Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Under The Silver Lake, Starring Andrew Garfield

[quote]New feature from [italic]It Follows[/italic] director David Robert Mitchell. Riley Keough, Topher Grace, and Jimmi Simpson also star in the noirish thriller from A24.

[quote]In [italic]Under the Silver Lake,[/italic] Andrew Garfield plays a hapless guy named Sam, who falls helplessly in love with his alluring neighbor Sarah (Riley Keough). When Sarah mysteriously vanishes, Sam finds himself plunged into a mystery where every random thing seems to be a clue. Has Sam stumbled upon an incredibly elaborate conspiracy cooked up by the world’s privileged elite? Or is he just going out of his mind? (ScreenRant)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 7, 2020 4:38 AM

Looks terrible. Youtube conspiracy vidoes are put together better than that.

by Anonymousreply 1March 21, 2018 3:52 PM

Why'd they stick girls in a movie with Andrew Garfield and Topher Grace?

by Anonymousreply 2March 21, 2018 3:55 PM

r1 I thought that was the point; to parody conspiracy theories?

r2 Heh, exactly. Also, I would very much like to see this classic noir set-up of a guy falling for a girl and the girl going missing upended just once, and have the girl be the lead. Wouldn't that be nice to see for a change?

by Anonymousreply 3March 21, 2018 4:00 PM

[quote][R1] I thought that was the point; to parody conspiracy theories?

No, they want to sell it to an audience that hasn't watched them

by Anonymousreply 4March 21, 2018 4:01 PM

[quote]Wouldn't that be nice to see for a change?

No. No girls would be nice to see for a change.

by Anonymousreply 5March 21, 2018 4:02 PM

I watched this trailer for Jimmi Simpson and now I'm so disappointed. Pass.

by Anonymousreply 6March 21, 2018 4:03 PM

r4 Really? Are you part of their marketing team? Or perhaps the director himself?

by Anonymousreply 7March 21, 2018 4:08 PM

Sorry, completely forgot to include the release date, which is 22 June in the US.

by Anonymousreply 8March 21, 2018 6:09 PM

I was going to post a reply, but then I watched the trailer and have decided not to bother.

by Anonymousreply 9March 21, 2018 6:20 PM

If it has Andrew nude I’m sold but I’m sure it will be no Ingrid Goes west.

by Anonymousreply 10March 21, 2018 6:21 PM

You know I had no idea this was pushed to December? Apparently the filmmaker is going to re-edit it after mixed reception at Cannes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 2, 2018 7:15 PM

Does Andrew do his now patented trademark shriek when he learns that putatively "alluring" Riley Keough mysteriouly disappears?

by Anonymousreply 12July 2, 2018 7:17 PM

I'm sure the movie is crap but just had to say that Elvis' granddaughter is really cute.

by Anonymousreply 13July 3, 2018 2:02 AM

Holy crap it’s finally being released.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 16, 2019 10:03 PM

It's a shame the script sucks because Andrew gives a really good performance. And Dat Ass.

by Anonymousreply 15April 16, 2019 10:17 PM

Yes, it's finally being released in select theatres April 19 and on streaming (MUBI?) April 22.

This A- review by the AV Club is a bit of an outlier; other reviews are more lukewarm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 16, 2019 10:38 PM

The best thing he was in was The Red Riding trilogy.

Never Let Me Go is very good, but he was the weakest one in it.

He looks like the singer in Elastica

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 16, 2019 10:45 PM

I'm sure no one else has seen this since it's only playing in about 3 theaters across the country but good lord what a steaming pile of shit. Two thirds of the way through the movie there is actually a closeup shot of a dirty, shit-filled toilet. That should have been the movie poster.

by Anonymousreply 18April 24, 2019 8:55 AM

Why does it suck, R18; tell us!

by Anonymousreply 19April 24, 2019 9:08 AM

This isn't my review but I agree with pretty much all of it. It was too long to paste the whole thing but I'll link the imdb page:

[quote]Just like Mulholland Drive. Except really, really, really awful - Bertaut 26 March 2019

[quote]Under the Silver Lake is a pretentious, self-indulgent, convoluted, overlong mess. Positioning itself as equal parts neo-noir and genre subversion, it is essentially a cross between David Lynch's Mulholland Dr. (2001) and Thomas Pynchon's Inherent Vice (2009). With the major difference being that it's absolutely, unrelentingly terrible. As with Mitchell's previous films, Silver Lake works as both an example and a subversion of genre - it's a mystery noir à la Kiss Me Deadly (1955), The Long Goodbye (1973), and Chinatown (1974), but is also at pains to undermine and critique many of the generic markers found in such films. A 140-minute labyrinthine, paranoia-laden shaggy-dog story full of MacGuffins, false leads, narrative dead ends, and unexplained details, the film relocates the detective stories of Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammett to the chaotic postmodern era of cognitive semiotics where the relationship between signifier and signified is now so arbitrary that meaning-making itself has become a protean commodity. However, it is easily the most self-important piece of garbage I've seen in a long time; a philosophically juvenile rumination thoroughly convinced of its own portentousness. Fundamentally misogynistic, it's at least 45 minutes too long, with an unfocused narrative, poorly thought-out metaphors, and an insipid protagonist. The cinematography is pretty though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 24, 2019 9:22 AM

What is a "shaggy dog story"?

by Anonymousreply 21April 24, 2019 10:22 AM

Sorry it's gonna suck. 15 years ago, Andrew and Topher could have played Sutherland and Malone.

by Anonymousreply 22April 24, 2019 10:56 AM

Thanks, R20/R18! Sounds pretty bad :(

That is very disappointing as—in addition to “noirs”—I also like Los Angeles set stories...

by Anonymousreply 23April 24, 2019 1:21 PM

^I’m, R19

by Anonymousreply 24April 24, 2019 1:22 PM

That's a pretty damning review right there, r20. "Pretentious, self-indulgent, convoluted, overlong" is everything I hate about a movie.

The critics seem to be more divided on it, though very good reviews like the one at r16 are rare.

by Anonymousreply 25April 24, 2019 1:37 PM

it's the new Southland Tales. Never give too much creative control to Young directors who had a fluke with their debut movie. NEVER.

by Anonymousreply 26April 24, 2019 2:08 PM

I think studios think that with every “young director with a first film that’s a hit” they might be looking at the next Tarantino...

by Anonymousreply 27April 24, 2019 3:30 PM

I absolutely agree with R20. Saw it last year at the Egyptian. To say the plot takes the scenic route is a massive understatement and it is kind of gross the way the film treats women. Think season 1 GOT.

The sad thing is that if someone in power had put the director on a leash, it could've been something. Andrew Garfield is really good in the role, and has no problem showing off his cute ass several times.

by Anonymousreply 28April 24, 2019 9:06 PM

You can't say you're "critiquing the male gaze" when every woman in the film takes her top off the second they meet him and most of them don't have names.

by Anonymousreply 29April 25, 2019 2:10 AM

LOL it is on Prime now, it makes absolutely no sense but the scene where Andrew beats up the children is fucking hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 30October 11, 2019 12:57 PM

Also never trust a neonoir where the main character has posters of other film noir in his apartment. “Ooooh I’m so meta!” Fail.

by Anonymousreply 31October 11, 2019 12:59 PM

Apparently even gay guys want to get hold of Elvis' granddaughter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 11, 2019 1:03 PM

I wonder if I was r22.

by Anonymousreply 33October 11, 2019 1:06 PM

I just watched this. Honestly, I’m gonna watch it a second time because there was so much going on, almost two films, one layered atop the other — like the mario magazine and the map transparency, that I feel like I missed a lot of visual information while tagging along with the plot.

by Anonymousreply 34May 7, 2020 4:31 AM

R34 what plot?

by Anonymousreply 35May 7, 2020 4:35 AM

R35, a guy mourning the loss of his job, girlfriend and self-worth falls down a paranoid rabbit hole while searching for something to give meaning to his life.

by Anonymousreply 36May 7, 2020 4:38 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!