Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hundreds of Missouri teens may have married their rapists

[bold]Ughh[/bold] I'm going to be sick.

Missouri, were deplorable parents take their children to get married.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50March 21, 2018 12:24 PM

[quote] "[italic]Missouri is a destination wedding spot — for 15-year-old brides[/italic]"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 12, 2018 3:11 PM

[quote] "[italic]She’s 15 and married: ‘What’s the point of making her wait?’ mom says[/italic]"

I hope these parents die a painful death. Deplorables don't even pretend anymore, their culture is a culture of debauchery and moral decay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2March 12, 2018 3:19 PM

Fake headline. The cases are teens who want to get married, asking and receiving their parents' approval.

by Anonymousreply 3March 12, 2018 3:23 PM

White trash problems.

by Anonymousreply 4March 12, 2018 3:31 PM

Are they knocked up? By their boyfriends?

by Anonymousreply 5March 12, 2018 3:47 PM

It's the Christian way of doing things.

by Anonymousreply 6March 12, 2018 4:12 PM

R3:

"From 1999 to 2015, more than 1,000 15-year-olds married in Missouri. Of those, The Star’s review of data shows, more than 300 married men age 21 or older, with some in their 30s, 40s and 50s. Assuming they had premarital sex, those grooms would be considered rapists."

by Anonymousreply 7March 12, 2018 6:54 PM

All the cases mentioned are 15-year-old girls.

Were any 15-year-old boys married off under this law?

by Anonymousreply 8March 12, 2018 6:54 PM

That area between Alabama and Missouri must be the pedo capital of the US.

by Anonymousreply 9March 12, 2018 7:41 PM

Maybe, but it's definitely a religious-conservative hub. Which means no sex education in the schools, birth control and abortion are hard to come by, it's poor, the schools suck, and everyone is expected to get married and live the kuche-kirche-kinder lifestyle.

And if a girl gets pregnant out of wedlock, she can expect her family to abandon her and her baby. That's what's really going on here with these teenage shotgun weddings, the parents are giving her to the guy who knocked her up consensually or not, and saying she's his problem from now on.

by Anonymousreply 10March 12, 2018 7:49 PM

It's not rape-rape.

by Anonymousreply 11March 12, 2018 8:34 PM

When I worked with special needs kids in Kansas, one family sent their special needs 15yo daughter to Missouri to get married to a 30-something guy. They were so fucking creepy. Many of our kids were from families where everyone was pretty dim -- not "retarded" necessarily, but everyone had an IQ of roughly 70-75, could usually hold a job, but didn't quite understand basic concepts, had trouble driving because of not fully grasping road rules and regulations, etc. Her family was like that.

In retrospect I realize her family (and the few others we had) were the Deplorable base. Seriously. They're the people who are sending their girls to Missouri to get married.

by Anonymousreply 12March 12, 2018 8:49 PM

I should also note that the local paper wrote a whole story about my student, where they clearly took advantage of her being special needs and just turned the whole piece into gossip about her health, mental status, sex life, etc. It was fucking VILE. Clearly the paper just wanted to gossip; very few in town actually CARED that this mentally disabled girl basically was being sold off as a sex slave to a creep twice her age.

But yeah, those of you who don't live in the Midwest or amongst Deplorables? You have no idea what it's like. Absolute trash, and they cannot be reasoned with or made to behave. Little unruly toddlers, the lot of them.

by Anonymousreply 13March 12, 2018 8:53 PM

My god R13. what a grim and sad future . I can't believe these are the people holding the rest of the country hostage. How can we educate people that are so morally broken and possibly mentally unfit?

by Anonymousreply 14March 12, 2018 10:16 PM

Time to bomb America to bring them some freedom.

by Anonymousreply 15March 12, 2018 10:31 PM

Back in the dark ages when I was in HS, my friend's brother impregnated his 14 year old gf. The night before the gf's 15th birthday, she, her parents and her bf jumped into the car and drove down to Maryland where they were married the next day.

What a way to end your childhood.

by Anonymousreply 16March 12, 2018 10:33 PM

[quote] How can we educate people that are so morally broken and possibly mentally unfit?

We can't.

The only thing we can do is hope African Americans rise up and demand an end to the electoral college because it was based on slavery. White people cant get rid of it. .

by Anonymousreply 17March 12, 2018 10:36 PM

You can't, R14.

That's why I quit teaching, honestly. Any attempt we made to try to improve bad situations was thwarted either by the state BoE or ignorant parents or, in one case, a probation officer who liked strutting around a junior high school with his gun out and grabbing his crotch every so often.

I look back on it and wonder why I didn't realize we were completely fucked as a nation before. The things these parents did to their kids, and the complicity of other adults around them... astonishing.

I felt so badly for this one stepfather who had a kid who would lie about pretty much everything. He would very literally say "I don't have a pencil!" when he was visibly holding a pencil, things like that. At 12, he was sexually harassing girls in class, and calling kids "retards" and "f*ggots" etc. The stepfather and mother had tried everything and nothing worked. "What happens when he's an adult? When he can drive and vote? What then?" is what he said to us.

Whelp, he becomes a Deplorable. And he is, according to Facebook.

by Anonymousreply 18March 12, 2018 10:43 PM

15 year olds can get married in Hawaii, Kansas and, as R16 said, Maryland.

by Anonymousreply 19March 12, 2018 10:55 PM

What’s with the cryptic red writing that’s appearing on random threads on DL?

by Anonymousreply 20March 12, 2018 11:15 PM

It's the Deep State, R20

by Anonymousreply 21March 12, 2018 11:21 PM

R17 study history more. The electoral college was founded so we do not have political dynasties like the way the Clintons, Bushes, and Obamas would love to have, and so states with the largest population do not solely decide who becomes elected President.

by Anonymousreply 22March 13, 2018 6:26 PM

There are actually several states where a person can marry underage with parental permission, including a handful where there’s no age restriction at all.

America y’all got some cleaning up in your own backyard to do before you invade other countries for freedom (i.e resources).

by Anonymousreply 23March 13, 2018 8:20 PM

Okay, R23, which states have no age restrictions on marriage?

Florida?

by Anonymousreply 24March 13, 2018 8:37 PM

These are the same people who complained about Call Me By Your Name

by Anonymousreply 25March 13, 2018 8:44 PM

It would be nice of the Star and OP were more honest about what they're talking about. It's not about rape, it's about girls getting pregnant through sex with their boyfriends or guys they know, and their parents do what unfortunately has been done for millennia -- you make them get married. It's a stupid and harmful practice, but it's not "Hey, this guy jumped out of the bushes and raped my little girl, let's git them hitched." That's what the headline implies.

by Anonymousreply 26March 13, 2018 8:51 PM

R24 Check our the wiki article on child marriage in the United States.

by Anonymousreply 27March 13, 2018 9:21 PM

So much for the shining city upon this hill.

by Anonymousreply 28March 13, 2018 9:24 PM

WTF how is r26 a troll? I was thinking the same thing!

by Anonymousreply 29March 13, 2018 9:25 PM

R24, Florida's minimum age for marriage is 17. As R27 said, you can find the info on Wikipedia. Surprisingly, California and Massachusetts have no age restrictions for marriage.

by Anonymousreply 30March 13, 2018 10:26 PM

Dumb law - a twentysomething guy can't have sex with a teen girl.....unless he marries her, then it's okay!

by Anonymousreply 31March 14, 2018 3:29 AM

Yeah, the overriding concern there seems not to be about their 15-year-old getting knocked up, just her getting knocked up before marriage.

by Anonymousreply 32March 14, 2018 4:26 AM

What's interesting in TN they want child marriages with some brides (legally all children but let's get real--it's mostly girls) as young as 10-13 being married if gay adults are allowed to get married, but wouldn't that also mean a 40 year old man could get married to a 13 year old boy if his parents said yes? They're basically making their biggest fear come true because they want to marry 13 year old girls.

by Anonymousreply 33March 14, 2018 4:30 AM

^ That's it, I'm moving to Tennessee!

by Anonymousreply 34March 14, 2018 1:53 PM

R23 and yet in other countries we want to invade or have invaded, we have girls who are 8-12 marrying much older wealthy men because Mohammad did this.

by Anonymousreply 35March 14, 2018 5:47 PM

The electoral college was founded in order to give slave holding states a falsely high population by counting slaves as 3/5ths of a human, even though they couldn't vote. The sooner that shit is gone, the better.

by Anonymousreply 36March 14, 2018 5:51 PM

87% of minors who are married are female. Only 13% are male.

by Anonymousreply 37March 14, 2018 6:39 PM

And I guarantee you 99% of those 13% are getting married to other minors, not 21+ year old women.

by Anonymousreply 38March 14, 2018 6:41 PM

The minimum legal age of marriage in Afghanistan and Iraq is 16 and 18 respectively r35. Try again.

by Anonymousreply 39March 14, 2018 9:52 PM

Republicans frequently oppose bills outlawing child marriage because they want to prevent "out of wedlock" pregnancies (even though people who marry very young usually get divorced, anyway)

by Anonymousreply 40March 15, 2018 1:22 AM

Nice revisionist history R36.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41March 15, 2018 8:07 PM

R39, so? That does not mean that child marriages and child sex abuse do not happen in those countries.

They have been going on in the Islamic world for centuries, and are still going on today.

by Anonymousreply 42March 15, 2018 8:08 PM

grrrr

by Anonymousreply 43March 16, 2018 12:07 AM

[quote]They have been going on in the Islamic world for centuries, and are still going on today.

Unlike the Christian world, where child abuse is only happening NOW, because of immigrant n̶o̶n̶-̶w̶h̶i̶t̶e̶s̶ Muslims!

by Anonymousreply 44March 16, 2018 12:25 AM

Shane Stracener of Kennett, Mo., was 15 in 2014 when he married his girlfriend, Christy, who was 17 and pregnant. The couple now have 2-year-old Isaac Lee (left) and 3-year-old Faith Renee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45March 20, 2018 12:45 AM

In front of him, ready for sentencing, Keith Strawn - a father, 6-foot-3 with black-framed glasses the color of his boyish haircut - stood sad and penitent.

Strawn thought he had been doing right by his 15-year-old daughter, Heather, only to realize too late what a massive mistake he had made bringing her to Missouri - the easiest place in America for a 15-year-old to wed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46March 20, 2018 12:46 AM

Good grief people, the Bible is a book of folklore and has some good lessons in it but get ahold of yourselves.

by Anonymousreply 47March 20, 2018 12:50 AM

Has the "guess which race" troll been reached for comment? Oh, wait a minute - never mind.

by Anonymousreply 48March 20, 2018 12:57 AM

I hate that troll

by Anonymousreply 49March 20, 2018 4:25 PM

Article about the teens marrying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50March 21, 2018 12:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!