Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Amazon GO - Cashierless Store

Has anyone here tried it?

I can't wait until it comes to my city.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52May 22, 2018 12:29 AM

The Amazon book stores in NYC are cashierless.

You buy books using your Amazon account

by Anonymousreply 1May 16, 2018 3:58 PM

Yeah, but this one is a grocery store.

I can only imagine the theft that will be taking place.

by Anonymousreply 2May 16, 2018 4:13 PM

YEA!!!!!!!!!

Free groceries!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Woohoo!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 3May 16, 2018 4:15 PM

I think cameras are on you at all times. That's how they know what youre purchasing

by Anonymousreply 4May 16, 2018 4:16 PM

I hope it's not as glitchy as hotel room mini bars.

by Anonymousreply 5May 16, 2018 4:16 PM

Will they have employees at the door to compare your receipt to the items in your bag? They do that at Best Buy during the holiday shopping season.

by Anonymousreply 6May 16, 2018 4:22 PM

After the miserable cashier I just had to deal with at Sainsbury's in London just now, I hope we get them here. We do have self scanning guns which is great - you scan your own items as you go around, but this looks even better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 16, 2018 4:24 PM

You just eat the food as you go. No evidence.

by Anonymousreply 8May 16, 2018 4:25 PM

Screw Amazon. It's only doing this because of reverse showrooming and competitors offering free pickup. Hope it bombs spectacularly.

by Anonymousreply 9May 16, 2018 4:36 PM

[quote]No I did NOT take the $19.95 toblerone!

Sir, we have video of you wiping brown stains off the sheets. Unless you're trying to tell us that was something other than chocolate.

by Anonymousreply 10May 16, 2018 4:39 PM

Is everything pre-packaged, or do they also have fresh stuff like veggies and meats?

by Anonymousreply 11May 16, 2018 7:54 PM

Are there humans present at all? I’m assuming it’s like a supermarket with stock people, maybe someone at a service desk, people to help operate the machine and an asset protection crew.

by Anonymousreply 12May 16, 2018 8:02 PM

Eventually all stores will be like this.

Already most stores have self checkout.

by Anonymousreply 13May 16, 2018 8:05 PM

I don’t think so. Most people want some humans there, especially older folks (which Americans have an ever growing number). Maybe some of the more premium stores will still have people and that will help separate your business from others.

I know the supermarket I used to manage had a great atmosphere because of the nice, friendly employees we hired. It made customers enjoy coming to our store. If it were up to me, I’d do whatever I could to keep that going.

by Anonymousreply 14May 16, 2018 8:16 PM

Soon enough, we'll be going out into fields to pick our own groceries, since fascist Trumpians are deporting all the workers.

by Anonymousreply 15May 16, 2018 8:16 PM

[quote] Most people want some humans there

What we want doesn't mean shit for businesses.

if the olds want help they'll pay a premium for it.

by Anonymousreply 16May 16, 2018 8:19 PM

I don't particularly want people there, but those people need a job, I am not gonna contribute to something that is further gonna erode poor people's stability and wipe out livelihoods. Same reason i do not do automated checkout.

Amazon doesn't need more money anyway does it? they already get enough from me. I am not comfortable with them having a monopoly on books as it is.

by Anonymousreply 17May 16, 2018 8:23 PM

R16 = millennial shit-bat who can't cook at all and has his supper delivered by an immigrant on a scooter.

by Anonymousreply 18May 16, 2018 8:26 PM

I go to about 5 different stores to get what I need, Whole Foods, though they are near me, is not one of them. My favorite is a Vietnamese supermarket with lots of fresh & unusual produce, and it's inexpensive and I don't think I will ever live long enough to see that store automated. This Amazon GO is for a niche market, one that pays lip service to environmental issues yet shops at a place that entombs everything in plastic, which is not recyclable. It eventually ends up in a landfill or furnace.

by Anonymousreply 19May 16, 2018 9:26 PM

No more cashiers with shitty attitudes.

Yay!

by Anonymousreply 20May 16, 2018 9:29 PM

If you run in there and steal some shit and run back out will they shoot you on the way out the door?

by Anonymousreply 21May 16, 2018 9:31 PM

Do it then let us know, R21.

by Anonymousreply 22May 16, 2018 9:35 PM

If you run out with some shit, they just put it on your bill on your Amazon account.

by Anonymousreply 23May 16, 2018 10:45 PM

I refuse to use self checkout. I don't want to be part of people losing there jobs.If I can avoid it I will.

by Anonymousreply 24May 16, 2018 10:57 PM

Walmart tried and abandoned it because nobody wanted to use it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25May 16, 2018 11:01 PM

R18 Wrong, I'm in my 40s.

I'd prefer the old way, too. But business do. NOT. give a fuck.

by Anonymousreply 26May 16, 2018 11:04 PM

Remember when people said they didn’t want to use a machine to withdraw cash when they could easily walk into a bank branch and get it from the teller?

by Anonymousreply 27May 16, 2018 11:08 PM

No I don't.

I remember people being glad to be able to get money at midnight

by Anonymousreply 28May 16, 2018 11:13 PM

[QUOTE]Remember when people said they didn’t want to use a machine to withdraw cash when they could easily walk into a bank branch and get it from the teller?

No, but I remember when people said that bank tellers would be made obsolete by machines that can be used to withdraw cash. Yet here we are with more bank tellers than ever.

by Anonymousreply 29May 16, 2018 11:16 PM

[quote] Yet here we are with more bank tellers than ever.

Where do YOU bank at?

Most banks have one, maybe two tellers at any time, so you can certainly get one if you wished, but you'll wait in a much longer line. They expect everyone to do their shit over the phone, at an ATM or online.

by Anonymousreply 30May 16, 2018 11:18 PM

That’s because there’s more banks than we had back then. You have two tellers at 30 banks within close driving distance as opposed to 10 tellers at 3 banks. But the fact remains that the overall amount of tellers increased after the advent of the ATM.

by Anonymousreply 31May 16, 2018 11:30 PM

On Fridays and at busy moments, my credit union has about 5 tellers.

The Amazon store doesn't appeal to me. I might peek in to check it out, but I'm not down with prepackaged Ikea food.

by Anonymousreply 32May 17, 2018 5:33 AM

Publix doesn't have self-checkout, at least the 4-5 around me don't. Service is better at some than others, but someone is always in the aisles and if you ask for something, they usually take you right to it, and smile while doing so.

The cashiers at my store have been their for years, many of them anyhow. They are usually very pleasant and remember me. Maybe going in every other day helps their memory.

Anyhow, I hope Publix fights this trend. It seems the last bastion of service ( though spotty at times) in the industry.

by Anonymousreply 33May 17, 2018 5:49 AM

The ghetto niggers and AIDS infested homos will steal these stores into bankruptcy.

by Anonymousreply 34May 17, 2018 7:07 AM

"Amazon doesn't need more money anyway, does it?"

Fuck off and die, asshole!!!!!

HAHAHAHA!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 35May 17, 2018 11:18 AM

I imagine Walmart abandoned self checkout because (a) the poors are more likely to steal and (b) no Trump voter would be smart enough to operate such a thing. "This here thing is one of them there liberal elitist contraptions! Lock her up!"

by Anonymousreply 36May 17, 2018 12:41 PM

And you think the Amazon Store will be some high class boutique-like joint? If “the poors” (who make up the majority of America) don’t take to it then it won’t reach mass adoption.

by Anonymousreply 37May 17, 2018 12:47 PM

Walmart still has self checkout. What they got rid of is the scanning thing. (But Sam's Club still has it.)

by Anonymousreply 38May 17, 2018 4:08 PM

[quote]The ghetto niggers and AIDS infested homos will steal these stores into bankruptcy.

Good to hear some Republican voices on DL for a change

by Anonymousreply 39May 17, 2018 4:22 PM

[QUOTE]Walmart still has self checkout.

Self checkout is like the ATM: it will never put cashiers out of business. Nobody’s going through there with $300 worth of groceries.

by Anonymousreply 40May 21, 2018 8:56 PM

I'm looking forward to the forthcoming Amazon storeless stores. No cashiers, no checkouts, no bags, no goods. You just swipe your credit card at the door, it sends all your money direct to an offshore tax-free Amazon bank account and then you suck Jeff Bezos' cheesy old dick before he calls the police and has you removed. Now, that's service!

by Anonymousreply 41May 21, 2018 9:03 PM

"Most people want humans there."

Tell that to Jeff Bezos who is not human.

by Anonymousreply 42May 21, 2018 9:07 PM

Less human cashiers, less government taxes being paid = less government services.

I hate these self check-outs. I don't want to work in these store checking my own items and bagging them. DO YOU THINK AMAZON WILL PAY OUR TAXES?

by Anonymousreply 43May 21, 2018 9:59 PM

Self checkouts are great as a supplementary feature. And that’s all they will be for the time being. They help ease congestion. And remember that there are still people manning the machines, watching the machines and performing maintenance on the machines. Relax and stop worrying about them putting cashiers out of business—it’s NOT happening.

by Anonymousreply 44May 21, 2018 10:03 PM

The fact is, if companies like Amazon could do everything they need to without having to pay employees to do them they would. And it's only a matter of time before they can. The phrase "cashierless" is kind of funny, though. The cashier is the person the company pays to process the goods for the customer. These new stores still have cashiers. The customers are the cashiers. The only difference is YOU AIN'T GETTING PAID.

by Anonymousreply 45May 21, 2018 10:10 PM

[QUOTE]And it's only a matter of time before they can.

A long, long time.

by Anonymousreply 46May 21, 2018 10:12 PM

r46 Some companies in Europe - like Ocado - are already using warehouses where robots do all the processing of stock. Amazon are already piloting drone use for deliveries. Now we have cashierless stores. I'm finding it hard to think of a significant logistical process which isn't being currently tested for automated delivery. And we know that these companies are putting huge amounts of capital into developing these technologies, precisely because running their operations without having to pay employees will mean huge increases in their profit margins.

by Anonymousreply 47May 21, 2018 10:17 PM

[quote]Less human cashiers

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 48May 21, 2018 11:17 PM

Everyone gets so upset at the mention of Walmart. Look what they did to mom and pop stores! But that is nothing compared to the effect of Amazon and how this pushes every other competitor, sestrots competitors and destroys jobs. Over supply of workers? Lower wages. This is really frightening for the future.

by Anonymousreply 49May 21, 2018 11:24 PM

[quote]Walmart tried and abandoned it because nobody wanted to use it.

My Kroger has it, but it was already in the store for their own employees to use for the store's online ordering with pickup, and for Instacart. I like all these options, including scan 'n go. It's very fast once you get used to it.

Note that Amazon's system doesn't use scanners at all. The numerous cameras track you and everything you take off the shelf...or put back.

by Anonymousreply 50May 21, 2018 11:40 PM

There are a growing number of eateries in Manhattan that have stopped handling cash and accept credit cards only, claiming it's more efficient. I have systematically stopped patronizing these places, which I have told them point blank that I will not be back. I reserve the right to pay in cash if I wish and I shouldn't have to use a credit or debit card when I have cash on me.

by Anonymousreply 51May 22, 2018 12:13 AM

It is hard to fly without a credit card now.

Also, rent a car.

by Anonymousreply 52May 22, 2018 12:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!