Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Malar Bags/Festoons. Do you have them?

I am in my mid thirties and noticed 2 years ago the sudden appearance of creases or indentations on my upper cheeks below the eyes. They are not eye bags, they are located below where eye bags exist. They are called malar bags or malar mounds or festoons. I have thick oily porous skin and do not have any wrinkles. Unfortunately malar mounds are said to worsen with age and are not helped by surgical procedures or serums. Do any of you have them or know what causes them? My parents and siblings don't have them so I don't think it is hereditary in my case.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13February 6, 2018 9:05 PM

Here is another picture

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1February 6, 2018 8:14 PM

More examples

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2February 6, 2018 8:15 PM

Another photo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3February 6, 2018 8:16 PM

Another photo example

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4February 6, 2018 8:18 PM

OP -

1) Put away the magnifying mirror

2) you have body dysmorphia and nobody else is noticing this detail, they are looking at your overall effect.

by Anonymousreply 5February 6, 2018 8:21 PM

More photos

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6February 6, 2018 8:21 PM

R5 I don't own a magnifying mirror. These bags however have popped up out of nowhere and have become very noticeable in photos which is what alerted me that I have them in the first place since they weren't visible in my bathroom mirror at the time due to the lighting in my bathroom. They have become more noticeable since then, and not just to me. I don't have body dysmorphia.

by Anonymousreply 7February 6, 2018 8:24 PM

You post like you do. Go get a diagnosis.

by Anonymousreply 8February 6, 2018 8:25 PM

i made an appointment with a dermatologist. I also have an appointment with an endocrinologist as well due to some suspected thyroid problems. I've read differing causes of malar bags online. Some sites they can be caused by thyroid issues others say alcohol and skin type can be a cause. I did take accutane several years ago which can cause thyroid problems so maybe that's it? I'm more concerned with there being an underlying health issue than the appearance on my face. Just wanted to see if any other DL'ers had them or know what they are caused by. I was inspired by the dirty pore thread. Hopefully the doctors can give me some answers and my thyroid isn't totally fucked

by Anonymousreply 9February 6, 2018 8:34 PM

OK I apologise for being a cunt. Its a good idea to go to doctors and figure out what causes it (if known) and what can or can't be done. If its just a fluke and not health related, just put it out of your mind. You said you already researched that it can't be corrected by plastic surgery.

by Anonymousreply 10February 6, 2018 8:39 PM

Thanks r10 i accept your apology. There is not much info online about these things, and the few websites that discuss them are Cosmetic sites which mostly state that malar bags are forever and cannot be fixed by surgical procedures. I wasn't actively researching plastic surgery and most likely I wouldn't even consider having surgery even if it did help. Anyways if I get answers from the doctors I will post again. If indeed malar bags are symptoms or markers of an underlying health issue, people should become aware of them and get checked out.

by Anonymousreply 11February 6, 2018 8:48 PM

I don't have either and while I know you said they're not eye bags, I can tell you that the only time I have any kind of puffiness under my eyes is when I have too much sodium in my diet and/or not enough water.

To hold you over until your two doctor appointments, I suggest asking this question over at the SkincareAddiction subreddit. I did a quick search and you are not the first person to suddenly have this problem.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 6, 2018 8:56 PM

Thanks r12 I will check out the subreddit. I drink a ton of water and try to limit my sodium however i might have kidney or thyroid issues screwing with my sodium levels. I'll get my kidneys checked out as well.

by Anonymousreply 13February 6, 2018 9:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!