Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Update on "Dune" reboot

I loved the 1984 "Dune" (it was on tv the other night, btw) and the re-boot is imminent. I love these franchises where a distinct world is built over multiple films, as if an old legend is being fully told.

What 70's - 80's Sci-Fi /Fantasy franchises or films would you like to see revived?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19February 1, 2019 9:28 AM

Enemy Mine.

Those Jan Michael Vincent sci-fi flicks.

by Anonymousreply 1May 13, 2018 1:29 PM

Liquid Sky reboot for the opoid crisis.

by Anonymousreply 2May 13, 2018 1:31 PM

Please tell me Ryan Gosling is not involved.....It's one of my fav books /movies and his take on Blade Runner was dull enough...

I'd love to see Silent Running remade (without cheap CGI)

by Anonymousreply 3May 13, 2018 1:44 PM

I’d have liked to see the Alexander Jodorowsky take on “Dune.” But, without decent actors, and a coherent script, it might have ended up as messy and compacted as the David Lynch version. Great concept art does not a great film make.

There were two TV miniseries of the material: “Dune” and its immediate sequel, “Dune Messiah,” which were well received, but I never saw them. Both are available on DVD.

by Anonymousreply 4May 13, 2018 1:50 PM

Studios keep threatening to revive all of them...but doing the whole multi-film world-building thing is fraught with peril, unless you're shooting multiple films at the same time. Even then things can happen, as with Superman The Movie and Superman II.

Probably my favorite example of a multi-film sci-fi franchise is the original Planet of the Apes series, probably because there was no real plan in place for a 5-film cycle. They just kind of winged it, and it turned out to be surprisingly coherent and compelling, and the first real example of a Time Loop/Moebius Strip story concept in movies or TV. It would have been grand if Battle for the Planet of the Apes had kept its' original ending, with Taylor's spaceship crashing into the more idyllic version of the future we see at the end of Battle.

The plotline to the unmade sequel to the 98' Lost in Space film was surprisingly ambitious, with the Robinsons essentially becoming caught up in an espionage storyline involving the seditionists from the first film. I'm actually quite sorry they never managed the follow-up.

by Anonymousreply 5May 13, 2018 1:56 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 7, 2019 1:53 AM

The only thing DataLounge cares about.....is Timmy still attached and will it have full frontal nudity ?

by Anonymousreply 7January 7, 2019 1:58 AM

Forget another Dune reboot, give us the Foundation movie, or now tv series supposedly being done by Apple.

Coruscant from Star Wars was modeled after Trantor from Foundation.

by Anonymousreply 8January 7, 2019 2:02 AM

Yeah I’d like to see a Foundation series. They’ve been talking about it for years (as a movie at least), but this is the closest it’s been to development though. There was talk of a Rama movie and a Gateway tv series as well.

by Anonymousreply 9January 7, 2019 2:07 AM

So sick of these reboots of the same old things - there’s so many fantastic fantasy and science fiction books out there that would make awesome tv/film. I guess it’s easier getting a green light on something that’s already been made though? It reassures the powers that hold the purse strings the vehicle has appeal? Because someone’s already made the decision before (in some cases, a few times before!)

by Anonymousreply 10January 7, 2019 2:10 AM

Oscar Issac is going to play Duke Leto. Great casting!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11February 1, 2019 3:29 AM

Wow. I love Dune, but this reboot is going to fucking suck. Two flat actors playing Leto and Paul Atreides......that's the heart and the sole of the movie gone right there.....

by Anonymousreply 12February 1, 2019 3:46 AM

^ soul...d'oh

by Anonymousreply 13February 1, 2019 3:47 AM

Well, Leto is only in the first 1/3 of the story, so not sure what you mean.

by Anonymousreply 14February 1, 2019 3:50 AM

It was already re-booted - quite successfully I think. And certainly more faithful to the narrative arc which the film, inevitably, had to truncate (to the point of confusion.) That said, here are the two scenes from that film which are absolutely fantastic. The first - for all it's portentous splendour - that baroque doorway! Genius. The special effects which then follow are comical and kind of ruin the effect of those opening 60 seconds. But those first 60 seconds are mesmerising.

The second great scene to follow below:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15February 1, 2019 3:51 AM

Chalamet and Zendaya are embarrassing choices. This is looking like Disney high school musical with these baby faced kids

by Anonymousreply 16February 1, 2019 3:55 AM

And here's the arrival of the navigator to the Emperor. All the menace! All the fear. And that great line, "the bene gesserit witch must leave."

Great stuff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17February 1, 2019 3:56 AM

The scope for both Dune and Foundation is far too broad to cram into a movie or even a miniseries. Since both would be CGI fests anyway I've felt for a long time that an extended high-grade animated series might be the best chance to do them justice. But fat chance that will occur.

by Anonymousreply 18February 1, 2019 3:57 AM

It's been a few decades, but I remember "Dune" being overwhelmingly sexist, and the hero worm-riding people were clearly modeled on our planets Bedouin.

Perhaps this isnt a great time to come out with something where the good guys treat women as property.

by Anonymousreply 19February 1, 2019 9:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!