Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"The Far Side" Anniversary

"The Far Side" debuted on January 1, 1980.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 2, 2018 3:51 AM

I loved the far side and as a kid bought some of his books, why did he stop making them?

by Anonymousreply 1January 1, 2018 7:49 PM

I love this OP

by Anonymousreply 2January 1, 2018 7:53 PM

A poor man’s kliban imo

by Anonymousreply 3January 1, 2018 7:54 PM

While Kliban wass very good, Gary Larson was genius. I believe he stopped because he said he had begun to repeat himself. He wass so popular with entomologists I believe they named a bug after him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 1, 2018 8:06 PM

^^Sorry, but I have a sticky "s".

by Anonymousreply 5January 1, 2018 8:07 PM

And don't forget his "Life in Hell," with Akbar and Jeff being rather foundational gay characters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 1, 2018 8:12 PM

funny stuff

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 1, 2018 8:14 PM

R6 - two different cartoonists. "Life In Hell" was by Matt Groening who would go on to do "The Simpson"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 1, 2018 8:15 PM

Always one of my favorites.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 1, 2018 8:15 PM

After all these years, still one of my favorites.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 1, 2018 8:16 PM

And its feline counterpart.

Of course, R8. I had a graxy-induced moment of idiocy. Thank you. As my Tante Sophie would say, "I'm so embrassed."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 1, 2018 8:17 PM

ONE more favorite (can't find the one of the dog intently sniffing a spot on the pavement as Armageddon, nuclear bombs, mass destruction and all hell takes place around it).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 1, 2018 8:20 PM

all-time classic

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 1, 2018 8:20 PM

They used to sell T shirts with Larson cartoons on them. My favorite was the Larson cartoon with the girl chimp holding a blonde hair and telling the boy chimp "You've been hanging around with that slut Jane Goodall again.."

by Anonymousreply 14January 1, 2018 8:20 PM

I can't remember if I bought this or someone gave it to me but I had a shirt with this cartoon on it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 1, 2018 8:22 PM

R14, this article deals with the Jane Goodall incident, and I forgot that they named (unofficially) a dinosaur part after one of his cartoons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 1, 2018 8:27 PM

This one has been hanging in the office at our local volunteer fire department add long as I can remember and still makes me laugh:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 1, 2018 9:20 PM

His art was basically a straight copy of kliban and hid humor was surrealism for the hoi polloi, as opposed to kliban’s much more subversive, esoteric and darker work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 1, 2018 10:19 PM

One of my favorites. I had this t-shirt and wore it until it died.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 1, 2018 11:03 PM

This one's always been a favorite:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 1, 2018 11:21 PM

I always liked this one. Actually I liked them all but this sticks in the memory most.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 1, 2018 11:22 PM

My favorite:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 1, 2018 11:27 PM

He was very prescient about the world we live in and managed to find a way to convey what the world is like in a funny way.

For example:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 1, 2018 11:30 PM

R21 lol, that took me a second.

by Anonymousreply 24January 2, 2018 3:37 AM

My favourite

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 2, 2018 3:43 AM

Love this stuff!

by Anonymousreply 26January 2, 2018 3:51 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!