Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Susan Saint James @ The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf Wearing No Make-Up

Susan is in the background while the TMZ person is talking to her husband Dick Ebersole

Then they catch up with Susan, and she doesn't have a stitch of make-up on

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72April 5, 2019 3:47 AM

I remember when she was younger she tried to project a hippie, carefree persona who was into love and acceptance.

When she was no longer young she went right back to being the snotty private school girl from a wealthy background now that she was married to a wealthy man.

by Anonymousreply 1January 10, 2018 9:05 PM

She looks and acts OK, for someone no longer in the public eye. Actually, she's not bad for 71.

by Anonymousreply 2January 10, 2018 9:06 PM

So? I wear no make up every day. Where are my goddamned headlines?

by Anonymousreply 3January 10, 2018 9:06 PM

Because a 70 year old woman no one has ever heard of needs to wear makeup to grab coffee? Time really does need to be up on this crazy thinking. So many ancient gay men on here with mommy issues, always dictating propriety. Even a schoolboy would laugh at you. #TimesUP

by Anonymousreply 4January 10, 2018 9:12 PM

In my youth, my dear Mother stated quite adamantly that no real lady ever left the house without a hat, gloves, and stockings on her legs. And full make-up, of course.

by Anonymousreply 5January 10, 2018 9:16 PM

R3 I’m with you.

When she was younger she was part of that whole Jonathan Livingston Seagull crowd. Between Peggy Maxwell and Sally McMillan.

by Anonymousreply 6January 10, 2018 9:17 PM

R4 Kathy Griffin’s insane-sounding tirade video took TMZ to task for being misogynistic, and this video (and whatever sad person excitedly posted it) are evidence of it. For fuck’s sake, a retired woman is buying coffee at an airport as her husband is asked about sexual abuse and the headline is that she is not wearing makeup. Harvey Levin should be burned at the stake.

by Anonymousreply 7January 10, 2018 9:17 PM

That's it R7.

by Anonymousreply 8January 10, 2018 9:19 PM

[quote]Because a 70 year old woman no one has ever heard of needs to wear makeup to grab coffee?

She starred in TWO long-running TV series, so your statement is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 9January 10, 2018 10:11 PM

You carefully ignored the rest of my statement R9.

[quote]Time really does need to be up on this crazy thinking. So many ancient gay men on here with mommy issues, always dictating propriety. Even a schoolboy would laugh at you. #TimesUP

I should have specified that no one under 45 has ever heard of her, though that wasn't really my point. Happy now Gramps?

by Anonymousreply 10January 10, 2018 10:16 PM

Have we forgotten what non-surgically “enhanced” women look like. She looks great.

by Anonymousreply 11January 10, 2018 10:25 PM

I wonder if she still talks to Jane Curtin.

by Anonymousreply 12January 10, 2018 10:30 PM

TMZ is a cancer.

by Anonymousreply 13January 10, 2018 10:31 PM

Since this is a TMZ-related post, I won't even click on the link. TMZ is God-awful and Harvey Levin is pondscum, so is anyone who works for him.

by Anonymousreply 14January 10, 2018 11:05 PM

A "stitch" of make-up? What the hell does that mean, OP?

by Anonymousreply 15January 10, 2018 11:07 PM

Good for her, if she's retired and doesn't want or need to fake it anymore.

She was great in MacMillan &Wife (looking back such a sexist title) and then Kate & Allie, and was lovely about Rock Hudson when he was ill and after he died.

by Anonymousreply 16January 10, 2018 11:35 PM

[quote]looking back such a sexist title

What should they have called it, [italic]MacMillan & Beard?[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 17January 10, 2018 11:38 PM

She looks great you haters.

Rosabelle can't help it if she's gorgeous and irresistible

by Anonymousreply 18January 10, 2018 11:50 PM

[quote][R4] Kathy Griffin’s insane-sounding tirade video took TMZ to task for being misogynistic

Let's be fair, sometimes they dehumanize and ridicule men, too.

by Anonymousreply 19January 11, 2018 1:50 AM

She looks like a still-pretty, healthy 70-year-old. Far better than the women who have pulled and stretched everything all to hell.

by Anonymousreply 20January 11, 2018 1:56 AM

Can we talk about "The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf". Why would she get coffee from that joint?

by Anonymousreply 21January 11, 2018 1:59 AM

After 2 shorter marriages, Susan has been married to Dick Ebersole for 36? 37? years. Good lord.

Good for them. Good for couples finding love "later in life." Good for anyone willing to accept graceful aging in themselves and their partners.

Occasionally, I ponder this youth-obsessed culture. And it revolts me.

by Anonymousreply 22January 11, 2018 2:03 AM

Again why would she go get coffee at "The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf"?

by Anonymousreply 23January 11, 2018 2:04 AM

Dick Ebersole created SNL, one of the most homophobic shows in the history of TV. They wrote countless sketches in which gays were ridiculed and made fun of. He had a hand in it so I hope that Susan Saint James knows that she married an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 24January 11, 2018 2:07 AM

[quote] Dick Ebersole created SNL, one of the most homophobic shows in the history of TV. They wrote countless sketches in which gays were ridiculed and made fun of. He had a hand in it so I hope that Susan Saint James knows that she married an asshole.

Their son died in a plane crash

by Anonymousreply 25January 11, 2018 2:09 AM

Are any of her kids gay?

by Anonymousreply 26January 11, 2018 2:12 AM

Y'all ARE Harvey Weinstein, except older, taller and fatter. Criticizing everyone except your own personal divas. F@gs are a destructive presence when given petty power.

by Anonymousreply 27January 11, 2018 2:24 AM

My heart broke for her when she was interviewed about her son dying in the plane crash. He was just a kid.

by Anonymousreply 28January 11, 2018 2:29 AM

into adulthood, I had a schoolboy crush on Susan St. James. If I remember correctly, she was born Susan Miller.

2) When her son died in a plane crash, the headlines read "Dick Eberson's son dies in plane crash"; it wasn't until the sixth or seventh paragraph that she was mentioned as his mother

by Anonymousreply 29January 11, 2018 2:30 AM

Make that Ebersole

by Anonymousreply 30January 11, 2018 2:31 AM

r30 Make it EBERSOL. Christine Ebersole; Dick Ebersol.

by Anonymousreply 31January 11, 2018 2:39 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 11, 2018 2:40 AM

I always thought SSJ was a "handsome woman" rather than a truly beautiful one. But she always has a great head of hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33January 11, 2018 3:39 AM

Briefly a blonde (unconvingly), but then... weren't we all?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34January 11, 2018 3:41 AM

Doing the KLUTE thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 11, 2018 3:43 AM

If I'm not mistaken, she and Curtin had a slightly frosty relationship. Issues over who was the star of K&A. It'd be interesting to see, in the here and now if they're friends, out and out hate each other, or are respectful but not close.

by Anonymousreply 36January 11, 2018 3:47 AM

Loved her in Where Angels Go, Trouble Follows

by Anonymousreply 37January 11, 2018 3:47 AM

She was in the right place at the right time, playing the "girl Friday" to all 3 leads in the NBC show "The Name of the Game". I think hers was the only character that showed up across the 3.

I remember her character as really annoying and cutesy. And the idea that she had this prime job with a publications company was too silly.

by Anonymousreply 38January 11, 2018 3:50 AM

Interesting, R36.

Jane is a total professional. KATE AND ALLIE ran for 5 years, then THIRD ROCK FROM THE SUN ran for 5 more. Both series are largely forgotten now, but they were profitable network hits in their day. Of the freshman class of SNL, Jane was always the smart, sensible one: doing SNL, then taking the train home to her family in Connecticut. She and Belushi despised each other: Jane didn't like drugs or lack of discipline, and he was just the opposite.

In that respect, she's far more like Susan than like her colleagues at SNL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39January 11, 2018 4:02 AM

[quote]r23 Again why would she go get coffee at "The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf"?

I remember in one interview, Madonna says she goes there.

There's one very centrally located on Sunset Boulevard.

by Anonymousreply 40January 11, 2018 4:27 AM

by Anonymousreply 41January 11, 2018 4:34 AM

The loss of her son in a plane crash left her devastated.

by Anonymousreply 42January 11, 2018 5:38 AM

she looks like her daughter on Drew Carey.

by Anonymousreply 43January 11, 2018 11:58 AM

Did she bring her Emmys?

Ooops how embarassing

by Anonymousreply 44January 11, 2018 11:59 AM

I thought that she and Dick separated for awhile?

by Anonymousreply 45January 11, 2018 3:05 PM

The fact that Entertainment Weekly can never get the cast to pose for a "Kate & Allie" reunion speaks volumes

by Anonymousreply 46January 11, 2018 3:07 PM

I thought she was charming on “The Name of the Game”, and what a coup for a young actress to work with so many amazing veteran actors on the show.

Her appearance on “Oprah” after the plane crash was very moving, and her son who appeared on the show with her was very handsome and well-spoken. Kind of a jolt to learn that he later dated Britney Spears!

by Anonymousreply 47January 11, 2018 3:28 PM

Harvey Levin is a sociopathic Jewish queen. I wonder if karma will ever rip him to shreds.

by Anonymousreply 48January 11, 2018 3:45 PM

Her niece, Christa Miller, starred on "The Drew Carey Show," "Scrubs," and "Cougartown." She's married to Bill Lawrence, who produced/created the last two.

by Anonymousreply 49January 11, 2018 8:36 PM

Has a Kate & Allie reunion been an annual goal for Entertainment Weekly? That's actually pretty awesome.

by Anonymousreply 50January 11, 2018 11:04 PM

When Jane won an Emmy for Kate and Allie, didn't she say something about Susan, something like it's better than working with a trained poodle? And Susan's parents were being filmed by ET and watching the Emmy's, and it was embarrassing. I remember watching it at the time and cringing for them.

by Anonymousreply 51January 11, 2018 11:10 PM

For what it is worth, Rock Hudson despised her.

I did feel bad about them losing the son in the crash, though. Weren't they all on the plane together?

by Anonymousreply 52January 11, 2018 11:16 PM

Am I the only one who remembers her in What's So Bad About Feeling Good?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53January 11, 2018 11:20 PM

Jane and Susan got along great that first season. Then Jane won the Emmy. She made some weird comment thanking Susan "because you couldn't do it with a trained poodle". The camera flashed to Susan clearly faking a laugh but looking puzzled. She later admitted that her feelings were hurt that she lost. Then Jane won the next year, which infuriated Susan even more. Jane didn't show up to accept, however, and rumors started circulating that there was a rift between the two. There were also rumors going around at that time that Sharon Gless was not happy over Tyne's repeated wins for Cagney and Lacey which had led to some tense moments on the set. But Sharon wound up winning two.

Jane is still very close with the actors who played her kids on the show. Susan said in an interview that Jane and her talk from time to time to catch up.

by Anonymousreply 54January 11, 2018 11:20 PM

Loved her short hair in Where Angels Go, Trouble Follows. That was the time when all the girls wore it long (I'm an ElderGay so I remember). Didn't SSJ or Jane have a baby during Kate and Allie and the other had to carry the show without her for a while? As far as Tyne and Sharon go that's total BS about the Emmys. They were close then and they remain close and supportive of eachother today.

by Anonymousreply 55January 11, 2018 11:34 PM

Susan, during the '86-'87 season. There were a couple episodes where Kate was confined to a bed (needed her tonsils out?, had the flu). Good showcase for Jane, though.

by Anonymousreply 56January 11, 2018 11:41 PM

Susan had the kid, and Jane had to do a number of episodes without her (including one which was a backdoor pilot for Andrea Martin) .

The stuff about Cagney and Lacey was just rumors. When Sharon won, she first thanked Daly and said something like she was the most relieved woman sitting in the room tonight. Tyne was clearly happy for her. A total contrast to Jane's speech.

by Anonymousreply 57January 11, 2018 11:42 PM

Does anyone else remember when the actor who played Chip, Jane's son, appeared on OZ (all grown up, of course). And he was NKD!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 58January 12, 2018 12:17 AM

R58 I remember

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59January 12, 2018 12:34 AM

I thought it was great when Tyne won that first Emmy she not only thanked Gless but also Meg Foster and Loretta Swit.

by Anonymousreply 60January 12, 2018 12:42 AM

That's quite the nutsack in the photo at R589's post...

by Anonymousreply 61January 12, 2018 9:20 AM

People have really lost sight of what an older woman should look like.

A mere 45 years ago when I was a kid, 70 year old ladies were silver haired and wore sensible shoes and girdles under their dresses.

If you did not know who you were looking at, you could easily think that SSJ was a 50 something who needed a good night's sleep. With her bed head and hoodie nothing screams old lady about her.

As so many have already said, I'll take that look over the stretched and inflated faces and lips of the 65-75 crowd today.

by Anonymousreply 62January 12, 2018 9:38 AM

I think that Susan Saint James looks fine in OP’s video.

by Anonymousreply 63January 12, 2018 11:47 AM

Tyne is pure class. I work midtown East near her apt building and have passed her on the street and seen her waiting for the bus several times. Very unassuming and lovely.

by Anonymousreply 64January 13, 2018 12:44 AM

Agreed on Tyne Daly, R64 — though I didn’t watch “Cagney and Lacey”, she was terrific on a couple of of “Columbo” episodes (including a juicy role as the killer), delightful in the otherwise lackluster “Bye Bye Birdie” remake, and a treat in “My Name is Doris”!

by Anonymousreply 65January 13, 2018 1:48 AM

both were nominated for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series after the show's first season. Saint James had already been nominated six times and had won once (for NBC's 1968-71 adventure series The Name of the Game). And she had it in her head that she was about to collect another when she headed to the ceremony. "Entertainment Tonight had sent a crew to my house and had cameras on my family," she told TV Guide in 1986. Also, Don Knotts was the presenter, and he had handed me the Emmy I won years earlier. I thought that was a sign."

Wishful thinking, that. Knotts ended up handing the Emmy to Curtin. "I'm not going to lie to you, I suffered," St. James said of that moment. "I had a lot of hositility aimed at Jane, and she didn't even vote."

If only it had ended there. When Curtin got up to accept, she inadvertently rubbed salt in the wound. "I should really thank Susan Saint James," she said to the TV audience, "because you can't do it with a trained poodle."

Ouch. "Most people thought it was an 'in' joke, something between us," St. James said. "It is now. I'm so different from Jane. If I'd won it, I would have said, 'I can't possibly consider this for myself because it's Katenallie, one word.' After all, you have months to think about what you'll say. But that's Jane. When all else fails, she thinks of a quick one-liner. Humor has been her way out."

Curtin felt appropriately guilty, though. "Susan wasn't wild about my acceptance speech and neither was I," she said. "I was in a state of shock when I won, because I was always the bridesmaid on Saturday Night Live. I have almost no recollection of what I did that night."

Fair enough. And Saint James got over it after a period of sulking. "Jane and I just can't not have fun when we work together," she said. "That rides over stuff like this, which is inflicted on us by society and never would have existed otherwise."

Good attitude, no? Well, it was put to the test once more the following year, when both were nominated and Curtin won again. That time, however, there was no dramatic moment. Saint James, sadly, suffered a miscarried pregnancy days before the ceremony and didn't attend. Curtin, too, elected not to go and thus wasn't there to accept. She chalked it up to a scheduling conflict.

Other than that, though, the two did get along well.

by Anonymousreply 66January 13, 2018 1:59 AM

I'm waiting for the Netflix reboot where Kate and Allie are lesbians played by Nene Leakes and JLo.

by Anonymousreply 67January 19, 2018 11:14 PM

Sassy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68January 19, 2018 11:52 PM

I always liked her voice.

by Anonymousreply 69January 20, 2018 12:21 AM

She has “draw-your-own” Mexican eyebrows.

by Anonymousreply 70January 20, 2018 2:12 AM

Susan Saint James played the Gal Friday to all three stars of “The Name of the Game” (Robert Stack, Gene Barry and Tony Franciosa) but by all accounts, she Old-Hollywood bastion Robert Stack didn’t get along. That’s why there are several Stack-headlined shows in which Saint James did not appear at all.

by Anonymousreply 71January 22, 2018 12:53 PM

Bump. Just happened to be thinking about Susan. She really left acting behind. She had two kids with her first husband, named Sunshine and Harmony. This was around the time Barbara Hershey changed her name to Barbara Seagull and named her son Free.

by Anonymousreply 72April 5, 2019 3:47 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!