Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Investor: Art dealer Larry Gagosian and sculptor Jeff Koons running Ponzi scheme

Famed sculptor Jeff Koons and the superdealer Larry Gagosian are pulling a Ponzi scheme on the world’s richest art collectors, according to a scathing new lawsuit by multimillionaire investor Steven Tananbaum.

Tananbaum, head of the $24 billion GlobalTree Asset Management hedge fund, has paid Koons $13.05 million since 2013 for three sculptures — yet hasn’t received the pieces or even proof that their fabrication is underway.

Tananbaum accuses Koons and his Manhattan dealer Gagosian of using “new money” to “pay old obligations.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41April 21, 2018 2:07 AM

The duo bleed “collectors of deposits and payments [by] drawing on their funding without supplying a product in exchange,” according to the Manhattan Supreme Court suit.

It’s a “fraudulent financial routine that harkens the name Ponzi,” the suit says.

While collectors wait “interminably for delivery, Larry Gagosian and Jeff Koons live extravagant lifestyles financed in part by inappropriate and highly questionable practices,” the suit says.

Koons and Gagosian both own sprawling town homes on Manhattan’s Upper East Side. The pair’s clients range from billionaire Steve Cohen to late publishing magnate S.I. Newhouse. The artist’s “Balloon Dog” sold for a record $58 million at Christie’s in 2013. Gagosian’s 16 galleries bring in a reported $1 billion in yearly sales.

Tananbaum first signed a purchase agreement for an 8.5-foot-by-5.4-foot magenta, polished steel sculpture called “Balloon Venus” in September 2013.

The hedge funder was told the $8 million work would be completed in December 2015.

He’s paid a $6.4 million deposit and is still waiting for delivery, the suit says.

Tananbaum’s also been waiting since 2016 for two other pieces — titled “Eros” and “Diana”– worth a combined $14.5 million. He’s put down $6.65 million toward the total price, according to court papers.

Koons claims the delays are due to “complex technological issues” but he’s also refused to provide photos, videos or other evidence that the artwork is in progress, the suit stays.

Reps for Koons and Gagosian did not immediately return requests for comment.

by Anonymousreply 1April 20, 2018 4:24 PM

Somebody call La Cicciolina quick!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 20, 2018 4:26 PM

Koons entire oeuvre is a con game. The future is shaking its head.

by Anonymousreply 3April 20, 2018 4:27 PM

but Larry Gagosian is hot

by Anonymousreply 4April 20, 2018 4:29 PM

I can’t stand Koons’ “art”

by Anonymousreply 5April 20, 2018 4:31 PM

Koons has been running a scam since day one. Only Hirst is a bigger thief than Coons is. The art collectors(of which Gagosians) are insane collectors whose knowledge of art is very limited. Especially when what Koons does is called art. Kitsch yes, art no!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 20, 2018 4:31 PM

Larry Gagodjeshean

by Anonymousreply 7April 20, 2018 4:32 PM

LOL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 20, 2018 4:33 PM

[QUOTE}whose knowledge of art is very limited

It's not even that, it's just a front for money laundering and tax dodging.

by Anonymousreply 9April 20, 2018 4:33 PM

Have you ever talked to these people? They actually can't tell the difference between Brillo and Warhol's Brillo! I wish I was joking.....

by Anonymousreply 10April 20, 2018 4:39 PM

Jeff Koons: dong, not dog

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 20, 2018 4:40 PM

Re: LOL It is so bad that Marvel/Disney wouldn't publish that. I'm not talking about a cover, I'm talking about anywhere inside a comic to boot!

by Anonymousreply 12April 20, 2018 4:41 PM

So why doesn't Koons just slap some art together? Make another balloon animal and ship it off to the buyer. Done.

by Anonymousreply 13April 20, 2018 4:43 PM

R10 That was my point. Their knowledge isn't limited, it's non-existent. They only see the art as an easy way to move money around, so they don't care what they're buying.

by Anonymousreply 14April 20, 2018 4:44 PM

I don't think he even makes his own art anymore. Likely it is made by unpaid interns.

Who buys this shit?

by Anonymousreply 15April 20, 2018 4:47 PM

Reminds me of Edina shopping for art. They deserve to be swindled for outrageous money for junk.

by Anonymousreply 16April 20, 2018 4:48 PM

R15 art is one of the biggest tools for money laundering

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 20, 2018 4:50 PM

I can see how an artist could come to this, in today's world. As he gets more successful and the prices for original works rise, he realizes that none of the people who can afford his work know dick about art! He despises them and their pretensions and money laundering, and gradually he decides that there's nothing wrong with mocking, scamming, and bilking them.

And he never realizes that he's become just as bad as they are...

by Anonymousreply 18April 20, 2018 4:55 PM

R15–I know one of his former interns. It’s a factory. He doesn’t touch anything.

by Anonymousreply 19April 20, 2018 4:56 PM

Hilarious..the swindlers get swindled.

ALL modern art is a racket, and it always has been. The Usual Suspects found an "in" and have expertly exploited it for a hundred years. I could enjoy the table-turning antics of these two if they weren't part of the movement that has all but replaced representational (i.e., requires actual talent to produce) art.

Fuck the entire NY art "scene". It's the spawn of mental defectives. Produces nothing but mind-numbing, soul-crushing ugliness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 20, 2018 5:01 PM

I hate representational art.

by Anonymousreply 21April 20, 2018 5:08 PM

But why can't he just make the art? Am I missing something from the "scam" here? He can just make a design and have his interns/employees pump out the art to meet the order.

And using money you've been paid for an order is not a Ponzi scheme, is it? This sounds more like a case of an artist/dealer overselling and not having the capacity to deliver the product in a timely manner. But even then, he can't have that many $10 million orders that he backed up for years, can he? Unless he and the dealer are just trying to manage the number of his pieces being delivered to control the supply (so there isn't a huge amount of his work being churned out constantly).

by Anonymousreply 22April 20, 2018 5:31 PM

How much would you pay to suck his cock?

How much would you pay to suck his cock on camera?

How much would you pay to suck his cock on camera at the Museum of Modern Art?

by Anonymousreply 23April 20, 2018 5:33 PM

[quote]The hedge funder was told the $8 million work would be completed in December 2015.

[quote]Tananbaum’s also been waiting since 2016 for two other pieces

So once the first piece was not delivered on time, he ordered another two.

by Anonymousreply 24April 20, 2018 5:37 PM

Rich people love to get ripped off. I just wish I knew some. I'd be an artist too!!

by Anonymousreply 25April 20, 2018 5:40 PM

Even if you don't admire Warhol's art, he was a hard worker. Yes, he had helpers- but was working in his studio on Sundays. No delays from Andy.

by Anonymousreply 26April 20, 2018 5:40 PM

Remember when Sam Fowler was going through this? Not the Ponzi/Madoff part. The art factory part.

by Anonymousreply 27April 20, 2018 5:42 PM

"And using money you've been paid for an order is not a Ponzi scheme, is it?"

No, if Koons took the money and never delivered anything it's just fraud.

Perhaps the dealer has some financial jiggery-pokery going on that might be called "Ponzi", but it sounds like the plaintiff is using the word to get press, not to describe what's actually going on. Being conned by their money managers has got to be one of the greatest fears of the idle art-buying rich, so comparing Koons and Gagosian to Madoff has got to be calculated to hurt them financially before the lawsuit goes anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 28April 20, 2018 6:04 PM

R26 Silk screening Monroe was such an arduous task...please. Warhol made art literally into a factory process. His films were far more edgier than his art was. Remember Blowjob?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29April 20, 2018 7:11 PM

The Danish TV series "The Legacy" (first 10 episodes are on Amazon) nicely captures how corrupt the contemporary art world is.

by Anonymousreply 30April 20, 2018 7:18 PM

Koons has a GREAT dick and really nice body.

And he got it all out and had hardcore sex in the early '90s, before everyone started sharing their junk with the world.

I forgive him everything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31April 20, 2018 7:27 PM

I'd suck it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32April 20, 2018 7:31 PM

Anybody who would voluntarily pay money to that huckster Jeff Koons deserves exactly what they get.

by Anonymousreply 33April 20, 2018 7:39 PM

Jeff Koons is a hack. Anyone who likes his art is an idiot

by Anonymousreply 34April 20, 2018 7:41 PM

R31, who is that disgusting woman with all those pimples on her ass?

by Anonymousreply 35April 20, 2018 7:42 PM

true R20!

by Anonymousreply 36April 20, 2018 7:58 PM

We don't care, we love sunbathing atop our flower puppy!

by Anonymousreply 37April 20, 2018 8:22 PM

R29, I've forgotten more about art than you'll ever know.

by Anonymousreply 38April 21, 2018 1:37 AM

The New York art scene is a joke. The people are worse than the fashion crowd.

by Anonymousreply 39April 21, 2018 1:46 AM

Koons' "art" is huge in Miami. That should tell you all you need to know about how talented he is.

by Anonymousreply 40April 21, 2018 1:49 AM

[quote] I don't think he even makes his own art anymore. Likely it is made by unpaid interns.

Has he ever physically made his own art? I remember talking about him with my art teacher back in 1990 and she said Koons outsources the physical work to professional craftsmen. I remember Koons talking about it in a documentary as well. I vaguely remember him saying he uses a Chinese guy for his porcelain work, and he praised his skills. Damien Hirst outsources work as well. If I remember correctly he's practically running his own factory where the workers create the art for him, which is why some pieces are so huge now. These guys create ideas, and other people do the physical work either partly or completely. BTW, there's nothing new about it. Many classic paintings or sculptures were created by a team led by the artist.

by Anonymousreply 41April 21, 2018 2:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!