Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

FOR SHAME! Spielberg and Kushner (no, not Jared) looking to remake West Side Story

How can you improve upon perfection? This can't be good.

There’s a place for Steven Spielberg, and apparently it’s on New York’s Upper West Side in the 1950s. A casting call has gone out for a remake of “West Side Story,” written by Pulitzer Prize winner Tony Kushner, author of Spielberg’s terrific “Lincoln” screenplay and, of course, “Angels in America.”

It’s a pro-forma casting call because, in the end, the new “West Side Story” is going to need stars. Big names. And because of the setting and the time we are in, it’s going to need actual Puerto Ricans or Latinos for the parts of characters like Maria, Anita, and Bernardo. There will be no fudging this in 2018. The casting call says in capital letters: MUST BE ABLE TO SPEAK SPANISH.

Of course, our lead, Tony, is a nice Caucasian boy who falls in love with Maria. He’ll be tougher to find because he’s got to be able to sing like crazy, be physically fit, etc. You know someone asked Can Ansel Elgort sing? Every young guy on Broadway is calling his agent or hoping to meet Spielberg at a SAG Q&A for “The Post.”

Spielberg’s not taking any chances trying to remake a classic film. He’s got the producer of the 2009 Broadway revival of “West Side Story,” Kevin McCollum, as a producer on the film. What we don’t know yet is who will be the choreographer? Susan Stroman? She’s pretty busy. This week she’s workshopping a new version of Gershwin’s “Crazy for You” set for the fall. But she’s probably at the top of Spielberg’s list.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86September 29, 2018 5:46 PM

I've created enough misery in Puerto Rico to make the movie audience taste the misery in the lyrics of 'America'.

Let it sink back in the ocean

Always the hurricanes blowing

Always the population growing

And the money owing

by Anonymousreply 1January 26, 2018 1:32 AM

You know the Sharks will be Syrian refugees, and Tony will be working for a Korean lesbian spouting bromides from a wheelchair.

by Anonymousreply 2January 26, 2018 1:37 AM

Except for Jerome Robbins' dances (and of course, the Bernstein/Sondheim score), the movie is horribly dated. Terrible book and the entire look of it is depressing. Thos teens look older than Stockard Channing in Grease.

Just hire any number of Robbins assistants to recreate his dances. They don't need Stro!

by Anonymousreply 3January 26, 2018 1:41 AM

Starring Selena Gomez as a poor DREAMER that falls in love with her "Italian" stallion Shawn Mendes!!!!

by Anonymousreply 4January 26, 2018 1:46 AM

I hate musicals. It’s just a street retelling of Romeo and Juliet. Let them do it. The original is so dated and I hate it won BP.

by Anonymousreply 5January 26, 2018 1:47 AM

Christopher Lloyd for the role of Doc

Sophia Vergra for the role of Consuelo

Lens Dunham for Anybodys

by Anonymousreply 6January 26, 2018 2:07 AM

won't be watching

by Anonymousreply 7January 26, 2018 2:27 AM

No, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 8January 26, 2018 12:14 PM

I have never seen, on screen or live, a good Tony. The role is always played by a wimp, someone a gang would never follow. Maybe it's the way the role is written, but it's one part that has left me cold.

by Anonymousreply 9January 26, 2018 12:34 PM

[quote]It’s just a street retelling of Romeo and Juliet.

Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 10January 26, 2018 12:46 PM

I'd rather watch the TV special where Cher played all the parts.

by Anonymousreply 11January 26, 2018 12:52 PM

Susan Stroman is the greatest beneficiary of the AIDS crisis. If all the most talented and promising choreographers and directors had not be wiped out for a period of 15 years, that hack Susan Stroman would have never gotten out of dinner theater. A great outpouring of sympathy when her well-loved and more talented husband died of leukemia furthered things along greatly. Her work runs from horrible to competent. Not better. Never better.

by Anonymousreply 12January 26, 2018 1:02 PM

The real shame will be the score... instead of overtones of Puccini, the orchestrations will have an urban ghetto vibe and the singing will have the obligatory caterwauling.

by Anonymousreply 13January 26, 2018 1:14 PM

The recording sessions with Kiri Te Kanawa (Maria), José Carreras (Tony), Tatiana Troyanos (Anita) and Kurt Ollmann (Riff), conducted by Leonard Bernstein1984 is absolute joy. The score done with pure singers, no dancing, no visuals. Wonderful recording and highly recommended.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 26, 2018 1:25 PM

Yes, it's dated. So what. It's a classic and the choreography and the music were magic but so were the performers. When I think of that opening sequence and the ballet it was just beautiful. I think remaking it with some ass like Zac Efron as Tony or Riff is stomach churning. And who can outdo Rita Moreno as Anita? No one certainly not all these anemic, bland little nobodies! Yes, they'd use Latinas and they should but if I'm not mistaken, they used latinas in the movie too. Aside from Natalie Wood and George Chakiris, the Sharks were Latino dancers, many from the original Broadway production. And there is no one who can replace Tucker Smith as Ice. Fine if they're going to remake it at least let Russ Tamblyn play Doc. Honestly I really hope this dies. I do not want Spielberg touching it. there are a lot of stories to tell, and he should go look for them.

by Anonymousreply 15January 26, 2018 1:33 PM

Spielberg is the wrong director for this. His only talent lately has been for creating self important duds.

No current choreographer can outdo Jerome Robbins' original choreography. Hopefully they will hire someone with a talent for recreating/adapting/amplifying the original choreography with minimal revisions.

The music is important. Bernstein reportedly loved Stan Kenton's take on WSS (w/arrangements by Johnny Richards). It needs to be jazz and brass and it needs to be pumping !

And for God's sake hire talented and young singer/dancers. No one over 24 ! And yes, real Latinos.

by Anonymousreply 16January 26, 2018 1:40 PM

I wonder if Damien Chazelle would be right for this. The dance segments in La La Land were modest but not without charm.

by Anonymousreply 17January 26, 2018 2:14 PM

Can David Archuleta have a role please? He can sing and he has a pristine hole. Sure, he's a bit fey, but he can butch it up!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 26, 2018 2:22 PM

He'd make a wonderful Maria.

by Anonymousreply 19January 26, 2018 2:23 PM

I think the OP may have hit on a great idea.

Jared Kushner as Tony.

by Anonymousreply 20January 26, 2018 2:26 PM

So it's settled then. Jared Kushner as Tony, David Archuleta as Maria.

Who plays Riff?

by Anonymousreply 21January 26, 2018 3:20 PM

[/bold]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 26, 2018 4:25 PM

They are doing an open casting call for Tony, Maria, Anita and Bernardo.

by Anonymousreply 23January 26, 2018 4:49 PM

Zac Efron as Riff. Seriously He sings! He dances! And here's a brilliant idea:How about Justin Bieber as Tony and Selena Gomez, his real life girlfriend as Maria. She sings She dances!he sings! he dances!

by Anonymousreply 24January 26, 2018 5:14 PM

Jared Kushner as Anybodys, or Joy Boy.

by Anonymousreply 25January 26, 2018 6:44 PM

A lesbian with a cane as Anybodys

by Anonymousreply 26January 26, 2018 6:53 PM

Terrible idea, and I say that as someone who obsessively loves the score, and who thinks the original film could be improved upon!

Modern audiences aren't in tune with the semi-operatic style of the score, but they can't change or update the score because it's what elevates it from a rip-off of Shakespear to a classic musical. They also can't update the setting, because modern hoods don't sing opera, and they do worse things than carry knives and smoke the odd reefer. So... do modern audiences really want to see the juvenile delinquents of the 1950s singing operatic music?

by Anonymousreply 27January 26, 2018 10:20 PM

Only if they can update the dated fucking choreography.

by Anonymousreply 28January 26, 2018 11:07 PM

Are they going to use the Lin-Manuel Spanish lyrics from the most recent revival?

by Anonymousreply 29January 27, 2018 1:02 AM

[quote]And who can outdo Rita Moreno as Anita?

Fuck you, you fat stupid PUTA!

by Anonymousreply 30January 27, 2018 1:02 AM

The pairing of Spielberg and Kushner reeks of 'prestige piece' and promises only dullness. They need to find a collaborator/director who understands melodrama and has a gift for bringing out the erotic, both homo and hetero. Spielberg's take on sex has always been adolescent at best.

by Anonymousreply 31February 14, 2018 12:35 PM

Sadly the only role David is right for is the Adam Archuleta Story.

Ansel isn’t a bad idea. I don’t know it means he can sing or not but he does have a recording contract (they sampled some of his music on Vice News) and he moved like Gene Kelly in Baby Driver.

by Anonymousreply 32February 14, 2018 12:51 PM

Of course they must cast Rita Monera as Great Granny. Surely there is a role called Great Granny.

by Anonymousreply 33February 14, 2018 12:53 PM

So this is supposed to take place in the 1950's?

Well this is all wrong in about 100 different ways.

Spielberg and Tony Kushner (especially him - dear God) and with absolutely no connection to youth or poor living have no reason to go anywhere near this property. At least Sondheim and Bernstein were in their twenties and thirties and had a connection to then-everyday New York life. But these rich old Jewish senior citizens? Please.

by Anonymousreply 34February 14, 2018 1:04 PM

Remaking WSS is about the worst idea I've seen lately. But as for melodrama, Spielberg's movies are drenched in it.

by Anonymousreply 35February 14, 2018 1:37 PM

They don't need to do this.

Please don't

by Anonymousreply 36February 14, 2018 1:49 PM

Am I the only one who thinks this is a good idea? At least the cast will be naturally diverse not forced like most movies nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 37February 14, 2018 1:56 PM

I wish they would leave this alone, too, but just fyi [R34], Sondheim has often said that he knew nothing about everyday New York life, and even less about Puerto Ricans (I'm sure Lenny claimed intimate knowledge of both, but really.). They relied on Laurents to bring a "street" sensibility to the book; surely Kushner can't be any worse.

by Anonymousreply 38February 14, 2018 1:57 PM

I just think there is no need to film this again. Why is Hollywood bringing back classics and trying to make better versions? Today’s film makers simply cannot do it better.

by Anonymousreply 39February 14, 2018 2:01 PM

Amen, R39.

(Can a Quentino Tarantino remake of Sound of Music be far behind?)

by Anonymousreply 40February 14, 2018 3:24 PM

These filmmakers ought to try coming up with some original material.

by Anonymousreply 41February 14, 2018 4:40 PM

Well, but sometimes a classic does get very dated. I was watching the original version of The Producers a few months ago. I remember thinking it was hilarious the first time I saw it...about 20 yrs ago.Now it's simply embarrassing. But I don't think WSS falls in that category.IMO they need to let be.

by Anonymousreply 42February 14, 2018 4:45 PM

Up next: Paul Thomas Anderson's "Song of Norway."

by Anonymousreply 43February 14, 2018 5:01 PM

R38, Sondheim SAYS he may not have had that intimate sensibility but he had youth, which is why I emphasized that as a key ingredient lacking from the men working on it now.

Oh and in regard to Sondheim's professed lack of familiarity with "everyday New York life" - well that cute and oh so convenient. He sure knew how to listen well though, didn't he? But if Chita Rivera is not complaining, then so be it.

by Anonymousreply 44February 14, 2018 6:18 PM

Quentin’s version the nuns get raped shot 100times with machine guns.

by Anonymousreply 45February 14, 2018 7:10 PM

@ [R35]. For my money, his take on it feels more like mellowdrama.

by Anonymousreply 46February 14, 2018 7:11 PM

Have all the writers died? no one can come up with anything for the screen or tv?

by Anonymousreply 47February 14, 2018 7:13 PM

So, will Tony still be Italian? Or will political correctness insist on a change?

As for the urban feel? Spielberg grew up in suburban Arizona - think the setting of Poltergeist.

by Anonymousreply 48February 14, 2018 7:22 PM

[quote]mellowdrama

I bet those are great in s'mores!

by Anonymousreply 49February 14, 2018 7:25 PM

[quote]So, will Tony still be Italian?

Tony is POLISH, dummy.

by Anonymousreply 50February 14, 2018 7:46 PM

Even less politically correct.

by Anonymousreply 51February 14, 2018 7:47 PM

The SJWs are going to have a fit.

by Anonymousreply 52February 14, 2018 9:17 PM

I'd like more of the "Classics" to be remade. Many of the original musicals done in the 1940's thru the early 1960's are really outdated and the sets all look pretty drab. Some beg to be remade because the originals were just awful. I'd love to see a remake of "A Chorus Line" for example...this time with bigger stars in most of the roles, but we might have to wait for Michael Douglas to die.

by Anonymousreply 53February 14, 2018 9:52 PM

[quote]The casting call says in capital letters: MUST BE ABLE TO SPEAK SPANISH.

It should also say WE'RE NOT LOOKING FOR A BERNARDO.

by Anonymousreply 54February 14, 2018 10:03 PM

And don't forget Lost Horizon r53!

by Anonymousreply 55February 14, 2018 10:07 PM

Points taken about Sondheim's youth and his ability to listen.

by Anonymousreply 56February 14, 2018 10:37 PM

I'm not sure a remake is needed at all, but the original is far from flawless. Richard Beymer (who is just fine on Twin Peaks) was a terrible Tony. And he knows it. To the point where he refuses to discuss it, or show up to reunions. Natalie Wood is pretty and just ok as Maria.

That the film is still a classic despite having this handicap is a tribute to Rita Moreno, George Chakiris, Jerry Robbins, and the dancers in the cast. They, and the songs, elevate it to classic status.

by Anonymousreply 57February 14, 2018 10:46 PM

Tony is Polish-American.

by Anonymousreply 58February 15, 2018 12:22 AM

Movie Casting news-

[quote] Liam Payne (of One Direction) in advanced talks to star in Steven Spielberg remake of musical West Side Story

[quote] Casting agents have been ordered to find singers between the ages of 15 and 25 who can also dance, while also being able to deliver lines. Liam sees the opportunity to work with Spielberg as an exciting prospect and one too good to turn down.

[quote] Liam’s role is believed to be in the Jets gang who have an ongoing ­tension with the Sharks, made up of Puerto Rican immigrants.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59September 24, 2018 10:55 PM

[quote] Steven Spielberg is reportedly hoping to start filming his West Side Story remake in July 2019.

Why Spielberg is doing it-

[quote] "Well, you know something, West Side Story is one of my favorite Broadway musicals and one of the greatest pieces of musical literature, my goodness, one of the greatest scores and (it has) some of the greatest lyrics ever written for a musical...."

by Anonymousreply 60September 24, 2018 10:59 PM

They'll send out a big casting call, but I bet most of the leading roles will go to established names or people with at least some following. It always seems to work out that way.

by Anonymousreply 61September 24, 2018 11:00 PM

Is this Jared Kushner's brother? Well, he is also involved with forcing out rent controlled residents illegally. FUCK THEM CUNTS!!!

by Anonymousreply 62September 24, 2018 11:13 PM

I'm intrigued. West Side Story is my favorite, love the 1961 movie, and have seen it on stage... most recently, a local theater. I'll definitely go see the new movie version.

by Anonymousreply 63September 24, 2018 11:40 PM

[quote]Of course, our lead, Tony, is a nice Caucasian boy who falls in love with Maria. He’ll be tougher to find because he’s got to be able to sing like crazy, be physically fit, etc.

Shawn Mendes

by Anonymousreply 64September 24, 2018 11:53 PM

I wonder if people realize that a lot of times the emotions people feel for a movie are because of the times they are living in. WWS can never be the same because it was a different time. There were gangs but not near as violent as today. No one today glorifies gangs which they kind of did in WWS.

by Anonymousreply 65September 25, 2018 12:15 AM

If they're looking for a young man with a doofy face and lack of muscle tone but without proven singing or dancing skills, then Ansel Elgort would be perfect! He grew up in NYC, too!

by Anonymousreply 66September 25, 2018 3:32 AM

It would have to be hip hoppy right?

by Anonymousreply 67September 25, 2018 4:05 AM

Does anyone else think that this remake in 2018 - 2019 will be seen as making lite of gang warfare?

Good for high school productions, maybe, where there are real Hispanics in the musical theater program.

by Anonymousreply 68September 25, 2018 4:43 AM

[quote]Good for high school productions, maybe, where there are real Hispanics in the musical theater program.

Is he making a play or a movie?

by Anonymousreply 69September 25, 2018 4:52 AM

[quote]How can you improve upon perfection?

Full frontal nudity.

by Anonymousreply 70September 25, 2018 4:53 AM

This sounds like a disaster. A politically correct, dulled to death, EARNEST West Side Story! How can it fail!???

Hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 71September 25, 2018 4:56 AM

A contemporary remake would be:

The gangs fight, They shoot each other. Everybody dies.

THE END.

by Anonymousreply 72September 25, 2018 5:13 AM

[quote]"Well, you know something, West Side Story is one of my favorite Broadway musicals and one of the greatest pieces of musical literature, my goodness, one of the greatest scores and (it has) some of the greatest lyrics ever written for a musical…."

My first thought on this was, 'Well, why don't you just leave well alone then? We have the original cast album, the film, and Bernstein's 80s recording. How can you possibly improve on all that by the originators, even though you're Spielberg?'

Then I thought that the work is such a masterpiece that it can of course stand re-interpreting by lesser geniuses. If Spielberg wants to pay his homage then so be it. He knows what he's taking on, and the comprehensive analysis and comparison he will provoke. Let's see what such vaulting ambition might achieve.

by Anonymousreply 73September 25, 2018 5:50 AM

For me, it's not so much about the plot (a little outdated and corny for today), but the music and the dancing.

by Anonymousreply 74September 25, 2018 11:02 AM

I love the original film but would really be interested in seeing it remade. Actually any classic musical remade on the big screen. The live tv events are sort of blah and half assed for me so I'd like something going full tilt. Better than yet another Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, King Kong, Amityville, Halloween.

by Anonymousreply 75September 25, 2018 11:39 AM

Oh brother.

by Anonymousreply 76September 25, 2018 11:54 AM

Can you even imagine how inclusive it will be? The gay couple, the biracial couple, the gay biracial couple....an orgy of careful political correctness.

by Anonymousreply 77September 25, 2018 12:45 PM

Spielberg has not made a decent movie in years. His remake, if it ever happens, will be scrupulously politically correct but boring and bland. He's lost the touch of fire and creativity he once had.

by Anonymousreply 78September 25, 2018 4:03 PM

[quote]Of course, our lead, Tony, is a nice Caucasian boy who falls in love with Maria. He’ll be tougher to find because he’s got to be able to sing like crazy, be physically fit, etc.

Since when is Maria NOT Caucasian?

by Anonymousreply 79September 25, 2018 5:13 PM

This whole situation reminds me of Bette Midler's great wisecrack about "Lost Horizon": "I never miss a Liv Ullmann musical."

I'd never dream of missing a Steven Spielberg musical.....

by Anonymousreply 80September 29, 2018 5:06 PM

I wan't a part of this project. The set will be a buffet of hotties.

by Anonymousreply 81September 29, 2018 5:14 PM

Let me guess. They're going to make it "gritty" and "dark" because that is the standard now in Hollywood. I'm not a fan of the original, but at least it had some charm.

by Anonymousreply 82September 29, 2018 5:15 PM

Olivia Cooke as Natalie Wood as Maria

Lana Del Rey as Maria's singing voice

by Anonymousreply 83September 29, 2018 5:19 PM

There going to cast an afro latino as Maria and some guido looking twunk as Tony.

by Anonymousreply 84September 29, 2018 5:21 PM

[quote]I'd never dream of missing a Steven Spielberg musical.....

How about a Francis Ford Coppola musical?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85September 29, 2018 5:22 PM

Why can't they remake a movie musical that actually needs a remake like Gypsy or Mame? This seems like it'd be better served as one of those NBC live musicals.

by Anonymousreply 86September 29, 2018 5:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!