Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Salinas, California

Tell us about this quaint little town.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35February 10, 2018 5:34 PM

They grow lettuce there

Also, I hear that they’ve got an unfuckable fat crazy clown who nobody loves lurking in the shadows. The local kids spit on him when he has leave his house for groceries.

by Anonymousreply 1February 9, 2018 7:38 AM

Dumpy, hot, dull, and poor - a bit of flyover country a few miles from the Pacific Ocean.

Full of people who do the workaday jobs for nearby Monterey, but who can't afford to live there.

by Anonymousreply 2February 9, 2018 8:07 AM

One day up near Salinas, my Lord, I let him slip away

by Anonymousreply 3February 9, 2018 8:17 AM

You don't want to go to Salinas, OP. There's a hideously deformed monster living there. It won't let you pass unless you shit in its mouth.

No one is safe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4February 9, 2018 8:43 AM

I went to the artichoke festival there one year. Also, the Steinbeck house and museum is there.

by Anonymousreply 5February 9, 2018 8:48 AM

Ghetto as F

by Anonymousreply 6February 9, 2018 8:50 AM

Great salads though. Tender plants like lettuce thrive in de he cool ocean breeze.

by Anonymousreply 7February 9, 2018 9:17 AM

thrive in the

by Anonymousreply 8February 9, 2018 9:17 AM

Salinas is the only poor place on the California coast. It's where all the "minorities" live who serve the "normal" people.

by Anonymousreply 9February 9, 2018 11:10 AM

Shithole

by Anonymousreply 10February 9, 2018 11:10 AM

That hottie SteveS lives there.

by Anonymousreply 11February 9, 2018 11:14 AM

Ugh. That self-absorbed fuck is mos def not hot.

by Anonymousreply 12February 9, 2018 12:17 PM

R12 = Qwhip trash.

by Anonymousreply 13February 9, 2018 12:49 PM

Went there for a weekend last year for a funeral. Googled gay Salinas to see if there was anything to do in regards to nightlife and the only thing that came up was a restroom in the mall (!). Nothing remotely Steinbeck about the place. Ugly little town.

by Anonymousreply 14February 9, 2018 1:25 PM

Yeah stayed the night there at a Motel 6. It was the most low rent Motel 6 ever. Worst experience ever. Salinas is to Monterey what Oakland is to SF.

by Anonymousreply 15February 9, 2018 1:33 PM

Total shithole overrun with gangs. Do not go.

But is has nothing on nearby Watsonville. Watsonville makes Salinas look like Pac Heights.

In general, when in the Bay Area, avoid anything south of San Jose.

by Anonymousreply 16February 9, 2018 1:58 PM

[quote]I went to the artichoke festival there one year.

The artichoke festival is in Castroville.

by Anonymousreply 17February 10, 2018 1:21 AM

r9 Hardly. First of all, it's not on the coast, it's in the Salinas Valley. Second, there are plenty of awful places actually on the coast, like Watsonville as mentioned at r16.

by Anonymousreply 18February 10, 2018 1:22 AM

"a bit of flyover country a few miles from the Pacific Ocean"

Parts of California strangely resemble the Midwest. Sacramento, Pasadena...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19February 10, 2018 2:11 AM

Parts of California resemble just about anywhere on the planet. That's why they shoot movies and TV shows there. And just about anything that grows (except things that need a really tropical climate like pineapples, bananas or coffee) can be grown commercially there.

by Anonymousreply 20February 10, 2018 2:42 AM

Au contraire, bananas grow here, in southern CA.

by Anonymousreply 21February 10, 2018 9:11 AM

William Saroyan wrote books about it.

by Anonymousreply 22February 10, 2018 10:15 AM

“Well, you had best light out and ride,/there’s pretty women on the other side./in Salinas, you’ll be free as air in Mexico/Camerado...”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23February 10, 2018 10:36 AM

This is eons ago, but I went to the most fun gay bar in Salinas? Castroville? One of the small towns somewhere between Gilroy (the garlic fest!) and Monterey. I think it was called Norma Jean’s. Filled with Mexican farmworkers in their best cowboy drag. Lots of drinking dancing grinding. No English. Went there once or twice when my hair was still brown. Loved it. Could it still be there? Anyone remember it?

by Anonymousreply 24February 10, 2018 1:41 PM

Oh and - the sweet architecture downtown and the Steinbeck museum notwithstanding - Salinas is probably not worth a detour. The “cute” restaurants on the main strip are blah. Your best bet for food is one of the taquerias that serve a mostly Mexican clientele, away from downtown.

by Anonymousreply 25February 10, 2018 1:45 PM

Do the locals say sa-LY-nas or sa-LEE-nas?

by Anonymousreply 26February 10, 2018 1:53 PM

The movie [italic]Smile[/italic] had a pageant contestant from there:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27February 10, 2018 1:56 PM

What a dump. On a road trip, my husband and I spent the night as some shitty motel and the soles of my feet were black from walking on the carpet. All I recall of Salinas is truck stops, and dirty feet. We got the hell out of there first thing in the morning because it didn’t feel safe. And I’ve lived in some scary neighborhoods in Brooklyn.

by Anonymousreply 28February 10, 2018 2:14 PM

Is this where "East of Eden" was filmed?

by Anonymousreply 29February 10, 2018 3:53 PM

r26 sah-LEE-nuss. "Salina" means "saline" (or "salty") in Spanish.

by Anonymousreply 30February 10, 2018 4:45 PM

[quote]Au contraire, bananas grow here, in southern CA.

Commercially? I don't think so.

by Anonymousreply 31February 10, 2018 4:45 PM

It used to have a big gang problem back in the '90s and '00s because when people were released from prison they were often dumped in Salinas.

by Anonymousreply 32February 10, 2018 4:49 PM

Guys, isn't Salinas part of the agriculture mecca of the US? Of course it's not going to be a big metropolis. It cannot be since it needs open fields for agriculture to thrive.

Jesus, California has a monopoly in US agriculture. It produces most of it !! No wonder we ran out of water so often. You fat fucks cannot grow produce in your own states.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33February 10, 2018 4:56 PM

Here's an updated list.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34February 10, 2018 5:07 PM

I taught elementary school there for a few years. The gang violence has gotten out of control. It's one of the most dangerous cities in Northern California. It's really unfortunate as the area is actually very pretty and has perhaps the most perfect weather in the entire state. If you're passing through from San Jose it's a least worth a stop for the Mexican food - the food trucks are incredible.

by Anonymousreply 35February 10, 2018 5:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!