Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

2018 Pyongyang Winter Olympics

Will they be cancelled?

It's less than 100 days away, and there's still so much tension on the Korean Peninsula.

by Anonymousreply 231February 26, 2018 12:19 PM

No! The Olympics are not about politics!

by Anonymousreply 1November 25, 2017 6:00 PM

Yeah, but R1 it's not really about politics.

People might just be scared of getting bombed by that freaky dictator, who might just try something funny.

He's quite capable of bombing these Olympics because of their proximity to him.

by Anonymousreply 2November 25, 2017 6:04 PM

The Olympics are totally about politics.

by Anonymousreply 3November 25, 2017 7:09 PM

OP, I think you mean Pyeongchang

by Anonymousreply 4November 25, 2017 7:15 PM

OP, Pyongyang is the capital of North Korea.

The 2018 Winter Olympics will be held in Pyeonchang, which is in South Korea.

North Korea and South Korea are separate countries.

by Anonymousreply 5November 25, 2017 11:57 PM

OP = DJT

by Anonymousreply 6November 26, 2017 12:00 AM

Well, geographical misgivings aside, will the Olympics still go on????

I'm starting to think that it will be less and less likely.

by Anonymousreply 7November 26, 2017 12:04 AM

This is terrible. Think of all the people who will get off at the wrong airport.

by Anonymousreply 8November 26, 2017 5:50 AM

No, it might not go on.

by Anonymousreply 9November 26, 2017 5:58 AM

The last few Olympics have been underwhelming compared to the games held from 1980s-2000s.

The Olympics - while still popular - are on a downward trend.

by Anonymousreply 10November 26, 2017 6:18 AM

The only reason the Russians aren't being prevented from participating is that they know in the event they were, they'd probably sponsor some sort of terror attack on the Olympics.

by Anonymousreply 11November 26, 2017 12:53 PM

R10 I grew up in the 90s (born in early 80s) and I totally agree with you. I esp. remember the Barcelona, Atlanta, and Nagano games. T

by Anonymousreply 12November 26, 2017 1:21 PM

OP ain't got no Seoul.

by Anonymousreply 13November 26, 2017 3:38 PM

I think people stopped caring about the olympics when (1) we gained access to so much entertainment 24/7 and (2) the olympics started rotating on a 2 year schedule

by Anonymousreply 14November 26, 2017 3:54 PM

If the Russians don't win the figure skating, they will sponsor an attack anyway.

by Anonymousreply 15November 26, 2017 4:06 PM

You're probably right, R 14. The two-year rotation started in '92-'94 when they held the Winter Games just two years later to get them off-cycle with the summer games. (Albertville and Lillehammer, IIRC, but can't remember which was first.) But after that time, there was still a lot of attention on the games, whether because they were US-based (Atlanta, Salt Lake), or historic for other reasons (Athens, Beijing).

The last couple (Sochi, Rio), and now the upcoming games, haven't really registered the way Olympics typically do.

by Anonymousreply 16November 26, 2017 4:20 PM

Even I wouldn't go to war in an Olympic year

by Anonymousreply 17November 26, 2017 7:02 PM

I'm going to subscribe to cable just so I can't see more events. I love watching the Olympics.

by Anonymousreply 18November 26, 2017 7:19 PM

I lost interest in watching the Olympics after the coverage became just one Heartwarming(TM) story after another of Triumph Over Adversity(TM).

by Anonymousreply 19November 26, 2017 7:35 PM

NBC Olympic coverage is awful, r19.

by Anonymousreply 20November 26, 2017 7:48 PM

I agree, R20, ABC’s was far superior.

by Anonymousreply 21November 26, 2017 7:51 PM

I loved the London 2012 Olympics just because of One Direction...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 26, 2017 8:31 PM

It’s sad that they have been doing the olympics for 30 years, and people still think ABC coverage is superior. You think NBC would have learned a thing or two...

The network must be dreading this cycle, there seems to be no buzz going into these games.

by Anonymousreply 23November 26, 2017 8:42 PM

If Trump can keep his big mouth shut and not insult Kim, I think the games will be peaceful.

by Anonymousreply 24November 26, 2017 8:44 PM

[quote] there seems to be no buzz going into these games

I agree. These games or the next.

I think that LA in 2024 will be able to generate some buzz.

That is, if Donald Dump doesn't manage to get us all blown up.

by Anonymousreply 25November 26, 2017 8:45 PM

Sochi was ridiculous with the announcers pretending to be cold in winter coats in 67 degree weather. I’m so sick of NBC’s coverage of it too, and the scorecards obscuring the speedos of the male divers.

When I was a kid in the 70s and 80s, the Olympics was an eagerly anticipated event because it was every four years. You were excited because it was a long time in between.

by Anonymousreply 26November 26, 2017 8:46 PM

Anyway, just knowing the disgusting Matt Lauer could be attached to the coverage in some way makes me never want to watch. I think ABC is smart to not spend the billions on this turkey.

by Anonymousreply 27November 26, 2017 8:48 PM

Yeah, Sochi was a total farce.

Russia has one of the coldest climates on Earth, and they choose to hold the Winter Olympics in a tropical location, where everything from the bobsled runs to the ski slopes, was melting.

What a bunch of fucking idiots they are.

by Anonymousreply 28November 26, 2017 8:53 PM

R25, I believe Paris gets 2024 and LA is 2028.

It was definitely wise of ABC not to overspend, but if the IOC was smart, it would have gone with ABC’s bid the last time the broadcast rights were negotiated. They were too greedy and NBC can’t bring them the kind of continues relevance having a partner with Disney could have.

by Anonymousreply 29November 26, 2017 8:54 PM

It seems as though many of the people who run the games are corrupt. And we all know abut it now. That's a turnoff. Cities bid for these games and get stuck with bills they can't pay, while as in Rio, there are poor people all over the place. Turnoff. And lastly, for me, having pros in it really ruined it even though I kind of get why they did it. I think it's a sport by sport thing.. Knowing too much behind the scenes stuff has hurt the games. They should just have the games in the same city every time.

by Anonymousreply 30November 26, 2017 9:11 PM

[quote]This is terrible. Think of all the people who will get off at the wrong airport.

I see it as a hit at next year's Tony's, "The Team's Visit" : sultry S. Korean fencer spends lustful night with taciturn, trumpet playing N. Korean gymnast

by Anonymousreply 31November 26, 2017 9:18 PM

How much are tickets to Pyongyang?

by Anonymousreply 32November 26, 2017 9:24 PM

R32 You should probably not plan on buying a round trip ticket.

by Anonymousreply 33November 26, 2017 11:09 PM

This is a great way get that low South Korean birth rate up.

by Anonymousreply 34November 26, 2017 11:13 PM

R 24: How can one insult Kim? If called a mass-murdering, totalitarian, dynastic Communist, he would say, "gee, thanks."

by Anonymousreply 35November 27, 2017 6:26 PM

Okay gays,you can watch the Olympics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 21, 2018 8:53 PM

Gawd! Cannot believe she is actually dating US snowboarding punk, Shaun White!

The lovely Sarah Barthel, lead singer of 'Phantogram' -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37February 4, 2018 9:42 PM

Far form cancelling the Olympics, North and South Korea have joined together with their women's ice hockey team.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38February 4, 2018 10:17 PM

They're also marching under one flag. Prissy Pence wants this to stop! It's not going according to Trump's plans because he got no credit for thawing in the relations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39February 4, 2018 10:19 PM

OP = Dora Dumbfuck, Worldtravller and Ingenué .

by Anonymousreply 40February 4, 2018 10:26 PM

Shitty little ski mountain with a vertical drop less than 2500 feet.

by Anonymousreply 41February 4, 2018 10:41 PM

Please, Please, Please, Please tell us the Olympics' Drama Queen, Ashley Wagner, does not wrangle her way in to this year's games as an "Expert Commentator" - PUHLEEEZE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42February 9, 2018 2:18 AM

The Pairs' Short Program is on now in the US . . . Dammit, She TRIPPED at the end!

Men's short program: the US guy fell - Nerves.

by Anonymousreply 43February 9, 2018 2:24 AM

Ashley is still hoping to skate, if one of the other girls can’t skate.

by Anonymousreply 44February 9, 2018 2:24 AM

R44 = Ashley.

by Anonymousreply 45February 9, 2018 2:36 AM

I know many of you will not agree, but I love the Olympics, and especially the Winter Games.

The Summer Olympics always lose me after swimming and diving end and the focus shifts to "athletics" (track and field)

by Anonymousreply 46February 9, 2018 2:54 AM

The Winter Olympic games always have the most dynamic images!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47February 9, 2018 3:09 AM

The dumb American really screwed the pooch.

by Anonymousreply 48February 9, 2018 3:14 AM

These male skaters suck, but the Russian had a nice ass!

by Anonymousreply 49February 9, 2018 4:56 AM

[quote] Men's short program: the US guy fell - Nerves

Actually, it's because he SUCKS.

They should have sent the other guy who got screwed out of his rightful position on the team. At least he doesn't CHOKE under pressure.

by Anonymousreply 50February 9, 2018 11:26 AM

Shirtless Tongan is shirtless again, per Twitter. Hope he doesn’t catch cold.

by Anonymousreply 51February 9, 2018 11:45 AM

Why would a tropical Tongan be in these games? This is pandering to the lowest class.

by Anonymousreply 52February 9, 2018 11:50 AM

Guess I must be one of the pandered lower class.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53February 9, 2018 12:00 PM

R52 apparently he qualified as a cross-country skier

by Anonymousreply 54February 9, 2018 12:01 PM

Yu Na Kim lights the Olympic torch...

by Anonymousreply 55February 9, 2018 12:11 PM

Somehow I'm just not into the Olympics when they're in asia.

My favorite Olympic games have always been in Europe. The US and Canada are also ok.

I probably won't be watching much of these or the 2020 Olympics. Looking forward to 2024 in Paris, though!

by Anonymousreply 56February 9, 2018 12:14 PM

r54

I bet if he had a pot belly he wouldn't be "qualified"

by Anonymousreply 57February 9, 2018 12:31 PM

Pita is gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 58February 9, 2018 12:35 PM

Gus Kenworthy & Adam Rippon 🏳️‍🌈

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59February 9, 2018 1:31 PM

Those gloves are hidjus.

by Anonymousreply 60February 9, 2018 2:54 PM

Surprised that Gus would even stand with Adam at R59, since Gus is such a "manly man" and doesn't want to be seen as fem, standing with Adam.

Because we all know that Gus is a Dudebro (but still a BOTTOM) who doesn't dare associate with fem gays.

I cannot stand the guy. He makes me ill, and quite annoyed.

by Anonymousreply 61February 9, 2018 7:22 PM

Hey, thanks for that link, r59.

What a cool image. I hope lots of people are sending it to dour evil presence Veep Pence, a notorious homophobe and smarmy opportunist for decades

by Anonymousreply 62February 9, 2018 8:05 PM

R52 It’s the Olympics where countries are allowed to send someone to compete even though they might not be able to finish the competition. R53 It’s been very cold, hopefully he got more clothes to wear.

by Anonymousreply 63February 9, 2018 8:53 PM

Will "Dear Leader" be attending?

by Anonymousreply 64February 10, 2018 12:27 AM

Meet US Snowboard wizard Shaun White's hot girlfriend, Sarah Barthel of "Phantogram":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65February 10, 2018 12:58 AM

Phantogram, featuring Sarah Barthel -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66February 10, 2018 1:04 AM

That drumming thing was cool in the beginning.

All those Korean girls were beautiful, with those big flowers in their heads.

Really nice.

by Anonymousreply 67February 10, 2018 2:04 AM

Shawn is better looking as he gets older, he’s wasn’t so cute with that damn long hair...my gawd!

by Anonymousreply 68February 10, 2018 2:44 AM

The Winter Olympics, regardless of the year or location, always have the most dynamic images.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69February 10, 2018 2:46 AM

Katie's voice overs during tonight's ceremonies are numbing my ears! Help!

by Anonymousreply 70February 10, 2018 3:02 AM

Who was that hottie that had all the facts about Korea?

He's hot.

by Anonymousreply 71February 10, 2018 3:11 AM

Wow, at the tender age of 14, Shaun White is doing Botox.

by Anonymousreply 72February 10, 2018 3:26 AM

Is it too late to get a flight to PyongYang for the Olympics?

I'd really like to watch figure skating.

by Anonymousreply 73February 10, 2018 9:21 AM

I actually thought the opening ceremony was beautiful & well-done; that Korean pop music worked my nerves after awhile, but whatever I guess. They should've tried to get Meredith Viera to co-host the OC - she has a lighter touch for these kinds of things. NBC's coverage was okay, but I got tired of the many shots back to the US team during the Parade of Nations mugging for cameras and taking selfies. Yawn!

In a world full of hatred & division (mostly coming from our government), I was genuinely moved by the sight of the Korean teams marching in together. I heard something on NPR about how what many Koreans want most is unification, so it was nice to see that despite all of NK's crazy antics and stupid threats from Dump, the South Koreans embraced NK for their big night and made them a part of it. Plus, didn't you think sister of Kim Jong looked like a Bond villain? Given the side eye she was giving Pence, I hope manages to put a poisonous dart in his back before he leaves SK.

by Anonymousreply 74February 10, 2018 10:08 AM

2018 Korea, 2020 Japan, then 2022 China?

What. the. fuck.

Nobody wants to watch this shit for three Olympics in a row.

Give us a fucking break!

by Anonymousreply 75February 10, 2018 10:08 AM

Does OP seriously think this winter olympics is being held in the capital of North Korea? Damn American sissies are dumb.

by Anonymousreply 76February 10, 2018 10:21 AM

The opening ceremony was seriously lame.

Nobody wants to see foreign people singing famous songs in bad English. That "Imagine" rendition was fucking awful.

Don't they have their own culture and songs? Why do they have to sing American/British songs in broken English. JFC.

by Anonymousreply 77February 10, 2018 10:24 AM

R73 No, there are lots of tickets available but figure skating is the most popular. You should buy tickets at home. I am sure there are ticket to fly there.

by Anonymousreply 78February 10, 2018 10:24 AM

R75, I would love to see another Winter Games in North America or Europe, but no city has tried to hard to bid successfully in many years. The Olympics can end up being a financial mess.

It's hard to believe that the village of Lake Placid, NY hosted two Olympics in the 20th century, the last one 38 years ago. It's a great little town, and still hosts World Cup events, but the infrastructure and hotel accommodations even in a 100-mile radius would not accommodate a modern Olympics.

What I don't get is why Montreal or Denver haven't tried for it. It is true that 3 Asian host cities in a row is odd.

by Anonymousreply 79February 10, 2018 2:52 PM

I was a college student who worked at Lake Placid. It was wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 80February 10, 2018 3:14 PM

We won a silver and a bronze today in ski jumping. I don't care how many medals we end up winning, as long as it's more than Sweden. Kalla won instead of Bjørgen in cross country skiing yesterday. They're leading the medal table, ugh.

by Anonymousreply 81February 10, 2018 3:42 PM

As if Veep Mike Pence doesn't look goofy enough on a typical day, is he going to continue to attend sporting events at the Olympics in a dress shirt and tie? What a smarmy and vile little man.

by Anonymousreply 82February 10, 2018 6:48 PM

I thought it was very courageous of them, if someowhat in your face, to do "Imagine" knoowing that almost half of South Korea is Christian, not to mention all the crazy US Christos. Somebody on the committee had brass balls.

by Anonymousreply 83February 10, 2018 8:13 PM

Kim's sister looked constipated. And they kept showing S. Korea's president's wife as though they couldn't decide which one was the dictator's sister (HINT: the one who looked like she smelled something bad when the USA marched in).

by Anonymousreply 84February 10, 2018 8:14 PM

Does NBC use the famous Olympic Fanfare music much? I love it and miss it, but maybe it only gets played at the start and end of of prime time

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85February 10, 2018 8:21 PM

[quote]Is it too late to get a flight to PyongYang for the Olympics?

You should probably save your money and get a one-way ticket.

by Anonymousreply 86February 10, 2018 9:19 PM

[quote] Is it too late to get a flight to PyongYang for the Olympics?

Trust me, you'll regret it!

by Anonymousreply 87February 10, 2018 9:23 PM

(Putting aside the wrong city name, which was funny) but since this seems to be the main Olympics thread:

Why is it that the "X-games" type events like snowboarding, freestyle skiing, moguls and such have athletes in those big bulky pants and coats, when every other event seems to favor sleek and tight for speed and fluidity?

Seriously, is it because at the origins of their sport they were all afraid to look uncool? Because in the Olympic context they look like overstuffed kids.

Psst, half pipe winner: the Downhill winner is more famous and way cooler than you are.

by Anonymousreply 88February 10, 2018 9:35 PM

All of that X Games stuff popularized in the 1990s when bulky and baggy was in.

by Anonymousreply 89February 10, 2018 9:46 PM

I really love watching the slope style snowboarding events.

Those guys are majorly talented and it's really fun to watch.

My favorite is Max Parrot from Canada. He's both talented and cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90February 10, 2018 9:48 PM

Denver was awarded the 1976 Winter Olympics in 1970. And at the closing ceremony of the Sapporo, Japan winter games in 1972 they officially passed the flag to Denver. But in November of 1972 Colorado voters rejected a bond issue of $5 million to pay for the games. (That would not have been enough anyway.) The IOC offered the games to Whistler (Vancouver) Canada, but Canada declined. Salt Lake City offered to host the games, but the IOC declined. Finally Innsbruck, Austria, which had hosted the 1964 winter games, stepped in and offered, and the IOC accepted so the 1976 Winter Olympics were held in Innsbruck.

by Anonymousreply 91February 10, 2018 10:19 PM

Omg, that weird little 17 year old kid from Colorado won the USA's first gold medal in Korea, in Slope Style snowboarding.

His name is Red Gerard, and I was rooting for him all the way!!

He looks like such a baby, but he beat some really hard core competition like Max Parrot from Canada who is like 8 years older.

If you get a chance to watch it, it was awesome!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92February 11, 2018 2:07 AM

He's so goofy looking, but he can ride a snowboard like a motherfucker..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93February 11, 2018 2:08 AM

Americans win all of the X Games style sports.

by Anonymousreply 94February 11, 2018 2:14 AM

OMG I just woke up to Norway's first gold medal! We won a gold, silver AND bronze in cross country skiing YAAAAAS!

by Anonymousreply 95February 11, 2018 7:19 AM

What sport does Gus Kenworthy participate in?

I have no idea what he does.

by Anonymousreply 96February 11, 2018 11:40 AM

He's so goofy looking, but he can ride a snowboard like a motherfucker..

Too motherfucking right!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97February 11, 2018 11:53 AM

R97, this is Red Gerard's gold medal run.

This kid is fucking amazing. 17 years old and his talent is insane.

Just check out his twists on the last jump. Simply unbelievable.

I also kinda like his redneck family, especially his dad with the beard holding his Fitz Beer and swearing up a storm. It was hilarious that the NBC guy in the studio said, "we apologize for the cursing...." lol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98February 11, 2018 12:10 PM

R98 I was gobsmacked watching him slide alone the wall on about 30% of the board. To be 17 again and have infuckingcredible balance.

Thanx for the link! Awesome run!

by Anonymousreply 99February 11, 2018 12:25 PM

Johannes Thingnes Bø messed up and couldn't win gold in the biathlon even though he was the biggest favorite to win, maybe except Fourcade. The conditions were awful though, it was very vindy, coincidences determined who won. Lets just say the guy who won isn't exactly a known biathlete. It sucks that conditions like today can ruin something so fun to watch. Fourcade, the other favorite, only placed 8th. So it isn't just me saying this as a Norwegian. They should have postponed the biathlon until a later date. It wasn't fair today. Those who were lucky with the wind won.

by Anonymousreply 100February 11, 2018 2:05 PM

Of course the Swedes made fun of his three misses. Fucking pricks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101February 11, 2018 2:08 PM

Gus Kenworthy competes in Freestyle Skiing events (slopestyle and halfpipe).

by Anonymousreply 102February 11, 2018 2:18 PM

Pyongyang is the capital of North Korea.

The Winter Olympics are being held in PyeongChang, which is another city in South Korea. I'm surprised nobody caught this yet.

by Anonymousreply 103February 11, 2018 2:27 PM

[quote]It sucks that conditions like today can ruin something so fun to watch.

Yeah, weather is cruel. On the other hand, events like long-track speed skating and even figure skating used to be held outdoors. Speed skater Eric Heiden (possibly the hottest Olympian of all time) won five Golds skating outdoors, sometimes in windy conditions and sometimes with snow falling in his face.

by Anonymousreply 104February 11, 2018 4:03 PM

[quote] Pyongyang is the capital of North Korea.

[quote] The Winter Olympics are being held in PyeongChang, which is another city in South Korea. I'm surprised nobody caught this yet.

We caught it, but that's what makes this thread so funny.

by Anonymousreply 105February 11, 2018 7:00 PM

Are many of the outdoor sports going on in manufactured snow??

You can see the competing field full of snow but the surrounding hills devoid of it.

Obviously the temperatures help keep the snow firm but what gives?

by Anonymousreply 106February 11, 2018 7:08 PM

We can make snow even when the outdoor temps are like ten degrees or more above freezing.

Slush= snow, according to rules.

by Anonymousreply 107February 11, 2018 7:13 PM

I cried watching Red Gerard's run. Its so exciting to see someone so young be give a perfect effortless performance like that.

by Anonymousreply 108February 11, 2018 7:14 PM

[quote] You can see the competing field full of snow but the surrounding hills devoid of it.

I was wondering the same thing.

The slopes were white with snow, but the city in the background was completely dry. It was weird.

The temperatures are cold, but there's just no precipitation.

by Anonymousreply 109February 11, 2018 7:21 PM

I'm hoping that Karolina Kostner wins gold at these Olympics. She seems so sweet, and at 31 she should've retired already but loves the sport so much, she keeps going.

I want her to win!

by Anonymousreply 110February 11, 2018 7:46 PM

The Italian, R110?

She seems sweet.

by Anonymousreply 111February 11, 2018 8:15 PM

Yes that's her, R111.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112February 11, 2018 8:20 PM

North Korea brought its own cheerleaders.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113February 11, 2018 8:29 PM

I wonder if the South Koreans are embarrassed by the weirdo North Koreans?

by Anonymousreply 114February 11, 2018 8:34 PM

These games would've been far more interesting had they been held in Pyongyang.

by Anonymousreply 115February 11, 2018 8:36 PM

[quote]Pyongyang is the capital of North Korea.

You don't say.

by Anonymousreply 116February 11, 2018 8:36 PM

Not liking the NBC commentators, they need Matt Lauer back

by Anonymousreply 117February 11, 2018 8:36 PM

Kim Jong-Un needs to make an appearance seated right next to the Pences. Why not? That bit the other night with his sister was hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 118February 11, 2018 8:38 PM

This is Carolina Kostner's 4th Olympics. She won the bronze in the Ladies' in Sochi.

by Anonymousreply 119February 11, 2018 8:42 PM

I'm liking some the commercials.

The Samsung, P&G and others.

by Anonymousreply 120February 11, 2018 8:48 PM

Yes R119, Carolina won bronze in Sochi, which is why I really hope she wins gold here.

I think she's even better than the Russian girl in terms of style and technique. Carolina has such grace and charm, something all the other ladies figure skaters are lacking.

by Anonymousreply 121February 11, 2018 8:54 PM

Rebecca Lowe is just lovely, smart and so good hosting daytime on NBC.

I hope many athletes say they will be interviewed by her instead of Tirico, who doesn't deserve that prime time hosting gig yet, in my view.

by Anonymousreply 122February 11, 2018 9:01 PM

Yes, Rebecca is great.

They're borrowing her from Premier League coverage.

Love her accent.

by Anonymousreply 123February 11, 2018 9:04 PM

r103 you couldn't even be bothered to read as far as R4 or R5 before commenting? Idiot.

by Anonymousreply 124February 11, 2018 9:05 PM

Busy schedule for tonight, peeps.

by Anonymousreply 125February 11, 2018 10:16 PM

What's on tap, R125?

Any figure skating?

by Anonymousreply 126February 11, 2018 10:19 PM

Synchronized ice twerking.

by Anonymousreply 127February 11, 2018 10:20 PM

Yes! Way more figure skating plus the women's downhill (if it's not cancelled due to winds) plus Luge, I believe.

by Anonymousreply 128February 11, 2018 10:48 PM

Skiing apparently postponed for wind, but yeah, the five qualifying teams will skate men, women, dance for the team gold ( in that order, I believe).

Also women's slope style snowboard, and whatever else.

by Anonymousreply 129February 11, 2018 11:11 PM

Those muggles, or whatever they're called. It looks like it would kill your knees in one day!!

by Anonymousreply 130February 12, 2018 12:15 AM

Men's Figure Skating, long program, is currently on air.

by Anonymousreply 131February 12, 2018 12:19 AM

[R108] [quote I cried watching Red Gerard's run. Its so exciting to see someone so young be give a perfect effortless performance like that.]

Mary!

by Anonymousreply 132February 12, 2018 12:52 AM

So there is real snow in Korea.

by Anonymousreply 133February 12, 2018 12:56 AM

Ladies' Free Skate (long program) is coming up next.

by Anonymousreply 134February 12, 2018 12:57 AM

Moguls, but I like "muggles" more.

by Anonymousreply 135February 12, 2018 5:24 AM

[Quote]You can see the competing field full of snow but the surrounding hills devoid of it.

The Olympics should have been held here in Norway. We have enough snow, to put it mildly. It's been snowing for 72 hours straight now. Woke up to another 30 cm on the ground.

by Anonymousreply 136February 12, 2018 5:28 AM

Norway had its chance at Lillehammer '94. Norway came in first with 26 medals, even though Russia won more gold. Sweden won a total of 3 medals.

On 25 October 1993, the United Nations General Assembly urged its members to observe the Olympic truce from seven days before to seven days after the Olympic games, making the Lillehammer games the first to observe the truce. IOC appealed for a truce in the ongoing Bosnian War and the Siege of Sarajevo.

by Anonymousreply 137February 12, 2018 5:39 AM

How come they don't show any of the medal ceremonies?

by Anonymousreply 138February 12, 2018 5:43 AM

They do. Change channels. Or watch them on Youtube. Tons posted.

by Anonymousreply 139February 12, 2018 5:45 AM

Red Gerard's medal ceremony was shown on Sunday (the day after his win), R138.

He's really poised for a 17 year old. Well, maybe he made one silly face, but the kid handles himself well in the spotlight. Kudo's to his ZZ Top looking dad and bleach blonde mom for raising a good son.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140February 12, 2018 11:05 AM

I am SO in love with Scott Moir.

He and Tessa Virtue are the best ice dancing pair ever, in my opinion. Best looking, too.

Am I the only one here who finds Scott to be incredibly attractive??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141February 12, 2018 11:07 AM

Have to say Red brought me to tears watching his runs as well., to be so young and and win was amazing and to have his whole family there was wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 142February 12, 2018 11:07 AM

Chris Madzer is fucking hot!!

by Anonymousreply 143February 12, 2018 11:10 AM

Does Chris ping to you, R143?

He kind of did for me.

Looks like he has a thick cock from this photo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144February 12, 2018 11:14 AM

I want to make love to sweet Nathan Chen.

by Anonymousreply 145February 12, 2018 11:14 AM

Does anyone else find that brother-sister ice dancing team to be very creepy?

Ice dancing is such an intimate and emotional sport, and having a sibling as your partner just weirds me out.

by Anonymousreply 146February 12, 2018 11:27 AM

Why is there a white guy skating for the korean team?

Are they that hard up for a medal?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147February 12, 2018 11:43 AM

[quote]Does anyone else find that brother-sister ice dancing team to be very creepy?

Yes!

by Anonymousreply 148February 12, 2018 5:31 PM

R146, There are exceptions...The Duchenays were ahead of their time...I loved their skating!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149February 12, 2018 6:34 PM

R149 They were so good. Not the best but one of the best in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 150February 12, 2018 6:37 PM

^^need to continue, I loved their WSS routine

by Anonymousreply 151February 12, 2018 6:41 PM

In the end it was the right call to put the Shibi Shibis in the team event. They wiped the floor with Bobrova/Soloviev and Cappellini /Lanotte. It is a good strategy if your want to undo the harm that was done at US nationals. They want to be 4th (at worst) entering the Free Skate. H/D are prone mistakes, so the Shibies must be counting on mistakes from Donohue.

[quote]There are exceptions...

There are no exceptions bitch. The Duchneys were always incesty with each other. Do they have kids now?

by Anonymousreply 152February 12, 2018 6:51 PM

Sibling skating pairs don't have to be creepy.

by Anonymousreply 153February 12, 2018 7:18 PM

[quote] Sibling skating pairs don't have to be creepy.

But they are, Blanche. They ARE creepy.

You're touching your sibling in places that another sibling should never touch. You're physically closer to your sibling than you should ever be. And most ice dancing is supposed to be romantic and sensual - enough said.

Icks nay on the iblings say, in ice dancing.

by Anonymousreply 154February 12, 2018 7:23 PM

R152, Calm down...from what I remember the sister was dating Christopher Dean. I don’t know how long the relationship lasted, but it was talked about back in the day. Also, Dean choreographed the Duchesnays routines.

by Anonymousreply 155February 12, 2018 7:39 PM

The bronze medal US team figure skaters were all on live this morning (last night in Korea) on NBC's Today Show from Korea ...except overhyped Nathan Chen. Interesting.

That Adam Rippon guy is becoming a star, and good for him

At least they didn't run the Ashley Wagner car commercial before or after, as far as I could tell.

by Anonymousreply 156February 12, 2018 7:50 PM

South Korea likely to lose more than $10 billion for hosting 2018 Winter Olympics

Leave it to Andrew Zimbalist to throw cold water on an even colder Winter Olympics. The Smith College economics professor and long-time Olympics skeptic hopped on CNBC’s “Squawk Box” to spill the beans on the pitfalls of the PyeongChang Games.

The most stunning nuggets? That South Korea is staring down a loss north of $10 billion for hosting this year’s international festivities.

“At the end of the day, they spent $13 billion. They’ll get back about $2.5 billion,” Zimbalist said. “The only way you can justify that kind of a terrible balance is if, in the long run, it’s going to promote tourism, promote trade and promote foreign investment.

“There’s no evidence from other Olympics that that might happen.”

That astronomical bill stems, in part, from building scantly used Olympic venues — and not just the $109 million ceremonial stadium in PyeongChang. The organizers also spent untold sums to clear 58,000 trees from a sacred forest on Mount Gariwang, where the Alpine skiing course was subsequently constructed.

Beyond that, South Korea spent billions on infrastructure to connect PyeongChang to the South Korean capital of Seoul. Even with the addition of high-speed rail, the commute still clocks in close to two hours.

Some of these costs might be justifiable if the host country’s citizens were enthusiastic about snow and ice activities. But to hear Zimbalist tell it, “The South Koreans are not very fond of winter sports in general.”

That helps to explain the shortfall in revenue that accounts for these games ranging so far into the red. Per Zimbalist, the organizers only sold about 60 percent of tickets to this year’s Olympic events.

It doesn’t help that PyeongChang is home to fewer than 44,000 people, making it the least populous host of the Winter Games since Lillehammer, Norway in 1994. Had all the locals turned out for the Opening Ceremony, they still wouldn’t have filled the Olympic stadium, which seats about 50,000.

Backers of the PyeongChang Olympics would likely argue that the short-term pain pales in comparison to the long-term gains. As Chery Kang relayed during the interview, the South Korean government and various think tanks pegged the overall economic benefit anywhere between 20 and 65 trillion Korean won, which comes out to about $18.5-60 billion.

Those figures assume that these games will bring in money by painting a flattering portrait of South Korea. Trouble is, that may not be the case, what with frigid temperatures and a norovirus outbreak diverting attention from the actual athletics on display.

“I hope there is a feel-good effect, I hope that the games go off very well,” Zimbalist concluded, “but either President Moon [Jae-in] or any other politician in South Korea who’s promising the people that this is going to be a wonderful thing for the economy really should be more cautious.”

All this said, the PyeongChang Games won’t come anywhere close to the costliest and most debt-ridden Olympics in history. That honor might forever belong to the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, which ran up a reported tab of $51 billion, thanks in no small part to rampant corruption and graft benefiting President Vladimir Putin and his cronies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157February 12, 2018 11:32 PM

There is a video on newornext that has US male Olympians stripping while saying cheesy pick up lines. When Chris Mazdzer started stripping and flirting, I just about died. He has a gorgeous hairy chest and charming personality.

by Anonymousreply 158February 13, 2018 12:41 AM

Gus is so funny and charming but boy @ 1:17 the purses fall off by the millions when he starts talking about his mother.

I want to fuck him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159February 13, 2018 1:11 AM

Was Gus always that nelly, even before he came out?

I'm guessing that he tried to butch it up before he was out, but once he came out he just let the purses fly!

by Anonymousreply 160February 14, 2018 11:13 AM

I don't find him nelly at all

by Anonymousreply 161February 14, 2018 11:43 AM

Here's Red Gerard on Jimmy Kimmel's show.

I'm amazed at how composed he is at 17. Most people would be freaking the fuck out, after being in the Olympics, competing, winning a gold medal, flying from Korea to LA, and then appearing on a talk show, all in less than a week.

But Red's as cool as a cucumber.

And he watched Netflix the night before his competition.

My favorite part of his interview was talking about his family shot-gunning beers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162February 14, 2018 12:29 PM

R146, that was beautiful

by Anonymousreply 163February 14, 2018 1:02 PM

Sorry I meant R149

by Anonymousreply 164February 14, 2018 1:03 PM

I am hot for Chris Knierim , the ice skater..damn sexy man

by Anonymousreply 165February 14, 2018 1:46 PM

I'm obsessed with the Pyongyang cheerleaders.

So cheerful now, but you know they'll be starved and tortured by "Dear Leader" when they get home.

He'll wipe those smiles right off their terrified faces.

by Anonymousreply 166February 14, 2018 11:29 PM

So happy for the German team winning gold in the Pairs Figure Skating!!!

So deserved.

by Anonymousreply 167February 15, 2018 12:39 PM

3 gold, 2 silver and 1 bronze today, not too bad :)

by Anonymousreply 168February 15, 2018 2:31 PM

Norwegians are at the top of the medal winnings, R168.

You guys really are great at the Winter games.

No surprise there, huh?

by Anonymousreply 169February 15, 2018 6:13 PM

When will Scott Moir be skating again?

by Anonymousreply 170February 15, 2018 9:33 PM

I'm waiting for bobsledders with those truncular legs and amazing beefy asses. Their upper bodies are also quite muscular so what's not to like there?

by Anonymousreply 171February 15, 2018 9:35 PM

For European these games are difficult when majority of events are happening in the very early morning hours.

by Anonymousreply 172February 15, 2018 9:52 PM

It's not live, R172.

Do your local stations not broadcast the games during prime time, as they do in the US?

NBC in America always shows the games between 8-11 pm every night, regardless of what time it's happening in Korea.

by Anonymousreply 173February 15, 2018 10:19 PM

NBC starts coverage at 3pm each day est and on most of the the day on the Olympic channel

by Anonymousreply 174February 16, 2018 10:50 AM

R170 Scott will be back on after the Men's and Women's competition.

He and Tessa are in the Ice Dancing competition, which is usually the last of the four figure skating competitions.

by Anonymousreply 175February 16, 2018 11:19 PM

Javier Fernandez is the sexiest figure skater ever!!

Oh, is that yoozoo guy gay? He flames harder than Adam Rippon.

And Patrick Chan's eyes get crazier and crazier as the years go by.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176February 17, 2018 12:55 PM

So happy that Javi won Spain's first medal in figure skating.

It would've been nice to have been a silver (especially since that asian guy fell on his ass and still won the silver), but hey, at least he made history for Spain.

by Anonymousreply 177February 17, 2018 6:13 PM

R177 Yes, Javi was robbed. He should have won silver.

by Anonymousreply 178February 17, 2018 6:19 PM

I love that NBC is letting Rebecca Lowe do so many interviews in daytime. There's so much going on live when Tirico is hosting at night that he gets no chance to do much of that. Redemption from Rio, when her time was cut back by Tirico joining the network at the last minute, almost literally.

by Anonymousreply 179February 17, 2018 8:54 PM

[quote]Yes, Javi was robbed. He should have won silver.

I volunteer to condole him.

by Anonymousreply 180February 17, 2018 9:02 PM

Here you go, R180.

He's ready for you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181February 17, 2018 10:16 PM

Just look at Javi's slender body....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182February 17, 2018 10:18 PM

Nathan Chen, just now in an interview with Scott Hamilton, seems still like a bit of a robot. Like not wanting to say anything that wasn't memorized before. No emotion.

And Scott is easily the friendliest interviewer Chen will ever see.

by Anonymousreply 183February 17, 2018 11:37 PM

Nathan Chen can now be known as "the choker," to replace Sasha Cohen.

The guy was a total flop at these Olympics. We should've sent Ross Miner instead. The guy performs well under pressure, unlike Choker Chen.

by Anonymousreply 184February 17, 2018 11:54 PM

I've enjoyed the spectacular snowboarding stuff and could give a shit about the ice skating. Do I have to hand in my gay card?

by Anonymousreply 185February 18, 2018 12:13 AM

Well, if you can name who won Olympic gold medals in pairs skating in 1964 and 1968, and what move(s) they popularized - without looking it up, of course, then you can keep the card.

by Anonymousreply 186February 18, 2018 12:22 AM

Alas I can't even name any of the current crop here, let alone ever heard of them. Was there ever a Russian Skater called Alexi Bendova? I would have watched him.

by Anonymousreply 187February 18, 2018 12:30 AM

No, the men's names end with "ov" and the women's names end with "ova."

by Anonymousreply 188February 18, 2018 12:34 AM

No Surya Bonaly or Tonya Harding, no interest.

by Anonymousreply 189February 18, 2018 12:36 AM

Is Javi still dating Miki Ando or did they break up?

by Anonymousreply 190February 18, 2018 12:37 AM

Poor Bodi Miller, they criticized him for being too boring.

He's knowledgeable for sure but his method of delivery is dull.

I like his commentary. 😬

by Anonymousreply 191February 18, 2018 12:41 AM

I remember when there was an attitude among "real" sports fans that any sport that was "judged" for scoring wasn't a real sport (i.e, figure skating, diving, equestrian).

But now that so many supercool X-gamey events are judged, and sort of subjective, you don't hear that argument as much anymore.

As if those snowboarders aren't playing to the judges as much as any skater or diver ever did.

by Anonymousreply 192February 18, 2018 12:41 AM

I got over ice skating a long time ago since it was always some drama over who the competitions were rigged for: Americans, Soviets/Russians, Canadians... I do like things like speed skating, alpine skiing, and ski jumping, though.

by Anonymousreply 193February 18, 2018 12:45 AM

R191, only tonight, watching live coverage, do I see how disappointing Bode Miller is as skiing analyst. He talks too slowly in fast races, and really is so laid back in delivery as to seem like he can hardly be bothered to pay attention.

Ski races are extremely fast. Results in hundredths or thousandths of seconds. Don't you have to be watching and talking fast to effectively comment?

by Anonymousreply 194February 18, 2018 12:54 AM

But I guess you don't want to seem a spaz and getting hysterical, R194.

There's a fine line, admittedly.

Maybe the other guy could be more animated as well?

by Anonymousreply 195February 18, 2018 1:03 AM

I always had a crush on Bode Miller.

I would give him a blowjob that would wake his ass up in a flash!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196February 18, 2018 1:07 AM

How the hell did Kenworthy breaks a thumb??

He has a giant bruise as well??

What happened??

Plus, a cute smooch on national prime time tv!!

😘😘

by Anonymousreply 197February 18, 2018 1:31 AM

Woke up to 2 gold and 1 silver, not bad :)

by Anonymousreply 198February 18, 2018 8:37 AM

I wanted Kristoffersen to win the gold in slalom, but I heard he had a crappy first run, so I think he should be happy with silver. The slopstyle gold was very surprising. I'm kinda in shock. Didn't even know we had a medal favorite there lol.

by Anonymousreply 199February 18, 2018 8:41 AM

Updated medal table

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200February 18, 2018 9:09 AM

In other news the Russians are suspected of doping again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201February 18, 2018 2:02 PM

Interesting article.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202February 18, 2018 3:35 PM

The male Ice Dancers are all hot as fuck!

Scott Moir, the French guy, and Donohue the American guy.

They are by far the sexiest of the male figure skaters!

Zach Donohue is purty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203February 19, 2018 12:39 PM

Hot Canadian bobsledder Justin Kripps wins gold.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204February 19, 2018 1:28 PM

I'm watching the Olympics now and there is a Norwegian speed skater who might be gay. He has gay voice. He pings my gaydar HARD. And no, he didn't win. He was far behind. Either way just watching his interview made me wonder. If he's straight I need to turn in my gaydar.

by Anonymousreply 205February 19, 2018 2:26 PM

Canada is now third in medals, only beat by Germany and Norway. USA is fifth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206February 20, 2018 7:14 AM

We just hit 30 medals. Not bad for a country of 5 million people :)

by Anonymousreply 207February 21, 2018 5:40 AM

I wonder if any of the North Korean athletes will try to make a getaway. I have no idea if they are guarded constantly.

by Anonymousreply 208February 22, 2018 9:13 PM

I'm so happy for my baby Scott Moir, winning the gold in Ice Dance.

I want to give him a congratulatory blowjob!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209February 22, 2018 11:42 PM

Are the Closing Ceremonies on Friday?

I wonder if "Dear Leader" will show up?

by Anonymousreply 210February 23, 2018 12:41 AM

BREAKING: New doping accusations for Russia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211February 23, 2018 8:55 AM

Just ban those fucking Russians already. Don't even let them compete under OAR.

by Anonymousreply 212February 23, 2018 8:56 AM

Even doping, those Russians can't win shit.

They're fucking cheaters AND losers.

by Anonymousreply 213February 23, 2018 12:16 PM

It is winding down over there in Korea, but more good stuff to come over the weekend. Some big events in Bobsled, Speed Skating, Cross-Country still to be held.

Looking forward to the Figure Skating exhibitions, the curling Gold Medal game no one expected the US to be in (late night tonight live) and the Closing Ceremonies on Sunday (except for the hideous mug of the US "official" visitor)

by Anonymousreply 214February 23, 2018 7:47 PM

Will Katie Couric and Josh Ramo Cooper be hosting the Closing Ceremonies again??

*tee hee*

by Anonymousreply 215February 23, 2018 8:55 PM

In related news a curling stone tested positive for doping.

by Anonymousreply 216February 23, 2018 9:01 PM

R215 Weir and Lipinski are hosting closing ceremonies for nbc.

by Anonymousreply 217February 23, 2018 11:37 PM

What time is the Nude Luge event?

by Anonymousreply 218February 24, 2018 2:00 AM

I cannot get over the HUGE, bubble butts in the Men's bobsled event.

I was practically drooling over those beautiful asses in those tight lycra outfits, which perfectly shaped their muscular arms and bulbous butts.

No wonder Dale Earnhardt Jr. was in the stands watching. I would have been, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219February 25, 2018 12:01 PM

The German bobsled teams had the beefiest bodies and most muscular butts.

by Anonymousreply 220February 25, 2018 12:07 PM

Sam McGuffie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221February 25, 2018 12:07 PM

Steven Langton

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222February 25, 2018 12:08 PM

Justin Bolsen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223February 25, 2018 12:09 PM

Sam Michener

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224February 25, 2018 12:09 PM

Carlo Valdes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225February 25, 2018 12:10 PM

So many beautiful men competing

by Anonymousreply 226February 25, 2018 3:59 PM

The pyongyang closing ceremonies are on right now.

I hope that Johnny and Tara don't fuck it up like Katie Couric did!

by Anonymousreply 227February 26, 2018 12:52 AM

I'm going to miss pyongyang. They did an ok job.

However, since they're hosting the next summer and winter olympics, it'll be like we never left.

by Anonymousreply 228February 26, 2018 3:11 AM

Beautiful closing up util the boy band at the end.

by Anonymousreply 229February 26, 2018 11:49 AM

The last days of the winter Olympics were depressing, most of our athletes choked hard. Thank god for Marit Bjørgen who saved Norway's honor and put us at the top of the medal table.

by Anonymousreply 230February 26, 2018 12:14 PM

[quote]However, since they're hosting the next summer and winter olympics, it'll be like we never left.

Because all of Asia is the same? Hi-larious wit.

by Anonymousreply 231February 26, 2018 12:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!