Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Unforgettable Movie Endings

I'll never be able to erase the image of Warren Beatty's character giving Faye Dunaway's that last knowing glance the minute he realizes they've been set up. The overkill of their execution brings about an unmistakable and abrupt end to the happy- go-lucky way they lived their lives on the run.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257June 30, 2021 1:08 PM

"Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

"As you wish."

Do I really need to list the movie titles?

by Anonymousreply 1September 30, 2017 11:59 PM

R1, please provide a clip.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 1, 2017 12:03 AM

"Is this heaven?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 1, 2017 12:07 AM

"They's someone coming up the drive." "Must be lost."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 1, 2017 12:08 AM

"Sam?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 1, 2017 12:10 AM

Schindler's Jews today

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 1, 2017 12:12 AM

The ending to the original "Planet of the Apes."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 1, 2017 12:14 AM

I like the endings of both DELIVERANCE and CARRIE, where a dead hand emerges from the lake/pile of rocks, and the person having the nightmare wakes up in horror.

by Anonymousreply 8October 1, 2017 12:14 AM

THIS:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 1, 2017 12:15 AM

As you wish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 1, 2017 12:16 AM

Psycho

The Usual Suspects

by Anonymousreply 11October 1, 2017 12:17 AM

Carrie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 1, 2017 12:18 AM

The last scene of "The Godfather". It was brilliant!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 1, 2017 12:20 AM

The Mist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 1, 2017 12:27 AM

In Bonnie and Clyde it is Faye Dunaway's look to Clyde that is specific. There's nothing knowing in Beatty's reaction shots. It looks as if the director grabbed what he could that conveyed any sort of emotion, but he mostly looks "duh".

by Anonymousreply 15October 1, 2017 12:28 AM

Carrie and the original Friday the 13th. Talk about seat jumpers.

Also, the original Halloween and Black Christmas. SO creepy knowing that the evil is still out there.

by Anonymousreply 16October 1, 2017 12:28 AM

Jean Seberg

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 1, 2017 12:29 AM

The ending of "And the Band Played On".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 1, 2017 12:30 AM

R15, watch it again. You've got the sequence all wrong.

by Anonymousreply 19October 1, 2017 12:34 AM

I've never quite gotten over the shock of the ending of UNBEARABLE LIGHTNESS OF BEING. I hadn't read the book, and when it happened it nailed me. I've never been able to watch the movie again (Mary! But that's the way it is.). And it's a great movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 1, 2017 12:37 AM

R9 I love that ending! Especially the whole lead up where you don't know if he has changed. Such a metaphoric movie. Reminds me of when you see an old friend and you try to pick up where you left off and they're totally different, cold, and you feel alone. Very disconcerting. The 70s imo had the best grasp of unpleasant or indescribable emotions comitted to celluloid.

Two other 70s films with great chilling endings are Escape from Alcatraz, when the dummy head falls- the music and frozen still are so creepy and Thieves Like Us, with the bus station, people climbing the stairs in slo-mo then fading out-so eerie, suggests the passage of time and the transitory nature of our lives, I'm guessing?

by Anonymousreply 21October 1, 2017 12:37 AM

R15 is an idiot trying to argue towards her preset conclusion. Being a crank doesn't excuse misstating what plainly appears in the film and what it means, especially in one of the most celebrated scenes in American film.

by Anonymousreply 22October 1, 2017 12:39 AM

The 400 Blows and also Nights of Cabiria are 2 more often mentioned, but nonetheless moving.

by Anonymousreply 23October 1, 2017 12:42 AM

The last scene of the original NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD. A sudden merger of horrible fantasy and the realism of 1960s American racism.

by Anonymousreply 24October 1, 2017 12:43 AM

Call me crazy but the ending of Mommie Dearest is spooky the way she says "did she"?

by Anonymousreply 25October 1, 2017 12:44 AM

The Vanishing. Movie and ending discussed here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 1, 2017 12:44 AM

R24 You are so right! That was so much more chilling than the whole movie. The montage effect so effective, almost like newspaper clippings, evoked the feeling the whole problem would be swept under the rug, nobody held accountable, and people dying in vain.

by Anonymousreply 27October 1, 2017 12:48 AM

Raider of the Lost Ark

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 1, 2017 12:50 AM

You would not believe how many guys of a certain age can't forget the ending of "Last American Virgin" which was a remake of the Israeli "Lemon Popsicles." The lead up is a new girl in town. Our hero falls in love with her but she only has eyes for the Big Man On Campus. He knocks her up and then dumps her. Hero helps her get an abortion. The ending is definitely a switch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 1, 2017 12:50 AM

Take note: it is not Carrie's GRAVE that Sue Snell is putting flowers on. See the "For Sale" sign? It's the vacant lot where Carrie's house once stood (she destroyed it, remember?). Whenever this scene is referenced it's mistakenly said that it's Carrie's grave. But is isn't. Which makes it even more terrifying.

by Anonymousreply 30October 1, 2017 12:50 AM

R26 another! Can't even watch that movie again, so disturbing, so sad.

by Anonymousreply 31October 1, 2017 12:51 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 1, 2017 12:52 AM

2 more 70s movies- The stepford wives and wicker man, chilling, disturbing, very sad.

by Anonymousreply 33October 1, 2017 12:56 AM

Jules's monologue at the end of Pulp Fiction.

by Anonymousreply 34October 1, 2017 12:59 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 1, 2017 1:00 AM

Ladybug ladybug. Wish I could think of movies with uplifting/ happy endings.

by Anonymousreply 36October 1, 2017 1:01 AM

R29 you forgot to mention that the big man on campus was his best friend.

by Anonymousreply 37October 1, 2017 1:01 AM

For a tearjerker? Nothing beats the ending of Running On Empty...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38October 1, 2017 1:04 AM

R37, and also that he was played by Hollywood pass around boy Steve Antin.

by Anonymousreply 39October 1, 2017 1:04 AM

The ending of working girl to me is weird. The music and pan out seem to suggest several interpretations. One is that she has gotten that far, but now she's just in a bigger more competitive bucket of crabs. The second is that her struggle is just another day/slice in the life of millions of Americans that goes on unnoticed. Or maybe just to bookend the opening shots of a ratrace. I just get a funny vibe, like she was recognized, but now shes anonymous again, swallowed up by this big office building, back to square one. The american dream is a continual climb?

by Anonymousreply 40October 1, 2017 1:10 AM

[Quote][R15] is an idiot trying to argue towards her preset conclusion. Being a crank doesn't excuse misstating what plainly appears in the film and what it means, especially in one of the most celebrated scenes in American film.

You're projecting. The fact that you resort to ad hominem attacks speaks to your level of mental development. It's interesting you immediately ascribed a female persona to my post. That's very telling and shows where you're really coming from. Why did you wander onto this thread and take a dump? Frustrated none of the nude fitness jocks are responding after you sent them your picture on Instagram? Anyway, no point in arguing with an imbecile who clearly is incapable of the basic understanding of the scene. Blocking you now...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 1, 2017 1:36 AM

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."

So true.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42October 1, 2017 2:09 AM

Shawshank Redemption

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43October 1, 2017 2:10 AM

Another 70s film: Looking for Mr. Goodbar

by Anonymousreply 44October 1, 2017 2:15 AM

Brokeback Mountain

Maurice

Philadelphia

by Anonymousreply 45October 1, 2017 2:20 AM

Hunger ----Michael Fassbender.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46October 1, 2017 2:22 AM

Kind Hearts and Coronets

by Anonymousreply 47October 1, 2017 2:24 AM

Dah-dah-dah-daddah-DAHHHHHH.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 1, 2017 2:30 AM

This is the one, bitches.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 1, 2017 2:31 AM

"Long live the new flesh" (Videodrome)

"That'll do, pig." (Babe)

"Good morning, and in case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and good night!" as he goes through a darkened doorway into the unknown (The Truman Show)

"They're probably watching me. Well, let them. Let them see what kind of a person I am. I'm not even gonna swat that fly. I hope they are watching. They'll see. They'll see and they'll know, and they'll say, 'Why, she wouldn't even harm a fly.'" (Psycho)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50October 1, 2017 2:35 AM

The Blair Witch Project. That screaming, Mike facing the corner and then the camera gets knocked down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51October 1, 2017 2:37 AM

Thelma and Louise.

by Anonymousreply 52October 1, 2017 2:38 AM

The Usual Suspects. "And like that... he was gone."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53October 1, 2017 2:38 AM

Here are some movies that had endings that I found unforgettable. They're quite a mixed lot:

Bonnie and Clyde

Some Like It Hot

I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang

A Star Is Born (Judy Garland version)

Gone With The Wind

The Producers (original)

It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

The Godfather

Cabaret

American Grafitti

Hamburger Hill

The Boys In Company C

The Russians Are Coming, the Russians Are Coming!

Mary and Max

Gone With The Wind

Stalag 17

It's A Wonderful Life

Sunset Boulevard

Psycho

Halloween (original)

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (original)

Au Revoir, Les Enfants

Aimee and Jaguar

Planet of the Apes (original)

Deliverance

Dr. Strangelove

2001: A Space Odessey

Touch of Evil

Casablanca

Shane

Fight Club

Chinatown

The Usual Suspects

The Graduate

The 400 Blows

Seven

The Thing (John Carpenter version)

The Wild Bunch

by Anonymousreply 54October 1, 2017 2:42 AM

Memento

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55October 1, 2017 2:48 AM

Barbara Jean's final performance and assassination at the end of Nashville.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56October 1, 2017 2:49 AM

The final scene in Moonlight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57October 1, 2017 2:50 AM

"I was cured all right!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58October 1, 2017 2:50 AM

Julie Christie rotating the opium pipe in her fingers in "McCabe & Mrs. Miller."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59October 1, 2017 2:52 AM

Se7en

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60October 1, 2017 2:52 AM

Selma's execution in "Dancer in the Dark."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61October 1, 2017 2:53 AM

"I get to live the rest of my life like a schnook."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62October 1, 2017 2:55 AM

"On the Beach" with Gregory Peck. It's like a sword through your heart.

by Anonymousreply 63October 1, 2017 2:57 AM

Bonnie and Clyde had an impressive ending.

by Anonymousreply 64October 1, 2017 3:00 AM

Another vote for The Colour Purple, The Usual Suspects.

Nueve Reinas (Nine Queens)

Anklaget (Accused)

by Anonymousreply 65October 1, 2017 3:01 AM

"So David went to sleep too. And for the first time in his life, he went to that place... where dreams are born."

(I know people hate this film, but the end just slays me)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66October 1, 2017 3:04 AM

The speech Charlie Chaplin gives at the end of "The Great Dictator." Powerful and prescient.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67October 1, 2017 3:05 AM

Cinema paradiso

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68October 1, 2017 3:11 AM

For me, "you mean all this time we could have been friends".

Seriously, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane had my favorite twist ending of all time. Practically the textbook of passive/aggressive codependency: The victim is really the villain, and vice versa.

by Anonymousreply 69October 1, 2017 3:16 AM

The final sequence in "Greed" in Death Valley is pretty unforgettable. A spar involving handcuffs with a former best friend/now enemy, with a fortune in gold lying next to them and no water in the oppressive desert.

by Anonymousreply 70October 1, 2017 3:17 AM

"Safe"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71October 1, 2017 3:17 AM

The final dance in "Black Swan."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72October 1, 2017 3:19 AM

Ahem ....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73October 1, 2017 3:22 AM

The destruction of Sal's, Mookie and Sal's chat the next morning, and the photo of Malcolm X and MLK at the end of "Do the Right Thing."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74October 1, 2017 3:23 AM

Napoleon Dynamite's dance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75October 1, 2017 3:25 AM

Django exacting bloody revenge on Samuel L. Jackson's character in "Django Unchained."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76October 1, 2017 3:27 AM

Jackie Brown: Pam Grier driving away from Robert Forster while mouthing the words to "Across 110th Street."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77October 1, 2017 3:29 AM

How about Hair? Oh my gosh Black Swan is the campiest trash. How did Natalie ever get talked into that? The ending was very anticlimactic.

by Anonymousreply 78October 1, 2017 3:30 AM

Easy. Same thing that got JLaw to do "mother!," R78.

That delicious Darren Aronofsky dick.

by Anonymousreply 79October 1, 2017 3:32 AM

Aronfsky must be some fuck God. He always seems to nail down some prime young pussy.

by Anonymousreply 80October 1, 2017 3:35 AM

But is it worth almost tanking your career? Benjamin Millipied ain't too shabby!

by Anonymousreply 81October 1, 2017 3:36 AM

Stanley Kubrick's "The Killing"; Sterling Hayden, the "last man standing" in a racetrack heist, desperately tries to take his suitcase, stuffed with $2 million in cash, and high-tail it out of town before the cops catch up to him.

"The Killing" inspired Tarantino's "Reservoir Dogs" btw.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82October 1, 2017 3:41 AM

Also a great ending.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83October 1, 2017 3:43 AM

To Live and Die in L.A. has a rather shocking ending. I'm not gonna spoil it and tell what happens, like some people seem to do in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 84October 1, 2017 3:44 AM

Gaslight, when Paula gets her revenge. Technically it's not the ending, because there is a scene after it, but it's so satisfying it may as well be.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85October 1, 2017 3:49 AM

City Lights

Modern Times

Camille

Queen Christina

Das Boot

The Terminator

Dinner At Eight

Jezebel

Hud

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Harold and Maude

by Anonymousreply 86October 1, 2017 3:49 AM

Another great heist-movie ending (and "Reservoir Dogs" inspiration): the original "Taking of Pelham One Two Three". This time Martin Balsam is the "last man" in a subway heist. Detective Walter Matthau learns that one of the perps is a former motorman, so he's going door-to-door, interviewing motormen who didn't show up to work that day. He's only communicated with ringleader Robert Shaw via radio, but occasionally heard Balsam sneezing in the background, to which Matthau would offhandedly reply "gesundheit".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87October 1, 2017 4:00 AM

Phoebe fantasizes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88October 1, 2017 4:18 AM

All good!

The heartstrings were pulled and tears flowed bigtime at the end of

1. David Lynch's The Straight Story. (Did you ride that thing all the way out here just to see me?) Oy.

2. You Can Count On Me. Dorkiest title for a movie but Laura Linney and Mark Ruffalo pulled that shit off. Amazing performances.

by Anonymousreply 89October 1, 2017 4:50 AM

Didn't see it mentioned but talk about unforgettable. Edward Norton in Primal Fear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90October 1, 2017 4:57 AM

Roman Holiday

by Anonymousreply 91October 1, 2017 5:16 AM

It's a menu!!!

by Anonymousreply 92October 1, 2017 5:27 AM

Edward Scissorhands is sad/magical, music and snow scene make me veklempt and reach for the kleenex.

"Sometimes you'll still catch me dancing in it" 😥

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93October 1, 2017 5:27 AM

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me

Dangerous Liaisons (Close wiping off her makeup is haunting)

Resurrection (Ellen Burstyn film from 1980). So moving.

by Anonymousreply 94October 1, 2017 5:43 AM

R45 I don't think I remember the ending of Maurice. Was it when hugh grant is looking out the window, trapped in his marriage, and sees Maurice below. Remind me? I remember I loved it too.

by Anonymousreply 95October 1, 2017 5:50 AM

Carol's semi ambiguous ending. The vacillating by Rooney and then Cate's big, warm, inviting (but with slightly apprehensive eyes) smile.

by Anonymousreply 96October 1, 2017 5:59 AM

r94, gosh, all the saddest ones

by Anonymousreply 97October 1, 2017 6:04 AM

r97 I choose to think of Fire Walk With Me and Resurrection as happy endings - to a degree. In FWWM, Laura accepts her death and sees the angel whereas in Resurrection - I don't want to give it away but Burstyn's character does something impactful for somebody else and also lets the audience know what she has chosen to do for the future.

by Anonymousreply 98October 1, 2017 6:10 AM

Why does conventional studio wisdom hold that happy endings are best. The unforgettable ones are all sad. The only happy ending I like is the one I get from my Asian masseur in Chelsea.

by Anonymousreply 99October 1, 2017 6:18 AM

Doubt. "I have doubts" "In the pursuit of wrongdoing one steps away from god" Meryl's best performance, flawless inflection and timing to lines. Sorry G.

"Cut your nails!"

by Anonymousreply 100October 1, 2017 6:29 AM

I second R100.

by Anonymousreply 101October 1, 2017 6:31 AM

The Heiress

by Anonymousreply 102October 1, 2017 7:03 AM

The ending of the movie Without a Trace, starring Kate Nelligan, Judd Hirsch, featuring Stockard Channing. I cry crocodile tears every time I watch it. I could not locate an ending clip!

by Anonymousreply 103October 1, 2017 7:27 AM

[quote][R45] I don't think I remember the ending of Maurice. Was it when hugh grant is looking out the window, trapped in his marriage, and sees Maurice below. Remind me? I remember I loved it too.

*SPOILERS* Yes, Clive (Hugh Grant) had just come inside after having met Maurice for the very last time in the garden. Maurice told him he loves Scudder and is leaving with him, and leaving Clive behind. Clive is closing the shutters for the night in their bedroom when he stops to look out the window and "sees" younger Maurice from their college days on a sunny day smiling and waving at him like asking to join him. After a moment Maurice gives up and leaves, still smiling. Clive is left living a lie with a wife and a political career he'll never be able to escape. The ending was tragic and bittersweet. The first time I saw the film I cried for half an hour. The only other film to have such a huge effect on me was Brokeback Mountain.

by Anonymousreply 104October 1, 2017 7:44 AM

Thanks R104 James Ivory's usual screenwriter Ruth Jhabvala chose not to write Maurice. She said she didn't know how men relate together in the privacy of a room.

by Anonymousreply 105October 1, 2017 7:52 AM

A made for tv movie called "Always Remember I Love You" starring Patty Duke and Joan Van Ark. I'm pretty certain this would have to be a favorite of many DL'ers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106October 1, 2017 8:04 AM

R106 here. For anybody who hasn't seen it, it's sloppy, sentimental, extremely manipulative, but trust me and just watch it from the beginning. You'll be crying your fucking eyes out by the end. Anybody who HAS seen it, knows enough to just skip to the end. But seriously, if you haven't seen it, don't deprive yourself the total experience!

by Anonymousreply 107October 1, 2017 8:07 AM

..X..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108October 1, 2017 8:38 AM

Only the most banal straights like Shawshank.

by Anonymousreply 109October 1, 2017 8:44 AM

Only the most bitter queens with no hope left would say that about Shawshank.

Get busy dying, R109.

by Anonymousreply 110October 1, 2017 10:35 AM

The Departed, Marky Mark. The post-credit scene in Hidden (Cache). Shane. Agree with Kind Hearts and Coronets, The Mist, The Usual Suspects, Running on Empty.

by Anonymousreply 111October 1, 2017 11:33 AM

R104 - I recently saw a Maurice playing at some theater in NY, and an additional thing that's striking about the end is that while Hugh Grant is closing the shutters for the night, we initially see him do this from from inside the bedroom - and the sound the shutters make as they're being locked shut is almost creepy - as if he's sealing himself in his own tomb.

Anyway, here are a couple of other in addition to the ones I mentioned at R50:

Brad's birthday at the end of Testament, when Jane Alexander asks "That we remember it all...the good and the awful."

The end of Abbott & Costello's The Time of Their Lives, when Costello finds Heaven is closed because it's George Washington's Birthday.

And, of course, . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112October 1, 2017 1:01 PM

The ending of The Devil and Daniel Webster. Also known as All Money Can Buy.

It is very creepy in a childlike, amusing way. The Devil lost. What shall he do ? Who could be his next target ? But wait! He is coming for YOU! BOOH!

As a kid, the ending of Psycho kept me from sleeping.

by Anonymousreply 113October 1, 2017 2:05 PM

R89, it works because neither Linney nor Ruffalo actually say the line. You know exactly what he means when he says "remember what we used to say to each other?" And of course they know so they don't actually have to say it. So much more realistic and affecting.

by Anonymousreply 114October 1, 2017 2:20 PM

Someone mentioned GREED upthread, and I was glad to not be the only one left to think of the ending of that film (and I am 42).

MAURICE!

400 BLOWS.

by Anonymousreply 115October 1, 2017 2:24 PM

I'll echo the ending of Dangerous Liaisons. I loved everything about this ending scene - the crowd booing, Close's little stagger as she retreats and the gradual fade. Rather beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116October 1, 2017 2:40 PM

And then we have the trashy, DLer version of "Les Liasons dangereuses" - Cruel Intentions!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117October 1, 2017 2:45 PM

What r91 and r99 said. Roman Holiday sets the standard against which all other romantic comedies are measured, especially because of its ending. It's bittersweet, sad and so right.

I love how the camera lingers on Joe's (Gregory Peck) face as it goes from happiness to heartbreak, bringing us with him. The Princess and Joe will find other loves, have children, but their romance will occupy a never-ending place in their hearts, minds and memories for the rest of their lives.

I watched an interview of Gregory Peck where, decades later, he said that he and Audrey Hepburn were both willing to star in a sequel. I don't remember why he said it wasn' t made, but I'm so glad it didn't come to be.

by Anonymousreply 118October 1, 2017 3:29 PM

NO SPOILERS!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 119October 1, 2017 3:35 PM

lol, r119.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120October 1, 2017 3:40 PM

R103, I was looking for that to post as well. A very unusual and unrealistic ending but it really packed a punch. I was a kid when I saw it but the detail when Kate threw her purse and groceries down to run to her son was something that stuck with me.

One few will remember is "The Clock" Judy Garland's first non-singing movie. After her courtship with Robert Walker, he leaves for battle, but the romance has turned into a woman of strength and courage. She walks purposefully through the station as the camera pans up to The Clock.

by Anonymousreply 121October 1, 2017 3:59 PM

So many perfect responses here.

R106 - A thousand times yes. I remember that movie so well. The ending will tear up your insides.

"Longtime Companion" - Even though I don't know anyone personally who passed away from AIDS, the ending is extremely touching.

"Brokeback Mountain" - How can anyone with a heart not get emotional at the end?

"The Champ" (1979) - If this movie's ending doesn't make you cry, you have no soul.

"Titanic" (1997) - Yes, the ship sinks, but that's not al we learn.

by Anonymousreply 122October 1, 2017 4:33 PM

I thought the ending of "Titanic" sucked. Rose, after living a rich, full life and dying in a warm bed when she's an old lady (just as Jack predicted) is transported to heaven, which in her case is a return to the Titanic to be reunited with Jack. Totally mediocre sentimental slop.

By the way, the version of "The Champ" with Wallace Beery and Jackie Cooper was much superior to the 1979 remake. And Cooper's performance totally outshines Ricky Schroder's.

by Anonymousreply 123October 1, 2017 4:46 PM

The eternal sunshine of the spotless mind always has me in tears. Just "ok". And i hate jim carrey.

by Anonymousreply 124October 1, 2017 4:53 PM

Perhaps, R123, but I haven't seen a lot of dramatic movies. Not a big fan of drama. I'm more of a comedy/sci-fi guy.

When's the last time someone said that a comedy or sci-fi movie had a great/emotional/"unforgettable" ending?

No one has mentioned the ending of "Toy Story 3".

by Anonymousreply 125October 1, 2017 4:56 PM

R125, let's also remember the ending of "Up", which was a complete emotional wipeout for so many people because of what came before.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126October 1, 2017 5:01 PM

And the ending of Monsters, Inc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127October 1, 2017 5:09 PM

'The Lives Of Others.'

'One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.'

by Anonymousreply 128October 1, 2017 5:20 PM

The former Stasi head, now a mail delivery man, goes into a bookstore... the wrenching ending of The Lives of Others. Hard to believe it's a first film.

by Anonymousreply 129October 1, 2017 5:21 PM

Great call above - Resurrection, 1980. I'd forgotten about that wonderful film.

by Anonymousreply 130October 1, 2017 11:12 PM

Hi R114, just watched last scene again. It plays beautifully. Easily one of my favorite films.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131October 1, 2017 11:20 PM

r99 “All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.”

by Anonymousreply 132October 1, 2017 11:41 PM

More great endings that weren't the actual endings.

The narration of Chris's death as River Phoenix fades away in Stand by Me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133October 1, 2017 11:46 PM

And Raymond's head nod and C-H-A-R-L-I-E. Charlie finally made his connection.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134October 1, 2017 11:47 PM

The Lives of Others (R128, R129)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135October 1, 2017 11:48 PM

One more not-actual-ending. Setting fire to the house in What's Eating Gilbert Grape.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136October 1, 2017 11:49 PM

How about the end of "The Graduate"? After all that histrionic drama and Benjamin and Elaine are at the back of the bus, deflated. Is this all there is? Now what?

by Anonymousreply 137October 1, 2017 11:52 PM

"I didn't like seeing Donny go. But then I happen to know that there's a little Lebowski on the way. I guess that's the way the whole darned human comedy keeps perpetuating itself..."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138October 1, 2017 11:54 PM

The Empire Strikes Back. DRAMA!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139October 1, 2017 11:58 PM

The Age of Innocence. We discover May knew all along and then there's this beautiful wordless scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140October 2, 2017 12:02 AM

R103 and R121, I HATE YOU BOTH! And yet I LOVE YOU! I was going to post about the ending of WITHOUT A TRACE. It never failed to get me blubbering like a fool, even though it seemed so impossible at the time. But it has happened several times since the movie was made.

by Anonymousreply 141October 2, 2017 12:04 AM

Mulholland Drive. Terrifying, tragic, bittersweet and bizarre.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142October 2, 2017 12:10 AM

The last image of Repulsion stays with you a long time. They zoom on the girl in the pic. Even as a child, she wasn't never quite right. Or was she abused ? Something was disturbing her when the pic was taken and it disturbs us in turn.

by Anonymousreply 143October 2, 2017 12:11 AM

I'm finished.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144October 2, 2017 12:14 AM

R142 and r143 yes! Somebody said the picture reappears in Chinatown, but I can never find it. Maybe they just meant the abuse.

by Anonymousreply 145October 2, 2017 12:19 AM

I always found the ending to The Dead to be beautiful. John Huston's last film, made while he was dying. Written by Tony Huston hewing very closely to the source material and staring Angelica Huston. Very underrated movie. I love Donal McCann's ending narration.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146October 2, 2017 12:40 AM

Thanks R135

by Anonymousreply 147October 2, 2017 1:01 AM

I like the big production number that ends CHICAGO, esp when they cut to Richard Gere and Queen Latifah in the audience, and they're thanking the audience, throwing the flowers, etc.

And have we mentioned "Oh Jerry....let's not ask for the moon - we have the stars," and the cigarettes?

Bette also looks good riding away on the yellow fever wagon at the end of JEZEBEL.

by Anonymousreply 148October 2, 2017 1:58 AM

Two classics:

Sarah Jane throwing herself on her mother's coffin at the end of IMITATION OF LIFE.

Barbara Stanwyck standing out in the rain, looking up through the window at her daughter's wedding.

by Anonymousreply 149October 2, 2017 2:01 AM

Oops - in STELLA DALLAS, of course -

by Anonymousreply 150October 2, 2017 2:02 AM

I know it's not a movie but I loved the ending of the new Twin Peaks series. The new season was loathed by many but I loved the ending. It was very dark. And while many complained that the new season didn't connect to the old Twin Peaks, the ending, in fact, connected very strongly to the original - in the darkest, bleakest and most terrifying way.

by Anonymousreply 151October 2, 2017 2:04 AM

2001: A Space Odyssey

Blade Runner

by Anonymousreply 152October 2, 2017 2:05 AM

"The Thing" (1982)

by Anonymousreply 153October 2, 2017 2:09 AM

Shane (1953)

by Anonymousreply 154October 2, 2017 2:10 AM

Dr. Strangelove

by Anonymousreply 155October 2, 2017 2:14 AM

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)

by Anonymousreply 156October 2, 2017 2:15 AM

The ending to Toy Story 3.

I was 8 when the first was released in 1995 and practically grew up on the franchise.

Watching this ending as a 23 year old, practically Andy's age, tore my heart open. So much nostalgia and memories of lost childhood wrapped in this ending.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157October 2, 2017 2:17 AM

Les Diaboliques (1955)

by Anonymousreply 158October 2, 2017 2:20 AM

Basic Instinct

by Anonymousreply 159October 2, 2017 2:27 AM

Cache (2005)

by Anonymousreply 160October 2, 2017 2:28 AM

Cary Grant, who usually charms, delights and amuses me in his films, genuinely moves me to tears when he finally sees the portrait he painted of Deborah Kerr in her room in "An Affair to Remember" and realizes why she had stood him up at their meeting. His reaction is heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 161October 2, 2017 2:28 AM

Before Sunrise.

by Anonymousreply 162October 2, 2017 2:29 AM

In the Mood for Love.

by Anonymousreply 163October 2, 2017 2:30 AM

"Take Shelter" - Michael Shannon's premonitions come true, and he isn't crazy after all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164October 2, 2017 2:42 AM

"Melancholia"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165October 2, 2017 2:43 AM

The end of Trilogy of Terror, when Karen Black waits for her mother to arrive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166October 2, 2017 3:02 AM

Chinatown

Butterfield 8

by Anonymousreply 167October 2, 2017 3:54 AM

R116 already posted my choice with the ending of Dangerous Liaisons. What was the Marquise thinking as she absently wiped away the makeup? That she was finished? Or that she had a lot of work to do to reestablish her place in society?

by Anonymousreply 168October 2, 2017 6:24 AM

Point Break

The Mist

The Hidden

The Howling

Somewhere In Time

The Sixth Sense

The Others

American Beauty

Scanners

12 Monkeys

Jacob's Ladder

2010 ?? - sequel to 2001 A Space Odyssey

by Anonymousreply 169October 2, 2017 6:45 AM

Although it's understated, I love the end of Manchester By The Sea and the ball. There's no tidy happy ending, just people who have come a little further than they were and are trying their best to be ok. It's all they can do.

by Anonymousreply 170October 2, 2017 7:20 AM

This.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171October 2, 2017 7:21 AM

Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice

by Anonymousreply 172October 5, 2017 2:47 AM

I always loved the ending of Silence of the Lambs, Clarice on the phone saying "Dr. Lecter" over and over as Hannibal melts into the crowd pursuing his next victim. Perfection

by Anonymousreply 173October 5, 2017 4:07 AM

I just realized how the endings of "Midnight Cowboy" and "Brokeback Moutain" have similar meanings.

Both depict two lost souls who never achieved in life what they could have.

by Anonymousreply 174October 5, 2017 4:56 AM

Fun fact: Dustin Hoffman had two iconic roles in two iconic movies, with unforgettable endings. And they both ended with him on a bus: The Graduate and Midnight Cowboy.

(and both had unforgettable songs/soundtracks) including Mrs. Robinson and Everybody's Talkin'

by Anonymousreply 175October 5, 2017 5:02 AM

AND - at least 3 lines that would have made American Film's top 100:

"Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me"

"Plastics, my boy, plastics!"

"Hey - I'm walkin' here!"

by Anonymousreply 176October 5, 2017 5:06 AM

Billy Elliot Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid The Sting Jagged Edge

by Anonymousreply 177October 5, 2017 5:13 AM

Breakfast at Tiffany's with the cat peeking out between the kissing lovers in the rain

by Anonymousreply 178October 5, 2017 6:56 AM

The Ruling Class. Total gut-punch of an ending.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179October 5, 2017 8:55 PM

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. "He lived happily ever after."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180October 5, 2017 9:03 PM

Paths of Glory. Someone please post. "Let the men have a few more minutes...." Kirk Douglas

by Anonymousreply 181October 6, 2017 1:48 AM

Memorable indeed, R181. At first, I was afraid for the terrified singer. Then, the soldiers 'nostalgia is gut wrenching.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182October 7, 2017 6:50 PM

Anna's rejection of Holly at the end of The Third Man, or "Why Men Smoke."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183October 7, 2017 7:11 PM

I agree about Manchester R170 although the very last scene is the silent one of uncle and nephew fishing. I think some of the cinema audience waited in case there was a post credits "resolution" but that would have been trite in a superb movie.

by Anonymousreply 184October 7, 2017 7:42 PM

I know everyone here loathes GP but I thought Shakespeare in Love had the perfect ending.

"How will this to end?"

"As stories must when love's denied. With tears and a long journey."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185October 7, 2017 8:16 PM

^ How IS this to end.

It's not the very last scene but the farewell scene and then the narration describing his next play, "And her name shall be Viola" had me sobbing.

by Anonymousreply 186October 7, 2017 8:23 PM

The ending of Cocoon was pretty epic.

by Anonymousreply 187October 7, 2017 8:30 PM

Antonioni flicks always have killer endings: l'Avventura, Eclisse, The Passenger, Blow-up.

But this blows them all out of the league. Complete cinematic insanity. How this ever got out of MGM is beyond me

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188October 7, 2017 8:47 PM

Not quite the ending scene but just before it.

A Streetcar Named Desire

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189October 7, 2017 9:30 PM

R186 - get the Kleenex!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190October 8, 2017 1:53 AM

It was a tv movie, but I thought "The Night Stalker" with Darren McGavin had an absolutely riveting ending. "Crowhaven Farm", another tv movie, had an ending that I never forgot. Same with "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark" with Kim Darby. All tv movies, but all had endings that stay with you forever.

by Anonymousreply 191October 8, 2017 2:17 AM

"Sid and Nancy":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192October 8, 2017 2:19 AM

I never saw SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE, should I?

It looks...inauthentic.

by Anonymousreply 193October 8, 2017 3:01 AM

R192, I second Sid & Nancy. I was just about to post that clip. Wonderful movie which added to the mystique of their turbulent relationship.

by Anonymousreply 194October 8, 2017 3:09 AM

I liked the surreal ending to "Sid and Nancy" but some people didn't. I thought it expressed very well what did happen after Nancy died; she was gone but Sid was still influenced by her. And I really liked the haunting "Taxi to Heaven" music, although it should have been more aptly titled "Taxi to Hell."

by Anonymousreply 195October 8, 2017 3:22 AM

An unexpected comedic ending works as well......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196October 8, 2017 3:25 AM

I second crowhaven. Saw as kid on Elvira H'ween special. Husband reincarnated, tied bow certain way, ???? Foggy in my mind but stays with me. Please explain.

Reminds me of liz bowen short story her demon lover

by Anonymousreply 197October 8, 2017 5:08 AM

R106 I love that movie. I don't know why they don't show it every year during Christmas, like they use to.

by Anonymousreply 198October 8, 2017 6:17 AM

Nobody did endings better than Billy Wilder.

“Double Indemnity”with Fred MacMurray saying “I love you, too” to Edward G. Robinson.

The hidden bottles throughout the city in “The Lost Weekend.”

And everyone knows the final lines of “Sunset Blvd.” and “Some Like It Hot,” while “Shut up and deal” is another great closer from “The Apartment” that isn’t quite as iconic.

by Anonymousreply 199October 8, 2017 6:22 AM

The Miracle Worker

by Anonymousreply 200October 8, 2017 6:53 AM

Did no one mention It's a Wonderful Life, or did I just miss it? Definitely unforgettable, especially if you grew up when it aired relentlessly during Christmas season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201October 8, 2017 1:54 PM

The Sixth Sense

by Anonymousreply 202October 8, 2017 2:44 PM

Don't Look Now:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203October 8, 2017 3:10 PM

Some Like It Hot. Galipolli.

by Anonymousreply 204October 8, 2017 3:20 PM

"I second crowhaven. Saw as kid on Elvira H'ween special. Husband reincarnated, tied bow certain way, ???? Foggy in my mind but stays with me. Please explain."

Yes, it would seem that her husband (whose life she sacrificed to the witches in order to save her own) has come back in the body of the sinister policeman. He was played by William Smith; he was perfect. When Hope Lange notices he tied the bow in the same unusual way her husband did, she looks at him and he's just staring at her. Then his face breaks into a sly grin and he tells her "it's been a pleasure talking with you. And if it's any comfort to a woman alone like yourself, you can be sure that from now on I'll have my eye on you....and your little boy." Then he rides off. Such a great ending.

by Anonymousreply 205October 8, 2017 4:37 PM

Crowhaven was super weird. The husband does something nice for what looks like a 12 yo girl and she decides he's going to be her husband and Hope Lange didn't have much problem letting her have him.

by Anonymousreply 206October 8, 2017 4:42 PM

Another nod for "Night Of The Living Dead." The ouside the box casting of Duane Jones, an black man, not only in the cast, but as the lead, is one of the most unsung acts of courage in film making.

In true irony, Jones' character, Ben, through sheer ability, manages to stay one step ahead of the zombies to become the last man standing, only to discover, too late, that the greatest danger would prove to be at the hands of those who were sworn to protect not destroy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207October 8, 2017 8:05 PM

Someone already mentioned this, but here's the clip:

Stella Dallas - Stanwyck's favorite of her roles and a truly, truly weepy ending.

And I love the sweet stepmother who makes sure that the drapes are open because she knows....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208October 8, 2017 11:18 PM

AWK They cut the ending!

This one has more the ending - sorry the clip is not as good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209October 8, 2017 11:25 PM

Not sure if it was mentioned but I may be the only one impressed by the ending of "Godspell" -- with the cast turning the corner and gone, lost in the crowd, in the pre-invisible cut days. There are no doorways to hide in either and I can't figure out how they did it (with no special FX). Not available on youtube, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 210October 8, 2017 11:49 PM

I'd forgotten about "Godspell." I liked that ending too.

by Anonymousreply 211October 9, 2017 12:03 AM

This reminds me of the end of Being There, the main character, Chance, walks away from us, on the surface of a pond. My heart/mind interpreted this as Chance being unable to really connect with people, which broke my heart. So many characters in the movie were mistaking Chance's simple-minded thinking for something more profound, except for the doctor near the end, who kindly sussed him out, to Chance's apparent relief. That was really the only new person in Chance's life who understood Chance. I just sobbed at Chance walking on the surface of the water.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212October 9, 2017 12:20 AM

"A Star is Born," 1954

The final dramatic scene of the film: Still dressed in his dressing gown, Norman Maine walks away from his house, into the Malibu surf, never to be seen again.

by Anonymousreply 213October 9, 2017 12:28 AM

R212 - Here's some levity from the film's closing credits to lighten your melancholy mood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214October 9, 2017 12:33 AM

How did the original psycho end. I can't remember? Was it the shower scene or was that early on? I saw it when I was really young, many years ago and not since.

by Anonymousreply 215October 9, 2017 1:46 AM

R215 - this is missing the explanation from the psychiatrist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216October 9, 2017 1:53 AM

The last scene in The Birds which always seems to get discussed here. Truly a perfect ending to me.

by Anonymousreply 217October 9, 2017 1:57 AM

Peter Sellers hated the end credits that featured him cracking up. He thought it "broke the spell." And it did. It should have ended with Chance walking across the pond.

by Anonymousreply 218October 9, 2017 2:31 AM

Interesting. I always just interpreted it as Chance could walk on water because nobody ever told him he couldn't. Like the rest of what had just happened to him.

by Anonymousreply 219October 9, 2017 2:42 AM

Thanks for posting R 182. I used to be obsessed with this scene. I found the song -- it is a lullaby, which I'm sure is obvious.

I read an article a while back about the California Youth Authority. Someone visited the boys there and began reading to them at night before bed . Everyone was shocked because these violent young men were mesmerized by tales of Winnie the Pooh.

It made me think of this final scene,

by Anonymousreply 220October 9, 2017 7:03 AM

The ending of SOM, the Von Trapps are Walking over that mtn range. If they did that from Salzburg, they would be walking into Germany...and the NAZIS!

by Anonymousreply 221October 9, 2017 8:11 AM

The Howling just aired on Peachtree. It's a great shock ending with Dee Wallace's character and the cuts to dog food and beef being cooked.

by Anonymousreply 222April 15, 2018 3:59 AM

The Nun's Story final scene haunted me through my childhood.

by Anonymousreply 223July 29, 2018 5:03 AM

Kiss Me Deadly. Terrifying!

by Anonymousreply 224July 29, 2018 5:06 AM

Kiss Me Deadly (link = SPOILER)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225July 29, 2018 5:07 AM

DELIVERANCE - when Jon Voight awakes from his nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 226July 29, 2018 5:24 AM

The ending of a film called Sarah’s Key, as I recall it, is very moving. Aiden Quinn and Kristen Scott Thomas, both very good in it,

by Anonymousreply 227July 29, 2018 6:21 AM

The ending of Mario Bava’s Bay of Blood is disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 228July 29, 2018 6:34 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229July 29, 2018 6:43 AM

hannibal calling clarice while he goes off to kill the awful psychiatrist

by Anonymousreply 230July 29, 2018 6:50 AM

Because they were both painfully wounded and flawed, you rooted for them: An Officer and A Gentleman

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231July 29, 2018 8:04 AM

The double-sided dildo scene from the end of A Requiem for a Dream. It was inspiring.

by Anonymousreply 232July 29, 2018 8:59 AM

A lot of Kubrick was mentioned, but oddly, not the ending of The Shining.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233July 29, 2018 9:07 AM

"Buster & Billie" no movie today would ever have an ending like that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234July 29, 2018 9:18 AM

The ending of Happiness was weird but then so was the entire movie.

by Anonymousreply 235July 29, 2018 9:29 AM

"What was the Marquise thinking as she absently wiped away the makeup? That she was finished? Or that she had a lot of work to do to reestablish her place in society? "

She was truly looking at herself for, possibly, the first time ever. I think she realised that it was over. She had literally played with everyone and their emotions for her whole life - she now realised she no longer had the resources or strength...or time...to fight for anything of value to her.

The mask had finally slipped - publicly and irreparably - and there was nothing underneath.

by Anonymousreply 236July 29, 2018 3:51 PM

R228, I thought it was hilarious.

The film offered very little in narrative cohesion, so the preposterous ending came right in tune with the nonsensical tone of the film.

The feel-good music that accompanies the patri/matricidal siblings as they frolic in soft-focus is Bava’s crowning touch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237July 29, 2018 4:07 PM

Yes r186. The music is so beautiful and powerful too.

by Anonymousreply 238July 29, 2018 4:46 PM

I've never forgotten the ending to a little seen British horror film called Frightmare. It's about a woman coming to terms with the fact that her mother is a cannibal and the rest of her family keeps defending her and bringing meat home for her. It's almost like an allegory for addiction. It really has to be one of the most haunting and depressing endings I've ever seen. I won't even spoil it, because it's a terrific movie and you should all check it out.

The ending to Black Christmas always freaked me out, too. Just the idea that they got the wrong guy and "Billy" is still there, waiting for his next victim. So creepy. The shock endings of Carrie and Friday the 13th are certainly memorable, too.

I'll never forget the ending to Death Becomes Her, which is still find hilarious. "Do you remember where you parked the car?"

by Anonymousreply 239July 29, 2018 8:38 PM

r19, and OP. Not that poster but he is right and you have got the sequence wrong. It is Dunaway's slight smile, that knows it's the end.

by Anonymousreply 240July 30, 2018 8:35 PM

Frailty. Bill Paxton wasn't crazy after all.

by Anonymousreply 241July 31, 2018 7:06 AM

Pitch Black!

by Anonymousreply 242July 31, 2018 7:11 AM

Pitch Black! ? Frankly I couldn't see it.

by Anonymousreply 243July 31, 2018 2:30 PM

Ending of Mike Leigh's Naked (1993)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244July 31, 2018 2:47 PM

r82 I agree -- one of the best. Great film.

by Anonymousreply 245July 31, 2018 2:51 PM

I love how at the end of the social network it tells you how powerful zuckerberg is and how much money he has but yet he is still lonely and miserable.

by Anonymousreply 246July 31, 2018 3:35 PM

The Omen (1976). Creepy kid smile at the end.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247July 31, 2018 4:12 PM

What? No mention of "The Baby" ????

by Anonymousreply 248July 31, 2018 6:51 PM

Don't believe anyone has mentioned The Asphalt Jungle. Sterling Hayden collapses in the field, the curious horse nudges him with his nose, while Jean Hagen runs for help.

by Anonymousreply 249July 31, 2018 7:12 PM

Don't think this has been added yet. May we all have something like this for our famous final scene.

Finale of "All That Jazz".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250July 31, 2018 9:10 PM

Yes r250! Brilliant. I am watching the beautiful "Handmaid's Tale" movie with Saint Faye, but that's in my favorites and now I want to put it on next.

by Anonymousreply 251July 31, 2018 9:28 PM

[quote]The ending of Mario Bava’s Bay of Blood is disturbing.

I saw this movie for the first time the other night and thought the ending was fantastic! I guess it is disturbing, but it's perfect dark humour to me. And you know, it was well deserved...

by Anonymousreply 252June 30, 2021 12:24 PM

All great endings listed so far!!! What made Planet of the Apes ending so memorable was it was pre-internet (by decades) and no one knew it was coming. I'll add two Hitchcock endings here: Jimmy Stewart's last line in The Man Who Knew Too Much and the last line (and final cut) in Frenzy.

by Anonymousreply 253June 30, 2021 12:34 PM

That last line in Frenzy was ace, I agree, R253. I saw it for the first time only a few weeks ago. It was very disturbing, that film.

by Anonymousreply 254June 30, 2021 12:35 PM

The Abyss

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255June 30, 2021 12:36 PM

Shakespeare In Love, including Gwyneth walking up that endless (Norfolk!).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256June 30, 2021 12:41 PM

House of Sand and Fog (2003) with Jennifer Connelly

"Are you Kathy Niccolo?"

"Yeah."

"is this your house?"

One of the most profound tearjearker movies I have ever seen. If you like to watch movies in which two well-intentioned cultures clash, this one's for you.

by Anonymousreply 257June 30, 2021 1:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!