Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I don't care if it's low class, I bought a Corelle dinnerware set.

I know I've read posts here saying that owning Corelle is symptom of being white trash, but I don't care. My old stoneware needed to be replaced and a Corelle pattern caught my eye. I love my new dishes. They're lightweight and chip resistant. I bought the set in the picture. Being white they're a little plain, but they're classic looking, and I love the embossed details which help them stand out a little. I swore I'd never buy Corelle because I hated my mom's old set; white with the yellow flowers around the edges.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 476September 6, 2018 12:40 AM

We never really care about you either

by Anonymousreply 1September 3, 2017 3:51 PM

I have plain white ones and they are great, last forever. It's a plate and does exactly what I bought them for.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 3, 2017 3:51 PM

What's a "Corelle"?

by Anonymousreply 3September 3, 2017 3:52 PM

No problem. Just don't come back to DL 3 months from now crying that nobody has accepted your invitation to Thanksgiving dinner. You'll know why, OP, you'll know why.

by Anonymousreply 4September 3, 2017 3:53 PM

It sounds like the latest cheap car from Japan.

by Anonymousreply 5September 3, 2017 3:56 PM

It's very pretty, Cuddles.

by Anonymousreply 6September 3, 2017 3:57 PM

Here's the set my mom had for years. And yes, they matched the harvest gold appliances.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 3, 2017 3:57 PM

Ewwwwww!

by Anonymousreply 8September 3, 2017 3:58 PM

You will be amazed how good the Kraft macaroni and cheese looks on them!

by Anonymousreply 9September 3, 2017 3:59 PM

That's my drag name!

by Anonymousreply 10September 3, 2017 4:00 PM

You should all go pick on R2. His dishes are plain, mine are not.

by Anonymousreply 11September 3, 2017 4:02 PM

I have the same set that R2 has and have had them forever and really don't care what anyone else thinks. They look as new as the day I bought them, I didn't want a pattern because I wanted something that was timeless and it is a pattern they still make today. I did break one piece and it was easy to replace. They don't break easily but when they do they shatter into a million pieces.

I like the OP's pattern but 5 years from now it is unlikely they will still be making it. They will still be making my pattern years from now. I have formal china that I rarely use, the Corelle is for everyday, and I love it.

by Anonymousreply 12September 3, 2017 4:02 PM

R7 is why we insist upon having nice things.

by Anonymousreply 13September 3, 2017 4:03 PM

I object to R1 and call it out. No one who is truly "that word" uses "that word".

by Anonymousreply 14September 3, 2017 4:12 PM

I will be eating off of my Fiestaware. My guests always comment on what a lovely table I have. You know how snoopers come over to your house and go through your bathroom cabinet? Well snoopers come over to my house and go through my kitchen cabinets. They are so envious of my varied colors of Fiestaware.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 3, 2017 4:14 PM

Love you, R15. I have Fiestaware, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 3, 2017 4:15 PM

I have so many cool sets of franciscanware (including starburst) but all I ever use every day is corelle. I know; sad.

by Anonymousreply 17September 3, 2017 4:17 PM

Cafe Blue Corelle (WALMART!) is great. Everyone loves it. I have a similar pattern by a big French name, too. Can't be bothered with that heavy shit. Only thing that bugs me about the Corelle is that it vacuum locks when wet and in the sink (I don't have a dishwasher -- don't want one -- I actually like doing dishes).

by Anonymousreply 18September 3, 2017 4:19 PM

Why don't you use your Starburst, R17? It's so nice.

by Anonymousreply 19September 3, 2017 4:19 PM

Ugh,Fiesta ware ? Is it 1986 again ? Apparently yall like feeding your guests lead.

by Anonymousreply 20September 3, 2017 4:21 PM

No lead, R20.

by Anonymousreply 21September 3, 2017 4:21 PM

[quote] I will be eating off of my Fiestaware.

Is that what you call your fuck buddy's ass?

by Anonymousreply 22September 3, 2017 4:22 PM

W&W for you, R22.

by Anonymousreply 23September 3, 2017 4:24 PM

My older sister was bragging to my 14 year old brother and I that her new Corelle plates were unbreakable. My brother took one plate and threw it on the floor and of course it shattered. My sister said "Why would you do something like that?". My brother was mystified and said " I honestly don't know". He was such a good kid and so much fun. 45 years later it still makes me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 24September 3, 2017 4:26 PM

Would Corelle be ok for entertaining outside?

by Anonymousreply 25September 3, 2017 4:29 PM

I think your white stuff is quite nice. Never could understand the plates with gobs of design and different colors. They look great lined up in a cupboard, but slap some spaghetti on them and the clash is so loud you can hear it.

by Anonymousreply 26September 3, 2017 4:29 PM

Corelle is evil when it breaks. Long needles and razors.

by Anonymousreply 27September 3, 2017 4:30 PM

I grew up with the same dishes as R7. Just this year, I bought the set at R2, and boxed up the old dishes and took them to Goodwill. I actually looked at several different stores for a set of real china, but I just didn't care for any of the patterns.

I still have my Mom's wedding china, which we only used on Thanksgiving or Christmas, but too much exposure to heat and cold in the attic has caused the glaze to become crazed, so it's not usable.

by Anonymousreply 28September 3, 2017 4:32 PM

[quote] my 14 year old brother and I

by Anonymousreply 29September 3, 2017 4:35 PM

OP, your set is lovely. I would proudly serve it to company. To me food only looks good on white dishes and serving platters and bowls. Some of the most expensive high end china has those flower patterns. Looking at food on that makes me want to puke. I'll take OP's dishes any day.

by Anonymousreply 30September 3, 2017 4:42 PM

I don't hate white dishes, I just find them boring. I hate floral patterns, though. Hate, hate, hate.

by Anonymousreply 31September 3, 2017 4:44 PM

[quote]slap some spaghetti on them and the clash is so loud you can hear it.

I like this, R26.

by Anonymousreply 32September 3, 2017 4:44 PM

The Corelle patterns with matching Pyrex pieces are nice. Here is the 70's avocado green Corelle Spring Blossom and Pyrex Crazy Daisy. Pyrex and Corelle are tempered to withstand heat. That's the reason they don't just break, they SHATTER.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33September 3, 2017 4:46 PM

[quote] I would proudly serve it to company

But would they it?

by Anonymousreply 34September 3, 2017 4:47 PM

Yeah, R33. That's the kind of stuff a dish queen HATES.

by Anonymousreply 35September 3, 2017 4:48 PM

The big risk with Corelle is dropping anything onto a hard surface (i.e. tile filoor). Because it's glass, a piece of Corelle will shatter into countless tiny shards. And if you're in bare feet, it's a trip to the emergency room.

by Anonymousreply 36September 3, 2017 5:03 PM

When I saw a piece of Corelle shatter at my aunt's house, I knew it was something I never wanted to own when I grew up.

by Anonymousreply 37September 3, 2017 5:08 PM

Just how often are you people dropping plates? Are you all Greek?

by Anonymousreply 38September 3, 2017 5:10 PM

OP, honey it's divine...But, I wouldn't feed my dog off it.

by Anonymousreply 39September 3, 2017 5:25 PM

Once, in my senior year at Swarthmore at the Swarthmore/Princeton Riflery and Advanced Skeet Shooting Finals, the clay pigeon catapult malfunctioned and we were forced to throw these Corelle things in the air by hand to shoot down in order to continue with the competition. Can you imagine?

by Anonymousreply 40September 3, 2017 5:25 PM

Sweetheart, if you wanted Corelle, then you should HAVE Corelle, bless your heart.

by Anonymousreply 41September 3, 2017 5:37 PM

[quote]The big risk with Corelle is dropping anything onto a hard surface (i.e. tile filoor). Because it's glass, a piece of Corelle will shatter into countless tiny shards.

Oooohhhhh! I didn't realise Corelle was glass, duhhhh!

by Anonymousreply 42September 3, 2017 6:11 PM

I, too, grew up with the HIDEOUS pattern at R7.

This is the pattern I bought about 5 years ago, "Urban Black". $20 for the set!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43September 3, 2017 6:12 PM

Ok, you are now blocked. Why would you ever admit this on DL. I only use thrift shop plates.

by Anonymousreply 44September 3, 2017 6:14 PM

r2, thank you. I was going to go out yesterday to buy some dinnerware but it was too hot out. I wanted to get the stuff my Mom had and it is the white Corelle. I didn't know what it was so thank you!

I have been storing my Dad's depression glass china (place setting for 12 and tons of extras) in the attic in the garage. Will the heat ruin it?

by Anonymousreply 45September 3, 2017 6:15 PM

That hideous pattern at R7 is called "Butterfly Gold", and it was YUGE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46September 3, 2017 6:17 PM

"Hideous" r43? C'mon, for the 1970s these patterns were fairly understated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47September 3, 2017 6:18 PM

did you lose your job?

by Anonymousreply 48September 3, 2017 6:19 PM

R48 no I live on the streets

by Anonymousreply 49September 3, 2017 6:22 PM

It's like when one is a very small child and you're having dinner parties for imaginary friends & everyone uses Corelle!

by Anonymousreply 50September 3, 2017 6:28 PM

John-Boy's fiancée: Oh Mrs Walton! These plates don't match!

Elizabeth: Oh well -- i guess we'll have to cancel dinner.

by Anonymousreply 51September 3, 2017 6:31 PM

I have china, but I used my white Corelle dishes everyday. I, also, used my stainless silver and not the silver. Everyone does this. You are cool.

by Anonymousreply 52September 3, 2017 6:34 PM

We didn't get our Corelle until I was about 12. Before that, we had Melamine plates and those multi-color aluminum tumblers (we were poor, and my Mom didn't want her kids possibly breaking anything).

by Anonymousreply 53September 3, 2017 6:36 PM

I still use my Corningware Wildflower set I bought in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 54September 3, 2017 6:38 PM

[quote]I have been storing my Dad's depression glass china (place setting for 12 and tons of extras) in the attic in the garage. Will the heat ruin it?

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 55September 3, 2017 6:41 PM

Oh puh-leeze. I know how you DL kweens roll.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56September 3, 2017 6:45 PM

I've had my plain white set for years, and they still look new. They're fantastic, microwave safe, won't break easily, and easy to carry. Who cares what anyone else thinks, OP?

by Anonymousreply 57September 3, 2017 6:45 PM

I want some Corelle. My Pfaltzgraff plates chipped right after I bought them.

by Anonymousreply 58September 3, 2017 6:49 PM

[quote]That's the reason they don't just break, they SHATTER.

As opposed to stoneware that just breaks in the dishwasher for no apparent reason.

by Anonymousreply 59September 3, 2017 6:50 PM

Too much information?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60September 3, 2017 6:51 PM

I love the Corningware casserole dishes that were called "SimplyLite"-- the newer ones were made out of material that was extremely light and easy to carry. Hard to find it now.

by Anonymousreply 61September 3, 2017 6:51 PM

R61- SimplyLite was discontinued in 2011.

by Anonymousreply 62September 3, 2017 6:53 PM

Trashy is the new Classy 😩

by Anonymousreply 63September 3, 2017 6:54 PM

OMG. You queens. You queens!

by Anonymousreply 64September 3, 2017 6:56 PM

Yes, r64?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65September 3, 2017 7:00 PM

I remember Ted Allen, on Queer Eye, saying that one should always use white dishes to put the visual focus on the food. He had a point and I've always used white dishes since.

by Anonymousreply 66September 3, 2017 7:01 PM

I have Corelle too. And they have last forever, like everyone here has mentioned. So, I wanted to know, what is Corelle made of? What makes them so durable?

by Anonymousreply 67September 3, 2017 7:06 PM

I only use mine when I eat chicken.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68September 3, 2017 7:13 PM

r67 see r60

by Anonymousreply 69September 3, 2017 7:13 PM

OP what you own doesn't make you trashy. It's how you behave that defines it. Being thrifty and practical is great especially when you enjoy your purchase. However, taking your Corelle dish to your neigbors and asking to borrow a plate of food would leaning toward trashy.

by Anonymousreply 70September 3, 2017 7:19 PM

A friend of mine liked my Corelle dishes and asked me to get a set of the same pattern for his birthday. He's worth around $600m. So off to Walmart I went and dropped $40 for him. Makes me laugh to think of it.

by Anonymousreply 71September 3, 2017 7:25 PM

So r70, would expecting your neighbor to also supply the dish push one all the way into trashy territory?

by Anonymousreply 72September 3, 2017 7:25 PM

Thank you OP and r2!!! I am ordering the Winter Frost White 50-pc Dinnerware Set.

Thank you, r55. I will move the depression glass set from the attic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73September 3, 2017 7:32 PM

[quote]I have been storing my Dad's depression glass china (place setting for 12 and tons of extras) in the attic in the garage. Will the heat ruin it?

Take it out and use it. It's lonely.

by Anonymousreply 74September 3, 2017 7:38 PM

[quote]I have been storing my Dad's depression glass china (place setting for 12 and tons of extras) in the attic

What color(s)?

by Anonymousreply 75September 3, 2017 7:38 PM

Possibly, r70. If both neighbor and your "friend" share living spaces with more that 4 cats or dogs or a mixture, then yes, we are dipping into trashy territory. If only one of the parties have that animal factor then it's just plain poor, not trashy.

by Anonymousreply 76September 3, 2017 7:41 PM

At a flea market years ago I sent a friend of mine in the direction of a bunch of depression glass I thought she'd like since she was a glass collector. She just made a face and took a drag of her Virginia Slim 100 and said, "Not interested. I used to eat off that shit when I was a kid".

by Anonymousreply 77September 3, 2017 7:42 PM

R71 Forget about the dishes, I'd like to meet your friend.

by Anonymousreply 78September 3, 2017 7:45 PM

LOVE FIESTAWARE!!!!!!!! Girls, if you are ever in Ohio, or West Virginia, make a trip to Newell, West Virginia and visit the Homer Laughlin China Company factory store. They make lots of stuff in addition to FIESTAWARE and they have out of production, brand new, test colors etc. They also have accessories and seconds, which are cheap. The seconds look first quality, hard if impossible to spot a flaw. You also can practically guarantee you will see many other queens, sometimes in groups, and some surprisingly bitch guys make that Butch!

by Anonymousreply 79September 3, 2017 7:47 PM

r75, it's pink with no pattern. It's really pretty on a white table cloth. My Mom only used it twice. One coffee cup is broken, other than that everything is in perfect condition (or was before I put it in the attic 5 years ago).

I'm not sure where to store it, there is too much of it to fit in a china cabinet.

by Anonymousreply 80September 3, 2017 7:52 PM

Nauseating in every way. If money is a concern why not buy good china pieces at a thrift shop and toss it when it chips?

by Anonymousreply 81September 3, 2017 7:54 PM

I had no idea it was glass. I thought it was plastic.

by Anonymousreply 82September 3, 2017 7:56 PM

always Fiestaware. I have almost every color since the 80s in one piece or another.

by Anonymousreply 83September 3, 2017 7:57 PM

Darling R80,Im pretty sure you just described the most common depression glass there is. The value on most depression has completely tanked and will never rise again. Trust me,ditch that crap,its not worth dragging around.

by Anonymousreply 84September 3, 2017 7:58 PM

What does dl consider an acceptable brand of everyday dinnerware? Lennox?

by Anonymousreply 85September 3, 2017 8:00 PM

These were the ones I brought in 1989. I was in the military at an overseas base, and I purchased them at the Navy Exchange. I still have and use them today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86September 3, 2017 8:04 PM

Those are pretty,R86 !

by Anonymousreply 87September 3, 2017 8:06 PM

[quote]LOVE FIESTAWARE!!!!!!!! Girls, if you are ever in Ohio, or West Virginia, make a trip to Newell, West Virginia and visit the Homer Laughlin China Company factory store.

Or in Pittsburgh, PA.

[quote]The seconds look first quality, hard if impossible to spot a flaw.

That has never been my experience, and I've been there three or four times.

by Anonymousreply 88September 3, 2017 8:08 PM

It's difficult to break, but when it does you get extremely dangerous shards. As I found out, tragically, if you miss cleaning up even one sharp piece, pets will eat them.

by Anonymousreply 89September 3, 2017 8:09 PM

I bought these plates, bowls, and cups a few months ago -- what does DL think?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90September 3, 2017 8:11 PM

Having a gross prolapsed anus is low class! Tuck it in, girl.

by Anonymousreply 91September 3, 2017 8:16 PM

^ Always someone to drag a thread to the gutter.

by Anonymousreply 92September 3, 2017 8:17 PM

R90, Those are nice! Which color did you choose?

by Anonymousreply 93September 3, 2017 8:20 PM

I got them in ice blue, R93. And thank you!

by Anonymousreply 94September 3, 2017 8:25 PM

You peasants seem so happy. I envy you.

by Anonymousreply 95September 3, 2017 8:28 PM

Those are lovely, Op. You've selected *solid white. Good job.

Handle with care: when washing the set, please consider wearing textured rubber glove. Otherwise, the wet plates/bowls are dangerously subject to slipping out of your wet hands, boomeranging around the sink: disaster.

*Solid white: a much more professional presentation. The food is the focus, rather than the color of the setting.

by Anonymousreply 96September 3, 2017 8:32 PM

I strongly believe OP is a Corelle Rep pushing Gays to own their lovely dishes.

by Anonymousreply 97September 3, 2017 8:33 PM

Those look gorgeous, R90.

Especially love the two purple shades. Although the "ice blue" [more like minty aqua, imo] is lovely as well.

... Wait, is that $40 price for ONE plate?

by Anonymousreply 98September 3, 2017 10:08 PM

[quote]What does dl consider an acceptable brand of everyday dinnerware? Lennox?

Ikea, 365+

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99September 3, 2017 10:12 PM

Your dishes are fine. I am enjoying the thread

by Anonymousreply 100September 3, 2017 10:12 PM

R99 Looks great, chiptastic. Been there.

by Anonymousreply 101September 3, 2017 10:13 PM

[quote]I remember Ted Allen, on Queer Eye, saying that one should always use white dishes to put the visual focus on the food. He had a point and I've always used white dishes since.

Big, giant, gargantuan white plates.

by Anonymousreply 102September 3, 2017 10:20 PM

R90 - I think they're going to make a lot of noise while people are eating unless they're using their hands.

by Anonymousreply 103September 3, 2017 10:22 PM

R1 is my personal hero.

by Anonymousreply 104September 3, 2017 10:43 PM

I like my white Corelle dinnerware, but if I had more room, I would also like a set of Johnson Blue Willow. When I had an apartment, I had a mismatched set of Blue Willow, so I'm used to the color, and I like the traditional patterns.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105September 3, 2017 10:43 PM

I love my Corelle plate ware. They could certainly up their game by making older patters still available on their website, or something like that, to replace broken pieces tho. But in terms of them being lightweight and more durable, they're so much nicer than the bulky, heavy plate ware I've had in the past.

by Anonymousreply 106September 3, 2017 10:45 PM

I have an 8-place setting of clear glass dishes (3 sizes of plates, bowls, mugs) that I got from Ikea in something like 1990. A few pieces have broken over the decades but they are still the every-day dishware. They have been through the dishwasher 1000's of times.

by Anonymousreply 107September 3, 2017 10:48 PM

[quote]I love my Corelle plate ware.

"Plate ware"? Where is that a thing?

by Anonymousreply 108September 3, 2017 10:49 PM

eBay r106.......

by Anonymousreply 109September 3, 2017 11:55 PM

West Elm has very good plates, mugs, etc. for not a lot of money.

by Anonymousreply 110September 4, 2017 12:06 AM

[quote] Once, in my senior year at Swarthmore at the Swarthmore/Princeton Riflery and Advanced Skeet Shooting Finals, the clay pigeon catapult malfunctioned and we were forced to throw these Corelle things in the air by hand to shoot down in order to continue with the competition. Can you imagine?

What happened in the semi-finals, the very semi-finals?

by Anonymousreply 111September 4, 2017 12:10 AM

Cowelle!

by Anonymousreply 112September 4, 2017 12:10 AM

[quote] and some surprisingly bitch guys make that Butch!

?

by Anonymousreply 113September 4, 2017 12:20 AM

[quote]Just how often are you people dropping plates? Are you all Greek?

Really, I've had them for years and have dropped some and not a chip. If you shatter a Corelle dish, it's because you wanted to.

by Anonymousreply 114September 4, 2017 12:21 AM

Only in the First World can we have snobbery and character judgement based on fucking DISHES.

For the record I LOVE vintage Franciscan Ware, my fondness of which, I'm sure, would get me laughed right out of NYC or LA polite society.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115September 4, 2017 12:32 AM

Haha OP I bought the exact same set a few months ago, I love them! I went through a clunky "Pfaltzgraff" phase but then decided they were just too heavy and chipped frequently. I have several sets of china and vintage glass tableware that I use on special occasions but love having simple Corelle for everyday use. Also, R90 I love that pattern and the colors.

by Anonymousreply 116September 4, 2017 12:37 AM

I've always wanted a set of Franciscan Ivy because that's what the Ricardos had.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117September 4, 2017 12:53 AM

I exclusively serve my dinner guests Taco Bell & Subway on Corelle! I won't break out the Chinette- that's for Thanksgiving/Christmas!

by Anonymousreply 118September 4, 2017 12:57 AM

R89, My condolences.

by Anonymousreply 119September 4, 2017 1:03 AM

I'm liking r43's dish set. I like its aggressive irony.

by Anonymousreply 120September 4, 2017 1:13 AM

You people are so high class. This is what I use for everyday china.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121September 4, 2017 1:24 AM

Love Corelle!!

I can wash it in the dishwasher and put it in the microwave. What else would one ever need?

by Anonymousreply 122September 4, 2017 1:36 AM

[quote]You will be amazed how good the Kraft macaroni and cheese looks on them!

Here ya go

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123September 4, 2017 1:44 AM

R123, Ketchup is wrong on hot dogs. But the rest of it wouldn't really bother me (once I had a couple of glasses of wine). I actually like Kraft Macaroni and Cheese (although I can't imagine making it now). And hot dogs are a very rare indulgence (much better from a street vendor than an home).

by Anonymousreply 124September 4, 2017 1:54 AM

I'm disabled and can't bend so I stopped using anything made of glass if I can help it. About 8 years ago when I could still walk around stores I found a set of hard (not disposable) plastic dishes, bowls, etc. The problem is it stains. If anything has color like tomatoes or any kind of coloring, natural of fake, like sweet and sour Chinese food delivered, it never really comes out. I wash the dishes/bowls very carefully with hot water and Dawn dish soap. I have no dishwasher, but I do as good a job as anyone can do by hand. I've tried SOS pads and they still stain. It's only me so it's not like I care about company or anything but who likes to eat off plates that always look dirty.

Oh I do nuke foods a lot so like these dishes I need something safe for the microwave.

Does anyone know of any truly non breakable plastic dish and bowls, larger cereal bowls and the small ones I use for side dishes or a scoop of ice cream or something?

I tried Target online and BB&B and Amazon online and couldn't find anything. Also they can't be too expensive as I live only on a small disability check a month.

I was surprised when I was first looking for non breakable dishes that Corelle was breakable and was made of glass. I had always thought the point of it was that it was unbreakable and not made of glass. So then what is the point of it. It's not all that inexpensive. Why buy it if it's breakable and breaks in even a worse way than regular glass.

by Anonymousreply 125September 4, 2017 2:03 AM

Having attractive dinnerware is important.

by Anonymousreply 126September 4, 2017 2:05 AM

i really like that and also the pattern. Great Choice!

by Anonymousreply 127September 4, 2017 2:11 AM

R125, I came across this, looking online. Seriously, look online a bit. If you can find a set of dinnerware, let me know. If you can find one that works, if you're able, set up a GoFundMe page, and tell me the name it's under (doesn't have to be your real name). I'll cover it. Seriously. I'm an old, white, hourly worker, but I care about those whose are harder than mine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128September 4, 2017 2:21 AM

(R30) and R(70) nailed it. So did a few others.

They are beautiful dishes. I use plain white Corelle all the time.

by Anonymousreply 129September 4, 2017 2:43 AM

R113 I meant there were bitch guys shopping, not bitch guys. And I have found great seconds at the factory store. Maybe a blip or pimple type thing on the bottom. If you don't like seconds, they have lots of department store quality merchandise.

by Anonymousreply 130September 4, 2017 2:44 AM

Embossed square plates??

No.

by Anonymousreply 131September 4, 2017 2:57 AM

I bought Corelli bowls for my cats' food.

by Anonymousreply 132September 4, 2017 3:03 AM

Corelle, not Corelli. My spellcheck knows what Corelli is, but I don't

by Anonymousreply 133September 4, 2017 3:04 AM

R123, what the fuck are all those "things"?

by Anonymousreply 134September 4, 2017 3:07 AM

[quote]Does anyone know of any truly non breakable plastic dish and bowls, larger cereal bowls and the small ones I use for side dishes or a scoop of ice cream or something?

Melamine, but it isn't microwave safe.

by Anonymousreply 135September 4, 2017 3:11 AM

But it's as sturdy as hell.

by Anonymousreply 136September 4, 2017 3:11 AM

I've had a set for 20 years and I'll never get rid of them, except to buy another set.

by Anonymousreply 137September 4, 2017 3:24 AM

I like R128's plastic items, and they appear not to be melamine since they're autoclavable and microwave safe. Possibly polypropylene, which is one of the better food grade plastics.

by Anonymousreply 138September 4, 2017 3:27 AM

r131 calm down they are round in the middle,

by Anonymousreply 139September 4, 2017 5:11 AM

My husband like square plates, but I can't stand them. I keep my mouth shut because marriage requires sacrifices.

I wouldn't mind some Fiestaware, but if I wanted colorful dishes, I'd get Le Creuset ware. They're heavy as fuck but are the same rich, vivid colors as their cookware.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140September 4, 2017 6:53 AM

But if I could have ANY dishes I wanted, I would have nothing but Pixieware, and I'm not kidding. It's kitsch so kitschy that it's almost poetic. I don't know if they had dishes, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141September 4, 2017 6:59 AM

R115 you can be in my polite society. Everyday is both Franciscan Apple and old & new Fiesta.

Have a beautiful set of inherited 1930s 'Old Britain Castles' in red/pink for special occasions & holidays, now so casually conducted that my partner complains if we use it because we "have to wash it by hand" (would never put it in the dishwasher of course).

by Anonymousreply 142September 4, 2017 7:03 AM

[quote]Really, I've had them for years and have dropped some and not a chip. If you shatter a Corelle dish, it's because you wanted to.

I bought Corelle when it was new on the market. They had a free replacement guarantee, so when I broke a bowl, I sent for a replacement. I got a bag of shards in the mail one day, thanks to the USPS. When I reordered and got another bag that rattled, I gave up.

I don't know about Corelle now, but I didn't like how noisy it was when we were eating. Other than that permanently missing bowl, it was okay.

by Anonymousreply 143September 4, 2017 7:15 AM

OP's dishes are some of the tackiest things I've ever seen.

Cincinnati frau in the late 1980s.

So ghastly I have to assume this is a satirical post.

by Anonymousreply 144September 4, 2017 7:19 AM

R140, those are terrible.

Who would have a big brand name emblazoned on the "front" of each plate?

by Anonymousreply 145September 4, 2017 7:22 AM

Typical Le Creuset, R145.

I dislike their colors, or I would own more of their cookware. I bought a couple of pieces from Williams Sonoma when they had special colors that were much nicer than regular Le Creuset. I have a large Dutch oven in dark hunter green, and smaller Dutch ovens in a pretty citrus yellow and a nice clear blue. Naturally, the first thing I did was replace with metal knobs so they're ovenproof.

by Anonymousreply 146September 4, 2017 7:29 AM

When my Mom died I got an entire set for eight of Noritake china and her Mother's six setting Blue Willow. I gave them away. I'll keep my Corelle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147September 4, 2017 9:39 AM

Truthfully, the soup kitchen I volunteer at uses Corelle, but a lot of the Homeless prefer the paper plates.

by Anonymousreply 148September 4, 2017 12:26 PM

I have a set of vintage pyrex. Love them. They are dishwasher safe but i hand wash them as the dishwasher etching can dull the patterns.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149September 4, 2017 12:55 PM

I grew up with with corelle dinnerware. As an adult I found it tacky and went through dinnerware sets only to come back to corelle. I have the plain winter frost set. I only use my Lenox China for special occasions.

I have tried other dinnerware brands and the only stuff I think is better is Buffalo China.

by Anonymousreply 150September 4, 2017 1:17 PM

[quote]They don't break easily but when they do they shatter into a million pieces.

I dropped a Corelle plate a few years ago and it broke... and it just kept breaking. The pieces kept snapping into smaller and smaller pieces, popping all over the floor like crazy. It was a little scary.

Those things are built to last, though. We bought some Corelle in the 1990s with a thin design of a blue, green and purple stripe on one side, and though they've faded in the dishwasher, they are still going strong.

by Anonymousreply 151September 4, 2017 1:28 PM

Same, R53. Mom ended up switching to ceramic when our grocery store started giving away one dish per week as long as you bought a certain amount of groceries at once. She was so excited because it was a tasteful set for once and not that crazy colonial pattern stuff you usually saw. This is close to what she had, but it was a whole set: dinner plates, salad plates, bowls, cups, saucers, and I think a platter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152September 4, 2017 1:40 PM

[quote] I am ordering the Winter Frost White 50-pc Dinnerware Set.

I inherited an older set of that. Still going strong, matches with my white and striped set, too. You are going to LOVE the 6-oz. bowls. We use them for steamed rice all the time.

by Anonymousreply 153September 4, 2017 1:44 PM

OP, you are not going to actually EAT from that dinnerware AFTER LABOR DAY, right? RIGHT???

by Anonymousreply 154September 4, 2017 1:45 PM

[quote]My husband like square plates, but I can't stand them. I keep my mouth shut because marriage requires sacrifices.

This is the most Dataloungey thing I have ever read in my life.

by Anonymousreply 155September 4, 2017 2:05 PM

I would feed said husband on his square plate, and eat off of the dishes I like.

by Anonymousreply 156September 4, 2017 2:10 PM

I have the classic Wedgwood White.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157September 4, 2017 2:20 PM

[quote] What does dl consider an acceptable brand of everyday dinnerware? Lennox?

Use any dishes you want. It's 2017 not 1950. No one cares about this type of thing. Who are you trying to impress?

by Anonymousreply 158September 4, 2017 2:22 PM

[quote]OP's dishes are some of the tackiest things I've ever seen. Cincinnati frau in the late 1980s. So ghastly I have to assume this is a satirical post.

I have to agree with R144. Op's dishes are depressingly ugly.

Anyway, that Corelle crap is just too light and dinky.

As for me: I have white restaurant style porcelain

[quote]Use any dishes you want. It's 2017 not 1950. No one cares about this type of thing. Who are you trying to impress?

Part of living well is having nice things.

by Anonymousreply 159September 4, 2017 2:26 PM

I was going to buy fiestaware but the bowls and cups are way too small.

by Anonymousreply 160September 4, 2017 2:34 PM

Beware - products like Corelle & Pyrix are made in China these days and they are not heat resistant like they used to be - they'll blow up in the microwave and as others have noted, they don't break - they shatter.

by Anonymousreply 161September 4, 2017 2:35 PM

I know several people who don't know what to do with the boxed up "good china" they own or inherited.

They don't want to fool with using it, delicately washing it, or storing it. The aftermarket for it is terrible right now, maybe forever.

Brides don't give a shit these days, only old gay guys apparently remain.

by Anonymousreply 162September 4, 2017 2:37 PM

My mother had the burgundy rose

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163September 4, 2017 2:40 PM

[quote] When I saw a piece of Corelle shatter at my aunt's house, I knew it was something I never wanted to own when I grew up.

I have had my Corelle for at least 30 years and in all that time I have only broken one piece, many had been dropped, banged, and hit and much to my surprise they didn't break, it really is rather hard to break one, but when they do it is a mess as any broken glass would be. Any china when dropped and broken is going to be dangerous if you have no shoes on.

by Anonymousreply 164September 4, 2017 3:01 PM

r164 - As stated above, Corelle and Pyrex are tempered glass. They don't just break like regular glass, they shatter.

r159 - I love the vintage airbrushed restaurant/dinerware. This is the pattern I have at present.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165September 4, 2017 3:05 PM

R105 You are only permitted to eat Chinese take out on those plates.

by Anonymousreply 166September 4, 2017 3:10 PM

R164, I believe Emma Thompson would call that "twee".

by Anonymousreply 167September 4, 2017 3:12 PM

I discovered Corelle salad plates a few years ago. I've bought six on sale at Walmart for a buck, all remainders.

Why?

Because they are THE BEST replacements for the LeMenu melamine microwave plates we all knew and loved, bar none. Perfect size and shape (low shoulders).

Try one, LeMenu plate lovers, you won't be disappointed!

by Anonymousreply 168September 4, 2017 3:13 PM

You know... I'm pretty gay. I mean... really gay. I've had more cock in me than I can remember. There have been some mornings I've woken up with a cock in me and I had no idea who said cock belonged to. So, yeah... I'm gay. But I am not so gay that I give two fucks about what kind of plates you use. Who the fuck cares? They're plates. Utilitarian, by nature. Use paper plates for all I care. I can't believe there are any grown men, who care about plates or even know what stoneware is. Please.

by Anonymousreply 169September 4, 2017 3:13 PM

[quote] I only use my Lenox China for special occasions.

I don't have any special occasions. The only person who ever comes to my place is my boyfriend, and I don't even know how to cook. We usually eat out.

by Anonymousreply 170September 4, 2017 3:14 PM

You're shallow r169......

by Anonymousreply 171September 4, 2017 3:19 PM

Shallower than piss on a flat rock!

by Anonymousreply 172September 4, 2017 3:21 PM

I gave my old Corelle Blue Cornflower see to my lesbian niece years ago she loved the pattern.

by Anonymousreply 173September 4, 2017 3:25 PM

R169 is worse than shallow. All gays should educate themselves about the finer things in life. .Its who we are as a people.

by Anonymousreply 174September 4, 2017 3:26 PM

My husband George will only eat off my Franciscan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175September 4, 2017 3:28 PM

[quote] I gave my old Corelle Blue Cornflower see

Aka the Holy See

by Anonymousreply 176September 4, 2017 3:31 PM

Before you buy Corelle - or anything else for that matter - ask yourself: Would Jackie have purchased this?

by Anonymousreply 177September 4, 2017 3:37 PM

I imagine our Jackie would have opted for one of Oleg Cassini's lines r177.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178September 4, 2017 3:47 PM

I love Riviera......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179September 4, 2017 3:53 PM

Omg is there anything gayer than Fiestaware? Too much, too much.

by Anonymousreply 180September 4, 2017 4:03 PM

r179 suppresses the appetite.

by Anonymousreply 181September 4, 2017 4:06 PM

Bed Bath and Beyond Everyday White is all I will ever buy, for everyday use, as well as special occasions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182September 4, 2017 4:17 PM

^ Too much wasted real estate with those big edges. Okay for a restaurant. Pretentious otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 183September 4, 2017 4:19 PM

[Quote] Beware - products like Corelle & Pyrix are made in China these days and they are not heat resistant like they used to be - they'll blow up in the microwave and as others have noted, they don't break - they shatter.

Mary! Please. I put my new Correll in the microwave all the time. One has yet to blow up on me. I even dropped one and it didn't break or shatter.

by Anonymousreply 184September 4, 2017 4:23 PM

For r155-

My husband like square plates, but I can't stand them. I keep my mouth shut because marriage requires sacrifices. And he has a huge cock, like, really, equal to the diameter of a nine-inch dinner plate.

by Anonymousreply 185September 4, 2017 4:26 PM

r183 Are you the queen who thinks gefilte fish is pretentious?

by Anonymousreply 186September 4, 2017 4:35 PM

Just between us, is there a Corelle pattern with hand painted periwinkles?

by Anonymousreply 187September 4, 2017 4:35 PM

[quote] Bed Bath and Beyond Everyday White is all I will ever buy, for everyday use, as well as special occasions.

Is that from the "Beyond" part?

by Anonymousreply 188September 4, 2017 4:45 PM

Alll this about dinner ware, when real cool people eat right out of those cardboard tubs with red pagodas on them.

by Anonymousreply 189September 4, 2017 5:38 PM

[quote]Too much, too much.

R179 R180 My eye and brain can only deal with three colors at a time. Anything more is cacophony. Nice, though.

by Anonymousreply 190September 4, 2017 5:42 PM

R189 Another reason not to be a millennial.

by Anonymousreply 191September 4, 2017 5:44 PM

BTW, OP's pattern is called "Cherish." Isn't that precious?

(And it comes in both square and round.)

by Anonymousreply 192September 4, 2017 5:48 PM

No love for Russel Wright?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193September 4, 2017 7:49 PM

Corning Glass no longer makes Corelle. I think they sold it to a company called Vitrelle. The new Corelles that have come out are not as good, are made of thin glass, and are known to break and shatter when dropped.

The Corelles manufactured by Corning, especially the earlier vintage ones like Harvest Gold and the avocado-green Spring Blossom, are sturdier because they are made with thicker glass, almost like Pyroceram. They can still be bought at Ebay, thrift shops and flea markets at reasonable prices.

The Corning French White serveware, on the other hand, has been redesigned and are now made in China. I've heard that are of inferior quality. The price of the made in USA ones have gone up on Ebay. Single serveware with Pyrex glass lids now costs $35 to $45 inclusive of shipping costs.

I use Corelle everyday. They're so easy to wash and are not heavy. I do have other dish sets - depression glass (sapphire blue bubble pattern and Fostoria American), Noritake (Canton and Vivienne patterns), Franciscan (Atomic pattern), Luray pastels and Homer Laughlin (diner green band pattern). They haven't been used for while.

by Anonymousreply 194September 4, 2017 8:54 PM

R194, legitimately it can be said that you type fat.

by Anonymousreply 195September 4, 2017 8:59 PM

I wish there is a Corelle pattern that will go well with my Chantilly pattern sterling silver.

by Anonymousreply 196September 4, 2017 9:02 PM

We have a large set of Kaysons Golden Rhapsody®©1961 that's been in the family forever--use everyday (Including holidays)--very durable; (clean in dishwasher) only some of the gold rim & pattern has faded. I just like the substantial feel & presentation is always attractive, especially in candlelight . . . I still can't get over the fact that this was a give-away retail premium in the 60's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197September 4, 2017 9:06 PM

R197, yours is the first nice one in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 198September 4, 2017 9:08 PM

I like the Memphis pattern. It is so colorful. I don't need to have heavy Fiestaware to have color at my dining table.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199September 4, 2017 9:13 PM

[quote]They're so easy to wash and are not heavy.

I really don't get all of this praise for Corelle because it's "so light"...it's "not heavy".

Are you people so feeble lifting a plate taxes you?

Dinnerware should have substance, a certain heft.

The same for forks, knives and spoons.

by Anonymousreply 200September 4, 2017 9:17 PM

I find Metlox California Contemporary pretty spectacular.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201September 4, 2017 9:17 PM

Here is the Obama presidential china at unviling. I bet the Trump china will be all glitter and gold.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202September 4, 2017 9:25 PM

We had a set when I was young that was just used for backyard BBQ's and parties. They were yellow and had some flowery border around the plate rim. I have no idea why we stopped using them or what happened to them.

by Anonymousreply 203September 4, 2017 9:27 PM

R197, That looks very similar to my Mom's wedding china, which I would use for everyday use if it hadn't been damaged in storage. It's Lady Empire Lily of the Valley, with a platinum trim.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204September 4, 2017 9:28 PM

We had the thicker blur pattern I still have a few, minus the ones I threw at my sister.

by Anonymousreply 205September 4, 2017 9:36 PM

1973? I'm old...

by Anonymousreply 206September 4, 2017 9:37 PM

IIRC, Corelle is made in the USA. There is something to be said for buying American.

by Anonymousreply 207September 4, 2017 9:38 PM

r125 make a paste on the plate with water & baking soda. let it sit a bit and rinse. see if that helps. not sure how well on old stains but if you use baking soda on a new stain it should remove it right away.

by Anonymousreply 208September 4, 2017 9:40 PM

[quote]I love my Corelle plate ware. They could certainly up their game by making older patters still available on their website

You never heard of Replacements.com? Turn in your gay card.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209September 4, 2017 9:41 PM

R199, I have that set at my beach house. I love it.

by Anonymousreply 210September 4, 2017 9:42 PM

I fully expected there to be vile accusations,recriminations and tears on this subject ! I confess Im a little disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 211September 4, 2017 9:43 PM

I don't care about you bitches and your cheap Corelle ware. I have a vintage set of these that are about 60 years old and I still use them every day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212September 4, 2017 9:49 PM

Here, read this!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213September 4, 2017 9:50 PM

[quote]I really don't get all of this praise for Corelle because it's "so light"...it's "not heavy". Are you people so feeble lifting a plate taxes you?

I have both Corelle and ceramic dish ware. It's true that Corelle can feel a little insubstantial, especially if you're used to bulkier, larger plates. But it's nice that it doesn't take up a lot of room in kitchen cabinets, fits easily in dishwasher racks, and doesn't chip. We tend to use it more for lighter meals---breakfast and lunch.

by Anonymousreply 214September 4, 2017 9:51 PM

I don't like your dishes OP but I don't HATE them. They might have been better round with that embossing, not squared.

Are the Corelle - that was reintroduced as a brand in 2009 - still made in France?

I like French mass market glassware by Arcoroc. I really don't care for Corelle but don't mind seeing the 70's stuff, nowadays, if its is not scratched or worn in anyway.

by Anonymousreply 215September 4, 2017 9:52 PM

I LOVE Arcoroc Coquillage plates and bowls, I have them in a few colours and sizes. They also made a gigantic glass fish platter that makes for a nice presentation used as a plate.

Vintage french glass dinnerware is incredibly easy to find and cheap.... in Germany and Switzerland.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216September 4, 2017 9:58 PM

R194, you're close. According to Wiki, Vitrille is the name of a layered glass process used in Corelle, but World Kitchen now owns Corelle and other Corning brands like Pyrex.

The article goes into shattering problems with Pyrex (not necessarily Corelle) due to a switch to a lower quality glass. I can verify that newer Corelle is thinner, and I've managed to break it.

by Anonymousreply 217September 4, 2017 9:59 PM

Zara Home (Europe, don't know for USA) had a huge line of borosilicate glass dinnerware, last season. It was a good design but it didn't sell, it was way overpriced. And made in China.

by Anonymousreply 218September 4, 2017 10:01 PM

this thread has been like a breath of fresh air

by Anonymousreply 219September 4, 2017 10:02 PM

R201 I like Metlox Colorstax.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220September 4, 2017 10:02 PM

Holy moly R212! What a blast from the past! We had those too and I know my mother still has them. Thanks for the memory!

by Anonymousreply 221September 4, 2017 10:10 PM

R125 - I think you should investigate microwaveable bowls. Its a very hard plastic - similar in look and feel to melamine. I know brands in Germany and Switzerland so I imagine it must exist in the USA. It is VERY microwaveable and safe. However, curries and red and yellow food will stain it. It will stain less if you cook and eat in it but do NOT store in it. Also, if it stains, you can make a very light bleach solution and fill the plastic and put it in the sun for a bit. The stains disappear. My mom in the usa buys even cheaper "microwavable" plastics which she does wash and reuse for quite some time. Would this be out of your price range?

by Anonymousreply 222September 4, 2017 10:10 PM

R213, a great big thank you for that info!!!! That does it. I am saving my vintage made in USA stuff. In fact, maybe I will start to horde it. Thanks again!

by Anonymousreply 223September 4, 2017 10:18 PM

[quote] Are you people so feeble lifting a plate taxes you?

I am.

by Anonymousreply 224September 4, 2017 10:26 PM

There is a World Kitchen store in an outlet mall near me and I went there recently to get some plastic lids for Pyrex storage pieces I had bought years ago.

At some point World Kitchen stopped making the storage containers I owned ... and they stopped making replacement lids. I guess the idea was to force me to buy new glass food storage containers if I wanted lids.

The person who checked me out was the store manager. I said, "Look, you tell your district manager or anyone in management where this will do any good that when they pull stunts like this no replacement lid business and when they stop using tempered borosilicate glass and substitute less durable and cheaper soda lime glass, it pisses off longtime Pyrex owners like me. You tell them that Anchor Hocking makes glass storage out of soda lime glass and they are MUCH cheaper than Pyrex. Are they trying to lose customers?" I asked.

Just so DLers can know the difference, borosicate glass is perfectly clear. Soda lime glass has a greenish cast. This is readily apparent when the two types are placed side by side.

by Anonymousreply 225September 4, 2017 10:49 PM

Cook for three or four people and shift around the heavy ceramic or porcelein dishes and it become a pain in the butt fast. And then the "helpers" throwing the stuff with a crash onto the sink. My Mikimotos can only withstand so much clutching in an evening.

by Anonymousreply 226September 4, 2017 10:54 PM

R225 - MARY!!!

by Anonymousreply 227September 4, 2017 11:04 PM

Corelle test....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228September 4, 2017 11:04 PM

OP, your set is perfect - for lying cheating assholes who fuck meth-heads on business trips!

While it brought joy to throw down my cheating boyfriend's Homer Laughlin, I did have to pull a decorative (really?) oar off his wall to completely smash the set.

by Anonymousreply 229September 4, 2017 11:05 PM

OP's dishes are an abomination.

Square plates and square-toed shoes (on men) are dreadfully tacky and should never be looked at directly, much less purchased.

by Anonymousreply 230September 4, 2017 11:07 PM

It's something John PMBT's dragon lady mother would own, and use to serve quality takeout to her lesbian lover, yet forbid John to use, down in the basement with his father. Before John moved out and bought himself some melamine plates and bowls on clearance at Target.

by Anonymousreply 231September 4, 2017 11:09 PM

R212 We also had those when I was a kid. Thanks for the memory.

What's the story behind them? Do you know who manufactured them?

by Anonymousreply 232September 4, 2017 11:15 PM

I never liked those aluminum tumblers. They always seemed to make things taste metallic, even though it was probably just my imagination. And they got very cold to the touch when filled with iced beverages.

by Anonymousreply 233September 4, 2017 11:18 PM

r225 - I hope you delivered your diatribe in the manner of Julia Sugarbaker. I imagine that you did.

r226 _ You shouldn't shift around the heavy ceramic or porcelein (aka porcelain) dishes with your ass.

r232 - Google anodized aluminum collectibles

by Anonymousreply 234September 4, 2017 11:35 PM

I hate those aluminium cups.

I don't mind old enamelled tin though.

by Anonymousreply 235September 4, 2017 11:39 PM

My uncle served from those cups all the time. They'd stick together. He died of Alzheimer's.

by Anonymousreply 236September 4, 2017 11:44 PM

I hate those aluminum tumblers, too. My grandparents had them. I took a drink out of one as a kid and part of my lower lip stayed on the tumbler when I removed my mouth.

by Anonymousreply 237September 4, 2017 11:54 PM

You and me both, r53. My family had the same set as OP/r7 above. I remember they were seconds. If you look closely, the pattern on most of them have a broken seam instead of going in a continuous circle. They also had the label on the underside scratched off. But my mother was proud of them as it brought us out of eating from plastic (melamine, I was to find out later). We were still using them when I moved out as an adult.

I was responsible for the one time I remember one of those dishes broke. My ice cream was getting all melty, so I put the bowl in the freezer. I guess it wasn't sitting snugly in there, so when I opened the freezer half an hour later, the bowl fell to the floor and shattered. Everyone who saw what happened, and I mean everyone, rushed to hide the evidence so my mother wouldn't know. She later found out, of course, and I didn't have the heart to tell her that her unbreakable dishes can break after all.

by Anonymousreply 238September 4, 2017 11:55 PM

Whenever I buy Corelle pieces at flea markets and thrift stores, I always make sure that the mark at the bottom of the plate says "Corelle by Corning". If it says "Corelle Vitrelle", it is made by World Kitchen and, thus, is made of inferior, thinner glass. I only buy near mint, almost no scratches, and no discoloration (especially on rims) because of dishwasher use. The prices are still a steal at flea markets but the prices of Corning Corelles on eBay have started to creep up.

I do not know how to tell if a Pyrex bowl is made by World Kitchen. I have to research this. My most recent good flea market find was a mint 4-piece Pyrex sunflower pattern Cinderella bowl set which I got at the SF Alemany flea market for $18 (vendor originally quote $20).

by Anonymousreply 239September 4, 2017 11:59 PM

Ina Garten said in an interview that the nice white plates and dishes she uses at her Hampton home and TV show are from France - Apilco brand. I found them at Williams Sonoma. They are pricey. I may have to stick to Corelle.

by Anonymousreply 240September 5, 2017 12:05 AM

Only in Datalounge will you find a discussion / thread on Corelle dinner plates and patterns with 240 comments in less than 2 days.

Keep it up Dataloungers!

by Anonymousreply 241September 5, 2017 12:11 AM

One of my fond memories as a kid was my grandmother (whose set of aluminum tumblers I still have) making me a cold drink and always wrapping a paper towel around it before she handed it to me so my little paws wouldn't get cold. I also have the matching pitcher.

Those aluminum tumblers were strictly for outdoor use in my family. My grandmother would never let me have anything made of glass when I was very young because she knew I would drop it break it.

I don't know where they came from back in those days. I do have a slight memory of seeing them in the grocery store my mother shopped at back in the early 60's. My mother hated them and that's why I ended up with them when my grandmother died.

by Anonymousreply 242September 5, 2017 12:11 AM

And by the way, you can buy them at Amazon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243September 5, 2017 12:14 AM

R201 Those Metlox California Contemporary disehes are works of art.

by Anonymousreply 244September 5, 2017 12:15 AM

You need to get the matching iced tea spoons r242.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245September 5, 2017 12:16 AM

You use a rebel, OP!

by Anonymousreply 246September 5, 2017 12:19 AM

R243 I love those colorful aluminum tumblers. My childhood friend's family had them. During hot summer day playdates, we filled them up with water, put them in the fridge, and voila, you had ice cold water in no time.

by Anonymousreply 247September 5, 2017 12:23 AM

I have some plain white Corelle at home, and at our beach house. It's perfectly fine - don't let anyone tell you otherwise if you like it yourself.

by Anonymousreply 248September 5, 2017 12:26 AM

I agree r244.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249September 5, 2017 12:32 AM

Oh, to be able to afford some Clarice Cliff!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250September 5, 2017 12:41 AM

The only thing I don't like with the Corelle French White pattern is the plate has a flat surface throughout. It makes the plate look plain. I like the Corelle patterns where the surface at it nears the rim gets elevated. Just my opinion and preference.

by Anonymousreply 251September 5, 2017 12:59 AM

Thank you for that info on different types of glass, R225.

by Anonymousreply 252September 5, 2017 1:17 AM

Thank you, R239, for the info.

by Anonymousreply 253September 5, 2017 2:00 AM

For every day plates, I highly recommend the Williams Sonoma everyday dinnerware in white. I've been using them 14 years, still look great and they are even oven safe.

I just broke a Corelle bowl yesterday, it really does shatter uniquely.

by Anonymousreply 254September 5, 2017 2:22 AM

[quote] Those Metlox California Contemporary disehes are works of art.

I agree.

by Anonymousreply 255September 5, 2017 2:36 AM

It's that time of the year to bring my Franciscan Ware "October" pattern out of my dish pantry to be featured in my glass fronted kitchen display cabinets. I love its warm, muted autumnal colors.

I have a bit of a dinnerware obsession and when I had my new house built I had a 12X12 walk in dish room designed into the kitchen plan to house all my vintage Franciscan and other patterns.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256September 5, 2017 2:53 AM

[quote] have a bit of a dinnerware obsession and when I had my new house built I had a 12X12 walk in dish room designed into the kitchen plan to house all my vintage Franciscan and other patterns.

Whatever for?

by Anonymousreply 257September 5, 2017 3:02 AM

[quote]Who would have a big brand name emblazoned on the "front" of each plate?

Pretentious hipsters?

by Anonymousreply 258September 5, 2017 3:08 AM

re 239 i have the same set. Love the colors. I like Friendship pattern too. I have a ton of fridge sets and casseroles too in numerous patterns.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259September 5, 2017 3:30 AM

R225, how many sibilant "s" sounds and lisps did you manage to get in during your tirade?

by Anonymousreply 260September 5, 2017 3:40 AM

I love all thr vintage pyrex patterns. i was excited when I saw them bringing back some until i noted they were made in China...bitch please!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261September 5, 2017 3:47 AM

R259 Thanks for posting those gorgeous Pyrex Cinderella stacking bowls (sunflower pattern). I love the colors. They retail on eBay at over $100+. I took a good picture (jpg) of the bowls I got at the flea market but it was too much hassle to post it on DL (i.e, I have to post it first to a url and then copy to DL). You saved me the trouble.

My mother and sister have the Corelle Friendship pattern. They both love the flowers in pastel colors.

by Anonymousreply 262September 5, 2017 4:39 AM

I attended a potluck at my gay friendly Catholic parish. I made potato salad and put it on my large blue and white Amish pattern Pyrex bowl. When it was time to go home, the bowl was no where to be found.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263September 5, 2017 5:03 AM

R256. I didn't realize that there is a Franciscan Ware "October" pattern. I am familiar with the ubiquitous "Summer Rose", "Desert Rose" and even "Ivy". I love the autumnal colors of the leaves.

I envy your dish pantry. My dream house will have a dish / china pantry, a food pantry, and a small electrics pantry. And a dungeon... for after dinner delights :-)

by Anonymousreply 264September 5, 2017 5:14 AM

So if I find harvest gold Corelle on eBay, is it an older set by Corning? Or did the new owner also make Corelle in the same color?

by Anonymousreply 265September 5, 2017 5:59 AM

OMG! I get the correlation. Any roomate is college or later that had pieces of Corell were extremely low rent. Even if educated up the wazoo, they always had that Corell piece they inherited. Worst one is the brown beige, yellowish hue on white. These people exude stunted emotions and come from dysfunctional homes.

This should be a checklist of Hare's psychopathy scale. Come with Corell follows lack of empathy as a negative trait.

I can't even look up the pattern. I myself love the feel of Corell but the service ware should be a simple eggshell white. No exceptions.

by Anonymousreply 266September 5, 2017 8:06 AM

Sorry OP, I see you've already referenced that horrible yellow hued pattern. Man is that shit depressing, right? Your mind immediately goes to here comes 3rd rate. No upward mobility there.

by Anonymousreply 267September 5, 2017 8:09 AM

French amber sunflower pattern by Vereco. 60's, 70's. Keep it out of the dishwasher and it stays gorgeous forever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268September 5, 2017 8:10 AM

R7 and OP forgive me for not reading the thread before I answered. Yes! That suicide feeling pattern. My mom wasn't much of a mom but at least she had taste and class. We dined off of fine china every day. A lower end version of the stuff in the cabinets but at least not Corelle. I do actually like the Corelle texture and viscosity. Found it so later in life.

by Anonymousreply 269September 5, 2017 8:14 AM

Why that is perfectly fine, I suppose

by Anonymousreply 270September 5, 2017 8:46 AM

[quote] I made potato salad and put it on my large blue and white Amish pattern Pyrex bowl. When it was time to go home, the bowl was no where to be found

So sorry to hear that baby, hope you can find a replacement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271September 5, 2017 9:34 AM

If Sheridan knew we ate off Corelle he'd be appalled. Oh God, Richard, we mustn't let anyone know. Sigh. I told Daisy not to marry Onslow. First Corelle, what next?

by Anonymousreply 272September 5, 2017 9:44 AM

R261, thank you for the link.

by Anonymousreply 273September 5, 2017 9:45 AM

Only $7.49!! Any guesses as to which year this ad is from?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274September 5, 2017 9:48 AM

by Anonymousreply 275September 5, 2017 10:04 AM

[quote] I attended a potluck at my gay friendly Catholic parish.

It was a soupluck not a potluck.

by Anonymousreply 276September 5, 2017 12:53 PM

264 posts about Corelle?

STOP THE MADNESS!

by Anonymousreply 277September 5, 2017 1:34 PM

R274 1965

by Anonymousreply 278September 5, 2017 1:34 PM

R275 wrong

R278 wrong

by Anonymousreply 279September 5, 2017 1:38 PM

I had two sets of these Pyrex mixing bowls, one inherited from my mother's mother. Both of the green ones broke. I gave the big yellow bowl to a friend. I think I gave her the rest of the set, and eventually gave away the others, one by one. I may have one of the blue bowls. I used to make tuna fish in it, but the sound of the fork against the Pyrex drove me crazy. I like using stainless steel mixing bowls better. I don't have any of the Pyrex anymore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280September 5, 2017 1:43 PM

R274. A four-piece near mint Cinderella nesting bowl set can cost from $200 to $350+ on eBay exclusive of shipping fees.

by Anonymousreply 281September 5, 2017 1:55 PM

R265. Ask the eBay seller if the mark at the bottom of the plate says "Corelle by Corning". If not, the plate was probably made by the new manufacturer, World Kitchen.

I do think the Harvest Gold pattern has been retired.

by Anonymousreply 282September 5, 2017 2:04 PM

R125 needs this. There are cheaper versions at markets and probably Home Depot. Home Goods and sometimes Tuesday Morning have prettier ones sometimes for a better price too. Or try Big Lots.

I have a couple of elderly relatives with RA so I've been through this. Fiestaware is double fired so it's harder to break. Bauer Pottery is made in California. It's single fired to produce those rich colors and chips easily. I have both. I've dropped Fiesta on porcelain tile and it's usually two or three pieces plus smaller chips. I've dropped it in the sink and banged it on the granite counters and it doesn't even chip. It also can go in the freezer, microwave, dishwasher and in the oven up to about 350 degrees I think, except for the ovenware which goes to 500 degrees. Also, it's sold open stock so you can buy a few pieces at a time. Check Craigslist too.

Anything after 1980 is lead free (all dishes, not just Fiesta). You can look up the Fiesta colors to see which colors are after 1980.

The one exception is Chinese products, they have no regulations and supposed to be tested but they don't catch everything. The Chinese bought a lot of American name brands and ran them into the ground so make sure you know what you're getting. There are a lot of stories about Chinese Pyrex violently exploding in the microwave, leaving tiny chips everywhere.

If you're not sure about lead content, you can go to Home Depot and get a lead testing kit and if it's positive, the sample will turn pink or red in a couple of minutes or less. This applies to floor tile also, don't buy vintage tile. Buy new reproductions. If you like the vintage look in ceramic dinnerware, there are lots of reproduction patterns. Or buy one piece and test it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283September 5, 2017 2:06 PM

Alice Waters of Chez Panisse prefers Heath Ceramics over Corelle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284September 5, 2017 2:13 PM

I was laughing at the people using the old aluminum tumblers when I looked down and realized I'm still using my parents' old Imperial stainless flatware. It's called "Star Time" and must be close to 50 years old. Sturdy as hell, but hard to find regular forks for -- you usually only see the ugly kind with the splayed-out tongs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285September 5, 2017 2:14 PM

Are all of you living in some kind of weird gay trailer park?

by Anonymousreply 286September 5, 2017 2:23 PM

r263 - The Amish Butterprint pattern is very popular on eBay. They also made it in a golden yellow that brings in big $$$. Anyone know why the Cinderella bowls are called Cinderella bowls? Are they the kind of bowl Cindy put the lentils in that she had to pick out of the ashes? Hee-hee.

by Anonymousreply 287September 5, 2017 2:27 PM

R265, the harvest gold Corelle has been retired, as have been most of the early designs, if not all of them, so what you found was highly likely to be used - if it matched this one, anyway:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288September 5, 2017 2:31 PM

Like these, R53?

The beautiful anodized colors-I loved to look at 'em, but didn't like the feel of them. Mom got them in the 50s and she still has them. I don't think they've been used since the Nixon years.i

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289September 5, 2017 2:37 PM

Corella in the kitchen cabinet and sanitas on the kitchen wall = the height of working class modernity in the early 1970s. Plus......we heard there was a new cooking technology scientists were coming up with -- an "oven" that could sit atop a counter and cook your food in a fraction of the time! And it wouldn't make your kitchen hot the way an oven could.

by Anonymousreply 290September 5, 2017 2:38 PM

Martha Steward is an obsessive collector of Jadeite milk glass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291September 5, 2017 2:39 PM

What's Sanitas, R290?

by Anonymousreply 292September 5, 2017 2:40 PM

Oops, Martha Stewart, mean...

by Anonymousreply 293September 5, 2017 2:41 PM

R292 It's some kind of vinyl wallpaper that was supposedly more sanitary than regular. It was huge in the '60s and '70s.

by Anonymousreply 294September 5, 2017 2:53 PM

Just looking at Corelle triggers my gag reflex so I'm thinking something sordid must have happened in the kitchen with Uncle Eddie.

by Anonymousreply 295September 5, 2017 5:46 PM

Does anyone know what R295 is talking about?

by Anonymousreply 296September 5, 2017 6:09 PM

I use Corelle as my everyday dinnerware. Anyone saying Corelle is trash is just holding over something from the 70's. They're practical and very very easy to clean.

by Anonymousreply 297September 5, 2017 6:13 PM

Its trashy and, dear god, the noise.

by Anonymousreply 298September 5, 2017 6:16 PM

[quote]I use Corelle as my everyday dinnerware. Anyone saying Corelle is trash is just holding over something from the '70s. They're practical and very very easy to clean.

The only things I "hold over" from the '70s, r297, are my Linda Ronstadt albums.

by Anonymousreply 299September 5, 2017 6:16 PM

Just so you all know, I've had more WW in this thread than I've ever had before! All because I bought some Correlle.

by Anonymousreply 300September 5, 2017 6:18 PM

I did coke off Corelle at Studio 54. LOVE it! The coke I mean.

by Anonymousreply 301September 5, 2017 6:18 PM

You just got another, R300. Oh, and just one R, dear.

by Anonymousreply 302September 5, 2017 6:20 PM

Thank you, R302. And yes, I noticed the spelling error too late.

by Anonymousreply 303September 5, 2017 6:22 PM

R300. I am having a senior moment, OP. What does WW stand for?

by Anonymousreply 304September 5, 2017 6:26 PM

I just sent you one, R304.

by Anonymousreply 305September 5, 2017 6:28 PM

WW = Wit and Wisdom, R304.

by Anonymousreply 306September 5, 2017 6:28 PM

I love Homer Laughlin's Epicure, but I never come across it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 307September 5, 2017 6:30 PM

Got this off Amazon questions. And I was all set to order some! Now I don't know?

Is this set lead free? Did anyone test these dishes to see if these are lead free? I would like to know before purchasing. Thank you Answer: This is what I found on the Corelle website about lead content: "Do Corelle products contain lead? All Corelle stoneware products and glazes are made of clay-based materials and glazes used throughout the industry. Decorations, if present, are made from low-lead enamels and fired at temperatures exceeding 1000 degrees F, which binds any heavy metals both physically and chemically so that their release is minimized. The current limit for presence of leachable lead in order to satisfy certain requirements is no more than 0.100 ppm (1 tenth of one part per million) when obtained under test conditions. At no time have World Kitchens results exceeded levels permissible under the guidelines mentioned above (which are believed to be the most stringent in the world). Tests for the presence of heavy metals are conducted for World Kitchen by internationally certified, third-party laboratories under strict conditions, by trained technicians, and using atomic absorption spectrophotometry analysis following carefully monitored preparation. These steps are necessary to minimize any possibility of contamination or false reading during preparation, testing or analysis." I have a set of Corelle dishes that I've been using for over 25 years. I recently tested it for lead and the painted pattern, though much faded, showed quite a bit of lead to my great concern. The plate itself near the pattern showed a slight amount. The painted rim around the bowls tested positive, but the inside of the bowls showed none. I am horrified and have stopped using the plates. When I called the company about it, they said it was possible that older sets contain more lead than the newer ones. I love Corelle dishes and am looking for a new set, but they will be white with no painted patterns on them for my own peace of mind. I called the company again today and was told that that answer about lead refers to the stoneware mugs, and that the Corelle dishes themselves shouldn't contain any traces of lead. I'm still going to go with all white dishes, though. see less By dayspring on February 3, 2017

by Anonymousreply 308September 5, 2017 6:35 PM

R308 hates us.

by Anonymousreply 309September 5, 2017 7:00 PM

Sanitas is vinyl wallpaper with adhesive backing. Much easier to put up than regular wallpaper, which in those days needed wallpaper paste. My grandmother used to help my mother put up wallpaper. She made the paste and they swabbed it on the back of the wallpaper, then used a big brush to stick the wallpaper to the wall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310September 5, 2017 7:09 PM

Katharine Hepburn's family, the Houghtons, founded Corning Glass Works in the late 1800s. Corning made the lowly Corelle and the high-end Steuben glass, among others.

But she didn't use Corelle at her Saybrook estate. However, she had a number of Steuben glass pieces on display with her four Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 311September 5, 2017 7:20 PM

The first time I ever saw my parents fight, it was when they tried putting up wallpaper. Eventually, they called a professional, but it was fun to watch them shriek in the meantime.

by Anonymousreply 312September 5, 2017 7:23 PM

r311 - There was a woman on Antiques Roadshow the other night with a gorgeous green Steuben vase from the 20's.

by Anonymousreply 313September 5, 2017 7:34 PM

You can still buy Corelle box sets at the gift shop of the Corning Museum of Glass in Corning, New York even though Corelle is no longer made by the Corning Glass Company.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314September 5, 2017 7:40 PM

OP, your set is lovely.

by Anonymousreply 315September 5, 2017 7:43 PM

Need proof that the new Corelles made by World Kitchen can withstand abuse? Just watch this You Tube video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 316September 5, 2017 7:57 PM

French pyrex is still cheap and great. Have the prices gone up in the USA? Why would one buy Chinese glass?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 317September 5, 2017 8:15 PM

Gay trailer park indeed! I didn't even know what Corelle was til I opened this thread and saw some of the ugliest crockery known to man. What's up with that? It's not like most of you have five kids to cook and clean up after or can't afford some decent china. White porcelain restaurant wear for everyday, inherited Limoges for holidays here.

by Anonymousreply 318September 5, 2017 8:50 PM

How are Corelle oyster plates? One must have a decent set.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 319September 5, 2017 9:17 PM

Smell Miss R318 with her "inherited Limoges' ! I got rid of granny's Limoge a long time ago. It ate up too much storage,it was incredibly fragile,and theres only about 50 billion sets of that crap out there.

by Anonymousreply 320September 5, 2017 9:19 PM

Sotheby's claimed by Russian porcelain plates from the Grand Duke Alexander Nikolaevich are quite rare. Was I ripped off? My middle name is Alexandrer and why not a frivolous indulgence like these?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 321September 5, 2017 9:24 PM

I remember that sanitas was also supposed to come off much more easily than wallpaper. They claimed it peeled right off the wall when you wanted to remove it.

Hahaha. Nope. It didn't

And I always thought it was called SaniTest. Didn't find out what it was actually called until someone on Datalounge pointed it out.

by Anonymousreply 322September 5, 2017 9:46 PM

[qiuote]Are all of you living in some kind of weird gay trailer park?

Yes, and we have vacant lots available.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323September 5, 2017 10:44 PM

[quote]My middle name is Alexandrer

Was it French or English she couldn't spell it in?

by Anonymousreply 324September 6, 2017 2:13 AM

R320, I let my sister have my "inherited Limoges" (it had been our grandmother's, then our mother's). I hate that flowery shit.

by Anonymousreply 325September 6, 2017 2:15 AM

What flowery shit? White with gold edges. My Limoges looks fantastic on my holiday table, reminds us all of happy childhood Christmases and my two nieces and one nephew (!) have asked for it after I am gone.

by Anonymousreply 326September 6, 2017 6:51 AM

[quote]White porcelain restaurant wear for everyday, inherited Limoges for holidays here.

I've never seen any Limoges that hasn't been gaudy, flowery granny china. What's with all the gold? Do you have gold flatware to match R 318?

Hate to break it to you R326, but your niece and nephew are humoring you. I've said the same to my mother about some of the things I know she holds dear. But it will all be donated (or thrown in a grease fire) when she passes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327September 6, 2017 7:14 AM

My parents still use the navy pattern from R47 (?too far up the thread). I have the all white Corelle, as the patterns annoy me. I also have a set of clay/pottery style plates, and a hideous red rose China collection I'll inherit. Who didn't have that set back in the day. I always liked the blue roses. Nobody asked me, and now I'll look ungrateful. No one comes over for tea anyway.

by Anonymousreply 328September 6, 2017 7:18 AM

Just remember those now old geezers with their porcelain addiction. Could have bought a 3rd car or a high end 2nd car. A house on the water all due to tsockes. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 329September 6, 2017 7:38 AM

The pattern is similar to this one. But you're right, a quick search showed most are flowery. Re nieces and nephews - hopefully at least one of them was serious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330September 6, 2017 8:05 AM

Best thread ever.

by Anonymousreply 331September 6, 2017 8:58 AM

I relied heavily on Chinet to meet my entertaining obligations during the season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 332September 6, 2017 10:24 AM

Those of the highest "class" (ludicrous concept) inherit their china and silver. All the rest of us buy it. It really doesn't matter what brand it is or what the designs are or aren't; those of us who purchase rather than inherit those things are considered low-class. Attempts by the lower classes to create divisions based on brand, design, etc. are viewed with amusement and perhaps a pang of pity by the upper class.

by Anonymousreply 333September 6, 2017 10:51 AM

Plenty of middle class have passed questionably "heirloom" china down the generations.

by Anonymousreply 334September 6, 2017 11:00 AM

Of the people under the age of 60 whoI have known who have had delightful service, they have been

a) gay men - who hare amassed their collections themselves. no great wealth required

b) extremely wealthy Middle Eastern types who had a combination of great taste + the budget to buy the best luxury+taste available

c) old money Europeans who raid the cupboards at a family Schloss.

There aren't very many in the c) who are straight because rich straight people for the most part are uninterested in this heritage. Just like middle class kids don't want the "heirlooms" , either.

by Anonymousreply 335September 6, 2017 11:07 AM

Idiot, R333. I'm solidly middle class and have a ton of inherited china and crystal from two aunts and my grandmother. All sitting in the basement. No one wants to use that shit anymore.

by Anonymousreply 336September 6, 2017 11:09 AM

Limoges Porcelain Identification Guide (Flowers? Us, flowers?):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337September 6, 2017 1:22 PM

I don't like china with "busy" designs and I think people who select busy designs have poor breeding and bad taste ... just saying.

by Anonymousreply 338September 6, 2017 1:27 PM

[quote] whoI have known who have had

by Anonymousreply 339September 6, 2017 1:32 PM

[quote]A house on the water all due to tsockes.

What?

by Anonymousreply 340September 6, 2017 1:41 PM

If one MUST go plastic, there's really only ONE choice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 341September 6, 2017 1:45 PM

R340, I'm thinking he couldn't spell "tchotchkes."

by Anonymousreply 342September 6, 2017 1:47 PM

However, you clowns probably haven't been weaned off this pattern.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 343September 6, 2017 1:49 PM

Those clowns are adorable.

by Anonymousreply 344September 6, 2017 1:52 PM

I hate clowns.

by Anonymousreply 345September 6, 2017 1:57 PM

Send in the clowns!

by Anonymousreply 346September 6, 2017 2:14 PM

A mish mash of correlle is in the cabinet along with Tienshan and others.

by Anonymousreply 347September 6, 2017 2:37 PM

Generally in fine homes flowered china is used to serve breakfast, gold/silver rimmed solid white for dinner.

by Anonymousreply 348September 6, 2017 2:57 PM

[quote] Formal dreaa for dinner S?

by Anonymousreply 349September 6, 2017 3:22 PM

R349, it is clear R348 does not hail from one of the "fine homes" she describes.

by Anonymousreply 350September 6, 2017 3:24 PM

r350 = Obese self-loathing effeminate queen uneducated in Continental ways.

by Anonymousreply 351September 6, 2017 4:42 PM

Gunfight at the OK Corelle

by Anonymousreply 352September 6, 2017 8:15 PM

"The Good, the Bad and the Corelle"

by Anonymousreply 353September 6, 2017 8:19 PM

I really love my Corelle pattern - "Garden Row". I bought 2 bozes for a total of 8 place settings at Price Club in the late 1980s. I still use them daily and they still look like new. I guess handwashing them helps.

The pattern is quite rare. I seldom see them on eBay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 354September 6, 2017 9:41 PM

Youse can buy it at the Mart. And I know most of you shop at the Walmart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 355September 6, 2017 9:53 PM

I do not EVER shop at Wally Mart. EWWWWWWWW. Why subject yourself to that hell if you can just press a few buttons on Amazon and like magic have everything show up at your front door in a day or so?

by Anonymousreply 356September 6, 2017 10:11 PM

R351 Oh..."dreaa" is [italic]Continental[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 357September 6, 2017 11:03 PM

[quote]Yes, and we have vacant lots available.

Good, I'd love to move my Cavco [italic]Micro[/italic] to Plam Springs. I won't be much trouble, really.

by Anonymousreply 358September 7, 2017 3:19 AM

I worked for the design firm that created all the packaging for Corelle and Pyrex they sent us so much product that by the time I left the firm I had a complete service of both products. I had the Corelle Blue Corn Flower pattern and the Pyrex pattern with multicolored flowers, I don't remember the name of the pattern. After a few years I realized I rarely used either so I gave everything to my lesbian niece who was thrilled to get it.

by Anonymousreply 359September 7, 2017 9:45 AM

I'm impressed with my white Corelle lunch plates that I use in my microwave. Good quality and low price.

They are the perfect size and shape and have replaced my adored LeMenu plates that slowly wore out over time.

These are the only Corelle pieces I own.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 360September 7, 2017 12:01 PM

[quote] After a few years I realized I rarely used either so I gave everything to my lesbian niece who was thrilled to get it.

Does she use it for shooting practice?

by Anonymousreply 361September 7, 2017 12:16 PM

I love these small Corelle rice bowls. They are perfect for individual servings of rice just like in Chinese restaurants. And they're perfect for ice cream too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 362September 7, 2017 1:58 PM

If you have an Airbnb rental, should you stock up your kitchen cupboards with Corelle pieces? I'm corcerned my paying guests will find them cheap, and, thus, negatively comment about them when they rate the rental.

by Anonymousreply 363September 7, 2017 2:12 PM

Friends owned a rental on the Outer Banks and they always stocked the kitchen of their beach house with Corelle for their renters to use.

by Anonymousreply 364September 7, 2017 2:19 PM

Here is mine! I bought one set in the blue { the one Bobbi Ray is holding } and a set of all white. I stack the one blue and one white. LOVE THEM!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 365September 7, 2017 2:27 PM

^Nice!

by Anonymousreply 366September 7, 2017 2:32 PM

Lasagnable Corelle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 367September 7, 2017 4:52 PM

R367, see R365.

by Anonymousreply 368September 7, 2017 5:14 PM

R368, see R368.

by Anonymousreply 369September 7, 2017 5:16 PM

BR549 see BEECHWOOD45789

by Anonymousreply 370September 7, 2017 5:32 PM

I prefer Zoo Pals paperware, myself, but to each his own.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 371September 7, 2017 7:21 PM

R371 is both adorable and toxic looking and probably one reason the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

by Anonymousreply 372September 7, 2017 7:34 PM

[quote] prefer Zoo Pals paperware, myself, but to each his own.

Did you buy a Zoo! Pals?

by Anonymousreply 373September 7, 2017 7:35 PM

WTF are those things at R362?

They look like some old-time hospital receptacle designed to collect feces samples.

by Anonymousreply 374September 7, 2017 7:43 PM

They do have a touch of former and future fecality about them, don't they, R374?

by Anonymousreply 375September 7, 2017 7:52 PM

Just don't serve me rice in those things. Please.

by Anonymousreply 376September 7, 2017 7:54 PM

They're not ricey-looking.

by Anonymousreply 377September 7, 2017 7:55 PM

Corelle gives you The Alzheimer's.

by Anonymousreply 378September 7, 2017 8:00 PM

Ignore the typical DL bitchiest, OP. The only thing that REALLY matters is that YOU like the Corelle dinnerware set. If the set makes you feel that bad, don't use if for guests, take out your 'special' dishes. East-peasey.

I have a wonderful English ironstone set by Meakin which I've been using for years. The entire set was just $45! I could give a shit what my guests think. If ppl are that ridiculous about my dishes, they're not my friends to begin with.

Over the years, I broke a few pieces. I looked to replace them, apparently this set is now worth much more, it's collectible. Someone at eBay wanted $30 just for the small creamer! That gave me a huge laugh!

by Anonymousreply 379September 7, 2017 8:12 PM

Which one, R379?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 380September 7, 2017 8:16 PM

[quote] East-peasey.y

East-Egg.

by Anonymousreply 381September 7, 2017 8:17 PM

So - was someone talking about this.....looks nice. I wonder how heavy it is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 382September 7, 2017 8:35 PM

I had Italian dinnerware somewhat like that in the '70s, Bormioli Oxford. I gave it to my father when I bought my next set. Actually, I've given a number of sets of dishes to my good friends. I'm a dish queen. What can I say?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 383September 7, 2017 8:41 PM

[quote] I'm a dish queen.

Is dish the "same" thing as "tea" on DL?

by Anonymousreply 384September 7, 2017 8:47 PM

No, R384. Not in my case. Tea is a beverage to be drunk hot or cold. Gossip is gossip.

by Anonymousreply 385September 7, 2017 8:48 PM

Thank you, R385. I want to give you a hug.

Virtual hug to R385.

by Anonymousreply 386September 7, 2017 8:50 PM

R380, my set is called Stratford Stage. It's a brown design on white. Very basic and very sturdy. This similar design also came in a dark pinkish/peach and a royal blue.

Here it is. This small dessert plate is much less than the creamer I saw last year on eBay. Considering what I paid for the entire set of six place settings, plus a large serving plate, a sugar bowl, a creamer and a large serving bowl, I still think the prices per piece on eBay are a bit ridiculous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 387September 7, 2017 8:51 PM

I keep forgetting that r378.

Back in the 70's I saw Julia Meade in Move Over, Mrs. Markham. Getting her to sign my program afterwards I told her I wished I'd brought a Chinet paper plate for her to sign. If looks could kill........

by Anonymousreply 388September 7, 2017 8:53 PM

I love my Basic white dinnerware from Crate & Barrel.

by Anonymousreply 389September 7, 2017 8:56 PM

R387, that's, erm, busy.

by Anonymousreply 390September 7, 2017 8:56 PM

[quote]Back in the 70's I saw Julia Meade in Move Over, Mrs. Markham. Getting her to sign my program afterwards ...

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 391September 7, 2017 8:57 PM

Here's an entire 52 place setting, which is likely what I had, 8 place settings, not 6.

The price is downright laughable, $349.99. I paid around $45! How does everyday glassware ever become this collectible?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 392September 7, 2017 8:59 PM

I have a huge collection of NEW (now old) Friendly Village. Its in storage in upstate New York. Why, I keep, asking myself, do I have collections of dinnerware and service pieces and vases and other ridiculous decor in the USA when I haven't lived there in 2 decades? Does anyone want about 3 dozen fine pieces of heavy Westmoreland milk glass? It would take a army destroyer to ship all my ridiculous collection to Europe. Sadly, I mothballed my yacht (as if) 2 decades ago as well, so can't transport it myself.

by Anonymousreply 393September 7, 2017 8:59 PM

Make me an offer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 394September 7, 2017 8:59 PM

You know, R387, people ask a certain price for things on eBay, but they don't necessarily get what they're asking for. I follow one line of dinnerware on eBay, and there are at least a dozen BUY IT NOWs that have been listed for at least six months, when I began looking. It never hurts to make an offer for less than the asking price. I sometimes wish eBay had never introduced BIN, because I used to get such bargains. Now, everyone acts like they're selling much finer merchandise than they actually are.

by Anonymousreply 395September 7, 2017 9:01 PM

I have 3 original 45s by the Corelles.

Are they worth anything?

by Anonymousreply 396September 7, 2017 9:02 PM

R392, how long ago did you buy it that it only cost $45? And did you buy it new, in a department store?

by Anonymousreply 397September 7, 2017 9:04 PM

I love you, R396.

by Anonymousreply 398September 7, 2017 9:05 PM

[quote] How does everyday glassware ever become this collectible?

The vulgarization of society?

First glassware, then the Kardshians, then Trump.

by Anonymousreply 399September 7, 2017 9:06 PM

I'd like to add I have few other sets, some moderately priced and others expensive. I also use my Fiesta ware daily, that's fun. I've always liked their cheerful colors, my mom still has her original set!

Some sets I got as gifts, others I inherited from relatives who had expensive tastes. I have a set by Villeroy & Boch, which a late aunt left me, she had tons of expensive and interesting glassware.

I think this is the design, it's boxed away, I haven't looked at it in years. This is going for $69 on eBay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 400September 7, 2017 9:07 PM

I hardly think that merits a MARY! r391. I was 17 and was a subscriber to that theater's season. It's not like I took a Julia Meade scrapbook I'd been compiling for years backstage for her to sign.

by Anonymousreply 401September 7, 2017 9:07 PM

R393 R394 Because young people are apparently no longer interested in owning dinnerware, and because it costs so much to ship, I found myself giving stuff away. I gave some to friends, and some to Habitat for Humanity, and have come to accept the fact that I like to shop.

by Anonymousreply 402September 7, 2017 9:09 PM

[quote]This is going for $69 on eBay.

Track it and see how long it takes to sell, R400.

by Anonymousreply 403September 7, 2017 9:10 PM

[quote][R392], how long ago did you buy it that it only cost $45? And did you buy it new, in a department store?

I bought the Meakin set new, sometime in the early 1980s, when I got my first apartment. Everything was much cheaper back then, including NYC rents! During that time, rents were actually commensurate to peoples actual salaries.

I think the price was also so low because I bought it at a store where only employees from certain companies were allowed to shop. I had a free membership through my job. IIRC, the store was near Madison Square Park. The store sold small appliances, decorative items, dinnerware sets and jewelry, a very odd mix!

by Anonymousreply 404September 7, 2017 9:18 PM

My grandma had the pale blue accented Corelle ware. We dropped that shit all over the house growing up, and it never broke.

I'm a green Fiesta-ware gurl, myself. Higher risk, higher class.

by Anonymousreply 405September 7, 2017 9:19 PM

Ohhhhhh...that explains it, R404. I doubt that it was actually that cheap at regular retail. How nice for you, though.

by Anonymousreply 406September 7, 2017 9:20 PM

[quote]I'm a green Fiesta-ware gurl, myself. Higher risk, higher class.

What shade of green?

by Anonymousreply 407September 7, 2017 9:21 PM

Juniper, R407

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 408September 7, 2017 9:25 PM

20th Century dish and glassware and clothing fascinates the archaeologist/sociologist in me. Everyday items that say so much about the times and the people living in them. During the Depression lines of brightly colored dishware were popular. Dishware that would not be out of place on Mickey and Minnie's table. Come the prosperous 50's and Fiesta adds somber gray, rose, maroon, and forest green. Also items are discontinued because people don't use them anymore, like cream soup bowls with lids.

by Anonymousreply 409September 7, 2017 9:26 PM

Love that, R408. I have a Juniper pitcher. I sold my stash of Juniper, but I kept the pitcher. I don't remember why.

by Anonymousreply 410September 7, 2017 9:30 PM

Thanks R410. It is pretty. I just noticed the chili bowls. I don't have those... hmmm, Christmas is coming....

by Anonymousreply 411September 7, 2017 9:32 PM

I almost bought Villeroy & Boch Amapola back in the early '80s. They had it at a restaurant in Adams-Morgan in DC, and I thought it was the prettiest thing I'd ever seen. But I'd already started buying Metlox Colorstax, and it wasn't the time in my life for multiple sets of dinnerware. And I didn't think about it again until an earlier DL DQ thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 412September 7, 2017 9:44 PM

Targé had some fabulous melamine designs, circa 2010

by Anonymousreply 413September 7, 2017 9:47 PM

Why melamine if it can't go in the microwave? And it doesn't age well.

by Anonymousreply 414September 7, 2017 9:49 PM

I like that spelling, R413. I usually go with "Tarzhay."

by Anonymousreply 415September 7, 2017 9:50 PM

[quote] Why melamine if it can't go in the microwave?

Will the Secret Service get involved in someone tries to put her in an oven?

by Anonymousreply 416September 7, 2017 9:52 PM

Prisoners on death row in Texas are served their last trashy meal on Corelle.

by Anonymousreply 417September 7, 2017 10:01 PM

by Anonymousreply 418September 7, 2017 10:12 PM

lol R416!

by Anonymousreply 419September 7, 2017 10:16 PM

Given that it shards r417, aren't they concerned about shivs?

by Anonymousreply 420September 7, 2017 10:24 PM

Shards is a verb?

by Anonymousreply 421September 7, 2017 10:26 PM

r421 - I decided if splinters could be a verb then so could shards.

by Anonymousreply 422September 7, 2017 10:30 PM

[quote]it wasn't the time in my life for multiple sets of dinnerware. And I didn't think about it again until an earlier DL DQ thread.

I was actually never a big dinner host. My partner and I would rather go out. I will admit to being a bit of a hoarder. That's why I have a more than a few dinnerware sets and other collectibles which I inherited. Even as a child, I was fascinated with glassware. I've always liked Fiestaware, years ago, I talked my mom out of giving away her set.

I started collecting pieces as a young teen, I'd go to the local SA and Goodwill, I'd buy glassware for 25¢ and up. I still have a nice collection of vintage creamers and sugar bowls. I love the Buffalo brand creamers at diners. I have a few of those too.

by Anonymousreply 423September 7, 2017 10:41 PM

Makes sense, R422.

by Anonymousreply 424September 7, 2017 10:55 PM

[quote] I was actually never a big dinner host

I like to entertain friend by ordering from Panera. No plates or "ware" of any kind needed.

by Anonymousreply 425September 7, 2017 10:56 PM

I hope the people of Miami secure their Corelles before they evacuate the area as Hurricane Irma nears. Those Corelles airborne could be quite deadly.

I seen You Tube videos were idiots throw them like frisbees over a grassy area. They do spin and travel far.

by Anonymousreply 426September 7, 2017 11:46 PM

I bought a service for 8 of Mid Century Modern Suisse Langenthal years ago at Pottery Barn. I use it every day and still love the design.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 427September 8, 2017 12:24 AM

Pier One's Luminous line is cheap, durable and clean-lined. It has been sold for many years; I buy the open stock pieces as I choose.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 428September 8, 2017 12:38 AM

I like those R427

by Anonymousreply 429September 8, 2017 5:10 AM

If you have a grand home and want the best, check out Richard Ginori.

Their website is laborious but if you go to "collezioni" at the top menu you can see their various collections. Their "bianco" collections are wonderful. Some of the stuff is old lady-isn but in a chic way. Others are classic and timeless.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 430September 8, 2017 8:14 AM

I'm glad you posted, R430. I usually don't care for anything that's even a little ornate, but I think the Vecchio Giorno is just beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 431September 8, 2017 12:21 PM

I use Johnson Brothers Windsor Ware "Garden Bouquet" and Adams Brothers "Lancaster" for my day to day china. My good China are two Haviland patterns, one pink floral and one browner floral. They are all inherited.

Below is my favorite of the Haviland patterns.i think it's more masculine than my fine china patterns

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 432September 8, 2017 12:48 PM

Oh dear god, masculine dinnerware patterns. Oh, I do hope my tea towels pass the masculinity test! I think the cast iron skillet is manly enough but copper 'bottoms' on the saucepans might be giving me away.

by Anonymousreply 433September 8, 2017 2:37 PM

r433 Isn't it time for your douche?

by Anonymousreply 434September 8, 2017 3:25 PM

I really like this vintage set. It goes well with the new kitchen I am moving in to in December. But I'm worried about the lead paint in vintage Corelle issue?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 435September 8, 2017 4:05 PM

You live in a kitchen, R435?

by Anonymousreply 436September 8, 2017 4:15 PM

Silly R436 No - the new kitchen in the new house we bought that is now being built. Somehow I ended up choosing a kitchen that all my blue and white kitchen accessories and dishes don't go with! I have Williams and Sonoma blue/white bistro dishes. They are heavy and nice. But would like something different now.

by Anonymousreply 437September 8, 2017 4:21 PM

I always thought I had grown up eating on corelle, but I just asked my mom & she said no those were Noritake Progression Mardi Gras plates... and she only got corelle in the late 80s or 90s. I feel like my whole life has been a lie now.

They still have most of the pieces too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 438September 8, 2017 6:05 PM

I bought glass plates for 99 cents each at Linens N things (before bankruptcy) 10 years ago. They were supposed to just fill a gap until I found some "real" dinner plates. Naturally, I still eat on them.

I have some corelle bowls from my parents house & dropped one by accident - and it basically broke down into atoms. I was still finding bits of it even as I was moving out of that place.

by Anonymousreply 439September 8, 2017 6:09 PM

SERENADE = Homer Laughlin's answer to Lu-Ray.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 440September 8, 2017 6:59 PM

I like dish threads even more than lasagne threads.

by Anonymousreply 441September 8, 2017 8:01 PM

Sorry to go a bit off-topic, but is bone china considered better or worse than regular china, whether in terms or durability, appearance, etc?

by Anonymousreply 442September 8, 2017 9:46 PM

Only when made with human bones.

by Anonymousreply 443September 8, 2017 9:49 PM

I've always been very partial to these.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 444September 8, 2017 9:51 PM

Forget making a successful cake unless you're using one of these.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 445September 8, 2017 10:01 PM

I LUV my Corelle. I sleep with one or two plates in my bed every night. Sometimes a platter.

by Anonymousreply 446September 8, 2017 10:11 PM

R444 Is that what you serve your Tuna Montezuma in?

by Anonymousreply 447September 8, 2017 11:15 PM

Richard Ginori with no pattern is good looking and found in church and local flea markets across Eastern France and Switzerland.

by Anonymousreply 448September 9, 2017 11:50 AM

Cowelle!

by Anonymousreply 449September 13, 2017 1:45 PM

R175 --I love that Jetsons retro look!

I use Wedgwood Countryside dinnerware for every day, they were given to me a house warming gift. I used to have those glass translucent ones, Duralex clear dinner plates/cups/saucers, which I thought far nicer than just having plain white dinnerware--- but when I moved, somehow the box they were in got lost. I'm tempted to get them again just for a change. White, on the other hand, does clash with loud neon-colored food and enhances things you may not want at all enhanced. Doesn't it ever get stained?

I've been buying Fiestaware lately---just cereal and pasta bowls. Such fabulous colors!

by Anonymousreply 450September 14, 2017 1:39 AM

[quote] I've been buying Fiestaware lately---just cereal and pasta bowls.

Are the pasta bowls wet or dry?

by Anonymousreply 451September 14, 2017 1:51 AM

If you're looking to make a statement, you just can't beat Calamityware.

"Each dinner plate features a different calamity—flying monkeys, giant robot, voracious sea monster and UFO invasion; pillaging pirates, an active volcano, creeping tentacles, and a landscape-sucking vortex; a plague of frogs, a jogging Sasquatch, a horde of brain-eating zombie poodles, and a menacing pterodactyl.

The bowls and small plates contain plump, black ants and flies. The mugs are identical but depict a plethora of calamities.

Designed by Don Moyer and produced at the award-winning Kristoff porcelain workshop in Poland using the in-glaze decoration process. "

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 452September 18, 2017 11:50 PM

R452, is the Dyatlov Pass incident on them? I'm not buying if it's not.

by Anonymousreply 453September 19, 2017 12:07 AM

Those are fabulous,R452 !

by Anonymousreply 454September 19, 2017 1:06 AM

I don't want to change the subject but I only recently heard about the Dyatlov Pass incident. It's truly fascinating and deserves it's own thread. Perhaps someone could start one?

by Anonymousreply 455September 19, 2017 8:19 AM

You start it, R455.

Back to our regularly scheduled topic: does anyone collect Noritake's Bambina? It looks like a nice mid-century pattern. I'm tempted. I first heard of Bambina when I read Shax Rigler's book DISH. They were the dishes that turned him into a dish queen. I wonder if the platinum wears off over time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 456September 19, 2017 2:26 PM

Shax Riegler's DISH (and its paperback equivalent, DISHES):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 457September 19, 2017 2:26 PM

R455, can you not start your own threads?

by Anonymousreply 458September 19, 2017 2:55 PM

R456 I had a service for 12 of the Sango Bamboo Knight pattern, which is probably a knockoff of that pattern.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 459September 19, 2017 8:51 PM

I'm the OP of this thread and wanted to let you all know that I received a compliment on my dishes at a recent get together!

by Anonymousreply 460September 20, 2017 1:30 AM

R460, get new friends.

by Anonymousreply 461September 20, 2017 1:36 AM

Can we use this as the official logo for this thread?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 462September 20, 2017 3:34 PM

This thread just shattered my preconceptions.

by Anonymousreply 463October 19, 2017 4:12 PM

Tell us more, R463.

by Anonymousreply 464October 19, 2017 4:14 PM

We use Corelle for outdoor dining; ours is white and patternless. We use Fiestaware for indoor/casual, and an antique bone china for formal occasions.

by Anonymousreply 465October 19, 2017 4:23 PM

Stinkfish

by Anonymousreply 466October 19, 2017 4:27 PM

r466 = TurdDish

by Anonymousreply 467October 19, 2017 5:47 PM

Just watched the Bones episode which involved the murder of a hoarder and a supposed "FIESTA" gnome made in 1941, with radioactive red glaze valued at $50,000. It's just SO WRONG on EVERY level! I know, I know.......

by Anonymousreply 468October 19, 2017 6:46 PM

I inherited a ton of depression glass from my grandmother. When she was young, during the depression, movie goers got a piece with every ticket. Later on she’d pick up odd pieces at yard sales and thrift shops. She usually chose green, but liked the dusty pink serving pieces. I also wound up with her, still in perfect shape, stainless daily use flatware with deep red bakelite handles, from the ‘20s and ‘30s. I’ve been offered small fortunes for them, but can’t let them go.

by Anonymousreply 469October 19, 2017 7:01 PM

Good for you, R469.

by Anonymousreply 470October 19, 2017 7:03 PM

Corelle dinner ware sets are still made in the U.S.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 471October 22, 2017 12:23 AM

R448, you are so right. I bought a dozen white Ginori dinner plates from BB&B. Great sale + free shipping over $50. Simply beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 472October 22, 2017 6:22 AM

R469 make sure whoever gets your things is aware of the value of those items. Would be a shame to have it end up donated or trashed because it "just looks like old stuff".

by Anonymousreply 473October 22, 2017 6:35 AM

Corelle is what people bought when they threw out their Melmac after daddy got a job and they left the projects.

by Anonymousreply 474October 26, 2017 12:03 AM

When my grandmother was a young mother she had to do almost all her shopping at thrift shops and such. This was in the 1920's, when styles were changing. Being frugal, she rarely tossed anything out, and tended to be a bit of a hoarder when finances allowed. When we went through her belongings at her death, it was like opening an antique treasure chest! I'll never get rid of that stuff!

by Anonymousreply 475October 26, 2017 3:19 PM

Blue Corelle

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 476September 6, 2018 12:40 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!