Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Time To Praise DL's Beloved Jan Hooks Again

Interesting article to start us off.

Jan holds the interesting distinction of being one actress on DL that I think many of us never read a single nasty comment about here. Let's see where everyone is these days. I still love her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16February 15, 2018 7:26 PM

I thought she became a reclusive, nasty old cunt in her last years?

by Anonymousreply 1February 15, 2018 12:12 AM

Unless I've forgotten the uploader, a lot of clips from Tush have now been pulled from YouTube.

Speculation time: if Designing Women did have an eighth season minus Annie Potts, would Jan/Carlene become a bigger focus?

by Anonymousreply 2February 15, 2018 12:26 AM

Love Jan Hooks, but she was wasted on Designing Women.

It would have been much better had she played Allison Sugarbaker and Julia Duffy played Carlene Dawber. Hooks could have made the character bitchy but likeable and Duffy could have done a 180 from her Newhart character.

by Anonymousreply 3February 15, 2018 12:35 AM

And it would have spared us all the awful Judith Ivey season.

by Anonymousreply 4February 15, 2018 12:37 AM

She was STELLAR. She and Nora Dunn had amazing comic chemistry. In an oral history of SNL, they were apparently mean girls to Victoria Jackson. Gee... I wonder why.

by Anonymousreply 5February 15, 2018 1:26 AM

"Inez is holding a clay pot that she seems very proud of."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6February 15, 2018 1:43 AM

Loved her brilliant Bette Davis on n SNL, reading her last will on video.

by Anonymousreply 7February 15, 2018 1:50 AM

OP, we know.

You would have, too, had you done a search.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8February 15, 2018 1:58 AM

So sad that two of the three gifted women in this scene are dead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9February 15, 2018 2:01 AM

R3 - I can’t see Julia Duffy playing anything other than a wealthy snob, but you are on to something by suggesting Hooks as the difficult one. It would have been fun having her play the bitch (and with big hair like in OP’s pic!)

by Anonymousreply 10February 15, 2018 2:03 AM

Nora Dunn on Jan and other parts of her time at SNL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11February 15, 2018 2:09 AM

I really didn't mind Julia Duffy on DW. I think they should have stuck with her and tweaked the character of Allison instead of bringing Judith Ivey in. They writing in season 6 was very lazy, and there was no subtlety in her character, no growth. They never got the balance right between Allison causing trouble but still being a part of the group. Instead, she was just the perpetual outsider, which is not fun to watch.

R2, I think this is the Youtube channel you're referring to. There a ton of Tush clips on it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 15, 2018 6:30 PM

Some of you may know this but I sure as shit didn't and I live down the street in the same city. There used to be a ton of arthouse theatres back in the days of good indie films that were owned by a man named George LaFont. They all went out of business and only one is left and it is pretty mainstream. A friend's kid works there which is how I found out who the manager is: LaFont's old friend, Bill Tush. Apparently being done a favor with some drinking problems.

I know fame is fleeting and it's a cruel business but that really REALLY sucks. Don't you think there would be a place for him on a million shows under the Turner name? Nope.

Jan won a local Emmy for her work on his show and that was the night I met her too. Back in 1981. She was the only one smiling at us and my date said she must be on drugs. I knew she was cool right then and there (Jan, not my date).

by Anonymousreply 13February 15, 2018 6:36 PM

R13, thanks for update on Bill. I did know about his drinking problems. I read an interview with him many years back where he talked about it. I think he said it all really started after he "retired" (seemed more like he was phased out) and suddenly had nothing to do.

by Anonymousreply 14February 15, 2018 6:52 PM

I used to have a crush on Bill Tush when he was hosting ‘Showbiz Today’. Even though he kind of gave off a douche vibe...

by Anonymousreply 15February 15, 2018 7:15 PM

Bill Tush should get together with Daniel Tosh and John Tesh and create the Tesh-Tosh-Tush Show, sponsored by the Tisch School of the Arts.

by Anonymousreply 16February 15, 2018 7:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!