Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Quebec to dump 46 million pounds of raw, untreated sewage into St. Lawrence River

Spokesperson Wendy Whittom said during that period, sewage will be dumped directly into the St. Lawrence, "although there is a grid in place which retains solids," she wrote in an e-mail to CBC. Thank god for that! No "solids."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40June 19, 2018 6:18 PM

Sorry, it should be litres not pounds.

by Anonymousreply 1February 25, 2018 9:16 PM

Mon Dieu! That is beaucoup stinky French POO-POOOOOOO!

by Anonymousreply 2February 25, 2018 9:20 PM

I hope Justin Trudeau (nee Castro) will be there in costume for another photo-op.

by Anonymousreply 3February 25, 2018 9:28 PM

Most likely because there are indigenous tribes still living there. They've done horrible things to them.

by Anonymousreply 4February 25, 2018 9:42 PM

Montreal is even worse than Quebec City; they dump billions of litres of sewage into various bodies of water.

by Anonymousreply 5February 25, 2018 9:58 PM

The dumping has finished.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6February 26, 2018 4:48 PM

It floats out to sea right? So other than a few Newfies who will be affected?

by Anonymousreply 7February 26, 2018 6:03 PM

This is at least the second time this has happened.

by Anonymousreply 8June 19, 2018 4:39 AM

Mike, go ahead with that bombing of Canada we talked about. OH and look how fat Rosie looks in this photo on TMZ.

by Anonymousreply 9June 19, 2018 4:44 AM

Don't they have sewage treatment in Canada?

by Anonymousreply 10June 19, 2018 4:45 AM

1,624,474 cubic feet

1.1 cubic miles of sewage

Way to go Philippe Couillard

by Anonymousreply 11June 19, 2018 4:51 AM

I thought you bleeding heart Canadian care for environment

by Anonymousreply 12June 19, 2018 4:58 AM

Damn, that’s a lot of shit.

Do you all remember in the late 1990s that barge with garbage from NYC that couldn't find an offshore site that it could use to dump its cargo? It travelled down the Carolinas and then back to the NY area?

The same year, syringes were turning up on beaches all over the northeast. Whether from the barge or not. It felt like the world was ending. Like in Soilent Green, when they casually mentioned that the Indian Ocean was a dead zone. That’s what it felt like.

by Anonymousreply 13June 19, 2018 5:04 AM

In the 1990s, I worked on the Boston Harbor Cleanup project.

Today, the Charles river is clean enough to swim in, without requiring a tetanus shot, most days; however, you’re told not to disturb the mud on the river bottom, because the mud is still too polluted. I wonder how long it will take before the mud is clean? Sometimes you’ll see dolphins or seals in the river. Not often, but at least they can live in that water.

by Anonymousreply 14June 19, 2018 5:08 AM

Basically our sewage disposal system hasn't advanced like AI or space travel or GPS and driverless cars.

by Anonymousreply 15June 19, 2018 6:37 AM

Poor wildlife.

by Anonymousreply 16June 19, 2018 6:47 AM

Boston water is now among the best in the nation. We have great fresh water. They recently replaced or built a second tunnel for most of the length from the reservoirs out in Western MA, to the Boston-area customers. If one tunnel needs maintenance, the other can be used to meet consumer needs. I just got my quartely report card and the drinking water tests to be far, far better for pollutants than is allowed by law.

The sewage system is 1990s state of the art. A few times a year, heavy rains will cause some sewage to be released into the river or harbor, but that gets diluted quickly. Otherwise, the treatment plant works well, and secondary waste water is released 10 miles off shore through a pipeline. That is heavily cleaned sewage water. It’s only one level short of sewage water that is clean enough to drink. I think they truck solids away to people who buy that crap for fill or for fertilizer.

Our water rates are high as a result, but you get used to it. It’s just that it costs whatever it costs, and I don’t know differently so no matter.

by Anonymousreply 17June 19, 2018 6:50 AM

The point about how no one should worry because "no solids" will get through is hilarious and disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 18June 19, 2018 6:52 AM

I have read recently that waste water is high in levels of pharmaceuticals, now. There’s little research on the effect of antidepressants; testosterone (steroids and low-T treatment); or estrogen (from the pill), etc., on aquatic life and in people who eat seafood that was exposed to these chemicals. This is a new problem for the future.

by Anonymousreply 19June 19, 2018 6:55 AM

[quote] There’s little research on the effect of antidepressants; testosterone (steroids and low-T treatment); or estrogen (from the pill), etc., on aquatic life and in people who eat seafood

Don't forget oxycodone

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 19, 2018 7:04 AM

They didn't need to make an announcement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 19, 2018 8:17 AM

Trust. This was aimed at the American fisher boats poaching in Canadian waters. Quebec is so tired of sending police boats out to catch and prosecute Americans violating the international UNCLOS agreement. They release this sewage in places that will eventually end up near the border. Filthy Americans attempt to take advantage of Canadian livelihoods by constantly sneaking into clean Canadian waters. Been going on for years. Now just wait for a government to have to subsidize our fishers. Last time this happened on a grand scale our American government produced a fake study, propoganda all over news channels claiming that fish oil cut your chances of cancer and all other benefits. It was fake but drove up the prices of fisheries so the government wouldn't have to apply big $ to subsidies. Remember the year of fish oil? How about shark cartilage? All fake. Best one was the year of green leafy vegetables cutting your chances to cancer. All fake. Farmers had a failed crop for a year or two so the government released this fake study. Drove the prices up so the gullible consumer took the burden off of the subsidies for the US government. When the studies were replicated the following years we heard that the original government study wasn't accurate in its findings. What were we to believe? Didn't matter as the government achieved their goals at the time of the crisis. Propaganda. Just wait for some sort of sea related cure to be pushed in the news by government studies within the next year. Watch for it. Predict it. What will it be this time? Something common in the NE Atlantic our fisher boats lose access to and can no longer poach off of the Canadians. This dump is retaliatory to Trump's latest tantrum. The Canadians do not play. Perfect timing. Ouch!

by Anonymousreply 22June 19, 2018 9:32 AM

Trump stop! Do not piss off these people who insist on keeping their culture for close to 500 years despite being surrounded by English Anglo culture on all sides. Holy fuck! They are NOT the ones.

by Anonymousreply 23June 19, 2018 9:37 AM

R7, no. We're the targets. It will flow to the NE of the US. Someone get this orange clown out. Parts of the St.Lawrence are sea water, brine and fresh water. They're dumping it so it will flow down to the US and our fishing industry. This is a spiteful retaliation to that Jackstain in office. OMG!

by Anonymousreply 24June 19, 2018 9:42 AM

What can Canada expect after electing weak man like Miss Justin Treadeu

by Anonymousreply 25June 19, 2018 9:44 AM

R4 you idiot! It has nothing to do with indigenous tribe as the white population is a percentage of that indigenous tribe. It's dumped where it will be coming to us in retaliation to Trump being a big dick at Charlevoix. Our waters will suffer. OMG!

by Anonymousreply 26June 19, 2018 9:45 AM

Some should give Xanax to R26 to calm her tits

by Anonymousreply 27June 19, 2018 9:48 AM

Yeah well, you've never lived there. I have. Best people ever but when crossed they will rain holy hell down on you. How do you think they exist like they do in North America in 2018 surrounded by English speakers? Roll that around in your noggin for a bit. Not like it's Mexico with Spanish speaking neighbors abounding, is it? Just got a horror movie chill.

by Anonymousreply 28June 19, 2018 9:59 AM

This has nothing to do with any Canada/U.S.A disagreement. This is the third occurrence, in less than 2 1/2 years, of the province of Quebec dumping raw sewage into the St. Lawrence River. The first incident was in Montreal in November 2015. The second time was in Quebec City, in November 2016. The third and last time, so far, was in Quebec City, in February 2018. The last two times were because Quebec City was doing maintenance work on the pumping stations. After the first occurrence, Canada's federal environment minister said that this would never happen again.

by Anonymousreply 29June 19, 2018 10:48 AM

Fuck you, R29!

by Anonymousreply 30June 19, 2018 11:03 AM

I cannot believe their are people actually blaming us for this.

Responsibility? Take it.

by Anonymousreply 31June 19, 2018 11:11 AM

Quebec has an outdated and inadequate sewage treatment system.

by Anonymousreply 32June 19, 2018 11:28 AM

The St Lawrence flow into the sea. It doesn't flow south to Lake Ontario.

by Anonymousreply 33June 19, 2018 11:51 AM

R31 there not their

by Anonymousreply 34June 19, 2018 12:12 PM

Oh well, I wasn’t using my natural resources anyway.

by Anonymousreply 35June 19, 2018 1:27 PM

Quebec has been doing this for years. It doesn't have anything to do with Turd Trump.

by Anonymousreply 36June 19, 2018 5:19 PM

Fun fact: the Chicago River’s flow was reversed. Now it flows into the Mississippi, but it used to flow into Lake Michigan.

by Anonymousreply 37June 19, 2018 5:26 PM

I blame Russian hackers.

by Anonymousreply 38June 19, 2018 5:54 PM

You should stop eating any fish caught in the North Atlantic waters for a while unless you like the test of Canadian shit.

by Anonymousreply 39June 19, 2018 6:16 PM

But it's untreated sewage.

by Anonymousreply 40June 19, 2018 6:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!