Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Prince Edward

We've talked about all the other royals but him. He was the prettiest royal until, like William, he hit the was by about age 22. He's kind of been a boring fuck up all his life. It must have been sad when Philip made him cry in public for dropping out of Marine training. He was only made an Earl. Unlike Andrew who was made a Duke. Why that matters when you're already a prince I don't know. I wonder if the Queen disapproves of his flaming homosexuality.

This is one thing I've loved about Datalounge. I never knew much about the British Royalty until I read the threads here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297October 15, 2019 1:42 AM

Those are two pictures of the same person?

by Anonymousreply 1October 10, 2017 10:25 AM

Phillip is not Edward's father.

Common but unspoken knowlege.

by Anonymousreply 2October 10, 2017 10:28 AM

He went from stud to fugly.

by Anonymousreply 3October 10, 2017 10:32 AM

The young men in that family have the cutest rosiest cheeks. He was a stud.

by Anonymousreply 4October 10, 2017 11:27 AM

He will be a duke when Prince Philip dies and the title of Duke of Edinburgh passes to Edward.

by Anonymousreply 5October 10, 2017 11:33 AM

It seems like royal teeth never stop growing. With all their money you think he would have done something to whiten those Chiclets.

by Anonymousreply 6October 10, 2017 11:35 AM

Philip’s favorite son is Anne.

The Queen’s favorite son is Andrew, but I would bet she has a soft spot for Edward too since he’s her baby. He seems to be a nice guy, if you watch YouTube videos of him opening a center or unveiling a plaque he does it with self deprecating humor and tries to make everyone feel at ease. He’s funny, actually. I’d rather spend time with him than with boorish Andrew or boring William.

by Anonymousreply 7October 10, 2017 11:53 AM

I thought Andrew was the hottie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 10, 2017 11:54 AM

Have we decided if the three sons are cut or uncut? I think we settled on cut.

by Anonymousreply 9October 10, 2017 12:03 PM

Not Philip's son? He looks just like the rest of the lot, especially those horse teeth.

by Anonymousreply 10October 10, 2017 12:33 PM

r2 I think that's meant to be Andrew the arms dealer. Whose dad is supposedly that nice but boring horse manager in The Crown (also known as the 7th Earl of Carnarvon).

by Anonymousreply 11October 10, 2017 12:33 PM

Edward WAS so good looking in his youth. Sorta knew it was all going to change in his early 20's because of that receding hairline to the back of the head & beyond that happens with UK royalty.

From what I've read over the years, Edward is mummy's favourite.

Why do you say fugly Phillip didn't breed Edward?

by Anonymousreply 12October 10, 2017 12:34 PM

From what I understand, Andrew is the Queen's favorite. Certainly not Charles. Though Charles was definitely the Queen Mother's favorite.

by Anonymousreply 13October 10, 2017 12:49 PM

I thought this was going to be about the Duke of Windsor. Can't they get a little more variety with the names?

Is he the one married to Sophie? He's gay? Explain.

Isn't the Earl of Carvanon the King Tut guy?

Man, Charles got the short end of the looks stick. He didn't even start out cute.

by Anonymousreply 14October 10, 2017 12:54 PM

Forgot how handsome he was...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 10, 2017 1:19 PM

Damn. I had no idea he used to be so hot!

by Anonymousreply 16October 10, 2017 2:47 PM

Same thing that happened to Prince William.

by Anonymousreply 17October 10, 2017 3:09 PM

Carnarvon, not Carvanon

by Anonymousreply 18October 10, 2017 7:49 PM

Let’s call it The Windsor Wall. They all hit it around 30.

by Anonymousreply 19October 10, 2017 8:07 PM

So he is the one they called Dolly of the Docks?

by Anonymousreply 20October 10, 2017 8:14 PM

Dockyard Doris

by Anonymousreply 21October 10, 2017 8:22 PM

Supposedly one of the Queen's kids is not Philip's. She froze him out after she caught him cheating. I can tell the youngest child isn't Philip's. Her riding coach or someone having to do with the royal stables is his dad.

by Anonymousreply 22October 10, 2017 11:01 PM

But that mop of hair. Dam what did he do to lose all of that so soon?

by Anonymousreply 23October 10, 2017 11:38 PM

[quote]When gossipist Nigel Dempster wrote in the Daily Mail that Edward had a "touching friendship" with a male actor, the young Prince finally responded---angrily. During a visit to New York City, he snapped at reporters and said, "I am not gay."

[quote]The tabloids speculated that the tall, blond Prince and his attractive girlfriend were decoys put forward by the Palace to divert attention from the rest of the family. Edward, always prickly about criticism, faxed London's news organizations adn demanded that reporters "leave me and my girlfriend along and give us privacy." The Queen obliged by letting it be known that she had given permission for Sophie to spend nights with Edward in his apartment at Buckingham Palace. The Archdeacon of York scolded Her Majesty for allowing the couple to live in sin. "We still look to the royal family to set an example," he said, urging the Windsors to return to the values of "no sex before marriage." The Queen ignored the clergyman, and Prince Philip called him a pompous ass.

by Anonymousreply 24October 10, 2017 11:43 PM

It’s youth. They’re cute when they’re young. Men, I mean.

by Anonymousreply 25October 11, 2017 12:41 AM

I think William is still very hot.

by Anonymousreply 26October 11, 2017 12:41 AM

[quote]The royals are rated by servants in an unofficial league table according to who is the most popular to work for. The Queen has been excepted from the list out of deference.

[quote]The Earl of Wessex is considered the most pompous royal, insisting on absolute formality at all times. His chauffeur is instructed always to face the front, even if the car is stationary.

by Anonymousreply 27October 11, 2017 12:53 AM

[quote] It must have been sad when Philip made him cry in public for dropping out of Marine training.

That never happened.

[quote] He was only made an Earl. Unlike Andrew who was made a Duke. Why that matters when you're already a prince I don't know.

He was made an earl and not duke by his own choice: he thinks there are too many (expensive) dukedoms in the royal family, and was willing to wait until his father dies to inherit his father's royal dukedom. When Philip dies, Edward will succeed to the dukedom of Edinburgh, and his own son James (currently the Viscount Severn) will succeed to his father's title of the Earl of Wessex.

[quote] I wonder if the Queen disapproves of his flaming homosexuality.

He's not flamingly gay. There were rumors when he was younger he was gay, but they don't seem to have been true. He may be bisexual, but that's as far as it goes.

[quote] This is one thing I've loved about Datalounge. I never knew much about the British Royalty until I read the threads here.

You've learned nothing but misinformation, clearly.

by Anonymousreply 28October 11, 2017 1:09 AM

HI EDWARD!

by Anonymousreply 29October 11, 2017 1:10 AM

[quote]THE Queen has paid the Earl and Countess of Wessex £250,000 to end their controversial business careers in an extraordinary face-saving exercise.

by Anonymousreply 30October 11, 2017 1:15 AM

He hand picked the title because it was used in a movie he loved. Otherwise the title hasn’t been used by a royal in hundreds of years. As mentioned above, it’s sort of a placeholder and he’ll get Edinburgh in due time. I guess The Queen (in her role as font of all honors) will do some sort of LP or something to make Philip’s title pass to her youngest son instead of to the oldest as one would expect. Charles couldn’t hold the title anyway once he became monarch.

by Anonymousreply 31October 11, 2017 1:19 AM

Sweden's Prince Carl Philip has managed to retain his studliness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 11, 2017 1:29 AM

Prince George already looks like he needs to be fitted for a baby wig.

by Anonymousreply 33October 11, 2017 1:39 AM

Prince George is being taught to swim at the Buckingham Palace pool.

by Anonymousreply 34October 11, 2017 1:40 AM

There was a day back in the 90s when all the tabloids in England outed him as gay. HEADLINES.

I remember seeing it when I was in Sainsbury's in Camden Town.

I guess they had to take it back.

by Anonymousreply 35October 11, 2017 1:49 AM

In terms of royal hotness, few can touch Prince Carl Philip. He’s extraordinarily handsome. If only he were a bit taller though.

by Anonymousreply 36October 11, 2017 2:07 AM

I think the hottest British royal is Peter Phillips ..yet nobody really talks about him, even on here

by Anonymousreply 37October 11, 2017 2:23 AM

^^^hes not a royal. He’s not a noble. He’s just a rich guy with interesting maternal ancestry.

by Anonymousreply 38October 11, 2017 2:25 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 11, 2017 2:29 AM

R39- Good lord is that a homely looking group.

by Anonymousreply 40October 11, 2017 2:46 AM

If you want to see Edward at his gayest, look up 'Its a Royal Knockout' on Youtube. Absolute disaster for the Royals and all Edwards idea.

He threw a tantrum at the press conference afterwards and stormed out. It was all very amusing. I remember it well.

by Anonymousreply 41October 11, 2017 2:47 AM

If Lord Ivar Mountbatten marries his boyfriend, will the boyfriend a title?

by Anonymousreply 42October 11, 2017 2:51 AM

[quote] Prince George already looks like he needs to be fitted for a baby wig.

Men inherit their hair genes from their mother's paternal line, which is why William is bald and why Harry is balding and a redhead--Diana's father was from a line of balding redheads (famously) and blonds.

George will inherit a great head of hair--Michael Middleton has nice thick hair even in late middle age.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43October 11, 2017 3:05 AM

Idiot! Peter Phillips IS a royal. His mum is Princess Anne. No title, cause Anne is garbage and hates her family, but he IS of noble blood!

by Anonymousreply 44October 11, 2017 3:06 AM

Very long, lots of current and historical photos, and the most comprehensive behind-the-scenes Royal gossip I have ever seen at link:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45October 11, 2017 3:07 AM

[quote] but he IS of noble blood!

He is in part, but he is also of common blood. His father Mark Phillips is a commoner, and was never granted a courtesy title.

He is not a royal.

by Anonymousreply 46October 11, 2017 3:10 AM

[quote]Have we decided if the three sons are cut or uncut? I think we settled on cut.

the montbatten-windsors always mutilated the males so charles and his bros are cut. when diana came along, she put a stop to the barbaric practice so william and harry are beautifully intact

by Anonymousreply 47October 11, 2017 3:11 AM

The Peter Phillips troll is stupid. Title or not, his mother being royal makes him one. If not, then Kate Middleton's brats wouldn't be royals. Princess Anne DECLINED to allow him a title, or any such thing.

by Anonymousreply 48October 11, 2017 3:15 AM

Lord Porchester was rumored to have been Andrew's father

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 11, 2017 3:15 AM

Baron Plunkett was rumored to be Edward's father

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50October 11, 2017 3:16 AM

Edward produced and hosted a documentary about the Duke of Windsor. I thought it would be a whitewash regarding how shabbily he was treated after the abdication, but it ended up being very revealing and honest. Edward has the charisma and presence to be a good TV personality.

All this talk about the Royals being homely is curious. Prince Philip was always an Adonis. Elizabeth was ravishing, with her perfect skin, lovely hair, big bright eyes, dazzling smile and curvy figure. Margaret was stunning when she was young.

If Anne hadn't had the misfortune of developing a long face with too-big teeth, the whole perception of the family wouldn't have been so negative.

by Anonymousreply 51October 11, 2017 3:18 AM

Edward’s former love Michael Ball has hit a wall, too, but it’s a wall of fat.

by Anonymousreply 52October 11, 2017 3:21 AM

even charles was doable when young

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53October 11, 2017 3:22 AM

"Curtains going up!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54October 11, 2017 3:29 AM

R32, isn't that royal half adjacent? As in DL's meaning of white adjacent referring to not "white white"?

That guy is smoldering and will be to his death. Live forever!

by Anonymousreply 55October 11, 2017 3:32 AM

R43 agree! Middleton is just a few follicles short of that fabeaux Kennedy hair!

by Anonymousreply 56October 11, 2017 3:35 AM

Oh R45, I could drown there like I did when one of you guys linked to a site about the splendid royal jewels. Couldn't look away. Tab kept open. My God!

by Anonymousreply 57October 11, 2017 3:37 AM

"will the boyfriend receive a title?"

by Anonymousreply 58October 11, 2017 3:38 AM

As will George, r19. He has William's nose.

by Anonymousreply 59October 11, 2017 3:40 AM

Yes! R49, that's the guy I mentioned above as the true dad. He was so close with the Queen. Just looking you can see he isn't Philip's son...but looking at that guy, you can't deny the resemblance.

Proves that old saying true : The richest welfare family in the world.

She stuck it right back to that gigolo Philip.

by Anonymousreply 60October 11, 2017 3:41 AM

but i will moisturize, bitches

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61October 11, 2017 3:45 AM

R50 agree. Some traits of Charles and Anne are mistaken. Clearly supposed to be Philip's. If you look at the Queen's bloodline, you'll see most of those traits are hers. No doubt Charles is the son of Philip and Charles the dad of William and Harry. I'm gonna go with the anthropologist, geneticists and genealogists and favor the opinion that Liz had 4 children by 3 different fathers. When you look at history, it does make sense.

She wasn't to be made a fool of by Philip. Take in fact the men she spent an inordinate amount of time with around the births of Andrew and Edward. Just go look. I'm afraid it is true. Not really afraid. I'm proud that the Queen got her own life on-after Philip many affairs. Fuck him.

Long live the Queen. Live forever!

by Anonymousreply 62October 11, 2017 3:49 AM

And, R(57), I did not mention with the link provided, how difficult I found it to follow all the nick names:

The Queer, the Duck, the Chimp, Prince Buggerlugs?, Dobbin (AKA Princess Horseface!)........ it just goes on and on and makes me giggle something fierce.

by Anonymousreply 63October 11, 2017 3:51 AM

Out loud R61. Love you and thank you. ♡

by Anonymousreply 64October 11, 2017 3:58 AM

Despite keeping true to keeping traditions, Liz is and was a thoroughly modern girl. Her choice of service during WW2 being a driver and full fledged auto mechanic just says it all. Don't forget the glee she took in driving royal Saudis around her estate and through London back in the day.

I'm not a royalist by any means but I feel the Commonwealth hit the jackpot with this one. She really lived by her speech during coronation. Animals love her. She's an animal lover, to boot. Since day one she's been walking the walk. Gotta give it to her. She is thoroughly aware of her role and that role is the keeper of tradition. But she tweaks it. She's keeping the light on for all of our European ancestors.

Liz, sempre vivre.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65October 11, 2017 4:15 AM

Oh Wow! Not to derail this thread, but I was reading another article on the Daily Fail, and came across this (regarding the corgis and dorgis):

[quote]They haven’t all had long lives, however. In 2003 Pharos was savaged by Princess Anne’s bull terrier Dotty and had to be put down.

[quote]And in 1989 the Queen Mother’s dog Ranger led a pack of corgis that killed Chipper, the Queen’s favourite dorgi.

by Anonymousreply 66October 11, 2017 4:20 AM

we royals didn't get to the top of the heap by being wussies, so why would our dogs?

by Anonymousreply 67October 11, 2017 4:25 AM

Will you not listen to this shit? Talk of wireless and all races. She fucking kills it in this speech. She has been true to her word. This speech could be written today and pass. Unbelievable!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68October 11, 2017 4:26 AM

Boy, the "girls" of DL really don't know jackshit about genetics. All the quackery babbled in this thread is simply old wives tales. When is comes to baldness, every child is born with genes that have the potential of allowing the kid to be hairy or smooth as a new born's ass. Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut and allow those reading your "great thoughts and proclamations" only suspect you're a stupid idiot. Let's hope those stupid declarations may have been spouted by an emotional straight person.

by Anonymousreply 69October 11, 2017 5:19 AM

Oh, like you're Gregor Johann Mendel, Miss Blanche at r55.

by Anonymousreply 70October 11, 2017 5:58 AM

If a guy's maternal grandfather was bald, it's likely that the guy will be too.

by Anonymousreply 71October 11, 2017 7:10 AM

I never like him NOR his island

by Anonymousreply 72October 11, 2017 7:15 AM

Does a Duke get more than an Earl, like a bigger sword, or a trifle pudding instead of a Yorkshire?

by Anonymousreply 73October 11, 2017 7:22 AM

Everybody, please, I beg you. Don’t embarrass yourselves further with this nonsense about Peter Phillips being royal. He certainly is not. His MOTHER is royal. That does not descend through the female line in The UK without a special remainder from the sovereign, which did not happen. He’s not even noble, Anne wanted her children to grow up as commoners so a noble title (an earldom) was declined before her wedding to her first husband.

He’s not royal or noble. He’s a wealthy commoner with interesting lineage on his mother’s side. That is all. Regardless of that, he’s said to be one of his grandmother’s favorites.

by Anonymousreply 74October 11, 2017 12:41 PM

I met Prince Edward in 1998 and definitely got a gay vibe. Nothing overwhelming in his behavior, just the sort of eye contact that made me realize, oh, he’s gay too.

by Anonymousreply 75October 11, 2017 12:49 PM

They might have been attractive for one brief shining moment in their youth, but the Queen's brood returned to type, thanks to a gene pool that lacks good looks for the most part. They all have protruding teeth and long noses. The men suffer from premature balding. Diana's children benefited from new blood, but they both have inherited the Windsor/Mountbatten-Glucksburg looks.

Peter Philips is the son of a commoner, and his mother refused any courtesy titles for him and his sister.

As a whole, all they are interested are horses, dogs, and hunting...an incredibly dull, boorish, incurious lot.

The only impressive member of the whole lot is Lady Sarah Chatto, the Queen's niece. Look up interviews of her on the 'net. She's interesting, leads an ordinary life, has an art gallery, and offers an interesting perspective of her relatives. And her son Arthur is a Prince Charming!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76October 11, 2017 1:32 PM

R76, Yes, Arthur Chatto deserves his own DL Instagram following.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77October 11, 2017 2:16 PM

I remember watching a video of a sting done on Edward and his wife, who were influence peddling.

One of the people in the sting said to Edward's assistant: "Are the rumors true about him being gay?"

And she responded: "Well, where there's smoke . . . "

by Anonymousreply 78October 11, 2017 2:52 PM

R32, Prince Carl Philip suffers from the dreaded tiny nip syndrome. Sad, really.

by Anonymousreply 79October 11, 2017 3:12 PM

He asked to be made an Earl, which is why he wasn't made a Duke. He has always had a fascination of Medieval times, which is why he also asked for the territorial designation of his earldom to be Wessex. There had not been an Earl of Wessex since the 11th century.

by Anonymousreply 80October 11, 2017 3:34 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81October 11, 2017 11:16 PM

My two brothers are balding, at age 60. That’s from my Dad’s family. I have a full head of salt and pepper hair, like my Mom’s brother. Since they had different fathers (we think), it must come from my Grandmother’s side of the family.

by Anonymousreply 82October 11, 2017 11:50 PM

James, Viscount Severen. I think he’s adorable. How old is he now?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83October 12, 2017 12:00 AM

That’s Severn.

by Anonymousreply 84October 12, 2017 12:49 AM

Whatever, he’s cute! He’s still only 9.

by Anonymousreply 85October 12, 2017 2:38 AM

He's quite precious.

[quote]Prince Edward once had the royal suppliers of umbrellas instruct his policemen on the correct way to unfurl them.

by Anonymousreply 86October 12, 2017 2:37 PM

I was told he was an obnoxious cunt. This isn’t first hand information, the guy who met him was a police officer detailed to him during a visit somewhere or other in England. The prince got there, looked at the rainy weather and said he was not going to meet the crowds of schoolchildren standing waiting. It was an official part of the visit but he brushed it off. The guy told me Eddie is deeply unpleasant and very on his dignity but not so all out creepy horrible as Andy. He quite liked Chuck and Ann.

That’s my only royal scoop, a guy I met who was friend of a friend.

by Anonymousreply 87October 12, 2017 3:18 PM

It' interesting that Philip tops the popularity table among the palace employees.

by Anonymousreply 88October 12, 2017 4:30 PM

I still say Edward's kids were sired by a turkey baster.

by Anonymousreply 89October 12, 2017 4:39 PM

Sophie looks like a world class grifter.

by Anonymousreply 90October 12, 2017 10:11 PM

[quote] The prince got there, looked at the rainy weather and said he was not going to meet the crowds of schoolchildren standing waiting. It was an official part of the visit but he brushed it off. The guy told me Eddie is deeply unpleasant and very on his dignity but not so all out creepy horrible as Andy. He quite liked Chuck and Ann.

Anne's done this sort of thing before too: don;t be fooled. There was a special on her about twenty years ago on British TV about a trip she made to New Zealand; she got pissed with how long the photographer was taking setting up a shot with Kiwi schoolchildren, and she just called off the whole photoshoot to punish him--she didn't care about the schoolchildren.

The truth is most royals (INCLUDING Anne) are extremely spoiled and arrogant. The queen herself is an exception, and my understanding William is too: they both had it drilled into their heads they must always be patient and professional if they're to be the monarch one day. Charles did not seem to learn this lesson, I think because his father was such a dick to him and because his mother mostly ignored him. But everyone in the royal family made sure they didn't make the same mistake with William. William may be boring, but he's very professional.

by Anonymousreply 91October 13, 2017 12:56 AM

Who would show up and wait for Edward or Anne? The only ones I would have shown up for would be Betty or Di. Maybe Fergie in her early days. They always tried to paint Diana as crazy but she never shirked her duty. She was always out there connecting with the public. I couldn't imagine any of the other royals being like this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92October 13, 2017 1:08 AM

Michael Ball is GAY????!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 93December 30, 2017 11:18 PM

Edward pissed off the Royal Family by going to work for Andrew Loyd Webber. How embarrassing that one of the Royals has to work in the legitimate theater with gays and prostitutes.

by Anonymousreply 94December 30, 2017 11:21 PM

Have you worked on Broadway? Then you haven't worked in the legitimate theatre.

by Anonymousreply 95December 30, 2017 11:24 PM

I require more explanation, r74. How can the GRANDSON of the Queen and the SON of a Princess not be a Royal? Just because his father isn't titled doesn't make him non-royal, considering his lineage. I watch enough American TV to know this with certainty.

by Anonymousreply 96December 30, 2017 11:25 PM

Andrew used to be handsome

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97December 30, 2017 11:25 PM

Edward is an interesting character. He aimed for the Royal Marines -- tougher than the Royal Navy which his brothers went into -- and then dropped out. We are told that Philip strongly supported his decision to drop out. Edward opted to be a royal earl rather than a royal duke, and for his children not to use the style Prince and Princes, and His/Her Royal Highness. He will not inherit the title "Duke of Edinburgh" when his father dies because that title would automatically go to Philip's eldest son, Prince Charles. Charles can opt out of the title and it can then be recreated by the Queen for Edward, but Edward would be the 1st Duke of Edinburgh on a new creation. Edward's decision for his children not to be HRH's and Prince/Princess has been lauded by many for keeping the royal family smaller.

by Anonymousreply 98December 30, 2017 11:28 PM

R96, here's the story. The sons and daughters of the sovereign are Princes and Princesses of the United Kingdom and are allowed to use the designation His/Her Royal Highness. The same is true of the children of the sovereign's sons, but not the sovereign's daughters. Exceptions have been made when the sovereign wants to bestow a title on his daughter's children (as Edward VII did). This was not done for the children of Princess Margaret or Princess Anne. Interestingly, it used to be the case at the title Prince could continue ad infinitum down the male line, but in 1917 King George V limited it to the grandchildren of the sovereign in the male line, but not beyond. That's why the children of HRH Prince Richard, the Duke of Gloucester, and HRH Prince Edward, the Duke of Kent are not princes or princesses and have the titles as children of dukes.

by Anonymousreply 99December 30, 2017 11:33 PM

Thus, Edward is an exception. He unexpectedly expressed his desire to be an earl and for his children not to be a prince or princess or an HRH.

by Anonymousreply 100December 30, 2017 11:35 PM

As for choosing the "Earl of Wessex" title because he liked it in a movie:

[quote] The Sunday Telegraph newspaper reported that he was drawn to the historic title of Earl of Wessex after watching the 1998 film Shakespeare in Love, in which a character with the title 'Lord Wessex' is played by Colin Firth.

And it is a good title indeed as long as he doesn't have a lisp.

by Anonymousreply 101December 30, 2017 11:36 PM

Do any of them have size meat. They all lose their looks by 30, hope they have some physical traits to keep their sex lives spicy. If Prince Edward is gay, does he have long-term lovers? How would one keep this secret?

by Anonymousreply 102December 30, 2017 11:37 PM

R11, the Earl of Carnivore?

by Anonymousreply 103December 30, 2017 11:42 PM

[quote] Thus, Edward is an exception. He unexpectedly expressed his desire to be an earl and for his children not to be a prince or princess or an HRH.

My understanding is (as someone expressed upthread) when Philip dies, Edward will inherit his father's title of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh.

Will his children become HRH then? I would assume James (who is now the Viscount Severn) will accede to his father's current title of the Earl of Wessex, but will he then be HRH the Earl of Wessex?

by Anonymousreply 104December 30, 2017 11:46 PM

Except he's not gay.

by Anonymousreply 105December 30, 2017 11:47 PM

What titles do they use now for nobility in same-sex marriages?

by Anonymousreply 106December 30, 2017 11:48 PM

I don't really think they are encouraged to be "out."

by Anonymousreply 107December 30, 2017 11:49 PM

There are royal titles and royal blood. For instance, by law Camilla will be queen when Charles becomes king. Charles and Camilla agreed she won't use the title. But she is still the queen consort, but just not using the title.

Just like Grace Allen is Mrs George Burns but didn't use the title, using Mrs Gracie Allen instead.

by Anonymousreply 108December 30, 2017 11:49 PM

I think Prince George will be as fat as Edward VII.

by Anonymousreply 109December 30, 2017 11:51 PM

[quote]But she is still the queen consort, but just not using the title.

Bwhahahahah! Oh my sides! You fell for that?

She'll be Queen.

by Anonymousreply 110December 30, 2017 11:53 PM

[quote] by law Camilla will be queen when Charles becomes king. Charles and Camilla agreed she won't use the title. But she is still the queen consort, but just not using the title.

I suspect they will revisit that decision at a more appropriate date.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111December 30, 2017 11:53 PM

Sophie comes across as a lovely woman in the few interviews I have seen of her. Why isn't she more embraced by the British people?

by Anonymousreply 112December 30, 2017 11:58 PM

R27, it's so weird how polarizing our sources are. My understanding is that, next to Her Majesty, The Earl and Countess of Wessex are the most easy going, laid back Royals with their servants.

by Anonymousreply 113December 30, 2017 11:58 PM

I adore Sophie, she works hard, and dresses well on most occasions.

by Anonymousreply 114December 31, 2017 12:03 AM

Here's Sophie having a royal outburst at a bodyguard outside a bridal shop, r112.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115December 31, 2017 12:18 AM

I was wondering who Prince George reminded me of....it's Spanky!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116December 31, 2017 12:22 AM

I feel bad for Edward. He didn't ask to be a prince.

by Anonymousreply 117December 31, 2017 12:23 AM

Who bows to whom?

Does Kate have to bow to anyone? Does she have to bow to Eugenie or the other one?

by Anonymousreply 118December 31, 2017 12:29 AM

I don't know much about him, but I love his island

by Anonymousreply 119December 31, 2017 1:08 AM

R118. For the ladies, it's a curtsy not a bow. And yes, when William is not present, Kate must curtsy to the blood princesses, Beatrice and Eugenie. As it should be.

by Anonymousreply 120December 31, 2017 2:59 AM

[quote]And yes, when William is not present, Kate must curtsy to the blood princesses, Beatrice and Eugenie.

So when William is present, she doesn't have to bow to them? And is it only at royal functions or every time. So Kate is lying on the couch watching the Kardashians and Bea & Eug come walking in does she have to get up off the couch and bow to them?

i don't think I'd like being a royal. Too many rules.

Meghan, girl, do you know what you're getting yourself into?

by Anonymousreply 121December 31, 2017 3:03 AM

Yes, r121, I do. I assure you there will be far less bowing and curtsying than expected.

by Anonymousreply 122December 31, 2017 3:07 AM

So Prince Edward was rumored to be in a relationship with recording artist and actor Michael Ball? Is that why Ball ended up with that really old girlfriend and getting fat? Because he could not be with his true love? Prince Edward was handsome in his youth.

by Anonymousreply 123December 31, 2017 3:09 AM

[quote] I wonder if the Queen disapproves of his flaming homosexuality.

I'm not reading the whole thread and it possibly has been mentioned already but I've understood that the Queen has many male servants that are gay. She's apparently good friends with them.

by Anonymousreply 124December 31, 2017 3:12 AM

R121. Only in public--not when Katie is privately watching the Kardashians. Waitey Katie has to curtsy to Beatrice and Eugenie when William is not present since they are blood princesses and and Katie is a commoner who married into royalty. However, when William and Katie are together, she becomes more royal via her husband, and then Katie does not have to curtsy to Bea and Eug--but only when William is present with Katie, who is only a duchess and York girls are princesses so they outrank her by their direct line royal blood.

by Anonymousreply 125December 31, 2017 3:18 AM

That’s the same person? That is just sad. I’m not the hottie I was 30 years ago, either, but you can tell it’s me. I just look older and haggard now.

He was adorable back then. Wow.

by Anonymousreply 126December 31, 2017 3:22 AM

So does that mean that the Princess Royal does not have to curtsey to anyone?

And who do Be a and Eug have to curtsey to? Anyone?

by Anonymousreply 127December 31, 2017 3:26 AM

[quote]However, when William and Katie are together, she becomes more royal via her husband, and then Katie does not have to curtsy to Bea and Eug

When William becomes King, will the same rules apply or does being consort have its privileges? Or does royal blood trump every situation?

by Anonymousreply 128December 31, 2017 3:27 AM

We need a full-time Curtsey-Advisor on Datalounge!

by Anonymousreply 129December 31, 2017 3:28 AM

Why about Camilla? Is she basically curtsy'ing to the corgis?

by Anonymousreply 130December 31, 2017 3:30 AM

r125, please pick up the nearest red Curtsy phone. Your party is waiting.

by Anonymousreply 131December 31, 2017 3:30 AM

So do all royal men get fugly the closer they reach 30?

by Anonymousreply 132December 31, 2017 3:31 AM

Truly amazing how all of the Windsor men went from hot in their 20s to fugly.

It's hard to believe that the photo at OP is the same guy.

And even Charles was good looking in his younger days as the photo at R53 indicates.

I don't know of many guys who have taken that hard a fall looks-wise. Least of all three brothers.

by Anonymousreply 133December 31, 2017 3:43 AM

R127. You're wearing me out. Bea and Eug curtsy only to the queen as the sovereign. Anne too. Camilla can't curtsy; she'd get stuck and couldn't get up and would eventually fall over. However, Kate must curtsy to Camilla. However, Anne, Beatrice, Eugenie and Princess Alexandra, the queen's cousin, outrank Camilla. When Kate becomes queen consort, she will not have to curtsy to princesses. Like membership in American Express, being consort has its privileges.

Oh, and the curtsy thing or the 'Order of Precedence' as it is called, must be done in public and in private, even when Bea and Eug walk in unexpectedly while Katie is laying around watching the Kardashians.

by Anonymousreply 134December 31, 2017 3:59 AM

[quote]So do all royal men get fugly the closer they reach 30?

R132. Pretty much except for maybe Anne's son, Peter Phillips. He hasn't quite hit the wall yet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135December 31, 2017 4:01 AM

Why did Princess Anne curtsey to King and Queen of Spain? Do British royals curtsey to other heads of state?

by Anonymousreply 136December 31, 2017 4:09 AM

Why isn't Charles referred to as "Crown Prince Charles" like royal heir apparents in other countries?

by Anonymousreply 137December 31, 2017 4:11 AM

They're all pretty much busted. Who will want to marry Bea and Eug?

by Anonymousreply 138December 31, 2017 4:12 AM

R136. Because royalty respects other royalty--and the queen of Spain is queen. Anne, despite her high royal rank, is a princess, which is down a rank from queen.

by Anonymousreply 139December 31, 2017 4:13 AM

R138. They will get married. It will happen.

by Anonymousreply 140December 31, 2017 4:13 AM

R111 , you left off Sparkle.We are MAD.

by Anonymousreply 141December 31, 2017 4:34 AM

Camilla curtseys to the horses.

by Anonymousreply 142December 31, 2017 4:38 AM

So basically it would seem like Sparkle will have to curtsey to basically everyone?

by Anonymousreply 143December 31, 2017 4:42 AM

Probably even have to curtsey to the queen's corgis poor sparkle.

by Anonymousreply 144December 31, 2017 4:44 AM

Good lord, what about Zara? This is getting messy. Does she have to curtsey to any and all too?

by Anonymousreply 145December 31, 2017 4:47 AM

Can we get back to any gossip about royal size meat and how Edward the former hottie has ever managed to keep a secret man lover.

by Anonymousreply 146December 31, 2017 4:52 AM

Who gives a shit about who has to curtsey to whom. Google it!

I want to know who Eddie's secret lover is and who is dicking down sophie!? Is she asexual?

by Anonymousreply 147December 31, 2017 4:52 AM

Zara pretty much has to curtsy to everyone except for Sparkle with the poo emoji on her head.

by Anonymousreply 148December 31, 2017 4:53 AM

[quote] I wonder if the Queen disapproves of his flaming homosexuality

The Queen has never disapproved of homosexuality. She has had gay friends and family members her entire life. Most of her male servants are gay.

[quote] Will his children become HRH then? I would assume James (who is now the Viscount Severn) will accede to his father's current title of the Earl of Wessex, but will he then be HRH the Earl of Wessex?

His children are already HRHs, as per the act made law in 1917. At the time of his marriage, Edward asked to be made Earl of Wessex. He's always had a fixation with Old England and Wessex is an ancient title that hadn't been used in centuries. He also requested that his children be styled as the children of an earl. This is also a throwback to history when the grandchildren of the monarch were not Princes or Princesses. The Queen reluctantly agreed to this, but by LAW Viscount Severn and Lady Louise are still a Prince and Princess with the rank of Royal Highness. Once they become 18 years old, they may well wish to be known by their royal titles, which is their right. However, it is more likely they will respect their father's wishes.

As part of agreeing to Edward's request, the Queen stipulated that he should become a Royal Duke taking his father's title Duke of Edinburgh when Philip dies. Royal Dukedoms take precedence over all other peers, including ordinary Dukes.

by Anonymousreply 149December 31, 2017 4:54 AM

[quote] Good lord, what about Zara? This is getting messy. Does she have to curtsey to any and all too?

Even though she does not have a title, she is still of royal blood. She always curtsys to the Queen and to Prince Philip. She does not curtsy to her cousins Beatrice and Eugenie because even though they are Princesses, they are all grandchildren of the monarch and of royal blood. Zara will curtsy to Prince Charles in public as a remark of respect, but doesn't do so in private. When Charles becomes King, she will curtsy to Charles and Camilla in public and in private. She will do the same to William and Kate when William becomes King. When Cate is not with William, technically she is required to Beatrice and Eugenie, because although of higher rank, Cate is not a Princess/Royal Duchess by blood, only by marriage. No one curtsys to Zara because although she has royal blood, she is not royal.

It gets complicated.

by Anonymousreply 150December 31, 2017 5:05 AM

[quote] So basically it would seem like Sparkle will have to curtsey to basically everyone?

Not when she is accompanying Harry. When she is with Harry, she will curtsy to the Queen, Prince Philip, and to Charles. She will also curtsy to Camilla if Charles is present, but if Camilla is alone, she is not required to curtsy to her. If she is with the rest of the family, but Harry is not present, she is required to curtsy to every Royal HIghness who is of the Blood Royal, but not to Royal Highnesses by marriage such as Cate and Princess Michael of Kent.

Also technically, if Sparkle is with Harry and Sophie Wessex is present without Edward, Sophie should curtsy to Sparkle. I don't see it happening though. Sophie's getting tired of being pushed to the bottom of the ladder and being required to curtsy to a new generation of climbers.

by Anonymousreply 151December 31, 2017 5:13 AM

We could call them the Curtseying Ponies, R129

by Anonymousreply 152December 31, 2017 5:45 AM

And the men simply have to bow their heads to the sovereign. Not all this bowing to lesser men. It's not fair. And the women risk falling or losing their balance while curtsying. It's not easy. However, bowing your head is nothing, no effort at all.

by Anonymousreply 153December 31, 2017 5:48 AM

r119

Wow it took that many responses for someone to state the obvious?

by Anonymousreply 154December 31, 2017 5:53 AM

[quote] but I've understood that the Queen has many male servants that are gay. She's apparently ̶g̶o̶o̶d̶ ̶f̶r̶i̶e̶n̶d̶s̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ tolerates them.

by Anonymousreply 155December 31, 2017 5:55 AM

r80

He asked to be an earl because he couldn't get anything more. So rather than be subject to certain rejection, he made it look like it was his idea.

Like now how Hillary says "I didn't want to be president anyway"

by Anonymousreply 156December 31, 2017 5:57 AM

No one ever bowed to me. I hated that

by Anonymousreply 157December 31, 2017 5:58 AM

It's hilarious reading R149's "authoritative" reply on the titles: he/she/it couldn't be more wrong.

[quote] by LAW Viscount Severn and Lady Louise are still a Prince and Princess with the rank of Royal Highness.

No. The Queen's prerogative of granting the latter, automatically cancelled out the former.

[quote] Once they become 18 years old, they may well wish to be known by their royal titles.

Most definitely not. The public would be seriously pissed off at such an assumption, but in any case Prince Charles or Prince William would never issue Letters Patent to permit it. The grandchildren of the sons of British princes are no longer accorded princely or HRH status -- whatever Wikipedia might like to claim. The debacle of Beatrice & Eugene saw to that.

By Letters Patent Edward, and his son, in turn WILL inherit the Dukedom of Edinburgh in a few years. That is all that is going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 158December 31, 2017 6:29 AM

[quote]The grandchildren of the sons of British princes are no longer accorded princely or HRH status -- whatever Wikipedia might like to claim. The debacle of Beatrice & Eugene saw to that.

What debacle? There's no debacle about Beatrice and Eugenie.

by Anonymousreply 159December 31, 2017 8:07 AM

I guess if being considered a pair of dumb fucking lazy twats by 99.9% of the British population, and being sent up mercilessly as such in common culture, isn't a debacle, yeah fine.

by Anonymousreply 160December 31, 2017 8:30 AM

The useless pair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161December 31, 2017 8:36 AM

R161, Lol!

by Anonymousreply 162December 31, 2017 8:43 AM

What about Prince Edward his wife Sophie and their IVF children -- and Michael Ball????? I must know!

by Anonymousreply 163December 31, 2017 11:48 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164December 31, 2017 11:55 AM

If I were Beatrice or Eugenia I would walk in an out of the room when Kate was on the couch watching the Kardashians making her get up and curtsey to me repeatedly. For shits and giggles. "Oops, sorry, here I am again."

by Anonymousreply 165December 31, 2017 12:01 PM

Harry Vs Kate Vs Bea Vs Eugenie...who is the laziest?

by Anonymousreply 166December 31, 2017 12:02 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167December 31, 2017 12:11 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168December 31, 2017 12:14 PM

Off the top of my head, no I can't think of anything "disagreeable", r168.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169December 31, 2017 12:25 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170December 31, 2017 12:28 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171December 31, 2017 12:30 PM

While order of precedence exists, as a matter of practicality, no British royals bow/curtsy to anyone but the sovereign and their spouse (the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh), in public or private.

Kate does not curtsy to Beatrice or Eugenie. It would be cumbersome and time consuming.

by Anonymousreply 172December 31, 2017 1:29 PM

[quote] by LAW Viscount Severn and Lady Louise are still a Prince and Princess with the rank of Royal Highness.

[quote] No. The Queen's prerogative of granting the latter, automatically cancelled out the former.

No, he was correct:

[quote] Louise is styled as "Lady Louise Windsor", although letters patent issued in 1917 (and still remaining in force today) assign a princely status and the style of Royal Highness to all male-line grandchildren of a monarch. Therefore, all else being equal, Louise would have been styled as Her Royal Highness Princess Louise of Wessex. However, when her parents married, the Queen, via a Buckingham Palace press release, announced that their children would be styled as the children of an earl, rather than as princes or princesses. Thus, court communications refer to her as Lady Louise Windsor.

Unless the law changes, she legally retains HRH status. But the queen has let it be known she will be styled "the Lady Louise Windsor," and so that it what she is addressed as, especially by the court communications. But legally she is HRH Princess louise of Wessex.

This is just like Camilla. Legally she is the wife of the Princess of Wales, so before the law she is HRH Camilla, the Princess of Wales, and that will remain in effect legally unless legislation is passed by Parliament to change it. But the queen has let it be known (according to Charles and Camila's wishes) that Camilla be styled "HRH Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall" and nothing more.

All titles theoretically flow from the sovereign while she/he is alive, but the second she dies Louise will be HRH the Princess Louise of Wessex (probably of Edinburgh by that time) and Camilla will become HM the Queen, unless Charles keeps the appellations (which he very well might do in Louise's case) or Parliament passes a law to the contrary.

So it's a weird situation. Legally the Duchess of Windsor was HRH Wallis, the Duchess of Windsor, because she was the wife of HRH the Duke of Windsor; but again, all titles flow from the sovereign, and both George VI and then Elizabeth after her insisted she be known only as Her Grace the Duchess of Windsor to spite her, and so that's what she was always called (except in private, where friends and servants called her "Your Royal Highness" and curtsied to her).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173December 31, 2017 2:17 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174December 31, 2017 2:23 PM

I can hardly wait for Charles to change Mountbatten Windsor back to Windsor or preferably Saxe-Coburg and Gotha

by Anonymousreply 175December 31, 2017 2:45 PM

r14, you're on the wrong thread.

by Anonymousreply 176December 31, 2017 2:50 PM

Sorry: I meant r174

by Anonymousreply 177December 31, 2017 2:51 PM

He’s had a bit of bum fun, that one.

by Anonymousreply 178December 31, 2017 2:56 PM

Bit his trousers are divoone, R177.

by Anonymousreply 179December 31, 2017 2:57 PM

How can Camilla become HM The Queen (after ER'S death), r173?

Prince Philip as husband of the Queen is titled Prince and Duke plus a zillion other subsidiary titles. But Philip is not a King.

Where do you get this information?

by Anonymousreply 180December 31, 2017 3:14 PM

That's the way it works, R180. The husband of a reigning Queen is not King. The wife of a King is Queen.

by Anonymousreply 181December 31, 2017 3:20 PM

Information Links, r181.

by Anonymousreply 182December 31, 2017 3:24 PM

[quote] Where do you get this information?

Here:

[quote] Although legally she is Princess of Wales, Camilla has adopted the feminine form of her husband's highest-ranking subsidiary title, Duke of Cornwall, because the title Princess of Wales became strongly associated with the previous holder of that title, Diana. [bold]She will legally become queen consort, in accordance with English common law, if Charles becomes king.[/bold] Clarence House stated on the occasion of their wedding in 2005 that Camilla would adopt the style of Princess Consort, but there is no legal or historical precedent for such a title.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183December 31, 2017 3:27 PM

You do all realize that "curtsying" today does not mean the gathering up of voluminous skirts and the crossing of ankles in a deep bow.....don't you?

There's a not very funny I Love Lucy scene of Nancy Kulp as a cockney chamber maid teaching Lucy and Ethel the old-fashioned way to curtsy if they should happen to encounter QEII.

by Anonymousreply 184December 31, 2017 3:37 PM

R180, how did you think Queen Elizabeth (the Queen Mother) got the title of Queen and the style “Your Majesty”, if not by marriage to George VI? Women absorb everything from their husbands. Husbands absorb nothing from their wives. For all male consorts, titles must be manually given. Victoria had to create for (already a German Prince) Albert the British title “Prince Consort”.

I also think Charles will renege on that earlier announcement. Camilla, though she has her faults, has really done a great job. And she really does deserve the appropriate title and style.

by Anonymousreply 185December 31, 2017 3:48 PM

Of course R184. I’m actually surprised the entirety of DL hasn’t watched all British royalty appearances and documentaries on YouTube...and doesn’t post frequently on the Royal Forums. I thought we all liked this stuff as much as I do 😅

by Anonymousreply 186December 31, 2017 3:52 PM

r62, I cannot believe that Lizbeth, the Queen, tramped around and got knocked up by two other men.

I just finish the Crown season 1 and yup Phillip is being a douche but her majesty is too proper to lift her skirt to others. Even the horse trainer she is obviously fond of.

by Anonymousreply 187December 31, 2017 3:59 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188December 31, 2017 4:28 PM

Peter Phillips married someone named Autumn and named his kids Savannah and Isla? Is there such a thing as royal white trash?

by Anonymousreply 189December 31, 2017 4:35 PM

I don't know. Ask Andrew and Fergie.

by Anonymousreply 190December 31, 2017 4:40 PM

When DL walks into a room, who curtsies?

by Anonymousreply 191December 31, 2017 4:43 PM

The thing is, though, once QE2 dies, if Charles does not announce that Camilla is styled "HRH the Princess Consort," there's nothing anyone can do about it. She will be Queen and that will be that.

by Anonymousreply 192December 31, 2017 4:46 PM

A proper curtsy does involve movement. Kate has mastered it. Meghan has lots of practicing to do.

by Anonymousreply 193December 31, 2017 4:48 PM

Meghan is too busy practicing "other things", r193.

by Anonymousreply 194December 31, 2017 4:49 PM

The public would not stand for that horse faced Camilla to have the title of "Princess of Wales" which after Diana, would be a joke. That is why she doesn't have it, just like she won't have the title of "Queen"

by Anonymousreply 195December 31, 2017 4:57 PM

When was the last time all the royals descended from the queen were in one big MGM type group picture?

by Anonymousreply 196December 31, 2017 4:57 PM

R195, most of the British public really doesn’t give a shit.

by Anonymousreply 197December 31, 2017 5:01 PM

When Liz pops her clogs, you can bet your bottom dollar that Chuck will bestow the title of Queen on his human tampon. There is no doubt whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 198December 31, 2017 5:03 PM

R198, I want you to author my Christmas cards next year.

by Anonymousreply 199December 31, 2017 5:07 PM

R193, R194, sucking Harry's cock involves enough movement for the future Duchess of Sucksex.

by Anonymousreply 200December 31, 2017 5:27 PM

[quote] The public would not stand for that horse faced Camilla to have the title of "Princess of Wales" which after Diana, would be a joke. That is why she doesn't have it, just like she won't have the title of "Queen"

Mary!!!

Diana's death was 20 years ago, and Camilla's marriage to Charles was 12 years ago. Times have changed, and so have British attitudes towards Camilla.

by Anonymousreply 201December 31, 2017 5:33 PM

Have we discussed how the last Earl of Wessex lost England to the Normans?

by Anonymousreply 202December 31, 2017 5:47 PM

Let him do another Grand Knockout Tournament. There can be no doubt it will be absolutely brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 203December 31, 2017 5:57 PM

R198, fitting end to this thread.

by Anonymousreply 204December 31, 2017 8:59 PM

Camilla is a hideous, vile creature. She will NEVER be Queen!

by Anonymousreply 205December 31, 2017 9:03 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206December 31, 2017 9:08 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207December 31, 2017 9:10 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208December 31, 2017 9:12 PM

[quote]The public would not stand for that horse faced Camilla to have the title of "Princess of Wales" which after Diana, would be a joke. That is why she doesn't have it, just like she won't have the title of "Queen"

The 'public' sentiment is not relevant whatsoever.

Camilla will be Queen, as she deservedly should be.

It was Diana that should never have ascended to that status considering her demeanour, and tragedy brought that to bear in the end.

by Anonymousreply 209December 31, 2017 9:46 PM

Diana was a hot mess....before that term was created.

by Anonymousreply 210December 31, 2017 10:26 PM

Oh look, its R209, one of the deranged anti Diana loons. Diana may be gone, but will never be forgotten! Whereas nobody gives a shit about Camilla now or when that she croaks!

by Anonymousreply 211January 1, 2018 12:20 AM

r182, A monarch cannot be allowed to be out-ranked.

Thus, if the monarch is male, he naturally has the highest rank as King, and his wife can be called Queen, for that title always ranks below King.

If the monarch is female, she perforce has the title Queen. However, since "King," as with a deck of cards, will always be a higher rank than "Queen," the Queen Monarch's husband cannot be named King, as he is not allowed to out-rank her, so must take the title of "Prince."

Queen Victoria, Prince Albert. Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Philip.

by Anonymousreply 212January 1, 2018 11:12 PM

r198, You are confused. It was Charles who wished to be the tampon.

by Anonymousreply 213January 1, 2018 11:13 PM

Why was that tampon stuff made public?

by Anonymousreply 214January 1, 2018 11:15 PM

[quote] Camilla will be Queen, as she deservedly should be.

Yes indeed. Slutty Diana lost this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215January 1, 2018 11:29 PM

[quote]Kate does not curtsy to Beatrice or Eugenie. It would be cumbersome and time consuming.

No-one in the entire fucking British Isles, provided the are of sane mind, would kowtow to the Yorks -- or even have anything to do with them. Jesus: there's some ridiculous fraus on this thread.

William of Gloucester: swung both ways.

by Anonymousreply 216January 2, 2018 9:49 AM

Please review this chart to better understand the curtsey protocol that the Duchess of Cambridge must follow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217January 2, 2018 11:22 AM

R217, I don’t think you understood my post that R216 referenced. I 100% understand that the protocol exists, but I really don’t think they do it practically.

Please show me one single video or photo of any British Royal bowing/curtsying to anyone but the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh, and of course previous soverigns and spouses.

by Anonymousreply 218January 2, 2018 4:46 PM

They should cut out the curtsies. How humiliating.

by Anonymousreply 219January 2, 2018 4:49 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220January 2, 2018 7:05 PM

The future King George is only 1/4 "royal" - and has a big chunk of Spanky.

by Anonymousreply 221January 2, 2018 7:09 PM

The public perception of Camilla has changed a lot, nobody really dislikes her anymore and she's done a good job since marrying into the family. It's obvious they should've been allowed to marry back in the 70s but for reasons I can't remember they weren't.

by Anonymousreply 222January 2, 2018 8:36 PM

I guess I didn't fully appreciate (until seeing The Crown and a Netflix docuseries on the house of Windsor) how interrelated all of the European royal families really were.

I don't recall ever being taught in school that Tzar Nicholas and the King of England were cousins!

by Anonymousreply 223January 2, 2018 8:41 PM

What happens if someone refuses to bow? Do they get exiled to Australia?

by Anonymousreply 224January 2, 2018 9:56 PM

The illusion is shattered, everyone faints and we no longer have to pay rent.

by Anonymousreply 225January 2, 2018 9:57 PM

[quote]It's obvious they should've been allowed to marry back in the 70s but for reasons I can't remember they weren't.

Because the Queen is a nasty bitch hellbent on ruining people's lives.

by Anonymousreply 226January 2, 2018 9:58 PM

R223, considering George V offered and then withdrew his maternal first cousin the Tsar and his paternal first cousin the Tsarina asylum from the commies, the rship was probably better forgotten.

Forgive my phrasing.

by Anonymousreply 227January 2, 2018 10:30 PM

So the Tsar and the Tsarina were first cousins? That is just fucking nasty.

by Anonymousreply 228January 3, 2018 1:31 AM

r214, A tabloid paid big money for the phone taps transcripts, how else do you think?

by Anonymousreply 229January 3, 2018 1:51 AM

[quote]Supposedly one of the Queen's kids is not Philip's.

Yes, I can just see Queen Elizabeth fucking around behind her husband's back. I mean, everything about this woman screams the exact opposite of this behaviour, but more power to those who are deluded enough to believe this nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 230January 3, 2018 1:52 AM

The claims made in the Nigel Dempster book Behind Palace doors is not as I recall that Prince Philip isn't the father of Edward and Andrew but that the reason for there being a big 10 year gap between Princess Annes birth and Prince Andrews is that because of his womanising ways he was banished from the bedroom for nearly 10 years and their relationship was a bit off to say the least and things cooled between them .When they made up and she forgave him, I forget why that happened or what prompted her heart to thaw , Prince Andrew was then conceived .

by Anonymousreply 231January 3, 2018 1:59 AM

I remember a thread about Prince Andrew and a couple of candidates for his real father. There was a guy who had a big wide face like he has.

by Anonymousreply 232January 3, 2018 2:08 AM

Just an FYI. Although it is rare, a Queen can outrank her King.

As Mary, Queen of Scots outranked her husband King Henry (Stuart).

When the Queen is the ruler, the Queen Regnant. And the King is the spouse, the King Consort.

Queen Victoria wished to have Albert crowned as King Consort but the government would not allow it as the illusion of power by giving him the title of King was too much...

A Queen Regnant can also transfer her birth right to rule the nation to her husband by awarding him the Crown Matrimonial along with the title King.

Basically they are co-equal rulers in every respect and HE inherits the crown after he kills he...she suddenly dies without an heir.

Another reason governments don't like King Consorts.

by Anonymousreply 233January 3, 2018 2:18 AM

No r228, although they were somewhat related and shared some ancestors.

Nicholas II and George V were first cousins through their mothers being sisters- originally Danish princesses.

George V, through his father, was also a first cousin of both Tsarina Alexandra AND the last Kaiser of Germany, Wilhelm II. These three cousins were all grandchildren of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert

It wasn't confirmed until the 1990s that George V himself had vetoed Britain's planned rescue of the Tsar and Tsarina, his two first cousins. At the time, the back down was blamed on the UK govt not wanting the presence of a known tyrant (the Tsar had been cruel enough to run pogroms against jews and other minorities right up until WWI) on British soil and possibly stir a British revolution. At the time of the backdown, it appears it had not occurred to George V that the Russian Royal Family's lives were in danger. George was more worried about losing his own throne by being linked to Nicholas, an autocrat. I don't understand why the Romanovs couldn't have been kept elsewhere in the British Empire for safekeeping, say India?

by Anonymousreply 234January 3, 2018 10:38 AM

Would Lady Mary Crawley, daughter of the Earl of Grantham, be required to curtsy to her younger sister, Lady Edith, Marchioness of Hexum?

by Anonymousreply 235January 3, 2018 11:29 AM

Viscount Severn and Lady Louise are entitled to the HRH however the wishes of the parents was that they would be styled as children of an earl. The HRH was not specifically abolished for them by LP. As with the guidelines set by George V, they are grandchildren in the male line of the sovereign and thus entitled to HRH and Prince/Princess. Once Edward gets the Ducal title I don’t see anythjng changing with that because Charles wants a smaller royal family. James (Viscount Severn) will probably assume his father’s second highest title as is the custom for oldest sons of peers.

by Anonymousreply 236January 3, 2018 12:01 PM

[R234] The Romanovs also made their own rescue more difficult. They refused any plan that separated them and insisted on traveling all together at all times during any rescue scenario.

And while they were being guarded by young men who were sympathetic to them (before being switched out by Lenin's goons) they could have bribed them with their enormous store of hidden jewels....and possibly escaped then.

But the truth is that Nicholas and Alexandra had no clue of the danger they were in. Only possibly one daughter had a sense of the reality...

And...George V learned his lesson. When his relative Princess Alice of Greece and Denmark (daughter of Victoria of Battenberg) called out to him for help for her family on Greece after her husband (Prince Andrew) was exiled and threatened w/execution...George immediately sent a ship to rescue them all. Of course, this is how Prince Philip left Greece as a small child.

by Anonymousreply 237January 3, 2018 1:46 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238January 3, 2018 1:59 PM

The Princess Anne curtsey at r220 is Legend. Showing all bitches how it's done.

by Anonymousreply 239January 3, 2018 3:14 PM

Why is everyone so reluctant to discuss Prince Edward's presumed homosexuality. There must be scurrilous gossip about his same-sex couplings. I would rather hear that than the rules about succession, titles and curtseying.

by Anonymousreply 240January 3, 2018 3:19 PM

[quote]It's obvious they should've been allowed to marry back in the 70s but for reasons I can't remember they weren't.

Because she wasn't 'pure.' In fact, she was 'fast.' Meaning, she banged like a shit-house door in a gale. No fairy tale material there, so central casting came up with Diana. And the rest was tragedy.

by Anonymousreply 241January 3, 2018 3:41 PM

R240

From my memory - those rumors were long ago, but I'm not caught up on current events.

They started when Edward walked out on basic training after college. It was a BIG DEAL. Cover of People magazine. All about what a whimp he was and how mad his military war hero dad Philip was at him...

And all the Brit media was up in arms because what does a royal prince do if they aren't in the military? And now he can't wear a uniform during parades!

So then Edward chose acting...which people applauded for his individuality. But there were articles about rumors.

And then the real showstopper. Somebody wrote a piece about Edward's "touching friendship" (quotes included) with some male acting person.

Edward got furious and publicly announced that NO he wasn't gay. He was in his 20's and didn't have a serious gf at the time.

Anyways...he did that stupid game show and some good documentaries. Married Sophie who the queen adores but she's hard on the staff apparently.

Haven't heard anything since.

by Anonymousreply 242January 3, 2018 3:47 PM

[quote] Apart from a deranged, possibly drunk Princess Anne dropping to the floor for commoner "I had an abortion" Queen Letizia,

You don't seem to get this. She is no longer a commoner; she is now Her Majesty, the Queen of Spain. She outranks Anne, no matter how superior Anne's background is.

If you marry a royal, you are royal. It does not matter even if you were born illegitimate. Marriage confers royalty absolutely. The end.

by Anonymousreply 243January 3, 2018 3:54 PM

Bullshit, always have been rumors Edward is gay. I think some of you look back on their younger selves and think they were good looking because they just looked a lot better young and you have found the occasional pic where they look good. I am 55 and grew up with all this. Only Andrew was ever considered good looking and there were rumors in the tabs back then he wasn't Phillips. He was always the Queens favorite which is why he was allowed to marry Fergie, who had lived with a much older man. She was considered to be a breath of fresh air and to modernize the family where women were concerned after all the press that they had checked to make sure Diana was a virgin. People laughed at how unattractive Charles was and why this 19 year old would want to marry him if it wasn't for him being a future king. It was aldo laughed that he had to marry someone that ypung to find a virgin. Dont know if she really was a virgin, but that was definitely part of the fairy tale at the time. No one thought Edward was good looking.

by Anonymousreply 244January 3, 2018 4:02 PM

R243

Agreed. Letizia is the Queen Consort of a smaller realm and a smoking hot King who adores her. Anne is the Princess Royal of the most prestigious royal house in the world and she has raised 2 great kids.

Both women work incredibly hard for their country and have earned the respect of their people.

by Anonymousreply 245January 3, 2018 4:03 PM

Thanks for that link, R161.

I'll bet Princess Anne has seen this and found it hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 246January 3, 2018 4:48 PM

A girlfriend of a good friend was at Cambridge university at the same time as Edward. Apparently he was totally clueless. He even brought a valet with him to unpack his stuff. He didn't know how to do anything. He was aloof too.

by Anonymousreply 247January 3, 2018 5:29 PM

As much of a hot mess as Princess Margaret was, her son and daughter turned out to be very well-adjusted, scandal-free adults. So Margaret does deserve some credit for something.

by Anonymousreply 248January 3, 2018 5:31 PM

[QUOTE] As much of a hot mess as Princess Margaret was, her son and daughter turned out to be very well-adjusted, scandal-free adults.

Just leaving this here..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249January 3, 2018 6:15 PM

[R248] Yes apparently the Queen has always been very close right up to this day and very fond of Margarets daughter her niece Sarah Chatto who I believe at one point was an actress?

by Anonymousreply 250January 3, 2018 6:28 PM

Lady Sarah Chatto seems really sweet. They did an interview where they showed her old home movies of her mother and aunt and she was visibly moved.

by Anonymousreply 251January 3, 2018 7:18 PM

If Zara is of royal blood, than so is Peter Phillips because they are brother and sister.

by Anonymousreply 252January 3, 2018 8:24 PM

r249 that's not exactly a scandal, as not tape exists, and it's all secondhand.

by Anonymousreply 253January 3, 2018 8:36 PM

Queen Letizia is in trouble with the Spanish people for her unabashed support for a buddie accused of bank/financial corruption. The Spanish royal family can't seem to keep away from corruption. Maybe Let's sister in law, Princess Cristina, showed her the ropes (Cristina was very lucky to get aquitted). The Spanish royal family stinks of corruption, still - despite the polished and polite front that the King and his (previously married) Queen present.

And Juan Carlos should have kept his mouth shut but he made a very political statement against the Catalonians trying to gain independence. Que malo!

"Now, however, that ambition has been gravely tarnished by the publication of a series of text messages between Letizia, the king, and the boss of a troubled national bank accused of corruption."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254January 3, 2018 9:48 PM

Are Latin Americans obsessed with the Spanish Royal Family like Americans are obsessed with the British Royal Family?

by Anonymousreply 255January 3, 2018 9:56 PM

Most Latin American countries had to wage war with Spain to gain their freedom. I lived in South America and never once heard anyone talking about the Spanish royal family.

by Anonymousreply 256January 3, 2018 10:01 PM

r256 the US waged two wars with Britain yet we love the British Royal Family.

by Anonymousreply 257January 3, 2018 10:05 PM

r254 has smegma cheese!

by Anonymousreply 258January 3, 2018 11:28 PM

[quote]A girlfriend of a good friend was at Cambridge university at the same time as Edward. Apparently he was totally clueless.

That doesn't surprise me. He's the baby of the family and I bet being Royal, he had someone doing everything for him. In the young years, when he was supposed to be learning to make his bed and brush his teeth, he had a nanny and a maid doing all of that.

by Anonymousreply 259January 3, 2018 11:42 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260January 3, 2018 11:51 PM

There was a rumor many years ago, that when he was working at Really Useful Group, they called him Mavis behind his back.

by Anonymousreply 261January 3, 2018 11:59 PM

I thought it was Doris, r261.

by Anonymousreply 262January 4, 2018 12:12 AM

My husband is from Mexico and couldn’t name a single member of the Spanish royal family except former king Juan Carlos. I don’t think anyone cares outside Spain except for other royal families.

by Anonymousreply 263January 4, 2018 1:21 AM

Classic Kids in the Hall sketch with Scott Thompson as the Queen and Mark McKinney as an obviously gay Edward.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264January 4, 2018 1:24 AM

Edward did not ask for any title, He was made an Earl because he will inherit his father's Dukedom. It is very simple.

by Anonymousreply 265January 4, 2018 2:08 AM

Then you know nothing leaned from American tv R96, Anne was an oven, baking out a commoner's sperm. No royalty there, no title given by The Queen by the couple's choice.

by Anonymousreply 266January 4, 2018 2:13 AM

R5 has it right. Why don't people understand that.

by Anonymousreply 267January 4, 2018 2:14 AM

[quote]Agreed. Letizia is the Queen Consort of a smaller realm and a smoking hot King who adores her. Anne is the Princess Royal of the most prestigious royal house in the world and she has raised 2 great kids.

Spain, or Bourbons, are in no way considered a smaller realm. In fact many hold them in higher regard and their rivalry with the British goes back several centuries to King Henry VIII and King Felipe II sending the Armada to try and overthrow Queen Elizabeth I.

But most here are swayed by Anglo-Saxon media bias, so the PR makes it seem like they’re larger. But there are four or five top tier royal houses in the world right now - British, Spanish, Japanese, Thai and, possibly, the Saudis.

by Anonymousreply 268January 4, 2018 2:16 AM

Regarding Prince Edward's Title.

All royal children are offered peerages when they are married. This allows their line of descendants to be ennobled and titled. The Sons are offered dukedoms. Daughters are offered eardoms for their husbands.

Not all peerages are accepted by the children, but most are.

Antony Armstrong-Jones accepted the Earldom of Snowden when marrying Princess Margaret. Tony was the 1st Earl of Snowdon, and now their first-born son David is the 2nd Earl of Snowden. David's first-born son will be the 3rd. This Earldom is the line of Princess Margaret of United Kingdom...as long as it lasts.

Princess Anne rejected an Earldom for her marriage. She will have no line of nobility.

Prince Andrew was given the Dukedom of York. But he only had daughters. So his line will end with his death and the title 'Duke of York' will become available again.

Prince Edward was given the peerage the Earl of Wessex (for now). He will then also inherit the Duke of Edinburgh title/peerage on the death of his father. An unusual situation to be sure.

by Anonymousreply 269January 4, 2018 5:37 AM

Thnx r237...which daughter?

by Anonymousreply 270January 4, 2018 8:57 AM

[quote]Lady Sarah Chatto seems really sweet.

I remember when she was in Diana’s wedding!

by Anonymousreply 271January 4, 2018 12:17 PM

R270 Olga. She seemed to be the one who was most aware of the outside world and their opinion of the Romanovs. She was visibly depressed and quiet even tearful during their time in Ekaterinburg.

by Anonymousreply 272January 4, 2018 1:04 PM

I was just thinking how odd and stupid it is to curtesy for anyone royal. What the hell makes them better than me that I have to show deference? This crap should be abolished.

by Anonymousreply 273January 4, 2018 1:18 PM

Lady Sarah Chatto, Princess Margaret's daughter, was never an actress. She was and is an artist. She paints.

by Anonymousreply 274January 4, 2018 2:06 PM

What's wrong with Edward's teeth in OPs photo??? Are they cold?

Because they seem to be wearing a brown coat!

by Anonymousreply 275January 4, 2018 5:04 PM

[R274] I may be mistaken but I seem to recall a controversy in the Daily Mail and Express etc years ago because Princess Margaret's daughter was appearing in a theatre show naked?

by Anonymousreply 276January 4, 2018 6:26 PM

[quote] There was a rumor many years ago, that when he was working at Really Useful Group, they called him Mavis behind his back.

Mavis??!! That's funny. More, please...

by Anonymousreply 277January 5, 2018 12:19 AM

[R277] There was back in the 1980s a very famous well known soap character called Mavis Riley in Coronation Street. She was quite a comical camp character whose signature phrase was "Oh I don't really know" which was quite pantomime and camp in its delivery! I suspect Mavis nickname for Prince Edward was a pun and play on that!

by Anonymousreply 278January 5, 2018 12:56 AM

The Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie are ahead of him in succession. Imagine that. How humiliating really.

by Anonymousreply 279January 5, 2018 1:02 AM

R279 how is it humiliating? It’s simply a product of birth, not of anything any of them did. The whole crap re: royalty is ridiculous. How is any of them better than anyone else to the point we have to curtesy?

by Anonymousreply 280January 5, 2018 1:09 AM

Is he the one that was in a can?

by Anonymousreply 281January 5, 2018 1:19 AM

A can? [R281]?

by Anonymousreply 282January 5, 2018 4:34 AM

No. That was Prince Albert

by Anonymousreply 283January 5, 2018 2:05 PM

Thanks r278. The palace has done an excellent job of erasing all traces of the tabloid gossip about Edward's sexuality from the internet.

by Anonymousreply 284January 5, 2018 3:15 PM

Did any of the sons get the teutonic massive Glücksburg schlong?

by Anonymousreply 285January 5, 2018 4:18 PM

Do you precious people have a life?!

by Anonymousreply 286January 5, 2018 9:01 PM

Lol!

by Anonymousreply 287January 8, 2018 5:32 AM

What does one get with a dukedom as opposed to an earldom?

by Anonymousreply 288January 8, 2018 5:45 AM

Windsor schlongs arent anythjng special. There were nudes of both Andrew and Charles floating around and they’re both hung like peanuts. Maybe they’re “growers” but they sure aren’t “show-ers” from what I could see.

by Anonymousreply 289January 8, 2018 3:53 PM

They're so ugly...they seem to have inherited their parents' worst features. Especially Charles and Anne.

by Anonymousreply 290January 8, 2018 8:02 PM

[quote]Windsor schlongs arent anythjng special.

There's that picture of William peeing in a field. It seemed like he had a big head on his.

by Anonymousreply 291January 8, 2018 8:27 PM

Hopefully, the cancer rumors are true about Camilla and that bitch will soon be 6 feet under and quickly forgotten, since nobody gives a shit about her now!

by Anonymousreply 292January 9, 2018 3:00 AM

r268 that rat race ended when they restored the Spanish monarchy. The Spanish King doesn't even get a coronation, just a government proclamation. While the British and other Royal Houses are crowned by a church leader, the Spanish King has to go to his Prime Minister for his ritual. Technically he is never crowned. As someone that enjoys living in a Democracy, I love the modern take of the Spanish Constitutional-Monarchy, but let's not pretend that the Bourbons have the same level of influence in their realm as the British in theirs.

They are also one of the poorest courts, and can't even keep their Prince and Princess from the reach of their country's legal system.

Add to the fact that family members atomically get bumped out of the Royal Family whenever the King has a new child, it's not very mystifying. It all feels like a cheap imitation held up by one gorgeous family, but that Court is a mess that does not even come close to rivaling the BRF.

The two Queens have arguments in public, where is the deferance and the order?

by Anonymousreply 293October 14, 2019 9:51 PM

So bloody sick of Royal-obsessed trolls. So glad of all the red tags!

by Anonymousreply 294October 14, 2019 9:57 PM

This prince is my favorite in the BRF.

by Anonymousreply 295October 14, 2019 10:01 PM

When it's clear so many are interested, [R294]? Fuckin celebrate diversity or shut yer pie hole. There's enough negative judgement wafting through the atmoss already.

by Anonymousreply 296October 14, 2019 10:35 PM

R296 As a proud Brit, I respect them as heads of state, but that's all. Living here and reading DL, I find most of the interest and adulation to be deranged and unctuous. At the same time, I find the Sparkle haters to be insufferable. There seems to be an unhealthy fixation on them by too many Americans here. Surely there's a Royal forum they could all skedaddle to.

by Anonymousreply 297October 15, 2019 1:42 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!