Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Was Julie Kavner considered "pretty" in the 1970's?

She's with a hot guy in some of the photos. How'd she get him?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43August 18, 2020 7:46 PM

[quote] How'd she get him?

Her raspy, smoky voice.

by Anonymousreply 1November 15, 2017 3:22 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 15, 2017 3:23 AM

In a word: NO, OP.

I loved her on Rhoda. Thought she and Valerie (and especially, Nancy Walker) had great chemistry. She always read as a little butch to me--I say that with love. I'm still not fully convinced Julie is 100% straight.

If you watch the RHODA eps you can see her sudden weight loss and style remake. Apparently, CBS was exploring a Brenda remake but it never happened.

I can't feel that bad. THE SIMPSONS has made her a shockingly rich woman, far more than Valerie or any other co-stars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 15, 2017 3:28 AM

Sorry, I mean a Brenda SPIN-OFF, not a remake.

by Anonymousreply 4November 15, 2017 3:29 AM

N O !

by Anonymousreply 5November 15, 2017 3:30 AM

She was a nice, sensible-looking tomboy next door. Not pretty, not ugly. The kind who made the snacks in the kitchen at parties while her prettier friend was banged in the bathroom.

by Anonymousreply 6November 15, 2017 3:32 AM

Do you have eyes, OP?

by Anonymousreply 7November 15, 2017 3:33 AM

Julie was cute in her kid-sister way, and actually photogenic, but Valerie could be stunning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 15, 2017 3:33 AM

Isn't she a lesbian? Maybe he's gay. She was sort of cute though, and sometimes these mismatched pairings happen inexplicably.

by Anonymousreply 9November 15, 2017 3:39 AM

Does she avoid the press? I don't think I've ever seen an interview with her.

by Anonymousreply 10November 15, 2017 3:41 AM

You could be quirky AND attractive in the 70s. If you were a guy, you could be hairy as fuck, not muscular, and still be hot.

by Anonymousreply 11November 15, 2017 3:45 AM

She was cast because she was kooky.

by Anonymousreply 12November 15, 2017 3:46 AM

No. She was the butt of fat jokes on Rhoda.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 15, 2017 3:49 AM

My sister looks like Kavner and it bums me out to see people talk about her like this... which Im aware sounds very creepy but she struggles with self image so it’s a bummer to see what ive always agreed with be confirmed... Oh well. Not my problem!

by Anonymousreply 14November 15, 2017 3:50 AM

God, how I HATED Richard Schaal, and always avoided any program/episode on which he appeared.

by Anonymousreply 15November 15, 2017 3:51 AM

Nice personality. Plain Jane Jewish girl.

by Anonymousreply 16November 15, 2017 3:54 AM

For some reason, Kavner refuses to discuss Rhoda with interviewers. I don't think she liked the role. It did typecast for a while, until Tracey Ullman hired her as a regular on her 80s Fox show. She owes a lot of her career to Trace.

by Anonymousreply 17November 15, 2017 3:56 AM

She fulfilled the overweight, self-deprecating female character in contrast with Valerie Harper's svelte, more stable Rhoda which is crazy since Rhoda WAS that character on MTM.

by Anonymousreply 18November 15, 2017 4:00 AM

I always thought she was beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 19November 15, 2017 4:01 AM

My personal suspicion is that RHODA triggered a lot of self-image/body image issues for Kavner, particularly when she was urged to lose weight and appear more conventionally "feminine." Perhaps those aren't happy memories for her.

It's no accident that, despite some character work in Woody Allen films, her career is all about V/O work, and has been for a while.

by Anonymousreply 20November 15, 2017 4:01 AM

Sue Menger! I forgot to add your name to the thread of posters we miss!

by Anonymousreply 21November 15, 2017 4:03 AM

Bless you, sweetie @ R21. Like a chubby, loud, stoned moth to a flame, I keep returning here.

Don't forget that later in their runs, classy, well-written ensemble shows like the MTM Show and Rhoda were also dealing with the onslaught of Fred Silverman and jiggle TV. It was absurd, but it upped the looks/sex appeal quotient for every performer in prime time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 15, 2017 4:08 AM

R22, very true, and dovetails nicely with the current Suzanne Sommers thread.

Hope to see you around more. I always enjoyed your posts.

by Anonymousreply 23November 15, 2017 4:12 AM

Why was she with a cute guy?

She's on a major TV Show.

She has a vagina.

by Anonymousreply 24November 15, 2017 4:16 AM

[QUOTE]God, how I HATED Richard Schaal

I concur. Marginally worse than Jerry Van Dyke.

by Anonymousreply 25November 15, 2017 4:16 AM

She rarely does interviews for The Simpsons and her contract has an agreement in it where she does not have to promote the show. Also whenever the cast does live script readings at conventions or fan events, she doesn't participate, she just walks off stage.

by Anonymousreply 26November 15, 2017 4:34 AM

by Anonymousreply 27November 15, 2017 9:31 PM

She has a marvellous personality. And she was attractive. Not a high end hollywood starlet, but she was attractive. It's no wonder a sensible good-looking guy was attracted to her.

I realize that this is beyond comprehension for gay guys.

by Anonymousreply 28November 15, 2017 9:38 PM

No, she was the fat, homely whiner. Not even attractive for the 1870s

by Anonymousreply 29November 15, 2017 9:41 PM

Richard Schaal was married to Valerie Harper (or happily divorced). He showed up a lot, especially on MTM-produced shows, and yes, he was an annoying presence. Plus David Groh, except for the initial glimpse of the hairy chest, was all wrong for Rhoda to marry. Rhoda and Brenda should have dated all sorts of kooky and occasionally hot men who would swoon over them or reject them or vice versa for a long time, and the show would have been better and run longer. Looking at some of her pics, Julie looks better back then than I remembered her -- she was kinda cute, not pretty, not bad. The voice was rather singular back then though.

by Anonymousreply 30November 15, 2017 9:56 PM

She could be Fran Lebowitz’ slightly better looking cousin.

by Anonymousreply 31November 15, 2017 10:06 PM

poor r29 cannot discern between a character in a tv show (Brenda) and reality (Julie)

by Anonymousreply 32November 15, 2017 10:27 PM

No, she wasn't but by real life standards, I think she would have been considered attractive. It's just that the MTM writers were accustomed to writing jokes about women like 'Rhoda' who were considered conventionally attractive (sorry, but I always thought 'Rhoda' was beautiful). Once Valerie Harper slimmed down and became a bit more glam, they needed someone who could take her place as the butt of those jokes. It's a shame, since I don't think it was a good introduction to show business to Julie, who is remarkably guarded and protective of her privacy.

by Anonymousreply 33November 15, 2017 11:01 PM

I finally have a little bit of gossip to share here. Secondhand, but still.

A friend of mine used to live in LA while taking acting classes and to make ends meet he worked at a coffeehouse. Julie Kavner came in one day and plunked her purse - a huge shoulder bag - down on the counter and it loudly rattled. He wondered why until she opened it up to pay for her order and he saw it was completely full of prescription bottles. She was a walking pharmacy.

Also, DL fave Bonnie Franklin was cold and dismissive to him when he praised her work on One Day at a Time.

That is all.

by Anonymousreply 34November 15, 2017 11:49 PM

Yes OP, she was considered HOT HOT HOT! Most teen boys had a sexy Kavner poster on their wall typically covered in dried semen.

by Anonymousreply 35November 16, 2017 1:19 AM

Isn't she a clam?

by Anonymousreply 36November 16, 2017 1:49 AM

She stood next to me.

by Anonymousreply 37January 11, 2019 4:20 PM

R25 Jerry was hilarious on Coach!

by Anonymousreply 38January 11, 2019 4:28 PM

[quote]How'd she get him?

Same as you OP. She paid him.

by Anonymousreply 39January 11, 2019 4:29 PM

cunt

by Anonymousreply 40August 18, 2020 7:18 PM

She's terrific in a series of mid-late 80's Woody Allen films and deserved an Oscar nomination for "Radio Days" (along with Dianne Wiest). She had a rare lead in an underrated comedy, "This is My Life" (1992) which has a great Carly Simon theme song.

by Anonymousreply 41August 18, 2020 7:40 PM

She's filthy rich. That boy toy is a whore, darling.

by Anonymousreply 42August 18, 2020 7:42 PM

Who's the guy in the pictures with the jacket and scarf? Can I marry him?

by Anonymousreply 43August 18, 2020 7:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!