Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Women in hair curlers

I went out to a Walgreen's recently and I saw an older woman in the aisles wearing old-fashioned hair curlers. I was pretty taken aback because I don;t think i'd seen a woman wearing them since the early 80s. Yet before then it was such a common sight.

It always used to just repulse me, and I'm not sure exactly why.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 7, 2018 2:10 AM

Because the curly hair on their head made you think about their pubic hair.

by Anonymousreply 1April 6, 2018 9:38 PM

cunt

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 6, 2018 9:39 PM

It repulses me in the same way seeing women spending a complete trip on a train or bus doing their full make-up. Worse is when they do it whilst driving (and not just when stopped at the lights), very selfish.

Get up a little bit earlier to do this at home girls.

by Anonymousreply 3April 6, 2018 9:41 PM

It's a matter of looking ridiculous so you can supposedly look good.

Like having elbow patches, yes your jacket lasts longer, but you also look like dickhead for longer.

by Anonymousreply 4April 6, 2018 9:43 PM

My mother thought women, who curlers in public were white trash and don't get her started on house dresses!

by Anonymousreply 5April 6, 2018 9:43 PM

Gorjus

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 6, 2018 9:44 PM

What r3 says. And quite often, they look worse leaving the train than when they boarded au naturel.

by Anonymousreply 7April 6, 2018 9:45 PM

How else do you get this look?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 6, 2018 9:47 PM

When my sisters were teens they used to 'roll their hair', as they called it. That was back in the 80's though, and they got tired of it quickly and switched to hot curlers that they only left in for 10 minutes. Now they blow their hair out straight and curl the ends with a curling iron. Even if they still 'rolled their hair,' they wouldn't think of going out anywhere in public with curlers. Times have changed.

But I think some women go out in public in curlers because they don't want to sit under the hair dryer for an hour and this way their hair is air-drying for a few hours while they are running errands and getting things done.

by Anonymousreply 9April 6, 2018 9:47 PM

She found a look that works for her and she's sticking with it. Don't be so judgemental.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 6, 2018 9:48 PM

There's a trans woman in a FB group I'm part of. who constantly posts photos & You Tube videos of herself in curlers. She seems obsessed with being a 1950's-early 60's housewife. By the way , this creature identifies as a lesbian...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 6, 2018 9:53 PM

The hipster-rapper Boyfriend's signature performance look is giant hair curlers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 6, 2018 9:53 PM

R10 that is some fabulous hair

by Anonymousreply 13April 6, 2018 9:55 PM

My mom used to say it was fine to wear curlers out of the house to run errands so long as you were an attractive scarf completely over the curlers, and I think she was right. No one wants to lok at curlers--they're repulsive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 6, 2018 9:57 PM

Q.E.D.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 6, 2018 10:00 PM

I always wondered where those women were going that was more important than being seen in public in the curlers.

by Anonymousreply 16April 6, 2018 10:01 PM

Hot masculine men are doing the curler routine too, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 6, 2018 10:09 PM

Curlers in your hair. Shame on you.

by Anonymousreply 18April 6, 2018 10:16 PM

Anyone else see women roll their with empty orange juice concentrate cans? I remember a neighborhood lady doing this. Donald Duck orange juice was the brand.

by Anonymousreply 19April 6, 2018 11:18 PM

r14, your mother was wrong. And she shouldn't wear white shoes after Labor Day.

by Anonymousreply 20April 6, 2018 11:23 PM

My mother hated doing her hair. She had lost interest in her appearance somewhere between the fourth and fifth kid and my father's frequent hunting and fishing trips.

She had a "hair in curlers" wig with a big bandanna over it she'd wear on Saturday mornings to the Big Four market on Virginia. When she got home she'd pull it off and run a brush once one either side of her head and all her neighbors would tell her how nice she looked when they saw her at church on Sunday.

Dear Mom. She'd have loved Dollar Tree. But she died.

by Anonymousreply 21April 6, 2018 11:28 PM

R5 my family felt the same way. We weren't well off, but no one groomed in public and we wore clothing outside. No one wore house coats out of the house. My grandfather used to reference "the kind of woman who sat around the house in a chenille bathrobe all day and wore curlers to grocery store."

by Anonymousreply 22April 6, 2018 11:32 PM

Lol R18, I remember that ad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 7, 2018 12:55 AM

R21, thank you for spelling "bandanna" correctly. Sorry about your mom.

by Anonymousreply 24April 7, 2018 1:27 AM

R22, your grandfather was quite lyrical with his description. It’s wonderfully worded. He was the only straight man in the world who knew what chenille is. I wish more people would speak as well as he did. It’s nice.

by Anonymousreply 25April 7, 2018 1:38 AM

I have to tell you those curlers were hell to sleep on

by Anonymousreply 26April 7, 2018 1:48 AM

One side of my family is of German descent - a pack of short, pointy-headed, gnomish, cold, bitter old ladies who go bald as they age.

My great aunts spent most mornings in house coats, rolling wisps of hair into tight curlers while watching their programs. In the afternoon, they'd remove the rollers and change into polyester pantsuits to go out.

You'd still see the veins on their noggins with tiny fuzz dancing about.

Their children? Hillbilly fuckers, every one of them.

by Anonymousreply 27April 7, 2018 2:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!