Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jello "salads"

Are they a Minnesota only thing?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220February 18, 2018 4:16 PM

Pardon me, I'm going to be violently ill . . .

by Anonymousreply 1February 6, 2018 8:04 PM

Is that the same thing as ambrosia salad?

by Anonymousreply 2February 6, 2018 8:05 PM

That looks like that pink slime shit the hamburger chains claim is meat, + marshmallows.

by Anonymousreply 3February 6, 2018 8:07 PM

No, they are a Lutheran thing, apparently

by Anonymousreply 4February 6, 2018 8:09 PM

Did Rose Nylund make them?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5February 6, 2018 8:12 PM

People never think to serve a lovely aspic anymore.

by Anonymousreply 6February 6, 2018 8:13 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7February 6, 2018 8:14 PM

They're more 1940's-60's rather than lutheran. One I like despite the pretentious queens about to call me a pleeb, is orange jello with shredded carrots, also good w/walnuts.... This is popular in Australia too. French style Chaud-Froids were once the upscale jello salads..... & Aspic salads were popular with Jews who had "fancier" holiday spreads. Many look gross, or are too sweet, but they can be nutritious low cal refreshing dishes in hot weather. My Aussie friends said the orange carrot w/or w/out walnuts is popular for brekie there.

by Anonymousreply 8February 6, 2018 8:19 PM

What makes me laugh is that everyone - literally everyone - would laugh and gross out at the link below, but so many people still eat these things. I know so many people who's families still have that one jello salad recipe for every Thanksgiving.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9February 6, 2018 8:19 PM

"brekie"?

by Anonymousreply 10February 6, 2018 8:28 PM

I don't care, I'm brave enough to admit I love Jello....one I saw recently which I olan on making when it gets warm is a raspberry jello, w/halved peaches filled w/a spoonful of cream cheese. The "Melba" of the gelatin world..... Honestly can't wait to try it! Recipe suggested apricots as an alternate version. For many, think these make it easier for many to get more fruits/vegetables in their diets..... Yes, R10, brekie.... Brit transplant here.

by Anonymousreply 11February 6, 2018 8:30 PM

I hate to admit it but i still love jello pistachio salad...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 6, 2018 8:31 PM

Looks divine R12.... I would certainly try that one too! Love pistachio everything else. Not particularly keen on mayo in these salads though, unless like strictly savoury, like a chicken Chaud-Froid.

by Anonymousreply 13February 6, 2018 8:35 PM

Flyover Cuisine.

by Anonymousreply 14February 6, 2018 8:38 PM

I am a freak for a good tomato aspic in a lettuce leaf in summertime. Must have a dollop of homemade mayonnaise on top.

by Anonymousreply 15February 6, 2018 8:39 PM

It’s not a salad! Jello mixed with cool whip is not a salad! Stomps foot....

by Anonymousreply 16February 6, 2018 8:40 PM

I'm a jello salad fan. R13, I'm pretty sure that's whipped cream or cool whip in the jello. Mayonnaise with fruit and jello don't go together.

by Anonymousreply 17February 6, 2018 8:43 PM

R15, if you're not at all Jewish, get invited to someone's house at Rosh Hashannah.... Traditional dish.... Sometimes at other holidays too..... Great in spinach leaf too.

by Anonymousreply 18February 6, 2018 8:47 PM

I like tiny salad shrimp in my aspic. Can Jews eat shrimp?

by Anonymousreply 19February 6, 2018 8:49 PM

R14, where do you hail from, and tell us about your sophisticated palate!

by Anonymousreply 20February 6, 2018 8:50 PM

I still put chopped fruit in my jello

by Anonymousreply 21February 6, 2018 8:50 PM

Many do R19.... Not all Jews keep Kosher. Depends on what congregation, and sect of Judaism. Most Reform & Conservative Jews do not observe Kosher laws, or Kashrut.

by Anonymousreply 22February 6, 2018 8:52 PM

Shrimp in aspic. Where have I seen that before?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23February 6, 2018 8:56 PM

Oh, not good... Aspic is still on Pate de Foie Gras, Mousse Trouffe, etc.... Think people unfamiliar w/old school french cuisine fear the aspic and gelatin.. Gelatin and aspic are great sources of hard to obtain nutrients. So versatile, great w/booze too. I make a mean gazpacho w/a touch of gin and a bit of plain gelatin.... Served over Boston lettuce, or Butter lettuce.... For more pop good w/rocket / Arugula too.

by Anonymousreply 24February 6, 2018 9:03 PM

Just to gay it up a notch or two, to tres gay.... I love those old moulds, esp in copper hanging on a wall to decorate with. They once were quite popular in traditional kitchens. I'll bet the fish in R9's pic is from an old copper mould. These clear salads look very attractive on a table IMHO....

by Anonymousreply 25February 6, 2018 9:09 PM

Southern Baptists love them. The highlight of a Trump reelection dinner.

by Anonymousreply 26February 6, 2018 9:20 PM

I wish we would all hear back from the Queen screaming "Flyover Cuisine" I knew they would be all over this thread.... Read a similar thread awhile back. I'm not so easily convinced he's so sophisticated though. I like to fancy myself a great cook, w/much breadth. Most people who really enjoy cooking, and CUISINE, have open minds, and will find the good in most categories of food. Seems very closed- minded. I am old though, perhaps it's a generation gap.

by Anonymousreply 27February 6, 2018 9:27 PM

In Switzerland the supermarket lunch counters and small corner bakery-sandwich shops sell open-faced sandwiches that are sealed in thin clear gelatin. Its white bread and has assorted toppings like in the picture. They are very old lady food, and delicious. I will eat 2 before food shopping so I don't shop on an empty stomach.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28February 6, 2018 9:34 PM

The only Jello I actually liked was “Waldmeister” Jello with vanilla sauce, which I ate in Germany. Other than that I’ll pass when it comes to weird gelatinous foods.

by Anonymousreply 29February 6, 2018 9:46 PM

long live aspic! It is still very much alive and kicking in the south, along with jello "salads" My family still serves on holidays, tomato aspic, and a lime jello "salad" with cream cheese and walnuts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30February 6, 2018 9:51 PM

Thx ever so much for your contributions and pics R28/R30..... Many upper middle and upper class Americans ate these terrines and sandwiches in the olden days at ladies' teas, country clubs, and Bridge Clubs.... I collect old cookbooks, and their devotees were quite sophisticated in the pictures. I guess it's passe w/younger Americans to admit to eating liver pâtés too now. So be it!

by Anonymousreply 31February 6, 2018 10:08 PM

Not strictly Lutheran, not strictly church potluck, but you can expect to find them there and at family picnics and funeral dinners.

If I’m at a Midwestern down-home event, I like to sample them. I do not want escargot at a church picnic and I don’t want a gelatin salad at a fancy restaurant. But I do enjoy food in context.

When will DL posters stop dissing the flyover states? Life is good there.

by Anonymousreply 32February 6, 2018 10:17 PM

R8 excuse me, I'm actually Australian and I have never in my life heard of anyone eating or making jello salad let alone for breakfast!!!

by Anonymousreply 33February 6, 2018 10:19 PM

And by the way R8 we call it jelly not jello in Australia.

by Anonymousreply 34February 6, 2018 10:21 PM

It isn't a salad but I love strawberry Jello that is blended with equal parts vanilla ice cream then refrigerated and allowed to congeal again. Probably good with other flavors but I have only ever done the strawberry.

by Anonymousreply 35February 6, 2018 10:23 PM

That sounds very good R35.... Do you mix w/a stand mixer, or fold in gently w/a spatula and not blend all the way?

by Anonymousreply 36February 6, 2018 10:25 PM

do you have a recipe for that, R35? is it creamy or lumpy?

by Anonymousreply 37February 6, 2018 10:25 PM

I want to make this now! Maybe like an extra creamy sherbet?

by Anonymousreply 38February 6, 2018 10:27 PM

The sweet jello "salads" are a southern and midwestern thing in the US, so yes, as someone said upthread, "flyover" cuisine. Jane and Michael Stern have written extensively and enthusiastically about them, including in their memoir "Two for the Road" (2006) and in the "Jello" chapter of their "Encyclopedia of Bad Taste" (1990). In the "Twinkies" chapter there they "are proud to claim authorship of a dessert known as 'Undescended Twinkies,' in which [the twinkies] are floated like depth charges in a gelatinized mixture of 7-Up and vanilla ice cream."

by Anonymousreply 39February 6, 2018 10:27 PM

The Lime Cottage Cheese Walnut "Salad"

1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple

12 -15 large marshmallows or 1 1⁄2 cups miniature marshmallows

1 (3 ounce) package lime Jell-O gelatin

1 cup cottage cheese

1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts

1 cup whipped cream

Drain pineapple, saving juice. Add water if needed to make 1 1/2 cups juice. Put juice in saucepan and boil for 1 minute. Add marshmallows and melt while stirring. Add lime Jello and dissolve completely. Let cool until thickens. Add crushed pineapple, cottage cheese, nuts and whipped cream and stir. Refrigerator 1-2 hours until set.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40February 6, 2018 10:27 PM

R8 when I was growing up we had something similar called "Sunshine Salad". It was jello (either lemon or orange) with shredded carrots and pineapple. It didn't have nuts or any kind of topping. It's actually quite refreshing on a hot summer day, but I have never made it myself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41February 6, 2018 10:33 PM

We had that lime pineapple jello salad at every holiday gathering and I still like it.

by Anonymousreply 42February 6, 2018 10:36 PM

Does anyone make a jello mix with natural flavors. Is there a Whole Foods jello or what not? I realise that yellow is animal bones so probably there isn't a big market for such a product.

by Anonymousreply 43February 6, 2018 10:36 PM

Yes, recipe, please, R35!

by Anonymousreply 44February 6, 2018 10:39 PM

r34 Jell-O is a brand name, but it's become synonymous with any type of fruit-flavored gelatin.

by Anonymousreply 45February 6, 2018 10:54 PM

I've made this one at Thanksgiving several times and it's always a big hit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46February 6, 2018 10:55 PM

Minnesota? No -- UTAH.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47February 6, 2018 10:56 PM

R39, Just out of curiosity did The Sterns call Jello salads "Flyover cuisine" I think that term, as well as "Flyoverstani" is despicable! Very Queenie and pretentious. Many people associate these moulds or salads w/loved ones who prepared them, and good family memories, like comfort foods. I daresay people on the coasts and in your beloved "principal" cities make and devour these too.

by Anonymousreply 48February 6, 2018 11:01 PM

Mormon food

by Anonymousreply 49February 6, 2018 11:14 PM

Funny R49, as my ex was Mormon, from a proud Salt Lake family and he hated jello with a passion. Perhaps they burn out on it, if it's that popular.

by Anonymousreply 50February 6, 2018 11:17 PM

Quit trolling, R48.

by Anonymousreply 51February 6, 2018 11:20 PM

Who's "trolling for Jello" R51? I do not work for the company that sells it. I buy their instant pudding for my trifles too, when I'm in a hurry, though I prefer Creme Anglaise. Alsonfond of the Lemon, and chocolate instant varieties..... NOT the cooked.

by Anonymousreply 52February 6, 2018 11:24 PM

OK you bitches have me curious - I must try one of these jello salads now.

by Anonymousreply 53February 7, 2018 12:10 AM

Do Jell-O salads pair well with funeral potatoes?

by Anonymousreply 54February 7, 2018 12:29 AM

What a GREAT thread ...brings back joyous memories. The salmon mold was devine! R41 i like the lemon jello with shredded carrots, celery and radishes with just a dollop of mayo! Has any one mentioned the holiday jello mold with applesauce and cinnamon redhots melted into the red(cherry or raspberry) jello?

by Anonymousreply 55February 7, 2018 12:36 AM

One should really only use vegetable JELL-O for it to be considered a salad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56February 7, 2018 12:37 AM

Waiting for the poster to post his method for jello + ice cream. I googled and found many. some pictures more appetizing than others. This one wins:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57February 7, 2018 12:58 AM

R56 nice find.! .maybe it was the celery jello my mother would use for vegetable molds.

by Anonymousreply 58February 7, 2018 1:01 AM

I don't like them, never have, but they remind me of being a little kid and going with my grandmother to her church luncheons.

by Anonymousreply 59February 7, 2018 1:03 AM

I read my first Stern book in 1975, and I don’t recall the authors making fun of small-town or rural food. It’s classic American!

I used to make a fantastic salmon mold with gelatin. And yes, these salads are great with casseroles and funeral potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 60February 7, 2018 1:08 AM

I've found jello, in all its incarnations, to be quite comforting while ill, especially w/sore throat. Easy to digest, and nourishing for skin, hair, and bones. Great source of silica too, which is good for building bones. Easy and quick to make too.

by Anonymousreply 61February 7, 2018 1:09 AM

There is certainly a nostalgia factor too with these salads and moulds.... Great 50's kitsch IMHO. I have not had Funeral Potatoes, but they sound delicious too.

by Anonymousreply 62February 7, 2018 1:11 AM

I was at a funeral recently, sadly a parent, and the potatoes - there were 4-5 different kinds - got me through. The desserts were incredible. So was the tuna salad, and yes, the gelatin.

The caring people who make this food, including the church ladies who serve it, are truly good women.

by Anonymousreply 63February 7, 2018 1:20 AM

Potatoes provide a Seratonin buzz... I can believe carbs, esp potatoes could help.

by Anonymousreply 64February 7, 2018 1:23 AM

This thread has me not only yearning for jello salads again but am looking forward this summer to reintroducing the molding/layering aspect of these salads. some are quite beautiful and sure to intrigue (for ,as one poster mentioned, those with an open mind)

by Anonymousreply 65February 7, 2018 1:24 AM

Right on R65.... I'm sick of the fancier the bettter food snobbery. Even the best chefs say what they enjoy to fix for themselves and their loved ones most at home tend toward the simple, regardless of how sophisticated some of their tastes and abilities are. More Jello and terrines/layered salads for us!

by Anonymousreply 66February 7, 2018 1:27 AM

Is this the jell-o + vanilla ice cream recipe (basically)?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67February 7, 2018 1:28 AM

or actually...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68February 7, 2018 1:30 AM

R68 resembles what I had in my mind's eye as the lady described it..... Wonder if one melts the ice cream thorougjly first, is the Jello added while hot/warm.... Hopefully she'll come back. We could gild the lilly for the cosmopolitan queens by adding a slash of Chambord, or Creme de Cassis....

by Anonymousreply 69February 7, 2018 1:36 AM

According to the Kraft recipe in R68, you add the boiling water to the gelatin, then stir in the ice cream. Ice cream doesn't need to be melted beforehand.

by Anonymousreply 70February 7, 2018 1:37 AM

Thx R70....may be a bit off topic, but a little bit of plain gelatin is also really good to give body and shine to sauces and gravies, or stews where the meat is boneless.... Makes up for the lack of collagen and natural gelatin in recipes that call for bone-in cuts. (Sorry vegans, and vegetarians )

by Anonymousreply 71February 7, 2018 1:41 AM

I thought they were a Mormon thing?

by Anonymousreply 72February 7, 2018 1:46 AM

I detest ambrosia and anything with marshmallows (except minis in hot chocolate). My mom used to make this, and it was quite good...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73February 7, 2018 1:49 AM

With you on Ambrosia R73, and I've been labeled the Jello-Troll here.... Too sweet, not a fan of Waldorf salad either. Additionally, think I object to the marshmallows' texture. They belong in hot cocoa, smores, and chocolates only.

by Anonymousreply 74February 7, 2018 1:55 AM

I love bananas or canned peaches suspended in cherry Jello.

Then again I also love peanut, banana and mayo sandwiches on white.

by Anonymousreply 75February 7, 2018 2:01 AM

As long as we're talking about jell-o desserts, I give you poke cake. SO GOOD.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76February 7, 2018 2:03 AM

Thanks, R76, first I've heard of this but will try it.

by Anonymousreply 77February 7, 2018 2:17 AM

Is ambrosia salad the same as "watergate salad?"

by Anonymousreply 78February 7, 2018 2:46 AM

I believe it's quite similar R78.... At A holiday party just last year, several of us were trying to figure out which one we were eating! This one had coconut, pineapple, marshmallows, grapes, and was too sweet. It was dark as we served ourselves at a local pub/bar.... We were split down the middle. Honestly, some of us thought it may have been potato salad! We finished all we took, but no seconds!

by Anonymousreply 79February 7, 2018 2:53 AM

Looks good R76! I love moist and "wet" cakes...

by Anonymousreply 80February 7, 2018 2:55 AM

If you people hate marshmallow so much, then I guess you don't eat Mallowmar cookies?

Jello should be plain, nothing within, whipped topping okay.

by Anonymousreply 81February 7, 2018 3:07 AM

r76 Poke cake? Where's the raw fish?

by Anonymousreply 82February 7, 2018 3:10 AM

r78 No. Watergate Salad is like that pistachio thing mentioned up thread. Jell-O pistachio pudding, pineapple, marshmallows, pecans, Cool-Whip. No Jell-O gelatin. Sometimes coconut.

Ambrosia doesn't have gelatin either, but neither does it have pudding.

by Anonymousreply 83February 7, 2018 3:12 AM

My mother used to put canned pear halves in lime Jell-O and serve it with a dressing made of cream cheese, milk, and strawberry jam. Sounds weird, but was quite tasty.

by Anonymousreply 84February 7, 2018 3:13 AM

I think all of these with fruit sound good. R84's reminds me of the peach melba jello I'm going to make... It called for a spoonful of cream cheese in peach halves. Raspberry jello enrobed!

by Anonymousreply 85February 7, 2018 3:16 AM

Not to sound like a fat whore but this thread is top notch.

by Anonymousreply 86February 7, 2018 3:18 AM

My mother used to make a Jello salad with crushed pineapple, shredded carrots, pecans and mayonnaise. I used to love that stuff.

by Anonymousreply 87February 7, 2018 3:20 AM

I don't young people today realize how unsophisticated food was back in the 70s-80s. The whole gourmet foodie craze didn't happen until the mid-90s. Things like Jello salads were de rigorous for every good hostess back then. Oh, how I miss the simpler days.

by Anonymousreply 88February 7, 2018 3:24 AM

Can't stand the sight of anything Jello. When I was in grade school in the early 70s the school cafeteria served grape Jello with cabbage, carrots and raisins in it. Puke.

by Anonymousreply 89February 7, 2018 3:25 AM

I ❤️U R86!

by Anonymousreply 90February 7, 2018 3:25 AM

R89.... Terrible! That sounds like a practical joke, or food for "punishment"!

by Anonymousreply 91February 7, 2018 3:27 AM

Wonder why these aren't popular amongst the gluten-free set? I should think Paleo peeps could make an exception for the sugar, or get sugar free since there is no grain/flour.....Perhaps jello needs to get a new advertising firm.

by Anonymousreply 92February 7, 2018 3:30 AM

Jello is the official food of Utah

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93February 7, 2018 3:33 AM

I wasn't too keen on this Mormon /Utah connection, on account of my Mormon ex, but plan on catching up w/the links later. I don't want it to spoil the food porn effect!

by Anonymousreply 94February 7, 2018 3:37 AM

r12 my mom still makes that and I like it.

by Anonymousreply 95February 7, 2018 3:40 AM

Where I grew up in Georgia, we called them “congealed salad”, and there was a section in every church cookbook devoted to them. I one every once in a while. Raspberry jello mixed with Cool Whip and whipped cream cheese as a base, then add pineapple, pecans, and maybe marshmallows but only the fruit flavored ones. The white marshmallows bring nothing to the dish. And yes I realize this represents the Datalounge trifecta of bad taste: Jello, Cool Whip, and marshmallows. As Susan Mixx sings, ””I don’t care, I love it!”

by Anonymousreply 96February 7, 2018 3:42 AM

R87, I'm taking a pg from your mom's book & add pineapple to my carrot & walnut orange jello salad

by Anonymousreply 97February 7, 2018 3:43 AM

R96, I would try it! I just don't dig the mayo w/sweet or coconut in Jello.... (Or cabbage poor tortured kid upthread)

by Anonymousreply 98February 7, 2018 3:46 AM

I find the less alcohol I drink as I get older, the more I want desserts. Anyone else notice this?

by Anonymousreply 99February 7, 2018 3:50 AM

Cool Hwip.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100February 7, 2018 3:51 AM

I thought "Dream Whip" tasted better between the two fake whips! It could be mixed with vanilla yogurt too.

by Anonymousreply 101February 7, 2018 3:56 AM

Here is the best aspic. Lady Prudence Fairfax brought some over and the night later turned romantic!

Empty 2 large packages of raspberry Jell-O into a large bowl. Add 1 cup boiling water and stir until dissolved.

Open three 14-ounce cans of stewed tomatoes and empty the entire contents of all 3 cans into the bowl of Jell-O. Stir.

Add 6 drops Tabasco sauce and stir.

Pour into a Jell-O mold and chill until firm.

Unmold and serve on a platter with a bowl of sour cream.

by Anonymousreply 102February 7, 2018 4:12 AM

r101, I'm pretty sure my mom always went with Dream Whip over Cool Whip.

by Anonymousreply 103February 7, 2018 4:26 AM

[quote]One I like despite the pretentious queens about to call me a pleeb,

I think they'd be more likely to do that because of your spelling.

Oh, [italic]dear.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 104February 7, 2018 4:28 AM

A lot of the Paleo and Primal crowd avoid processed foods and artificial sweeteners, r92. They usually get their gelatin from bone broth.

by Anonymousreply 105February 7, 2018 4:32 AM

Toss off Troglodyte @ R104..... You're a bit boorish.... I know how to spell it....NowR102, Lady Pruneface Tampax sounds as if she 's seriously trying to poison you.

by Anonymousreply 106February 7, 2018 4:34 AM

Real Southern Tomato Aspic doesn’t use flavored gelatin, i.e., Jello.

It uses tomato juice and plain Knox gelatin. I sometimes use V-8.

by Anonymousreply 107February 7, 2018 5:19 AM

I don’t care if it’s tacky — I still secretly love the lime jello and pineapple “salad.”

by Anonymousreply 108February 7, 2018 5:31 AM

My mom makes an orange jello with mandarin oranges in it and some sort of vanilla pudding topping, it is so good. SIL makes the one with pretzels and strawberries with cream cheese. May not be hip but they taste good.

by Anonymousreply 109February 7, 2018 5:39 AM

BOTH sound awfully good R109.....Yours too R108, and glad of it you don't care if people think it tacky! Just to p/o the pretentious dish queens here, pledge to eat it out of a Corelle bowl too!

by Anonymousreply 110February 7, 2018 5:49 AM

(Some of these flyover recipes are secretly delicious. Don't tell Datalounge.)

by Anonymousreply 111February 7, 2018 5:50 AM

This thread is the middle of the Venn diagram where "Frau" and "Flyover Gay" intersect, but I love it anyway!

by Anonymousreply 112February 7, 2018 5:51 AM

I Think a ton of average, in a good sense, regular people like Jello! The detractors are not authentic people! I feel healthy, never guilty after eating it either.

by Anonymousreply 113February 7, 2018 5:56 AM

In flyoverville the women make all the food and do all the kitchen work, the guys just sit down to eat. I am the only guy that helps in the kitchen. When I come home to visit I gain a couple pounds every time from all the good food. So many carbs but the cheesy potatoes, homemade pigs in the blanket, and yes the jello salads are sooo good.

by Anonymousreply 114February 7, 2018 6:00 AM

[quote] My Aussie friends said the orange carrot w/or w/out walnuts is popular for brekie there

As basic as the food was in Aus in the 70s, aspics and savory foods of the wobbly kind were out of fashion since the 1950s, except for some exclusive pretensions, upscale places that would use very elaborate ones as centerpieces in buffets. English trifle's have retained their popularity over the years, the proper sort with strawberries and sherry... The whole "balsamic this" and "sun-dried that" revolution started earlier than some other places. That was more like the very early 80's.

by Anonymousreply 115February 7, 2018 6:00 AM

I like the Mexican "broken glass" Jell-o desserts, which are both colorful and flavorful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116February 7, 2018 6:13 AM

Wow, never saw Mexican broken glass Jello.... Is the cream dulce de leche, or pudding? Looks more complicated! Good on you for helping the ladies R114. My str8 brother and I help my mom. He even has fewer skills from a culinary perspective, but he'll help tidy up, and bin stuff. My sister on the other hand is helpless, disinterested, and thinks it's beneath her to get involved!

by Anonymousreply 117February 7, 2018 6:50 AM

R9 I could barely scroll through the recipes without my stomach doing flip-flops. Lol. This recipe is our Thanksgiving & Christmas go to. I recommend 'large curd' cottage cheese. You can substitute and flavor Jell-O. Lime, strawberry, or raspberry for the holidays. You can also substitute drained canned fruit cocktail. I love it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118February 7, 2018 9:56 AM

I remember these from the 70s in WASPy Connecticut. My Boston Yankee grandmother made a barely sweet coffee gelatin topped with softly whipped and very sweet cream.

Years ago, my MIL made her annual Christmas gala potluck. She provided a spectacular ham and all the booze. Much much booze. She asked everyone to bring their best side or dessert. That was the best party food ever. Someone brought a layered jello that was crushed pretzels, strawberry jello with fresh strawberries, and topped with cool whip and I think cream cheese. It was fucking delicious and there wasn’t a spoonful left over. The guests were various successful sophisticated Manhattanites, but everyone loved that strawberry salad. It was a really fun party; my favorite of decades of those things. People enjoyed showing off and sharing.

I think we all love our comfort foods, and even royalty must have some sort of nursery food or junk food they love. Let’s not be snobs.

by Anonymousreply 119February 7, 2018 10:55 AM

In praise of the Southland's tomato aspic:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120February 7, 2018 11:23 AM

R117, the white filling in between the colors is a mix of unflavord gelatin and sweetened condensed milk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121February 7, 2018 12:50 PM

If you want a good tomato aspic, try making it with Bloody Mary mix-- you may need to dilute your favorite mixer with a little tomato juice or V-8, but it comes out great. You can also add vodka and make tomato aspic shooters.

by Anonymousreply 122February 7, 2018 1:20 PM

R99, I agree! Who needs booze?

I, for one, would rather eat a gelatin salad than a fried egg on kale.

by Anonymousreply 123February 7, 2018 2:09 PM

Years ago, a lovely DLer provided me with a page from an old Jello cookbook, which had a recipe that I remembered from my childhood. It was lime jello mixed with sour cream and studded with pineapple. No nuts, marshmallows or carrots, just the lime and pineapple. The sour cream really cuts the sweetness of the jello. But, what I really like is the same recipe but with orange jello and Mandarin orange pieces.

I have never seen that recipe on-line and even the jello 800 number couldn't provide it. It took an intrepid DLer with an old jello cookbook to come to my rescue. I still think of him when I make that salad.

by Anonymousreply 124February 7, 2018 2:47 PM

R119

Coffee ice cream is very WASP, so that makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 125February 7, 2018 3:44 PM

Nobody has mentioned Coke salad yet?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126February 7, 2018 3:47 PM

[quiote]SIL makes the one with pretzels and strawberries with cream cheese.

I've made this one several times. It's definitely more like a dessert, even though they call it "Strawberry-Pretzel Salad." I used the Cook's Country recipe. You make a crust out of ground pretzels. Two more layers: one of cream cheese, the other of thawed frozen strawberries with unflavored gelatin. It's very good. Almost like a cheesecake with strawberry topping, but not as heavy. And you get the salty/sweet combo with the pretzels.

by Anonymousreply 127February 7, 2018 3:59 PM

Jello is good for you. It promotes strong hair and nails. It's actually made from horse hoofs.

by Anonymousreply 128February 7, 2018 4:22 PM

NO, R48, the Sterns to my knowledge don't use the word "flyover"; I was just using a word that DL uses to dismiss or at least characterize those parts of the country. Jane and Michael Stern are very appreciative of all local cuisines and cultures—that's their mission. This Nora Ephron article mentions Jane's "passion for Jell-O."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129February 7, 2018 4:34 PM

Thx R129, & everyone who contributed links & great food porn worthy pics! So many delish jello salads, not enough time!

by Anonymousreply 130February 7, 2018 4:38 PM

My grandma used to make the one at R40. I can picture it on the table at Thanksgiving in a pink bowl.

by Anonymousreply 131February 7, 2018 5:45 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132February 7, 2018 6:38 PM

Dream Whip is the winner of the fake whip creams for sure.

I have a vague memory of not being able to put pineapple in jello as it will keep it from setting. And enzyme reaction or something. Maybe that's only for fresh and not canned pineapple because I think I remember having jello with canned fruit cocktail in it and that has pineapple.

by Anonymousreply 133February 7, 2018 6:50 PM

R33 you are a clever lad! It's not the enzyme, but rather the citric acid which prevents the setting. I have made some flops using unflavoured gelatin w/orange & pineapple juice.

by Anonymousreply 134February 7, 2018 6:54 PM

I had a great aunt who used to make Jello salads for any family potluck event. It was considered her "speciality", LOL

by Anonymousreply 135February 7, 2018 6:54 PM

Sorry ^ meant R133

by Anonymousreply 136February 7, 2018 6:54 PM

Thank you R134. I knew it was something about pineapple. Maybe the one in the canned fruit cocktail works differently for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 137February 7, 2018 6:56 PM

R19 Yes! Tomato aspic and shrimp - my mom made that. Had almost forgotten about it. Thans!

by Anonymousreply 138February 7, 2018 6:56 PM

R134, here:... Again R137 you are very perspicacious! Think they prob adjust ph in tinned fruits, or some additive counters it. A friend much more knowledgeable about chemistry than I suggested VitC as a possible culprit too. Stands to reason the Vit C would oxidize in tins over time a bit. Every time I add pineapple, even tinned, the jello never is quite as firm. So glad you brought it up, as I had meant to yesterday!

by Anonymousreply 139February 7, 2018 7:05 PM

R19 Cafe Jello sounds classic! Thx for another example.... Especially since CT does not quite qualify as "Flyover" territory!

by Anonymousreply 140February 7, 2018 7:17 PM

If you would like to put pineapple in your jello, I have good news for you. You can actually combine the two and get a yummy dessert ... but you have to use canned pineapple to prepare it.

Jello contains gelatin (a protein, which is a processed version of collagen. Collagen is a material we have in our bones, for example). Jello also contains sugar, flavoring, and coloring agents. Like all protein, gelatin is made up of amino acids, the individual building blocks of live. Gelatin is insoluble in water, but individual amino acids are not, they are soluble. Pineapples, unlike most other fruit, contain an enzyme called bromelain, that breaks up the gelatin into it's amino acid building blocks. [Enzymes are biomolecules that catalyze chemical reactions; most of them are proteins themselves.] Due to the bromelain, your jello doesn't become (or stay) solid. If you add fresh or frozen pineapple to jello, soon they will just float in a soup of amino acids, sugar, flavoring, and coloring agents. BUT ... if you use canned pineapple, you can combine the two without a problem. During the canning process the pineapple gets heated and the bromelain breaks apart. Then the bromelain is no longer active and it canot attack the gelatin.

by Anonymousreply 141February 7, 2018 9:37 PM

I won't eat anything that's moving.

by Anonymousreply 142February 7, 2018 9:50 PM

^^ Meshuganah!

by Anonymousreply 143February 7, 2018 9:57 PM

I love this thread! It’s making me so hungry.

Thank you, fellow DL posters.

by Anonymousreply 144February 7, 2018 9:58 PM

My Aunt brought “ribbon salad” every Christmas Eve: a red, white and green holiday “salad” - a layer of cherry jello, a middle layer of lemon jello, cool-whip and canned pineapple, and a top layer of lime jello.

The adults loved it. All the kids hated it - weird, considering how sweet it was.

by Anonymousreply 145February 7, 2018 10:33 PM

They all look like vomit after eating too much cotton candy.

by Anonymousreply 146February 7, 2018 11:02 PM

If you were trying to be funny, you failed.

by Anonymousreply 147February 7, 2018 11:04 PM

Quite the contrary, R106, the aspic described in R102 was properly delicious (and, I might discreetly add, Lady Prudence Fairfax is quite the dish herself). The aspic looked quite similar to the one in the photograph presented below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148February 7, 2018 11:11 PM

Here, check this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149February 7, 2018 11:34 PM

This thread has really inspired me to dig out my molds, and make refreshing jello "salad". I found this interesting sangria "salad" that I can enjoy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150February 7, 2018 11:49 PM

R146/R148 You are such the pathetic little twit-queen.... Trying to shit all over everyone's party favours again here tonight. We get it, Pruneface Tampax, you hate Jello, and think we're beneath your boots. Sad thing is you're not even funny. You probably do not have any friends. It must be so bloody satisfying feeling superior by putting others down. You're the type of queen that I hope soon becomes extinct, because, well, YOU STINK QUEEN SHITHEAD!

by Anonymousreply 151February 8, 2018 12:03 AM

Thx 149.... I just discovered I have the hard-cover 1st edition of Betty Crocker's New Picture Cookbook! I bought it for the kitsch factor years ago! They have some perfectly awful recipes by some VIP s ! Many actresses, opera singers, has some fun photos too. Who knew people would be willing to pay so dearly for this one!

by Anonymousreply 152February 8, 2018 12:22 AM

Thx R144/ and "Clever lad" @'R133.... Apparently the enzymes are the cause of the failed set. Read online acid can be a problem, but looks like lemon or lime, rather than the orange. Nothing as regards Vit C! Hmmmmmm!

by Anonymousreply 153February 8, 2018 12:36 AM

This is the most popular Jello desert for the holidays. The cranberry Jello salad with cream cheese topping.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154February 8, 2018 1:03 AM

They used to have this jello dish that had this white, almost foamy sweet thing in a stripe in it. It wasn't whipped cream, real or fake. It wasn't marshmallow cream. I really don't know what it was but it was tasty, and like a cloud. I would like to make that but I don't even know what it was or how they got it into a stripe.

All this jello talk. I now have such an urge for some kind of jello salad and strangely to have with warm artichoke and spinach dip with club crackers. Weird. Oh and some fruit punch, real punch with fruit floating in it.

by Anonymousreply 155February 8, 2018 2:05 AM

[quote]I won't eat anything that's moving.

My uncle always used to joke and say he wouldn't eat anything more nervous than he is (Jello is wobbly)

by Anonymousreply 156February 8, 2018 8:23 AM

Gelatin: Animal skin and bones. No thanks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157February 8, 2018 8:37 AM

Late to this thread and no recipes to bring but feeling like I've just dropped in on a DL potluck party. Picturing you all working the tables spread with offerings, bowls in manicured hands, all mmming and oohing as you taste and compare ingredients.

by Anonymousreply 158February 8, 2018 8:49 AM

R155, you are talking about one of two things. Could it be Jell-O 1-2-3 that was popular in the 1970s-80s? Or Possibly you remember one of the mock Jell-O 1-2-3 recipes from the same time period. They were made by making Jell-O per usual, chilling slightly, then whipping a portion of the partially jelled substance. Some recipes had you add whipped topping to the whipped gelatin for added chemicals and whiteness. Then the whipped and unwhipped masses were layered into a parfait-like concoction.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159February 8, 2018 5:37 PM

r155 Was it this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160February 8, 2018 6:34 PM

I recall several of those parfait style stripey jello desserts.... Think there were different ways/methods.... Years ago, remember my mum had a small Jello desssert book, more like a pamphlet.... Pub by the Jello company.... I prefer those to the firmer ones in R160's pic

by Anonymousreply 161February 8, 2018 6:51 PM

Knox Blox

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162February 8, 2018 8:47 PM

Whip 'n Chill

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163February 8, 2018 8:48 PM

Exactly R162! Great w/booze though!

by Anonymousreply 164February 8, 2018 8:49 PM

r162 Mmmm jello shots.

by Anonymousreply 165February 8, 2018 9:32 PM

I made Jello 1-2-3 many times, following the directions on the box, but it never came out with layers of equal heights as shown on the box. The packaging was deceptive.

by Anonymousreply 166February 8, 2018 9:38 PM

Did our beloved and iconic Fanny incorporate gelatin into her confection's?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167February 8, 2018 9:41 PM

Far upthread someone asked if there was a natural version of gelatin. Yes, there is. It is imported from Switzerland and is made from agar, a form of sea weed. It is in a powdered form and sweetened and flavored with natural ingredients. No artificial colors . It didn't quite satisfy, but good to know it exists if a vegan is coming over. In my opinion, I don't see how it could work to make these jello desserts being discussed.

by Anonymousreply 168February 8, 2018 10:22 PM

Jello 1-2-3 was the best shit ever.

by Anonymousreply 169February 8, 2018 11:29 PM

And so elegant r169.......

by Anonymousreply 170February 9, 2018 12:25 AM

Not half as elegant as Hostess Snack Cakes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171February 9, 2018 12:31 AM

R168 thanks.

by Anonymousreply 172February 9, 2018 1:08 AM

Another bit of info on Agar: It can be purchased in health food stores and probably Asian markets. I once was invited to a macrobiotic dinner where they served an agar and fruit dessert. Wow! Very good, probably better than the instant mix. The mix was convenient, however. Another plus is that the mix did not require chilling to set.

by Anonymousreply 173February 9, 2018 1:13 PM

[quote]... you are a clever lad! It's not the enzyme, but rather the citric acid which prevents the setting.

This is false. The citric acid has nothing to do with it. It is the bromelain, which is made up of two enzymes. R133 had it right the first time. Canned pineapple can be used because the heat of the canning process deactivates the enzymes.

Some other fruit enzymes will also prevent gelatin from setting, such as papain in papaya, and actinidin in kiwi.

by Anonymousreply 174February 9, 2018 3:58 PM

R162, KNOX BLOX! Yes!

There’s also a version you can make with pectin, which is derived from fruit or something. My mom made them once when I was a kid.

I love this thread.

by Anonymousreply 175February 9, 2018 4:13 PM

R174, that was already established way upthread at R141.

by Anonymousreply 176February 9, 2018 9:20 PM

R159 and R160, those aren't exactly what I'm remembering but they both look so wonderful I'm going to try to make them. I don't know if they still sell that 1,2 3 thing but I'll bet I can come close with real whipped cream, the kind you make from heavy cream, not the one in the can. That's for R159's anyway. Yours , R160, looks just as good, more like candy. I want to give that a try too. OMG, I haven't had jello in years. I'm going to buy out the store and I think I will have so much fun trying. Even if I mess up, it's jello. It'll taste good anyway.

Thank you both!

by Anonymousreply 177February 9, 2018 11:47 PM

When I was a kid, there was no Jell-O instant pudding, just the kind you cooked on the stove. And when the instant kind came out, I never really liked it. But I guess as with so many things, ease of use wins out over quality. There aren't as many of the cooked versions available anymore, but I use them when I can find them. The butterscotch is pretty good (although butterscotch pudding from scratch isn't that difficult.)

Does anyone remember that they used to sell Jell-O chocolate tapioca pudding mix?

by Anonymousreply 178February 9, 2018 11:57 PM

YES R174, someone w/more knowledge put us on the right path. I also corrected myself, and had responded to "clever lad" Citric acid is only a prob w/lemon, lime, and rhubarb. Rarely would it be acidic enough. Thinking now, Papaya may pose such a problem too, due to papain. This enzyme is ubiquitous in many commercially prepared meat tenderisers it is so effective.

by Anonymousreply 179February 10, 2018 12:04 AM

BONE BROTH. such a ring to it! (and not a jello ring)

by Anonymousreply 180February 10, 2018 12:10 AM

r154 I remember a relative bringing this Thanksgivings when I was a kid, it is delicious

by Anonymousreply 181February 10, 2018 12:13 AM

R160 we could call those GBLT JEWELS

by Anonymousreply 182February 10, 2018 12:15 AM

It's easy to make pudding from scratch. It's just milk, egg yolks, cornstarch, sugar, a pinch of salt, cut up a good quality chocolate bar or if you want vanilla just add vanilla extract and if you can afford it a vanilla bean. It takes about 10 minutes prep and about 15 minutes cooking. You do have to pay attention to it. You don't walk away but then you don't walk away when using cooked pudding from the box.

Make sure you temper the eggs yolks or you'll get scrambled eggs and when it's finished take it off the heat to add a little butter and the vanilla extract. Quickly put it into serving dishes and place a piece of plastic wrap right on top of the pudding, so that it touches the pudding so it doesn't form a skin. You have to do this with boxed cooked pudding too. If you like it warm, leave the plastic off one portion and enjoy, although usually there is enough left in the pot to enjoy it hot and put away all the actual portions. Nothing is quite as satisfying as licking still warm pudding from the pot and spoon.

by Anonymousreply 183February 10, 2018 12:17 AM

The cranberry Jello looks divine... Love Cranberry, but have never tried, nor have I seen Cranberry flavoured Jello.... I shall be on the lookout for it now!

by Anonymousreply 184February 10, 2018 12:18 AM

Only for Thanksgiving: bring two cups of water to the boil, stir in a can of cranberry sauce (smooth) until it melts, then two packets of raspberry Jello until they dissolve. Once it's all liquid, add a drained can of Mandarin oranges, and a handful or two of dried pecans. Pour into a heatproof glass dish, or a copper mold. Serve for Thanksgiving. Divine!

by Anonymousreply 185February 10, 2018 12:22 AM

R184 I think it's seasonal.

by Anonymousreply 186February 10, 2018 12:22 AM

No refrigeration r185?

by Anonymousreply 187February 10, 2018 12:25 AM

Sounds goodR185.... Love the orange w/the cranberry.... Always add zest or Grand Marnier to mine, orange extract works well too,, Bet your recipe would be great w/orange Jello too!

by Anonymousreply 188February 10, 2018 12:26 AM

The Minnesota Lutheran Church I grew up in in the 60's had pot luck suppers several times a year. They consisted of many kinds of hot dishes, many Jello salads and many deserts. Everything was home made. All kinds of Jello salads. Some had fruit in it, some had grated carrots, some were multi layered. All were delicious for a kid.

by Anonymousreply 189February 10, 2018 2:11 AM

R183

Some of us like pudding skin.

by Anonymousreply 190February 10, 2018 2:14 AM

I like my pudding circumcised r190.

by Anonymousreply 191February 10, 2018 2:19 AM

R178–I remember the chocolate tapioca. Delicious but I think the mixture of chocolate with that odd prearly texture didn’t work for people. I still like regular tapioca pudding.

by Anonymousreply 192February 10, 2018 2:44 AM

I’m a native Midwesterner and get back often, but I haven’t seen jello salads since I was a kid in the 70s. Three bean salad was even more common but I haven’t seen that in awhile and I liked it much more.

The last time I saw jello anywhere was at one of those cafeterias popular with the blue rinse crowd in Georgia and the the cafeterias and the blue rinse women are dying off quickly.

Jello salads were popular everywhere in the US and well born people liked a good aspic, not just Sotherners, who tend be awfully annoying about claiming provenance and authenticity of food.

by Anonymousreply 193February 10, 2018 2:50 AM

R192.... Try as I might, can't warm up to tapioca! Have had it in the trendy Asian bubble-teas too. I think my brain gets confused, like it should be chewed..... Most people my age or older do like it (50+). I'll stick w/the Jello!

by Anonymousreply 194February 10, 2018 3:24 AM

Aren't the bubble tea tapioca pearls supposed to be chewed?

by Anonymousreply 195February 10, 2018 3:33 AM

R95. Guess that's dependant upon the size of the bubbles in question.... It never seems they would be successfully chewed no matter what! Think others just swallow, but it bothers me. I'm one of those who has a problem w/textures of foods. Rarely though do things bother me as much as tapioca. Go figure...?

by Anonymousreply 196February 10, 2018 4:06 AM

I want some of this NOW!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197February 11, 2018 6:04 PM

There is a cranberry jello salad I used to like at thanksgiving and I like the pistachio jello salad. I don't think I ever made jello, unless someone was sick and had a hard time eating. Jello is great if an old person is having trouble swallowing liquids.

by Anonymousreply 198February 11, 2018 6:10 PM

We NEVER eat those in the metro NY area, at least not since the early 1970s. I suppose midwestern palettes are less adventurous, much like their fashion.

by Anonymousreply 199February 11, 2018 6:18 PM

Jello is popular now for adding to box cake mixes to make a cake that is super moist and flavorful.

by Anonymousreply 200February 11, 2018 6:59 PM

I meant to say that Jello pudding is added to cake mixes.

by Anonymousreply 201February 11, 2018 6:59 PM

That would be your "pudding in the mix" variety r201.

by Anonymousreply 202February 11, 2018 7:02 PM

My sister used to make chiffon, which was Jell-O made with milk instead of water, and then whipped before chilling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203February 11, 2018 7:13 PM

My sister used to make a cake in the 70s that was a boxed yellow cake and then after it was baked she would poke the handle of a wooden over the top, then pour various colors of liquid Jello into the holes. It was then spread with whipped cream. It looked pretty, very Christmassy and festive.

by Anonymousreply 204February 11, 2018 7:16 PM

[quote]BONE BROTH. such a ring to it! (and not a jello ring)

I saw myself

a ring of bone

in the clear stream

of all of it

and vowed,

always to be open to it

that all of it

might flow through

and then heard

“ring of bone” where

ring is what a

bell does

by Anonymousreply 205February 11, 2018 7:19 PM

excuse me while i throw up

by Anonymousreply 206February 11, 2018 7:29 PM

[quote]My sister used to make chiffon, which was Jell-O made with milk instead of water, and then whipped before chilling.

Do you have to heat the milk like you do with water in order to get the Jell-O dissolved?

by Anonymousreply 207February 11, 2018 9:46 PM

I'd rather eat tapioca than cum.

by Anonymousreply 208February 11, 2018 9:46 PM

R189 was there also usually lutefisk at those church meals too? I've always wondered how the Scandinavian cooking traditions make it palatable as so many complain about the texture but so many also seem to love it.

R155 I know you posted upthread that R159 R160 weren't quite like what you remembered but in the ballpark. Was it maybe Jello 1-2-3 (do they sell it anymore?) Jello or pudding parfait desserts were very popular in the 60s (probably 70s too.) I know that there are several recipes for them in some of my mother's 60s-70s cookbooks (including the pamphlet type book published by the makers of Jello.) Unfortunately, those are in inaccessible storage at the moment or I'd look up the recipes for you. If I remember somewhat correctly, you made the jello using the soft set method; this cools and solidifies the Jello in about 30 minutes but it is not fully set. You then spoon small portions into parfait glasses, then put in a layer of what I am almost positive was Dream Whip, then gently spoon in another layer of Jello, then Dream whip to top it off. You could use thinner layers of gelatin to make more layers which make the dessert look a bit more elegant. Does Dream Whip even exist anymore? It was superior to Cool Whip in taste and texture, as far as non-cream whipped topping are concerned.

Jello gelatin and Jello puddings were a staple at home when I was growing up. As was Junket Rennet Custard; once I reached the age of about 4 I decided that the stuff tasted thoroughly disgusting. Thereafter it was Jello gelatin or pudding only for me.

by Anonymousreply 209February 12, 2018 10:23 PM

I bought a box of strawberry jello today. Now I’m pondering the possibilities.

by Anonymousreply 210February 17, 2018 2:57 AM

R2 Is that the same thing as ambrosia salad?

Not exactly. Ambrosia (also called Bride's Salad, because it's so easy to make) is an old fashioned, chilled dessert that goes back at least to the 1920s. It's oranges sliced very thin, then sprinkled with shredded coconut and some liquer (like Cointreau?) I guess it was good after a heavy meal, or in hot weather.

Some Jello salads use this idea as a base, adding mini marshmallows etc...but originally, Ambrosia was simpler.

by Anonymousreply 211February 17, 2018 6:26 AM

Found this funny article, though what they're discussing isn't the traditional Ambrosia....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212February 17, 2018 6:27 AM

I have never been served a Jello salad. I don't think I would like it.

My mom's from the East Coast, and would have just considered all those "chilled salads" frivilous. If you're serving peaches, carrots, whatever, you don't suspend them in gelatin (which is kind of a nothing junk food), you just put them in their own dish. Puddings and custards were alright, as they at least contained milk, which is more of a "real" food.

It's funny how our tastes in food can be so shaped by what we grew up with. We just didn't have Jello salads in my town or at any of my relatives tables...so they just seem a little foreign and slightly repellent to me.

[italic]But[/italic] I would try one...

by Anonymousreply 213February 17, 2018 6:45 AM

When I was a little kid I would see those "pudding in the mix" boxed cake mixes and always think it meant the finished cake had a yummy chocolate pudding filling. Alas, I was always disappointed. (Were they even any creamier/moister/whatever than regular cake mixes?)

by Anonymousreply 214February 17, 2018 6:47 AM

R207, I guess you would have to heat part of the milk to get the Jello to dissolve. I can't remember seeing my sister make it. Nowadays "chiffon" recipes call for either evaporated milk or sweetened condensed milk, and sometimes Cool Whip folded in. But there is always also a small amount of boiling water at the beginning to dissolve the Jello. But what my sister made back then was much simpler, I believe it was just Jello and milk, and then whipped with beaters then chilled. I don't know the exact recipe or techniques though.

by Anonymousreply 215February 17, 2018 7:09 AM

Yes the "pudding in the mix" cake mixes were supposed to reliably produce a moister cake. That was the selling point they pushed.

by Anonymousreply 216February 17, 2018 7:11 AM

Betty Crocker cake mix boxes still say "The Pudding's in the mix!". They are noticeably moister than say, a Duncan Hines mix.

by Anonymousreply 217February 17, 2018 7:49 AM

I love it but it's NOT Salad liars it's a desert! Stop perpetuating this lie! "Salad" my ass! Hehe

by Anonymousreply 218February 17, 2018 7:52 AM

It's not a [italic]desert[/italic] , Salad Liar r218, it's a [italic]dessert[/italic] .

by Anonymousreply 219February 17, 2018 11:09 AM

Since several of you have mentioned cookbooks, does this one sound familiar to anyone? My Mom had one the she received for her wedding shower in 1957. I believe it was a smaller format, gray with red printing on the cover. (but I could be thinking of another of her cookbooks). The back section was devoted to menus for every day of the year, three meals a day. I thought it was the most sophisticated thing ever! I'd reread that section over and over, thinking it was so clever how on Sunday they'd sever roast beef then on Monday have hash from the leftovers.

by Anonymousreply 220February 18, 2018 4:16 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!