Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

FBI Director Christopher Wray: Chinese Culture Is A Threat To America

*FBI Director Christopher Wray issued a dire warning about China's growing influence during a Senate Intelligence Committee hearing on Tuesday.

*He said there were a variety of ways China was implementing a plan to replace the US as the foremost global power, including by infiltrating academia.

*Recent reports have suggested that while China's Confucius Institutes are ostensibly language-learning centers, they often serve as vehicles for Chinese propaganda at universities around the world, including the US.

*Intelligence experts have also cited Chinese cybersecurity threats as a major concern in 2018.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78February 25, 2018 2:03 PM

The government were fools to cease covertly sponsoring pro-American academics and culture makers.

by Anonymousreply 1February 16, 2018 5:59 PM

More yellow peril nonsense from the white devils, RESIST!

by Anonymousreply 2February 16, 2018 6:08 PM

China is more capitalistic than America and I love it!

by Anonymousreply 3February 16, 2018 6:16 PM

I don’t know about China but I need more info on Korean skincare products.

by Anonymousreply 4February 16, 2018 7:32 PM

Do I believe China poses a cultural threat to the U.S.? No. I think the geopolitical situation is such that the United States will enjoy cultural hegemony for the foreseeable future. And when it stops, it won't be because the world is becoming more Chinese.

by Anonymousreply 5February 16, 2018 8:14 PM

What happened to you, China? You used to be cool.

by Anonymousreply 6February 16, 2018 8:20 PM

The biggest, immediate threat to America is the FBI being notified of the possibility of a mass murderer plotting a shooting, and then doing squat shit about it.

by Anonymousreply 7February 16, 2018 8:27 PM

Chinese = Jews of the Orient.

by Anonymousreply 8February 17, 2018 4:04 PM

Remember Pearl Harbor!! A leaopard doesn’t change its spots.

by Anonymousreply 9February 17, 2018 5:25 PM

Can you top Vlad's offer? I'll sell out the country for the best offer A Trump Tower in every Chinese city is a better deal than Vladivostock

by Anonymousreply 10February 17, 2018 5:31 PM

Joan Rivers said once on The View after having visited China that we should all just start learning Chinese because the Chinese would be taking over eventually. The others thought she was joking, but she said she wasn't, and I thought so neither.

by Anonymousreply 11February 17, 2018 5:31 PM

china invests huge amounts in education, science and infrastructure.

america gives its tax revenues to our oligarchs while schools, hospitals and infrastructure rots.

china is ascending, america is declining, at some points the lines cross

by Anonymousreply 12February 17, 2018 5:36 PM

R11, Three schools in my area offer Chinese as a second language. At one it is mandatory. It replaced Latin which had been required previously.

by Anonymousreply 13February 17, 2018 5:37 PM

The America-Russia axis is pointing down in a race to the bottom. China points up and onward.

by Anonymousreply 14February 17, 2018 5:40 PM

I have no doubts that China will take over the world very soon. Getting along with the Chinese now will help my career advancement in the future.

by Anonymousreply 15February 17, 2018 5:43 PM

Being a second class power really isn't so bad.

by Anonymousreply 16February 17, 2018 5:48 PM

oh you westerners are so scrutable

by Anonymousreply 17February 17, 2018 5:49 PM

They are also partnering with african countries to help them create infrastructure and educate their youth in the sciences.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18February 17, 2018 5:50 PM

Is Christopher Wray related to this one?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19February 17, 2018 6:12 PM

I'm old enough to remember when it was the Japanese economy that was the threat to America. Then of course things changed, and then they weren't. The same will happen to the Chinese.

by Anonymousreply 20February 17, 2018 6:32 PM

an immense difference between the two countries, and cultures, and the world economy then and now, but i'm sure you're correct, mr magoo

by Anonymousreply 21February 17, 2018 6:39 PM

R20, you're joking right? Most Americans don't care about their children's education. Also at the mess we have at most universities with students focused on activisim rather than learning.

by Anonymousreply 22February 17, 2018 6:44 PM

R20 I beg to differ. The Chinese won't stop until they get what they want. China and Japan are very different countries to say the least. You have no ideas about the Chinese people.

by Anonymousreply 23February 17, 2018 6:55 PM

R8ght r23. Americans are no shape to go to battle with China on any front. We've been given fair warning.

by Anonymousreply 24February 17, 2018 7:26 PM

Sorry, but you're going to have to rip my moo goo gai pan outta my cold dead mouth.

by Anonymousreply 25February 17, 2018 7:29 PM

Even if China overtakes us, we’ll still be a $14 trillion economy. People talk like America will fall into some Mad Max dystopian state just because we’re not the top dogs anymore. Hell the EU overtook us briefly and not a damn thing changed.

America will be just fine. We’ll still be a powerful and dominant force. We’ll still have the ability to destroy the planet with our nukes. We’re not going anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 26February 17, 2018 7:30 PM

if the trumpkins aren't stopped we will be a russian satellite

by Anonymousreply 27February 17, 2018 7:35 PM

With the US in obvious decline, I see China as the obvious next world power. I'm not worried culturally. China is obsessed with Western stuff. We will have international status still but we won't be the boss.

Also, once the Chinese get done with Africa, It should be interesting. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Chinese colonize there which will probably bring up living standards.

by Anonymousreply 28February 17, 2018 7:42 PM

You're an idiot, r26. Keep lulling yourself into a false sense of security. That's what your demographic does best.

by Anonymousreply 29February 17, 2018 7:45 PM

Well, R23, where have they been for the last 500 years, taking a breather and making pot for the Antiques Road Show? They will fall just like everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 30February 17, 2018 9:48 PM

^pots

by Anonymousreply 31February 17, 2018 9:49 PM

China has very little use for western culture beyond our entertainment industry. They also have very long memories.😕

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32February 17, 2018 10:12 PM

Who the hell does China think they are? Russia?

by Anonymousreply 33February 17, 2018 10:24 PM

Is this another Russian post?

by Anonymousreply 34February 17, 2018 10:24 PM

R30, the problem with your argument is that, in this case, the American government is facilitating the Chinese takeover. China has been selling products in the USA at below manufacturing cost- and the US government not only allows it, but takes the side of China when US businesses sue.

Same with intellectual property. This happened to a friend, but it has happened in several other cases. China was ripping off his product. The court ruled in my friend's favor, but insisted that my friend license the product to the Chinese company. Since the judge did not stipulate a percentage for the royalty, my friend gets virtually nothing and he has no recourse because the licensing is court ordered. In another case, the Chinese factory that was making product for a friend . The company went "bankrupt". My friend's production molds were held hostage with an enormous ransom(yes the molds were his property). The USA government refused to get involved. He lost all of his production molds, and the bankrupt factory went back into business using his molds within months.

The Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act was actually written by the Chinese. They got burned with all of the toxic toys in 2007. The Chinese lost face big time and lost a lot of sales to European toy makers. The law was written specifically to put small batch toy companies out of business and make it impossible to hold China accountable.

The US government has passed legislation that gives China much lower shipping costs. Every wonder why it is cost effective to send chicken parts to China and then be sent back to the USA rather than do processing here?

Then there is the Chinese manipulation of their currency.

by Anonymousreply 35February 17, 2018 10:28 PM

not to mention the rethuglicans blowing up the deficit so the chinese will become ever larger creditors of our (eventually unsupportable) debt

by Anonymousreply 36February 17, 2018 10:30 PM

R9 Pearl Harbor was attacked by the Japanese. The FBI should be more concerned about American terrorists.

by Anonymousreply 37February 17, 2018 10:32 PM

[quote]Is this another Russian post?

Yes, from a Clinton Foundation troll farm troll trying to deflect from pizzagate.

by Anonymousreply 38February 17, 2018 10:35 PM

Sum Ting Wong

by Anonymousreply 39February 17, 2018 10:39 PM

we have to do something to safeguard the risotto recipes, otherwise the benghazi terrorists could collapse the international cous cous cartel

by Anonymousreply 40February 17, 2018 10:42 PM

Would it really be so terrible if sometime this century China becomes the world's superpower?

by Anonymousreply 41February 17, 2018 10:59 PM

R41, their human rights policies say otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 42February 17, 2018 11:03 PM

amatuers

by Anonymousreply 43February 17, 2018 11:11 PM

[quote]At one it is mandatory.

Lie.

by Anonymousreply 44February 17, 2018 11:14 PM

My boss hired a native Mandarin speaker as a nanny for his sons. He pays her $85K and says he's lucky to have her because she has a PHD and graduated from a prestigious university in China. The daycare the children formerly attended has a Chinese immersion program.

If Deplorables think they have been left behind, just wait 1 or 2 more generations when only those who have mastered Chinese have a shot at making a decent living. "Dat's right muthafucka, sum ting wong."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45February 17, 2018 11:56 PM

not just the deplorables who will be left behind, but most of what remains of the the once great American middle class, robbing the poor and middle class to give to the rich, which has been the Rethuglican doctrine since reagan, means we will not be able to compete as a nation with china (and I suspect if we have another generation of gop, even india)

A country, like a corporation must "invest" to grow and prosper. The US no longer invests, it "havests," diverting its wealth to the oligachs and gradually "liquidating" the shell that is left. poor schools, poor health care, collapsing infrastructure, increasing poverty and social ills (opoids), obscene income inequality.....all leading to third world status.

by Anonymousreply 46February 18, 2018 12:07 AM

Bunch of chicken Littles. In less than a decade, America has turned into an energy super power. China is still building coal mines while we’re floating on gas. They wish they had our resources.

by Anonymousreply 47February 18, 2018 12:14 AM

The US hasn't really engaged with the world except through the vapid entertainment industry or through war-mongering since the Cold War ended . The political reputation has been declining for decades and fell off a cliff after Trump came to power with his xenophobic and isolationist policies. China, on the other hand, has pushed into every corner of the world, saying the right things and paving the way with money. It's a stark contrast in strategy and we have yet to feel the final consequences.

by Anonymousreply 48February 18, 2018 12:53 AM

Isn't this just Bannon's playbook come to life? It disturbs me that Wray is saying this. It seems purely politically motivated.

by Anonymousreply 49February 18, 2018 12:58 AM

Chinese culture is a threat only because American culture has gone off the deep end.

by Anonymousreply 50February 18, 2018 1:09 AM

it ain't just culture. China has a government with defined short and long term goals and the means of attaining them. We've got grifters, zealots, paid shills, barely functioning morons and opportunists that can neither do diddly nor squat.

by Anonymousreply 51February 18, 2018 1:19 AM

R48 Right on.

by Anonymousreply 52February 18, 2018 1:29 AM

We kowtow to China.

China chop off our head

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53February 18, 2018 1:31 AM

I think people here are misinterpreting some things. China will never dominate the U.S., it simply won't have the resources, in fact if at all possible the Chinese leadership would never go to war with the U.S. (of Japan) because if they lost such a war they would be overthrown. China can begin to push us out of East Asia,by making operations in the western pacific too difficult, and I think that will be the thing to watch this century.

by Anonymousreply 54February 18, 2018 1:36 AM

You're right R54. China will not dominate the U.S in an obvious way, they will do it in a devious way. They are doing it now.

by Anonymousreply 55February 18, 2018 1:45 AM

China's strategy is simple. Once China wins the economic war... the rest, political and military dominance, will just be natural consequences. In contrast, the US is borrowing money to maintain its political/military dominance of the world, using that to help maintain its economic relevance.

by Anonymousreply 56February 18, 2018 1:51 AM

Chinese culture is no threat. No other country in the world strives to emulate Chinese culture, although the Chinese system IS a threat. Nor is mandarin the language of the future. Chinese are very proud of how difficult their language is to learn, which is why they happily use English in international settings.

by Anonymousreply 57February 18, 2018 1:59 AM

Den Xio-Ping said "Move softly softly, wait and then Strike!!"

by Anonymousreply 58February 18, 2018 2:01 AM

R57 Only for the past two thousands years have other countries tried to emulate Chinese culture. LOL Even Europe had its chinoiserie phase.

by Anonymousreply 59February 18, 2018 2:06 AM

R54, I wouldn't be so sure about that. Mainland Chinese send their children to America to attend highschool & university. They buy them a house and pay servants to take care of them and drive them atound. Most of these kids have US citizenship because their mothers flew from China to the US to have their babies and then promptly flew back home with their tots and their brand new american birth certificates & passports. They have quietly been buying up property and businesses for years and it's not just because they think these purchases are a good investment. There's a strategy to what they purchase. They looking to gain control in certain sectors. When the time is right, all those anchor babies will be deployed back to the US and then the fun will really start.

The US workforce is primarily unskilled and unmotivated. Most of the population is either insane, drugged or menatally deficient. Wait until people find out about how the scientist and engineers have developed hidden code that stays dormant in the software that programs almost every appliance and piece of machinery sold all over the world. With this code, hackers could take control of your appliances or spy on your family.

The problem in America is that so many people like posters upstream in this thread either refuse to face reality or think of themselves as so superior to others that they could never imagine an outside group could gain a foothold in our economy, education system or culture. It will be a sad day when reality bitch slaps them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60February 18, 2018 2:20 AM

R60, they’re buying here to have an escape plan in case they need it should their market/system crashes. Same with Vancouver and Sydney.

by Anonymousreply 61February 18, 2018 2:32 AM

R61, that's not the whole story. Go back to sleep, FFS.

by Anonymousreply 62February 18, 2018 2:39 AM

ha ha ha, war not necessary to defeat an enemy, neither economic superiority.....trust me, i know

by Anonymousreply 63February 18, 2018 2:53 AM

The article may be alarmist... though over the long run, nothing is really stop China from getting there. It has the money and young, eager talents.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64February 18, 2018 3:06 AM

I was surprised to learn that China is active throughout the Caribbean and South America, donating money and aid for infrastructure. I was not aware of the minerals and oil in these regions. Think about all that. Do you really want a Chinese base in the Caribbean? It's better we normalize relations with Cuba before the Chinese get there.

by Anonymousreply 65February 18, 2018 3:36 AM

We will have to get Fidel Castro's son to help us normalize relations with Cuba.

by Anonymousreply 66February 18, 2018 4:04 AM

as long as FL is a swing state in the EC and Cuban-Americans vote solidly for the rethuglicans, nothing will change.

GOP hates the dead communist Castro, but sucks Putin's dick with love....go figure

by Anonymousreply 67February 18, 2018 4:21 AM

There is a sense of irony in reading Admiral Harry Harris, a long time China hawk, warned of a 'cult of personality' developing around Chinese president Xi Jinping during his nomination testimony in Congress, when he's nominated to be the US Ambassador to Australia by Trump.

by Anonymousreply 68February 18, 2018 6:41 AM

Oh please R59. Taking stylistic Chinese elements is not emulating Chinese culture. American culture has infiltrated the world in a way that Chinese culture never could precisely because it's so maleable and adaptable to local norms. Chinese culture, OTOH, is rigid.

by Anonymousreply 69February 18, 2018 6:53 AM

R69 And why would anyone copy Chinese elements when they don't want to emulate Chinese culture? At that time, China was very much richer and a more stable society than any nations of Europe. Americans think nothing happened before the US came into being and sneer at the past, when without the past, there would be no present. And they assume the future belongs to them when history is clear that no one stays on top forever.

by Anonymousreply 70February 18, 2018 7:22 AM

Jews are marrying into Chinese families. They always chase the winner of the moment which is why Jews are such disloyal Americans, if you can call them that.

by Anonymousreply 71February 18, 2018 2:26 PM

thank you for you shrew and informed observation Irina, will you get 3 extra rubles for that?

by Anonymousreply 72February 18, 2018 8:46 PM

Adapting Chinese artistic motifs as a decorative fad (Chinoiserie) is very different from trying to emulate their values and culture. Chinoiserie is not authentic, anyhow.

by Anonymousreply 73February 18, 2018 8:52 PM

China is sending envoys to most major (and not-so-major) universities. They offer to do experiments more cheaply for U.S. researchers by bypassing animal protection standards. The results usually come out “favorably” for the U.S. researcher. In return, they want the U.S. curricula (so far). They lack our level of ethics, humanism is seen as weakness.

by Anonymousreply 74February 18, 2018 9:44 PM

They lack our level of ethics, and they lack laws of copyright .

And they feed poison to their spawn

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75February 18, 2018 9:54 PM

I wouldn’t worry too much. Although if China does become the only superpower, it’ll truly be the end of the world.

by Anonymousreply 76February 25, 2018 12:11 PM

[QUOTE]Although if China does become the only superpower, it’ll truly be the end of the world.

That will never happen.

by Anonymousreply 77February 25, 2018 1:58 PM

Good grief that is what they told the Bretons when the Angles, Saxons and Jutes invaded. And that is what they told the Angles, Saxons ad Jutes when the Normans invaded. And that is what they told America when the Beatles invaded.

by Anonymousreply 78February 25, 2018 2:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!