Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why Have So Many Gay Actors Played The Role Of "Bobby" In Company?

The show was written for Anthony Perkins, who at the last minute had to drop out.

But the list of gay actors who played "Bobby" in Company

Larry Kert

George Chakiris (National Tour)

John Barrowman

Raul Esparza (Bisexual)

Neil Patrick Harris

Jonathan Groff

Why are so many gay actors attracted to the part of Bobby?

by Anonymousreply 23June 11, 2018 2:12 AM

Because a girl's gotta eat!

by Anonymousreply 1May 30, 2018 9:04 PM

Because Bobby requires a certain charm that only we can provide.

by Anonymousreply 2May 30, 2018 9:04 PM

Only a gay man can convey the emotion needed to belt out "Being Alive"

by Anonymousreply 3May 30, 2018 9:06 PM

I wouldn't say that Esparza "played" Bobby. I saw the production and I'd say he chomped his way through the role with overwrought theatrics.

by Anonymousreply 4May 30, 2018 9:09 PM

Bobby is Sondheim, the gay friend of all these married couples. So it makes sense that Bobby would be played by a gay actor.

In fact, very occasionally Bobby is played as gay and the girlfriends are boyfriends. (It's been once or twice IIRC, though I've not seen any of those performances.)

by Anonymousreply 5May 30, 2018 9:23 PM

^^

Jesus, this tired old pronouncement again? George Furth wrote the book, r5, not Sondheim.

by Anonymousreply 6May 30, 2018 11:12 PM

Bobby was closeted

by Anonymousreply 7June 2, 2018 2:30 AM

This strikes me as kind of a stupid question, OP. With all due respect.

by Anonymousreply 8June 2, 2018 4:31 PM

Surprised that Anthony Perkins was first choice for Bobby with a horrible singing voice like this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 9, 2018 12:17 AM

[quote] This strikes me as kind of a stupid question, OP. With all due respect.

Why? Dean Jones who played the part was straight

by Anonymousreply 10June 9, 2018 12:18 AM

Possibly there are more gay singing actors than straight ones?

Sue me, but I thought Perkins was wonderful in Greenwillow (which was not a good property)--he just sort of broke your heart when his voice cracked on the last "marry". Maybe that was a quality that would have worked well for Bobby. Dean Jones had the same kind of quality, but with a more reliable singing voice.

by Anonymousreply 11June 9, 2018 12:30 AM

[quote]Jesus, this tired old pronouncement again? George Furth wrote the book, [R5], not Sondheim.

Yes my son, I think there’s actually some truth to it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 9, 2018 12:44 AM

baloney.

by Anonymousreply 13June 9, 2018 2:12 AM

Dean Jones remains the definitive Bobby and as noted he was straight.

And how many people left alive saw him originally in the role? Like maybe two? Hal Prince and Steve Sondheim?

by Anonymousreply 14June 9, 2018 2:16 AM

The character of Bobby is definitlet closested and "being alive" is his " I wanna come out" anthem. Many gays related to this. Would love to see the new west end production with a female Bobby

by Anonymousreply 15June 9, 2018 2:42 AM

You are making this up. People saw him as straight and he was played as straight when the show opened.

You are looking back and making him gay. That is why there is now that idiotic homosexual pass to show people much to their relief he is not gay.

Being Alive is not I Am What I Am. It is the 'I want' song coming at the end not at the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 16June 9, 2018 3:26 AM

give it up, r15. you can interpret the show and the song and relate to them any way you want, I guess, but it's absurd for you to attribute intent and meaning to the authors.

by Anonymousreply 17June 9, 2018 3:40 AM

Vince Edwards (Dr. Ben Casey) played Bobby on a tour- str8.

by Anonymousreply 18June 9, 2018 4:15 AM

Bobbi is being played by a woman in the Marianne Elliott production in the UK At the Gielgud from September 26 to December 22? Sondheim gave his blessing to the decision after attending a workshop that tested the concept.

by Anonymousreply 19June 9, 2018 4:28 AM

Bobby, Bobby, Bobby, Bobby

by Anonymousreply 20June 9, 2018 3:50 PM

Bobby! Bobby! Bobby Baby! Bobby bubi! Robert! Robert darling!....

by Anonymousreply 21June 9, 2018 3:56 PM

You loved her as Millie Loman and Professor Carol Hill ... now the Little Theater of Schenectady proudly presents Miss Bobbi Adler as Bobbi in "Company!"

by Anonymousreply 22June 9, 2018 4:06 PM

Broadway night tonight!

by Anonymousreply 23June 11, 2018 2:12 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!