Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Trans State Legislator Danica Roem is a Highly Skilled Politician

Some of you won't like acknowledging this but she knows what she is doing. She ran an underdog campaign on an infrastructure message, while letting her opponent spend all his time attacking her for being trans. The night she was elected, a reporter tried baiting her into gloating over her rival and she said "He is one of my constituents now, I don't attack my constituents." She's very comfortable in interviews and seems pretty good a door to door politicking and small events. She is catching the notice of national figures so I figure we will be seeing more of her. She definitely has the right instincts to go far in politics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20March 26, 2018 9:42 PM

Agree, OP. I follow her on Twitter and she's very direct and engaged. Her constituents are lucky to have her.

by Anonymousreply 1March 25, 2018 7:54 PM

She’s also very good on education. Not in her district but impressed.

by Anonymousreply 2March 25, 2018 8:00 PM

Good for her. She seems level headed.

by Anonymousreply 3March 25, 2018 8:01 PM

Well, thank you for that paid advertisement.

Being Trans does not, a priori, make her a good or bad politician, nor does it make decide whether to support or not her.

Why not focus on policy and not the person? While I could research it myself, based on what I currently know, I have no desire to do so.

If you want to drum up support, it's incumbent on you to convince, not me to convince myself.

by Anonymousreply 4March 25, 2018 8:04 PM

If he weren't trans OP would you even care?

by Anonymousreply 5March 25, 2018 8:06 PM

Trans = mentally ill, so no, she isn't "highly skilled". We don't need more mentally ill people in politics.

by Anonymousreply 6March 25, 2018 8:07 PM

"He is one of my constituents now"

genuis! You know he is just seething about that statement. Love it!

by Anonymousreply 7March 25, 2018 8:08 PM

R5 I would I think, though probably not to the same level.

I'm very liberal but I have also always had a detached, academic interest in elections and candidates, I find them fascinating. When there is an interesting or gifted one I tend to follow their career closely, whether democrat or republican. Danica got my interest because you would have expected a campaign involving a trans candidate to focus on that, or at least social acceptance more broadly. But Danica made several extremely shrewd moves and continues to do so. I'm curious how far she goes. I think in a couple years she will attempt a statewide election and I'm eager to see how it plays out.

by Anonymousreply 8March 25, 2018 8:31 PM

You mean she won because she focused on issues other than identity politics and it spoke to the largest number of voters? Who knew?

by Anonymousreply 9March 25, 2018 8:42 PM

Yes R9, but part of why I'm interested is because credible trans candidates are so rare, I am surprised Danica has been able to avoid the issue so successfully. It's not something people deal with every day

by Anonymousreply 10March 25, 2018 8:44 PM

OP, I agree. She seems pragmatic and politically savvy. And she has nice hair. Good for her.

by Anonymousreply 11March 25, 2018 8:59 PM

I too am curious about her

by Anonymousreply 12March 26, 2018 1:04 PM

Instead of an actual woman, Virginia Dems chose to give the nomination to this individual.

I'm neither a woman, nor a resident of VA, but I'm curious to know if there was any pushback from real women in the state's Democratic party.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13March 26, 2018 1:23 PM

R13 Impossible to win as a democrat in VA without leaning on the women vote. So I take it they are fine with it.

by Anonymousreply 14March 26, 2018 1:36 PM

Have you ever noticed that transwomen make the news for things like getting elected, being CEOs of corporations, and winning athletic competitions, while transmen make the news for... having babies?

Ignoring or denying sexism won't abolish it. Men "being women" is always appropriation, and women can't "identify" their way out of oppression.

by Anonymousreply 15March 26, 2018 1:51 PM

No thank you.

by Anonymousreply 16March 26, 2018 1:56 PM

I've actually been very impressed with Danica. I'm not someone who has bought into the whole trans agenda -- kids should not be given dangerous drugs to "trans" them; women born as women have the right to say who enters public spaces set aside for women; and get-the-fuck-outta-here with that "cis" and pronoun bullshit. That said, if an adult male wants to live as a woman, go for it, and she should not be discriminated against for making that decision.

Danica has played this all very smartly. She seems reasonable and sensible., friendly and approachable. I like her.

Her win must grate on another transwoman -- Dana Beyer -- in Maryland who has run several times -- and lost -- and is running again for a state senate seat. I think the reason that Dana hasn't won has nothing to do with the trans issue -- it's that she is a grade A, first-class bitch. Haughty and condescending, she sneers at everyone for not being as smart as she believes herself to be (she's a doctor). She's gotten herself appointed to plenty of boards and commissions because she can browbeat individual politicians into putting her on those boards. But, trying to convince the voting public of her suitability for public office, not so much.

Smartly, Danica didn't make it all about the trans, which I have noticed many (but not all) trans people do. It is their all-consuming passion. Everything they do, see, hear, think, and believe is filtered through the lens of trans. Everything. No matter how insignificant or mundane the topic or issue, everything is about trans.

by Anonymousreply 17March 26, 2018 1:59 PM

Dick or no dick?

by Anonymousreply 18March 26, 2018 2:16 PM

He has all the hallmarks of Pre-OP, R18.

by Anonymousreply 19March 26, 2018 2:47 PM

Someone be a dear and trolldar this thread?

Because I'd bet real money that all these posts praising Danica were written by the same person. Someone named Danica, probably.

by Anonymousreply 20March 26, 2018 9:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!