Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Talk to me about Ted Turner

In his prime, was his level of fame as high as, say, Steve Jobs? Is he as kooky as his reputation suggests?

by Anonymousreply 16September 30, 2018 2:56 AM

Yeah, kind of. He wasn't as iconic as Steve Jobs, if only because he didn't have the idea to wear the same thing every day and make it his signature look ; the moustache was as far as that went. CNN was a brilliant idea before everything turned into infotainment, and of course DL's beloved TCM is a force for good in the world. His attempt to colorize black-and-white movies was unfortunate.

by Anonymousreply 1March 4, 2018 12:23 AM

Jane Fonda really shafted poot Ted.

In her 2005 memoirs, "My Life So far," Jane Fonda acknowledged engaging in threesomes with her first husband, French movie director Roger Vadim, in the early 1970s. But a soon-to-be-published book claims the 68-year-old Oscar-winning actress was similarly occupied 20 years later- in the early '90s, with her third husband, media mogul Ted Turner.

And this time, the book says, it was on videotape. "Prisoner of X," Allan MacDonell's account of his experiences as an editor at Hustler magazine, describes a purported video in which Fonda, Turner and an unidentified brunette have sex on camera. MacDonell's description is too graphic for a family newspaper. Suffice it to say that the purported Fonda is allegedly wearing artificial equipment to pleasure the alleged Turner while he services the brunette and asks the camera operator, "Are you getting this?

" (The racy content was corroborated yesterday by two former Hustler colleagues who say they screened the tape, former editor Mike McPadden and another ex-editor who asked for anonymity.) Yesterday, Fonda flack Pat Kingsley told me her client was hyping her book in Australia and was hard to reach. The 67-year-old Turner, who divorced Fonda in 2001 after a decade of marriage, was also traveling and "unavailable for comment," said his spokesman, Phillip Evans. Hustler publisher Larry Flynt - who, MacDonell writes, unsuccessfully tried to buy the video in 1994 - told me: "I really don't have any comment on the so-called Ted Turner videotape. Ted Turner and I have been friends for 30 years. I knew Ted before CNN.

" Flynt added that a Turner sex video, if it existed, wouldn't fascinate him that much anyway: "It's not like capturing a hypocritical congressman in the sack.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2March 4, 2018 12:31 AM

He's from Atlanta, so a more obvious grifter than Jobs.

by Anonymousreply 3March 4, 2018 12:33 AM

He's a buffalo meat eater.

by Anonymousreply 4March 4, 2018 12:36 AM

[quote]His attempt to colorize black-and-white movies was unfortunate.

Interesting! I didn't know about that.

[quote]Ted Turner was perhaps the most visible proponent of colorizing films throughout the 1980s. Turner International owned a gigantic library of old films, and Turner reasonably saw these old movies as a potential cash cow.

[quote]This position didn’t endear Turner to directors, though. In 1985, Turner announced that he was considering colorizing Citizen Kane. Orson Welles was in failing health by then, but just a few weeks before he died he asked a friend, “Don’t let Ted Turner deface my movie with his crayons.” Turner eventually opted not to touch Citizen Kane.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5March 4, 2018 1:02 AM

I have 4 friends who worked for him in the early days of CNN and all still think he walks on water. They've all gone on to other jobs since then, but each would tell you he was the most inspirational leader they ever saw in action - made you feel like you could achieve anything.

by Anonymousreply 6March 4, 2018 3:20 AM

I chatted with him for a while, about boat racing of all things, when he was at his peak. I was just some random person w. an interest in boat racing and he was, if this makes sense, completely engaged in the conversation and at the same time full of natural, magnetic charisma.

More than a few people have said Bill Clinton can come across the same way

by Anonymousreply 7March 4, 2018 8:39 AM

I remember when he was drunk on live TV after winning the America's Cup sailing race. Quite something to see. It may even be on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 8March 4, 2018 12:28 PM

He got fucked by Jane Fonda? Lucky man!

by Anonymousreply 9March 4, 2018 12:30 PM

R1, I'll always remember the phrase one contemporary critic used to describe what he thought colorization of movies looked like, a "dirty aquarium".

by Anonymousreply 10March 4, 2018 12:32 PM

Ted has announced that he has Lewy body dementia.

Business Insider:

CNN founder Ted Turner revealed he is suffering from Lewy body dementia, a neurodegenerative disease that alters his memory, mood, movement and behavior.

In an interview set to air on CBS on Sunday, Turner, 79, opened up about his struggle with the disease and said he has a hard time remembering its name.

"It's a mild case of what people have as Alzheimer's," Turner said in the interview. "It's similar to that. But not nearly as bad. Alzheimer's is fatal. Thank goodness I don't have that. But, I also have got... I can't remember the name of it."

Then Turner said: "Dementia. I can't remember what my disease is."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 30, 2018 12:54 AM

He and Jane were an ultimate power glamour couple. He never got over losing her. Interesting fact: he gave the UN a billion dollars to pay the US unpaid contributions. Later, after he sold CNN, he found himself much less rich and powerful. He was always flamboyant though. There is at least one good documentary out there about his life.

by Anonymousreply 12September 30, 2018 1:01 AM

Jane Fonda married him. She talks quite honestly about their dating and marriage in her first autobiography.

He'd asked her out a bunch of times over the years when she was in a long, rocky, 17-year marriage, and she said No. Then the day after her divorce or separation was on the news he called again, and she said to try her in 6 months or something. (She thought he was crazy.) But he called 6 months later on the day, and she hesitantly agreed to go out with him.

I think he proposed on the second date. That marriage lasted 10 years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 30, 2018 1:05 AM

In later years Jane Fonda said that she would go back with Ted Turner "in a blue minute", whatever that phrase means. Never heard of it before.

by Anonymousreply 14September 30, 2018 1:21 AM

He was pretty handsome.

by Anonymousreply 15September 30, 2018 2:24 AM

I also have a friend who was a long term employee of TBS dating back to the earliest days. Ted has been medicated for decades for depression and a multitude of other mental/emotional disorders. His mental problems come natural. His father was an abusive alcoholic who killed himself in the 60s. Many years ago he kept sleeping quarters at TBS and he would regularly get out of bed and be seen walking the halls in his jockey shorts in the middle of the night. He's crazy, but brilliant crazy.

by Anonymousreply 16September 30, 2018 2:56 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!