Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Miracle on 34th Street on TCM tonight

John Payne as the hot Mr. Gailey!

Maureen O'Hara as the mom who lets her child visit with strange men unattended in their apartments!

Thelma Ritter as the mom who wants to have a world with Santa Claus herself!

Plus Alfred, the "fat boy" who's probably skinnier than 80% of boys his age today in America — AND the Littlest Holocaust Survivor who duets on "Sinter Klaus Kapuncha" with Edmund Gwenn!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 26, 2018 3:44 AM

Not listed.

by Anonymousreply 1December 16, 2017 11:09 PM

I don't see it on the cable schedule for tonight. Are you sure it's TCM?

by Anonymousreply 2December 16, 2017 11:10 PM

Sorry, r1 and r2 — it's AMC, not TCM.

by Anonymousreply 3December 16, 2017 11:11 PM

Hmmm, Miracle or Singin' In The Rain (TCM)? Tough choice.

by Anonymousreply 4December 16, 2017 11:12 PM

By way of apology, I bring you this picture of young John Payne!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 16, 2017 11:13 PM

Ben Mankiewicz of TCM and Alonso Duralde covered the movie just this week, if you're interested in trivia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 16, 2017 11:17 PM

I watched this recently and was struck by John Payne's resemblance to Kevin Spacey.

by Anonymousreply 7December 16, 2017 11:17 PM

They wouldn't DARE air the colorized version on AMC! Would they? I always cry during the Dutch girl scene. You can just see the love and affection the mother has when the kid looks up at her. I love this movie. Yes, Payne is so lovely to look at.

"Susan, I speak French but that doesn't make me Joan of Arc!" I love when Mr Schelhammer sees Doris with the flask...he gasps "Mrs Walker!!"

by Anonymousreply 8December 16, 2017 11:19 PM

In the scene where Alfred confesses to Kris that he's been seeing the "store psychiatrist," who thinks Alfred likes to play Santa because something bad happened to him as a child, is that a 1940s reference to molestation?

by Anonymousreply 9December 16, 2017 11:22 PM

Just again watched this classic & would like some input on what others think John Payne's Fred means when, upon seeing a cane in the corner of the house at the end of the film, he concludes, "Maybe I didn't do such a wonderful thing after all (in proving that his client was Santa Claus)"? I've long presumed that he means to convey that it wasn't such a masterful job of lawyering if, in fact, his client was, indeed, Santa. I asked a colleague, who, fair warning is certifiably insane, actually played Fred in a local theater production & is take had more to do with the character now realizing that he would have to start a family with Doris & Susie.

by Anonymousreply 10December 26, 2018 12:35 AM

But he was scheming to marry Doris and move in with the two of them since reel one.

by Anonymousreply 11December 26, 2018 3:06 AM

R10, I'm with you. I've never understood what that line meant.

by Anonymousreply 12December 26, 2018 3:31 AM

The movie is OK but that version was awful

by Anonymousreply 13December 26, 2018 3:38 AM

R10 "he means to convey that it wasn't such a masterful job of lawyering if, in fact, his client was, indeed, Santa. "

Yes - that is it. You nailed it.

by Anonymousreply 14December 26, 2018 3:42 AM

R14 here. I love the way this movie ends. I have watched it countless times. John Payne delivers that line beautifully.

by Anonymousreply 15December 26, 2018 3:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!