Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How much does a vacation in Paris cost?

We’re middle-aged, need comfortable but not luxurious accommodations, and are interested in architecture, art and food/wine. Maybe a little shopping. Want to stay a 7-10 days.

by Anonymousreply 276January 30, 2018 12:16 AM

Dining out is the expensive part. Fine dining in Paris is hella expensive - say USD$300 per person.

As in New York, the high-end restaurants are booked way in advance, so start looking at reservations now.

I got a decent enough hotel for USD$90 a night. Venere.com will help you find good hotel deals.

Others can probably give you a good idea about how expensive shopping in Paris can be.

by Anonymousreply 1January 25, 2018 2:35 PM

Bring some Febreze because the smell of urine is everywhere

by Anonymousreply 2January 25, 2018 2:36 PM

I should also add that there's tons of good restaurants in Paris that won't bankrupt you.

by Anonymousreply 3January 25, 2018 2:38 PM

Don't book a hotel, go for an apartment on VRBO, many nice options for 150.00 per night or less. Always study the reviews, go with the highest number of views.

by Anonymousreply 4January 25, 2018 2:45 PM

[quote]Dining out is the expensive part. Fine dining in Paris is hella expensive - say USD$300 per person.

Fuck fine dining. Go to the brasserie on the corner in your neighborhood.

Go to flunch. People here say "gurl, please" about flunch. But I love it. It's buffet/cafeteria style and very French and I love it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 25, 2018 2:47 PM

The Best Western chain has fantastic European properties and well priced. Its not like BW here in the US (which are getting better, BTW) and go off season for good airfare and rates. Summer is a madhouse! Go to BW website for listings

by Anonymousreply 6January 25, 2018 2:48 PM

[quote]Don't book a hotel, go for an apartment on VRBO, many nice options for 150.00 per night or less. Always study the reviews, go with the highest number of views.

Nonsense. Who can be bothered with that hassle? They're two middle-aged queens.

by Anonymousreply 7January 25, 2018 2:49 PM

VRBO is not a hassle. I booked a place in Montmartre on VRBO and was very happy with it.

For a first trip, I would try to stay in any of arrondissements 1-4. If using VRBO, I agree, rely on the reviews.

by Anonymousreply 8January 25, 2018 2:54 PM

I've often found the Mercure hotel chain to be more than satisfactory.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 25, 2018 2:55 PM

"How much does a vacation in Paris cost?"

Too much for you shitty, trashy Americans.

Stay home and don't bother us.

by Anonymousreply 10January 25, 2018 2:59 PM

I was there last summer and found it surprisingly inexpensive to eat (the most expensive restaurant we ate at was similar to an expensive restaurant here in LA and there are tons on inexpensive options). and (especially) drink

by Anonymousreply 11January 25, 2018 3:02 PM

Unlike r10 I also found the French surprisingly friendly.

by Anonymousreply 12January 25, 2018 3:03 PM

What I learned by visiting Paris: *I flew first class. It was nice to have a place to lay down and sleep. But the flight is only about 8 or 9 hours from USA. Schedule your flight during waking hours, fly coach, and save some money on airfare. (On the way back, I didn't sleep at all and didn't need the comforts of first class.) *I stayed in a top rated hotel in the Spanish Quarter that was in my budget. Next time, the location of the hotel will be more important than how nice it is. In general, you just need a hotel that is safe, clean, and has everything you need. In Paris, you will not be hanging out in your hotel -- there is too much to do and see. If it is your first time, consider staying near the Champs-Elysee in one of the recognizable chain hotels. While there take a look at other hotels you might like for your next visit. (Or, after arriving, find a hotel you like after seeing it in person, and see if you can switch your reservations without a cancellation fee.) *There are many great restaurants, but you don't have to have fine dining every day. There are many bistros and street cafes that serve great food, and cheap. *Get the "museum package deal" that lets you go to all the museums you want for a set period of time. It might seem expensive, but you'll wind up saving money in the long run, since some museums are more interesting than others.

by Anonymousreply 13January 25, 2018 3:04 PM

[quote]Unlike [R10] I also found the French surprisingly friendly.

They probably weren't French.

OR you spoke French with a fantastic fake French accent.

by Anonymousreply 14January 25, 2018 3:04 PM

VRBO and AirBNB are good if you want to save on dining out but since you say you are interested in food and wine I would think you don't need a whole apartment. For me personally, staying in a really nice hotel is part of the vacation experience, so I don't like to scrimp on that.

by Anonymousreply 15January 25, 2018 3:06 PM

[quote] But the flight is only about 8 or 9 hours from USA.

ONLY?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 25, 2018 3:07 PM

[quote]They probably weren't French.

I was there for three weeks. You think I didn’t speak to any French people? *rolls eyes*

by Anonymousreply 17January 25, 2018 3:07 PM

A 9 hour flight to Paris is nothing, ya pussies.

by Anonymousreply 18January 25, 2018 3:09 PM

did anyone here see Frances ha ?

she goes to Paris for the weekend. she's so exhausted she crashes out in her hotel room and sleeps through most of the weekend - wakes up and realizes he has about 4 hours left. lol.

by Anonymousreply 19January 25, 2018 3:11 PM

Op we stayed at the Hotel Notre Dame - The rooms are small but they’re clean; comfortable and pretty inexpensive. This was our view and the the noise surprisingly wasn’t bad. It was a great introduction to the City as I hadn’t been before.

I definitely agree about getting the muesem three day pass

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 25, 2018 3:15 PM

I only have 2 experiences of paris. Being a poor student, and 10 years later, living with and working for a billionaire business family. Both were amazing. The food is quite good at the budget and high end. I don't know about the value in the middle. The opera can be 200 or more per ticket. If you are interested in luxury French brand shopping, go during the SALES, obviously. Many Paris neighbourhoods are great in the summer - very quiet - only the tourist centres are mobbed. Its hot though. Its nice to take lazy day trips in the summer. I only lived there for weeks or months at a time. I don't like fitting in lots of activities everyday. Paris is one of those cities where people think they need to see or visit a lot but in fact there are so many high quality experiences available that you could just do 1 or 2 things a day and savour them, and spend the rest of the time soaking in the ambience and hopefully fucking your partner. If you aren't going to be fucking, don't even bother going. French culture is logical and brilliant if you are FUCKING daily and eating well. Even more so than in Italy, because the french can be "friendly" but remain coldish in affect.

by Anonymousreply 21January 25, 2018 3:15 PM

To clarify that was the view from the window on the third floor taken from third or fourth floor without any zoom

by Anonymousreply 22January 25, 2018 3:17 PM

Enjoying a quality stay in Paris is expensive. If you can afford it, or even for only a couple nights of your stay, I would definitely recommend Pavillon Henri IV. Gorgeous vista for breakfast, and Louis XIV was born here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 25, 2018 3:17 PM

Totally agree about the great restaurants ; you can get grate food for 1/4 the price at so many less expensive dining establishments. All that extra money isn't worth it unless you're super rich. Everybody goes to Chartier (Metro: Grandes Boulevardes), reasonable, and the waiters write the bills on the paper tablecloths. The Rue Moufetard on the Left Bank is crammed with medium priced restaurants. And always check the plat du jour.

by Anonymousreply 24January 25, 2018 3:18 PM

Pretty true what R21 said. For some reason I've always fucked the most in France, and possibly the most in Paris.

by Anonymousreply 25January 25, 2018 3:19 PM

OK, foodies, list your restaurants.

by Anonymousreply 26January 25, 2018 3:33 PM

I was there last October and actually was surprised how inexpensive it was compared to New York. I had an AirBNB in the Marais the first week for USD 100 a night which I shared with a friend. The follow week I had a small hotel for about 50 USD which I found on Hotwire. The room was cozy but fine.

by Anonymousreply 27January 25, 2018 3:37 PM

I went in late June 2013 for a week. My trip cost about $5200. I used public transit almost the entire time & saved money with the Paris Pass. I stayed in the 15th arrond., Grenelle neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 28January 25, 2018 3:38 PM

I would say the French are reserved rather than cold. Manners are important. Greet everyone with Bonjour/Bon soir madam/mme/monsieur, and be generous with “merci” and you should have few problems. I encountered no one who was rude.

by Anonymousreply 29January 25, 2018 3:45 PM

What's a "vacation"?

by Anonymousreply 30January 25, 2018 4:12 PM

...when you go someplace and the sand looks different.

by Anonymousreply 31January 25, 2018 4:30 PM

Agree with VRBO /Homeaway rentals being a great option. We saved money by eating out at lunch and then using the kitchen most nights. Remarkable produce and you can really taste the difference with the non GMO/free range/non antibiotic meat. Chicken actually tasted like something! We stayed in the 11e, just to the east of the Marais-- significantly cheaper rentals and just a few blocks away

by Anonymousreply 32January 25, 2018 4:36 PM

That's 4 years of vacation and I live in Paris, R28.

by Anonymousreply 33January 25, 2018 4:40 PM

Cannot stand the idea of going on vacation and having to cook for myself “to save money” while staying in someone else’s apartment.

“Shopping” is meaningless these days since everywhere sells the same stuff as anywhere else. Dining in Paris is no more special than any other big city, for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 34January 25, 2018 4:41 PM

Yes, please share your inexpensive restaurants with good food.

I have read that in Paris, the cuter the cafe, the bigger the tourist trap.

by Anonymousreply 35January 25, 2018 4:44 PM

Best Western Atlantic Hotel 3 stars, across from the Gate St Lazare and near the Opera and the Madeline.

by Anonymousreply 36January 25, 2018 4:48 PM

[quote]Cannot stand the idea of going on vacation and having to cook for myself “to save money” while staying in someone else’s apartment.

me, neither.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37January 25, 2018 4:49 PM

I remember going to Paris when the Eurostar first opened. Left my cases in my room. Hit the street. Who was the first person I saw? Catherine Deneuve! Trying to hail a taxi. It was like going to New York and the first person you see is Woody Allen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38January 25, 2018 4:54 PM

NYC has a wider variety of cuisines at many price points. The praise for food in Paris is FRENCH food. For example, 6 or 8 table restaurants inside the neighbourhoods with menus, where average folks eat. There is cheap good "ethnic" food but the OP is middle aged and middle class. luxury food is the same in all international cities. I believe luxury is for multi millionaires and billionaires, cause for them the price is nominal, like the nominal price for me when I buy a falafel.

by Anonymousreply 39January 25, 2018 5:02 PM

About a year or so ago I went to Paris with an old friend I grew up with who became insanely rich in, of all things, the paper industry.

We stayed at the Four Seasons also known as the George V and it was the most insanely decadent experience of my life. Never in my sad, upper middle class life have I been exposed to such amazing luxury. We stayed in the Royal Suite and it was breathtaking. When I die I think I want to be cremated and sprinkled in the courtyard gardens of this hotel.

by Anonymousreply 40January 25, 2018 5:05 PM

Stay at Hotel Original in Bastille. It abuts the Marais. Restaurants locals eat in are not expensive. I went last May for 7 days and it was $1,800 air/hotel. This hotel is the best location you can hope for. Bastille metro is steps away and the rooms are AMAZINGLY themed.

by Anonymousreply 41January 25, 2018 5:07 PM

OK, so name some of these French restaurants, please.

by Anonymousreply 42January 25, 2018 5:08 PM

The Original is fantastic! I really enjoyed my stay there.

by Anonymousreply 43January 25, 2018 5:14 PM

If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

by Anonymousreply 44January 25, 2018 5:21 PM

Now for a stupid question. I don't speak French. I did take it in middle school, but that is a long time ago. I can read some of it. Will I still get okay service in a moderately priced restaurant where locals eat every day fare? Should I take French classes before going? My pronunciation will be soooo bad.

by Anonymousreply 45January 25, 2018 5:24 PM

From a French friend's recommendations in 2011, somebody who really knows Paris restaurants:

Never go to a restaurant before 8pm. it will get you immediate respect from the waiters :) they will think you're a socially advanced american :)

Le Beau Violet: Corsican in the 15th. 92 Rue des Entrepreneurs. Not to miss. the owner is always drunk. the restaurant is tiny. the food typical. around 35-40 euros per person.

L'agrume: 15 Rue des Fossés Saint-Marcel. This restaurant is among the 5 best fixed price menu in Paris per the NYT. menu is 38 and with wine, it's gonna be around 55/60. as close as you can get from an excellent restaurant for cheap price.

Lucas Carton: 9 Place de la Madeleine. ex-3 star who returned the stars in order to be cheaper. you should still count 120 euros per person with wine. in la madeleine area.

Fontana Rossa: 28 Boulevard Garibaldi. high end italian (from sardigna). quite expensive but really excellent.

Vagenende: 142 Boulevard Saint-Germain. Brasserie in the center of paris. the typical french style brasserie

by Anonymousreply 46January 25, 2018 5:25 PM

r45, brush up online to at least make an effort and to have an idea of what you are ordering.

by Anonymousreply 47January 25, 2018 5:28 PM

R45: Speaking a little French definitely helps. Enough to at least ask nicely for things.

As noted above, remember to do greetings: always say "bonjour/bon soir monsieur/madame" when entering a store, and the shop person will be MUCH nicer. Always refer to them as "monsieur/madame" and be generous with "merci".

by Anonymousreply 48January 25, 2018 5:28 PM

" we're middle age"... Don't come sir, thanks

by Anonymousreply 49January 25, 2018 5:41 PM

Also, if asking where the restroom is say "Ou sont les toilettes" and not "Ou est la salle de bain" as I was taught in high school french and was mercilessly laughed at by a cute garcon. Also, do not call a waiter garcon.

by Anonymousreply 50January 25, 2018 5:41 PM

The people who say eating in Paris is the same as anywhere else are wrong. You will love the flavors and the freshness.

by Anonymousreply 51January 25, 2018 5:46 PM

When admiring the bulge of a young french man, just point your parasol at said bulge and exclaim "Oooh La La!"

by Anonymousreply 52January 25, 2018 6:08 PM

Absolutely R35. The places that focus on the looks usually will have lower quality and choice, be it food, or whatever other product they are selling. Usually middle-of-the-rooad, bland places for flyovers. And, of course, expensive - or in any case too much for what they're selling.

by Anonymousreply 53January 25, 2018 6:16 PM

How do you do you say "Gurl, please..." in French?

Or do they have their own equivalent.

by Anonymousreply 54January 25, 2018 6:16 PM

Generally speaking, English on the menu is a bad sign. It's more convenient of course, but a sign that the place is a bit touristy.

I still remember the restaurant in central Milan with this GINORMOUS sign above saying in English, "ITALIAN FOOD". Didn't eat there.

by Anonymousreply 55January 25, 2018 6:19 PM

It's cheap. You can work your way over by playing in a band on the boat. Once you're there find a guy on the street to exchange your American dollars. You get better rates and wear burlap dresses, which are all the rage.

by Anonymousreply 56January 25, 2018 6:42 PM

Learn to say “do you speak English?” and “too bad” when they inevitably say no. Be willing to walk out

by Anonymousreply 57January 25, 2018 6:56 PM

I was raised in Paris. Once I saw a very good looking strange man wandering about, looking everywhere like a tourist. Muscular, dark, handsome. Followed him silently to a hotel. He was american. I had guess by the way he was carrting himself. Very easy, long stride. Another handsome man was asleep on the bed. The dark stranger and I undressed. He was marvelous. Super fit and super hairy. He fucked me senseless. We didn't speak much. Fabulous

by Anonymousreply 58January 25, 2018 6:59 PM

R52 In France it is Oh La La! Not OOOH.

by Anonymousreply 59January 25, 2018 7:09 PM

Fille, S'il vous plat - gurl. please. Don't know the local idioms.

by Anonymousreply 60January 25, 2018 7:12 PM

Been there at least six times. You can do it for $5-6k per trip. Get a hotel with a mini-fridge. Don’t eat every meal out. Plenty of street food. We rented an apartment for two weeks and the entire trip was about $6k.

by Anonymousreply 61January 25, 2018 7:15 PM

OMG r40 - that room is $20-30,000 / night. You can't even book it on the website. You have to call. Their other suites aren't "that bad" in comparison, so I actually called months back to ask about the ones that require a verbal reservation. That's just an insane amount to spend on a night in a hotel room, but I guess if you have unlimited funds, it could be worth it.

I'm very interested in eating French pastries and desserts (once I finish my keto diet and lose 10 lbs and then can gain it back & still wear the same pants)... but I can get so much of that here. I told someone I was thinking about going to Paris and they said "just go to Saudi Arabia" which I think is BS. Yes, there are more hijabs there than ever but it's not a muslim country.

I figure I will spend money on the flight and the food... the hotel isn't as important. Are French men slutty enough to come to your hotel off those apps or no?

by Anonymousreply 62January 25, 2018 7:30 PM

One thing I found useful:

"Je regarde!"

=

I'm just looking!

If they bother you in a shop.

by Anonymousreply 63January 25, 2018 7:55 PM

My last trip to Paris was 3 years ago. It was my first time going solo and I loved it! I stayed at a studio in Montmartre I rented from Airbnb. It was beautifully decorated and the neighborhood was lovely. No tourists, just locals. I immediately felt at home. I do speak French but was very rusty however by the end of my two week trip I was much improved. I even had a French tourist come up and ask me for directions! I was born in the Caribbean and have a French name so I don’t think I stood out.

These are some restaurants I would recommend, most are neighborhood hangouts and not expensive. I found them while walking around.

Le Cépage - Montmartre

Le Dauphin- Montmartre

Le Sévigné - Le Marais

La Petite Place - Le Marais

Cafe Cassette - Saint Germain Des Pres

La Maison Rose - Montmartre

La Rosa Bonheur - Buttes Chaumont

The last two are touristy but I enjoyed them!

by Anonymousreply 64January 25, 2018 11:30 PM

I'll add "Abelard", Left Bank near the Seine. Ate there twice. Excellent, high class but totally unpretentious.

BUT THE ONE NOT TO MISS, BECAUSE OF THE VIEW:

La Tour D'Argent! Ask the Maitre'D if you can go to the roof for a photo (I did!) Nothing beats Notre Dame as a backdrop!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65January 25, 2018 11:39 PM

One more place

Le Brio in Montmartre. It was up the street from my apartment. Cute neighborhood place, very friendly people.

by Anonymousreply 66January 25, 2018 11:40 PM

I went in May 2017 solo for the first time. At the end of my trip I really didn't want to leave. Wonderful people, Marcon was just elected, I was there for Bastille Day and I just loved it. I would move there in retirement if I were healthier. I was afraid at first to go solo because of that, but it never figured in. The Marais is heaven to me.

by Anonymousreply 67January 25, 2018 11:44 PM

r46 and r64, thank you for the restaurant recs! Keep them coming!

by Anonymousreply 68January 25, 2018 11:46 PM

I still think the Marais is the best place to stay, especially for neophytes. Probably not value for money, probably a bit touristy, but convenient to everything and a real concentration of the Paris magic we’re all there for.

by Anonymousreply 69January 25, 2018 11:51 PM

r69 I mentioned upthread that Hotel Original, on the edge of Bastille literally across Boulevard Beaumarchais from the Marias , is the greatest place to stay to experience the Marais. And the Bastille metro is steps away. One day I went to Chartres and it was so easy to connect at Montparnasse.

by Anonymousreply 70January 26, 2018 12:00 AM

Yes, you have to speak some French. Most hotels are in the middle of residential neighborhoods & many locals don't speak much English. During the time I was there, I had to communicate with a mailman, bus drivers & a patisserie employee - all spoke no English. Here are some easy sayings:

Je voudrais.... - I would like.... Combien? - How much? Desolee. Je n'ai sais pas. - Sorry. I don't know. Pardon - Pardon, Excuse me Ou est....?. - Where is....?

by Anonymousreply 71January 26, 2018 12:29 AM

It is important to learn if you are a Left Bank or Right Bank kind of guy...

by Anonymousreply 72January 26, 2018 12:39 AM

Ah Paris. Spent 10 days 3 weeks post the Brussels bombing and tourism was 2/3 down (no waiting to get in the Louvre!) . Stayed in the 17th with AirBnB, where it was mostly young families and walked/Metroed everywhere. I didn't speak any French (with the exception of "Merci Beaucoup, S'il vous plaît, Excusez est moi, Pardon moi- Parlez vous Anglais?" and got along fine. The French were surprisingly civil, but I don't know if it's because of the lack of tourists, or we tried very hard not to be loud rude Americans. I would recommend looking up restaurants on Yelp, as it's been already 2 years since I've been there. Yelp was 85% spot on for restaurant recs. It will also help you to determine if you need rsvps, if they take only cash, and hours opened/closed- they don't operate like American restos.

Beware of groups of attractive girls asking for directions- they can be pickpockets

Okay I've checked, and am pleased to find that this restaurant is still operating: Comptoir de la Gastronomie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73January 26, 2018 12:40 AM

I stayed at a cute French hotel in the Marais across from the street from the Pompidou. Hotel was very charming but the family who ran it were very "French" aka standoffish and bitter. I have some high school French so I managed to get by just fine, but one time I went into some little gay lounge in the Marais during happy hour for a drink and was trying my French on the cute flirty bartender. He asked where I was from, so I told him NYC and all of a sudden he starts yelling in English "YES, MY NIGGAH! BROOKLYN!" and he changes to music in the bar to some rap music while telling everyone in the bar that "THERE IS MAH NIGGAH!" I was trying to hide under my bar stool. The bartender was white by the way.

by Anonymousreply 74January 26, 2018 12:57 AM

I agree about staying in the Marais. It's a good location to walk everywhere, and really, ambling about the city is why you are in Paris.

by Anonymousreply 75January 26, 2018 2:36 AM

Many of the "nicer", expensive restaurants have English menus and are fantastic. But, yeah, as a rule the pretty, romantic little bistros which have English menus advertising French Onion Soup and Croque Monsieur = tourist traps.

by Anonymousreply 76January 26, 2018 2:40 AM

Are you black, R74?

by Anonymousreply 77January 26, 2018 2:56 AM

Is there an equivalent to OpenTable that’s good for Paris (or other Euro cities)?

by Anonymousreply 78January 26, 2018 3:01 AM

Make sure you either know French or you have a person who can interpret your English to Spanish and another who can translate the Spanish to German and another who can translate the German to French.

by Anonymousreply 79January 26, 2018 5:46 AM

Enjoy your vacation. The French are such lovely people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80January 26, 2018 6:24 AM

R80 " The french" such as myself, ( générations of parisiens in my family) had to abandon Paris to the international businessmen and the social housing benefiters decades ago. Paris has become a shithole full of arabs, africans and tourists. Stay in the historical center. 5,6,1,2,3,4,14,15,16 arrondissements and montmartre. Cling to your personal belongings, and don't think you'll meet any real French or parisien.

by Anonymousreply 81January 26, 2018 7:51 AM

"lope à jus cherche rébeu ttbm domi. souslarve à gaver. plan vicieux, lieux insolites, je paye"

by Anonymousreply 82January 26, 2018 8:14 AM

That is disgusting R82

by Anonymousreply 83January 26, 2018 8:15 AM

is "disgusting" the word? When in Paris, do as the Parisians

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84January 26, 2018 8:42 AM

stayed at the Hotel Brazil yrs ago....

maid robbed us of all our cr cards..

by Anonymousreply 85January 26, 2018 8:46 AM

Sadly, I agree with R81 on many points.

by Anonymousreply 86January 26, 2018 9:07 AM

Well, we will always have Lyon.

by Anonymousreply 87January 26, 2018 9:13 AM

If you want good, affordable food, Lyon is far better than Paris.

by Anonymousreply 88January 26, 2018 9:39 AM

Just your pride.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89January 26, 2018 9:43 AM

Lyon is the gastronomic capitale of France. It's like a pretty little Paris. Have 2 days in Paris for tuileries, louvre et quartier latin, the rest in lyon

by Anonymousreply 90January 26, 2018 9:44 AM

R90, And the Centre Pompidou, Napoleon's Tomb, the Eifel Tower as seen at night from the Trocadero, the Champs Elysee, the Musee d'Orsay, Boule' Mich,' etc., etc.

Lyon is for a day. But the cathedrals (Amiens, Rouen, Chartres, etc.) and chateaux (Chenonceaux, Chambord, Chinon, Villandry, ...) ought not be ignored! I mean, if one is of a mind to go beyond Paris.

There's never enough time for France, OP!

by Anonymousreply 91January 26, 2018 10:12 AM

The bad-pickpockets on the metro. Watch for that. Be alert all the time. Wear sunglasses (pickpockets want to see your eyes). Gold ring scam - someone will pick up a gold ring and try to give it to you. Ignore them. String on your wrist-will try to tie string on your wrist and hold you hostage for a large “donation”. Usually Africans. Petition girls-ask you to sign a petition as a distraction while they pickpocket you. Just say no.

ATM’s-watch who is around. This is a common place to be robbed.

by Anonymousreply 92January 26, 2018 11:11 AM

Got to BBB and hire some protection for the week.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93January 26, 2018 11:15 AM

Avoid eye contact. Don't speak with anyone. Don't go out after sunset. Don't ever take out your wallet. No jewelry. Keep your bag/phone/wallet on your lap while in restaurant / movie. No cash.

by Anonymousreply 94January 26, 2018 11:22 AM

Oh, and watch out for dog feces, its EVERYWHERE.

by Anonymousreply 95January 26, 2018 11:24 AM

Frankly you're much safer in Tunis, where you can speak French and visit Carthage.

by Anonymousreply 96January 26, 2018 11:30 AM

Same locals anyway.

by Anonymousreply 97January 26, 2018 11:31 AM

My family lived in Paris since the early 1800's. I just left. What's the point? Watch what was once the most beautiful city in the world becoming shantytown ? I don't speak arabic nor african anyway.

by Anonymousreply 98January 26, 2018 11:34 AM

[quote]Oh, and watch out for dog feces, its EVERYWHERE.

I thought they had guys going around on little motorbikes, vacuuming it up.

by Anonymousreply 99January 26, 2018 11:52 AM

Speak to NO ONE. Say NOTHING. ALWAYS look straight ahead, as if you know where you're going.

If anyone approaches you, play dumb.

by Anonymousreply 100January 26, 2018 11:54 AM

Don't even think of going to the suburbs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101January 26, 2018 11:55 AM

If you see THIS - walk on. DON'T get involved.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102January 26, 2018 11:57 AM

Africa Sur Seine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103January 26, 2018 11:58 AM

Stay in your hotel. Bring binoculars. Eat in the hotel restaurant or McDonalds. Whatever you do, do NOT venture out into the streets of Paris. Take a taxi to the louvre. Why are you even going there? You do realise its France? France is no longer France.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104January 26, 2018 12:01 PM

Use vbro (Vacation Rentals By Owner). My sister and her husband, your ages, stayed in a two story flat with beamed ceilings in near Notre Dame on the left bank (St. Andres de Pres was where it was by) in one of those cobbled mews. It was gorgeous and under $250.00/night. You don't need that much space and because there is so much stock in Paris (and Rome) you can get a better, cheaper deal that is still comfortable and pretty than you can get in upstate New York. I've found that - obviously, I guess - the bigger and more expensive the city, the better and greater the Vacation Rental by Owner deals, because there's so much competition. There's a flat near the Colisium - a studio - for $77/night. Yes, I realize that's Rome. My brother also vacationed in a Paris apartment with his family.

VBRO (a/ka Home Away) is better than arbnb. Paris is a great walking city. I was there (again) for the day this past June. All we did was walk around and then have an early dinner at Cafe Deux Magot (never again - thought it would be fun but it's a pit now). We walked from Place de Madeleine to Notre Dame and then across into the left bank. Ended the day trip at the Luxembourg gardens. If you get an apartment or flat you will save so much on necessary meals, and can use that money to choose judiciously where and when you want to eat out.

by Anonymousreply 105January 26, 2018 12:02 PM

The dog feces picking motorbikes were a 80's thing that only encouraged the dog owners to let them shit on the sidewalks, used to be the worst thing about Paris, now it's the least annoying. Make a detour. Only worse city is Marseille, wich is now, I think, officially in North Africa. Paris died 20 years ago

by Anonymousreply 106January 26, 2018 12:02 PM

[quote]Take a taxi to the louvre

RUN from the taxi into the museum. DON'T look about.

Wear dark glasses and a headscarf.

by Anonymousreply 107January 26, 2018 12:03 PM

Don't ever EVER take a taxi unless 1) it has an official visible "accreditation" number 2) you know exactly the shortest way to go where you want to go. 3) your relatives know where you are and when and where you should be. 4) you can check on Google map he is following your instructions.

by Anonymousreply 108January 26, 2018 12:07 PM

And cross Berlin and Cologne off your list. London, too. Only choices: Helsinki, Vienna or Zurich. Now that the Russians have put things back in order. you might consider Sevastopol.

by Anonymousreply 109January 26, 2018 12:11 PM

The sidewalks are narrow and packed with people. You'll often find yourself walking (knocked onto) the street. After a few days, you'll feel a strange, cloying, claustrophobic feeling. That's PARIS!

The winters are mean (the winds blow across from Russia and seem to blow up and into you). The summers muggy, oppressive.

Armpit B.O. on the metro. Time to go home not when you no longer notice it - but when you start to like it.

Avoid those awful cafes on every single fucking corner, that all look alike. The waiters are rude - that is, if they even acknowledge you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110January 26, 2018 12:13 PM

Tokyo has a tower and unique food. The monsters haven't awoken yet from the Fukushima radiation. Go now while you can. Much safer than Paris.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111January 26, 2018 12:16 PM

The metro ? Are you MAD ? Do NOT use any kind of metro/RER at ANY time, unless you want to be mugged/ murdered/raped/infected. Use buses for short distances in central city on the left bank only. Stay on your feet with your personal belongings under your arm. Near the chauffeur. And thoroughly cleanse your hands afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 112January 26, 2018 12:19 PM

If you take a taxi - LOCK THE DOORS, or they'll come along and pull you out, take everything you own AND MORE.

But DO take you movie camera - you might witness a terror attack. Film it and post it online. It could go viral!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113January 26, 2018 12:20 PM

[quote]The metro ? Are you MAD ?

Taxi? Are you MAD? THIS could happen and probably will.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114January 26, 2018 12:23 PM

R112 and R113 and R114 are advising you to spend the whole of your Paris vacation at Charles de Gaulle. It's possible, since there's a Sheraton right inside the airport.

by Anonymousreply 115January 26, 2018 12:24 PM

Best to AVOID areas that look like THIS >>

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116January 26, 2018 12:25 PM

Paris is so dull that Hitler couldn't be bothered to destroy it.

by Anonymousreply 117January 26, 2018 12:27 PM

Don't eat at restaurants, they will spit in your plate because you are americans. Not amount of politeness and kindness will ever do. Eat take away food that you can see being served to you at all times. Don't ever use public restrooms.don't even go there.

by Anonymousreply 118January 26, 2018 12:28 PM

[quote]Don't ever use public restrooms.don't even go there.

Don't they have those little stand-alone cubicles on the street anymore?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119January 26, 2018 12:31 PM

Always shit in your hotel room before you go out.

Don't even think of doing it in the cafe toilette or you'll be confronted with THIS >>

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120January 26, 2018 12:34 PM

Don't use that unless you have a taste for days of stranger's waste/dead bodies of children. Seriously

by Anonymousreply 121January 26, 2018 12:34 PM

That would be the best option R120. You know what's inside, around, and up the walls

by Anonymousreply 122January 26, 2018 12:36 PM

I recommend the old fashioned pissoir (see pic).

But I've come across/been confronted, on entering, by random feces. So, BE WARNED!

Strangely, you'll be assaulted by the smell of human shit in all sorts of places - descending into the metro etc...you'll get used to it. But it can be alarming at first.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123January 26, 2018 12:40 PM

FORGET The Louvre.

It'll probably be closed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124January 26, 2018 12:48 PM

Beware of rats. They are everywhere. Go central. You will need to walk. Chances are transportation systems will be down/on strike. How are you planning to go from the airport to the city? If you tale a taxi/ rented car you will be attacked in a "attaque à la diligence" meaning they will stop the car, hold you at gunpoint, rob/kill you. You don't want to take RER ( same thing, you won't make it alive AND with your luggage). I think there should be a private " navette" ( bus). Don't plan to ask for help at the airport, do your research, there is nobody to help. If by chance there is, they won't speak english ( or pretend they don't)

by Anonymousreply 125January 26, 2018 12:52 PM

True story, if a distraught pregnant lady and her mother beg to use your cell phone for an emergency call, just walk fast and ignore them. They will take it and run. If you try to run after them, they will scream assault and you will be lynched by the crowd.

by Anonymousreply 126January 26, 2018 1:02 PM

You guys are pretty hysterical. It’s tragic that some of your comments about today’s Paris are true. I remember my first vacation there with a another flight attendant. We pretty much used “Fodor’s Paris on a Budget” as our bible since we were young and on a limited budge. We went to dinner at a place recommended by the Fodor guide (sorry I don’t remember the name, this was 30 years ago) and I looked up from our table and saw this beautiful women enter the restaurant escorted by two men. I told my friend, “Kathy, look, I think that’s Catherine Deneuve.” To which she replied, “Yeah, right I’m sure Catherine Deneuve would be eating in a place recommended by Fodor.” But then the maitre d and other staff rushed to greet her and I knew it was her. They seated her at a table across from me and several times when I looked up to get a look at her she was glancing at me as well. She was really stunning, Anyway, I think the tips concerning using a few phrases are a good idea (Duolingo is a great app). If the French believe you are attempting to speak their language they are more open to assist you. Have a great time OP. P.S. I still haven’t been to Giverny, it’s on my bucket list. Bon Voyage!

by Anonymousreply 127January 26, 2018 1:09 PM

Also.....what everyone is recommending concerning pickpockets is true. Even 30 years ago there were gypsie children who would approach you (especially near tourist spots). My friend had this happen and I quickly starting yelling at them and shooing them away, she was alarmed by my behavior and then I pointed to her fanny pack which was now unzipped within seconds. Beware.

by Anonymousreply 128January 26, 2018 1:14 PM

You hysterical queens are why they hate us. Losers. Paris is fine, you dandies.

by Anonymousreply 129January 26, 2018 1:17 PM

Just ask Kim K. And that was luxury private resort with staff and security. Imagine the rest

by Anonymousreply 130January 26, 2018 1:18 PM

Get a RICK Steves book, stayed in his fave hotel on one of my trips. It was fine, paid 10.00 more for an Eiffel tower view, you had to stand on your tip toes and lean out the window for the view !!! Me and Ex both laughed. Eat a couple of nts at the gai Moulin. good cheap food and service, 2 salads, entress and dessert and 2 bottles of wine around 50.00, not Michelin , but good, decent food and great eye candy.

by Anonymousreply 131January 26, 2018 1:25 PM

When I travel to cities I spend as little time as possible in my lodging. I never get spending a lot of money on where you stay, but that is me.

by Anonymousreply 132January 26, 2018 1:36 PM

We eat here every often, about 16 euros total, excellent food/atmosphere, when we are in residence. Right behind Place St Michel near the Seine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133January 26, 2018 1:47 PM

R133 Erna, you are a disgusting cow. Die already.

by Anonymousreply 134January 26, 2018 2:16 PM

We stayed at an airbnb about three years ago. great apartment! Nice neighborhood bakery to buy croissants hot from the oven after my morning run, not far from the Eiffel Tower and the Train station. We went to Versailles for the day.

We went for walks, (go in the late Spring or early summer) We went to the Rodin Museum, the Musee' d'Orsay, and Notre Dame. The Louvre too, but it is overwhelming so make sure you look into the ten "must see" art works at the Louvre. You'll enjoy Musee' d Orsay much more, I think.

Best food we had was Moroccan. take advantage of the authentic ethnic dishes if you go. Now the advantage to staying at a hotel, like my sister and her husband did last year, is that the Concierge can recommend decent restaurants.

Two things. Get passes. They're worth it. They get you into the museums and other tourist places. otherwise you wait in lines and you pay individually. A pass is worth it and they really do pay for themselves. Also, get a card for transportation. You can hop on and off. And get a couple books, one with basic French and one to understand their buses and subways. (You'll see more on buses.)

You can go to the flea markets, Luxembourg Gardens and the famous cemetery is another must see. Of course there's the Champs Elysee, the Arch de Triumph and you really must visit Napoleon's Tomb. Magnificent. Don't forget to walk across the Point Neuf. paris is a physically beautiful City and I belive Louis Napoleon and his German planner did a spectacular job with the modern city of Paris, which dates to the mid 1800's. Montmatre is fun in the summer when the young people have spontaneous street parties. If you shop, do it at the famous Flea markets the best one is Puces de St- Ouen. It was featured in the Woody Allen movie, Midnight in Paris. But there are a few others. They're famous for them. Google it. Ten days for two of you you'll easily spend $4,000. Find deals on airfare and maybe you can get a good deal on a package from TripAdvisor. In fact, Trip Advisor really helped me. Oh. And their "pharmacies" are much different from our drug stores. The French are really helpful.

by Anonymousreply 135January 26, 2018 2:20 PM

Flip Key at TripAdvisor, VRBO, and Homeaway are also good places to look for an apartment. You rent by the week.

by Anonymousreply 136January 26, 2018 2:22 PM

Rentals under one year (9 months for students) are now forbidden by law in Paris and violators risk a 50k euros fine

by Anonymousreply 137January 26, 2018 2:26 PM

so then why are there a zillion places for rent by the day there on airbnb, etc.?

by Anonymousreply 138January 26, 2018 2:36 PM

The Hotel Duquesne was really nice and in a good spot. Make sure you know which arondissments are the best. Look at a map of Paris.

by Anonymousreply 139January 26, 2018 2:40 PM

Where to Eat in Paris When You’re Sick of French Food

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140January 26, 2018 2:41 PM

We've never had problems iwth pickpockets in Rome or Paris. We got hit in London outside Sheffields, but never in Rome, Venice, Athens, or Paris.

by Anonymousreply 141January 26, 2018 2:47 PM

I carried everything in a bag with a lock on it. Four attempts to pickpocket me that I know of, one inside the Louvre. Was approached by the petition girls, they were looking for “donations”. Also had a Roma try the gold ring scam in me.

by Anonymousreply 142January 26, 2018 4:40 PM

My friend and I (both female) took the Metro everyday for 10 days. We had no problem with pickpockets (although we did witness one steal a purse). Contrary to the upthread advice, we were able to spot pickpockets (they have a certain kind of restless eyes, energy and are loitering/lurking) and pointedly stare right back at them. We also made sure we knew our routes and walked like we knew where we were going, and not like clueless tourists. We don't carry purses and I have my phone on a metal crossbody strap, so it's more difficult to grab the phone from my hand.

I will say that when we walked from the Metro to Puces de St- Ouen, there is a block before the market that has hordes of loitering Arab and African guys loitering around trying to sell you cigarettes- it's quite daunting. I just dialed my Resting Bitch Face to 11 and they left me alone. There is a great little resto in one of the main buildings- Les Gastropodes

Forget taxis and the touts that will approach you before you exit airports or train stations (esp Gare du Nord). Take Uber.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143January 26, 2018 6:34 PM

THank you R143. I think people need to take precautions in big cities, especially around tourist attractions or popular tourist havens. I have a ouch with my passport, money and plane ticket, as well as two credit cards. The pouch is strapped to my chest under my shirt and sweater, and I keep a minimum amount of local cash in my pants pocket Never had a problem. it helps to know where you're going and to walk with purpose.

by Anonymousreply 144January 26, 2018 6:47 PM

OP you never indicated how much you wanted to spend. What's your limit on lodging? what would you be most comfortable with per diem. I find it easier to get breakfast on the fly. Coffee, fruit, yogurt, a roll. Then I splurge on a late lunch or dinner. The Museum passes are great. They save time and money.

by Anonymousreply 145January 26, 2018 6:50 PM

here's the information I think you'll find this helpful.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146January 26, 2018 6:53 PM

[quote]Fine dining in Paris is hella expensive

How the fuck would you know?

by Anonymousreply 147January 26, 2018 6:53 PM

Eat at Le Polidor and Bofinger. Do as I tell you. And pronounce it BO-FON-SHAY

by Anonymousreply 148January 26, 2018 6:56 PM

Oh yes r144, you'll encounter the a bunch of Africans trying to sell you trinkets/cigarettes or aforementioned gaggle of pickpocket gypsies/girls as you approach the Tour Eiffel. And before I forget, make sure you take the roof tours of either Sacre Coeur or Notre Dame. Touristy- yes, but worth it.

by Anonymousreply 149January 26, 2018 7:11 PM

R143 there is also Chauffeurs privés, like Uber, you need an app for that, but public transport is just fine, RER B will take you from CDG airport to the center of Paris, during the day there is direct train who don't stop in the suburb, they are faster and safer. In any case you can chek everything about transport in Paris on ratp.fr

R140 thank for the link, I know a very good mauricius restaurant in a gallery a the 34 avenue des Champs Elysées, it was cheap and really good! Some colleagues had an after work at Chez Bouboule, they have 3 restaurants, you can do pétanque indoor. You can try your luck behind the Lycée Henry 4 behind the Pantheon, there is plenty of restaurants like creperie that cater for parisians and tourists. If you want something special, you can book in advance the Jules Verne at the 2nd floor of the Eiffel tower, they keep the best table next to the window for Anniversary, people on honeymoon and proposals. Otherwise the Tour d'Argent is similar, but they both have a dress code I think.

R125 there is no rat in Paris, it's not Ratatouille! We do have very small mice who can go everywhere, often find in the rail tracks of the metro. We do not do strikes/riots every week, thanks.

R119 yep, we still do

R117 Hitler asked to have Paris destructed, the general who was running the city decided not to do it, thanks God...

R110 winter are not very cold, but very damp, (we are having floods at the moment), our weather does not come from Russia, it's from the Atlantic, the Gulf-stream. We are not very far from England, it can rain a lot sometimes.

R98 you can track you ancestors as parisian since the 1800?! I have never met in my life somebody who was more than 3rd generation! Everybody has grand parent from all over France, Europe and the world! It's about fucking time you discover that there is life outside Paris!

R80 we asked the italians, spanish, magrebins, antillais ect to come help us rebuild France after WW2, without them we wouldn't have public service, hospital or post running! We are a multicultural country, and have been for more than half a century, it's also about fucking time you realize it!

R94 is correct we don't do eye contact but you can ask for direction, keep you clothe comfortable but you are not going to walk a mountain, no backpack (really easy to open for pickpocket), no fanny pack, it's not the 90' anymore. In public transport, stay on the right of the escalator and let people who are going to work climb the steps on your left.

R92 africans will sell you souvenirs, Roms will steal you money, often using children because we don't put children in prison in France. They often work in group, do not hesitate to tell them to go away/fuck off, keep it short.

R90 Lyon is indeed one of the best place in France for food, but you can also visit Strasbourg or Lille for the architecture, easy to reach by TGV, if you have more time (7-10 days in Paris is a lot!) you can also visit Brittany, or Dordogne, or pays Basque with also a very good reputation for the food (hope you are not vegetarians, right?)

R71 it's better if you know some french, it definitely help. The thing is, every french learn english at school, for at least 6 years and then never get to use it. So the best is to articulate and make short sentences. We understand perfectly french people speaking english, we love an english accent when you speak french! By the way nobody in France knows the Steve Martin scene "I would like to buy a hamburger".

R63 yes, very useful!

R54 I would say "Pleaaase" and rolling my eyes, but I'm not sure we talking about the same thing.

I don't know any hotels, but stay next to a metro station, preferably not directly on a busy boulevard, avoid les Halles, my friends stay there because it's very central, but it's also very noisy. I would recommend the ice cream Bertillon on the island st Louis behind Notre Dame, they have plenty of choice, very tasty. Check when the museums are closed, depending if it's a national or a city museum they will close on a different day. Enjoy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150January 26, 2018 7:43 PM

Hitler ordered Paris destroyed, r150?

Amazing - please provide documentatia/verificatia for this outrageous claim.

by Anonymousreply 151January 26, 2018 7:47 PM

Hitler treasured Paris, he considered it his trophy.

by Anonymousreply 152January 26, 2018 7:49 PM

Don't feed the pigeons, they carry more deseases than rats, and will mob you and shit on you. The rains in paris are acid. Proof on the monuments. ( just to let you know). Go to Meudon, posh suburb on a hill where my uncle lives.with great view over Paris. You will see like nowhere else the miles thick brown pollution cloud over Paris where you just were and will go back shortly.

by Anonymousreply 153January 26, 2018 7:55 PM

R151 have a look at the bio of the commander of Paris, General Dietrich von Choltitz, they had bombs wired all over the monuments, ready to erase them from the map.

[quote] He is chiefly remembered for his role as the last commander of Nazi-occupied Paris in 1944, when he disobeyed Adolf Hitler's orders to level the city, but instead surrendered it to Free French forces.[4][5] In many contemporary accounts he has been called the "Saviour of Paris" for preventing its destruction. Choltitz later asserted that his defiance of Hitler's direct order stemmed from its obvious military futility, his affection for the French capital's history and culture, and his belief that Hitler had by then become insane.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154January 26, 2018 8:12 PM

R151, it is true. There is a movie about it.

Near the end of World War II, Gen. Dietrich von Choltitz (Gert Froebe) receives orders to burn down Paris if it becomes clear the Allies are going to invade, or if he cannot maintain control of the city. After much contemplation Choltitz decides to ignore his orders, enraging the Germans and giving hope to various resistance factions that the city will be liberated. Choltitz, along with Swedish diplomat Raoul Nordling (Orson Welles), helps a resistance leader (Alain Delon) organize his forces.

Initial release: October 26, 1966

Director: René Clément

Music composed by: Maurice Jarre

Screenplay: Francis Ford Coppola, Gore Vidal, Pierre Bost, Jean Aurenche, Claude Brulé

Story by: Larry Collins, Dominique Lapierre

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155January 26, 2018 8:22 PM

Only very stupid people believe HollywoodCIA bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 156January 26, 2018 8:31 PM

the airport is the worst, lazy fucks and so slow!!!! i was in transit for over 4hrs and my luggage didn't even make it to the connecting flight.

by Anonymousreply 157January 26, 2018 8:32 PM

i would go visit jim morrison's grave. if you do go, pls say hi for me!

by Anonymousreply 158January 26, 2018 8:33 PM

The Africans who tie bracelets on your wrists will sell you hash if you ask nicely, so I don't know what you all are complaining about.

by Anonymousreply 159January 26, 2018 8:35 PM

Pere Lachaise Cemetery, I think it's called and everyone is buried there. Just everyone. Jim Morrison is the least of it. Look up the famous people. It's So worth an afternoon.

I have had the ice cream at Bertillon, R150! Wonderful! I loved to wander around the neighborhood around Notre Dame. Great pharmacie there too if I recall. I would love to see more of France, but I had only a few days so I was only in Paris. We did take the train to Versailles one day. I will definitely come back. Train to Lyon, maybe go to Nice, & St Jean Cap Ferrat.

by Anonymousreply 160January 26, 2018 8:44 PM

R81 Good riddance, you lacy fuck. Paris and France is technically and financially an welfare state, powered and financed by Africa and other former colonial countries. Hitler should have finished you off, lol!

by Anonymousreply 161January 26, 2018 8:55 PM

The French can sometimes be racist as fuck, as R81 so eloquently demonstrates.

by Anonymousreply 162January 26, 2018 9:11 PM

r127, Go to Giverny! Get your picture taken on the bridge!

First time my husband and I were in Paris, first a.m. we left our hotel to go to our rental car parked on the street. Flat tire! Oh, crap! Well, two young Parisian guys saw us and changed the tire for us, gratis!

Another time in Paris we hailed a taxi (again, we had a car) just to ask the driver directions (who better to ask?). He decided it was easier to let us follow him to our destination!

I reserved our leased Renault from the US. The night before our flight, Renault rep called us, asking for our flight number. Why? To MEET US at the airport and drive us to where our car was waiting.

Being welcomed sans reservation and soaking wet on a stormy Bastille Day at Restaurant Abelard, and then eating Charolais beef and a rabbit dish avec vin, is a cherished memory.

IOW, the Parisians I met on any level were friendly, kind, and helpful.

by Anonymousreply 163January 26, 2018 9:12 PM

"Pere Lachaise Cemetery, I think it's called and everyone is buried there. Just everyone."

One begs to differ, r160!

by Anonymousreply 164January 26, 2018 9:14 PM

My friend and I met a very sweet lady in her 70's at the bus stop who chatted our ears off. Turns out she worked at the UN in the 1950's in NYC and had a torrid affair with a diplomat.

She was HIGHLY opinionated about the best sights to see. "Well I guess you COULD go to the Louvre, but the Musee Rodin is much nicer..." She also recommended spending an afternoon in Bois du Boulogne.

by Anonymousreply 165January 26, 2018 9:17 PM

r151, Really? REALLY?! Man, you must be young.

by Anonymousreply 166January 26, 2018 9:17 PM

R165 so your old lady friend was into brazilian trannies?

by Anonymousreply 167January 26, 2018 9:19 PM

OP, I lived in both Brussels and Paris as a teen. And even back then (we're talking like 25 years ago) everyone spoke English. So don't worry about the language, you'll be fine.

As far as food, You can get by without spending a fortune so no worries there.

I haven't been to Paris in over a decade, and from what I know from people I still know living over there things have changed a lot. Not for the better, I'm afraid. Be careful, and be safe.

It's such a gorgeous city. You will have a wonderful time.

by Anonymousreply 168January 26, 2018 9:24 PM

When I went the had this program called City Greeters. The City coordinates walking tours with locals for tourists. It's free, but you need to reserve well in advance. The old gentlemen who showed us around Monmartre was fabulous. He knew all kinds of history and details from living in the city forever. My favorite part was when he was pointing out the EIffel Tower in the distance, he let us know, "That one we are still on the fence about. It's so new."

by Anonymousreply 169January 26, 2018 9:26 PM

You americans don't understand. R162. I am not racist. I don't feel superior as a white man.40 years ago there were no arabs of african in France or so very few.They weren't there when I was a child.It's not like America where you were all immigrants, you brought them enslaved and they deserve respect and equality. You have no more reasons to be there than they do. But we didn't bring them over. They were colonies, wich was wrong,They wanted independance, wich was right. And they don't belong here. I don't relate to them and I think they would be much better off in their own country.

by Anonymousreply 170January 26, 2018 10:00 PM

Look, French is food is just a dozen variations on gravy. You can do that at home.

by Anonymousreply 171January 26, 2018 10:05 PM

just don't go to marseille. if you value your life. all of them thugs.

by Anonymousreply 172January 26, 2018 10:30 PM

Assuming airfare around $800 and hotels around $120 per night, figure $1500/week if you are on your own.

by Anonymousreply 173January 26, 2018 10:33 PM

All of them thugs. Did you use a Scrabble to decipher that one R172? True too c, go to Nice. And monaco. Saint paul de vence is a treat

by Anonymousreply 174January 26, 2018 10:34 PM

if you have to ask, you can't afford it. and be careful of scammers. don't get portrait drawn by artists etc. and pickpockets. have you ever been out of the country?

by Anonymousreply 175January 26, 2018 10:56 PM

Whenever I need a cheap vacation, I default to Go-Today. They always have the best rates for airfare and hotel. I especially like the trips where you fly to a country, visit the capital city, then Rent-A-Car and visit several smaller cities or regions, like Paris and the Burgundy region.

by Anonymousreply 176January 26, 2018 11:24 PM

I’m frightened! We cancelled the Paris trip! I don’t want to be raped by an African who puts strings on people! I’m going to Branson instead!

by Anonymousreply 177January 26, 2018 11:31 PM

Good for you OP

by Anonymousreply 178January 26, 2018 11:37 PM

I don’t think OP’s question on cost is out of line. I like to budget as well.

by Anonymousreply 179January 26, 2018 11:42 PM

Oh they will not spit in your plate. Parisian waitstaff are just trying to get through the day and make money like anyone else. I had 'rude' waiter at Cafe Deaux Magot but I'm pretty sure he did it because it was expected, and he was very funny.

I took the Metro and loved it. It is one of the only things that reminds me of when cities were cities. The Metro slingshots into the station and the doors fly open before it comes to a stop. Same when it gets going again. I like it. It's a subway - it's not a chauffered limo, but it's fine. I had trouble with the ticket dispensing machines though, but that's on me.

by Anonymousreply 180January 26, 2018 11:51 PM

You know, since Europe has so many refugees to cope with, there is a backlash, and things are different. But they have to realize this is what America looks like. We are a diverse nation and now they are dealing with the growing pains of being a more diverse nation. If their economy was healthy no one would care.

by Anonymousreply 181January 27, 2018 12:24 AM

Some of you people are such wimps! You should stick to Paris-Las Vegas if you're so scared.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182January 27, 2018 12:32 AM

Yeah, because Vegas is so much safer.....

by Anonymousreply 183January 27, 2018 12:36 AM

R133 - I can't believe you mentioned La Tourelle. I went there on my first trip to Paris. I opted out of the tour group trip and went around the city on my own. Stopped at La Tourelle for dinner. Had such a wonderful meal there. At that time, I believed the restaurant was ran by a husband and wife, the wife was Asian. Wonder if they're still there.

by Anonymousreply 184January 27, 2018 3:04 AM

Yes, r184, the charming wife is from Hong Kong and the French husband chef looks like he was probably scorching hot 25 years ago. They are still owning/running it with their two sons. We plan to dine there at least once when we are in residence again next week, having arrived on the TGV/AVE from Barcelona - a 6.5 hour direct journey.

by Anonymousreply 185January 27, 2018 9:02 AM

Don't bother to tip OP. Service is included. And they hate you anyway. But if you tip they hate AND despise you.

by Anonymousreply 186January 27, 2018 11:45 AM

[R181] European societies like French or British has been diverse for a very long time, as any ex-colonial power, it is not a recent influx of refugees that created that. In France or UK the proportion of Muslims is much higher than in US due to immigration from North Africa or Pakistan, Bangladesh respectively.

by Anonymousreply 187January 27, 2018 12:08 PM

[quote]Don't bother to tip OP. Service is included. And they hate you anyway. But if you tip they hate AND despise you.

God, when I first came to England I could never get used to the tipping non-tipping thing. Some places you tip, some you don't. You don't tip in a working man's Caff for example. I'd leave money on the table and they'd all stare at me as I went out.

Even today people say I over-tip.

Tipping is so much a part of the American culture - especially as I was a fucking waiter myself.

by Anonymousreply 188January 27, 2018 12:18 PM

I beg to differ R187. I am french and Parisien. France begun to be " diverse" in the 70's, with ' regroupement familial ' ( bring in the wives and kids of ex- colonies issued workers) which everyone now agrees was a tragic mistake.all of them now France haters thugs and drug dealers. And the new migrants are unemployable. They were in the African jungles three months ago. Behave like Boko Haram in centre Paris, harrass and rape women, men and children. Read the european press.I don't want Diversity thanks. I want my country back

by Anonymousreply 189January 27, 2018 12:22 PM

R189=either CIA or moron

by Anonymousreply 190January 27, 2018 12:26 PM

R188. Read the ticket. The mention " service compris" means you don't need to tip.if you have to tip ( in taxis you have, before you get off, and they will carry your luggage and thank you " monsieur") tip 10 %.Fucking the waiter is always a plus. But remember he is french = no deo, unclean ass. R190, being, again, French living there, I think I know better. your stupid comment not needed. Truth hurts? Fuck off already.

by Anonymousreply 191January 27, 2018 12:36 PM

We have found French sizemeat to be larger than that in most other countries and also very clean. Uncut of course.

by Anonymousreply 192January 27, 2018 12:56 PM

For your information OP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193January 27, 2018 1:03 PM

A fish-free zone?! Thanks for the info!

by Anonymousreply 194January 27, 2018 2:10 PM

It's not like " fishes out, gays welcome" R194.you might not want to have the integrist muslim gay experience in immigrants district while in Paris daddy.

by Anonymousreply 195January 27, 2018 2:16 PM

I still don't understand how France let the situation with this savage immigrants get so out of hand. If you try to legally immigrate to France it's nearly impossible but these motherfuckers not only got into the country but also behave like beasts and have no respect for anyone or anything.

How the fuck is that possible???

by Anonymousreply 196January 27, 2018 2:36 PM

Pere Lachaise Cemetery > great for a quick BJ, especially at sundown

by Anonymousreply 197January 27, 2018 2:44 PM

Well at least they have McDonalds so civilization is slowly arriving

by Anonymousreply 198January 27, 2018 2:45 PM

We have sampled Towel sizemeat and found it not to our liking... The color is strange and the public hair is very black. Also it is cut.

by Anonymousreply 199January 27, 2018 2:46 PM

Tell us more r197!

by Anonymousreply 200January 27, 2018 2:48 PM

A nice vacation at a nice hotel, nice location, not spending a fortune dining (which you don't have to do except maybe once or twice, money for museums, etc., some smallish shopping, about $5000 per person. Sharing a room obviously brings the hotel costs down.

Backpackers can be cheap. Not middle agers who want better accommodations.

by Anonymousreply 201January 27, 2018 2:55 PM

R196 one word: SOCIALISTES. In your country = Hillary Clinton.

by Anonymousreply 202January 27, 2018 3:00 PM

i can't imagine staying in hostels sorry. bed bugs.

by Anonymousreply 203January 27, 2018 3:01 PM

You can get a decent hotel in a good location, have good meals, (maybe splurge once if you're there for a week or ten days} and if you get the Museums Pass and a metro card you will save a lot. I project 7 nights and 8 days in Paris at $4000 total for two people, or $2000 per person.

Go to TripAdvisor for hotels, and Priceline for air. Trip Advisor has forums where people discuss their travel experiences. It's definitely worth skimming through. Lots of good suggestions.

by Anonymousreply 204January 27, 2018 3:34 PM

I remember the summer of 1979, fresh out of high school, I flew Laker Airways to London with my Frommer "Europe on $15.00 a Day" in hand....definitely doable in those days...now you would be getting off cheap at 150 a day.

by Anonymousreply 205January 27, 2018 3:46 PM

We can have a great time in Paris with 75 euros per day complete nice hotel room with private bath in the best part of Paris (6th arr), 3 good meals, for 95 euros/day. For two people maybe 80 euros per day per person.

by Anonymousreply 206January 27, 2018 3:52 PM

I'm sure I'm not the only homosexual who always thinks of Julia, when I go to Paris.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207January 27, 2018 3:56 PM

R185 - Aww I envie you. Wish I can go back there soon. The one time I was there was 12 years ago, I still remember the candied lemon in syrup that was served for dessert. I'm glad to hear they are still in business.

by Anonymousreply 208January 27, 2018 3:58 PM

R202 yes let's pretend Sarkozy did not exist, that's what I do every day! Remind me, what was left of the police when he finally left?

by Anonymousreply 209January 27, 2018 4:43 PM

R209 oh yeah and when was that? Anne Hidalgo, mayor of Paris is an evil cunt, she's worse than Hitler. Hitler didn't touch Paris. She destroyed it. You american dodged a bullet with evil Frau Clinton. You'll never know.

by Anonymousreply 210January 27, 2018 4:52 PM

paris is flooding big time right now, after this event, i'm sure there will be lots of deals to be had. you might want to look into this.

by Anonymousreply 211January 27, 2018 6:14 PM

I've been to Paris, but I've never been to me.

by Anonymousreply 212January 27, 2018 10:52 PM

When I order creme brulee in Paris, should I tell them I want it NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

by Anonymousreply 213January 27, 2018 10:52 PM

R189 LOL! There's nothing French about you at all.

by Anonymousreply 214January 28, 2018 2:23 AM

They closed the Louvre because they were concerned the first floor would flood. It's raining like end times.

by Anonymousreply 215January 28, 2018 3:37 AM

R214 Thank you. I am very flattered. What is it? My english? Is it good?

by Anonymousreply 216January 28, 2018 9:27 AM

We are preparing to visit Paris again!

And, r208, perhaps you are referring to the "Chocolate sublime" which is a fabulous homemade square of chocolate mouse in sort of a sparse and light orange sauce? A better dessert one can not imagine.

by Anonymousreply 217January 28, 2018 9:28 AM

[quote][R214] Thank you. I am very flattered. What is it? My english? Is it good?

It's a mix.

by Anonymousreply 218January 28, 2018 11:59 AM

Well R218, my father was french, my mother french/ italian, I was born and raised in Paris so I guess I can pretty much qualify as french

by Anonymousreply 219January 28, 2018 12:04 PM

R210 Jacques Chirac did worst by transforming a good part of the appartements into offices. Companies use to bring more tax money than people! You were not kicked out of Paris by "foreigners", but by good old capitalism - Andouille!

For people still interested in food and who knows some french, we have a tv show "Trés trés bon" on the channel Paris Première, every week they cover a restaurant, bakery, street food and other products. It's helpful when you want to know if a restaurant is worth it. In the episode below they are trying korean and vietnamese food, because after some time, we get french food fatigue and wants to try something else.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220January 28, 2018 1:05 PM

thanks for that link, R200 - c'est bon

by Anonymousreply 221January 28, 2018 1:26 PM

[quote]Well [R218], my father was french, my mother french/ italian, I was born and raised in Paris so I guess I can pretty much qualify as french

I, personally, wasn't doubting your Frenchness. I think you're marvelous, actually.

by Anonymousreply 222January 28, 2018 1:27 PM

I want to see Paris and other places in Europe. Serious question: how do I NOT behave like an ugly American? Friends have told me to claim I am from Canada when abroad.

by Anonymousreply 223January 28, 2018 1:35 PM

Get new friends. They sound awful.

by Anonymousreply 224January 28, 2018 1:39 PM

Thx R222. I am rude enough? You Americans are so sexy

by Anonymousreply 225January 28, 2018 1:42 PM

No, it's... AM I rude enough?

& I'm English, not American.

by Anonymousreply 226January 28, 2018 1:44 PM

Yes it is, indeed. R226 Typing is getting crazier by the minute. Are you English? Even sexier. I blew my last englishman last month. Ginger, hung like a horse, swallowed his sour ginger load with pride. Cheers mate!

by Anonymousreply 227January 28, 2018 1:57 PM

...and as this thread is about COST. What did you pay for the sour ginger milk?

by Anonymousreply 228January 28, 2018 2:35 PM

Well apart from my self esteem when he declined a bis the next evening, asking " who are you?" , actually it didn't cost me a euro. Was walking distance on the grindr.

by Anonymousreply 229January 28, 2018 2:45 PM

r223 as noted above, learn basic (Insert country) salutations and courtesy phrases (ask if they speak English first in said language) and always use them. Do not laugh out loud (we Americans tend to bray) or have loud conversations anywhere. Wait patiently in queues. Don't toothy smile too much if you want to get something or when greeting people (i guess it makes us look like maniacs). No trainers unless you're actually exercising or you're a millennial and wearing expensive designer trainers. Always wear a scarf. BTW, you can pick out a non-European 80% of the time by the color/straightness of the teeth (Americans are obsessed with straight white teeth). Take your time in cafes (hours!) and when you ask for the bill, expect at least 20 minutes in getting it and maybe 10-15 getting it back to sign or to get change. So if you need to be somewhere, plan accordingly. I always tip but not the 20% that we're accustomed to- you can google how much is customary.

Anybody else want to chime in?

Also this app is invaluable- many of our drivers loved it- it translates aurally and on screen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230January 28, 2018 5:22 PM

Oh yes r223 as a common courtesy anywhere (including US), if you need to check your phone or maps, don't stand in the middle of the sidewalk or on the corner, get out of the way!

by Anonymousreply 231January 28, 2018 5:25 PM

R188 If you are happy with the service, you can usually leave 1 or 2 euros as tips in regular restaurant and café, preferably in one or two coins, no pile of copper coins. If you do a Michelin star restaurant and pay over 100 for the meal, you can tip 5 or 10 euros. As far as I know (and I don't know much) the waiting staff don't pay taxes on their tips like their Canadians colleagues. Do the Americans waiter pay taxes on their tips?

by Anonymousreply 232January 28, 2018 7:13 PM

Tip what? there is no need to tip! i used to wait tables in college and these fucking tourists never ever tip me nothing and their excuse is they didn't know. fucking lies. They are just using it as an excuse. fucking cheap cunts. I wouldn't tip them, they have a service charge in the bill already!

by Anonymousreply 233January 28, 2018 7:24 PM

Be horrible and dominant with them. Don't tip. Treat them like shit. They will know why even if you don't. They are born victims anyway. Otherwise they wouldn't wait tables.

by Anonymousreply 234January 28, 2018 7:42 PM

R216 No that's because you are criminally stupid. You are living in the world's largest welfare/colonially dependent country. Your mere existence is financed by $21billion financed by Haiti and loads of other billions from slavery&colonialism. Now, vai a prenderti la tu povera troia di madre e torni in Italia. France is financially, manufacturally , electrically powered by Africa.

France, love it or leave it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235January 28, 2018 7:47 PM

yes, american waiters are taxed on tips, esp if you pay by credit cards. and they report the tips on their tax returns. so they have to pay tax!

by Anonymousreply 236January 28, 2018 7:48 PM

Nobody wants to go to Paris w/ me (financial, scheduling, not liking me enough for vacation, etc...) but I don't really want to go there alone. It seems awkward to eat in all of those restaurants alone. I still want to go though... any thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 237January 28, 2018 7:48 PM

Lunch... or pay for an escort to join you for dinner

by Anonymousreply 238January 28, 2018 7:50 PM

R235 you don't understand. I don't care to see them that's all. Good italian. My mother is fine by the way. She doesn't need your racist slur. You are very lower class aren't you? African descent yourself perhaps ? Or were you raised in a farm ? Hoi polloi are always so sensitive on these matters. Are you going to cry?

by Anonymousreply 239January 28, 2018 8:03 PM

I spent three days on my own this past summer. It was fine. I did eat dinner earlier than normal for Paris. I stayed in the Latin Quarter. My food recs are on the cheaper scale: Mi Va Mi for amazing falafel and Eric Kayser/Paul for quick breakfast/lunch options.

by Anonymousreply 240January 28, 2018 8:04 PM

R235 ... your references are bogus, try again

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241January 28, 2018 8:09 PM

R235 Oh and I am happy we are the 1st. Good news. I thought it was England and the commonwealth. Good. Thank you for the good news

by Anonymousreply 242January 28, 2018 8:10 PM

R239 LOL! You are quite delusional and can't even formulate a simple argument. You have 3 Intl Airports around Paris, feel free to leave the country and move back to Italy.

by Anonymousreply 243January 28, 2018 8:11 PM

r237, I love going by myself to Paris, I've done it at least 5 times. I spend hours wandering, sitting in parks, flea markets, shopping....but then again I'm a loner. French brasseries are easy for dining alone. I pick up wine, and various meats and cheeses for my evening at the apartment. I don't care for dining alone in the evenings.

by Anonymousreply 244January 28, 2018 8:12 PM

r237 I went solo for a few days in May, '17, and it was amazing. You have to have no fear going in.

by Anonymousreply 245January 28, 2018 8:13 PM

R241 Well, the BBC, Bloomberg, the 12 CFA countries and Elysee Palace itself would highly disagree with you about this known issue.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246January 28, 2018 8:22 PM

R243 I have always felt free to do whatever I wish. That is called privilege. I wouldn't need to " move back" to Italy. My family retains quite a few properties there. You seem terribly offended. Pull yourself together. It makes you seem weak and vulgar. No one is attacking you personaly precious.

by Anonymousreply 247January 28, 2018 8:25 PM

R247 You had a meltdown about the "other" French inhabitants indicates the opposite. You're living in a totally wrong country, seek help or an education. Bacio.

by Anonymousreply 248January 28, 2018 8:39 PM

R248 Call me honey, I can use a hate fuck anytime, especially from a hot JSW. Baci to you too

by Anonymousreply 249January 28, 2018 8:46 PM

r248/r249 = thread killers.

by Anonymousreply 250January 29, 2018 12:01 AM

Like anything, it depends more on your budget and lifestyle. e.g. do you take taxis or public transit. To be honest, you can research the basics of this stuff before you go by getting quotes for a hotel and flights in your lifestyle range online, how much the museums cost and so on, and give yourself a rough food budget for each day to guesstimate.

by Anonymousreply 251January 29, 2018 12:26 AM

yeah really r250. Take it elsewhere girls...

by Anonymousreply 252January 29, 2018 12:37 AM

I bookmarked restaurants that I Yelped, and for the most part stuck to them. It was awesome and the reviews were spot on.

by Anonymousreply 253January 29, 2018 12:44 AM

I also found the French to be friendly for the most part. I do speak the language, not fluently, but dec3ntly, and my accent is okay (people thought I was British). OP, make sure you never speak to someone without a pleasantry first - Bon jour, bon soir - excusez-moi or pardonnez-moi. You will be gauche and despised if you just start speaking without a greeting or excusing yourself.

One thing to know, in Paris you’re either a Parisian or you’re not. Doesn’t matter if you’re French born if you’re not a native Parisian. So just be prepared to be though a wee bit inferior and you’ll be fine - there are some really nice people there.

by Anonymousreply 254January 29, 2018 12:55 AM

I went to Paris with my boss for a week and spent over $10K, all first class. I felt like Anne Hathaway in Devil wears Prada, though my boss is nothing like Miranda Priestly. I had a lot of time to myself and saw everything. I'd do it again in a heartbeat at the same level.

by Anonymousreply 255January 29, 2018 12:58 AM

Ines De la Fressange said Paris is Disneyland for grown-ups.

by Anonymousreply 256January 29, 2018 1:04 AM

"How much does a vacation in Paris cost?"

My hoo-hoo is no longer a vacation destination.

by Anonymousreply 257January 29, 2018 1:08 AM

If you speak French, but never been to Paris, Parisians speak 10x faster than regular French.

by Anonymousreply 258January 29, 2018 3:09 AM

R246 that's better! Non bullshit media :

[quote] The CFA franc was created by France in the late 1940s to serve as a legal tender in its then-African colonies, and it is one of the most prominent signs of France's continued influence over its former colonies.

[quote]The CFA franc is pegged to the euro with the financial backing of the French treasury.

[quote] While some see it as a guarantee of financial stability, others attack it as a colonial relic.

Your see, no bullshit R231 : [quote] our mere existence is financed by $21billion financed by Haiti and loads of other billions from slavery&colonialism... France is financially, manufacturally , electrically powered by Africa.

by Anonymousreply 259January 29, 2018 5:20 AM

We've had lots of of fun here, and all 'au naturel'!

But you'd better be in good shape, otherwise no go.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260January 29, 2018 8:24 AM

: D !!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261January 29, 2018 9:00 AM

I have spent an hour on this thread, and already my poor mother has been insulted( in italian) by a SJW migrant diffender ( like herself btw, poor generous soul actually buys grocery and water to bring them in their tents) for no reason except they are terminal cunts. This is what to expect in Paris OP. Cunts, thugs, migrants and the random anti 'white privilege ' SJW. Cesspool all the way. Go to Bordeaux/Lyon/Nice/Monaco

by Anonymousreply 262January 29, 2018 9:25 AM

r259- There's a French tv comedy called "Au service de la France" that takes place in the 60's. There is a running gag that there is always an African delegation waiting in the lobby to discuss their independence from France and are always ignored. It's on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 263January 29, 2018 4:32 PM

I don't like French food.

by Anonymousreply 264January 29, 2018 4:48 PM

Or, r262, Alsace, Normandy, and/or Brittany!

by Anonymousreply 265January 29, 2018 4:52 PM

Don't worry Donald, there are McDonalds everywhere

by Anonymousreply 266January 29, 2018 4:55 PM

The show R263 refers to is called "A Very Secret Service" in the US/Canada. It's a great show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267January 29, 2018 4:58 PM

Thanks R263 and R267, I'll have a look. I personally enjoy reading "A thousand years of annoying the french" by Stephen Clark, there is a lot in it we don't learn at school, where we were ridiculed by the english, which happen very often in our history, it helps to understand the franco-british "love/hate" and lack of trust.

by Anonymousreply 268January 29, 2018 8:06 PM

you can't afford it. just forget about it.

by Anonymousreply 269January 29, 2018 8:07 PM

R626 We know who you are.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270January 29, 2018 8:49 PM

r270, ??? 626, seriously? ...you probably drink as much as that guy. ....you need to learn how to format...once you sober up.

by Anonymousreply 271January 29, 2018 8:56 PM

hee hee eat my asshole.

by Anonymousreply 272January 29, 2018 9:02 PM

IF you want to eat a 5 star restaurant, you had better reserve now. For good bargain hotels or apartments, unfortunately the locals know more, and it changes. Eat where the locals eat (not the tourist traps). All neighborhoods have the local bistros and wine/bar places. You can have delicious food on the street, including crepes, ethnic sometimes and sandwiches. The french love a picnic and the wine stores sell little bottles of wine and champagne (love this).

All the museums have cafes too. Definitely, get a pass for the metro and the museums.

For me, the most expensive part was the hotel. Versailles takes all day,

by Anonymousreply 273January 29, 2018 9:20 PM

France and especially Paris are are nice, but it would be an even nicer without the Frenchmen who nobody in the world likes.

by Anonymousreply 274January 29, 2018 9:30 PM

I've stayed at a hotel in the Gare de Lyon area before. It wasn't anything fancy, just basic hotel fare. Hardly saw any tourist there. The area seems safe enough, at least back in 2007.

by Anonymousreply 275January 29, 2018 11:27 PM

R275 Most Gare areas look more like Kinshasa now, but it shouldn’t have been much different in 2007.

by Anonymousreply 276January 30, 2018 12:16 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!