Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ravioli

Is anybody else a fan?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64February 13, 2018 7:36 AM

Only if its Chef Boyardee

by Anonymousreply 1February 11, 2018 5:37 PM

Absolutely. Here is the best home made ravioli in NJ.

Their stuffed shells are amazing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2February 11, 2018 5:40 PM

Yes!! I love Ravioli.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3February 11, 2018 5:40 PM

To much noodle for me.

by Anonymousreply 4February 11, 2018 5:40 PM

Love 'em!

by Anonymousreply 5February 11, 2018 5:43 PM

Mushroom stuffed is great.

by Anonymousreply 6February 11, 2018 5:43 PM

In America most non Italians think there is only one choice, but in Italy, options are plentiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7February 11, 2018 5:47 PM

Yes Please.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8February 11, 2018 5:49 PM

I prefer the cheese-filled ravioli, but when I make homemade I make a variety of fillings. And I prefer them baked, rather than just sauced and plated.

I also have to confess to a weakness for the deep-fried aka toasted ravioli, especially when it has a zesty filling - say, cheese and hot peppers.

There's a local restaurant that makes great baked ravioli, but unfortunately, ever since they were featured on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives the place is packed all the time. They also squeezed in more tables 'till your elbows are practically resting on the adjacent tables. Raised their prices, too. The worst thing to happen to any great local restaurant is for the rest of the world to discover it.

by Anonymousreply 9February 11, 2018 5:50 PM

Lobster filled with a cream sauce is amazing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10February 11, 2018 5:53 PM

My supermarket sells fresh ravioli and tortellini, which is pretty expensive ("use of freeze by three days from now"). I find the frozen store-brand and name-brand varieties to be just as good, and a lot more affordable.

I am miles away from being able to make it from scratch.

I do try to dress it with fresh tomatoes and veggies, at least.

by Anonymousreply 11February 11, 2018 6:16 PM

Crab meat filled are delicious.

by Anonymousreply 12February 11, 2018 6:44 PM

As a child, I was addicted to Chef Boyardee's Ravioli

by Anonymousreply 13February 11, 2018 7:33 PM

I want to make them from scratch, but they seem like a pain in the ass to make.

by Anonymousreply 14February 11, 2018 9:02 PM

"Pasta Drainers," the whole lot of you!

by Anonymousreply 15February 11, 2018 9:05 PM

I like just about any kind of filled pasta -- ravioli, tortellini, tortelloni, agnolotti, etc.

But I draw the line at FAGOTTINI.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16February 11, 2018 9:43 PM

love them! i had the basic ricotta and spinach version with tomato sauce. but it's true one can find a lot of different type here in italy. the latest fad is chocolate ravioli.

by Anonymousreply 17February 11, 2018 10:06 PM

Chocolate filled or chocolate dough, R17?

by Anonymousreply 18February 11, 2018 10:42 PM

[quote]the latest fad is chocolate ravioli

WHUUUTTTTTT

by Anonymousreply 19February 11, 2018 11:04 PM

Chocolate-filled served with bolognese would be silly, but they probably serve it with some sort of custard drizzle or raspberry sauce and that sounds good right now.

by Anonymousreply 20February 12, 2018 2:31 AM

Love Italian wonton!

by Anonymousreply 21February 12, 2018 3:01 AM

Love ravioli!

Great, now I'm hungry.

by Anonymousreply 22February 12, 2018 3:13 AM

i wont eat cheese

goes str8 to the gut and

plugs my sinuses

by Anonymousreply 23February 12, 2018 3:15 AM

[quote]I like just about any kind of filled pasta -- ravioli, tortellini, tortelloni, agnolotti, etc.

I generally do, too, so I was curious to try the famous cannelloni at Sardi's, a house speciality. It was a pasty mass, filled with stale, nameless meat and smothered by an orange cheese sauce that suggested a Kraft dinner.

No real surprise as most famous restaurants in New York that are considered a must-see for tourists are awful.

by Anonymousreply 24February 12, 2018 4:18 AM

love! does anyone know how to make homemade? Also a buck wheat recipe?

by Anonymousreply 25February 12, 2018 4:26 AM

Toasted ravioli (with a marinara dipping sauce) makes a wonderful appetizer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26February 12, 2018 4:40 AM

Recipe R26 please.

by Anonymousreply 27February 12, 2018 5:41 AM

Ha-Ha-Ha . . . . . . .

I bought toasted ravioli in Aldi's , a featured item for the SuperBowl, and it was delicious.

This week it's mandarin chicken, egg rolls, and pot stickers.

by Anonymousreply 28February 12, 2018 7:11 AM

Cultural appropriation!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 29February 12, 2018 7:18 AM

Toasted Ravioli is just regular ravioli that has been deep fried. No boiling in water. Its a kind of fad appetizer thing.

It's my specialty Bitches!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30February 12, 2018 7:19 AM

Chocolate Ravioli

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31February 12, 2018 7:22 AM

only my grandmother's

i have the recipe

but my brother thought it would be a lovely idea to take my mother's ravioli pin and give it to his wife.

so she makes the ravioli.

by Anonymousreply 32February 12, 2018 7:30 AM

So many references to Chef Boyardee on DL.... Is it really favoured by so many? Have never tried it. I misspelled a name on another thread, and a poster thought I was referencing this tinned ravioli?????

by Anonymousreply 33February 12, 2018 7:40 AM

Decent in a pinch. Otherwise grotty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34February 12, 2018 7:49 AM

Is it squishy after sitting in the sauce?

by Anonymousreply 35February 12, 2018 7:54 AM

It's pretty cheap to begin with and some stores run specials, R34. At Kroger it was 80 cents a can recently with an e-coupon if you bought 10 cans.

My guess is, that's the appeal, the price. Maybe some retro appeal for those who grew up with it.

I tried a few varieties recently out of curiosity. (I have a friend who claims to genuinely like it.) As you can imagine, the texture of canned pasta is pretty bad. The ravioli filling is odd, though the cheese filling is less peculiar than the "meat" varieties. The so-called Italian sausage has slightly more flavor than the beef filled.

The sauce is the strangest thing of all. It's reddish but with very little flavor of tomato or seasonings. I really don't know what to compare the sauce to.

by Anonymousreply 36February 12, 2018 8:09 AM

It does seem like a popular American stand-by..... Not above eating from tins, pasta just seems a bit odd.... Nxt camping trip when the weather improves, I promise to pick some up.

by Anonymousreply 37February 12, 2018 8:12 AM

It might be a good food for camping. I think you could eat it directly from the can, without warming. It would taste about the same.

by Anonymousreply 38February 12, 2018 8:30 AM

Yeah right R38, as I don't heat beans either, or chili. Prob good emergency food choice too.

by Anonymousreply 39February 12, 2018 8:36 AM

Have the people who like canned ravioli ever tried the hand-made kind? Probably not. A world of difference. When I was growing up, the school cooks would occasionally serve canned ravioli and I could hardly eat it, and because my mom never served it, I avoided ravioli for many years. Then, one day I was over at my friend's girlfriend's house and she and her mom (Italian) were making ravioli and offered us some. I almost passed on the offer, but politely said I would try a couple. And I was hooked! So THIS is what is should taste like? Last year I was fortunate to have made my first trip to Italy and tried ravioli in a couple recommended restaurants. I was in heaven!

by Anonymousreply 40February 12, 2018 9:08 AM

Ahhh....but do you sauce it in the pan, or on the plate? THAT is the real question.

by Anonymousreply 41February 12, 2018 9:53 AM

And Remember ... More than one is still Ravioli, not Raviolis. Same for Zeppole and Cannoli.

by Anonymousreply 42February 12, 2018 9:56 AM

marry me r28. i’ll make you my delectable tortellini alfredo - as long as i can use the refrigerated tortellini from walmart.

by Anonymousreply 43February 12, 2018 10:08 AM

[quote]Have the people who like canned ravioli ever tried the hand-made kind? Probably not.

I started out life with Chef BoyArDee in the 1950s. It was one of my favorite foods. My father cooked good Italian food, too, though never ravioli, and Italian was always my favorite. When I started doing my own cooking in the 1970s, I started making my own pasta, and making ravioli, agnolotti, and tortelloni was my favorite thing. I taught myself how to do it from reading Giuliano Bugialli's first cookbook.

This Sapore Ravioli place r2 mentions is near where I grew up, and where my father lived before he died. I would shop there when I visited him. Great food.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44February 12, 2018 11:31 AM
by Anonymousreply 45February 12, 2018 12:58 PM

Chef Boyardee Ravioli was made with some slightly slimy mystery meat. Yuck.

by Anonymousreply 46February 12, 2018 1:24 PM

In the 1950s, r46, few would have noticed.

by Anonymousreply 47February 12, 2018 1:26 PM

I don’t think I’ve ever eaten canned pasta. Not even as a child. Since it’s widely available both fresh and frozen (or dried), and it is as easy to prepare as (literally) boiling water, I can’t imagine why any adult would choose to eat it.

by Anonymousreply 48February 12, 2018 1:34 PM

What sort of mystery meat R46? Does it list beef or pork?

by Anonymousreply 49February 12, 2018 1:35 PM

Happy (upcoming) Valentine's Day

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50February 12, 2018 1:41 PM

Growing up I only had homemade by my grandma and/or my mom. I tried to make them using their recipe but they are never as good. I buy from a store called Pastosa which has locations in New York and New Jersey. I think they ship anywhere. The thought of ravioli or any macaroni from a can is nauseating.

by Anonymousreply 51February 12, 2018 1:44 PM

R46, I don't know what the can said, I just know it wasn't identifiable by taste or texture.

by Anonymousreply 52February 12, 2018 2:09 PM

The chocolate ravioli have chocolate dough (black) with a nut filling. You can make a savoury meal (with butter and sage, for example) or use them as a dessert. But i just learned that the major mass market producer of fresh pasta in Italy (Giovanni Rana) has discontinued them! Now i wanna try thr canned ravioli, just for the sheer horror of it!

by Anonymousreply 53February 12, 2018 2:10 PM

The heart shaped ravioli is cute. I'm going to try the Boyardee... I'm especially curious now!

by Anonymousreply 54February 12, 2018 2:22 PM

Beef-a-Roni is better.

by Anonymousreply 55February 12, 2018 2:51 PM

If you have leftover ravioli or any filled pasta (that's been served with a tomato-based sauce), add it to a can of Campbell's beef consommé and a little water. Heat it up, top with grated parmesan or romano, and serve with crusty bread. Makes a delicious soup!

by Anonymousreply 56February 12, 2018 5:13 PM

I can't believe that whore Giada uses store bought ravioli in her recipe.

Maybe if she wasn't screwing around so much, she'd have time to cook.

by Anonymousreply 57February 12, 2018 7:18 PM

I grew up in an Italian household. The sauce was homemade, the pasta was homemade, the bread was homemade, and the salad vegetables were fresh from the garden. My Grampa grew his own grapes, and made his own wine.

Life was good........... 😊

by Anonymousreply 58February 12, 2018 7:25 PM

lucky bitch R58

by Anonymousreply 59February 12, 2018 7:26 PM

I've made home made ravioli a few times and I've just never been thrilled with the outcome considering the time involved. I've done everything from small ones to really huge ravioli. And I finally just gave up because they just never seem great. Either the pasta is tough or they come open in the water during cooking, or the filling is too mushy. And I'm a really good cook! Just not my specialty, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 60February 12, 2018 7:40 PM

R60 your experience is true for most people who try to make filled pastas. Luckily there are excellent frozen and refrigerated varieties.

by Anonymousreply 61February 12, 2018 9:24 PM

Rav Yoli -- isn't he one of those Bollywood stars?

by Anonymousreply 62February 12, 2018 9:45 PM

That sounds good R56.... I like tortellini in chicken broth too.... Esp sausage filled.

by Anonymousreply 63February 13, 2018 1:56 AM

honey never once have i been accused of of turning down a tasty soup.

never happened

never will

by Anonymousreply 64February 13, 2018 7:36 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!