Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Studio 54 documentary reveals what A-list celebrities REALLY got up to at the world famous nightclub

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82April 6, 2020 5:28 AM

Link didn't work for me, darling.

by Anonymousreply 1June 4, 2018 10:14 AM

Let's be honest.

No one under 50 gives a shit what happened at Studio 54.

by Anonymousreply 2June 4, 2018 10:32 AM

So basically, it will be like all of the other2548 documentaries/movies about that scene and era. Got it. If they have any fresh dirt, footage or photos, I'll be stunned. Likely just another rehash we don't need.

by Anonymousreply 3June 4, 2018 10:35 AM

What is today's Studio 54? L.A.'s Chateau Mormont?

by Anonymousreply 4June 4, 2018 10:47 AM

We all know by now that Studio 54 was the very height of 70's decadence, debauchery, and hedonism. Cocaine was King, and folks readily partook. Sex was going on all around the place, and we shudder to think was was going on in the basement. In other news, Charlotte York's little dog named "Elizabeth Taylor" got gang-banged in Central Park once.

by Anonymousreply 5June 4, 2018 10:51 AM

I used to go there when I went to FIT . It's sometimes got wild but not always. No one, as far as I could tell, was forced to do anything so calling it a me too experience is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 6June 4, 2018 11:00 AM

There’ve been lotsa tales of the cheeto’s Heavy coke use back then and there - wonder if anything concrete will come out about that...?

by Anonymousreply 7June 4, 2018 11:01 AM

R2 Then go to the Kesha thread, sweetie. It's more your speed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 4, 2018 11:28 AM

[quote]Let's be honest. No one under 50 gives a shit what happened at Studio 54.

You're 100% right. It's always a jarring moment when you are forced to realize or stumble across the realization that time really does march on and what was once really fascinating is now just something that happened somewhere a really long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 9June 4, 2018 11:33 AM

R9 gets it.

I was just becoming a teen in the late 1970s and even I don't give a shit what was going on at Studio 54.

Although I liked most of the disco music from this era, I certainly wasn't old enough, nor anywhere near old enough, to go to bars or clubs.

"Ooh, look! They were doing coke on the dance floor!!". Oooooh, so what??

As someone else implied, what "new" info could be gleaned by now. Been there, seen that, done that.

Just watch the 1998 movie "54" with Mike Meyers, sexy Ryan Phillippe, and cutie pie Breckin Meyer.

by Anonymousreply 10June 4, 2018 12:09 PM

The Studio 54 story has been told so many times, there can't be anything new to say about it.

by Anonymousreply 11June 4, 2018 12:29 PM

I hope they provide footage of Jussy Trudeaus sainted mother, Margaret, giving blow jobs in the balcony.

by Anonymousreply 12June 4, 2018 12:32 PM

Here's a review most should be able to click to.

I was supposedly a charter member, one of 3,000 gays on some list. My ex-roommate told me they'd sent me a card, but I hated disco and he wanted to use it to take people there, so I never even actually saw the card. They canceled the charter memberships, I've read, when Studio 54 became "Studio Fucking 54."

I went five or six times, I think. I actually danced with Liza at the opening of the NY Film Festival in 1977. I never had a problem getting in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 4, 2018 12:38 PM

What R2 doesn't understand (not that he should be expected to) is the cultural impact of Studio 54, especially on the gay community. Studio 54 brought the gay club subculture into the mainstream - for the first time, celebrities were hobnobbing with disco queens, leather studs, and transgender people and being celebrated and envied for it

Studio 54 made it easier for acidic queens like R2 to live their lives openly, without shame or apology. And more than 40 years after it opened its doors, it's still talked about and movies are still being made about it. Will anyone remember, say, Ke$ha 40 years from now?

It's too bad R2 won't watch this new documentary. It'd be a great educational experience.

by Anonymousreply 14June 4, 2018 1:31 PM

At this point, unless they're willing to show actual footage of Roman style orgies from Studio 54, I think we can all put it to bed for once and for all. NEXT!

by Anonymousreply 15June 4, 2018 1:48 PM

Maye the will, R15. Maybe they will.

by Anonymousreply 16June 4, 2018 1:50 PM

R14 has a good point - disco and Studio 54 most visibly brought gayness into the mainstream. Unfortunately, it spawned a viscous “Death to Disco” backlash which included a bunch of straight white men burning disco records. Which was symbolic of the whole 1980s anti-gay backlash and rejection of a lot of the gay cultural impact from the late 70s.

by Anonymousreply 17June 4, 2018 2:03 PM

R14, do you mean drag queens, dear? Transgender did not exist then. There were only a handful of sex changed people In existence.

by Anonymousreply 18June 4, 2018 2:09 PM

I met my first man-on-his-way-to-becoming-a-woman in 1978, r18. I don't recall what we called her—other than her name, of course.

by Anonymousreply 19June 4, 2018 2:12 PM

A Jewish place of exclusion and a ground zero for AIDS.

Jews kill.

by Anonymousreply 20June 4, 2018 8:56 PM

An FF for fakaktamaniac r20, someone?

by Anonymousreply 21June 4, 2018 9:18 PM

All the kids go to the third floor of the Spotted Pig nowadays..

by Anonymousreply 22June 4, 2018 9:29 PM

I can't understand why today's young people, who have such a shit culture, are so dismissive of what came before them.

by Anonymousreply 23June 5, 2018 12:14 AM

The attitude of many of the first posts here does not bode well for colleges and universities continuing to offer a major in History, I guess. Of course the saving grace is that this is datalounge, which is sadly not a hotbed for opinions that are massively supported. and no, I am not being ironic. oh hell, may I am.

by Anonymousreply 24June 5, 2018 12:29 AM

Xenon was better.

by Anonymousreply 25June 5, 2018 12:36 AM

What happened to great nightclubs in NYC?

by Anonymousreply 26June 5, 2018 12:39 AM

A young Alec Baldwin was a shirtless bartender there!

by Anonymousreply 27June 5, 2018 12:49 AM

[quote]The attitude of many of the first posts here does not bode well for colleges and universities continuing to offer a major in History, I guess.

You can't be serious. Not really caring about Studio 54 is not exactly an ignorance of history.

by Anonymousreply 28June 5, 2018 12:50 AM

Labias were flipping around like fish out of water on the dance floor. Just picture that. sounds delish.

by Anonymousreply 29June 5, 2018 12:53 AM

R18 must have an IQ in the low two-digits.

by Anonymousreply 30June 5, 2018 1:50 AM

Coke and sex

Got it

by Anonymousreply 31June 5, 2018 1:59 AM

I don't think any single club has achieved such prominence again. I mean, I was a nerdy teen on the west coast in those days, and even I knew that Studio 54 was THE place to be! I've never paid attention to night life, but Studio 54 was so fucking famous that even people who had no interest in disco or hitting the scene knew about it. There hasn't been anything like that since.

And BTW the "Disco Sucks" movement wasn't anti-gay, or wasn't entirely anti-gay. Some of us just hated the music, which was largely awful and fucking everywhere! I couldn't get away from it, no matter how hard I tried.

by Anonymousreply 32June 5, 2018 3:52 AM

[Quote] BTW the "Disco Sucks" movement wasn't anti-gay, or wasn't entirely anti-gay. Some of us just hated the music

You know nothing.

by Anonymousreply 33June 5, 2018 3:54 AM

R18 is not unintelligent, at least not based on that post alone.

No one was called “transgender” back then, they were transsexuals. Haven’t any of you PC geeks seen Dressed To Kill? The episode of Phil Donohue? The copious use of the term “transsexual” at the end of the movie? That was 1980.

It’s perfectly fine to call trans people from that time “transsexuals”, or, even better, trannies, or he-shes.

by Anonymousreply 34June 5, 2018 4:24 AM

Out past her bedtime on a school night?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35June 5, 2018 5:36 AM

Newer generations love retro things. According to Riverdale (yeah, LOL!) speakeasies are the next new retro thing.

by Anonymousreply 36June 5, 2018 6:45 AM

Nureyev and NINE YEAR OLD Ricky Schroeder dancing together at Studio 54 - shit, the pic won't post - google it, it's at the top of the page

by Anonymousreply 37June 5, 2018 9:59 AM

"...the "Disco Sucks" movement wasn't anti-gay or wasn't entirely anti-gay. Some of us just hated the music, which was largely awful and fucking everywhere!"

Keep telling yourself this. It was also racist.

by Anonymousreply 38June 5, 2018 10:09 AM

Here's little Drew Barrymore at Studio 54.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39June 5, 2018 10:54 AM

Can any of our Eldergays tell us what was on the Studio 54 childrens menu?

by Anonymousreply 40June 5, 2018 10:57 AM

Kiddie Coke.

But it came with a side of fries.

by Anonymousreply 41June 5, 2018 11:38 AM

[quote]Keep telling yourself this. It was also racist.

Let's be 1978.

by Anonymousreply 42June 5, 2018 12:41 PM

We already know what they were doing. Fucking each other over and over. Spreading disease and doing tons of drugs.

by Anonymousreply 43June 5, 2018 12:46 PM

R43 Mrs. Peabody

by Anonymousreply 44June 5, 2018 12:48 PM

Look at little Drew holding her head upthread - she had one too many - damn, WTF was wrong with her parents?!! Here's Schroder with Nureyev

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45June 5, 2018 12:50 PM

Studio 54 wasn't even the most interesting club in NYC at the time. Why would anyone care about a bunch of useless celebrities, a cunt on the door, and mediocre music?

by Anonymousreply 46June 5, 2018 12:50 PM

Here's the old lady who was a regular and eventually died of a coke overdose (at least in the movie she did)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47June 5, 2018 1:00 PM

r47 Disco Sally?

by Anonymousreply 48June 5, 2018 1:16 PM

R46 agreed. Celebrities are GROSS.

by Anonymousreply 49June 5, 2018 1:20 PM

Kids were allowed in? I've never heard of that happening at a nightclub before.

by Anonymousreply 50June 5, 2018 1:20 PM

R18 is correct

by Anonymousreply 51June 5, 2018 1:20 PM

^ Disco Sally - The one and only. Let's hope the horny stud holding her didn't take her up to the balcony

by Anonymousreply 52June 5, 2018 1:20 PM

No one cares anymore. This could have been interseting 25 years ago

by Anonymousreply 53June 5, 2018 1:21 PM

R53 Says the bitter queen who cares enough to come to the thread, scroll through the comments, then care enough to post a comment about how no one cares.

by Anonymousreply 54June 5, 2018 1:23 PM

Margaret Trudeaux (Justin's mama) with Ryan O'Neal

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55June 5, 2018 1:36 PM

R10: 54 was extremely disappointing. It had so much potential to be really good.

by Anonymousreply 56June 5, 2018 3:07 PM

Studio 54 was the original Starck Club.

by Anonymousreply 57June 5, 2018 3:09 PM

It was some kind of spectacle mixing mostly over the top good looking gay men with celebrity culture (my brother and his straight preppy friends could be found there as well on any give night)- it was hardly the first place where gay men mixed with celebrity- Hurrah comes to mind, and there were other clubs in the early 70s. Most of all, gay clubs like Flamingo were in full swing earlier and at the same time. It was quite an era and I had a blast. You could go out any night of the week and the concentration of gorgeous men was, well, a lot of fun- understatement of the week. Nothing like it now- I try very hard to avoid the ole "when I was young...." But I quietly feel very lucky to have been young then and survived. Now the Saint... lol

by Anonymousreply 58June 5, 2018 3:29 PM

They never let me in!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59June 5, 2018 3:37 PM

No, r33, you’re wrong. Taking it personally as a gay person is beyond preposterous. I hated disco too and I’m as gay as Richard Simmons. Other people I grew up with who also hated disco never once even associated disco with gayness. It was always the greasy Tony Manero polyester shirt with the gold chain thing we railed against.

by Anonymousreply 60March 3, 2019 4:53 AM

[quote]I can't understand why today's young people, who have such a shit culture,

No culture at all actually. Tide pods, anyone?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61March 3, 2019 5:01 AM

“We already know what they were doing. Fucking each other over and over.”

No, usually just the once.

by Anonymousreply 62March 3, 2019 5:38 AM

This club is abusive. Never speak its name again.

by Anonymousreply 63March 3, 2019 5:40 AM

Was it kid's night with Ricky? There is another kid there. So bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 64March 3, 2019 6:02 AM

Anderson Cooper talks about his mom dragging him there as a little kid too. Maybe taking your tot to the club like a trendy accessory was the cool thing to do in the 70s. Millennials take their babies to breweries and bars nowadays too, but that's probably because childcare costs too much nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 65March 3, 2019 7:37 AM

Drug abuse in music predates rock and disco.

by Anonymousreply 66March 3, 2019 12:48 PM

I’m sure Anita Bryant wasn’t a big disco fan either.

by Anonymousreply 67March 3, 2019 12:50 PM

All you disco haters are to blame for the fact that what came after has mostly been total crap. You killed disco only to replace it with the most crassly commercial douchebaggy White hetero gentile male crapola ever recorded. Give me “Copacabana” any day over these metal morons.

by Anonymousreply 68March 3, 2019 12:51 PM

Why don’t they make 50 documentaries on how crazy Roxy was in the early 90’s? That was a great mixture until the shirtless Chelsea queens took over and made it exclusively gay.

by Anonymousreply 69March 3, 2019 1:11 PM

One thing in my early 20's (I was 20 years old in 1984) was caring for people with HIV. The stories they told were amazing. But the reality is up to my ankles in shit then and I have a cast iron stomach in my 50's now. Puke, blood, doesn't bother me. Just clean it up, bleach the hell out of the surface and move on.

by Anonymousreply 70March 3, 2019 1:35 PM

Margaret Trudeau would probably be diagnosed with borderline personality disorder these days. There's a fantastic 2002 Canadian TV miniseries with Colm Feore and Polly Shannon about Justin's parents. BTW to snicker over Margaret giving blowjobs at Studio 54 is like ridiculing a fish for swimming.

by Anonymousreply 71March 3, 2019 1:40 PM

Liza liked to suck off Nureyev and lots of other men at 54, but she denies it all.

by Anonymousreply 72April 6, 2020 1:25 AM

Ne plus ultra ménage à trois.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73April 6, 2020 1:33 AM

R23, I can't understand why old people are so dismissive of young people when old people are responsible for the fact that Donald Trump is president

by Anonymousreply 74April 6, 2020 1:34 AM

R34, are you Tucker Carlson? You seem pretty dumb and reactionary

by Anonymousreply 75April 6, 2020 1:35 AM

I am low key obsessed with Studio 54. It really seemed like it was the last truly carefree, consequence free party atmosphere. It was a snapshot of the 70s, a decade of enormous change. It still interests me, the 70s in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 76April 6, 2020 1:37 AM

[quote]I can't understand why today's young people, who have such a shit culture, are so dismissive of what came before them.

Every generation is dismissive of the ones before it.

It shows an appalling lack of introspection and observation for you to walk around thinking otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 77April 6, 2020 1:43 AM

R17 being gay or bisexual was already well known about in the USA long before studio 54 ever opened. The loft parties in NYC, stonewall riots, and pride events were much more effective.

The disco sucks backlash was because disco was overplayed everywhere in the 1970s, and mass-produced. It had nothing to do with racism or homophobia. There was good disco like Donna Summer, and bad disco like disco duck and other songs.

by Anonymousreply 78April 6, 2020 1:57 AM

It was straight white guys leading the Disco Sucks backlash and, yes, racism and homophobia had a lot to do with it

by Anonymousreply 79April 6, 2020 1:58 AM

Studio 54 was not the "first time" gays and celebs clubbed together. You were a gayling who didn't know or respect pre-Stonewall gay history, but you expect new generations to sit at your feet and absorb your wisdom.

by Anonymousreply 80April 6, 2020 4:40 AM

And sorry R78 but you were both a racist and a homophobe back then. Just own it and claim you're a better man now.

by Anonymousreply 81April 6, 2020 4:41 AM

Ne plus ultra ultra ménage à trois.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82April 6, 2020 5:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!