Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Animated films

What are some good animated films? Doesn't have to be recent either. I watched The Lion King with my nephews the other day, and now I'm in the mood for some cartoons. What do you recommend?

by Anonymousreply 101March 17, 2019 6:39 PM

Coraline, and basically every movie Laika was made, but specially Coraline. Lovely, dark, my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 1April 13, 2018 2:55 AM

The Last Unicorn. The title character is voiced by DL fave, Mia Farrow.

by Anonymousreply 2April 13, 2018 2:59 AM

Fantasia

by Anonymousreply 3April 13, 2018 3:03 AM

Your Name.

Massive hit in its native Japan and around the world. JJ Abrams is doing a U.S. remake but I'm sure it'll be shit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 13, 2018 3:05 AM

Moana was great

by Anonymousreply 5April 13, 2018 3:05 AM

Spirited Away

by Anonymousreply 6April 13, 2018 3:05 AM

Storks.

It is far superior to the other recent "where babies come from" movie, Boss Baby starring the bloated Alec Baldwin.

by Anonymousreply 7April 13, 2018 3:07 AM

Zootopia made me feel ridiculously happy.

by Anonymousreply 8April 13, 2018 3:09 AM

The Iron Giant.

by Anonymousreply 9April 13, 2018 3:10 AM

Coco

by Anonymousreply 10April 13, 2018 3:20 AM

For the stylized art, Sleeping Beauty, for music I would recommend The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and just for fun, Dumbo.

by Anonymousreply 11April 13, 2018 3:21 AM

Princess Mononoke is gorgeous and fun.

If you are in the mood for something sad, Graves of the Fireflies.

by Anonymousreply 12April 13, 2018 3:31 AM

1980s Don Bluth > Disney Don Bluth > 1990s Don Bluth

by Anonymousreply 13April 13, 2018 3:35 AM

Monsters, Inc

Toy Story 1-3

Shrek 1+2

Aladdin

Beauty and the Beast

by Anonymousreply 14April 13, 2018 8:07 AM

Wreck-It Ralph

Flushed Away

Chicken Little

The Lego Movie

Wall-E

Frozen

by Anonymousreply 15April 13, 2018 8:12 AM

From 1987 the man who planted trees

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 13, 2018 8:15 AM

The Emperor's New Groove

Mulan

The Little Mermaid

by Anonymousreply 17April 13, 2018 8:15 AM

Pixar films that suck shit and/or are boring as fuck, avoid at all costs:

Inside Out

The Good Dinosaur

Brave

The Incredibles

by Anonymousreply 18April 13, 2018 8:22 AM

R16, great one. For brilliant old-fashioned animation: "Pinocchio. "

by Anonymousreply 19April 13, 2018 8:38 AM

Charlotte's Web

by Anonymousreply 20April 13, 2018 8:41 AM

Howl’s Moving Castle

The House of Small Cubes (Netflix)

Fantastic Planet

by Anonymousreply 21April 13, 2018 8:47 AM

Loving Vincent, a recent film, done as an animated Van Gogh painting. Gorgeous to watch, with a plot about an investigation into the actual cause of his death.

by Anonymousreply 22April 13, 2018 9:31 AM

A computer animated movie that I feel is underrated is Surf's Up. Monster House was also pretty good. Wall-E and UP! are pretty spectacular.

For super heroes there's Batman: Assault on Arkham, Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker (although it makes more sense if you watched the TV series), Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, Batman: Under the Red Mask, Batman and Superman Movie: World's Finest, Justice League: Flashpoint Paradox, Planet Hulk, and Megamind,

On the hand-drawn side I would recommend Winnie The Pooh (2011) it was made as a swan song for Winnie (and hand-drawn in general) movies. I would also like to toss in Who Framed Roger Rabbit? Akira plays more like a horror movie if you are looking for something more intense. Persepolis is great if your looking for a more character-driven movie. A Goofy Movie if you want feel good family fun. If you want a sense of adventure The Brave Little Toaster and Treasure Planet, If you want more of an epic there's The Prince of Egypt (if you don't mind religious stories), If you want just great storytelling then look up The Great Mouse Detective, An American Tail, and All Dogs Go To Heaven. For cult classic territory there is The Sword in the Stone, Antz, and The Triplets of Belleville. If you want more music focused films there's Fantasia 2000 and Yellow Submarine are in your spirits. And finally if you want princesses I recommend Anastasia and Thumbelina.

Hope you enjoy!

by Anonymousreply 23April 13, 2018 9:43 AM

Wallace and Gromit: all of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24April 13, 2018 10:08 AM

Where can I watch these movies? It doesn't seem like they're streaming anywhere, especially the Disney Movies.

by Anonymousreply 25April 13, 2018 10:15 AM

R18 I would like to add "Finding Nemo" to your list.

by Anonymousreply 26April 13, 2018 10:33 AM

The best short animated film: The Band Concert. Disney at his most absurd brilliant and dazzling.

The Dance of the Hours from Fantasia is pretty spectacular as well.

by Anonymousreply 27April 13, 2018 11:00 AM

My 2 favorites :

Big Hero 6

Shawn the Sheep

by Anonymousreply 28April 13, 2018 11:35 AM

Forget anything Disney and Pixar from the Little Mermaid period on.

A travesty after classic Disney.

by Anonymousreply 29April 13, 2018 12:23 PM

Another vote for Wall-E.

by Anonymousreply 30April 13, 2018 1:00 PM

I second The Triplets of Belleville. I'm not a huge animation fan, but Triplets makes me smile every time I watch it.

by Anonymousreply 31April 13, 2018 1:01 PM

Moana was beautiful and feel good with great music. On netflix

by Anonymousreply 32April 13, 2018 1:03 PM

"The Three Caballeros" (1945) Disney's surreal animated mashup of "Hellzapoppin'" and "The Gangs All Here". Their most audacious use of Technicolor.

by Anonymousreply 33April 13, 2018 1:15 PM

I love Lewis Carroll's Alice books and have re-read them often. I think that Disney's animated version captures the spirit of the book far better than any of the live action Alice movies.

by Anonymousreply 34April 13, 2018 1:25 PM

There are way too many for me to mention just a couple. For me there's (in no particular order):

Pinocchio

Fantastic Mr. Fox

The Nightmare Before Christmas

My Friend Totoro

Dumbo

The Incredibles

Yellow Submarine

Gulliver's Travel

The Lion King

The Iron Giant

WAL-E

Ratatouille

The Secret of Nimh

Ice Age

and that's just off the top of my head - which reminds me of another one: The Point

by Anonymousreply 35April 13, 2018 2:34 PM

I agree, R34. Surprising as it is, Disney's Alice actually gets the mix of whimsy and darkness right. None of the other filmed versions have been able to strike a balance: they are either too dark or too twee.

by Anonymousreply 36April 13, 2018 3:10 PM

Over the Hedge Open Season Madagascar

by Anonymousreply 37April 13, 2018 3:11 PM

The best, most emotional movies are:

Inside Out

Zoophilia

Moana

Sargent Stubby

by Anonymousreply 38April 13, 2018 7:15 PM

R23’s list is tasteful & comprehensive, and the best so far in this thread. Allow me to second ANASTASIA & THUMBELINA, AN AMERICAN TAIL (and the sequel FIEVEL GOES WEST), THE PRINCE OF EGYPT (if you need to cry your feelings out), BATMAN: UNDER THE RED HOOD (another one to cry over, Jason Todd is so tragic), ALL DOGS GO TO HEAVEN (will melt a heart of stone tbh), BASIL THE GREAT MOUSE DETECTIVE, A GOOFY MOVIE (and the sequel AN EXTREMELY GOOFY MOVIE), and SURF’S UP (truly underrated, with a killer OST).

Another poster said THE SECRET OF NIMH, which is an exquisite choice and Bluth’s finest work. THE IRON GIANT is beautiful beyond belief. FANTASTIC MR. FOX is quotable even long after you first see it.

EMPEROR’S NEW GROOVE, TREASURE PLANET (underrated), MULAN, THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME (that score!) & SLEEPING BEAUTY are the best Disney recs from upthread so far imo. Unpopular opinion but THE LION KING II: SIMBA’S PRIDE had a better story & songs than the original, and ALADDIN & THE KING OF THIEVES was far more intricate & interesting than the first ALADDIN film.

I’ll add some of my favorites: WATERSHIP DOWN, ONCE UPON A FOREST & THE PLAGUE DOGS (none of these for young kids or depressed adults, though), Disney’s THE FOX & THE HOUND (even though it is very unfaithful to the book and to real life, it has great gay subtext) & HERCULES (ditto), BALTO (and the sequel WOLF’S QUEST), and SPIRIT: STALLION OF THE CIMARRON (Dreamworks’ most underrated picture, with excellent songs by Bryan Adams).

by Anonymousreply 39April 13, 2018 8:51 PM

I would agree with Wallace & Gromit, also Chicken Run, which is by the same director. Finding Nemo is very good, and I love the Penguins from Madagascar. Here's one of the first times I saw work by the Wallace & Gromit creator Nick Park. They did interviews with people visiting the zoo and then took the clips and matched them to animated scenes. The lion that wants "space" is hilarious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40April 13, 2018 9:24 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41April 13, 2018 9:33 PM

Sad to see, nobody else mentioned Coraline and the Laika movies :(

by Anonymousreply 42April 13, 2018 9:35 PM

Also Corpse Bride.

by Anonymousreply 43April 13, 2018 9:36 PM

The Croods

by Anonymousreply 44April 13, 2018 9:39 PM

Almost everything already mentioned and adding Cowboy Bebop The Movie

by Anonymousreply 45April 13, 2018 9:40 PM

R42 - Coraline and Laika fllms were the very first mentioned: R1 :)

by Anonymousreply 46April 13, 2018 9:42 PM

Persepolis

by Anonymousreply 47April 13, 2018 9:45 PM

[R46] Yeah, I know, I was the one who mentioned them. Sad that nobody ELSE mentioned them. They truly are an artistic achievement and gems. Specially Coraline.

by Anonymousreply 48April 13, 2018 9:46 PM

A Cat in Paris

Fantastic Planet

by Anonymousreply 49April 13, 2018 9:54 PM

R48 - Well the suggestions I offered up were ones that no one else had mentioned - so maybe that's why? There are not a lot of repeats listed. And the best often get posted right off the bat. ;) Great pick - my compliments. :)

by Anonymousreply 50April 13, 2018 9:56 PM

I also have to agree in Storks. Way better than some of the ones that got all the attention and/or awards like Boss Baby, etc. Storks was a cute little film, and the ending had my tearing up. They portrayed gay couples BTW.

by Anonymousreply 51April 13, 2018 10:00 PM

And the Aardman films. Specially Chicken Run and Pirates (the queen Victoria character is hilariously malevolous)

by Anonymousreply 52April 13, 2018 10:02 PM

Another vote for Pinocchio. GORGEOUS animation and detail!

by Anonymousreply 53April 13, 2018 10:06 PM

The Disney films that Howard Ashman worked on - The Little Mermaid, Beauty & the Beast and Aladdin - have a special place in my heart.

by Anonymousreply 54April 13, 2018 10:25 PM

The Aristocats has always been my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 55April 13, 2018 10:28 PM

This was one of my favorites as a kid. I haven't seen it since so I don't know how it holds up. Even then I was aware that the voice of the dark-haired girl was none other than Miss Rhoda Penmark!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56April 13, 2018 10:58 PM

I am hoping "Isle of Dogs" is going to be good

by Anonymousreply 57April 13, 2018 11:35 PM

No love for the Judy Garland/Robert Goulet classic "Gay Purr-ee"? Also starring Hermione Gingold. There's been no one like her for a century!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58April 14, 2018 12:01 AM

Seconding My Friend Totoro. Also, watch The Brave Little Toaster.

by Anonymousreply 59April 14, 2018 12:23 AM

Don’t forget Eastern Europe’s favorite cat and mouse team: Worker and Parasite:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60April 14, 2018 12:45 AM

Another vote for The Triplets of Belleville!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61April 14, 2018 12:49 AM

Richard Williams' haunting 1972 Oscar-winner, "A Christmas Carol". Alister Sim and Michael Hordern reprise their roles of Scrooge and Marley from the classic 1951 live-action version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62April 14, 2018 12:52 AM

The Emoji Movie

by Anonymousreply 63April 14, 2018 1:57 AM

Fritz the Cat, good old fashioned counter culture humor which exposes the truth about those sixties radicals. All they really wanted was to get laid. Ralph Bakshi's best. Features at least one gay character.

by Anonymousreply 64April 14, 2018 2:04 AM

I seem to have missed the many posts mentioning the astounding Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and the most lovable Lady and the Tramp.

by Anonymousreply 65April 14, 2018 2:49 AM

R63, the Emoji Movie is actually pretty good.

Yes, it shouldn't have been made in the first place. Yes, it's mainly a commercial for several stupid phone apps. Yes, the "twist" could be seen a mile away.

But it has some pretty good laughs, especially from the poop emoji who is voiced by none other than Sir Patrick Stewart.

by Anonymousreply 66April 20, 2018 10:24 AM

Has everyone forgotten about Sausage Party?

by Anonymousreply 67April 20, 2018 10:24 AM

Uh "Zoophilia" R38 ?

by Anonymousreply 68April 20, 2018 12:31 PM

Mary and Max

Ratatouille

Shrek

by Anonymousreply 69April 20, 2018 12:47 PM

Lady and the Tramp

Cinderella

101 Dalmations

by Anonymousreply 70April 20, 2018 1:31 PM

Animated TV shows worth knowing about include Over the Garden Wall (which I find creepy) and season one of Steven Universe (which was beautifully constructed as if Rebecca Sugar thought the show would be canceled. The narrative trainwreck that has followed as the show has been 'not canceled but only aired at secret times' may or may not be worthwhile at some future time.)

by Anonymousreply 71April 20, 2018 1:52 PM

r18

The Incredibles - boring?

I disagree. I thought it was a hoot. Especially:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72April 20, 2018 2:21 PM

Kiki's Delivery Service - Miyazaki

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73April 20, 2018 2:23 PM

My Neighbor Totoro - Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74April 20, 2018 2:24 PM

Charlotte's Web

Bee Movie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75April 20, 2018 2:26 PM

Has Mr. Bug/Hoppity Goes to Town been mentioned?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76April 20, 2018 4:29 PM

Another vote for Zootopia

by Anonymousreply 77April 21, 2018 1:35 AM

All Dogs Go To Heaven= tearjerker

by Anonymousreply 78April 21, 2018 1:40 AM

Anything by Hayao Miyazaki.

Also, Rankin/Bass's The Hobbit 1977, Bakshi's The Lord of the Rings 1978, and Rankin/Bass's The Return of the King as a trilogy.

Magic Boy (1959; English version 1961)

Fantasia 1940, and Fantasia 2000

Heavy Metal 1981

Watership Down 1978

by Anonymousreply 79April 21, 2018 3:28 AM

R79 Gollum in that Hobbit scared the shit out of me as a four year old. Everything about him was creepy as hell, especially when his eyes started swirling after he lost the ring and his voice went real crazy.

Legit gave me nightmares.

by Anonymousreply 80April 21, 2018 3:40 AM

R80, FYI - if you decide to re-collect The Hobbit 1977, get a used VHS - the DVD releases omit certain tracks from the soundtrack (i.e. the thrush chirping/fluttering in Smaug's lair, background battle sounds at The Battle of Five Armies).

That kind of thing drives me crazy. It's like the omission of politically incorrect lines from certain episodes in the DVD release of Jonny Quest.

by Anonymousreply 81April 21, 2018 3:46 AM

Spirited Away is a masterpiece.

I also like some lesser known animated films like Titan A.E. and Epic.

by Anonymousreply 82April 21, 2018 4:29 AM

All Studio Ghibli, especially Princess Mononoke, Grave of the Fireflies, and My neighbour Totoro Charlottes Web, the original, made me cry so hard I got a nose bleed. The Triplets of Belville Titan A.E. Footrot Flats Ralphs' Lord of the Rings

by Anonymousreply 83April 21, 2018 4:51 AM

Belladonna of Sadness (1973). It's amazing. I caught it late one night on TCM and it just blew me away. The story is just so fucking weird, you gotta love the Japanese. The link goes to the soundtrack BTW but it some stills from the movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84April 21, 2018 6:15 AM

Titan AE: haven't thought of that film in ages! It's been about 15 years since I've seen it and I'm pretty surprised to learn about how badly it flopped and how it only has a 51% on Rotten Tomatoes. I don't remember all of it, but I do remember enjoying it a lot and thinking it had a kickass soundtrack. Granted, I was just a kid when I saw it, but I was a kid with discriminating taste. I thought Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron was crap, didn't like Antz, was disappointed by Pokemon: The First Movie, found The Road to El Dorado to be just ok, and didn't really understand all the fuss about Finding Nemo.

Now I have the urge to re-watch Titan AE as an adult and see how it holds up.

BTW the movie has a scene where the main character (voiced by DL fave Matt Damon) is completely naked as he's being treated in a medical facility of some sort. It's something I distinctly remember from viewing it as a gayling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85April 22, 2018 3:30 AM

[quote]Disney’s THE FOX & THE HOUND (even though it is very unfaithful to the book and to real life, it has great gay subtext)

Don't Tod and Vixen end up together at the end of the movie, and wasn't the book another "everybody dies at the end" affair?

by Anonymousreply 86April 22, 2018 3:35 AM

Oh Dear, I just read the synopsis of the book The Fox and The Hound is based on. I thought the movie was a sad affair. I was wrong. The book looks like it's pretty bleak and cheerless. .... I guess nature is that way...

by Anonymousreply 87April 22, 2018 4:17 AM

I do think Titan AE holds up as an adult. It could be the soundtrack that contributes to that but it also has a certain sarcastic attitude that I think plays well to adults. I also like the visuals but they probably look a bit cartoon-y by today's standards for animation.

by Anonymousreply 88April 22, 2018 6:08 AM

"I Love to Singa" (1936)

Classic animated short everyone should see.

Music and Lyrics by Harold Arlen and E.Y. Harburg to boot!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89April 22, 2018 6:15 AM

R89 Cute! Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 90April 22, 2018 1:23 PM

Frozen is charming and cute

by Anonymousreply 91April 22, 2018 1:29 PM

The best animated film of all-time, at least on a technical level, is Richard Williams' THE THIEF AND THE COBBLER. It was in and out of production for over 30 years and then it was bought and butchered by Miramax in the 90s and was never finished. The quality of the animation, all hand drawn by some of the best animators of all-time, is phenomenal. If you can get hold of a copy of "The Recobbled Cut", which is a fan-made reconstruction of the film, and uses bits of unfinished workprint or still frames to give you an idea of the bits that weren't finished. It's incredible, but also very sad considering its fate and the hard work and time that went into it.

Also, Disney--who owned Miramax by then--stole lots of stuff from the film for their later, lesser movies...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92April 22, 2018 1:47 PM

I love Anastasia.

by Anonymousreply 93April 22, 2018 1:50 PM

Allegro Non Troppo is an amazing flip side to Fantasia.

Wizards is a bizarre, mostly forgotten Bakshi film that I remember loving as a child and would love to see again.

And the Boris Karloff Grinch is one of the best films ever, even though it’s only a tv short.

by Anonymousreply 94April 22, 2018 3:04 PM

Why do I have a problem viewing Vimeo vids?

by Anonymousreply 95April 22, 2018 3:07 PM

Watch "Gay Purr-ee" , then "The Aristocats" , then try to figure out who tried to copy whom.

by Anonymousreply 96April 22, 2018 3:55 PM

I think since the first was released in 1962, and the latter in 1970, the answer is clear.

by Anonymousreply 97April 23, 2018 12:58 AM

[italic]Lady and the Tramp[/italic] and [italic]One Hundred and One Dalmatians[/italic] predate both of them.

by Anonymousreply 98April 23, 2018 1:17 AM

So? So does Nanook of the North.

by Anonymousreply 99April 23, 2018 11:25 AM

Those two movies are basically the same but with dogs.

by Anonymousreply 100April 23, 2018 11:49 AM

Finally watched Big Hero 6, and I found myself attracted to the older brother Tadashi lol The actor who voiced him, Daniel Henney, is hot too

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101March 17, 2019 6:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!