Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Does anyone believe that Trump will be president at the end of 2018, or 2019 at the very latest?

With the mess that he has created (domestic and foreign), assaults on women, his erratic behavior and under the table deals, there is no way he will stay in office for his full term. The press need to step up and do their job. The outrageous antics of Trump, the GOP, NRA, and Fox need to be called out and reported strongly. Where are the big headlines and investigative reporting? We have high school kids doing an excellent job of getting in the face of those who have their heads buried in the piles of money they receive from lobbyists. Regardless, Trump will be out of office and not need to gear up for 2020. He should save his money for his lawyers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172March 6, 2018 2:22 PM

Depends on how the midterm elections go. If the Democrats get a majority then Trump will be impeached.

by Anonymousreply 1February 27, 2018 6:06 PM

There were many predictions that he would be gone by the end of 2017, and here we are.

by Anonymousreply 2February 27, 2018 6:09 PM

He was never really here to begin with, OP. That stupid fuck has no idea how to be President. He grew bored with the job before he even started.

by Anonymousreply 3February 27, 2018 6:10 PM

He will serve out his entire first term. It does us no good to fantasize otherwise. Impeachment proceedings take years and don't necessarily result in removal from office. Focus on flipping the house in November and selecting the best candidate in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 4February 27, 2018 6:11 PM

There were similar threads being created at the beginning of last year, asking people whether they believe he would still be president by the end of 2017. And yet here he is, having his ass saved on a daily basis by Obama's and the world's economic growth.

He's here to stay. We should all just focus on the midterms for now.

by Anonymousreply 5February 27, 2018 6:18 PM

You’re right, R4 and fellow traveler R5, I feel so discouraged and it is better than I just give up ALL hope of impeachment and the legal necessity of actually holding a traitor like Trump accountable!

Further, I should definitely trust in a voting system that has currently been shown to have been hacked by Russians, give up “targeting” Trump and go for the midterms! All Americans should just give up, da?!

by Anonymousreply 6February 27, 2018 6:20 PM

This Pascuale guy was the one who ran the Facebook side of the last campaign and he and Jared were the ones working with Cambridge Analytics and the Mercers. Trump is doubling down.

by Anonymousreply 7February 27, 2018 6:25 PM

Still not one word of condemnation of Russian interference from the clown. Not one. If I were an alien from space and had to figure this out it wouldn't take me long. The fucker is compromised, being blackmailed, and Congress does nothing. This congress will go down in history as the most corrupt. That's saying a lot if you know anything about the various scandals over the years.

by Anonymousreply 8February 27, 2018 6:27 PM

r6 What else are we supposed to do? Screaming and bitching didn't get us anywhere during his first year as he's still there, isn't he?

Mueller is doing his job and no amount of handwringing will make his job either easier or make him work faster. Midterms and 2020 are all we've got. If neither of those succeeds, *then* we're fucked.

by Anonymousreply 9February 27, 2018 6:28 PM

He'll be reelected in 2020. Next stupid question, OP.

by Anonymousreply 10February 27, 2018 6:29 PM

What R4 said. If Trump goes, then Pence is President, which in many ways would be worse. While Pence can act the statesman and potentially be less embarrassing than Trump, he also KNOWS HOW TO GET STUFF DONE IN WASHINGTON. Best to let Trump languish in this role for another 3 sad years and get him out of there, Pence included.

by Anonymousreply 11February 27, 2018 6:39 PM

I kinda sorta hope he remains in office until January 2021.

Can you just imagine how fat, oily and haggard he will be by then?

by Anonymousreply 12February 27, 2018 6:43 PM

If the best they can find is that Russians bought Facebook ads, there is no impeachment. Let's see what Mueller finds. But I agree, better to focus on midterms and 2020

by Anonymousreply 13February 27, 2018 6:49 PM

he will be finished no later than the beginning of next year

by Anonymousreply 14February 27, 2018 6:52 PM

The only way he will be removed from office is for the Senate and House to go Democrat. As long as the GOP remains in control of both- he can nuke Korean, rape women, end SS and Medicare, you name it- they'll cover. The entire party is rotten to the core.

by Anonymousreply 15February 27, 2018 6:52 PM

R12, I'd rather he did his being "fat, oily and haggard" in prison.

by Anonymousreply 16February 27, 2018 7:01 PM

If Republicans retain control of congress then yes. There is no crime, literally NO CRIME, they won't accept as long as he's a Republican.

by Anonymousreply 17February 27, 2018 7:03 PM

[quote] He'll be reelected in 2020. Next stupid question, OP.

You are the only one 100% convinced he will be re-elected. You must know something none of us do.

by Anonymousreply 18February 27, 2018 7:03 PM

I used to think he’d be gone too R18. But, he’s be a two-term president.

by Anonymousreply 19February 27, 2018 7:12 PM

he won't be impeached. he will either be given the option to leave quietly or he will become too ill to be President.

by Anonymousreply 20February 27, 2018 7:13 PM

I like “he’s be” I’ll leave it.

by Anonymousreply 21February 27, 2018 7:13 PM

One well aimed bullet is all it takes. That could happen at any time.

by Anonymousreply 22February 27, 2018 7:14 PM

Like that's really going to solve anything, r22.

by Anonymousreply 23February 27, 2018 7:19 PM

Even if there was no collusion, Trump is clearly involved in serious financial crime (money laundering, tax evasion) and will be brought up on charges because of that. Whether that results in impeachment will depend on the midterms. And whether that results in his actual removal from office will probably depend on how close to the end of his term he is. Regardless, there is no way he is resigning--his ego is too big. Also, no matter how he leaves office (impeachment; an election loss) he will spend the rest of his life screaming about how the system is rigged, blaming Democrats, attacking the press, and attacking the next president. So even if he's out of office, he's going to be a cancer on our political system until the day he dies.

by Anonymousreply 24February 27, 2018 7:22 PM

For a while I was convinced that Trump wouldn't make it through his first term and while I still think it's possible he won't, I think we need to be focusing on November and then 2020. I still have my doubts that Trump will run again in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 25February 27, 2018 7:24 PM

/ignored R22, that sort of shit is unacceptable, and I say that as an inveterate Trump hater.

by Anonymousreply 26February 27, 2018 7:24 PM

R25, I think he already announced for 2020, today or yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 27February 27, 2018 7:25 PM

Where is a right wing conspiracy when you need one. If only a nut job like Lee Harvey Oswald would fixate on taking him out we’d all be a lot happier.

by Anonymousreply 28February 27, 2018 7:26 PM

[quote]President Donald Trump has hired Brad Parscale, the digital media director of his 2016 campaign, to run his re-election bid, the campaign announced on Tuesday.

Rick Wilson @TheRickWilson

So it's going to be a work release program?

by Anonymousreply 29February 27, 2018 7:28 PM

Republicans have done nothing to protect us from Russia meddling in our elections (and in fact WANT Russia to help them again) so I'm expecting dems to not make many advancements when it comes to getting seats.

by Anonymousreply 30February 27, 2018 7:31 PM

[quote]You are the only one 100% convinced he will be re-elected. You must know something none of us do.

That America is a stupid country that reelected George W. Bush TWICE? Yes, I do know something.

by Anonymousreply 31February 27, 2018 7:34 PM

even though it seems like death would be an answer, it isn't because there is always another one right behind him to take his place.

by Anonymousreply 32February 27, 2018 7:35 PM

President at the end of 2018? Not sure that's in my plans.

by Anonymousreply 33February 27, 2018 7:37 PM

Pence is also easily electable. He's a smooth talker and appears stable. He sailed through those debates and looks like Trump's victim. Democrats have no one to run. Trump could end up a two-term president, with a Pence presidency to follow a la Reagan-Bush. I'm not even joking.

by Anonymousreply 34February 27, 2018 7:37 PM

I don’t think Pence could win in the top spot. He just doesn’t have an star power or magnetism.

by Anonymousreply 35February 27, 2018 7:40 PM

I think Pence could get re-elected. He reminds me of a J Edgar Hoover type and the powers that be probably have the goods on him anyway.

by Anonymousreply 36February 27, 2018 7:45 PM

pence won't be President, but be careful of Ryan

by Anonymousreply 37February 27, 2018 7:48 PM

[quote]He'll be reelected in 2020. Next stupid question, OP.

People who say things like this are the same people who still think Trump is an artful dealmaker even after his disastrous first year when he had green lights all the way and still managed to epically fuck it up.

Trump will be around for a while. Get used to his tangerine visage and oily pink eyelids. Even if the Democrats promptly impeach him, which would probably happen, a few Republicans perhaps even putting the boot in, he still has to be convicted in the senate. Chances? Not good. Two thirds of the senate? I don't think so.

The biggest variable in the senate would be whether the Mueller investigation has got directly on Trump's rump, with its faint odor of fecal miasma. It seems headed that way, but will there be enough disclosed about Trump's wrongdoing by then to force enough Republicans to vote to convict? Timing here is everything.

Of course if they are able to get enough votes in the Senate it would be fucking glorious. Not only would Trump get what he 100% deserves (and then he gets prosecuted as a private citizen and dies in prison), but just for the sake of the country's history, it would be the first time in 230+ years that a that a sitting president was impeached AND convicted. What a time to live through!

by Anonymousreply 38February 27, 2018 8:20 PM

I keep thinking it's safer to have him president than Pence: having chaos is better than executing the agenda.

by Anonymousreply 39February 27, 2018 8:25 PM

R39. the Koch agenda is almost fully implemented as is.

by Anonymousreply 40February 27, 2018 8:31 PM

It will take big Dem takeovers in November - then we have to wait till January for them all to be sworn in. It will be hard to be that patient, but that's the best chance to get rid of him.

by Anonymousreply 41February 27, 2018 8:35 PM

I hope we don’t impeach. He, unlike anyone else, has galvanized the party. With him in office, Dems owning the House and Senate can focus on state and local government.

by Anonymousreply 42February 27, 2018 8:41 PM

I believe if liberals keep spouting "He's going to jail!" and other assorted fantasies instead of focusing on getting our own people off their asses and out to the polls, not only will he win, but we also won't take back congress or the Senate.

Call me a concern troll; I really don't care. It's true. This is the same kind of head-in-the-sand thinking that lead to the voter apathy that cost us 2016.

So stop fantasizing, and get out and fucming vote. And make sure every single Democrat you know is registered and has a ride to the polls on election day.

by Anonymousreply 43February 27, 2018 8:54 PM

7 more years! MAGA!

by Anonymousreply 44February 27, 2018 8:57 PM

There were also predictions as well as countless polls that he never had a chance of even becoming president. #gaslighting #flop

by Anonymousreply 45February 27, 2018 9:02 PM

I think the SOB benefits from our having had already two impeachment proceedings since 1974. There is an argument that we do not want to get rid of even the scummiest presidents too frequently because it weakens the office and impeachment becomes almost routine. I think that sense of caution, especially as we draw closer to the 2020 election, will prevail. Apologies to the Nixon family,

by Anonymousreply 46February 27, 2018 9:06 PM

Sure R26, let's all pretend we haven't thought about it. I don't mean doing it personally or threatening to do it, but that he's so hated that I pretty much expect it at any moment. It's not a far-fetched thought nor is it out of line with what's happening in our country, either. I personally believe he'll survive the complete term and give us all another Russian-hacked election. He's doing nothing to prevent it.

by Anonymousreply 47February 27, 2018 9:12 PM

I think Pence is political toast.

by Anonymousreply 48February 27, 2018 10:03 PM

R43, please please don't confuse these DL geniuses with reality. They already have data proving a massive victory in November. Also they will list all the reasons they are right. Then they'll bullet point all the data that proves they were right all along about everything.

They think they can erase trump by an act of their imagination. (Don't ask them to do anything other than hold forth from on high.)

by Anonymousreply 49February 27, 2018 10:08 PM

He’ll be President and may win re election. Inertia is a powerful thing. It’s rare to be a one term President this century even if you suck.

by Anonymousreply 50February 27, 2018 10:19 PM

I know life-long democrats who have switched parties, specifically after the SOTU. The democrats made fools of themselves. They will not win with Sour-Puss-Pelosi, Melting-Wax-Waters, and Crying-Schmucky-Schumer at the helm. Trump has and will continue to wipe the floor with them.

by Anonymousreply 51February 27, 2018 10:19 PM

Democrats who switched parties after the SOTU speech no way. Quick quote one line from that soggy mess without cheating. Obviously a Defective Russian bot posted that.

by Anonymousreply 52February 27, 2018 10:26 PM

This will not win.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53February 27, 2018 10:26 PM

The polls weren't wrong. Trump didn't win.

by Anonymousreply 54February 27, 2018 10:27 PM

Neither will this.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55February 27, 2018 10:31 PM

Well he's in the White House R54

by Anonymousreply 56February 27, 2018 10:31 PM

You all have no idea what impeachment means, it's an accusation that's all.

Trump will not only be around in 2018, he'll be reelected too.

No politician is going to vote to impeach someone when it's will set a precedent and be very likely to come back to bite themselves in the ass. And certainly no president is going to be removed by the Senate. It would change the office of president from an equal player to merely a "prime minister" type dependent on his party.

Never will happen.

by Anonymousreply 57February 27, 2018 10:43 PM

They voted to impeach Clinton and Nixon for a whole fuck lot less than we already know about Trump.

by Anonymousreply 58February 27, 2018 10:46 PM

I agree with R50. People are lazy too. They don’t want to be bothered learning about and voting for someone new. It’s a different world from the Carter and Bush senior-eras. But, I hope I’m wrong. If Sanders or Biden are the guys to get rid of Trump, I’m in. If that’s all Democrats have to offer.

by Anonymousreply 59February 27, 2018 10:48 PM

"They already have data proving a massive victory in November."

It's real easy to disprove your opponents' arguments if you make them up. No one has said anything like this.

"I know life-long democrats who have switched parties, specifically after the SOTU. The democrats made fools of themselves."

There is no evidence of this in the least. Keep fucking that chicken.

by Anonymousreply 60February 27, 2018 10:52 PM

There has to be evidence of what I know? I didn't say the nation has switched over, I said I (personally) know life-long democrats who have switched parties. Are you okay R59? Find your meds ASAP.

by Anonymousreply 61February 27, 2018 10:59 PM

Yep. You said you had personal experience of this on an anonymous message board. So your witness is worth shit.

And there has been no confirmatory evidence that anyone...ANYONE...has done this. And trolls posting pictures of Pelosi and Schumer and calling them schoolyard names is just confirmation that this bullshit is, in fact, the work of trolls.

So...fuck you.

by Anonymousreply 62February 27, 2018 11:03 PM

[quote]I know life-long democrats who have switched parties, specifically after the SOTU. The democrats made fools of themselves. They will not win with Sour-Puss-Pelosi, Melting-Wax-Waters, and Crying-Schmucky-Schumer at the helm. Trump has and will continue to wipe the floor with them.

ROFL.... I do so love our trolls.... They're just so damn stupid! I mean, nobody could possibly take this post seriously.

by Anonymousreply 63February 27, 2018 11:07 PM

[quote]Trump will not only be around in 2018, he'll be reelected too.

Not based on the data we have now. Sorry, but wishful thinking doesn't get you anywhere.

[quote]No politician is going to vote to impeach someone when it's will set a precedent

Oh, you mean like the House Republicans who voted to impeach Bill Clinton?

Get a grip.

by Anonymousreply 64February 27, 2018 11:09 PM

[quote]R43, please please don't confuse these DL geniuses with reality.

That wasn't "reality," dear. Would you like us to explain the difference to you? In small words?

[quote]They already have data proving a massive victory in November.

Not "proving," dear: indicating. Do try to keep up.

[quote]Also they will list all the reasons they are right. Then they'll bullet point all the data that proves they were right all along about everything.

And, oddly enough, you have no answer for those "reasons" or for that data. All you have is some rather pathetic trolling, like this example, and making shit up. Funny how that works....

[quote]They think they can erase trump by an act of their imagination. (Don't ask them to do anything other than hold forth from on high.)

Speaking of making shit up....

by Anonymousreply 65February 27, 2018 11:13 PM

[quote]Pence is also easily electable. He's a smooth talker and appears stable. He sailed through those debates and looks likeand looks like Trump's victim. Democrats have no one to run. Trump could end up a two-term president, with a Pence presidency to follow a la Reagan-Bush. I'm not even joking.

Oh, please. Get a fucking grip. Pence's record in Indiana sucks. Being in the VP slot is very different from running for President. Hell, he couldn't even get reelected in Indiana. And he's dumb as a post, if you look at his record.

Democrats have quite a few viable candidates and Trump's popularity is at historically low levels, with no sign of that changing and no sign that he's even capable of changing. We don't know who the Democratic candidate will be and we don't know what issues will be on voter's minds in a couple of years but concern-trolling that we're in for 12 more years of Republican Presidents is just stupid.

by Anonymousreply 66February 27, 2018 11:18 PM

[quote] I used to think he’d be gone too [R18]. But, he’s be a two-term president.

Again, what makes you say so? His approval ratings are historically low.

by Anonymousreply 67February 27, 2018 11:20 PM

I hope he’s gone, I want him gone. But, I just see him being re-elected. We’ll probably be at war.

by Anonymousreply 68February 27, 2018 11:22 PM

The consensus above is likely correct. As long as Republicans control Congress, Trump will not be impeached. As long as they hold over 1/3 in the Senate (and even the most wildly optimistic projections only give Democrats a slim majority there), he will not be convicted. As long as his health holds out, we're stuck with him until 2020.

In 2020, given the way things are going now, it wouldn't surprise me to find that Trump faces one or more primary contenders. If so, say goodbye to chances for a Republican president. And even if not, you still have to like Democratic chances, given Trump's unpopularity and inability to get things done and inability to not shove his foot in his mouth.

In 2016, it wasn't known how he would do as President, so people were able to project onto him whatever they wanted. Well, now it's known and only his base is happy. And since they only number 30% or so, that's not enough to reelect him.

by Anonymousreply 69February 27, 2018 11:23 PM

Thanks, R7. This is an important development. Ask yourself. They've already admitted that Russia is still "interfering. They admit that nothing has been done to stop interference and hacking since 2016. I seriously wonder what they intend to do. If the Dems win the House will they claim the election is a fraud? Or will they stop the Dems from winning? I have a sense of dread about November.

by Anonymousreply 70February 27, 2018 11:25 PM

The question is how big will his landslide be against Kamala Harris.

by Anonymousreply 71February 27, 2018 11:27 PM

Do any of you knucklehead remember someone named Bob Mueller that is going to take him down for not only collusion, but obstruction and Russian money laundering?

by Anonymousreply 72February 27, 2018 11:28 PM

R65 reminds me of Robbie Mook. The hubris. The smug certainty. Lots of data, rational power point logic.

Trump's stampeding herd is a force of nature. Human mass movements are irrational. The hubris of Obama blinded him to the coming storm. Hillary's smug certainty made her weak.

I'm an RFK guy. So I see a dangerous tide of Trumpism riding. It is essential that Dems win in 2018 and 2020. If not, USA has rough sledding ahead for decades. The irrational forces in play are more powerful than any law or any one man. It has already created a reality of its own.

Your college bullshit is foolish. The governing class is not the ruling class. And debate class isn't gonna help you win elections. But please nurse at the teat of your SAT score, it's fun to watch.

by Anonymousreply 73February 27, 2018 11:29 PM

[quote]The question is how big will his landslide be against Kamala Harris

The question is why are you such an obvious troll?

Oh, wait ... we don't really care. Never mind.

by Anonymousreply 74February 27, 2018 11:29 PM

If the Dems take the house, and gain in the Senate, then I believe once Mueller starts charging him, and once we see the full dimensions of the treason and betrayal, I believe public opinion will compel the Senate to act.I have no doubt the House will act to impeach. And let's say that maybe they do something ugly to make sure they keep the house. Maybe the Dems gain some seats but not enough to take over. I still believe the breadth and the depth of the corruption will force them to act. And who knows? Maybe Ryan will be forced to step down. He's dirty.

by Anonymousreply 75February 27, 2018 11:32 PM

If the House or the Senate flip in November Dems will intensify investigations into Trump's campaign - they will be able to subpoena whoever they want. And make no mistake, they will.

Of course, there would be a legislative gridlock, with T***p refusing to sign anything that originates from the Democrats and, at the same time, his legislative agendas dead in the water.

If we do well in November he will be between a rock and a hard place. I'm fine with that.

by Anonymousreply 76February 27, 2018 11:33 PM

Has "Mother" Pence has already picked out new drapes from an Indiana outlet mall?

by Anonymousreply 77February 27, 2018 11:36 PM

[quote]Trump's stampeding herd is a force of nature.

ROFL.... Dear heart, you've been trying to push this line for the past few days and nobody is buying it. Trump's "stampeding herd" is 30% or less of the electorate. Just give it up. No, Trump really isn't good at propaganda; no, he isn't a "talented performer;" no, he doesn't have any "amazing ability to work his base into a lather," or any of that other bullshit you were spewing on that other thread.

[quote]I'm an RFK guy.

No, you really aren't. You tried this on the other thread, too, and nobody bought it there, either. You're a troll, and quite likely not an American, given the occasional lapses in your language and your use of international characters.

[quote]So I see a dangerous tide of Trumpism riding.

I assume you mean "rising." See, here's the thing: you could try this line of shit in 2016 and maybe make it work. You can't try it in 2018. Trump isn't "rising," dear. Not at all, and no amount of bullshit on your part will make him "rise." Seriously, you're a really bad troll.

[quote]Your college bullshit is foolish.

LOL... Oh, you mean things like reality? Like Democrats winning 37 out of the last 41 state legislature races? Like Democratic voters more energized than Republican voters? Like Democratic candidates outraising their Republican counterparts? Like Congressional Republicans retiring in record numbers? Like Democrats leading Republicans in the generic ballot by double digits? Like Democratic candidates outperforming their prior numbers in race after race by double digits? Like over half of the Democratic off-cycle wins coming in red districts? That "college bullshit?"

[quote]But please nurse at the teat of your SAT score, it's fun to watch.

I love what your insults say about you. Do keep it up, as it's highly amusing, particularly watching you try to pretend that you're a Democrat. You do seem to have trouble making up your mind, though, since all of your posts extravagantly praise Trump and denigrate Democrats. Funny how that works.

by Anonymousreply 78February 27, 2018 11:38 PM

[quote]If the Dems take the house, and gain in the Senate, then I believe once Mueller starts charging him, and once we see the full dimensions of the treason and betrayal, I believe public opinion will compel the Senate to act.

The one thing that could make a difference is if the coming blue wave is actually a tidal wave (no, I'm not predicting that). If Democrats massively outperform their numbers, if they gain seats that nobody thought they could possibly win, if they retake the Senate and win an additional half dozen or more seats there, then I think you'll see Republicans abandoning Trump.

Right now, though, they can't afford to. If they abandon him, their base will crucify them. It's going to take that kind of tidal wave to shock them back to reality.

by Anonymousreply 79February 27, 2018 11:41 PM

[quote]Trump's stampeding herd is a force of nature.

ROTFLMAO

It is a herd, all right. Of mindless sheep.

by Anonymousreply 80February 27, 2018 11:41 PM

He really is a terrible troll, R80. You should have seen the shit he was spewing about how wonderful Trump is. Seriously hilarious in its total cluelessness.

by Anonymousreply 81February 27, 2018 11:45 PM

[quote]If Democrats massively outperform their numbers, if they gain seats that nobody thought they could possibly win, if they retake the Senate and win an additional half dozen or more seats there, then I think you'll see Republicans abandoning Trump.

I have to disagree, R79.

The way I see it, Republicans function as if they are in a war with Democrats. They're not in it for the country or the voters. They simply want to annihilate everything democratic or independent in this country.

As far as they are concerned T***p is on their side. They won't turn on him.

by Anonymousreply 82February 27, 2018 11:49 PM

He's going to be primaried in 2020 by either Rubio or Kasich.

The scumbag Kasich, who wanted to arm Ohio teachers and pushed to get his beloved concealed carry everywhere is now backpedaling as fast as his lying mouth will let him.

Mark my words, that orange fool will not be re-elected. He will lose in the primary.

by Anonymousreply 83February 28, 2018 12:47 AM

I reckon Trump is a fool, but he’s not as stupid as some of the GOP assholes believe. He’s got a kind of animal cunning about him. I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t end up underestimating him.

by Anonymousreply 84February 28, 2018 12:55 AM

That's already happened R84.

by Anonymousreply 85February 28, 2018 8:54 AM

The Russians haven’t gotten rid of Putin, have they? No. So how do you think we’re getting rid of Trump?

What really truly baffles me is that for such an ideological bunch, they sure rolled over for money with a quickness. For all party’s fetishization of the flag and hatred of immigrants and American nationalism, their leaders sure presented hole to the Russian bad guys, didn’t they?

by Anonymousreply 86February 28, 2018 9:37 AM

Kyle Griffin @kylegriffin1

DLCC says Democrat Phil Young has won the Connecticut special election for House District 120, ending Republicans’ more than 40-year control of the district.

This is the 39th seat to flip from red to blue since Trump’s inauguration.

by Anonymousreply 87February 28, 2018 11:41 AM

My prediction is 2019 will be a very bad year for Donald J. Trump. Very bad.

And if the Dems take the House and gain seats in the Senate, They don't even need a Mueller investigation to start the Impeachment process. He has done enough or not done enough, as POTUS, to justify impeachment.

by Anonymousreply 88February 28, 2018 12:03 PM

R88 Impeachment and removal from office are two different things. The deplorables will simply wear any possible impeachment as a badge of honour and it will only serve to energize them further.

by Anonymousreply 89February 28, 2018 12:35 PM

It doesn't matter, R89. There aren't enough of them anymore to sway an election.

by Anonymousreply 90February 28, 2018 1:14 PM

Sadly, I agree with R73 except it's not fun for me to watch, just depressing.

I think he'll finish his first term and most likely get re-elected. Perhaps during his second term, Meuller's investigation will finally cause actual (personal) ramifications.

by Anonymousreply 91February 28, 2018 1:16 PM

Well since I gave Trump zero chance of ever being elected in the first place, I don't feel qualified to voice an opinion. Apparently a good bet is to never underestimate the stupidity of the American people to make a bad choice.

by Anonymousreply 92February 28, 2018 1:16 PM

[quote]I think he'll finish his first term and most likely get re-elected.

I think he'll finish his first term and not get reelected. There is no "most likely" scenario here for his reelection, given his historically low unpopularity, his lack of accomplishments, and his inability to "pivot" to something more reasonable.

by Anonymousreply 93February 28, 2018 1:19 PM

As for R73, he's been trolling here for several days, with his tongue planted so far up Trump's ass that he might as well be surgically attached.

by Anonymousreply 94February 28, 2018 1:19 PM

Yes, he will be here through his first term, and probably be re-elected. If he hasn’t been impeached by now, it’s not going to happen. Welcome to the new normal. Mueller is dancing all around him, but not coming at him directly. And face it: the new culture is “ABAD” (anything but a Democrat). Conservatives do a better job of labeling liberals as negative, than liberals represent themselves as positive. (I’m a liberal Democrat, just calling it as I see it.)

The reason Hillary is not in the White House is because conservatives effectively led part of her own party to hate her.

by Anonymousreply 95February 28, 2018 1:29 PM

Those are some rather foolish remarks, r95. Why on earth would you think that such a historically unpopular president will "probably be re-elected?" And considering that Democrats have won 39 of the last 43 state legislature off-cycle election, more than half of which have been in red districts, considering that Democrats are 6 for 6 in 2018, all of which were in red districts, pretending that "the new culture is 'ABAD'," is kinda stupid.

by Anonymousreply 96February 28, 2018 1:33 PM

Why are we progressives fantasy driven. I don't think trump will be impeached and we need to stop hoping and face reality. We need to win back the house and Senate since that is the best way for us to regain power. We also need a strong white male candidate to go against trump, someone with middle age America appeal. There are moderate democrats whom are not swayed by identity politics and will vote for a progressive they are very familiar with. Look no further than the Reagan democrats, all they care about his lower taxes, their 401k basically economic and national defense. They are not really into social issues just like some independent voters. Joe Biden seem like the only viable candidate I know some of you do not like to hear that. I state this because I know some socially that was contemplating voting for trump and I know they did because economic issues was all they cared about.

by Anonymousreply 97February 28, 2018 1:35 PM

Well said 95.

by Anonymousreply 98February 28, 2018 1:37 PM

The Dems just flipped another seat in pro-Trump country (or what was pro-Trump country in 2016) so I think it's possible that they will be a majority in the House, maybe Senate.

Will they impeach? They don't generally want to, especially the Senate Dems, for reasons I've never fully understood. A lot of the higher-level Democrats (and I include Obama in this) tend to want to smooth things over and "go back to normal" as quickly as possible.

And in this case, I don't think Trump will resign if he's impeached. First, by the time impeachment proceedings would even start, it would be early 2019. Second, we've never convicted a president after he's been impeached before, so I would bet anything Republicans would insist he stay in office, hoping he would be impeached but not convicted, and therefore not removed.

by Anonymousreply 99February 28, 2018 1:41 PM

[96] What happens at the state level isn’t a crystal ball for the presidency. That same crystal ball predicted that a Trump presidency was laughable, and that Clinton would be a landslide.

Wake up. One week after the Florida school shooting, the stare assembly voted to KEEP protections in place for assault weapons. Those are the people, and all of their supporters, who will fight, lie, cheat and steal to make sure he stays on office. They have it locked up for now.

If you listen to CNN, MSNBC, etc, they get a new bit of information about the Mueller investigation and they are so quick to proclaim, “THIS is the thing that will bring Trump down!!!” And then, just 24 hours later it’s dropped off the news cycle and forgotten. I’m sick and tired of the dramatic and false hope for normalcy. It won’t happen.

No one is bringing him down. Bert & Bertha Redneck want him there instead of a liberal, and there are more of them than you think.

by Anonymousreply 100February 28, 2018 1:43 PM

[quote]Will they impeach? They don't generally want to, especially the Senate Dems, for reasons I've never fully understood.

Because they're afraid of weaponizing impeachment. There is no doubt that, with today's political landscape, the Republicans would try to remove whichever Democratic president comes after an impeached Trump.

by Anonymousreply 101February 28, 2018 1:45 PM

[quote]Call me a concern troll; I really don't care.

How unconcerned of you.

by Anonymousreply 102February 28, 2018 1:45 PM

[quote]He’ll be President and may win re election. Inertia is a powerful thing.

I agree with this, because I have been reading up on Nixon a lot and his landslide win for a second term. Watergate was already a known quantity and the Pentagon Papers had come out, yet Nixon carried 49 states.

Never underestimate the stupidity and fear of the American people. Millions in 2020 will literally be saying that "at least Trump is the devil that we know."

by Anonymousreply 103February 28, 2018 1:48 PM

[quote]I state this because I know some socially that was contemplating voting for trump and I know they did because economic issues was all they cared about.

Clinton won among voters who said that economic issues were their number one concern. Next?

by Anonymousreply 104February 28, 2018 1:49 PM

Sure, r101, but won't they be doing that anyway, regardless of whether Trump is impeached? They were itching to find something to impeach Obama with for eight years, remember.

by Anonymousreply 105February 28, 2018 1:49 PM

[quote]They were itching to find something to impeach Obama with for eight years, remember.

Yes, they would have loved to, but they didn't. They too are afraid of releasing the Kraken.

by Anonymousreply 106February 28, 2018 1:51 PM

R 104 I see you just pick and choose the statement you felt comfortable with. Not really true. There are some moderates who felt Hillary was too culturally focused and they like trump constant yapping about jobs and taxes and the fact that he was a "successful businessman". I could not believe those people will vote for trump since they are Democratic voters.

by Anonymousreply 107February 28, 2018 1:54 PM

[quote]There is no doubt that, with today's political landscape, the Republicans would try to remove whichever Democratic president comes after an impeached Trump.

If the Democrats establish the precedent of impeaching the president because they are bitter that they lost the last election, then the Republicans will do the same when the tables are turned. The GOP has benefited greatly from Senator Reid’s rules ploy to allow Obama to stack the judiciary. It will be better for the Democrats if they overcome their bitterness and let Hillary’s defeat go.

by Anonymousreply 108February 28, 2018 1:56 PM

[quote]What happens at the state level isn’t a crystal ball for the presidency.

Of course not but it does put to rest your genuinely stupid statement about "ABAD," which is not backed up by literally any current data.

[quote]That same crystal ball predicted that a Trump presidency was laughable, and that Clinton would be a landslide.

Oh, garbage. Nobody was seriously predicting a "landslide" for Clinton. The national polls showed a modest victory for Clinton, which is precisely what happened in the popular vote. You're comparing apples to oranges and ignoring reality.

[quote]Wake up.

I am awake, thanks. You're the one denying reality.

[quote]One week after the Florida school shooting, the stare assembly voted to KEEP protections in place for assault weapons.

*shrug* So? That has nothing to do with this conversation.

[quote]Those are the people, and all of their supporters, who will fight, lie, cheat and steal to make sure he stays on office. They have it locked up for now.

Bullshit. Trump is at historically low levels of popularity and there is no reason to believe that will change. All he has left is his rabid base and that's not enough to get him reelected.

[quote]If you listen to CNN, MSNBC, etc, they get a new bit of information about the Mueller investigation and they are so quick to proclaim, “THIS is the thing that will bring Trump down!!!”

Also bullshit, since nobody on CNN or MSNBC or anywhere else is saying that. If you do find someone saying that, you have my blessing to tell them how stupid they are being. But you can't; you're just making up shit right now.

[quote]No one is bringing him down. Bert & Bertha Redneck want him there instead of a liberal, and there are more of them than you think.

No, there really aren't. All he's got left is the roughly 35% rabid base. That isn't enough to win an election.

Look, I'm not going to pretend that it will be a cakewalk and that anyone with a (D) is automatically going to win. That would be just as stupid as your remarks. What I am saying is that Trump is horribly unpopular, historically so, that he has no significant accomplishments and no signs that he will be able to actually achieve anything, that we're entering an era of trillion-dollar deficits, that we're likely to see a stock market correction in the next couple of years, that the things that Congressional Republicans want to do, like gutting Medicaid and Medicare, are also horribly unpopular ... where is this thing that's going to propel Trump to victory?

by Anonymousreply 109February 28, 2018 1:56 PM

[quote]R 104 I see you just pick and choose the statement you felt comfortable with.

Not at all; I'm responding to total bullshit.

[quote]Not really true.

Yes, it is "really true." You can deny this all you want but the simple fact is that, according to the exit polling, Clinton won among those who said that the economy and jobs were their number one concern. Deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 110February 28, 2018 1:57 PM

[quote]It will be better for the Democrats if they overcome their bitterness and let Hillary’s defeat go.

Um ... there is no "bitterness," except from some partisans here and elsewhere. That's normal and it's fine. Congressional Democrats and Democratic candidates aren't running on "Hillary's defeat;" they're running on local issues and they're winning.

by Anonymousreply 111February 28, 2018 1:59 PM

[quote] The GOP has benefited greatly from Senator Reid’s rules ploy to allow Obama to stack the judiciary.

Yes, this is continuing to go on under our noses and it's really quite frightening. Time magazine:

This plan to change America for generations isn’t happening by chance. Trump’s team has created a streamlined process in the White House and Senate that maximizes the opportunity he’s been handed. They’ve razed congressional customs and carefully nurtured the relationship between the President and conservative legal scholars. In the process, McConnell, McGahn and a constellation of advisers have unclogged the judicial pipeline, pushing nominees onto the courts faster than ever before. The result, McConnell believes, could be Trump’s most consequential bequest. “The tax bill was hugely important, but as soon as the government changes, believe me, they’ll revisit the tax code,” McConnell tells TIME. “The impact that this Administration could have on the courts is the most long-lasting impact we could have.”

by Anonymousreply 112February 28, 2018 2:00 PM

[quote]I agree with this, because I have been reading up on Nixon a lot and his landslide win for a second term. Watergate was already a known quantity

Um, no, it really wasn't. That didn't really come out until after Nixon's reelection. Nobody knew the extent of the corruption.

[quote]Millions in 2020 will literally be saying that "at least Trump is the devil that we know."

No, they really won't. Sorry, but you have no basis for that remark.

by Anonymousreply 113February 28, 2018 2:00 PM

[quote]Congressional Democrats and Democratic candidates aren't running on "Hillary's defeat"

True r11 and I am amazed that anyone in 2018 thinks it is the Democrats that are obsessed with Hillary.

by Anonymousreply 114February 28, 2018 2:03 PM

R110. I am stating what I know from personal experience not based on msm machine of persuasion. I know it is hard for you to think some democrats bought into trump con.

by Anonymousreply 115February 28, 2018 2:05 PM

Here's reality as I see it:

- Trump is not going to be impeached as long as Republicans hold the House.

- If Democrats take the House, an impeachment is a possibility but Republicans will almost certainly block conviction in the Senate.

I think both of these statements are largely independent of what Mueller finds. If Mueller finds money-laundering and obstruction of justice, both of which are almost certainly to be true of Trump, Republicans aren't going to care. If Mueller does find the proverbial "smoking gun," even that may not be enough for the rabid Republican base and for Congressional Republicans. For better or worse, I think we're stuck with Trump until 2020.

Right now, the odds are good that Trump will not win reelection in 2020. His popularity levels are in the toilet and there is no sign that he is capable of lifting them. His one accomplishment, the tax bill, is not popular, and it's going to be even less so when we hit the projected trillion-dollar deficits. Trump's appearances are basically the 2016 campaign revisited, with the same lines, the same chants of "lock her up," the same appeal to the rabid base. Such appearances don't appeal to anyone else, nor is there any sign that Trump can "pivot" to bring back the independent voters.

That said, I'm not placing any bets myself. We don't know what will happen to the economy (if we get a large stock market correction and subsequent recession, I think Trump is toast but we don't know when that will happen); we don't know what will happen in international affairs; we don't know what will happen with terrorist incidents in the U.S.; and we don't know who the Democratic candidate will be. All of these prevent anyone from making any certain predictions.

by Anonymousreply 116February 28, 2018 2:07 PM

[quote]I am stating what I know from personal experience

A very sound reason to disregard virtually everything you say.

by Anonymousreply 117February 28, 2018 2:08 PM

[quote]R110. I am stating what I know from personal experience not based on msm machine of persuasion. I know it is hard for you to think some democrats bought into trump con.

Idiot, what I'm trying to get through to you is that your "personal experience" doesn't mean jack shit and that your "personal experience" does not match what the rest of the data show. Great, you have a few gullible friends that bought into the "Trump con." So the fuck what?

The fact remains that the majority of voters who stated that the economy and jobs were their number one concern voted for Clinton. Deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 118February 28, 2018 2:09 PM

118 why are you fucking defensive go use your valium idiot. This is why trump won and I can't stand him. Idiots like you who refuse acknowledge that some liberals were not as anti trump as you might think. Maybe now they might have had their trump regret moment but to pretend that some liberals where not seriously considering voting for trump is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 119February 28, 2018 2:16 PM

I love how some of our trolls are trying to have it both ways: "you can't look at the national polls because in 2016 the national polls showed Clinton winning, so you have to look at the states," followed by (when you point out that Democrats are killing it at the state level), "what happens at the state level isn’t a crystal ball for the presidency."

Please make up your mind, people.

by Anonymousreply 120February 28, 2018 2:17 PM

[quote]118 why are you fucking defensive go use your valium idiot.

LOL... Dear heart, the one being "defensive" is you. You said something stupid, you got called out on it, and you've been getting angrier and angrier.

[quote]This is why trump won and I can't stand him.

No, dear, it really isn't. My comments on an anonymous forum like this had nothing at all to do with Trump's victory. As with everything you've written on this thread, this, too, is false.

[quote]Idiots like you who refuse acknowledge that some liberals were not as anti trump as you might think.

Dear heart, I've never "refuse acknowledge" [sic] this, which is why you can't point to anything I've written that says anything like that.

[quote]Maybe now they might have had their trump regret moment but to pretend that some liberals where not seriously considering voting for trump is ridiculous.

Then it's a really good thing I never "pretended" anything like that, isn't it? Tell me, is reading comprehension always this much trouble for you? Do I need to use smaller words?

by Anonymousreply 121February 28, 2018 2:20 PM

Nothing is assured. Dems need to pick a very good ticket for the 2020 Presidential election. Someone that can carry the "center", has very little baggage, is personally likeable, debates/communicates well, and presents a clear message with a few new ideas that most of the electorate will comprehend and embrace.

For 2018, Dems will still be going up against massive money from the Kochs and other party patrons. Dems need to register as many new voters as possible, push turn-out like what happened recently in Alabama, and push a few new themes such as environmental protection, raising pay, improving education, campaign finance reform, fighting corruption, loss of respect abroad, and of course, banning (or enhanced control of) automatic assault weapons. Also, blame Republicans for stalemate, discourse, surrendering to Russian meddling, and the loss of dignity and honesty in government. Advocate for the protection of citizen rights and opportunities of all kinds, but don't get into identity politics pissing contests with Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 122February 28, 2018 2:54 PM

121 I am not angry you are the one that sounds angrier as I reply back to your dogmatic views. You need to calm the fuck down and chill. I find your tantrum laughable and sad. I am not going to go into russian collusion impeachment debate fantasy because it serves no purpose and I don't think Trump will be impeached. Yes idiots like you is why some non traditional right-wing voters voted for Trump.

by Anonymousreply 123February 28, 2018 3:17 PM

LOL.... Sure you're not angry, R123. Right. Clearly.... anyone can see that. Just as they can see my "tantrum" on this thread.

Tell me, is reading comprehension always this much trouble for you? Do I need to explain what "LOL" means?

[quote]You need to calm the fuck down and chill.

Whatever you say, dear. I'll be sure to give that advice exactly the attention it deserves....

[quote]I find your tantrum laughable and sad.

Personally, I find you just laughable, particularly as you seem to be engaging in some sort of fantasy conversation with someone who isn't me.

[quote]I am not going to go into russian collusion impeachment debate fantasy because it serves no purpose

That's a good thing because not a single one of my posts on this thread says anything at all about "russian collusion impeachment debate fantasy" [sic]. Tell me, is reading comprehension always this much trouble for you? Do you always just make shit up when talking to people? Do the voices in your head tell you what to say?

This conversation would be ever so much more productive if you actually read what I write and respond to that instead of responding to what that pink unicorn next to you says.

[quote]and I don't think Trump will be impeached.

Since I've also said that, repeatedly, I'm not sure what point you think you're making, dear.

[quote]Yes idiots like you is why some non traditional right-wing voters voted for Trump.

LOL... Right. My goodness but I don't even know my own power!

by Anonymousreply 124February 28, 2018 3:28 PM

Trump may still be in the White House at the end of 2018. Once the Democrats take back the House, impeachment proceedings will get started in January/February 2019.

by Anonymousreply 125February 28, 2018 3:38 PM

Trump will just declare martial law. A large faction of the military will stage a coup in his name, then all the redneck-white trash gun crazies will form militias and take to the streets in support of their hero. All the obvious fey gay types will be shot on site, maybe some of the rednecks will save a few for later, releasing them into the woods to be hunted down by packs of dogs. There will be summary executions, and arrests without trial. It will be like Argentina with the disappeared, any gays picked up by the authorities will be flown by helicopter over the ocean and then thrown while alive into the sea.

by Anonymousreply 126February 28, 2018 5:19 PM

Fever dreams are interesting, R126.

by Anonymousreply 127February 28, 2018 11:33 PM

Tonight on MSNBC there was an underlying theme. With the announced departure of Hope Hicks,, they were commenting on the turnover in this WH after only 13 months, started looking at who is left of the original cast. Only Kelly Ann & Steve Miller. And they were speculating that her days are probably numbered.

But the main point is that with Hicks leaving Trump is increasingly isolated and he trusts very few people outside his personal circle. Hicks has been a mainstay. She's been with Trump for a long time. Now she's gone and he was very dependent on her especially in a crisis, and he was constantly in crisis.

So Lewandowski is gone, Schiller the "security guy" is gone, Bannon is gone, Porter, Gates, Flynn, all people he relied on to varying degrees. Priebus is gone. Now some people are saying Kelly is pushing people out. And in some cases he probably is. But now it comes down to Jared & Ivanka. They really need to get the Hell out of the WH. But now that Trump is so isolated they will probably stay. my point is, if he is more and more isolated, and Mueller is squeezing him, maybe he will resign.

by Anonymousreply 128March 1, 2018 3:49 AM

Which one of his lackeys delivers his McD's slop? When he/she leaves, he's gonna go berzerk!

by Anonymousreply 129March 1, 2018 4:07 AM

[quote]>>I have been reading up on Nixon a lot and his landslide win for a second term. Watergate was already a known quantity

[quote]Um, no, it really wasn't. That didn't really come out until after Nixon's reelection. Nobody knew the extent of the corruption.

It was already a known quantity. The media had been reporting on it since May, six months before the election, and the money trail was reported on several weeks before the election. Note that I did not say the public knew how bad the corruption was; I merely said it had been reported in the news, which it had. You also cut off the rest of what I said because the only way you could "win" this argument was to selectively quote and then deliberately misinterpret what I wrote.

You're the troll who writes multiple 1000-word replies on threads like these, acting like a know-it-all and constantly saying "uhm, no" or "whatever, dear" in an effort to sound tough. You're not. You just pester liberal allies and coddle right-wing trolls.

by Anonymousreply 130March 5, 2018 1:22 PM

The Dear Heart troll is a tiresome fool. Smug, weak, stupid. Still thinks Hillary won.

by Anonymousreply 131March 5, 2018 1:45 PM

Certain facts were known before the election in 1972. But at that time there was very little public interest, and there were certain times when the Washington Post was rather isolated in terms of the coverage. No other media outlets were giving it too much attention . We could say the same abut Trump only in Trump's case it's even more damning. Because everything the media is reporting on now, much of it was known or readily accessible in 2016. but we, the consumers of news, were literally brainwashed in the Pavlovian sense that there was actually a visceral reaction to the word "E-mails!" media darlinigs, like Rudy Giuliani kept the focus on Hillary. And Paul Manafort tore a page out of his Ukraine play book with all that "Lock her up!" Chanting. There was no spontaneity about it. Those were calculated strategies on the part of the GOP.

The other thing about the Nixon/Watergate scandal is that the media that were covering it, were laboring under the assumption that it was confined to the Nixon campaign staff, aptly name CREEP (Committee to Re-elect the President.) The media had no idea before the 1972 election, that the Watergate burglary was more than a dirty trick. When they began uncovering more dirty tricks they dismissed it as dirty politics and typical of campaign shenanigans. There was also a powerful contingent who agreed that "they both do it."

The fact that there was a unit working inside the White House called "the plumbers" or that this group had broken into the office of Daniel Elsberg's psychiatrist, or that Nixon had an "enemies list" and was using the IRS and the US Intel community to spy on Americans for purely political reasons because they disagreed with the President, was not known to the American people.

We did not know that Maurice Stans the Finance Director for CREEP was literally a bag man collecting dirty money, in sums of cash, millions of dollars, and distributing a portion of it to cover the expenses of some of the clandestine services operatives, actual CIA sub-contractors, who were part of Nixon's "plumbers." We had no idea before the election that the entire web of corruption that included, but was not limited to the Watergate burglary, was directed from INSIDE the White House by Haldeman, Erlichmann, Colson, and most importantly, Nixon himself.

When the news coverage first started in 1972, and they were reporting on it, the worst thing they thought they might find is that Jeb Magruder and a few others broke the law. Campaign dirty tricks that went too far and resulted in a burglary. As they uncovered more evidence, they had a hard time believing Mitchell, our former Attorney General, might be aware of it. To believe our chief law enforcement officer would engage in something so small time strained credulity. Until it didn't.

by Anonymousreply 132March 5, 2018 2:01 PM

"I don’t think Pence could win in the top spot. He just doesn’t have an star power or magnetism."

R35 must not be old enough to remember Jimmy Carter when he ran in 1976. Ditto George HW Bush in 88.

After this tariff thing - if it goes through - I can see the Republicans finally hiring professionals to take Trump out. Trump would become their martyr which keeps the base, and Pence becomes their puppet saint. A win-win.

by Anonymousreply 133March 5, 2018 2:12 PM

He’ll last, and in fact he’ll be re-elected in 2020. If the Democrats win the majority in 2018, of course, they’ll be backlash again them in 2020. This, with cheating, the voting machine “malfunctions”, the gerrymandering, the Voter ID requirements, the harassment of minorities at the polls, the waiting lines, and Putin’s assistance will insure this.

by Anonymousreply 134March 5, 2018 2:19 PM

R132 here. I just wanted to say in the case of Trump, that we knew, from his own son's admission, that money was pouring in to their businesses because of Russia, as early as 2007. We knew Trump university was a scam and a fraud. We knew he was being accused of sexual assault by 19 women, plus the Access Hollywood mess. All Trump's shady business deals were known or accessible because of court filings and real estate filings. There was SO much on the public record. So. much.

We say now that "well, no one took his candidacy seriously, so we didn't bother to follow up. " But that is a transparent cop out. Just from the vantage point of sheer profitability, when Trump announced in 2015, and he began to get wall to wall coverage, (estimated at more than $3 Billion worth of free coverage) there was no balance to it. None. And there should have been. Because Trump was so profitable to the media, they could have covered him any way they wanted to get ratings, and they chose to cover him the way they did with no vetting at all. Even as the landscape changed and the probability of his winning the nomination increased.

When he brought Manafort in, the media knew who Manafort was, yet characterized him as "an experienced GOP campaign operative." But there were plenty of credible sources who really knew Manafort's game. It was certainly known he had business interests with Russians, and managed the Putin takeover political in the Ukraine. After the platform of the GOP was altered to favor Ukraine in a marked change in U.S> policy, beyond a few cursory questions & comments it was not pursued.

But Rudy Giuliani was keeping the media focus in Hillary, peddling the rumor that "Any minute" she'd be indicted for the e-mails and "other crimes..." Until the media comes out and accepts responsibility for their role in the election 2016 we will never truly get past this. And beware of the recent attempts to normalize Trump to find him amusing, to talk about his isolation framed in a way to gain him sympathy. He's a monster, and we are being confronted with a very dangerous conspiracy to overthrow our democracy. Don't dismiss my hyperbole as the paranoid ravings of an aging hippie. All the things we worried might happen in the 1970's is actually happening right now.

by Anonymousreply 135March 5, 2018 2:25 PM

Trump envies dictators who do whatever they want. He wants to imprison Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, but the Department of Justice does not cooperate.

by Anonymousreply 136March 5, 2018 2:36 PM

[quote]There were also predictions as well as countless polls that he never had a chance of even becoming president. #gaslighting #flop

It was a freak occurrence. Even the Trump people thought it wasn't going to happen, which is why they behaved as badly as they did, not thinking it would be closely scrutinized. Freak occurrences do happen, but they are, um, freak occurrences. You don't throw probability and statistics out the window because of freak occurrences.

by Anonymousreply 137March 5, 2018 2:36 PM

The polls weren't wrong. Trump didn't win.

by Anonymousreply 138March 5, 2018 3:00 PM

He admitted last week he wants to be a totalitarian dictator ("President for Life"). This situation is appalling. In the ancient world, 'leaders' like Trump declared themselves Gods, and ordered everyone to worship them. I cannot believe people aren't taking to the streets over Trump and his dirty GOP cronies.

by Anonymousreply 139March 5, 2018 3:17 PM

I think the stock market is signaling a recession in the next 8 to 10 months. He won’t survive that.

by Anonymousreply 140March 5, 2018 3:25 PM

I have to laugh out loud every time I see someone saying "Well even Trump and his people didn't expect to win." That's pure bullshit. Yes there were people around Trump who were saying that. Maybe some of the Trump people didn't believe it would happen, but the people close to Trump, I mean really close to Trump were serious. They were definitely expecting it to happen. They were pulling out all the stops. They were conspiring with a foreign government who was an enemy of the USA. They were hooking up with Wiki Leaks, they were working with the Alt Right, they were working with Cambridge Analytica, there is evidence Russia absolutely was hacking into voting machines and voting rolls state by state. And this was going on weeks and months before election day. This was a very carefully laid out plan that took five years to strategize. Russia was going to do it, and they hand picked Donald J. Trump to work with them. And if anyone needs any more "clues" the fact that Trump announced the appointment of Paul Manafort should have been a MAJOR CLUE. There was no more direct tie to the Russians than Manafort, and no more direct signal, than the change in the GOP platform about the Ukraine. That signaled a major shift in U.S> foreign policy.

by Anonymousreply 141March 5, 2018 3:31 PM

Want to add that anyone with any political experience in running or working on a major campaign, ought to know, and the media absolutely should have known, that you do not run and win the nomination, and eventually the Presidency simply on the strength of your outsized personality. You do not win a national election or an exhaustive series of primaries with the motley crew of fuck ups and C Listers Trump assembled. They had to have help. Did anyone really believe Corey Lewandowski was winning all those primaries for Trump all by himself? Please.

by Anonymousreply 142March 5, 2018 3:35 PM

[quote]It was already a known quantity.

No, it really wasn't, as the rest of your own post demonstrates.

[quote]You also cut off the rest of what I said because the only way you could "win" this argument was to selectively quote and then deliberately misinterpret what I wrote.

Nope, I was simply commenting on a rather stupid assertion. The rest of your post wasn't worth even that, since you don't have any data to back up your concern trolling.

I'm also not commenting on the rest of your post, since it, too, was rather stupid. Make of that what you will.

by Anonymousreply 143March 5, 2018 3:37 PM

People aren't taking to the streets because their lives are still essentially the same as they were pre-Trump. It will take massive economic upheaval to get people to care.

by Anonymousreply 144March 5, 2018 3:42 PM

Poster 124"will definitely have a stroke out if Trump survives his first term. We might see this poster revisit this site with a nervous breakdown.

by Anonymousreply 145March 5, 2018 4:09 PM

[quote]I have to laugh out loud every time I see someone saying "Well even Trump and his people didn't expect to win." That's pure bullshit.

Errr....

[quote]Now-President Trump, Vice President Mike Pence, Donald Trump Jr., campaign manager Kellyanne Conway and first lady Melania Trump were all reportedly left dumbfounded and afraid on the night of the election in 2016, the book claims. Shortly after 8 on election night, it became clear that Trump had a real shot of becoming president. Wolff wrote that Don Jr. said his father “looked as if he had seen a ghost. Melania was in tears—and not of joy.” Steve Bannon, who helped run the Trump campaign and helped Trump’s team through the transition, said he saw Trump morph from “a disbelieving Trump and then into a horrified Trump.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146March 5, 2018 4:20 PM

[quote]Poster 124"will definitely have a stroke out

Look at Boris's first attempt! So cute. "Poster 124" and "have a stroke out."

LOL!

by Anonymousreply 147March 5, 2018 4:22 PM

R146, you always need people like Pence, Kelly Ann and Melania to be shocked and stunned, and completely unaware. You never take them into your confidence, especially in terms of the intricacies of a political campaign and its many layers. Campaigns are compartmentalized. Kelly Ann knew about certain things. She may have know there was "Russia money" backoing Trump, but hey, he's a businessman and he knows a lot of rich Russians.

Steve Bannon knew certain things. But it's unlikely he or Kelly Ann, for example, and certainly NEVER Pence or Melania would have known the extent of Russian involvement. Bannon was probably giving himself credit along with the Mercers, and Cambridge Analytica, for the polls tightening, and frankly that makes for great theatre to show the polls tightening in certain states. I'd imagine Bannon, et al, and the Russians were working on separate, parallel tracks, possibly unknown to one another, with Jared keeping an eye on the Data operations to make sure they finally intersected on election day.

So yeah, they'd be shocked. But there is also, whether you expected to win or not, the moment when you realize that you really did pull it off. You are the fucking President. As improbable as it seems. Now people can interpret it any way they like. But Trump knew, he conspired with the Russians, and if maybe four or five other people very close to him, including people like Roger Stone, Paul Manafort, Jared and Donnie Jr. knew that, was the extent of it. Did you think he would tell his wife who he has a rocky relationship with, or Pence of all people? Or Kelly Ann who was the GOP establishment up to this point? No. A campaign is a huge operation, and 99% of the people in it have no idea of what's going on except in their own universe. To think Pence might know is ridiculous, not even Jefferson Sessions truly understood what was going on. He is just a fucking racist who hated Hillary.

by Anonymousreply 148March 5, 2018 4:45 PM

Will also say that getting Russian money and spreading it around so that the NRA, the RNC and various members of Congress were benefitting, made a lot of people turn a blind eye to "dirty" money. Oh, and Michael Cohen knew. He probably knows more than anyone else connected to Trump. And as his personal attorney he is protected under the law.

by Anonymousreply 149March 5, 2018 4:48 PM

Well if all that's true, r148, I certainly hope Mueller's investigation uncovers it all. Sessions was at that Mayflower hotel meeting and had meetings w Russians that he lied about, so I find it hard to believe he's not involved.

by Anonymousreply 150March 5, 2018 5:03 PM

ha ha. he's GOING to win again in 2020. get used to it, biatchezzzz

by Anonymousreply 151March 5, 2018 5:05 PM

He will die on his golden toilet, trying to poop out two weeks' worth of cheeseburgers. It can't happen soon enough!!!

by Anonymousreply 152March 5, 2018 5:21 PM

He looks like a befuddled, fat hamster with mange.

by Anonymousreply 153March 5, 2018 5:22 PM

He thought he was going to lose.

by Anonymousreply 154March 5, 2018 7:03 PM

I can not believe that Trump will make it to election day.

by Anonymousreply 155March 5, 2018 7:11 PM

I don't see Trump lasting another 3 yrs. He's a train wreck. No one can stand the levels of stress he has. All self-induced. I'm a basket case just from watching the news. Mueller's investigation may be around for a few years, but the Trump portion will wrap in another year. I pray.

by Anonymousreply 156March 5, 2018 8:58 PM

Sadly, I think the biggest obstacle our Dear Leader will have is surviving a campaign for reelection.

Unless he's secretly the grim reaper, I can't imagine his body making it through the grueling ordeal that is a national campaign. He's already the oldest person to assume the presidency; is he able to do it again but at age 74?

Of course, I suspect there is plenty of shocking and legitimate reasons to remove him from office even before he gets the chance. But rules and norms don't seem to apply to Trump.

by Anonymousreply 157March 5, 2018 9:06 PM

Hunny, I don't know whether he will make it or not, but I want to interrupt this program to tell you my Sherrod Brown is on with Chris Hayes as we speak, and Sherrod has got a lovely blueish grey rinse in his hair and it is coiffed. Yes. He has lovely waves and curls and a kind of poofiness that can only be achieved by professionals using product. Why is this important, you may ask? Because I can think of no clearer sign that Sherrod is going to run for higher office on the NATIONAL scene than to see him present in this fashion.

by Anonymousreply 158March 6, 2018 12:36 AM

Assuming his health holds up I think he'll serve out the term. However, if the midterms are a total disaster, and he can somehow get it through his thick skull that it's a rejection of him, he will find a way to back out of 2020 so as to save face.

He will not quit, and I doubt he'd be impeached unless polls in R senators' states strongly favor it.

by Anonymousreply 159March 6, 2018 1:07 AM

The market went up again today. We all need to do what we can to keep Trump in office. It's important for our retirement.

by Anonymousreply 160March 6, 2018 1:10 AM

[quote] R2: There were many predictions that he would be gone by the end of 2017, and here we are.

R2 writes like Trump talks. “People are saying...” The above statement means absolutely nothing.

There were many comments saying so.

by Anonymousreply 161March 6, 2018 1:17 AM

R160, it will dip when Trump’s tossed from office, then recover quickly if Pence is clean and stays.

by Anonymousreply 162March 6, 2018 1:19 AM

* Anyone that believed the Special Prosecutor would have concluded the case by 12/2017 is simply ignorant. If you are going to indict a President like Grifter (with his extensive past as a lawless American) there must be evidence piled high and deep. 1 year 9 mos minimum. Further it will be far more than just Cheeto- so far it is 4 Americans and 13 Russians.

Now we learn that there is another Memo that relays upper Kremlin Foreign affairs had requested Trump appoint Secretary of State friendly to Putin. TREASON.

It will be Jared for selling Foreign Policy for $$. It will be Jared for private communications and promises with Hostile Foreign Powers.

Donald Jr for lying. Maybe the NRA for receiving Russian money to bribe US politicians.

This will take time - lots of time, lots and lots of time with lots and lots of evidence. Trump is not escaping any of this. And if Mueller misses any of the Top 3: 1) Conspiracy Against the US for Trump knowing about Emails BEFORE they were released 2) Obstruction of Justice. 3) Financials

Dems only have to flip the House for Trump to fall. Maybe Nov 18 will be the end if we are lucky.

by Anonymousreply 163March 6, 2018 1:34 AM

Trump is the Market Whisperer. No one is going to do as well as him. Ditto with consumer confidence. People can put aside their complaints for another seven years or so.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164March 6, 2018 1:34 AM

R164, your posts are just the most insipid kind of ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165March 6, 2018 1:59 AM

Aww, my link doesn't work. It says "Bullllll Shiiiiit!" btw.

by Anonymousreply 166March 6, 2018 2:08 AM

Trump's Sad Final Days will play out with him eating buckets of fried chicken while under house arrest in Trump Tower. He'll be surrounded with stacks of old magazines to distribute to anyone who enters, and be watching his "winning" debates and "historic" inauguration on a loop.

by Anonymousreply 167March 6, 2018 5:24 AM

He'll refuse to leave the White House and hide in a giant bucket of chicken and when the swat team bust in he'll jump up in the bucket, nude, greased, arms spread and shriek, "Surprise!!!!!"

by Anonymousreply 168March 6, 2018 5:31 AM

What burns me is that no matter how he ends, whether he is booted out of the WH or he loses in 2020, in his mind he will be the best, most loved, most popular POTUS in history, with the biggest crowd on Inauguration day. He will never face the reality of the damage he caused. He will never face the fact that millions of Americans see him for what he is, a total fraud.

None of this will ever penetrate his mind. He will promote his own "greatness" till his dying breath.

So, I'm afraid we'll never get the satisfaction of a humiliating defeat of DJT.

by Anonymousreply 169March 6, 2018 5:47 AM

I feel sorry for the secret service, imagine having to face the possibility of taking a bullet for that asshole.

by Anonymousreply 170March 6, 2018 12:02 PM

[quote]Poster 124"will definitely have a stroke out if Trump survives his first term. We might see this poster revisit this site with a nervous breakdown.

I love how our trolls just randomly make up shit since nothing that I wrote in R124 or in any other post on this or any other thread indicates that I think Trump won't "survive his first term." The poor guy just can't read. Maybe we should take up a collection for him?

by Anonymousreply 171March 6, 2018 2:20 PM

[quote]The market went up again today. We all need to do what we can to keep Trump in office. It's important for our retirement.

Since Trump hasn't done anything to affect the market, other than increase its volatility, I'm not sure why we should keep him in office. And considering that we're looking at upcoming trillion dollar deficits, there is even less reason to keep him in office and every reason to return to a sane economic policy again.

by Anonymousreply 172March 6, 2018 2:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!