Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

BBC's Nothing like a Dame - Eileen Atkins, Judi Dench, Joan Plowright and Maggie Smith talk their craft and careers

I don't know that I would go to the cinema to watch it, but I will watch it when it's on telly.

"Sometimes the best ideas are the simplest. The wheeze of bringing together four of Britain’s distinguished theatrical dames – Eileen Atkins, Judi Dench, Joan Plowright and Maggie Smith – and letting them reminisce has yielded an extraordinary film which opens in cinemas next week before being shown on BBC TV under the Arena banner.

Called, inevitably, Nothing Like a Dame, and directed by Roger Michell, it is both hilarious and, in its mix of present-day recollection and past footage, extremely touching. It also reminds me of the truth of David Hare’s observation that acting is ultimately “a judgment of character”."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68December 9, 2018 6:54 AM

Tracey Ullman just came.

by Anonymousreply 1April 27, 2018 10:03 PM

Judi should have won the Oscar for Mrs Brown in 1998.

Why didn't they try to get Dame Angela? Joan Plowright's career, though far from disappointing, doesn't have that much excitement in it

by Anonymousreply 2April 27, 2018 10:12 PM

This is something like exploitation.

These people have practicing their craft for more than 50years and have been more than a little ignored.

Now they are shoved onto vulgar talk-shows and expected to be funny now that they're physically unable to memorise lines or do a four hour performance on stage.

by Anonymousreply 3April 27, 2018 10:18 PM

I just asked Netflix to the get the rights to this. I mean, fuck all will happen, but they do have a suggestion box over there at Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 4April 27, 2018 10:21 PM

Direct link to the trailer:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 27, 2018 10:54 PM

I saw it Monday night at a press screening and it's sublime.

by Anonymousreply 6April 27, 2018 11:18 PM

Smith has starred in English movies since the late 50s.

Dench made one movie in '65 and was then banished for 40 years until Filthy Weinstein wanted someone to lend dignity.

Plowright was a 60s sexpot whose latter career depended on her late husband.

Atkins has never had a star role on screen.

by Anonymousreply 7April 28, 2018 3:55 AM

^ A motley crew.

by Anonymousreply 8April 28, 2018 4:58 AM

Tell us about your career, dear R7.

by Anonymousreply 9April 28, 2018 5:00 AM

Eileen , Judi and Maggie are all 83. Eileen seems to have the most vitality. Joan Plowright is 88 and seems to show her age the most.

by Anonymousreply 10April 28, 2018 5:03 AM

I think Glenda and Diana show be filmed luncheoning drunkenly at Sardi's.

by Anonymousreply 11April 28, 2018 3:48 PM

Judi got the James Bond role because Glenda Jackson turned them down.

This should be Vanessa Redgrave and Glenda instead of Eileen and Joan Plowright.

by Anonymousreply 12April 28, 2018 3:58 PM

Is Joan Plowright blind? Something seems off about her in the trailer.

Can't wait for the full feature.

by Anonymousreply 13April 28, 2018 4:32 PM

I'd rather see Glenda Jackson and Diana Rigg bitching up a storm together.

by Anonymousreply 14April 28, 2018 4:43 PM

Yes, R13, Plowright is blind.

by Anonymousreply 15April 28, 2018 4:53 PM

With Diana Rigg I suspect it would turn into a Real Housewives special with filled glasses being thrown across the table *lol*.

I do hope Nothing Like A Dame becomes a series with other dames coming together. England has plenty of them.

by Anonymousreply 16April 28, 2018 5:44 PM

R7, Dame Eileen Atkins is an extraordinary treasure of the British stage.

by Anonymousreply 17April 28, 2018 6:14 PM

R2 They didn’t get Dame Angela Lansbury because the premise of this inexpensive little TV film is that the participants are friends of long standing.

Lansbury is an American.

They might have asked Dames Glenda, Vanessa or Diana but they may belong to a rival PR agency or they **may** actually hate each other.

R17 Yes. Atkins has had scant publicity for her working on TV and stage work over 50 years so it’s little sad that she’s sharing this publicity now that her wage-earning years are over.

R5 I note how the trailer uses twee, twinkly music and how they emphasis laughter instead of real conversation. And the title has been borrowed from a Rodgers and Hammerstein musical.

by Anonymousreply 18April 28, 2018 11:53 PM

Glenda and Vanessa aren't Dames tho' not for wont of having been asked. But their leftist politics would never allowed them to accept a title of that sort.

Vanessa by rights should have the Atkins slot, but hard to imagine her having ANYTHING to say to Dench or, especially, to Smith. They are polar opposites.

by Anonymousreply 19April 29, 2018 12:18 AM

Miss Atkins' Talking Heads monologue......Maggie's always gets the mention, but they're all pretty wonderful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 29, 2018 12:21 AM

I will always love Atkins for this scene in WIT.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 29, 2018 12:24 AM

R21 Was your appreciation for Atkins made more keen in this scene by the music or the poem?

I'm not a Brit so I have haven't some much of Atkins except in supporting roles on TV.

I watched half of this Youtube video (below) but it's easier reading Virginia on the page and imagining her voice from that wonderful 1937 recording (also on Youtube). I suppose we should be thankful that Atkins is been bringing Woolf to younger audiences.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 29, 2018 10:33 PM

I am a little bit surprised though that Maggie would still be friends with Eileen after she dissed Downton Abbey for being a mere Upstairs Downstairs ripoff.

It's well known that Eilleen Atkins, who owns Upstairs Downstairs, approached ITV to do the U/D remake but they went for something "cheaper" and got Julian Fellowes to do Downton Abbey. And the BBC agreed to do the Upstairs Downstairs reboot which didn't last long.

by Anonymousreply 23April 29, 2018 11:28 PM

R23 I'm not sure what you mean by "cheaper'; 'Downton' was the most expensive TV Britain had produced.

by Anonymousreply 24April 30, 2018 3:28 AM

I never associate a performance with a piece of music that scores it, R22, if that's what you mean.

The scene is seemingly simple: a professor who is highly demanding of her students merely wants them to be their best. Atkins plays the character as someone who has the authority that comes from the knowledge of the subject (she teaches) and her ability to asses her students - she may not be so generous with her criticism if she didn't believe Emma Thompson's character is capable of better. Atkins starts the scene with slight impatience and perhaps annoyance at her student (you get a sense she has given the paper some thought), but at the point where she sits down and starts explaining the poem her generosity as a teacher comes through. And as she gets up and starts mocking the wrong punctuation the scene becomes humorous. That part ends on Emma Thompson in the present time of the film (hospital) and from her reaction we understand how much this passing of knowledge means to her. It's where the score begins. Atkin's performance softens from that point on and it ends on a personal, almost intimate, note when she tells Emma to go out and enjoy life.

This is a great text, and the dramatic beats are beautifully written, but even a great text needs actors and a director who can do it justice.

by Anonymousreply 25April 30, 2018 4:41 AM

^^ Atkins' performance

by Anonymousreply 26April 30, 2018 4:42 AM

R20 Yes, Maggie's 'Talking Heads' always gets the mention.

But that Dame Thora Hird gives me the chills like the late Jimmy Savile did.

by Anonymousreply 27May 1, 2018 6:45 AM

R19, one of the stories Dame Judi tells in the film is of her and Vanessa Redgrave on an anti-Vietnam War demo together, so they have been friendly enough.

by Anonymousreply 28May 1, 2018 8:14 AM

R28 Have you already seen this little 84 minute video?

Was it all filmed in one session on one day? Is there any intercutting and historic footage included?

by Anonymousreply 29May 1, 2018 8:33 AM

Looks good!

So many Dames they could line up for a sequil.

Angela Lansbury, Julie Walters, Penelope Wilton, Patricia Routledge and of course DL fave Dame Olivia de Haviland.

by Anonymousreply 30May 1, 2018 8:36 AM

Sorry, no, R29 - the Redgrave reference was mentioned in one of the UK reviews.

by Anonymousreply 31May 1, 2018 8:37 AM

Angelina, Megan...so many wonderful dames to choose from

by Anonymousreply 32May 1, 2018 8:40 AM

Dames Barbara Windsor and Joan Collins would add an end of the pier touch.

by Anonymousreply 33May 1, 2018 9:10 AM

When did Joan Plowright become Barbara Bush?

by Anonymousreply 34May 1, 2018 9:21 AM

Spoiler alert: They’re all Tracey Ullman

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35May 1, 2018 9:26 AM

R33 I like it!

Throw in Peneople Keith and June Whitfield, and it would be a right hoot!

by Anonymousreply 36May 1, 2018 9:59 AM

I've been watching Eileen Atkins on Doc Martin and I love her character. I didn't realise she was the same person from the orig Up/Down which was one of the best programs ever produced for television. The reboot was poor quality, sadly.

by Anonymousreply 37May 1, 2018 12:34 PM

R37 Totally agree with you

by Anonymousreply 38May 1, 2018 12:38 PM

[quote] I just asked Netflix to the get the rights to this.

PBS is likely first in line.

by Anonymousreply 39May 1, 2018 12:40 PM

Will it be on the BBC iPlayer?

by Anonymousreply 40May 1, 2018 12:49 PM

I've always had the feeling that Smith and Plowright aren't quite as friendly as some try to make out.

I don't know that you could get Smith, Redgrave, and Jackson into the same room with those egos.

by Anonymousreply 41May 1, 2018 1:10 PM

Julie Walters, Helen Mirren and Penelope Wilton would be fun.

They could act part of Calendar Girls out too

by Anonymousreply 42May 1, 2018 1:51 PM

You'd have to leave out Helen Mirren. She's a narcissistic bore.

by Anonymousreply 43May 1, 2018 4:07 PM

R43 What? Helen is many things but I wouldn't call her narcissistic.

by Anonymousreply 44May 1, 2018 6:22 PM

R43, R44 Mirren is now more American than British/Russian.

She's a millionairess with a rich husband. She did a scary, genuine-sounding interview a few years ago admitting to times of neurotic fear about poverty— as though that was the excuse she appears in so much money-making American junk nowdays.

by Anonymousreply 45May 1, 2018 9:32 PM
by Anonymousreply 46May 2, 2018 3:54 PM

They should do one called "To Sir With Love" about the knighted male actors.

by Anonymousreply 47May 2, 2018 4:03 PM

bumpity

by Anonymousreply 48May 3, 2018 1:42 AM

If they wanted to do a male version of this show, you'd have McKellan, Jacobi, and who else?

by Anonymousreply 49May 3, 2018 2:53 PM

Maybe Ian Holm? Ben Kingsley? Michael Caine?

by Anonymousreply 50May 3, 2018 3:40 PM

Sir Anthony Sher and Sir Simon Russell Beale for an all-gay version, with McKellan and Jacobi.

by Anonymousreply 51May 3, 2018 6:52 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52May 4, 2018 3:54 AM

New clip

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53May 4, 2018 4:39 PM

I'm going to watch it tonight. Will report later.

by Anonymousreply 54June 3, 2018 2:46 AM

Plowright is so not in the same league as the others. If it wasn't for her dead husband, nobody would even know who she is.

by Anonymousreply 55June 3, 2018 3:30 AM

I like Plowright the most.

This thing was a big bore and sad. A group of doddering old bags. I'm amazed it was so well reviewed.

by Anonymousreply 56June 3, 2018 3:33 AM

The piece is a mess. I got a feeling that all four of them were slightly bored with the whole event towards the end. It doesn't seem that there was any concept beyond having these ladies sit at the table (or in a room) and recording their spontaneous conversations. There was an obvious need for a good interviewer who could lead the conversation; these women have a lot to say.

The best part was when they were describing some big demonstration they participated in and Vanessa Redgrave being arrested, and then Vanessa realizing that she had a matinee scheduled.

Also, Dench getting emotional at the very end when she said that she would tell her younger self to be less susceptible to falling in love.

Plowright was sweet when she said it was never too late to fall in love.

The use of archival footage was clumsy, the music choices were banal. What a wasted opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 57June 3, 2018 8:17 PM

[quote]A group of doddering old bags.

Those "doddering old bags" still have enough stamina and focus to do theater and film. I wonder sometimes why do people choose to be so unkind... it must be the anonymous thing.

by Anonymousreply 58June 3, 2018 8:21 PM

[quote]There was an obvious need for a good interviewer who could lead the conversation; these women have a lot to say.

He threw a few questions at them when it became TOO banal.

by Anonymousreply 59June 3, 2018 8:57 PM

No more banal than any loose conversation, R59. I just don't think this format works, you know, let's record people shooting shit.

by Anonymousreply 60June 3, 2018 9:00 PM

[quote] I wonder sometimes why do people choose to be so unkind... it must be the anonymous thing.

Oh, Miss Fey - what else have you got to contribute to this conversation? But PLEASE be KIND!

by Anonymousreply 61June 3, 2018 9:03 PM

Calling people names does not contribute to a conversation, whether you think it's unkind or not. Or you missed what I meant, R61?

I suppose you'd like to get into some anonymous 'unkind' back and forth with me now. Would that make your Sunday better?

by Anonymousreply 62June 3, 2018 9:13 PM

Shut up, Miss Fey!

by Anonymousreply 63June 3, 2018 9:16 PM

Maggie's wistfulness deserves a second Tony or third Oscar -- she's a walking Chekhovian heroine - all that ache, coupled with that bracing wit

by Anonymousreply 64June 4, 2018 12:25 AM

Redgrave does have a cameo in a few photos shown of her leading an anti-Vietnam War protest in the 60s. Atkins tells a funny story about attending the protest with her then husband, Julian Glover, and how she decided to leave early because she wanted some crumpets and jam. Redgrave and Glover ended up being jailed overnight, while Atkins was at home enjoying the crumpets.

by Anonymousreply 65December 9, 2018 5:49 AM

It’s a really good show and available online. They did get tired toward the end.

by Anonymousreply 66December 9, 2018 6:00 AM

R23 Smith herself says that she hasn't even seen Downton Abbey, and laughs about having been given the box set of DVDs but feeling she's running out of time to watch them all.

by Anonymousreply 67December 9, 2018 6:07 AM

What about Dame Joan Collins?

by Anonymousreply 68December 9, 2018 6:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!