Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sinclair turning News anchors into ProTrump soldiers

Massive brainwashing going on in the airways as Sinclair keeps turning local news across the country into pro right wing media.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98April 4, 2018 11:20 PM

Scary, they all sound like zombie repeating Trump's words without realizing.

In California my local channel turned from liberal to right wing right after Sinclair bought it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 1, 2018 3:33 PM

Here is background about Sinclair for those who aren't up on it.

They're a conservative station group that will soon expand to 72 percent of the U.S.

They show conservative "news" specials and the stations are literally required to include conservative content. Studies showed they were vastly pro-Trump and anti-Clinton during the election.

There used to be limits on the number of stations any one group could own. Then Trump's FCC appointee, Ajit Pai, decided to eliminate the rule. Surprise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 1, 2018 3:41 PM

Isn't it fairly easy to boycott Sinclair radio stations? It's like Fox News. You just don't tune in.

by Anonymousreply 3April 1, 2018 3:42 PM

[quote]Isn't it fairly easy to boycott Sinclair radio stations? It's like Fox News. You just don't tune in.

It's more complicated than that.

The sane and intelligent had better get their act together and decide what is and is not important. Trump is in office because people didn't vote, were pissed that they did not get their way, etc. The minority of this country was able to put this idiot and office and then have suffering rain upon us all.

Sinclair Broadcasting (along with FOX) know exactly what they are doing. Not everyone is so connected to the internet and other new-fangle technology. While we play to with our toys, and think that society will take care of itself, the conservative media does whatever is necessary to do to get the people that they need out to vote!

by Anonymousreply 4April 1, 2018 3:52 PM

Our side has pretty much lost this battle. But there may be occasional local opportunities to buy local radio stations back from bankrupt iHeart (Clear Channel) or Cumulus. If you've got some money and media experience, now's the time.

Recently, the Cesar Chavez Foundation bought a local AM/FM station. We were all hoping that it might be the end of the AM's extremely vicious hate talk programming. Some of us appealed directly to their board of directors to end the hate talk that has done considerable damage to the community. Instead, they made a long term agreement that ensures that hate radio continues for 5 years with a 5 year option. This was entirely about cash flow into their non-profit, BTW.

by Anonymousreply 5April 1, 2018 3:59 PM

[quote] While we play to with our toys, and think that society will take care of itself, the conservative media does whatever is necessary to do to get the people that they need out to vote!

Quite frankly if Donald Trump and his actions don't motivate them to vote in favor of the Democratic Party then nothing will. And maybe I am too smart but I seriously question ANY media outlet that tries to spin Trump's actions or tries to make him and his actions look presidential. The same thing with media outlets siding with the Republican Party and doing all the fear mongering for them.

If Russian Bots and Facebook taught us anything it is that you should rely more on your own critical thinking skills than what others declare to be the truth, or public opinion.

by Anonymousreply 6April 1, 2018 4:18 PM

It's going to be local stations versus Holywood and online outlets. People are going to get even more radicalized and the nation more polarized as a result. Or perhaps this is just their last gasp. Whatever the case, it's an interesting social experiment but I'm glad I'll be dead before it gets even more heated.

Also, I'm seeing your conservative and alt-right tactics being exported to my own country as well, so thanks for that. US politics - the gift that keeps on giving...

by Anonymousreply 7April 1, 2018 4:19 PM

I have noticed that Spanish speaking radio stations are starting to sound right wing too and it unnerves me. There is this host, that came out of nowhere, that keeps citing Fox News as his main source in a station that is very popular here (Southern California) with Latinos. I love this station because it airs a lot folkloric music from Latin America, but I find myself not listening to radio anymore. Even the R&B station is sounding a bit Trump-ish.

by Anonymousreply 8April 1, 2018 4:24 PM

Well, duh. The straight white male demographic is going to be outnumbered any time soon and the conservatives need the Latinos to do their bidding from now on.

by Anonymousreply 9April 1, 2018 4:27 PM

As unsexy they are as campaign issues, the two biggest changes that need to take place are campaign finance reform and reinstating the fairness doctrine for media stations. Without those two things, our democracy is lost.

by Anonymousreply 10April 1, 2018 4:33 PM

[quote]If Russian Bots and Facebook taught us anything it is that you should rely more on your own critical thinking skills than what others declare to be the truth, or public opinion.

This started long before. This is the moneyed Conservative agenda. The Mercers. The Kochs, et alia. This is the Heritage Foundation and ALEC. People are not being taught how to critically think. Roger Ailes said it best: "You don't tell people how to think. You tell them what to think."

by Anonymousreply 11April 1, 2018 4:40 PM

John Oliver did an excellent piece on Sinclair Watch it when you have time:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 1, 2018 4:43 PM

Can Sinclair be stopped?

by Anonymousreply 13April 1, 2018 4:54 PM

You can go back to the 1800s and see plenty of periods where politicians screwed over the entire country. It seems to be a phenomenon baked right into our culture. Every time in the past, though, the country righted itself. I'm not convinced we will this time. I think older and less educated people are going to be manipulated by the Sinclairs and NRAs and Kochs for decades, and we may very well lose our democracy as a result.

by Anonymousreply 14April 1, 2018 4:55 PM

[quote]Can Sinclair be stopped?

Maybe. But, it has to be creative. Of course you go after the advertisers but that money is long. I don't wish to offend anyone but you can mock those that still listen to radio. I mean who really listens to radio anymore? I most certainly don't. My car music is CD's and/or programmed. I'm a YouTube fanatic. So, unless it shows up there... am then the gym. I don't even know these new artists that are out here unless I hear them on Pandora--and that's old now too!

But, here's my idea... Someone has to re-introduce the Fairness Doctrine Act. Of course it won't pass but if the argument can be made regarding its need and get that message heavily into the political conversation and the media, I think that there is a chance.

by Anonymousreply 15April 1, 2018 5:07 PM

They've been doing that for years. At least they've kept Mark's Hymen off camera more lately.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 1, 2018 5:23 PM

I stopped watching the local news from one particular channel.

The tweet that went around yesterday had my local news broadcasters parroting those lines like a bunch of idiots. I guess they do it to keep from losing their jobs but shit, it really pisses me off.

Apparently they only air those "messages" during the local news times because I have yet to see them during primetime network programming.

by Anonymousreply 17April 1, 2018 5:39 PM

Trumpsters make ideal media consumers. They're credulous and tribal, and accept whatever call to action their trusted media suggests. Too bad their media is in the hands of people who want to destroy the country.

[quote]I have noticed that Spanish speaking radio stations are starting to sound right wing too and it unnerves me.

In the case of the Chavez Foundation, it's all about the money. They paid large fines to the FCC for running commercials on their non-commercial stations. They're buying commercial stations (like the AM/FM I mentioned at R5) so they can rake in the dough legally.

I met Cesar Chavez in the 70's. I think he'd be quite displeased with his foundation's board's greed over activism. And their tolerance of hate talk radio calls to violence which targets undocumented workers directly. The clip below is from their AM station. Stunning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 1, 2018 6:12 PM

The station manager of our local NBC affiliate went on a bizarre tirade about "fake" global warming science a couple of years back but thankfully he hasn't been seen since, not that I watch them anymore.

by Anonymousreply 19April 1, 2018 6:15 PM

[quote]Can Sinclair be stopped?

Yes

It is practically running amuck because the FCC took down restrictions after Trump got into office. Sinclair is practically running a monopoly now. The moment Democrats take back the office, Sinclair will be taking to the cleaners.

Not to sound tin hat, but it almost seems to be a coordinated attempt between many right wing players. The evangelicals are hitting hardcore the ethnic Latino and Asian neighborhoods . It's 11 am here and I have had to scream at two very suborn groups of evangelicals. You kick them out of your yard and they stand their ground. It's very creepy and they are very blatant about it. Handsome white people speaking broken Spanish and wearing pins with Mexican flags. I have never seen something like this.

The Dems are not paying attention again. They are too focused in getting the white vote in the Rustbelt to see what it's taking place in the West Coast.

by Anonymousreply 20April 1, 2018 6:16 PM

Do I send emails to the local news station? Or their sponsors??

What should I say?

by Anonymousreply 21April 1, 2018 7:30 PM

No joke: they have a former Trump campaign person do political commentary.

A Russian.

Named Boris.

You can't make this shit up. How do regular people not notice this?

by Anonymousreply 22April 1, 2018 7:40 PM

Related thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 1, 2018 7:43 PM

Our local CBS affiliate is Sinclair owned. One of their anchors is an alt-right loon. He was suspended in this instance but I wonder if Sinclair will start pushing more outrageous lies as their power and reach increases.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24April 1, 2018 7:45 PM

R24 The answer is a resounding "yes"! But they are being very strategic about it. They'll wait a certain amount of time and start up again. Attention can't be diverted.

by Anonymousreply 25April 1, 2018 7:50 PM

This is really sad.

by Anonymousreply 26April 1, 2018 7:55 PM

Stop watching the network and write the networks about it. If the local affiliate starts bleeding ratings in major markets, something will happen. I stopped watching the local ABC station in DC when it was bought by Sinclair. It's easy enough to find the content from the network in other places.

by Anonymousreply 27April 1, 2018 8:02 PM

Can’t these news anchors have some dignity and quit? Surely there are other jobs out there.

If they all walked out together it would get some more attention?

by Anonymousreply 28April 1, 2018 8:25 PM

We all must learn to be more selective with what we consume and that includes (news) media consumption. Right Wing conservatives use the media to scare people and then offer these scared people the solution which is joining their cause and be basically cannon fodder.

by Anonymousreply 29April 1, 2018 8:25 PM

Who knew these innocent little tin can stations would be hijacked by the right wing. They are really going all in on fascism. They need to be careful what they wish for.

by Anonymousreply 30April 1, 2018 8:26 PM

Who owns this pile of sewage?

by Anonymousreply 31April 1, 2018 8:27 PM

The anchors ought to be ashamed of themselves. How can they look at their children?

by Anonymousreply 32April 1, 2018 8:28 PM

I don't know why people are surprised by this. Sinclair has been doing this for like two years now. Everyone all of a sudden seem shocked that the internet is being used as a weapon, that the conservative right wing is buying up media, etc IT HAS BEEN GOING ON! Where have you been?

by Anonymousreply 33April 1, 2018 8:30 PM

Google "Radio Télévision Libre des Mille Collines" for where this could head.

by Anonymousreply 34April 1, 2018 8:32 PM

In DC, all of the longtime and big name anchors left over the course of a few years. Some retired. Some moved to other stations. No one said anything disparaging outright but you knew what was going on if you paid attention. In smaller markets, the longer-term anchors either go away from local airwaves altogether or the turnover is such that new faces just show up regularly anyway.

by Anonymousreply 35April 1, 2018 8:32 PM

So who exactly is behind Sinclair, the Mercers? The Koch brothers? Murdoch?

[quote]. Sinclair has been doing this for like two years now. Everyone all of a sudden seem shocked that the internet is being used as a weapon, that the conservative right wing is buying up media, etc IT HAS BEEN GOING ON! Where have you been?

Not in all markets. As Sinclair expands more people are exposed to their right wing poison and naturally complain. It doesn't matter if people knew that this was going on in some local station in the far away lands of Alabama or Mississippi, Sinclair is now poisoning the blue states as well

by Anonymousreply 36April 1, 2018 8:48 PM

Garbage.

by Anonymousreply 37April 1, 2018 8:49 PM

[quote] Recently, the Cesar Chavez Foundation bought a local AM/FM station.

If they truly wish to follow Cesar Chavez's leadership they will be strongly anti-illegal invasion. Chavez understood these economic migrants took jobs and undermined wages from his Farm Workers. Under him the UFW even organized patrols along the border to "discourage" the "wetbacks" (his term).

Jerry Brown made a great show for the cameras supporting Chavez in the 70s, but since has done nothing but backstab what Cesar fought for.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38April 1, 2018 10:07 PM

Seb Gorka segment is must run on all Sinclair owned affiliates

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39April 1, 2018 10:27 PM

It is important that some light is shined on this shady shit. But the great divide remains. Those that believe the 'fake news' talk will continue to and those that don't will continue to eye roll it all.

But this is like something out of a scary futuristic movie where big brother tells you what to believe.

Except it is real and happening now. EEEEEEK

Has Sinclair even bothered to comment ??

by Anonymousreply 40April 1, 2018 11:03 PM

Tom Steyer should be using his billions to buy up radio and TV stations instead of wasting it trying to get Trump impeached. It isn't that I don't want Trump impeached, but you aren't going to change peoples mind on that with TV ads.

by Anonymousreply 41April 1, 2018 11:12 PM

[quote]Has Sinclair even bothered to comment ??

Why would they? Why would they want to bring the spotlight to themselves?

by Anonymousreply 42April 1, 2018 11:19 PM

To a deplorable, "fake news" just means news that I don't agree with or doesn't affirm what I already think.

Facts have no bearing in this.

by Anonymousreply 43April 1, 2018 11:20 PM

Does some have a full list of all Sinclair owned stations nationally?

by Anonymousreply 44April 1, 2018 11:36 PM

R38 is a Russian bot who is clearly twisting what took place. Wetback was used when Navy officers would go to "barrios" to beat Mexicans up. There is enough documentation of both white and black sailors visiting Mexican "barrios" to violently attack pachucos. In many instances, women carrying children were beat up when there were no young men to play with. What Cesar Chavez did was to take that word back so that it wouldn't have the same effect. Bobby Kennedy used it to at the same gathering, and it was not intended to hurt farm workers who where illegal.

Cesar Chavez, Bobby Kennedy, and Coretta Scott King stood at the border, but not to capture "wetbacks." He was advocating for a sensible immigration policy that would stop human rights violations. He even traveled to Mexico and other Latin American countries to insist that those countries stopped the flow of illegal immigration, but he never advocated for their mistreatment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45April 1, 2018 11:42 PM

Cesar speaks for himself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46April 2, 2018 12:00 AM

Sinclair knows exactly what they are doing by gobbling up fledgling TV affiliates, many in key swing markets. Americans get their news via their local ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX affiliate than any other source. People know what FOX News is and what to expect when tuning in.

They don't, however, expect their local newsreaders who they've been familiar with for years (decades sometimes) to be using White House talking points to advance a right-wing agenda unbeknownst to them. It's a huge win for right-wing interests but a disaster for democracy.

I'm glad this has received a lot of media attention this week. I've seen it pop up on Twitter a lot, but it's just a small fraction of Americans that know about it.

I can't say I blame the anchors for reading off a prompter. They have bills to pay and if they refuse to read the talking points, there is always someone else they can replace them with.

by Anonymousreply 47April 2, 2018 12:12 AM

By the end of that clip, it was very 'I thought we were friends. I only wanted to make you a cup of coffee. I thought we were ....."

by Anonymousreply 48April 2, 2018 12:17 AM

I sincerely hope the local news watching generation is dying out. I can’t tell you the last time I sat through an entire local news broadcast. The 90s? And I m an old man of 52. That said I know the trolls are working hard to reach young people online and social media.

by Anonymousreply 49April 2, 2018 12:21 AM

This is the same media conglomerate that pre-empted programming in 2004 to air an anti-John Kerry "documentary" hit piece two weeks before the election in primetime. They had just 24% reach then. It's now about 40% but that will grow when the FCC approves a plan to give them substantially more reach. This is scary shit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50April 2, 2018 12:23 AM

Can the nightly new run a story exposing the affiliates it runs on?

by Anonymousreply 51April 2, 2018 12:25 AM

Seattle Sinclair anchor tweets an SOS

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52April 2, 2018 12:26 AM

Shame on any "journalist" who thinks they're any different from North Korean television if they do the bidding of this evil company.

by Anonymousreply 53April 2, 2018 12:27 AM

For R44

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54April 2, 2018 12:28 AM

Y’all need to retweet that lady’s sos. She’s really sticking her neck out there.

by Anonymousreply 55April 2, 2018 12:29 AM

Cnn, nbc, abc, msnbc, cbs, all invited to hillary’s party 💩

by Anonymousreply 56April 2, 2018 12:34 AM

Here is their website. If you click the DMA tab, you can see the markets they reach. Of note they own large swaths of markets in the key swing states of Nevada, Florida, Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina and Ohio. Their partisan local news reports may have very well swung the election. People who are watching "Match Game" on ABC and watch their late local news afterward are digesting this garbage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57April 2, 2018 12:36 AM

Now with polluted public OTA propaganda reaching 70% of households (but hopefully consumed by a far less amount), the USA continues its march to becoming the world's richest banana republic.

by Anonymousreply 58April 2, 2018 12:42 AM

R46 is an idiot that is taking an actual event out of context. He was denouncing that farmers (along with unions) would stop any labor strikes by farm workers by bringing illegal workers to replace them for daring to ask for better working conditions like clean water. His organization helped Illegal immigrant farm workers as well, I would say it helped disproportionately illegal farm workers which makes your argument mute.

La Union is one of the most important organizations helping illegal or legal farm workers today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59April 2, 2018 12:47 AM

[quote]Shame on any "journalist" who thinks they're any different from North Korean television if they do the bidding of this evil company.

The reality is that people have bills to pay too! There are a GREAT many who are making 6 figures and still they live paycheck to paycheck.

In my opinion, the issue is not to attack Sinclair broadcasting so much BUT to educate the populous about what is happening and to encourage critical thinking. This is where, (in my opinion), where the Democrats are woefully failing! Although I'm encouraged that we can rid ourselves of this scourge, (and I want to take the House & the Senate), I realize the money and resources--especially the money, being thrown into this buy the Conservative extreme right-wing, Russians, and whoever else, to stop this from happening! The Democrats MUST get a message and credible rebuttals to these attacks.

by Anonymousreply 60April 2, 2018 12:52 AM

Interesting R57, in California they are all over the central valley Devin Nunez and Kevin McCarthy.

by Anonymousreply 61April 2, 2018 12:53 AM

Fuck you r56, you piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 62April 2, 2018 12:55 AM

You guys act like this is something new. Remember how the media suddenly discovered the word "gravitas" in 2000? CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS all reading from the same script.

From time to time someone notices. Conan o'Brian five years ago

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63April 2, 2018 1:06 AM

One can already see the change in YouTube for example. The right-wing are coming up with click-bait titles etc. Once they have you that is all that they need. Eventually, one will watch one of their videos all the way through. Here are some example (and these are VERY recent--like today)

-Trump Family Makes HEARTBREAKING Announcement About Barron

-President Trump and First Lady Melania Trump celebrates Easter. April 1, 2018. Palm Beach

-President Trump, with Smiling Melania Arrive at Church "DACA DEAL NO MORE" April 1, 2018

New channels are popping up with a lot of views etc.

by Anonymousreply 64April 2, 2018 1:07 AM

Two years ago:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65April 2, 2018 1:07 AM

There is a difference between sharing scripts to the affiliates a media company owns for national stores and outright using propaganda to advance right-wing talking points, but you knew that.

by Anonymousreply 66April 2, 2018 1:10 AM

Youtube is such an unregulated platform is almost dangerous. Type David Hogg and watch all the right wing propaganda with IP address from Macedonia and Russia. Google is not doing their part to stop propaganda. I already sent Youtube and google a letter and called my representative to ask them what they are going to do about this.

by Anonymousreply 67April 2, 2018 1:11 AM

just block the troll at R65 . He is probably a plant for the right wing media.

by Anonymousreply 68April 2, 2018 1:12 AM

[quote]One can already see the change in YouTube for example. The right-wing are coming up with click-bait titles etc.

And then, YouTube, Google, Facebook, all say that they had no idea of what was happening? The NRA FLOODED YouTube with Pro-NRA advertising particularly towards those channels which were anti-NRA

[quote]There is a difference between sharing scripts to the affiliates a media company owns for national stores and outright using propaganda to advance right-wing talking points, but you knew that.

Yep! And the person that posted that here DID know that! I'm telling you all that this operation is VERY detailed and with purpose. We know that the right-wing whatever is here on DL. But, many of us are able to critically think. DON'T ASSUME THAT FOR THE REST OF THE COUNTRY!

by Anonymousreply 69April 2, 2018 1:14 AM

I would advise all of you to contact google and youtube and start reporting propaganda channels left and right. Keep copies of those emails or write down the time and the reason for contacting them by email/phone.

by Anonymousreply 70April 2, 2018 1:28 AM

Well, this is a good sign! ""Morning Joe" is reporting this.

by Anonymousreply 71April 2, 2018 12:22 PM

[quote] "fake news" just means news that I don't agree with or doesn't affirm what I already think. Facts have no bearing in this.

As this thread indicates, this is applicable across the political spectrum and is not restricted to or indicative of a specific political view.

by Anonymousreply 72April 2, 2018 12:33 PM

Meanwhile, out here in the real world, this thread doesn't "indicate" any such thing.

by Anonymousreply 73April 2, 2018 2:10 PM

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump @realDonaldTrump

So funny to watch Fake News Networks, among the most dishonest groups of people I have ever dealt with, criticize Sinclair Broadcasting for being biased. Sinclair is far superior to CNN and even more Fake NBC, which is a total joke.

6:28 AM - 2 Apr 2018

by Anonymousreply 74April 2, 2018 3:26 PM

^The President of the United States, Ladies and Gentlemen.

Every fucking day, I can't believe what a disgrace this country has become.

Keep in mind this pigman LOVED CNN and NBC and all of the rest when they allowed him a platform to spread his birther bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 75April 2, 2018 4:28 PM

[quote]As this thread indicates, this is applicable across the political spectrum and is not restricted to or indicative of a specific political view

People like you are such cowards when you pull this shit knowing full-well the right-wing is psychotic with their conspiracy theories. "Fake news" from the left is daring to actually report the garbage out of Trump's mouth or the disgusting tweets from his tiny fingers. The fucking president links to videos to spread hate for humanbeings - that's not fake news, that's accurate. The fake news would be the videos right-wing psychos spread around in their little circle-jerks to foment hate and hysteria.

by Anonymousreply 76April 2, 2018 4:33 PM

I many times wonder if posters such as R72 are trolls just looking for friends and gets off when others respond to their posts; the Russians; the alt-right from different parts of the world; or actual Republicans who come to a gay site (they may be gay themselves) to spew their nonsense.

But, let's assume they are the right-wing Republican and therefore such a person must be demented--I feel, to come here and try to push this nonsense. I didn't understand Republicans before but I definitely can't understand gay Republicans who now support this Administration. Maybe this poster would like to try to enlighten us about why Trump and hid Administration are good for us gays and why we should support them?

by Anonymousreply 77April 2, 2018 5:02 PM

[quote]Every time in the past, though, the country righted itself. I'm not convinced we will this time. I think older and less educated people are going to be manipulated by the Sinclairs and NRAs and Kochs for decades, and we may very well lose our democracy as a result.

Compare the environment now to the early 2000's . When news figures like Rather and Donahue were losing their jobs. Donahue simply because he questioned whether going into Iraq was the right thing to do. When the Iraq War protests were downgraded or all but ignored by the media. When entertainers like the Dixie Chicks were blacklisted for speaking out. With the McCarthy-esque "You're with us or against us" slogan was use as a threat to the Democratic party to stay in line. Those were the dark days.

Things are dark now, but they are rays of hope sprouting up everywhere. Look at FOX news. Ailes was outed as a sexual harasser. O Reilly lost his job. Hannity was close to losing his. And Ingraham's future is now up in the air. All of this would have been unfathomable fifteen, twenty years ago. Yeah, they may still be getting good ratings from their base, but they've been slowly crumbling too. They don't have the force they used to have.

Kathy Griffin is already on her second wind, for an incident that would have destroyed her career with no hope of recovery had she done it decades before.

The gun control movement. Young kids are finally starting to say they've had enough. And young, white kids from Middle Class suburbs of Florida! Battleground of most hotly contested election in history before 2016! The name calling responses are because they have nothing to frame the narrative with. At one point, these people would have most likely been Republican voters.

Times are changing. It's not going to be instant, it's going to take time. But it's happening. Republicans are getting in the depths of the gutter because they know they're losing. They don't have anything left. But that doesn't mean they're winning. Not by a long shot. And did you really think they wouldn't go down kicking and screaming.

The thing the dems HAVE to stop doing is recycling hopeless scenarios. It's not hopeless. Things can be turned around, but it's got to take time and effort. You can't give up and throw in the towel every time their isn't immediate change.

What you're witnessing is the last fight of a segment of society that is losing its majority.

by Anonymousreply 78April 2, 2018 5:05 PM

"Fake NBC" /MSNBC has covered this all day, and yeah, Joe and Mika (who got her start in local tv news) were on fire about it. CNN is covering the Sinclair story also.

It's one thing for a station, or network, to allow an editorial from an owner or someone expressing an owner's opinion. That used to happen sometimes, like it does in newspapers.

But traditionally, there would be one speaker, speaking for himself or herself. And opportunity offered for dissenting views to be published or broadcast.

Sending a script to local stations and requiring that the top anchors read it verbatim is truly sick.

by Anonymousreply 79April 2, 2018 5:15 PM

The only thing that's going to bring this country back to something resembling sanity is, I'm sorry to say, a catastrophic event.

A 9/11 times a thousand: A nuclear attack in Flyoverland. Or another Great Depression. Widespread suffering and death directly attributable to a Trump action.

That's the only thing that might wake up the brainwashed deplorables that they've been lied to and exploited by a sociopathic man-baby and the GOP.

Otherwise, we're too far gone. This insanity over a lack of objective facts is just going to keep compounding and compounding.

by Anonymousreply 80April 2, 2018 5:15 PM

[quote]Otherwise, we're too far gone

Nonsense.

[quote]This insanity over a lack of objective facts is just going to keep compounding and compounding.

How is this going to get accomplished when a sizeable portion of this country thinks this administration is a joke as it is?

by Anonymousreply 81April 2, 2018 5:19 PM

[quote]A 9/11 times a thousand: A nuclear attack in Flyoverland. Or another Great Depression. Widespread suffering and death directly attributable to a Trump action.

Somewhere in Washington D.C. an orange, obese "man" just got a teeny-tiny hard on.

by Anonymousreply 82April 2, 2018 5:24 PM

The right-wing has been DEPLORABLE for a long time. Stupid, old women at the RNC in 2004 wearing band-aids on their faces with sparkly purple hearts to ridicule John Kerry's service. They were there to cheer on a man who went to the Nat'l Guard instead of Vietnam, yet they mocked the service of an actual Vet. Max Cleland -three-time amputee- being branded a traitor by a fucking draft dodger, Saxby Chambliss.

The GOP has been a repulsive, DEPLORABLE group of draft dodging, racist, bigoted warmongers for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 83April 2, 2018 5:36 PM

We'd rather have someone who never served in the military than someone who served honorably but disagrees with us about our positions on OUR GREAT MILITARY.

Do t tell us about their "service." They all LIE!

by Anonymousreply 84April 2, 2018 6:04 PM

Fox is on its way down and Sinclair hopes to fill the void. Kissing Trump's ass = favorable FCC decisions for Sinclair.

by Anonymousreply 85April 2, 2018 6:07 PM

This is actually the most shocking thing so far in the Trump regime.

by Anonymousreply 86April 2, 2018 6:17 PM

For any of you who might not know, there's a great show that airs every Sunday morning at 8am on CNN: Reliable Sources.

It's one hour devoted to various media outlets and how they covered the news the past week. Brian Stelter is the host. They've been covering Sinclair Media for almost two years, basically giving warning signals along the way with increasing dire. It's how I first heard about and have been following ever since. They also cover the real goings-on at Fox News and often bring on past employees, anchors, etc. It's pretty balanced, and many of their stories of warning have come to fruition.

I highly recommend it.

by Anonymousreply 87April 2, 2018 6:17 PM

It's not like it's never been done before. Hearst was accused of using his newspapers for smear campaigns 100 years ago.

Triangle Publications (Which used to own TV Guide and many PA TV stations like WPVI Philly) was accused of running a smear campaign against a PA governor and had their licenses of their TV stations revoked.

Of course that kind of thing hasn't happend since the 80s when Jimmy Carter started deregulation and Ronald Reagan perfected it (And yes, people forget it was Jimmy Carter who championed deregulation of industries and got the ball rolling).

by Anonymousreply 88April 2, 2018 6:28 PM

Yes, the Fairness Doctrine, which required some balance of viewpoints on broadcast media, was repealed under Reagan, right? Opposing views had to be given some equivalent airtime in order for stations to keep their licenses.

I believe it only applied to "broadcasters" who use the public airwaves, so unless amended it would never have applied to cable news. But the repeal of the rule cleared the way for the takeover of AM radio by right-wing loons without any response, and apparently the absence of the rule now allows Sinclair to foist conservative talking points via its hundreds of local stations. Viewers will think these are "local" views.

by Anonymousreply 89April 2, 2018 7:10 PM

MSNBC and CNN have been hammering them all day and are going to do so again all night. Good

by Anonymousreply 90April 3, 2018 12:14 AM

[quote] MSNBC and CNN have been hammering them all day and are going to do so again all night. Good

Our greatest responsibility is to serve our communities. We are extremely proud of the quality, balanced journalism that [station] produces.

But we’re concerned about the troubling trend of irresponsible, one-sided news stories plaguing our country. The sharing of biased and false news has become all too common on social media.

More alarming, some media outlets publish these same fake stories … stories that just aren’t true, without checking facts first.

Unfortunately, some members of the media use their platforms to push their own personal bias and agenda to control "exactly what people think." … This is extremely dangerous to a democracy.

It’s our responsibility to pursue and report the truth. We understand Truth is neither politically "left nor right." Our commitment to factual reporting is the foundation of our credibility, now more than ever.

That last sentence must really have been what really set off CNN and MSNBC.

by Anonymousreply 91April 3, 2018 1:12 AM

Yeah r12, John Oliver was on Sinclair way before most outlets started talking about it.

by Anonymousreply 92April 4, 2018 3:34 PM

I am glad Trump the idiot is tweeting about Sinclair, it makes people be for more aware of who Sinclair is and what they do...

by Anonymousreply 93April 4, 2018 3:59 PM

One of my local tv stations was bought out by Sinclair about ten years ago. I noticed some bizarre, We want to hear from you-type editorials by a guy who obviously wasn't part of the local news team in a generic set. I first thought it was someone who'd bought cheap airtime because they would show up after the Saturday night news. He wasn't spewing right wing talking points, it was mostly vague both- siderism. I stopped watching that channel for news, not that I ever watch much local news. As far as I know, the same anchors are still working there. I'm kind of tempted to tune in and see if the station has become more blatant.

by Anonymousreply 94April 4, 2018 4:53 PM

The networks need to be accountable for letting them use their logos.

This is not cool

by Anonymousreply 95April 4, 2018 11:18 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96April 4, 2018 11:19 PM

Get Hogg! These networks are profiting from Sinclair.

NBC CBS ABC, Shame on you!

by Anonymousreply 97April 4, 2018 11:20 PM

They should just change all three to NRA.

by Anonymousreply 98April 4, 2018 11:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!