Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Unjust movie billings

I still can't get over the fact that Melanie Griffith received only third billing in Working Girl - the whole movie was told from her perspective and she was in every single scene. Harrison Ford, who received the top billing, appears only about 40 minutes into the film and second billed Sigourney Weaver spends most of the movie lying offscreen at some Bavarian hospital.

Any other similar examples?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96June 23, 2018 11:56 PM

Ummmmmm the most famous people usually receive top billing in any production, even if they aren't the central character.

F&F OP for starting a stupid thread.

by Anonymousreply 1June 11, 2018 9:53 PM

Well, considering her co-stars were Indiana Jones and Ripley, it makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 2June 11, 2018 9:57 PM

So often it's the supporting actor who's the better.

by Anonymousreply 3June 11, 2018 9:59 PM

God, Harrison was attractive back then. That was probably the pinnacle of his hotness. However, what this movie taught us was that he's really not suited for any role where he's required to wear a tie.

by Anonymousreply 4June 11, 2018 9:59 PM

Marlon Brando in Superman

by Anonymousreply 5June 11, 2018 10:00 PM

Candice Bergen in "The Day the Fish Came Out" - top billed, but appears 68 minutes into the movie.

by Anonymousreply 6June 11, 2018 10:03 PM

I wish IMDB would publish the actor's pay as well as the credit billing.

I assume the agents haggle over all this and ask for trade-offs.

by Anonymousreply 7June 11, 2018 10:20 PM

Rita Hayworth in "Pal Joey" (1957) - should be Frank Sinatra.

by Anonymousreply 8June 11, 2018 10:38 PM

I actually thought Melinda Dillon deserved second billing behind Richard Dreyfus for "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" given that their two characters were the primary focus of the alien visitors throughout the film. (IIRC, Dillon's name does not appear until the end credits.)

I guess the consolation prize for Dillon is that hers was the only performance Oscar-nominated from the film.

by Anonymousreply 9June 11, 2018 11:43 PM

Dead Again, the Kenneth Branagh/Emma Thompson vehicule, back when people thought they were fresh and brilliant. Yet, the top billing went to Robin Williams and Andy Garcia, who were more famous (in more popular movies)at the time.

OP, don't worry for Melanie Grifith in Working Girls. She got a best actress nom for that film, that year. Sigourney got best supp actress nom. Harrison Ford got zilch.

by Anonymousreply 10June 11, 2018 11:52 PM

Didn’t Arnold Schwarzenegger get top billing in the Batman and Robin movie.?

by Anonymousreply 11June 12, 2018 12:20 AM

She was third, but she didn't care. She had a mind for business and a bod for sin.

by Anonymousreply 12June 12, 2018 12:24 AM

[quote]Marlon Brando in Superman

He and Gene Hackman both got above-title billing in that film, while poor Christopher Reeve got lumped in with the supporting players. But at least he wasn't listed alphabetically.

And how the heck did Michael Crawford get above-title billing with Streisand and Matthau in "Hello, Dolly"?

by Anonymousreply 13June 12, 2018 12:30 AM

If I was in a movie called "The Day the Fish Came Out" I would not want any billing at all.

by Anonymousreply 14June 12, 2018 1:02 AM

Falcon was always the worst about this! For example, Daniel Montes got the “Starring” credit in addition to being featured on the DVD cover, when he’s only in one scene! It should have been Travis Wade and Colby Taylor sharing the lead credits!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 12, 2018 1:56 AM

The white actors get their names above the black (and main) characters on the end credits of Pose.

by Anonymousreply 16June 12, 2018 1:59 AM

Sharon Stone below the title for BASIC INSTINCT.

Michael Douglas is such a putz.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 12, 2018 2:03 AM

I love both Brando and Gene Hackman is Superman. They were huge stars, they deserved their billing.

by Anonymousreply 18June 12, 2018 2:40 AM

John Wayne in The Greatest Story Ever Told had a blink-and-you-miss cameo and exactly one line, and yet he was featured very prominently on the film poster.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 12, 2018 2:47 AM

Thelma Ritter should have been top billed in "The Model and the Marriage Broker."

by Anonymousreply 20June 12, 2018 2:58 AM

R10, Robin Williams was uncredited for “Dead Again” (the billing on the poster was alphabetical, which was convenient for director Branagh, and Robin’s cameo wasn’t included), but he did get top billing over Matt Damon for “Good Will Hunting.”

by Anonymousreply 21June 12, 2018 3:08 AM

And Joan Collins As Alexis

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 12, 2018 3:09 AM

Both Harrison and Sigorney were much bigger stars than Melanie...everyone knows she was the "lead", but billing is usually star driven by your agent/manager, alphabetical or in order of appearance.... I could watch this movie over and over. I love how Dakota Johnson pays tribute to movie in 50 shades

by Anonymousreply 23June 12, 2018 3:23 AM

Thelma Ritter definitely deserved top billing (or at least equal to Gene Tierney) in "The Mating Season". It's Thelma movie and she has 4th billing. I think she also didn't get any billing in "Letter to Three Wives" or "Miracle on 34th Street". "Miracle" was for a standout scene, but she had a pretty big presence in "Letter to Three Wives".

by Anonymousreply 24June 12, 2018 3:27 AM

For dead again, Branagh got top billing and Emma Thompson was listed last of the five...The top five actors are listed in alphabetical order by last name. Robin Williams was not credited (at least on the poster.)

by Anonymousreply 25June 12, 2018 3:29 AM

an odd one is Monster's Ball It goes Billy Bob, then Heath Ledger then Halle Berry.

I'd say it was debatable whether Ledger was a bigger star than Halle at that point but his role was so small. It seems like it should be Billy Bob, Halle and then "and Heath Ledger."

by Anonymousreply 26June 12, 2018 3:42 AM

Faye Dunaway discusses Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct in her book. (I seem to be quoting this a lot see the Debra Winger thread.)

Faye says that Beatty gave her above the title billing even though she was unknown because it is Bonnie and Clyde....the two of them. (and he thought she would become a star from the film.)

Faye was friends with Stone and the pre-buzz was that Stone was going to get tremendous attention for the film and Stone asked if she could get her name above the title and Faye encouraged her to try but Michael Douglas fought it all the way. Nowadays you say Basic Instinct and Stone is the one who immediately comes to mind.

by Anonymousreply 27June 12, 2018 3:49 AM

It was always odd that Oprah didn't get her name on The Color Purple poster. Then Quincy Jones had one drawn up as a gift when he came on the show........and he spelled her name wrong.

by Anonymousreply 28June 12, 2018 3:50 AM

Shirley MacLaine has some odd ones. On The Turning Point they did that odd Anne Bancroft lower on the left but Shirley higher on the right.

On Terms of Endearment MacLaine got first billing on the film itself but Winger did in the ads and posters. (Shirley got the better deal. The movie is still around, the ads...not.)

by Anonymousreply 29June 12, 2018 3:52 AM

[quote]R27 Faye says that Beatty gave her above the title billing even though she was unknown because it is Bonnie and Clyde....the two of them. (and he thought she would become a star from the film.)

Yes, but Dunaway had to give back $25,000 of her salary before Beatty agreed. It's not like he just did it out of the goodness of his heart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 12, 2018 4:15 AM

she didn't mention that part in the book r30. She made it sound like he did it to be nice. Do you have a source for your info?

by Anonymousreply 31June 12, 2018 4:18 AM

[quote]And Joan Collins As Alexis

That is considered a prestige billing, not an afterthought. It's along the same lines as "And Special Guest Star" as the final cast member with an opening title credit. Collins' agent probably negotiated it that way.

by Anonymousreply 32June 12, 2018 4:29 AM

[quote]R31 she didn't mention that part in the book. She made it sound like he did it to be nice. Do you have a source for your info?

It's been known forever. It's usually mentioned in articles about Dunaway when they discuss her early determination, and that breakout role. I googled "dunaway bonnie and clyde salary billing" but didn't see anything immediately. It's in the imdb trivia section for that title...but you know, anyone can add anything there.

Anyway, it's a known fact. I think her original salary was $60,000. It was a low budget picture, and Beatty was probably glad to use that $25,000 elsewhere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33June 12, 2018 4:39 AM

R31 Some in-depth article about her career, like this one, will probably mention it. You'd have to request it at the library.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34June 12, 2018 5:06 AM

R28 At the time, though, Oprah wasn't "Oprah." I think she had either JUST started her show or was about to when she was cast in The Color Purple and the deals were signed.

by Anonymousreply 35June 12, 2018 1:14 PM

[quote] Anyway, it a known fact

...that a woman DO carry an evening bag at dinner time! There's no getting AROUNNNNNNNNND that!

by Anonymousreply 36June 12, 2018 1:31 PM

Hmmm I didnt know about that billing issue in Basic Instinct. But it hardly matters anyway as anybody who saw it knows who's the real star in it.

by Anonymousreply 37June 12, 2018 1:43 PM

[quote]anybody who saw it knows who's the real star in it.

Yes - Sharon Stone's vagina.

by Anonymousreply 38June 12, 2018 1:51 PM

[quote]Didn’t Arnold Schwarzenegger get top billing in the Batman and Robin movie.?

Yes, as did Jack Nicholson.

by Anonymousreply 39June 12, 2018 1:58 PM

R38 They call me Snatchie!

by Anonymousreply 40June 12, 2018 1:59 PM

Salma Hayek got second billing for “Once Upon a Time in Mexico” despite having about 60 seconds of screen time. The movie’s protragonist (Johnny Depp) got third billing.

Gwyneth Paltrow got billed I believe fourth in “Spider-Man: Homecoming” despite only being in one quick scene at the end.

Amanda Seyfried’s gotten screwed a couple of times. She was 7th in “Mamma Mia” despite being essentially the Co-lead. The “Mean Girls” billing order is also effed up; Seyfried is like 14th despite being on screen for most of the movie.

Schwarzenegger getting billed above Batman in “Batman & Robin”

Anna Paquin getting star billing in “X-Men: Days of Future Past” for a cameo. Even in the extended version with all of her scenes back in she still wasn’t the fifth main character in the movie.

I also thought it was random that Judah Friedlander got opening credits billing in “30 Rock” despite being essentially a background character.

by Anonymousreply 41June 12, 2018 2:04 PM

Cyn was the STAH! of that flick. They were all great though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42June 12, 2018 2:05 PM

Regardless of billing she got a best Actress nomination. A perfect part for her

by Anonymousreply 43June 12, 2018 2:13 PM

Catherine Zeta-Jones getting top billing in “Chicago” over Renee

by Anonymousreply 44June 12, 2018 2:20 PM

Age before beauty. Oh, wait.

by Anonymousreply 45June 12, 2018 2:25 PM

R44 Fake news! Renne received top billing in the movie's closing credits. But they did use the good ole' diagonal billing in the movie posters:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46June 12, 2018 2:26 PM

R46 they say Zeta-Jones’ name first in the trailer and if you look at the credits on the back of the DVD she’s also listed first. Either way she’s not the lead of the movie

by Anonymousreply 47June 12, 2018 3:23 PM

That little closet case dyke Jada Pinkett shouldn't have been on the Scream 2 poster.

by Anonymousreply 48June 12, 2018 3:29 PM

I'm surprised that Janis Wilson, who played Paul Henreid's daughter in Now Voyager, and had a pretty big role, wasn't even credited.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49June 12, 2018 3:41 PM

R38 Not just her vagina - her pubes too!

by Anonymousreply 50June 12, 2018 4:06 PM

John Stamos got top billing but his character was not the father, nor any of the daughter and the show was about a widowed father raising daughters.

by Anonymousreply 51June 12, 2018 4:15 PM

And for seven seasons, no less R41, even though he added little to the show and storylines rarely involved him.

by Anonymousreply 52June 12, 2018 6:09 PM

I don't believe Liz Taylor is billed in JANE EYRE.

Poor little tyke.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53June 12, 2018 6:19 PM

[quote]R50 Not just her vagina - her pubes too!

I never saw this on the big screen. It's difficult to see what exactly you're glimpsing on a smaller one.

Still, she looked waxed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54June 12, 2018 6:26 PM

R48, to that end, Deon Richmond shouldn’t have been on the poster for Scream 3. It had more to do with diversity than being a featured player.

by Anonymousreply 55June 12, 2018 6:29 PM

[quote]F&F OP for starting a stupid thread.

We're gonna have to be F&Fing a LOT of OPs.

by Anonymousreply 56June 12, 2018 6:31 PM

R21 and R25, I'm sure I remember from 1991, they billed Garcia and Williams. I thought it peculiar. Garcia was a bit more famous from the movie The Godfather.

Now I can't find an evidence of it on the internet.

It might have for the poster in another language. But I can't find that either.

Oh well.

by Anonymousreply 57June 12, 2018 10:50 PM

Joan van Ark was always at or near the end of the Knots Landing credits.

by Anonymousreply 58June 13, 2018 12:21 PM

Lori Petty got shunted behind Madonna to fourth, during billing for League of Their Own despite being the co-lead.

by Anonymousreply 59June 13, 2018 12:40 PM

I know it was a glorified cameo in a crowded movie, but for a star of Glenn Close's caliber to be left out of the promotions for Guardians of the Galaxy was a real injustice. I would have appreciated a warning.

by Anonymousreply 60June 13, 2018 1:19 PM

[Quote]Joan van Ark was always at or near the end of the Knots Landing credits. —She should've dropped the "van"

She should've changed it to Joan Aardvark.

by Anonymousreply 61June 13, 2018 1:44 PM

Surprised with all the Superman The Movie Reeve-Brando-Hackman talk yet no mention that the asshole Salkinds demoted Margot Kidder to 8th billed? The beginning of their punishment against her for publicly speaking up for Donner...

by Anonymousreply 62June 13, 2018 2:16 PM

They give top billing to whoever they think will sell the movie at the time. That's how Hollywood works.

by Anonymousreply 63June 16, 2018 2:31 AM

Oprah has discussed how she tried to get her name on the poster. She called them and said I have this talk show coming up and I think it might be good to put my name on the poster. They said no. It is odd since Margaret Avery is listed and I don't think she was very well known. Plus Rae Dawn Chong is on it and she is barely in it.

by Anonymousreply 64June 16, 2018 2:38 AM

Redford got top billing in Out of Africa even though I am the lead and I didn't even do an accent but Pollack was "fond" of him so......

by Anonymousreply 65June 16, 2018 2:39 AM

The only hit that comes out of a Helen Lawson show is Helen Lawson, and that's ME, baby, remember?

HELEN LASWSON

in

[bold]HIT THE SKY!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66June 16, 2018 2:44 AM

There are lots of films where the protagonist is a kid or teen, but the adult actors are billed first.

by Anonymousreply 67June 16, 2018 2:52 AM

Like "Ordinary People" (1980).

by Anonymousreply 68June 16, 2018 2:54 AM

Has anyone mentioned the most unjust billing of all, yet? How did Barrie Youngfellow get an 'and' billing on 'It's a Living' when she had never been heard of before or since?

by Anonymousreply 69June 16, 2018 3:27 AM

Crawford's billing above the title in Dolly is bizarre.

And his performance is even more bizarre. Musical comedy 'juvenile' as a mentally challenged Stan Laurel.

by Anonymousreply 70June 16, 2018 3:33 AM

Liv Tyler billed 3rd for "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy.

She's only in a handful of scenes and yet she is billed before Viggo Mortensen, who is a major character.

Maybe Peter Jackson had a thing for her.

by Anonymousreply 71June 16, 2018 5:20 AM

[quote]How did Barrie Youngfellow get an 'and' billing on 'It's a Living' when she had never been heard of before or since?

I'll have you know she played Joan Crawford in the miniseries MOVIOLA, alongside Sharon Gless as Carole Lombard!

A little RESPECT ! ! !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72June 16, 2018 5:35 AM

Are there clips from that??? ^^^

by Anonymousreply 73June 16, 2018 11:36 AM

Joanne Woodward and George C Scott have odd billing in They Might Be Giants. She had won an Academy Award so you would assume she would get top billing. It's as it is in the poster.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74June 16, 2018 12:31 PM

^ the film was released after his Oscar win for Patton, but then he declined it, remember? Whereas Joanne had accepted hers.

by Anonymousreply 75June 16, 2018 12:35 PM

It should've been " ... and Barrie Youngfellow, as the Beaver."

by Anonymousreply 76June 16, 2018 3:38 PM

R71, Liv Tyler was a pretty big star at the time thanks to “Armageddon,” as odd as it sounds now. She was probably the only one considered to have any box office appeal circa 1999 when filming began.

I wouldn’t be shocked if casting her was a mandate by the studio, not Jackson’s decision.

by Anonymousreply 77June 16, 2018 8:34 PM

You're tellimg me, R76

by Anonymousreply 78June 17, 2018 12:32 AM

The Poseidon Adventure.

As a kid it always bugged me that Jack Albertson just got co-starring billing with the kids. He was an Oscar winner like most of the rest of the cast.

by Anonymousreply 79June 17, 2018 12:35 AM

oh and i probably should add Manny! Manny! MANNY!"

by Anonymousreply 80June 17, 2018 12:36 AM

[quote]R73 Are there clips from that??? ^^^

I've never seen MOVIOLA on youtube or amazon prime or anything. It was a 3-part miniseries in the early 80's (?) with each evening being about a landmark Hollywood incident.

One night was THE SCARLETT O'HARA WARS, in which producer David O. Selznick (Tony Curtis?) considers different stars GONE WITH THE WIND. Some of the stars (the Tallulah Bankhead character, etc) just have 1 scene or so, but I seem to remember more time being spent on the Paulette Goddard character (who in real life was almost cast) and the Crawford character, who's the most driven and dedicated.

None of the three TV movies are very good. The one about Greta Garbo's romance with silent screen star John Gilbert is the best, the one about a young Marilyn Monroe being discovered by agent Johnie Hyde is the worst.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81June 17, 2018 8:36 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82June 17, 2018 8:37 PM

This is a bit of the Garbo segment: Audra Lindley (Mrs. Roper!) is playing Laura Hope Crewes (!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83June 17, 2018 8:42 PM

So, r74? She got top billing and he got first billing.

by Anonymousreply 84June 17, 2018 8:47 PM

Here is a bit from THE SCARLETT O'HARA WARS....but no Barrie Youngfellow as Crawford in it, sad to say.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85June 17, 2018 8:55 PM

Thanks, r85. She kind of resembles younger Crawford in those photos.

by Anonymousreply 86June 17, 2018 8:59 PM

[quote]OP, don't worry for Melanie Grifith in Working Girls. She got a best actress nom for that film, that year. Sigourney got best supp actress nom. Harrison Ford got zilch.

Sigourney was also nominated in the same year in the Best Actress category for "Gorillas in the Mist".

by Anonymousreply 87June 17, 2018 9:30 PM

Hattie McDaniel's should have had higher billing as a general rule.

by Anonymousreply 88June 17, 2018 10:37 PM

Due to protests in '67 when the film was rereleased in 70mm Hattie got marquee billing.

At least in New York.

by Anonymousreply 89June 17, 2018 10:47 PM

R89 Really. So Hattie got fake billing while Vivien got fake breasts

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90June 17, 2018 11:32 PM

[quote]This is a bit of the Garbo segment: Audra Lindley (Mrs. Roper!) is playing Laura Hope Crewes (!)

Today that part would be played by Senatrice Lindsey Graham.

by Anonymousreply 91June 18, 2018 12:43 AM

Danny DeVito in Ruthless People. He should have been billed third (or even fourth), after Judge Reinhold (1) and Bette (2); and Helen Slater.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92June 23, 2018 10:06 PM

Nobody-and I mean nobody-deserves to be billed after Helen Slater.

by Anonymousreply 93June 23, 2018 10:34 PM

In the "Judgment at Nuremberg" poster, Maximilian Schell is 5th or 6th billed (depending on how you place Judy, whose name is several notches lower), yet he walked away with all the top acting honors that awards year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94June 23, 2018 10:56 PM

R94 To be honest, Schell's role was flashy as hell but it still felt like more of a supporting role to me.

by Anonymousreply 95June 23, 2018 11:45 PM

Janet Leigh billed ahead of Angela Lansbury for 'The Manchurian Candidate'.

Leigh was a minor character who only appeared in a few scenes, whereas Lansbury was a pivotal character who was the main villain.

by Anonymousreply 96June 23, 2018 11:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!