Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Oral-B is discontinuing my favorite floss!!

Oral B Deep Clean Ultra Floss is the best floss EVER MADE! It's a bunch of separate threads together that get thin when you pull them (to fit between your teeth) and then expand to brush between your teeth. Nothing else works this great. Waxed floss just glides over the teeth--I hate it.

And now Deep Clean Ultra Floss is going away!! It just needed to rebrand it; the name was too long and non-catchy.

There are some remaining quantities on Ebay, but they've shot up to $20 each!

by Anonymousreply 52March 4, 2019 4:31 AM

-2 / 10

by Anonymousreply 1March 18, 2018 2:52 AM

I feel your pain.

Now can you send me the bits of food detritus you floss out of your mouth?

Thank you so much.

by Anonymousreply 2March 18, 2018 3:11 AM

I prefer the soft yarn-like gloss.

by Anonymousreply 3March 18, 2018 3:16 AM

R3, what brand is that?

by Anonymousreply 4March 18, 2018 3:19 AM

I thought it was Oral B that sells the yarn stuff? Does a great job of catching stuff, without harshly digging into the gums.

by Anonymousreply 5March 18, 2018 3:21 AM

Radius makes a similar product. Look for the Mint Soft Floss.

by Anonymousreply 6March 18, 2018 3:23 AM

I like the type that got rebranded to listerine

by Anonymousreply 7March 18, 2018 3:26 AM

Don't we have an "underwhelmed" thread for this?

by Anonymousreply 8March 18, 2018 3:31 AM

OP, you want to look for something called woven floss

by Anonymousreply 9March 18, 2018 3:45 AM

Do you rent or own, OP?

by Anonymousreply 10March 18, 2018 4:15 AM

He owns his house, but rents his dental floss.

by Anonymousreply 11March 18, 2018 4:25 AM

This happened to Neosporin daily lip therapy... it was 3.99 now that it has been discontinued, someone is selling one for $50.

The sad thing is I considered buying it because t does last a long time.

Best thing they ever made for lips but now it’s gone.

by Anonymousreply 12March 18, 2018 5:14 AM

R12, Wal-Mart has that lip therapy for $3.24

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13March 18, 2018 3:57 PM

Jebus!!!

by Anonymousreply 14March 27, 2018 2:25 AM

Not a problem, OP. There is no evidence that flossing works to provide any health benefits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 27, 2018 2:28 AM

R15, my proof is anecdotal. My dad has been a dedicated, consistent flosser his entire life since his late teens, and now at 72 has healthy gums and a full set of teeth with no fillings. Make of it what you will.

by Anonymousreply 16March 27, 2018 2:38 AM

I didn't start flossing until my late 20's. I was amazed at how much food gets stuck between our teeth.

now, I don't feel clean until I floss

by Anonymousreply 17March 27, 2018 2:41 AM

I share your disappointment. I have been using this for years. My teeth are close together and it's the only floss I could find that wouldn't shred and break during flossing. I've got a couple left and then it's back to trial and error until I can find a replacement.

by Anonymousreply 18March 27, 2018 2:41 AM

Thank you DLers for pointing me towards Radius and Listerine gentle gum care floss.

I knew DL would have answer!!

by Anonymousreply 19March 27, 2018 2:43 AM

I once went to a wedding of two dentists. Many of their friends are dentists. After the meal, the bathroom was packed with people flossing.

by Anonymousreply 20March 27, 2018 2:44 AM

Get out, R20, really?! That's hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 21March 27, 2018 2:46 AM

I repurpose the pubes constantly caught between my teeth.

by Anonymousreply 22March 27, 2018 2:52 AM

This is horrible.

What is OP going to put in him quite deeply?

by Anonymousreply 23March 27, 2018 2:54 AM

To show everyone on DL my gratitude, I offer my holes for your use.

by Anonymousreply 24March 27, 2018 3:03 AM

OMG, OP! I'm crying as I type this! My heart goes out....

by Anonymousreply 25March 27, 2018 3:04 AM

March Floss Our Lives. #NeverAgain

by Anonymousreply 26March 27, 2018 3:09 AM

Get a waterpik

by Anonymousreply 27March 27, 2018 3:09 AM

#MAFA

by Anonymousreply 28March 27, 2018 3:11 AM

Just a tip for anybody facing a dilemma like the OP's: the minute you figure out some product you use is being discontinued, get your ass to Big Lots, Dollar Tree, Grocery Outlet, whatever stores you have of that nature, and start looking for it there. Those kinds of places are where discontinued stuff ends up, and you can buy up whatever you find for far less than you used to pay for it. I use a particular kind of Reach toothbrush that got discontinued over a year ago; Big Lots still has tons for a buck each - I've stocked up with enough for years.

by Anonymousreply 29March 27, 2018 5:41 AM

Listerine UltraClean is the BEST I've ever used. I have crowns on the bottom and veneers on top so I've tried every floss out there. Give it a test run, OP, and you'll never use anything else.

by Anonymousreply 30March 27, 2018 5:48 AM

Dammit! I ran to look at what kind I had a case of, $20 per floss singing in my head. BUT ...... it is GUM expanding floss, so no cha-ching.

I just knew it was great floss, slides in like regular floss, expands when moist to something almost like yarn. Try it, I bought it for my kids who use it with a floss threader due to braces, as it does not shred.

by Anonymousreply 31March 27, 2018 5:55 AM

I’ve been told by my dentist to start using interdental brushes but damn do they hurt. I’ve brushed with the little pick (loaded with paste) just it two nights running and my gums bled all over the damn place.

Whatever she says about it I get the feeling it isn’t the best idea. I find flossing hurts and it’s a pain in the ass too. I think I need to look into that Waterpik dealio...

by Anonymousreply 32February 24, 2019 1:23 PM

Why is dental floss so expensive, it can't cost that much to manufacture? I get the Oral-B kind that Costco. I buy a couple packs of the at a time when they go on sale and it seems like a lot of money for what you get.

by Anonymousreply 33February 24, 2019 1:42 PM

Best floss EVER MADE?? Such a drama queen. Somehow you'll survive, precious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34February 24, 2019 2:04 PM

r32 Interdental brushes are [italic]way[/italic] more crucial than flossing alone; flossing merely removes the bigger pieces of food left behind so the toothpaste and the mouthwash can remove the plaque properly. The thing you bled out was inflamed tissue and a new, healthier one will grow back. Wait until your gums heal fully and then observe then "once in and out" rule when using an interdental brush. Don't overdo it as your gums will start receding. Also, make sure your brushes are the correct size for your interdental paces and aren't too hard; use different sizes for different interdental places if necessary. It really is one of the best investments in your oral health, along with an (amin)fluoride mouthwash.

By the way, I developed a compulsive disorder where I got addicted to the serotonin released due to pain felt during interdental cleaning, so I started getting more and more vicious with the cleaning, right down to the nerve endings. My dentist clocked it immediately and told me to cut the shit and get softer brushes or I'm going to have trouble down the line. Thankfully, I listened to him. I only got those hard brushes in the first place because they were so cheap. It serves to shill out more now and then.

by Anonymousreply 35February 24, 2019 2:36 PM

*I meant mouthwash covers and protects the entire surface of the tooth, not removes the plaque. Which isn't really its function, especially with those mouthwashes that don't contain alcohol.

by Anonymousreply 36February 24, 2019 2:39 PM

Those SCUMBAGS!

by Anonymousreply 37February 24, 2019 2:45 PM

Dr. Tung's is great

by Anonymousreply 38February 26, 2019 2:27 AM

How I picture r35

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39February 26, 2019 3:38 AM

For those who don't floss regularly, Floss (do it properly! Up and down under the gumline- then SMELL the floss. I guarantee you'll floss more often.

I've also have had arguments with friends that you have to use advance the floss as you work your way around, so it's new floss every time, instead of using the same spot on the floss every time- you're just reintroducing bacteria into other places. It's the same for those interdental brushes, no ? I argue with my mother on this- she insists on re-using the brushes.

by Anonymousreply 40February 26, 2019 4:33 AM

Estee Lauder used to make a miracle product called "Close Shave Cream for Men" in a squeeze tube. It was one of the best things I'd ever paid for. Of course they changed the formula turning it into a foam, then stopped making even that!

I know your pain, OP!

by Anonymousreply 41February 26, 2019 4:47 AM

Get a waterpik

by Anonymousreply 42February 26, 2019 4:57 AM

R40 what do dentists say about using interdental brushes more than once? I am supposed to use them but I’m very conscious about plastic waste so I don’t like the idea of single-use disposable ones. Floss ditto. I would just get a Waterpik but idk about efficacy of those compared.

by Anonymousreply 43February 26, 2019 9:56 AM

I'm a cheapskate who also insists on using the interdental picks and brushes more than once. Something I've noticed is that you lose a few brush filaments and a bit of the rubber with every use (including the first). I vigorously rinse my mouth at least twice after every use in an attempt to minimize the likelihood that those tiny foreign bodies will eventually wreak havoc on my GI system.

by Anonymousreply 44February 26, 2019 2:02 PM

R43, for you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45February 26, 2019 2:26 PM

you used to be able to find oral b's on craigslist but not anymore

by Anonymousreply 46February 26, 2019 2:47 PM

Craigslist???

by Anonymousreply 47February 26, 2019 6:27 PM

The CDC says there's no proof flossing is beneficial.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48February 26, 2019 6:29 PM

R43/R44 I’m curious about the waste impact of brushes. I hate throwing away plastic let alone swallowing that shit. Anyone know of eco-friendly ways to clean in between the teeth?

by Anonymousreply 49March 3, 2019 2:52 PM

I find it hard to believe that flossing isn't beneficial. My gums don't bleed when I floss, they used to when I would do it sporadically.

I can't stand the thought and feeling of food between my teeth.

by Anonymousreply 50March 3, 2019 3:02 PM

Thoughts and prayers, OP.

by Anonymousreply 51March 3, 2019 3:08 PM

Curious how removing rotting food particles that are stuck between teeth isn't proven to be beneficial. However, my dentist agrees with the CDC and pushes water picks on all her patients. I have found flossing to be fadter and it removes about the same amount of gunk as the water does, so I am still doing it the old-fashioned way.

by Anonymousreply 52March 4, 2019 4:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!