Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

When Widescreen Movies Show Less Picture

Does anyone notice how we often lose a lot of important visual information when a movie is matted for widescreen? Sure, it's the directors and cinematographers intent and all that but it's often fun to see a movie again in full screen or anamorphic and notice details you have never seen before. However, in the case of classic films, watching them again in widescreen makes it feel like we're losing something.

I just watched the widescreen version of Ice Castles in HD and while the scene with a half naked Robby Benson is still there, something seemed off since you only see him from the waist up. So I watched a clip of that scene from a cable broadcast, and Robby's epic and prolonged bulge shot is there and clear as day. Can anyone else cite specific examples where this type of thing has happened?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 14, 2018 5:46 AM

I deeply care about the proper framing format for "Ice Castles."

by Anonymousreply 1May 14, 2018 5:20 AM

That's how we got a lot of cock shots of actors that were never meant to be seen, like Patrick Dempsey's dick which was not seen in theaters. But then the TV version, oopsie, it shows the top and bottom that was never meant to be seen.

by Anonymousreply 2May 14, 2018 5:46 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!