Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why are overly bleached teeth so popular in America?

Sure, there's nothing more beautiful than a sparkly white smile but if you ask me a set of unnaturally white choppers like this (which is a common sight especially in the US) is just as bad as yellow teeth are.

My teeth still look gorgeous even without any bleach so what does this tell us about people who get these procedures done - that they are nasty smokers who were too lazy to brush their teeth on a regular basis?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25May 10, 2018 7:28 AM

Um, who cares. There is no interesting explanation.

by Anonymousreply 1May 10, 2018 12:48 AM

I am American, of mainly UK descent so maybe the criticism is in my blood (also I have quite imperfect teeth), but I find it disturbing, too. A few visits abroad have been jarring when I’ve turned on the hotel room TV and seen newscasters and actors with...real teeth. And then after a day or two, I always end up thinking “what the fuck is wrong with Americans?”

by Anonymousreply 2May 10, 2018 12:51 AM

r2 you will notice that you offer no explanation, just a further whine.

by Anonymousreply 3May 10, 2018 12:53 AM

You can’t handle the tooth!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 10, 2018 12:56 AM

I dunno. I’m American and don’t see the point of it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 10, 2018 12:57 AM

I think the crazy white teeth trend is ending. We’ll forever favor white teeth over the yellow shit Europeans have in their mouths

by Anonymousreply 6May 10, 2018 12:59 AM

Hahaha r4. I’m sending that to my sister.

by Anonymousreply 7May 10, 2018 1:01 AM

Who wants yellow English teeth, baby?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 10, 2018 1:02 AM

There's absolutely nothing wrong with tooth whitening but Americans (in their usual fashion) managed to take this one a bit too far as well.

I watched some interview with Cheryl Hines recently and I couldn't take my eyes off her blinding teeth.

by Anonymousreply 9May 10, 2018 1:06 AM

Beacause we are major Coffee Drinkers and that stuff is hell on tooth enamel.

by Anonymousreply 10May 10, 2018 1:08 AM

OK, R3, here’s the explanation part. American people’s lives come down to self-service, pride and wealth and accumulation. We are all narcissists and we must show off our worth to everyone to feel good enough. Teeth are a commodity that is directly tied to wealth. Dental care is not covered by American health insurance and so a person or a family has to be well off to maintain “perfect” teeth. Wealthier people won’t stop at orthodontics: they need bigger, whiter teeth. They buy veneers at $2,000 per tooth that last a decade, maximum. It’s an ostentatious showing of wealth and luxury, just as are facial injections and plastic surgery. From the perspective of most living creatures, a Real Housewife face looks mutilated, but we are trained to think it looks “ageless” because we know someone paid a fortune for it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11May 10, 2018 1:09 AM

Veneers are creepy. Young teeth in old heads.

by Anonymousreply 12May 10, 2018 1:13 AM

I had a run of dentists a decade ago who did everything they could to manipulate, trick and shame me into getting bleaching or thousands of dollars worth of veneers onto me. I don't have yellow teeth but speckled teeth because of fluorosis, so they saw me as an easy mark. When manipulation didn't work, they used trickery, tried to make it seem absolutely necessary that for the sake of one tooth being drilled with a white filling, I had to get all of my teeth veneered or bleached so the rest of my mouth would "match" the one tooth. Which is bullshit because dentists actually have a process in which they can color match fillings and/or crowns.

So, to answer the question, I think that the reason why so many Americans have "white teeth"is that dentists have been hard selling them hardcore for the past two decades and patients have either been caving in to pressure or were tricked somehow into getting them.

by Anonymousreply 13May 10, 2018 1:32 AM

OP: That's a very good question!

by Anonymousreply 14May 10, 2018 1:35 AM

I could use it, but I'm concerned about the effects on tooth enamel.

by Anonymousreply 15May 10, 2018 2:05 AM

As an American with Irish parents, white teeth were a hot commodity. But after much work, now as an eldergay my teeth are yellowish. None of my dentists have ever recommended whitening or anything other than medical/ hygienic treatment. In fact, I’ve had two reject my request because they said it would be bad for my teeth.

by Anonymousreply 16May 10, 2018 2:11 AM

Yes, r13. The first time I saw someone with those REALLY white teeth was probably 1995.

I don’t believe it’s good for them in the long run. I remember my childhood dentist saying that teeth with a yellowish cast are stronger than whiter teeth, which are softer.

What really freaks me out is seeing affluent people with visible plaque on their teeth. For gods sake. And this mom who wears Gucci and has flawless teeth and her daughter has very dirty-looking teeth. They are wealthy. Can’t they get her teeth cleaned at least twice a year?

by Anonymousreply 17May 10, 2018 2:27 AM

they want to pass the NAPKIN TEST

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18May 10, 2018 2:54 AM

[quote] I had to get all of my teeth veneered or bleached so the rest of my mouth would "match" the one tooth. Which is bullshit because dentists actually have a process in which they can color match fillings and/or crowns.

This is very imperfect, which is exactly WHY if you need crowns and such, you need to get them all done at once. And crowns and fillings never change but teeth will color within a few years, so at best, your teeth look uneven after a few years after getting a crown.

by Anonymousreply 19May 10, 2018 3:07 AM

R18 I want to slap those bitches in those commercials! Their teeth are already white and they whine about how yellow they are. They aren’t!

by Anonymousreply 20May 10, 2018 3:11 AM

It's really true that in America, if you have jacked teeth even to a minor degree, it gives you away. The over bright white teeth is so stupid and awful though, especially on Hollywood people that are supposed to be "serious" actors. BUT I have to say that when I get my teeth whitened--I've done it twice-- I loved it. The first time I really needed it, because I had been a smoker for years.

by Anonymousreply 21May 10, 2018 5:33 AM

Because it looks better than yellow teeth.

by Anonymousreply 22May 10, 2018 5:42 AM

Some info:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 10, 2018 5:52 AM

This is why Americans bleach their teeth so much. It’s all the shit eating.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24May 10, 2018 6:12 AM

What about anal bleaching? Has that caught on in Europe or no?

by Anonymousreply 25May 10, 2018 7:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!