Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Nachos - settle a debate

My partner and I are having a disagreement about nachos. I say they are chips topped with melted cheese, meat, olives, sour cream, guacamole, and salsa. And I guess whatever else you want to throw on there.

My partner says nachos are ONLY topped with cheese, and that anything else is a "deconstructed taco." It's so stupid I almost want to break up with him.

by Anonymousreply 39February 25, 2018 12:07 PM

I agree with you, 0P.

by Anonymousreply 1February 24, 2018 11:59 PM

Deconstructed taco is stupid. This is what real tacos look like, they don't have the toppings you would find on nachos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2February 25, 2018 12:04 AM

They can be made either way. Most people today get them with the works, not just the cheese. Chili is another popular topping choice.

by Anonymousreply 3February 25, 2018 12:06 AM

Well, then ALL of Mexican Food (as found in American Mexican restaurants,that is) is 'deconstructed tacos'. It's all the same 5 ingredients, all the same shit.

by Anonymousreply 4February 25, 2018 12:07 AM

You can find plenty of real mexican food in America r4, you are specifically referring to tex-mex. Most cities with a significant mexican presence will have both Mexican places and tex-mex places.

by Anonymousreply 5February 25, 2018 12:09 AM

OLIVES ON NACHOS?? Gross. Do you mean jalapenos?

by Anonymousreply 6February 25, 2018 12:09 AM

Your partner could not be more wrong.

by Anonymousreply 7February 25, 2018 12:11 AM

You are right.

And yes, olives on nachos. Ask for "no olives" if you don't like them.

by Anonymousreply 8February 25, 2018 12:11 AM

I agree with you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 9February 25, 2018 12:16 AM

Soooo, we'd go out to dinner on Friday nights. While my partner ordered a "Surf and Turf" for his entree, I would order luscious, sinful Nachos as mine. Then he'd pick from my plate during our dinner. I wanted to stab his hand with my fork for doing so.

by Anonymousreply 10February 25, 2018 12:17 AM

Team OP

by Anonymousreply 11February 25, 2018 12:18 AM

OP, I agree with you as well

It's one of the best things in the world (though I use black olives instead of green ones...so good)

by Anonymousreply 12February 25, 2018 12:19 AM

He sounds positively dreadful. I hope he's at least rich...or hugely hung.

by Anonymousreply 13February 25, 2018 12:20 AM

Your partner is being kind of a dick. But arguing about something like this is really pretty dumb. Let it go and be satisfied with the knowledge that you are smarter and better than he is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14February 25, 2018 12:22 AM

Could you give a detailed description of your partner including penis size?

by Anonymousreply 15February 25, 2018 12:23 AM

Drop the excess baggage.

by Anonymousreply 16February 25, 2018 12:23 AM

OP, another possibility is that he’s trying to get you to pass on the jalapeños... just sayin.

by Anonymousreply 17February 25, 2018 12:23 AM

This too ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18February 25, 2018 12:24 AM

Would these qualify as nachos?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19February 25, 2018 12:24 AM

OP, your partner must have only ordered nachos at a fairground or old time movie theater something. And those were likely just stale chips with cheese whiz. I have no interest in nachos that do not have all works. Otherwise, what is the point? Corn chips are not all that exciting by themselves.

by Anonymousreply 20February 25, 2018 12:26 AM

Agree with R20. Some places serve chips with melted Velveeta and call them nachos.

by Anonymousreply 21February 25, 2018 12:29 AM

I grew up in a small town. In the early 1980s, we got a brand new mall. In that mall, one of the concession stands was selling nachos, corn chips with melted cheese. A few years later, I was in a large city and went to a restaurants that served loaded nachos, which had all the fixings that the OP describes.

The point is, in the pre-internet days, someone could be served just chips with melted cheese and not think twice when they were called nachos.

by Anonymousreply 22February 25, 2018 12:32 AM

[quote]The point is, in the pre-internet days, someone could be served just chips with melted cheese and not think twice when they were called nachos.

I would have thought twice. They needed salsa, guac, olives, and sour cream.

by Anonymousreply 23February 25, 2018 12:34 AM

The only Nacho we on DL care about

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24February 25, 2018 12:35 AM

At the movie theater, they give you a bag of chips and a cup of cheese.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25February 25, 2018 12:35 AM

What sad little "nachos" those are, R25.

by Anonymousreply 26February 25, 2018 12:38 AM

"It's so stupid I almost want to break up with him."

I think a nacho chip landed on your shoulder.

by Anonymousreply 27February 25, 2018 12:38 AM

I think you should see a marriage counselor. Your issues go deeper than food.

by Anonymousreply 28February 25, 2018 12:43 AM

He's right Nacho have only cheese on them. You have a taco salad.

by Anonymousreply 29February 25, 2018 12:46 AM

Taco salad is mostly lettuce.

by Anonymousreply 30February 25, 2018 12:49 AM

Exactly r30. r29 is as wrong as OP's partner. If there is not lettuce involved you don't have a taco salad.

by Anonymousreply 31February 25, 2018 2:28 AM

Skip the marriage counselor, you need a dietician,,,

by Anonymousreply 32February 25, 2018 3:56 AM

I am just amused that individuals exist who would glance at a very "standard" plate of nachos at a restaurant and honestly assume that he/she was looking at a taco salad. I am relatively sure that I could make that distinction around age 6 or so.. LOL

by Anonymousreply 33February 25, 2018 4:13 AM

The original nachos were chips, cheese, and jalapeño peppers.

[quote]Nachos originated in the city of Piedras Negras, Coahuila, Mexico, just over the border from Eagle Pass, Texas.[3][4] In 1943, the wives of U.S. soldiers stationed at Fort Duncan in nearby Eagle Pass were in Piedras Negras on a shopping trip, and arrived at the restaurant after it had already closed for the day. The maître d'hôtel, Ignacio "Nacho" Anaya, created a new snack for them with what little he had available in the kitchen:  tortillas and cheese. Anaya cut the tortillas into triangles, fried them, added shredded cheddar cheese, quickly heated them, added sliced pickled jalapeño peppers, [Note 1] and served them.[5]

Apparently the recipe stayed the same for a long time. The Amy Vanderbilt Cookbook (1961) has a recipe she mistakenly calls Noches. It's Fritos (the only widely available corn chips back then) baked with a bit of cheese and jalapeño balanced on each tiny Frito. She had tried the dish in Texas though one suspects she was given proper tortilla chips in Texas.

by Anonymousreply 34February 25, 2018 7:02 AM

Oops, here's the link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35February 25, 2018 7:03 AM

You’re both describing nachos.

by Anonymousreply 36February 25, 2018 7:04 AM

You both sound annoying AF.

by Anonymousreply 37February 25, 2018 7:22 AM

r31

No, you're wrong, a taco salad doesn't have lettuce at all. If it does it's a disassembled taco. The "salad" refers to it like Potato Salad or Macaroni Salad. If either of those had lettuce you'd gag.

by Anonymousreply 38February 25, 2018 7:37 AM

Is that so r38? Lets google the definition of a taco salad.

Oh look, lettuce.

[quote]The salad is served with a fried flour tortilla shell stuffed with shredded iceberg lettuce and topped with diced tomatoes, shredded Cheddar cheese, sour cream, guacamole, and salsa. The salad is topped with taco meat (ground beef), seasoned shredded chicken or beans and/or Spanish rice for vegetarians.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39February 25, 2018 12:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!