Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ernest Borgnine: The hammiest ham that ever hammed

How did he even get any roles? He was so bad. Was he well liked in Hollywood?

by Anonymousreply 26January 20, 2018 3:14 AM

He made a great Mermaidman.

by Anonymousreply 1January 20, 2018 12:28 AM

R1 beat me to it.

I only know him from McHale's Navy and Spongebob.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 20, 2018 12:32 AM

In case anyone doesn't know him, here's Mermaid Man:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 20, 2018 12:33 AM

OP is an idiot. He gave a wonderful performance in "Marty", one of my all-time favorite films. And to think he played this sympathetic character in the same time-period he played a sadistic villain in "From Here To Eternity".

by Anonymousreply 4January 20, 2018 12:41 AM

It smelled like ham when he gave me that Dutch oven on our wedding night.

by Anonymousreply 5January 20, 2018 12:56 AM

He was briefly -- VERY briefly -- married to Ethel Merman. They divorced within a few weeks.

In Merman's autobiography, there's a chapter titled "My Marriage to Ernest Borgnine." The rest of the page is blank, followed on the next page by the next chapter. She said her publisher's lawyers wouldn't let her print anything she had written.

She told friends privately that he couldn't get it up on their wedding night and then the next morning he'd asked her for a substantial amount of money because he had huge debts she had known nothing about.

by Anonymousreply 6January 20, 2018 1:03 AM

I guess he got by on his looks.

by Anonymousreply 7January 20, 2018 1:10 AM

BTW, meant to add that he won the Academy Award for Best Actor for Marty, which, needless to say, gave his career a huge boost. Marty was first done as an episode of an anthology TV show with Rod Steiger. The kinescope survives and many people feel Steiger gave the better performance, although Borgnine is good.

by Anonymousreply 8January 20, 2018 1:11 AM

He was wonderful in "Marty." Nuanced and understated, and very effective. I agree that as time went on, he became an old hambone, but he actually did have talent.

by Anonymousreply 9January 20, 2018 1:11 AM

My favorite Borgnine clip! Odd that ethel said he couldn't get it up, maybe he just couldn't get it up for her...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 20, 2018 1:14 AM

Another vote for Ernie in Marty. I was actually shocked at how good he was. Very subtle and moving performance. Not at all what I expected. Short and great film.

by Anonymousreply 11January 20, 2018 1:37 AM

I have a soft spot for Ernest Borgnine. It probably goes back to McHale's Navy even though it was a little before my time.

I never saw Marty but based on the comments above I'll try to find it online.

by Anonymousreply 12January 20, 2018 1:44 AM

The original production of Marty on TV with Rod Steiger and Nancy Marchand, 1953.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 20, 2018 1:48 AM

He refused to watch "Brokeback Mountain" and can R.I.H.

by Anonymousreply 14January 20, 2018 1:48 AM

Thanks R13

by Anonymousreply 15January 20, 2018 1:51 AM

He was one of the most well loved character actors of his day and well thought of in his old age. Any interview you ever see with him he seemed like the nicest guy in the world.

Check out this video of him giving a tour of his RV. He seemed like he was a normal down to earth old grandpa.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 20, 2018 1:56 AM

Hammiest ?

Nonsense.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 20, 2018 2:09 AM

I worked with him once, sweet, sweet, sweet old guy. Wouldn't let us pick him up in a limo, so he rode in the front seat of my 7 year old Volvo. He was shooting a cameo in a low budget film, but had lunch with the crew and cast members everyday he was on set. He happened to be here during a event for WWII vets, so he attended and spent several hours at 90yo shaking the hands of veterans and signing autographs. He also took me to lunch on his final day and signed a copy of his book with a lovely note thanking me for my help in arranging his flights. etc.

Sweet old man, I think his comments on BBM were misconstrued because he had an assistant who was clearly gay who he seemed to adore. All in all, a true hollywood professional who never once came across as any more "famous" than your grandfather down the street.

by Anonymousreply 18January 20, 2018 2:19 AM

He was a chronic masterbater, which was fine by me.

by Anonymousreply 19January 20, 2018 2:20 AM

R5 , think you meant Ethel M.

by Anonymousreply 20January 20, 2018 2:29 AM

R14, he knew it was a piece of maudlin crap.

by Anonymousreply 21January 20, 2018 2:48 AM

I was hammier

by Anonymousreply 22January 20, 2018 3:01 AM

You want Jan, I'll give you ham!

by Anonymousreply 23January 20, 2018 3:11 AM

Lee Grant is the hammiest.

by Anonymousreply 24January 20, 2018 3:12 AM

Yeah? You betcha

by Anonymousreply 25January 20, 2018 3:13 AM

He starred TWICE with Miss D!

by Anonymousreply 26January 20, 2018 3:14 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!