Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I Seek Guidance on Chicken and Waffles

Please explain this. Is it a Southern dish? An Afro-futurism dish? A relic of white colonialism?

Also, the only side item that currently makes sense is bacon...

can you think of a vegetable that goes with waffles and chicken (both, assumedly covered in syrup)

by Anonymousreply 70February 12, 2018 9:24 PM

Sweet taters OP!

by Anonymousreply 1February 9, 2018 5:30 PM

Kudos R1

by Anonymousreply 2February 9, 2018 5:36 PM

It's on EVERY fucking weekend brunch menu here in D.C.

by Anonymousreply 3February 9, 2018 5:38 PM

It's the foundation of Mrs. Pierce's dining empire!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4February 9, 2018 5:51 PM

Rosco's in Southern CA is good. It's something about the crunchy, salty, fried chicken and the waffle with sweet syrup, it's tasty.

by Anonymousreply 5February 9, 2018 6:00 PM

I totally don’t “get” chicken and waffles.

It seems so random to me. Why not pancakes and pork chops? Biscuits and veal?

by Anonymousreply 6February 9, 2018 6:00 PM

It’s not Southern, I’d never heard of them until I was an adult and traveled North. Wikipedia says they originated in Philadelphia and were popularized as soul food during the Harlem Renaissance. As to what you would eat with it, I couldn’t imagine but my guess is either fruit salad or collard greens and Mac and cheese.

by Anonymousreply 7February 9, 2018 6:19 PM

I never heard of it until Gladys Knight opened a chicken and waffles joint here in Atlanta years ago. The stereotypical Southern breakfast is toast or biscuits for the bread. Having waffles for lunch or dinner was unheard of before Gladys moved in.

by Anonymousreply 8February 9, 2018 6:25 PM

Gladys Knight's website states that it originated in Harlem.

by Anonymousreply 9February 9, 2018 6:29 PM

It originated with musicians who got off work at 4AM, and weren't sure if they were eating dinner or breakfast, so they ordered elements of both.

I get that, I work night shift, and when I leave work I'm hungry and don't know whether I want breakfast or dinner. So I call that meal "Brinner".

by Anonymousreply 10February 9, 2018 6:30 PM

afrofuturistglobalcentrum

by Anonymousreply 11February 9, 2018 6:32 PM

Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffle was founded by Harlem native Herb Hudson in 1975.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 9, 2018 6:33 PM

Personally, I would skip the syrup and have chicken gravy instead.

by Anonymousreply 13February 9, 2018 6:40 PM

Healthy salad? No?

by Anonymousreply 14February 9, 2018 7:23 PM

OP -What on earth does Afrofuturism have to do with chicken and waffles?

by Anonymousreply 15February 9, 2018 7:50 PM

r12 Is that Roscoe's cock?

by Anonymousreply 16February 9, 2018 9:03 PM

I recently moved to Atlanta, from Chicago and they don't do pancakes here very often. I go to brunch frequently because it's a "thing" and I was shocked at how often there were no pancakes on the menu. French toast, yes, biscuits, yes, even waffles, but no fucking pancakes.

by Anonymousreply 17February 9, 2018 9:09 PM

I noticed at Walmart I was passing the food aisles and I smelled maple syrup and they had "Waffle Chicken" which appeared to be some kind of chicken nugget in a waffle coating with maple syrup.

by Anonymousreply 18February 9, 2018 9:25 PM

I had this in Nashville last year. I thought it sounded interesting but I would absolutely NOT eat them together. But when it came I thought, "ok one bite just to see."

Totally hooked.

by Anonymousreply 19February 9, 2018 9:31 PM

I just ate at Roscoe's last weekend. I had a #13 to go (1 chicken breast, 1 waffle, butter, maple syrup). I ate it at home with a cup of black coffee. It was fantastic. The biscuits and gravy are also legendary.

by Anonymousreply 20February 9, 2018 9:38 PM

I enjoy both separately, and though quote a foreign concept, have ordered it and enjoyed them together. However, I don't "syrup" the chicken. Been trendy for several yrs now it seems. OP is late to the party I'm afraid!

by Anonymousreply 21February 9, 2018 9:44 PM

as a non-american i'm both intrigued and scared by this dish. Sounds crazy, but maybe the "so bad it's good" variety?

by Anonymousreply 22February 9, 2018 9:46 PM

R22 Don't be sacred. Give it a try, its like dinner and dessert on one plate.

by Anonymousreply 23February 9, 2018 9:50 PM

^i'd like to, but i see that difficult in Italy

by Anonymousreply 24February 9, 2018 9:51 PM

R22 - it's really good, with my main concern that it's trendy. The chicken needs to be spicy.

by Anonymousreply 25February 9, 2018 9:52 PM

[quote]as a non-american i'm both intrigued and scared by this dish.

Don't be afraid of a piece of chicken on a waffle. On the other hand, as an American I am TERRIFIED of this, which the British apparently ate buckets of when it was released over there:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26February 9, 2018 9:58 PM

R26, those are much different from our sausage rolls. Same idea, but G-d is in the details. Those sadly are not even a "reasonable facsimile thereof".

by Anonymousreply 27February 9, 2018 10:02 PM

When you try chicken and waffles for the first time, you realize that they taste great together even though it seems like they wouldn't. It's like when a stranger accidentally drops his chocolate bar in your open jar of peanut butter and you pull it out and put it in your mouth and are amazed by the deliciousness.

by Anonymousreply 28February 9, 2018 10:07 PM

It was common in eastern and central Pennsylvania before restaurants in the Southeast began intoducing it. In PA, it was baked chicken and chicken gravy over the waffles.

by Anonymousreply 29February 9, 2018 10:09 PM

R29, that actually sounds much better! I'm a gravy hound as long as it's not from a tin.

by Anonymousreply 30February 9, 2018 10:12 PM

Has anyone tried Popeye's Chicken Waffle Tenders?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31February 9, 2018 10:15 PM

R30 This place near me now (in south) uses fried chicken. The baked chicken with gravy blended much better. Syrup would be inappropriate with gravy.

by Anonymousreply 32February 9, 2018 10:17 PM

Where are the bloodyy waffles? I don't get R31's pic.....

by Anonymousreply 33February 9, 2018 10:17 PM

R33 The chicken is “breaded” in waffle batter

by Anonymousreply 34February 9, 2018 10:25 PM

People replace hamburger bread buns with Krispy Kreme donuts. And then there’s Terducken.

People eat gross stuff. Chicken and waffles, etc.

by Anonymousreply 35February 9, 2018 10:26 PM

The book, "Dear Daddy Long Legs" by Jean Webster (They made it into a Fred Astaire, Leslie Caron movie) has college girls walking into town from their New England women's college. That book was published in 1910, I think. All kinds of interesting foods in that book. They had lemon jelly for dessert for example. I think if you look thru the original fannie farmer cookbook, you get a feel for the way they ate a hundred years ago. Convenience and fast foods have changed our palates.

That said, Wikipedia says fried chicken and waffles in the south were traditionally paired with peaches and cream (especially peaches and ice cream) for dessert. I gotta say, if you have been working all day, or walking to a restaurant from your college in New England and walking home again...... sounds pretty good. otherwise, its like watching background footage for "My 600-pound life".

by Anonymousreply 36February 9, 2018 10:29 PM

I'd go with the collard greens as a side. You want to give your colon half a chance to clear this mess out of you once you're done eating it.

by Anonymousreply 37February 9, 2018 10:39 PM

I gave my cat chicken and waffles and she ate the waffle, I told her she was doing it wrong and she just shed fur and walked away.

by Anonymousreply 38February 9, 2018 10:53 PM

OTOH they just opened a KFC in my city: it's the second one they open in Italy. It's delicious, i tried for the first time in my life a week ago. I understand now why americans are addicted to it.

by Anonymousreply 39February 9, 2018 10:57 PM

R39, I do believe you that it is good our Italian friend. The KFC in England is world's away from what they serve here. Pizza Hut in London is good too.

by Anonymousreply 40February 9, 2018 11:00 PM

Also, KFC in Grand Cayman is excellent too!

by Anonymousreply 41February 9, 2018 11:01 PM

^it's a big hit in town. A big queue to get in! I shit you not!

by Anonymousreply 42February 9, 2018 11:02 PM

Quality of the chicken (prob sourced locally) is decidedly superior R42.... Fresher too, and less greasy.

by Anonymousreply 43February 9, 2018 11:04 PM

How about Jollibee's chicken and spaghetti combo? Yum.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44February 9, 2018 11:09 PM

I’ve only had it at Sweet Chick in the east village, but I’ve been back several times, so I guess I’m a fan. I was definitely skeptical at first.

They have interesting flavor combinations, so I don’t know how plain chicken and maple syrup would taste.

by Anonymousreply 45February 9, 2018 11:38 PM

[quote]OTOH they just opened a KFC in my city: it's the second one they open in Italy. It's delicious, i tried for the first time in my life a week ago. I understand now why americans are addicted to it.

Actually, KFC has been in decline in the US for some time. Although I gather it's REALLY popular in Japan.

Unfortunately, KFC's loss has been Chick-Fil-A's gain.

by Anonymousreply 46February 10, 2018 12:52 AM

So true R46.... Think they don't try hard enough here stateside... They keep the stuff around too long also. Some of the sides in the foreign markets are much better too. Fuck the fundie Chik Fil-A....

by Anonymousreply 47February 10, 2018 3:30 AM

Popeyes has overtaken KFC in popularity and sales.

by Anonymousreply 48February 10, 2018 4:30 AM

I'll eat Popeye's however sometimes I don't want cajun spiced chicken.... Just regular. The gumbo they disc'd ages ago was remarkable.

by Anonymousreply 49February 10, 2018 4:39 AM

Isn't that what Mildred Pierce's restaurant sold?

by Anonymousreply 50February 10, 2018 4:47 AM

OP - why are you looking for a vegetable to serve as a side? Breakfast meals are notorious for not having a vegetable. Most places the closest you get is a western omelet. Although it doesn't technically count as a vegetable side I would go with fried tomatoes. They don't need to be green. Then don't need to be breaded. Just slice them and put them in the frying pan. Bet to cook them in the same pan you are cooking your bacon.

I can see the appeal of this meal. Today chicken itself doesn't add flavor or distract from other flavors. If the chicken is breaded and cooked properly you can get a bite with all the flavors on your fork.

I haven't been to KFC in years. It use to drive me crazy that on bite one all the breading and skin came off the chicken.

by Anonymousreply 51February 11, 2018 4:20 PM

[quote] Breakfast meals are notorious for not having a vegetable.

Potatoes are vegetables.

by Anonymousreply 52February 11, 2018 9:58 PM

R52 - so?

by Anonymousreply 53February 12, 2018 3:30 AM

r53 So you've never heard of potatoes being a part of a breakfast meal?

by Anonymousreply 54February 12, 2018 4:53 AM

Tomato is not a vegetable, it is technically a fruit. However it is used more like a vegetable, as it is not sweet.

by Anonymousreply 55February 12, 2018 5:03 AM

[quote][R26], those are much different from our sausage rolls. Same idea, but G-d is in the details. Those sadly are not even a "reasonable facsimile thereof".

Yes I know that those are not sausage rolls, R27. But that particular dominos pizza with the crust made of hot dogs (!!!) was released in the UK for years before it came to the USA. And yes, it's EXACTLY as shown in the image. It was a huge success there. There was an article written about it for the BBC, I think. Sausage rolls are *not* a part of that story.

by Anonymousreply 56February 12, 2018 6:14 PM

In FACT, there was a petition in the UK to bring back the hot dog crust, because apparently it was phased out in the UK. Here's the petition.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57February 12, 2018 6:14 PM

Is it me, or is Domino's Pizza held higher in esteem in the UK than in the US?

by Anonymousreply 58February 12, 2018 6:18 PM

Trisha Yearwood's Pigs-in-a-Wreath

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59February 12, 2018 6:22 PM

I don't want to eat finger food with maple syrup.

by Anonymousreply 60February 12, 2018 6:26 PM

r60 You're not into French Toast sticks?

by Anonymousreply 61February 12, 2018 6:36 PM

What is a French Toast stick?

by Anonymousreply 62February 12, 2018 6:37 PM

r62 Just what it sounds like.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63February 12, 2018 6:38 PM

[quote]What is a French Toast stick?

An abomination in the sight of the Most Holy Jesus, the Christ.

by Anonymousreply 64February 12, 2018 6:39 PM

Why would I eat any French Toast that comes in a box?

by Anonymousreply 65February 12, 2018 6:41 PM

Well, that's just cute r59!

by Anonymousreply 66February 12, 2018 6:48 PM

The best fried chicken I've ever had was at Willie Mae's Scotch House in New Orleans. No chicken and waffles there but it's turned up at a couple of places here in Northern CA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67February 12, 2018 6:50 PM

Proper Southern-style chicken and waffles is amazing. That's the one with buttermilk bone-in fried chicken served with waffles and syrup. It's the perfect mix of savory and sweet and also the perfect comfort/soul food. Almost any green vegetable works as a side.

Northern style is the one with chicken (not necessarily fried) served on the waffle drenched in gravy (I find that one gross).

There are a few places left in Harlem that have proper Southern-style chicken and waffles. Even Harlem has been overrun with big chain stores and restaurants.

by Anonymousreply 68February 12, 2018 6:54 PM

Atlanta Breastfast Club in that city (near the aquarium) serves it fried and with a waffle, the maple syrup on the side if you want it. It's amazing.

by Anonymousreply 69February 12, 2018 7:39 PM

This Bay Area place used to have multiple locations, but it looks like they're only in Oakland now. I ate at the one in Walnut Creek a while back and it was quite good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70February 12, 2018 9:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!