Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tell me all about Olga Korbut

Was she as big of a deal as Nadia Comaneci would end up becoming?

Were you a fan?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95November 27, 2018 8:20 PM

She was everything.

by Anonymousreply 1January 26, 2018 2:14 AM

Her other competitive highlights.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 26, 2018 2:15 AM

She was awesome.

by Anonymousreply 3January 26, 2018 2:20 AM

Olga was the first world-renown female gymnast. She became a superstar in a way that few have become since. Many of Olga Korbut's fans disliked the cold, unemotional Nadia.

by Anonymousreply 4January 26, 2018 2:26 AM

Thanks for posting. I loved her.

by Anonymousreply 5January 26, 2018 2:29 AM

Funny that she would end up becoming the star, when her teammate is the one who won the overall gold medal. Yet nobody remembers her? Judging by this video, I can see why. She was not nearly as fun to watch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 26, 2018 2:32 AM

Drew Barrymore in ET reminded me of Olga. It's the pigtails.

by Anonymousreply 7January 26, 2018 2:40 AM

Nadia's first perfect 10 for comparison.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 26, 2018 2:46 AM

After moving to the US, she developed a drinking problem, got arrested for shoplifting, and was investigated for counterfeiting after fake cash was found in her son's house. She sold most of her medals and other memorabilia last year, but she also found a new husband and coaching career.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 26, 2018 2:46 AM

Olga was nothing! I was America's sweetheart!

by Anonymousreply 10January 26, 2018 2:52 AM

That was an exciting bars routine to watch. I have never seen tricks like that in any of the recent Olympic routines!

by Anonymousreply 11January 26, 2018 2:55 AM

Go choke on myexi pyedz, Kethy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 26, 2018 2:56 AM

Olga was a real lady, unlike that whore bitch Nadia Comeneci.

by Anonymousreply 13January 26, 2018 3:03 AM

Olga turned into a Klepto -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 26, 2018 3:09 AM

Didn't she box Tonya Harding, too?

by Anonymousreply 15January 26, 2018 3:09 AM

She was the beginning of the 85 lb pixie esthetic in gymnastics of starving, stunted women who look like little girls.

by Anonymousreply 16January 26, 2018 3:13 AM

R 11 A soviet gymnast broke her neck doing a more complicated flip. They banned the move and reconfigured the bars. I saw a documentary and when the gymnast fell and realized she was paralyzed she said she was relieved not to have to compete.

by Anonymousreply 17January 26, 2018 3:14 AM

I had no idea that Olga competed at the same Olympics as Nadia in 1976. I wonder if she felt upstaged?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 26, 2018 3:47 AM

Here is some context as to why she became a fan favorite. This is the first time I've seen what a meltdown she had on the bars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 26, 2018 4:15 AM

r19 Some girls just let the fame go to their head and can't handle adulthood. What a waste. Young girls with real talent develop lifelong skills like pediatric medicine in addition to being America's sweetheart. They then marry rich, but grounded. I know a few good surgeons if anybody is looking for a date. Not you Olga.

by Anonymousreply 20January 26, 2018 5:05 AM

She changed and revolutionized gymnastics from what was once a mostly balletic sport performed by older women, and introducing daring and cutting-edge acrobatics. As someone up thread already mentioned, she popularized the pixie body type that is most capable of these skills, which has taken the sport in new directions, but there are also legit criticism of this.

by Anonymousreply 21January 26, 2018 5:08 AM

She was no great shakes!

by Anonymousreply 22January 26, 2018 6:21 AM

Why did that performance at OP not get a 10? Looked pretty perfect to me.

by Anonymousreply 23January 26, 2018 6:41 AM

Little known fact: Olga Korbut was hired as a stunt double to do the crabwalk scene in "The Exorcist!"

by Anonymousreply 24January 26, 2018 7:43 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 25January 26, 2018 1:06 PM

I love the 70s style of gymnastics. R11, the bars were much closer together back then, allowing gymnasts to compete the type of in-bar work you are seeing in OP's video. Nowadays, the women's bars are extremely far apart, making the event seem more like men's high bar. Just look at this routine from 2017. There are more high flying release moves now, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 26, 2018 1:24 PM

Olga opened up recently in an interview, commenting on the horrible abuse American gymnasts experienced at the hands of the team doctor.

Olga said that she and other female gymnasts were groomed for sexual abuse beginning at age 9-10. She also said that she and her fellow gymnasts were physically abused. She underwent many horrors during her training and performance years.

by Anonymousreply 27January 26, 2018 1:42 PM

Who knows how many abuses those old Soviet and Romanian gymnasts had to endure at the hands of coaches back then? They were all under very strict training and dietary guidelines. Many of the American coaches, too.

by Anonymousreply 28January 26, 2018 1:49 PM

[quote]R 11 A soviet gymnast broke her neck doing a more complicated flip. They banned the move and reconfigured the bars. I saw a documentary and when the gymnast fell and realized she was paralyzed she said she was relieved not to have to compete.

Was that Elena Mukhina? I remember seeing a rare photo of her in a wheelchair. The Soviets hushed her accident up and she just vanished from view. She died in 2006.

by Anonymousreply 29January 26, 2018 1:54 PM

R29, I looked her up and yep, that's her. Here is a bar routine of hers back when she was mobile and performing dangerous tricks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 26, 2018 2:34 PM

R23, the judges were not giving 'perfect' scores back then. Nadia was the first to get a 10 in Olympic competition.

by Anonymousreply 31January 26, 2018 3:21 PM

Here is the full broadcast of the Olympic uneven bars final. Boy was that crowd upset with Olga's score!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 26, 2018 3:34 PM

I was surprised to read she actually didn't win the all around the year she became so famous. Apparently her appeal was that she was so young and cute and brought more personality to gymnastics than had previously been displayed. People fell in love with her pluckiness even though her medal total wasn't that high.

Nadia was really the one who wowed people with her skills and was the first to get the perfect scores.

by Anonymousreply 33January 26, 2018 4:13 PM

Wow OP. I haven't thought about Olga in years! She was a sensation!

by Anonymousreply 34January 26, 2018 6:39 PM

omg!

by Anonymousreply 35February 2, 2018 7:36 PM

Olga was the shit. Nadia was the poor man's Olga, but she was more controvesial, so it was more about her ( being so young so short, escaping, becoming a US citizen etc) less about sports. Nadia became very famous but never had the aura Olga had

by Anonymousreply 36February 2, 2018 7:47 PM

I saw Olga at a restaurant once and the poor dear looked a bit drunk.

by Anonymousreply 37May 5, 2018 4:32 PM

Gymnastics was incredibly boring before Olga. Compare Olga's routine to this one from just four years prior.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38May 5, 2018 4:38 PM

Love her. She's one of my favorite performers. One of the few that bring "giving it your all" to life, whatever that "it" is. Nureyev is another example, among others.

by Anonymousreply 39May 5, 2018 5:39 PM

She lacked a decent theme.

by Anonymousreply 40May 5, 2018 5:45 PM

R38, I watched a few old videos of gymnastics from back in the day and I didn't get it. Seems like they just did a lot of standing around and posing. This woman in the video below won 18 Olympic medals, and held the record until Michael Phelps beat her. So yeah, thank God for Olga.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 5, 2018 5:46 PM

R40, Nadia's theme rocks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42May 5, 2018 5:52 PM

Who is the jealous looking girl giving Nadia a bitchface throughout her routine, R42?

by Anonymousreply 43May 5, 2018 6:01 PM

Olga. For a couple weeks, she was the worlds sweetheart - shirley temple and cindy lou who wrapped in to one adorable Soviet package -- back then, everyone watched the Olympics, so there wasnt a household in America that wouldn't have taken her in to escape the red menace. I think it stunned the Soviets more than anyone - Ludmilla was supposed to be the star -- I can still remember watching her first uneven parallel bar routine --- so electric and unique!!! The floor routine was spectacular-- the impish joy was transferred to American (and world) viewers. When she returned for the 76 games, she looked like 20 miles of bad road --- i have a feeling those 4 years were filled with relentless training - and it beat that joy and wonder in her into submission

by Anonymousreply 44May 5, 2018 7:50 PM

Fuck you, R43!!

by Anonymousreply 45May 6, 2018 12:43 AM

Nadia's Theme was actually first featured in the film "Bless the Beasts and the Children" a few years prior, but I guess it was later renamed after her.

by Anonymousreply 46May 6, 2018 12:50 AM

R29, if you read about Mukhina's life, it was more than tragic. She was an orphan whose grandmother put her into gymnastics. The Soviet machine took notice of her natural abilities and put her in the training program. She was eventually paired with Viktor Klimenko, a top coach who had previously only worked with men gymnasts. After Nadia, the Soviets understood the desire for a gymnast who could perform the exciting stunts of an Olga, combined with the technical perfection of Nadia, but also with the balletic grace that was associated with Russian gymnastics. Mukhina checked all the boxes. She won the All around World Championship in 1978 over Nadia. In training after, she broke her leg but the Soviets got her out of the hospital before she was completely healed. She reinjured her leg and was hospitalized again and again, the Soviets pulled her out of the hospital before she was ready so she could train. It was likely a common occurrence within the Soviet sports system, but Mukhina had literally no one to speak for her. In 1979, the Romanians won the team competition at the World Championships and the Soviets wanted to make sure they took the team gold medal at their olympics in Moscow in 1980. Mukhina was pushed into harder training and one stunt, called a Thomas, was introduced into her floor routine. The Thomas involves several turns and spins before landing on your shoulders and back and then rolling into a standing position. Mukhina had been badly injured on the element before but one day in practice, she was told to do the stunt again after an especially hard training session. She landed face forward into the mat and broke her neck. Her thought when it happened? "I broke my neck. Good. Now I don't have to go to the Olympics."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47May 6, 2018 1:35 AM

Sad, r47!

It seems Olga and Nadia helped usher in the era of female gymnasts as pixies. Before them, the women had actual women's bodies.

by Anonymousreply 48May 6, 2018 1:49 AM

Cool tricks

by Anonymousreply 49May 6, 2018 4:13 AM

I was pluckier!

by Anonymousreply 50May 6, 2018 4:30 AM

Kerri, you were shaped like a fire hydrant.

by Anonymousreply 51May 6, 2018 5:18 AM

R47 thank you for the complete story.

by Anonymousreply 52May 6, 2018 5:27 AM

R47, I can't even begin to imagine how terrible conditions must have been in a Soviet training camp in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 53May 6, 2018 5:31 AM

I loved Olgas fun smirky smile to the camera while performing on the balance beam during ABCs Wide World of Sports opening.

by Anonymousreply 54May 6, 2018 5:50 AM

One of the most perceptive quotes about Olga came on a documentary about the Olympic boycott of 1980. "Although the Soviet sports machine is always in full gear, Olga Korbut did what no amount of propaganda could have ever done. She won the hearts of the world."

Mukhina's most famous quote: I often wished I could just lie down with no one to bother me. You should be careful what you wish for.

by Anonymousreply 55May 6, 2018 6:01 AM

She won the silver medal on balance beam, second to Nadia, at the 1976 games. This is her routine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56May 6, 2018 6:03 AM

You can compare it to Nadia's routine here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57May 6, 2018 6:03 AM

Mukhina's four routines which won her the AA title in 1978. She was the first woman to do a full twisting double back somersault on floor in artistic gymnastics and dismounted beam with a double back, which was still used in Gold Medal beam performances twenty years later.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58May 6, 2018 6:10 AM

Thanks for posting that, R58.

by Anonymousreply 59May 6, 2018 6:24 AM

Here is the woman who actually won gold in 1972, Olga's teammate Ludmilla Tourischeva. I'm meh about her and that style of gymnastics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60May 6, 2018 6:32 AM

This routine also beat Olga's for gold in the event finals, and I don't see it...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61May 6, 2018 6:40 AM

Does she menstruate?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62May 6, 2018 6:47 AM

Oh my, R62, was that for real?

by Anonymousreply 63May 6, 2018 7:25 AM

Speaking of Cathy Rigby, here is her routine that won a silver medal at the world championships. The first American woman to do so.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64May 6, 2018 8:11 AM

So Elena comes off that great showing and her coach says, we're going to make this harder.

She breaks her leg and her coaches don't think, let's let her heal. They send her out to do the more difficult stunts.

She's bullied, underfed, has a partly good leg, exhausted, under constant pressure. Ends up with a broken neck.

Poor kid. Thank you for posting her story and her performance.

by Anonymousreply 65May 6, 2018 9:29 AM

At the 1978 Worlds, Marcia Frederick beat Mukhina and Comaneci to become the first US World Champion. She did it on uneven bars.

Talk about a depressing story. Frederick alleged she was abused by her coach Rich Carlson. She said he forced her to perform oral sex on her, including the day of the Championship Finals in 1979. Her main coach, a dragon lady named Muriel Grossfeld would eventually have to fire Carlson after finding them together, but would eventually hire him back. Frederick said that when she told Grossfeld, she simply got in her car and drove away. After telling her dad, he simply stopped talking to her. He attended a ceremony for her honoring the 1980 Olympic athletes who didn't compete but left without speaking to her.

Here is her championship performance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66May 6, 2018 2:32 PM

Here's Marcia's story. This happened to a World Champion so you could imagine it happened to many others.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67May 6, 2018 2:35 PM

Sad, R67.

by Anonymousreply 68May 6, 2018 5:01 PM

Olga was an innovator, but Nadia was perfect. Seven perfect 10s in one competition! The first to ever achieve a perfect score.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69May 7, 2018 7:09 PM

Tracee Talavera. Ancient. Fell over every appartus

by Anonymousreply 70May 7, 2018 8:04 PM

lol R70! Is that a haiku?

by Anonymousreply 71May 7, 2018 8:05 PM

I wonder what Larry Nassar is doing right now?

by Anonymousreply 72May 7, 2018 8:15 PM

I love 70s gymnastics.

by Anonymousreply 73May 15, 2018 12:48 AM

Great thread. Bump.

by Anonymousreply 74November 24, 2018 9:27 PM

[quote]r29 Was that Elena Mukhina? I remember seeing a rare photo of her in a wheelchair. The Soviets hushed her accident up and she just vanished from view. She died in 2006.

There is an actual interview about the incident with the paralyzed Elena Mukhina HERE:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75November 24, 2018 10:17 PM

Women's gymnastics was so boring pre-Olga that they could compete without messing up their teased and sprayed hairdos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76November 24, 2018 10:27 PM

Saw a documentary about her 18 years ago, was fascinated.

by Anonymousreply 77November 24, 2018 10:38 PM

Elena Mukhina died at 46 after being left paralyzed most of her life, that's just horrible.

by Anonymousreply 78November 24, 2018 10:40 PM

Olga Korbut's routine on the unevens was electrifying; everybody just screamed when they saw it. When Nadia came around and got 10s, was she more technically perfect? because she wasn't nearly as interesting to watch.

by Anonymousreply 79November 24, 2018 10:54 PM

R79, it was about the flight of the Korbut flip. Nadia's release was just not as exciting even though it was more difficult. The other elements Nadia did were definitely more technically perfect so the 10s were justified. Although the event was originally about swing, all the release moves the girls are doing make the event more fan friendly.

by Anonymousreply 80November 25, 2018 1:04 AM

Olga had charisma and star quality!

by Anonymousreply 81November 25, 2018 4:23 PM

R73, me too.

by Anonymousreply 82November 25, 2018 4:23 PM

Is that Czech gymnast Vera Calavska at R76?

by Anonymousreply 83November 25, 2018 4:29 PM

Ludmila Tourischeva, Floor Exercise, 1972 Olympics.

by Anonymousreply 84November 26, 2018 6:52 PM

Ludmilla Tourescheva, Floor Exercise, 1972 Olympics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85November 26, 2018 6:55 PM

Olga Korbut, Floor Exercise, 1972 Olympics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86November 26, 2018 6:57 PM

Did Vera Caslavska's hair throw her off balance in any of the events?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87November 26, 2018 7:01 PM

Love her. Great thread. Thanks

by Anonymousreply 88November 26, 2018 7:05 PM

r28, my sisters were each into gymnastics and ice skating in the 70s. My parents made them watch the Olympics with all of the Soviet-block teams as cautionary tales about the athletes' miserable lives, how they were taken away from their families and forced to compete for the state, to make sure my sisters never took it too seriously.

by Anonymousreply 89November 26, 2018 7:20 PM

R89, that cautionary tale didn't exactly take here because the US often did the exact same things only adding serial molestation to it.

by Anonymousreply 90November 26, 2018 7:45 PM

Olga was fantastic and innovative but Nadia knew how to compete and didn't crumble under pressure.

Olga's faliure on Uneven Bars on Munich AA final must be one of the most absurd mistakes from an amazing gymnast ever

by Anonymousreply 91November 26, 2018 7:47 PM

Wasn't she being molested before and after each event? That has to effect performance : (

You have to wonder what made THAT day so different, though - -

by Anonymousreply 92November 26, 2018 8:26 PM

I remember the name from when I was a kid, but I don't think I'd ever seen these performances before. I see now why she was a sensation.

by Anonymousreply 93November 26, 2018 9:03 PM

I remember (at least I think I do) that Jim McKay described Olga's floor exercise as looking like "a happy child playing in the sun..." Perhaps it was not the clip at R86, but another one? I will check YouTube!!

by Anonymousreply 94November 26, 2018 10:49 PM

I adore the artists of the 60s and early 70s where you can totally see the ballet training of the gymnast in her floor exercise.

by Anonymousreply 95November 27, 2018 8:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!