Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Generation Jones

What do we know of them?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166May 25, 2019 8:15 PM

All I can say as a member is that the real Baby Boomers got EVERYTHING and left the scraps for those that followed.

by Anonymousreply 1November 3, 2017 8:52 PM

Bitch, they're jealous.

by Anonymousreply 2November 3, 2017 8:52 PM

per Wikipedia: Key characteristics assigned to members are less optimism, distrust of government, and general cynicism

I was born 1957 . no wonder I have never liked my peers..always oldsters for me or even some younger!

by Anonymousreply 3November 3, 2017 8:54 PM

It's just a segment of the baby boomers, that someone decided to get fancy and give a separate name to.. Like Asperger's is now part of the autism spectrum.

by Anonymousreply 4November 3, 2017 8:56 PM

Not really, r4 but nice try, hon.

by Anonymousreply 5November 3, 2017 8:57 PM

r4, and about time.

by Anonymousreply 6November 3, 2017 8:58 PM

I have never heard of this term. And I’m one of them!

by Anonymousreply 7November 3, 2017 9:01 PM

Few people have heard of this and it's never going to catch on. Get used to the boomer label. Work on acceptance, if it bothers you.

by Anonymousreply 8November 3, 2017 9:04 PM

r8,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 3, 2017 9:05 PM

For a while it was called Boomer II.

by Anonymousreply 10November 3, 2017 9:09 PM

R8 that's because they want to be special snowflakes. They can't just be boomers. That's too plain for them.

by Anonymousreply 11November 3, 2017 9:20 PM

Some real fucking idiots came up with that term.

by Anonymousreply 12November 3, 2017 9:22 PM

I prefer Geraldine Jones! The devil made me do it!

by Anonymousreply 13November 3, 2017 9:23 PM

The only place I've ever seen this term used is here. There are differences between early and late Boomers, and early and late Gen X. People on the cusp will have characteristics of both. Not a hard concept to grasp. No need to come up with separate terms for every five year interval.

by Anonymousreply 14November 3, 2017 9:25 PM

That figure is not really accurate. I’m 37 and not a millennial.

by Anonymousreply 15November 3, 2017 9:32 PM

R11 = r8 = talking to self = fucktard

by Anonymousreply 16November 3, 2017 9:33 PM

The only people having a problem with this are people who are in the middle of their generation. They are defined.

by Anonymousreply 17November 3, 2017 9:39 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 3, 2017 9:44 PM

Division thread.

by Anonymousreply 19November 3, 2017 9:52 PM

Jones also isn't listed as one of the "Social generations of Western society" at the bottom of its Wikipedia page. It's just another term for the Boomer/Gen X cusp. Not saying it doesn't describe something, but it isn't any more special or meaningful than the Gen X/Millennial cusp.

by Anonymousreply 20November 3, 2017 9:53 PM

This age group does have some characteristics that separate them from Boomers.

For example a large percentage of them were born to fathers who never served in the US Military.

They are too young to have been actively involved in either the anti-war or civil rights movements.

The eldest of the men may have received draft numbers, but at the time they were issued the draft had expired.

Again the eldest may have some memories of The Cold War, but only as children hiding under their desks during air raid drills.

by Anonymousreply 21November 3, 2017 9:54 PM

I'm a member, apparently, but have never heard this term before. I've generally been told I'm a Baby Boomer, which I've always resented. Baby Boomers typically brag about how they basically invented everything.

by Anonymousreply 22November 3, 2017 11:02 PM

[quote]Generation Jones

I think he played basketball on my high school team.

by Anonymousreply 23November 3, 2017 11:05 PM

Baby Boomers are those born between 1946 to 1964. I was born at the tail end of this category and never heard of this new coined term before.

by Anonymousreply 24November 3, 2017 11:51 PM

From that Wikipedia link posted above:

[quote]The name "Generation Jones" has several connotations, including a large anonymous generation, a "keeping up with the Joneses" competitiveness and the slang word "jones" or "jonesing", meaning a yearning or craving. It is said that Jonesers were given huge expectations as children in the 1960s, and then confronted with a different reality as they came of age during a long period of mass unemployment and when de-industrialization arrived full force in the mid-late 1970s and 1980s, leaving them with a certain unrequited "jonesing" quality for the more prosperous days of the past.

Makes sense. I have heard of this term, though tend to call myself a 'late boomer'. I was born in 1961 and don't have a lot in common with the early boomers. As I was a child during the 60s, I don't have much memory of it, thus my first political memory is of Watergate. Not exactly something to gain trust in government or politics.

by Anonymousreply 25November 3, 2017 11:58 PM

1957 was the peak of the baby boom as that was the year the most kids were born in that era.

by Anonymousreply 26November 3, 2017 11:59 PM

I was born in '56. The highest birth rate years were '55-'58. A lot of us born during those years were middle or youngest kids; of course, some were born to younger parents and were the first children in their families. I've always considered myself a boomer, but thought most of us were different from older and younger boomers. Some of the definition in the Wiki does cover us well. We missed participating in the '60s, but experienced a lot of it through osmosis from tv, music, and older siblings. Very few of us were drafted or fought in Vietnam. Mine was the last year of assigned draft numbers but also the year it ended entirely until registration was restarted in 1980. We came of age during Watergate and the Bicentennial years. I think we were very much a satirical and cynical group. After all, our comedy was Monty Python, the early years of SNL, Mel Brooks, and Woody Allen's mid-70s movies. We did tend to face more economic hardship than older or younger boomers because there were so many of us and the economy was at its worst in the mid-to-late '70s. Most of the earliest boomers were settled into jobs and professions by the time we came of age. By the time the younger boomers were coming of age, the Reagan go-go years were in force. Because there weren't as many good entry-level jobs when we entered the work force, we generally missed out on those important career building years most people have in their early to late 20s. The older boomers still held them before us and the younger boomer got them after us. I will say that most people I know in my immediate age group are not as materialistic about having "things" as older and younger boomers seem to be.

by Anonymousreply 27November 4, 2017 2:02 AM

R8 is dead wrong. I have seen many stories about the plight of Gen Jones on nightly news, as well as the Today Show. The term is widely used and everyone knows what it means.

by Anonymousreply 28November 4, 2017 11:33 AM

No, I never heard of it, and I am Gen X, same age as Obama. I am pretty sick of advertising "demographers" coming up with these phony age cohorts to try and define us. I also don't take Wikipedia for a credible standalone source.

by Anonymousreply 29November 4, 2017 11:39 AM

No! Generation Jones! Say it, learn it, reapeat it! La Spacey's cohort! 1959!

Generation Jones!

by Anonymousreply 30November 4, 2017 11:41 AM

What happened to The Greatest Generation or did Tom Brokaw just make that up to sell his book?

by Anonymousreply 31November 4, 2017 2:19 PM

Lockjaw, whoops I mean Brokaw just made it up R31.

by Anonymousreply 32November 4, 2017 3:52 PM

Generation Jones contains Pitt, La Spacey, and Madge. Important artistic voices in our time.

by Anonymousreply 33November 4, 2017 5:19 PM

Why do people give a shit about these marketing schemes?

It’s very creepy...

by Anonymousreply 34November 4, 2017 5:43 PM

r4 = r8 = r11 = r28 = r30 = r32 = r33 = douche cunt troll talking to its self.

by Anonymousreply 35November 4, 2017 6:15 PM

*itself

by Anonymousreply 36November 4, 2017 6:22 PM

WOW it's just like astrology

by Anonymousreply 37November 4, 2017 6:30 PM

My parents are boomers; I was born in ‘66 and never considered myself a boomer.

I always thought of myself as a Gen Xer, though I always felt considerably older than Xers.

R21’s post rings true for me, as does the Wikipedia page posted above.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38November 4, 2017 7:16 PM

OP's link applies to now and works for this current, but going forward that will change over the years. That's why in that pie chart they should have stated the year born, the range according to birth year (like 1963 -1974, etc), not the age range. In only a year from now that chart will be obsolete.

by Anonymousreply 39November 4, 2017 7:35 PM

Oh why not.... It's a gray, drizzly Saturday and I'm bored....

I'm in this alleged generation and maybe there's something to the Gen J thing. I'm 55 as of yesterday so technically a boomer, but among the youngest. More to the point, old boomers have memories and experiences with things like JFK, RFK, MLK, Civil Rights Movement, Summer of Love, etc. -- big, impactful stuff -- that the early-60s people don't. I remember Watergate and Vietnam, men landing on the moon, but much more vaguely than someone at least a decade older.

That aside, an article someone posted makes interesting points about how the slow economy/job market took a toll on some people, though I was too young for that. I turned 18 the day Reagan was elected and the economy was poor, but I ended up joining the USAF and had no experience with that.

by Anonymousreply 40November 4, 2017 7:39 PM

It’s always the same drivel.

Who are these loons who try to turn the year they were born into a cult?

by Anonymousreply 41November 4, 2017 8:00 PM

Why didn't anyone tell me that I was a member of Generation Jones? I'm at the oldest year, so I just made it in--but still. Where did this term come from? I had always heard that Baby Boom Generation lasted until 1964. Generation Jones is the largest group of all, and most people never heard of it.

by Anonymousreply 42November 4, 2017 8:18 PM

Generation Jones is a term coined by the author Jonathan Pontell to describe those born from approximately 1954 to 1965, while other sources place the start point at 1956 or 1957. This group is essentially the latter half of the baby boomers to the first years of Generation X.

The name "Generation Jones" has several connotations, including a large anonymous generation, a "keeping up with the Joneses" competitiveness and the slang word "jones" or "jonesing", meaning a yearning or craving. It is said[by whom?] that Jonesers were given huge expectations as children in the 1960s, and then confronted with a different reality as they came of age during a long period of mass unemployment and when de-industrialization arrived full force in the mid-late 1970s and 1980s, leaving them with a certain unrequited "jonesing" quality for the more prosperous days of the past.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43November 4, 2017 8:21 PM

Douche bags by any other name are still douche bags

by Anonymousreply 44November 4, 2017 8:26 PM

I've heard the term. To me it just describes the tail end of the baby boom. We had the classic boomer childhood but missed out on the full employment era. I can remember being told in high school how lucky we were to be born right on the cusp of "The Age Of Leisure" and how our lives were going to be so free and easy.

by Anonymousreply 45November 4, 2017 8:58 PM

Many of us graduated college into Reagan's America...

I stayed an extra semester at my college and it was a sea change -- suddenly, they were charging a lot more for everything, the relaxed social norms grew stringent and then there was a suicide cluster among the freshmen fearing Bs (and losing the chance to go to grad school.)

They also denied tenure to several of the more liberal profs...

by Anonymousreply 46November 4, 2017 9:18 PM

I'm in this generation. I don't think of it as such a wide arc though. I think of it more as the gap between boomers and gen X, only about a five year period, birth date 1960 to 65 or so. Before 1960 you're definitely a boomer. After 65 you were a teen when PCs were starting up.

In fact that gap is shown in the end and start dates for boomers and gen x. Some have the boom ending at 60, others go to 64. Vice versa for gen x.

We don't really fit into either generation. We didn't sit in cowboy outfits watching westerns on tv. We didn't grow up with Computers.

And the idea that we can be summed up by keeping up with the Joneses is utter bullshit -- when did Americans ever not do that?

by Anonymousreply 47November 4, 2017 9:46 PM

All of these "generations", in which millions of unrelated people are somehow supposed to share characteristics because they were born in arbitrarily selected adjacent years, are just utter nonsense. As pointed out above, these "generations" have all the validity and scientific backing of horoscopes. Or maybe even less. It's just something that silly people like to prattle on about.

by Anonymousreply 48November 4, 2017 10:03 PM

The only thing distinctive about this group is that (some of them) invented the punk rock and new wave movement.

by Anonymousreply 49November 4, 2017 10:11 PM

R47 is reciting a script

This while thing is cult-adjacent

by Anonymousreply 50November 4, 2017 10:42 PM

I was born in 62 at what I thought was the tail end of the Baby Boomers. The phrase "keeping up with the Joneses" dates back to Wyndclyffe Castle built in Rhinebeck, NY in 1853 by Elizabeth Schermerhorn Jones. "The property's elegance is said to have prompted owners of nearby Hudson Valley estates to build even bigger mansions, giving birth to the idiom "Keeping up with the Joneses."

It is also a name of a comic strip that ran from 1913 to 1938 but the term "Generation Jones" that Jonathan Pontell describes feels like the wrong era.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51November 4, 2017 10:56 PM

Another often-overlooked cultural inflection point: GenX'ers who were born between roughly 1967 and 1971 have a somewhat unique nihilism about the space program. Our first memories as toddlers were of moonwalkers on live TV. Then suddenly, the moonwalkers went away, and everything that NASA has done since then has been pretty lame and boring.

I personally think this is why Elon Musk is so passionate about sending rockets to Mars.

I think this also goes a long way towards explaining GenX cynicism. Deep down inside, everyone born between the late 60s and early 70s feels betrayed and let down. We grew up with SciFi stories that painted "the Year 2000" as some magical, mystical place where everything was possible... far enough in the future to believe everything would somehow work out by then, but soon enough to leave us excited about experiencing "the future" in our own lifetimes. Then Y2k happened, and the 21st century ended up being about as exciting as watching paint dry (followed shortly thereafter by 9/11 and the subsequent mad race by the English-speaking nations of the world to see who could become like "Oceania" (from 1984) first.

by Anonymousreply 52November 4, 2017 11:54 PM

R35 who here appointed you as hall monitor?

No one likes someone who acts like a bitter pill, as you do.

So don't go away mad, just go away.

by Anonymousreply 53November 5, 2017 12:13 AM

I've never heard this term either. I was born in '60 and have some vivid memories of the '60s, especially constant political and social turmoil and fear of being nuked by the Russians, but I was a child and not like I and my peers were old enough to go to Woodstock or anything. We are a generation of diminished expectations, particularly for those who graduated from college at the time of the Reagan recession.

by Anonymousreply 54November 5, 2017 12:13 AM

All I can think about when I see generations segmented is this pyramid and social security. Call me cynical.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55November 5, 2017 12:27 AM

You're just pissed because you got caught trolling and talking to yourself with your lame replies, hon.

Now shouldn't you get back to your estefan shit pie, dear.

by Anonymousreply 56November 5, 2017 12:31 AM

[Quote] You're just pissed because you got caught trolling and talking to yourself with your lame replies, hon. Now shouldn't you get back to your estefan shit pie, dear.

^^^^ That was for r53.

by Anonymousreply 57November 5, 2017 12:32 AM

R55, if you are one of those people that go on about Social Security being a Ponzi scheme then I wouldn't call you cynical. I'd call you foolish.

by Anonymousreply 58November 5, 2017 12:33 AM

I remember the oldest Boomers laying off the Jonesers so the old Boomers could give their kids those jobs.

This was in the 90s. Now the kids of those Boomers are in charge at tech and medical companies, the only caucasians in a sea of Asians.

by Anonymousreply 59November 5, 2017 1:57 PM

I recall the boys on 90210 calling each other ‘Jones’

by Anonymousreply 60November 6, 2017 1:57 AM

by Anonymousreply 61November 7, 2017 1:47 AM

Sounds like they made this division to explain the rise of Trump and the Deplorables. I'm on the cusp, so I'll proudly maintain my Gen X cred.

by Anonymousreply 62November 7, 2017 2:18 AM

If you look at the pictures of the many Trump rallies, both pre and post election, you'll see that the majority of participants are from Gen Jones or Gen X..... not all, but certainly the majority of rally attendees.

by Anonymousreply 63November 7, 2017 2:31 AM

by Anonymousreply 64December 30, 2017 4:58 AM

People in their early 50s have nothing to do with the Boomers. In fact they hated them and were the first to rebel against them

by Anonymousreply 65December 30, 2017 5:04 AM

Actually early to mid -50s. A lot of people born 1961-1964 hated the Boomers /Yuppies /Hippies.

They grabbed everything and were assholes and we are still dealing with them and their equally spoiled children

by Anonymousreply 66December 30, 2017 5:11 AM

Is there a Generation STAR Jones?

by Anonymousreply 67December 30, 2017 5:24 AM

she ate them, r67.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68December 30, 2017 5:04 PM

Strauss and Howe, who were the ones who came up with the notion of "Gen X" (IIRC, they called it 13th Gen) had Gen X starting in 1961 R65/R66 for many of the reasons you describe.

They talk about different experiences-- too young to remember Kennedy assassination, too young to be drafted for Vietnam, came of age during late 70s/early 80s recession, etc.

What i have found IRL is that it's often shades of gray. That if you are the oldest child born in 1962 you identify strongly with Gen X as all your siblings/cousins are Gen X and your parents are likely the same age as Gen Xers parents.

But if you are the baby of the family and born in 1962, you might identify more closely with Boomers as your siblings and cousins are likely Boomers, had to deal with the draft and your parents are older too.

And everything in between

by Anonymousreply 69December 30, 2017 5:10 PM

bump!

by Anonymousreply 70December 30, 2017 11:47 PM

Just heard an URGENT WARNING: All Baby Boomers and those in Generation Jones born before 1970 should get tested for Hep C.

Hepatitis C is primarily spread through contact with blood from an infected person. They said that up until the early 1990's, between blood transfusions and medical equipment it could have been passed onto patients. Since most people do not have any real noticeable symptoms it often goes untreated. Here's the full article:

"Hepatitis C is a liver disease that results from infection with the Hepatitis C virus. Some people who get infected are able to clear, or get rid of, the Hepatitis C virus, but most people who get infected develop a chronic, or long-term, infection. Over time, chronic Hepatitis C can cause serious health problems. In fact, Hepatitis C is a leading cause of liver cancer and the leading cause of liver transplants."

"Hepatitis C is primarily spread through contact with blood from an infected person. Baby Boomers and the oldest from Generation Jones could have gotten infected from medical equipment or procedures before universal precautions and infection control procedures were adopted. Others could have gotten infected from contaminated blood and blood products before widespread screening virtually eliminated the virus from the blood supply by 1992. Sharing needles or equipment used to prepare or inject drugs, even if only once in the past, could spread Hepatitis C. Many people do not know how or when they were infected."

"Treatments are now available that can cure Hepatitis C. Hepatitis C can lead to liver damage, cirrhosis, and even liver cancer. Most people with Hepatitis C do not know they are infected. Since many people can live with Hepatitis C for decades without symptoms or feeling sick, testing is critical so those who are infected can get treated and cured."

by Anonymousreply 71December 31, 2017 3:16 AM

oh,dear, r71.

by Anonymousreply 72December 31, 2017 4:52 AM

^ oh, dear, asshole @ R72

by Anonymousreply 73December 31, 2017 7:31 AM

r73,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74December 31, 2017 3:54 PM

by Anonymousreply 75December 31, 2017 7:42 PM

One sure Jan beats an Oh, Dear. Gonna raise it r73?

by Anonymousreply 76January 2, 2018 1:03 AM

bump-oooooooo

by Anonymousreply 77January 2, 2018 2:52 PM

by Anonymousreply 78January 16, 2018 11:10 PM

People who come up with stupidologies like "Generation Jones" deserve to get Hep C.

What people really need to do is realize what "generation" actually means. And it isn't "decade."

by Anonymousreply 79January 16, 2018 11:41 PM

" I eat old people's excrement. "

by Anonymousreply 80January 16, 2018 11:57 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 81January 22, 2018 12:06 AM

by Anonymousreply 82January 23, 2018 12:24 AM

No one born after 1950 is any sort of Boomer.

by Anonymousreply 83January 23, 2018 12:52 AM

r83 makes shit up.

by Anonymousreply 84January 23, 2018 8:34 AM

Every generation has an overlap. Generation Jones is the overlap between Baby boomers and Generation X. "Xennials" are the overlap between Gen X and Millennials. These Parkland aged kids will be referenced as a Millennial and Generation Z overlap in years to come.

by Anonymousreply 85April 4, 2018 9:18 AM

I like the song "I like sex and candy" as long as I don't listen to the lyrics too closely.

Oh wait, that was Jesus Jones.

by Anonymousreply 86April 4, 2018 9:23 AM

Obama is apparently of this generation.

by Anonymousreply 87April 4, 2018 9:42 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 88April 4, 2018 12:14 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 89April 12, 2018 6:19 AM

interesting.

by Anonymousreply 90May 14, 2018 3:56 AM

Keep in mind that this chart was made in 2016, so the age divisions are at least two years off.

According to wikipedia, Generation Jones is a term sometimes used for the latter half of the Baby Boom Generation, "those born from approximately 1954 to 1965, while other sources place the start point at 1956 or 1957." It's not been widely used, however--most people just group them with the Baby Boom Generation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91May 14, 2018 4:09 AM

R21 I don't understand why you would say a large portion of them were born to father's that didn't serve in the US Military? The people in this generation was born between 1954-1965, right? The draft basically started at the start of WWII and lasted until 1973. In addition, it was common during this period to volunteer so as to not be drafted. It is true that they were the first generation in which most of them did not serve, but they were still in a generation in which their father's were likely to have served.

by Anonymousreply 92May 14, 2018 4:10 AM

I can see why GJ have zero common bonds with BB.

by Anonymousreply 93May 14, 2018 4:15 AM

Some asshole has bumped this 11 times over the last several months.

by Anonymousreply 94May 14, 2018 4:20 AM

R85: Born in 1982 here, High School Class of 2000, and I consider myself a Vanguard Millennial. We played Oregon Trail on Apple Macs, the kind that had to have the disk in when your turned it on. I remember cable TV with the box and only about 50 channels, each channel being decoded as you switched to it. I remember being pissed off missing a program or forgetting to videotape it and having to wait for reruns. We're the Vanguards, the last kids to grow up without on-demand technology, and then all of a sudden, to have it granted to us, and we've adapted. The question is, how many vanguards are there versus the totally digitally immersed?

by Anonymousreply 95May 14, 2018 4:23 AM

[Quote] Some asshole has bumped this 11 times over the last several months.

Calm down, Mavis! Sheeeeeeeesh!

by Anonymousreply 96May 14, 2018 4:24 AM

My parents were 8 years old when WWII ended and I was born in the 60s. I shouldn’t be lumped in with Baby Boomers, who have different views and life experiences. The 60s were very important to making Baby Boomers who they are and I was a only a child and was not affected by all that.

by Anonymousreply 97May 14, 2018 4:38 AM

BB's were born between the late 40's to the late 50's. Gen Jones were born 1959 to 1969 to be exact.

by Anonymousreply 98May 14, 2018 5:07 AM

Generation Jones people were born in the 60's; 1960-1969. Period.

by Anonymousreply 99May 14, 2018 5:21 AM

R27 So true. Every point resonated with me.

by Anonymousreply 100May 14, 2018 5:42 AM

Early punks and hip hop artists are the most obvious of Generation Jones.

by Anonymousreply 101May 14, 2018 5:46 AM

fun.

by Anonymousreply 102May 15, 2018 1:36 AM

Good point R101 -- a significant cultural departure from the Boomers.

by Anonymousreply 103May 15, 2018 1:44 AM

Johnny Rotten b 1956. Sid Vicious b 1957 would be Gen Jones.

by Anonymousreply 104May 15, 2018 9:18 PM

bump for r94!

by Anonymousreply 105May 25, 2018 4:25 PM

by Anonymousreply 106December 5, 2018 5:07 AM

No one said their fathers didn't serve in the military, R92, The difference is their fathers weren't WWII vets. I was born in 1961. My father was drafted and served in the military AFTER WWII. He served in peace time. Very different from older boomers whose fathers served in a time of war.

From Wiki:

[quote]Jonesers were given huge expectations as children in the 1960s, and then confronted with a different reality as they came of age during a long period of mass unemployment and when de-industrialization arrived full force in the mid-late 1970s and 1980s, leaving them with a certain unrequited "jonesing" quality for the more prosperous days of the past.

This is complete bullshit written by someone who did not come of age during the Reagan years. Ever hear the term "Go-Go 80's"? It was a great time of prosperity. At least it was for me and my friends. If you graduated from college you were guaranteed a decent job (unlike now). You had to start low on the corporate ladder, but after a year or two opportunities became abundant, especially if you were willing to move. Lots of growth at that time. Booming real estate.

by Anonymousreply 107December 5, 2018 5:41 AM

Never hear of it. Ages 54 - 73 are Baby Boomers.

by Anonymousreply 108December 5, 2018 5:41 AM

[quote]All I can say as a member is that the real Baby Boomers got EVERYTHING and left the scraps for those that followed.

Sing it. I was born in 1966; I heard the Generation Jones term a couple of years ago and it describes me to a tee but I definitely favor Gen X.

by Anonymousreply 109December 5, 2018 5:44 AM

If you’ve ever met a racist hippie, and trust me they exist, chances are they’re generation Jones. They’re very distinct from the old school Boomers who actually sort of tried to change the world. Gen Jones people are generally vapid morons. Cf. That 70s show where Donna was held up as someone who could change the world instead of the cornfed bore that she was.

by Anonymousreply 110December 5, 2018 6:04 AM

mmmmmmmmm

by Anonymousreply 111December 5, 2018 4:54 PM

r107 = white male

by Anonymousreply 112December 5, 2018 4:57 PM

[Quote] Ever hear the term "Go-Go 80's"?

No, I'm not a white guy. You douche.

by Anonymousreply 113December 5, 2018 4:58 PM

R86 - it was Marcy Playground, "Sex and Candy."

by Anonymousreply 114December 5, 2018 5:25 PM

Generation Jones are also known as the PUNK GENERATION. They were the early punk pioneers, some of them at least. They're all mostly conservatives now, like the Boomers are. I imagine that Millennials will become conservatives too, and the Gen Z's seem already slightly conservative. They seem more like Gen Jones.

by Anonymousreply 115December 5, 2018 5:51 PM

Generation Jones people = their parents were children during WW2 as opposed to Boomers who were just being born then.

by Anonymousreply 116December 5, 2018 5:53 PM

by Anonymousreply 117December 11, 2018 7:07 PM

[quote} They're all mostly conservatives now, like the Boomers are.

Not necessarily. I was born in 1961 and do not consider myself as Conservative. We were teenagers during the 1970s when the environmental movement began. Some of us hung on to that.

[quote]This is complete bullshit written by someone who did not come of age during the Reagan years. Ever hear the term "Go-Go 80's"? It was a great time of prosperity. At least it was for me and my friends. If you graduated from college you were guaranteed a decent job (unlike now). You had to start low on the corporate ladder, but after a year or two opportunities became abundant, especially if you were willing to move. Lots of growth at that time. Booming real estate.

Yes & No. The 80s were a prosperous time, if you already had money. If you were in the lower classes, it was a struggle. (Trickle-down economics does not work.) Though I will agree that jobs were easier to get after college.

by Anonymousreply 118December 11, 2018 10:47 PM

Jones bump!

by Anonymousreply 119January 14, 2019 5:22 PM

We know they don’t actually exist.

by Anonymousreply 120January 14, 2019 5:40 PM

They are all on the data lounge. Grouchy, conservative, and closeted. Nothing like the first half baby boomers (1945-1955)

by Anonymousreply 121January 14, 2019 5:48 PM

r120,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122January 14, 2019 6:15 PM

Calm down, Jones

by Anonymousreply 123January 14, 2019 6:17 PM

R123,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124January 14, 2019 7:20 PM

Fucked over, royally by our older brothers and sisters.

by Anonymousreply 125January 14, 2019 9:20 PM

Amen, sister/r125.

by Anonymousreply 126January 15, 2019 8:17 PM

When did generations start being only 10 years?

by Anonymousreply 127January 15, 2019 9:04 PM

A loooooong time ago, r127.

by Anonymousreply 128January 15, 2019 9:10 PM

Maybe generations are no longer an 18 yr span as the world has changed so drastically; so many drastic changes have taken place. It seems it's now ten years, every decade. Prior to Gen Jones (mostly people born in the 60s) it was common for sons and daughters to follow tradition and to follow in their parents footsteps. The world didn't change nearly as drastically back then. The way the fast-paced, constantly changing world is now, if you are ten years either way of a person you probably have very little, if anything, in common and your life experiences would also be very different as would the world events you were subjected to.

by Anonymousreply 129January 16, 2019 2:03 PM

As part of the tail end of the Baby Boom, we had to pay more for housing , because housing stock was bought up by elders. Every job we had was cutting back on benefits in a big way , often eliminating pensions and replacing with 401k plans. Many jobs were not even a possibility, Teaching, Fire, Police, all were filled and openings were scarce if you weren't a relative of someone already inside. We were the first generation told that our first job would like not last, and we would face a lifetime of retraining, and continuing education to keep up with he rapidly changing economy. The boomers enjoyed all the benefits from their parents' work and made it their business to cut back everything for anyone who came after them. We also saw all the professions, law, medicine, public service all lose the prestige they once had.

by Anonymousreply 130January 16, 2019 2:15 PM

I feel like an authority. I'm a certified BB. My husband is a Jones. He thinks his generation is the worst. They love theme restaurants, put helmets on their babies, have houses where everything is new and matches, never learned how to do anything useful like sew or mechanics. They were latchkey kids whose moms worked, so cereal in front of the TV was dinner. Generation Jones was the first generation not to grow up but remain childish. They fetishize pets, sports, appearance, their children, games. Really, other than my husband, can't think of anything good about this generation.

by Anonymousreply 131January 16, 2019 2:30 PM

^ I agree R131 - And when they entered the workforce in the early 90's all hell broke lose and only got considerably worse from there. By the late 90s/2000 the corporate workplace was full of toxic know-it-all narcissists. Same for when they got their driver's license. Road-rage was unheard of until the early 90s, long after the Baby-Boomers started driving in the early 60s to late 70s. And the same for air travel. Same for towns that used to be nice to live/visit. Everything changed for the worse when Gen Jones came of age in the early 90s and got progressively worse year after year by the Gen Xers.

R130 The majority (not all but most) Baby-Boomers actually suffered through exactly what you are describing.

Only the earliest/first wave of BB's born in the mid 40s through 1950 enjoyed those perks. I knew men born in the 50s who could not get a job as a cop and women as a teacher because they didn't have anyone in the police force/school system to recommend them. Most BB's did not have it as easy as you've been led to believe.

Really, unless you were there and actually lived through it, it's hard to imagine.

And there were so many of us (hence "Boom") and limited job openings that we had to literally beg for a suckass minimum wage part time job since our parents could not even hand us a $5 dollar bill every now and then. They would have had to hand out to the rest of their kids and could not afford to do so. They didn't have the money.

We HAD to have a paper route or babysitting service or lawn mowing service or some minimum wage job for everyday spending money or we couldn't even go to the local pizza shop for a slice of pizza or the local movie theater or the corner deli for a root beer float. We were stuck inside, alone, staring at the four walls or tying to figure out which TV show out of five lousy channels we should watch, most of which were boring or reruns.

Many of us were either abused by our stressed out, overworked, uneducated parents or by others from their generation, especially in the school classrooms and/or in a part time minimum wage payroll job. There were no decent jobs for new college grads and as a result many of us with really good grades didn't bother to get our college degree. We knew we couldn't pay off the student loans and would have been shamed into the next decade for it. Those who did secure employment took minimum wage jobs just to get their foot in the door, for as long as a few years, to prove themselves, and as a springboard to get to a real job.

Sorry, but whomever fed you all of that distorted information is wrong. Don't believe everything you hear that you yourself did not experience.

by Anonymousreply 132January 16, 2019 8:53 PM

Never heard of this category before this post.

by Anonymousreply 133January 16, 2019 8:58 PM

WHY must any humans be categorized? Especially those who don't want to be?

by Anonymousreply 134January 16, 2019 9:08 PM

r131 and r132 are clueless.

by Anonymousreply 135January 16, 2019 9:27 PM

[Quote] And when they entered the workforce in the early 90's

What?

GJ were from 1954 to 1964. So how does that mathematically work out?

by Anonymousreply 136January 16, 2019 9:32 PM

Apparently I'm a member of this generation, but never heard of it until now. At least now I know I'm not a Baby Boomer.

by Anonymousreply 137January 16, 2019 9:33 PM

Wiki:

[Quote] Generation Jones is a term coined by the author Jonathan Pontell to describe those born from approximately 1954 to 1964, while other sources place the start point at 1956[1] or 1957.[2][3] This group is essentially the latter half of the baby boomers to the first years of Generation X.[4][5][6][7] Unlike older baby boomers, most of Generation Jones did not grow up with World War II veterans as fathers, and for them there was no compulsory military service and no defining political cause, as opposition to United States involvement in the Vietnam War had been for older boomers.[8]

by Anonymousreply 138January 16, 2019 9:36 PM

Jones entered the workforce in the late 70s and early 80s. What made everything worse from there is that the ww2 guys were retiring and the Baby Boomers were now in charge:

"The boomers enjoyed all the benefits from their parents' work and made it their business to cut back everything for anyone who came after them. We also saw all the professions, law, medicine, public service all lose the prestige they once had."

by Anonymousreply 139January 16, 2019 9:41 PM

r131 & r132 = Boomers with dementia

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140January 16, 2019 9:47 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141January 17, 2019 1:35 AM

54, never heard the Jones term before. We don't like older baby-boomers, many of us identify more with Gen X. Older baby-boomers are highly privileged and overbearing. We were asked do you worship the Beatles and Barbra Streisand, and before we could answer, they said yes you do, now open your mouth while we shove all our opinions down your throat.

by Anonymousreply 142January 17, 2019 1:51 AM

R138 born 1957 here and i did learn not long ago that i was part of a historic small sliver of men not required to register for civil service , sandwiched between those older and those younger than me!.

by Anonymousreply 143January 17, 2019 2:02 AM

This shit again?

by Anonymousreply 144January 17, 2019 2:21 AM

No one born in the 1960's is even remotely a baby boomer. WWII had been over for 15 years by that point, and the early boomers were already old enough to have kids of their own.

Also, we mostly get ignored.

by Anonymousreply 145January 17, 2019 2:26 AM

[Quote] Generation Jones was the first generation not to grow up but remain childish.

Actually the opposite, ASSHOLE! Because they had to be their own parent {because their parents were working} they grew up faster. Many had to take care of their younger siblings at the same time. They were basically mini adults but because you are a boomer you never saw that because you were so fucking busy thinking about yourself, cunt!

by Anonymousreply 146January 17, 2019 2:40 AM

Ha ha

The jones troll is a nasty little bugger

by Anonymousreply 147January 17, 2019 2:42 AM

Calm down, limey/r147.

by Anonymousreply 148January 17, 2019 2:43 AM

Baby Boomers only go to being born in 1964, so some of this phony classification are really Gen X. I’m one of them, and HATE this stupid Gen Jones name. Fuck off, OP. F&F.

by Anonymousreply 149January 17, 2019 2:47 AM

Oh and I eat old peoples excrement.

by Anonymousreply 150January 17, 2019 2:49 AM

[quote]No one born in the 1960's is even remotely a baby boomer. WWII had been over for 15 years by that point, and the early boomers were already old enough to have kids of their own.

What a stupid comment. Early boomers only cover four years in the 1940s. None of them would have started having kids till the very late 60s, or even later, in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 151January 17, 2019 2:50 AM

Almost this entire thread is the same person. Who do we know who’s loony enough to talk to himself throughout an entire thread?

by Anonymousreply 152January 17, 2019 2:52 AM

Oh and my pussy stinks.

by Anonymousreply 153January 17, 2019 2:52 AM

Hasta la vista, pajaro.

by Anonymousreply 154January 17, 2019 3:17 AM

There are too many damn generations and microgenerations now. Gen Jones, Xennial, Gen Z, something called Alpha. Who knows what they will come up with next? And it's nearly impossible to keep track of who has grievances against whom.

by Anonymousreply 155January 17, 2019 3:19 AM

That pretty much sums it up

It’s all just a Madison Avenue invention anyway

by Anonymousreply 156January 17, 2019 3:38 AM

by Anonymousreply 157January 17, 2019 5:44 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158January 17, 2019 11:00 PM

I'd like to propose another sub-generation: the SpaceX Generation.

Born between 1966 and 1971, SpaceX kids became sentient in a world where men walking on the moon on live TV was something that happened every few weeks. Adults made a big fuss, and we really didn't understand why. Of COURSE there were men walking on the moon. Hadn't there ALWAYS been?

Generation SpaceX started school after the Apollo program wound down, and YEARS before the Shuttle was anything besides drawings in cheesy comic books. The only thing noteworthy that happened space-wise the whole time we were in elementary school was... Skylab crashing. Whatever that was.

Sometime around middle school, the US finally had a space program again. The first space shuttle launched... and didn't go to the moon. It couldn't even take off like an airplane like all the comic books they handed out to us in elementary school showed. WTF, a glider strapped onto rockets? Boring. Then, in high school, the Challenger blew up. Bye-bye space program for a few more years.

College. Still no space program. Finally, the shuttle launches resumed. NASA fucked up Hubble, did a bunch of launches that were either secret or boring, then finally fixed Hubble. Hubble was cool.

The Soviet Union ceased to exist, and the Shuttle became officially boring page-3 news. It launched every few months... nobody cared, and few even noticed.

Challenger crashed, and for the third time in our lives, we were without an active, meaningful, visible space program again. Finally, the launches resumed, then the last shuttle launch occurred, and for the FOURTH time in our lives, our space program was effectively dead again... except THIS time around, NASA really did seem to be dead in the water, with no real future at all.

Then, some guy named Elon Musk happened, and for the first time since we were toddlers, we had something to be excited about again. Not coincidentally, Elon Musk himself is part of Generation SpaceX, and would probably be delighted if the name caught on.

Either way, Generation SpaceX has a unique nihilistic cynicism about space travel. We grew up reading old sci-fi promising a 21st century where people went to the moon for family vacations and remembered seeing things on TV that made it seem like it might actually happen... but pretty much everything that happened between the time we started school and a few years ago seemed to be a sine wave oscillating between "lame/boring" and "nonexistent/shut-down".

by Anonymousreply 159January 22, 2019 8:46 AM

interesting.

by Anonymousreply 160May 25, 2019 5:49 AM

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 161May 25, 2019 6:46 AM

This garbage again? No one recognizes Generation Jones as legitimate. Stop trying to make this happen.

by Anonymousreply 162May 25, 2019 6:50 AM

Something is happening here, but you don't know what it is,

Do you, Mr. Jones?

by Anonymousreply 163May 25, 2019 6:50 AM

Well dawgies. It's moi.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164May 25, 2019 7:30 AM

by Anonymousreply 165May 25, 2019 7:19 PM

I’ve had an argument for years with my self-proclaimed baby boomer relative, who was born in 1943. I thought the whole point of boomers was that they were born after WW2, not during it. Also this relative claims that I’m also a boomer (1965). I don’t even remember the 60’s, and was born after the JFK assasination, so I don’t think so. This relative is an annoying old hippy who tries to talk themselves into being forever young. From my observations, the boomers and whatever it is right before them, have the biggest obsession with youth.

by Anonymousreply 166May 25, 2019 8:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!