Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gay men are queer

Does anyone else feel like queer is more appropriate? The vast majority (98%) of gay men are feminine.

by Anonymousreply 47April 9, 2021 5:04 AM

HELL NO

by Anonymousreply 1April 21, 2018 4:17 PM

Die, queercunt.

by Anonymousreply 2April 21, 2018 4:19 PM

There is no such thing as masculine gay men. You can always tell.

by Anonymousreply 3April 21, 2018 4:19 PM

Queer is just an umbrella term for "everything not straight". What has femininity got to do with it?

by Anonymousreply 4April 21, 2018 4:20 PM

You’re on a gossip site, OP. Who are you posting to? Masculine men? No.

by Anonymousreply 5April 21, 2018 4:21 PM

I’m fem, gossip interests me.

by Anonymousreply 6April 21, 2018 4:21 PM

I'm a quare fellow.

by Anonymousreply 7April 21, 2018 4:22 PM

The 98% figure was proven in the worldwide Study of the Gays done in 2003 by the Royal Academy of Heronsford. I believe that they also announced the discovery that 90% of gay men are bottoms figure at that time as well. It received a standing ovulation in the Hall of the Moors in Rochester.

by Anonymousreply 8April 21, 2018 4:23 PM

Mary OP got a new shit-stirring ladle and is giving its first tryout today.

by Anonymousreply 9April 21, 2018 4:24 PM

At least Mary OP started her own thread instead of being a Bump Bitch.

by Anonymousreply 10April 21, 2018 4:25 PM

"We're HERE, we're MASC BROS!!"

by Anonymousreply 11April 21, 2018 4:28 PM

r10, because what DL needs more of is new, shit-stirring threads from trolls. *eyeroll*

by Anonymousreply 12April 21, 2018 4:29 PM

You prefer old shit stirring threads that have one new post that you have to scroll past 569 posts to get to, r12? Okay. Suit yourself.

by Anonymousreply 13April 21, 2018 4:31 PM

Queer regarding sexual orientation is closer to bisexual or pansexual. Neither straight nor gay. Not feminine.

by Anonymousreply 14April 21, 2018 4:31 PM

You think Chechnya will happen in the US? I do. You have to save for retirement but also save for your escape. I wonder who’ll support Chechnya? Gays may help build it.

by Anonymousreply 15April 21, 2018 4:34 PM

"The vast majority (98%) of gay men are feminine." 😂 maybe in the places that you frequent.

by Anonymousreply 16April 21, 2018 4:37 PM

I'm always amazed at gay men who are shocked when people have easily figured out they were gay. They ask "How did you know?"

Mary, PUHLEAZE !!!!

99% of the time a person doesn't need Gaydar to figure out if people are gay. If a gay person is just being themselves, it is quickly obvious to the general public.

And you Masc guys who think you're fooling everyone - you're NOT!

by Anonymousreply 17April 21, 2018 4:37 PM

While it's true that the vast majority are effeminate, wouldn't that imply that it should just be called "effeminacy"?

by Anonymousreply 18April 21, 2018 4:39 PM

The only people I see calling themselves queer these days are blue haired straight kinksters in bad 90s fashun. Best to move far away from that word and the weirdos who use it.

by Anonymousreply 19April 21, 2018 4:47 PM

No, OP.

Nothing you said is true.

Just stop.

by Anonymousreply 20April 21, 2018 4:52 PM

queer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 21, 2018 6:23 PM

This is alarming.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 24, 2018 11:20 AM

LOL R8. I read in another study that 99.9% of gay men are bottoms. That 0.1% of tops must be exhausted.

by Anonymousreply 23April 24, 2018 11:28 AM

I remember that, R22. It seems to be a reflection of the hard right turn our country (heck, the whole world) is taking lately.

by Anonymousreply 24April 24, 2018 11:31 AM

The Divide & Conquer trolls hard at work.

by Anonymousreply 25April 24, 2018 11:37 AM

today must be this one's first day on the job

step it up, Boris!

by Anonymousreply 26April 24, 2018 11:41 AM

One navel-gazing asshole insists we are queer. The other deluded fetishist insists we are masc. Then there are the retarded stans of all things fluid.

by Anonymousreply 27April 24, 2018 11:43 AM

r4, I don't think so. I came a cross a tumblr posting a few weeks ago that said the overwhelming majority of gay men are not considered queer and that "queerphobia" is extremely rampant in the gay community. I'm not sure what it means but I think it refers to straight people mostly.

by Anonymousreply 28April 24, 2018 11:50 AM

OP is kickable. Down the stairs. Into the subway. Or the Gowanus.

Kick.

Kick.

Kick OP.

by Anonymousreply 29April 24, 2018 12:06 PM

R23

It's hard work but someone has to do it.

by Anonymousreply 30April 24, 2018 12:12 PM

Why is this thread grayed out? It's true.

by Anonymousreply 31April 24, 2018 12:29 PM

OP, the term "queer" is appropriately used only between homosexuals who use it as a form of familiarity, much like many blacks will call each other "nigga". I know most young gays don't like the term, but most of us eldergays took ownership of the term long ago because we knew by making it ours it would be more difficult for the homophobes to use it against us. Homophobes had to move on to "faggot", which once again many of us took ownership of. So the poor phobes just grab at straws these days trying to figure out what epithet to use that will make us feel the lowest, most of which have little to no affect anymore at all, because we know that no matter what some people claim, there are some people we are better than.

But if you think the term "queer" automatically means "effeminate", you couldn't be more wrong. I've known plenty of queers in my time who would make John Wayne look like a sissy.

by Anonymousreply 32April 24, 2018 12:44 PM

If you think 98% of gay men are feminine, then you need to get out of the house more often and meet more people, esp. more men.

OP must be a fundie frau.

by Anonymousreply 33April 24, 2018 12:46 PM

R32, what I have observed on DL is that it's the younger gays who want to refer to themselves (and us, unfortunately) as "queer." They are "reclaiming" the word, they say. I hate it. I'm just gay. Not even "G." Just gay.

by Anonymousreply 34April 24, 2018 12:51 PM

Are ya trying this shit [bold]AGAIN[/bold] OP?

Again? Every single time you have tried this offensive queer garbage in the past (numerous threads now) we have told you exactly why we hate the word. You refuse to respect what we say.

You're just a nasty troll. Fuck right off.

by Anonymousreply 35April 24, 2018 3:11 PM

R32, there are a lot of gaylings out there who do not yet have the wisdom that you have, as an eldergay. Although these derogatory words may no longer hurt you, they are never appropriate. And unfortunately there are still many gays, of all ages who feel "less than"

by Anonymousreply 36April 25, 2018 1:11 AM

by Anonymousreply 37May 7, 2018 3:25 AM

Why are queer, nonbinary, genderquueer-identified people so entitled? It's literally narcissistic.

The most annoying act of entitlement is when they think they know our sexual orientation more than we do ourselves and want to force us to date anybody who identifies as a man.

by Anonymousreply 38September 19, 2018 7:41 PM

OP = Queen of the Tire Iron

by Anonymousreply 39September 19, 2018 7:49 PM

OP is a troll who should be banned.

by Anonymousreply 40September 19, 2018 8:04 PM

r29 oh I say, I like the cut of your jib!

by Anonymousreply 41September 19, 2018 8:06 PM

r38. they were delayed in their toilet training too long . They’re obsessed with their own shit. Shitstarting, shitposting. But they’re cowards. They waste time and money hiding behind modern phrenology like “queer theory” that’s nothing more than “but MOMMY says I’m special”.

It’s bullshit. You want to be special? Earn it. Go do something worthwhile. Get an actual degree that results in a job that (here’s the tricky party) makes you completely self supporting. You know, the shit your parents were able to do when they were 18. Those basic life skills the best of humanity has mastered.

As you accomplish that miracle, figure out how to clean up after yourself, quit ratcheting up debt and blaming everyone else for your bad decisions. Your constant inflecting “but you ELDER GAYS have run up the national debt!” Honeychild, worry about your own damn shit. Both the ex and I had all of our student debt paid off before we bought our first house at 28. HOUSE. Not a condo or townhouse. A single family home, probaby like the one your grew up in. We put a lot of work into it and flipped it five years later when we built (yes, BUILT) our second home.

We’ve always been frugal and we’ve each saved a good deal of money towards retirement. We’ve supported family members along the way. We’ve traveled around the world, so it’s not like we just sit at home and eat ramen noodles either.

It wasn’t easy, so none of this whining about how hard you’ve had it. I went in the military after the double oil shock recession and Carter’s toxoic stagflation (double digit interest rates, double digit unemployment). In 1982, Reagan’s Recession was kicking in and I stayed in another 4 years in the military.

That was 1986. You were readily turned down for jobs,, kicked out of your partments - and fired for the suspicion of being gay. I know. I was fired from my second job as a civilian because of it. My salar as a fulltime software developer? Less than $30K per year in 2018 dollars. Health care? Nope. We had these “cafeteria plans” which meant you basically were paying for it out of your paycheck.

Back then, gay bars were firebombed. Unless you knew what the hell you were doing, you were careful about hooking up with someone as you didn’t know whether you were going to get lucky or get bashed. There was a period where you made damn sure you introduced whoever you hooked up with a friend at the bar before you left - so someone could ID the guy just in case.

The cruise parks were the live action role play version of today’s apps. Oh there were hostiles in there too. Bashers. Guys who’d rob you if you were lucky. Rob you, beat and leave you for dead if you weren’t. This was all pre-internet, pre-AOL so the other method of hookups were ads at left on bulletin boards at bookstores or underground newspapers. Later, the underground BBSes allowed for easier hookups for people who owned a C64, Atari, Apple or PC. Not those Sinclair guys. They were just weird.

I was in Rehoboth Beach Delaware with the guy I was dating for my 21st birthday. That weekend, the gay papers were abuzz with talk of some “gay cancer” in New York and San Francisco. It caught my attention, but we still fucked our brains out all weekend. We stayed at the Renegade, door wide open and a good time was had by all.

I rotated back to Germany a few months later, and by the time I returned a few years later - a number of the guys I knew were already dead. I was 24 and at least 10 of my friends were gone. There was no test and no point since there wasn’t a treatment. Sure, I started using condoms and like a lot of guys - I paniced over sex entirely and kind of dropped out.

I was still in the military when my roommate and best friend got a letter from the Red Cross on a Saturday morning. We knew it was bad news, but we both put on a brave face. I went over to the mall and called the AIDS Crisis Hot Line and broke down crying talking to a counselor. My friend got the news that week that he tested positive. (continued)

by Anonymousreply 42September 19, 2018 8:38 PM

(continued) from r42 It was six months until I heard from my friend. He was held in an isolation ward in Texas at a military hospital. He was “lucky” because he was one of a number who had been infected through tained blood supplies. He’d had an emergency appendectomy in Germany, and the transfusion he received turned out was untested. He received an honorable dischange - most men received a general, which denied them VA benefits at the time. Sick, uninsured, and abandoned.

My friend had great skills, was still healthy so he got a job at my company. I moved on a few years later. He and his partner lived close to us. Out of the blue, they broke up. Jim’s health declined rapidly. This was before the cocktails, with only AZT. Once you developed immunity - you went quickly. He did. Within six months, he died.. He was 33 years old.

He wasn’t queer. He wasn’t questioning. He never needed an idiotic class in fluidity and gender . He was a damn good man who served his country with honor and distinction. Nobody gets to marginalize him or the memory of those who have died because you decided you rewrite history and erase us.

There are thousands of Quilt panels for those who’ve died of AIDS. You don’t get to erase them, either. So cut your crap. If you can’t be respectful - don’t expect any respect. Expect that we’ll call out your self-indulgent crap every sentence.

by Anonymousreply 43September 19, 2018 8:50 PM

OP you are wrong most gay men that i know are masculine.

by Anonymousreply 44September 19, 2018 9:02 PM

Queers seem to hate masculinity but I as a gay guy find it sexy, I'm naturally attracted to it. This is one of the reasons I reject the label "queer". Not only does "queer" attempts to absorb and invisibilise homosexuality but also hates things my sexual orientation loves such as masculine attributes of men.

by Anonymousreply 45September 21, 2018 6:23 PM

First and foremost is the idea that “queer” is a thing outside of academia. Queer is a set of political and academic theoretical ideas. And their shitty ideas that no one ever actually lived by.

Do you want to know whether you are queer or not? It’s pretty easy to tell. It’s the easiest thing in the world. Answer this question: Do you believe couples of the same sex should be able to marry each other? If you answered “yes,” then you are not queer.

The queer theorists were against marriage equality. Point stop. It was part of their, almost entirely ineffectual, arguments about how gay people should not live according to the norms of straight people. Which failed to take into account that gay people are people and therefore have their own desires about how they want to live their lives, and conforming those lives to an academic theory was definitely not one of them.

In particular because one of the biggest points the queer theorists made was that if marriage equality happened, then gay people would feel pressured to marry their spouses. Yes, their argument actually was that gay people should accept legal inequality because the queer theorists were frightened of peer pressure.

But why did “queer” suddenly become popular nomenclature two to four years ago? Well it isn’t because of queer theory, it is because of the self-loathing cycle.

“Queer” is meaningless, it conveys no information that would provide any sort of context for a person’s identity. Remember “queer” is a political statement, not an identity (and the queer theorists themselves even fretted about how blandly straight people would co-opt the term “queer” for its political statement). If someone tells you they are “queer” they are not actually telling you anything at all.

LGBT people are taught from birth that being LGBT is bad. Self-loathing is ingrained into us enough that gay men have been shown to have rates of PTSD on the level of soldiers in active warzones. Societal discrimination becomes internalized. And that self-loathing leads people to reject their own identity.

Nico Tortorella is an actor who has been fairly open about his bisexuality. However for quite awhile instead of “bisexual” he went by “sexually fluid.” If you want to know exactly why he chose an ambiguous nomenclature over a well known one, well you have to listen to the first episode of his podcast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46September 22, 2018 1:06 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 47April 9, 2021 5:04 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!