Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Well, this is sad (Elena Mukhina, gymnast)

I found myself looking at a lot of figure skating falls on YouTube, and found this about Elena Mukhina.

I never heard about her before. She ended up a quadriplegic after a fall while training for the Olympics! This was after the Soviets ordered her leg cast removed early following an operation...so she could get back in shape in time.

Oops.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5February 15, 2018 8:13 AM

Too bad they didn't make a movie about her like Jill Kinmont.

by Anonymousreply 1February 15, 2018 3:43 AM

I think her accident is one reason they reconfigured the uneven bars? I saw that documentary on YouTube. She fell and thought "I don't have to go to the Olympics".

How much stress was she facing that she'd rather be paralyzed than compete.

by Anonymousreply 2February 15, 2018 3:51 AM

I believe she was just a little orphan, with a grandmother on the sidelines. She was basically owned by her trainer and Soviet sports officials.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3February 15, 2018 4:00 AM

Russia has not changed one bit. A disgusting, filthy, destructive machine of a nation.

by Anonymousreply 4February 15, 2018 4:02 AM

Well, speaking as an American, our own country isn't looking so great at the moment....

by Anonymousreply 5February 15, 2018 8:13 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!