Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Handsome Devil

Just saw this on Netflix and I liked it. It's a very sweet, poignant, charming and funny coming of age film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49January 5, 2021 2:02 AM

Ned and Conor are forced to share a bedroom at their boarding school. The loner and the star athlete at this rugby-mad school form an unlikely friendship until it's tested by the authorities.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 3, 2017 3:27 AM

Fionn O'Shea and Nicholas Galitzine

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 3, 2017 3:28 AM

Follow the Crowd or Follow your Heart....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 3, 2017 3:29 AM

Sounds generic.

by Anonymousreply 4August 3, 2017 3:57 AM

Didn't realize this was on Netflix in the US. Gonna watch this later.

Better be a good gay movie

by Anonymousreply 5August 3, 2017 4:29 AM

Ok, I'll ask: is there any nudity?

by Anonymousreply 6August 3, 2017 4:33 AM

It was sweet....I balled, it made me think of bologna, so it made me horny.

by Anonymousreply 7August 3, 2017 6:04 AM

But is it a gay themed movie or is it just an 'unlikely friends' movie?

The preview ... I can't really tell. Could go either way.

by Anonymousreply 8August 3, 2017 6:05 AM

r8, gay themed with a graphic sex scene.

by Anonymousreply 9August 3, 2017 6:08 AM

Gay loser boy gets to suck off a hot jock. It's the same fucking story over and over again.

by Anonymousreply 10August 3, 2017 7:39 AM

What's the difference between this and [italic]Get Real[/italic]?

by Anonymousreply 11August 3, 2017 8:22 AM

It was entertaining; characters like the obvious bad guy (coach) or good guy (english teacher) are not the typical black & white characters, but both very flawed complex people.

by Anonymousreply 12August 3, 2017 8:27 AM

Thanks I have something to look forward this weekend.

by Anonymousreply 13August 3, 2017 9:30 AM

Spoilers - - - It's a very sweet movie, both boys are gay with the jock one trying to hide it until the English teacher (also gay) sees him at a gay bar. There isn't anything romantic between the two boys but they become really good friends

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 3, 2017 9:35 AM

Nicholas Galitzine played gay in another thing too

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 3, 2017 9:37 AM

SPOILER ALERT:

R14, I'm not quite sure if Ned is gay in the film. At least, that's how I interpreted it. I think it was meant for people to suspect he was also gay since he was socially awkward, scrawny, artsy rebellious and not interested in rugby. In other words, the typical gay stereotype. But, as it turns out, it was the athletic rugby star, Conor, who was the closeted one. I think that was the main point of the scene where Ned outs Conor to the entire school assembly. He viciously turns on his only friend since he thought Conor has completely turned his back on him. He'd rather be expelled from school after losing his only true friend.

But, others might not agree with me. What say you?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 3, 2017 2:06 PM

Ned is not gay. The other boys at the school think he is, because he's an outcast who doesn't like rugby.

by Anonymousreply 17August 6, 2017 1:24 AM

Highly recommend this film. Sweet, funny, and very entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 18August 6, 2017 1:25 AM

Ned and Conor are based on the writer/director John Butler.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 6, 2017 1:29 AM

In the film, he leaves open the question of Ned's sexuality.

"He could be gay, he could be straight. But more than anything, he is just a lonely guy who needs a friend," he says. "There is no expected romantic outcome between the two guys. This is a story of friendship."

by Anonymousreply 20August 6, 2017 2:23 AM

The jock lead's DSLs are fantastic. I appreciated the message of this film. But without a romantic plot, it didn't evoke raw emotion from me...so I felt pretty "meh" at the end.

by Anonymousreply 21August 6, 2017 2:35 AM

[quote]But without a romantic plot, it didn't evoke raw emotion from me

So you can only emote for romantic stories? This was a type of love story, just not the romantic kind.

by Anonymousreply 22August 6, 2017 3:19 AM

R22, yeah I would say that gay romance lights a fire. But you're right; this was a love story.

by Anonymousreply 23August 6, 2017 3:37 AM

I thought it was odd, if Ned wasn't gay, to not tell his best friend. After all, the whole film was about be honest about who you are.

In voiceover, he seemed to indicate he was gay. When his friend went into the gay bar he said something about not being the only one.

I liked the film a lot, but found the ending too Hollywood. I can't imagine forgiving such an egregious breach of friendship so quickly -- or over such trite words.

And the "I am Spartacus!" scene in the lockerroom was too "Dead Poet's Society" and "In and Out"

by Anonymousreply 24August 26, 2017 2:42 PM

I enjoyed the movie and was actually glad that the two guys didn't have the cliche hookup. It made the film more watchable that the betrayal was of friendship, not romance.

by Anonymousreply 25August 26, 2017 5:44 PM

[quote] I can't imagine forgiving such an egregious breach of friendship so quickly -- or over such trite words.

Spoilers ....

Conor knew he was sufficiently a dick to Ned by skipping out on the concert, deciding they weren't friends and ignoring him then even hurting him physically. So while he was upset that he was outed, I felt like it would have been strange if he didn't acknowledge in some way that this is his own doing. So while what Conor did was terrible, what Ned did was also terrible. I saw him forgiving him quickly as also admitting he was an ass. It was also clear to me that Ned didn't get expelled because there was also bullying going on against him and the incident was explained to the school head enough off screen so that he couldn't just kick him out.

Also it was weird how the director didn't want to explicitly state the sexuality of the characters while also clearly indicating at points that both were gay. I did like the film and I found it refreshing because they didn't end up as a couple and the lead didn't lust after the other character at all.

by Anonymousreply 26August 26, 2017 9:16 PM

Nice little film. Better than 90% of the teen gay movies out there. and like some of the above posts, I agree it was nice to see that it was about a friendship between a hunky gay jock and a smart artistic nerd (who may or may be gay) and not an unlikely romance

by Anonymousreply 27August 26, 2017 9:56 PM

There were moments when it seemed as if they were in love. Especially when they were alone playing music together.

When Ned said he couldn't sing his part because all he wanted to do was follow Collin seemed pretty romantic to me.

by Anonymousreply 28August 26, 2017 10:04 PM

and then he committed suicide.

Oops...should that have gone under spoiler?

by Anonymousreply 29August 26, 2017 10:29 PM

I hate when writers these days insist on making every character, hero or villain, flawed and complex. Most idiots in this world are pretty simple, one-dimensional and easy to figure out. Enough with layered portraits of complexity which most characters don't merit.

by Anonymousreply 30August 26, 2017 10:33 PM

[quote]I balled.

You shot hoops during the film? or did you enjoy it in... other ways?

by Anonymousreply 31August 26, 2017 11:53 PM

Good movie!

by Anonymousreply 32August 27, 2017 3:41 PM

So is Ned gay or not?

by Anonymousreply 33September 2, 2017 3:13 PM

[quote]I hate when writers these days insist on making every character, hero or villain, flawed and complex. Most idiots in this world are pretty simple, one-dimensional and easy to figure out. Enough with layered portraits of complexity which most characters don't merit.

This says more about you than any movie.

by Anonymousreply 34September 2, 2017 3:29 PM

Just going to repost this...

I think I've seen a lot of the gay movies on Netflix and most of them don't fit the fem/nerd with a jock crush theme. At all.

4th Man Out ❌

White Frog ❌

Boys ❌

Seashore ❌

In the Grayscale ❌

Pit Stop ❌

Last Summer ❌

Drown ❌

Me Him Her ❌

Boy Meets Girl* ❌

Eat with Me ❌

Tiger Orange ❌

Henry Gamble's Birthday Party ❌

The 10 Year Plan ❌

Closet Monster ❌

Like You Mean It ❌

Spa Night ❌

Esteros ❌

People You May Know ❌

Lazy Eye ❌

That's Not Us ❌

From Afar ❌

The Comedian ❌

The Way He Looks ❌

Front Cover ❌

Handsome Devil ❌

Loev ❌

But please direct me to those films because I'm not averse to watching them.

by Anonymousreply 35September 2, 2017 4:54 PM

Gay boy having a secret affair with a hot popular guy. Geography Club, Something Like Summer, Get Real,... The same story again and again.

by Anonymousreply 36September 2, 2017 5:48 PM

The poster of the Suede album cover showing a kissing couple on Ned's dorm room wall is actually a picture of two short-haired lesbians, not men. Not sure if the homophobes in the movie even noticed that.

What year was the film set? The mid-eighties?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37September 2, 2017 10:13 PM

[quote]I liked the film a lot, but found the ending too Hollywood. And the "I am Spartacus!" scene in the lockerroom was too "Dead Poet's Society" and "In and Out"

I felt the same way, it was an enjoyable little film but the ending was just went poor cheese. Too bad it couldn't go out on a better note, that weakened what was a valiant effort.

You can call it "up to the audience" all you want, but Ned was gay. As r28 mentioned the scene where he couldn't focus on his part when Conor was singing because it just made him want to follow him was very much a kid with a crush, god, I've been in nearly that exact situation. I get the director wanted to do something new by making it the focus a friendship rather than a romantic relationship.

by Anonymousreply 38September 6, 2017 12:05 AM

I watched Handsome Devil last week. A lovely, small movie if you keep your expectations low (ditto Esteros, which I saw yesterday). Andrew Scott stole every scene he was in. (I'd like to see a movie about his character, actually.)

by Anonymousreply 39September 6, 2017 12:14 AM

[quote]So is Ned gay or not?

[quote] When his friend went into the gay bar he said something about not being the only one.

Exactly, I don't see it as that ambiguous really, that voiceover seemed to textually say he was gay.

Looking around at reviews, a lot of them just call Ned gay so I guess many people felt the same way.

by Anonymousreply 40September 6, 2017 12:19 AM

[quote]Andrew Scott stole every scene he was in. (I'd like to see a movie about his character, actually.)

Felt the same way, it was a breath of fresh air whenever he was on screen.

Also was nice to see Roose Bolton again, I'm in love with that actor's voice.

by Anonymousreply 41September 6, 2017 12:21 AM

Damn r15, thanks for that link.

by Anonymousreply 42September 6, 2017 12:23 AM

That gif is hot. What's it from, R15?

by Anonymousreply 43September 6, 2017 12:28 AM

It says right there r43.....

It is from "Legends" Season 2, episode 5.

by Anonymousreply 44September 6, 2017 12:30 AM

Really enjoyed it tonight.

by Anonymousreply 45February 12, 2018 5:51 AM

He's straight in real life, right?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46February 12, 2018 4:50 PM

Lithuanian last name.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47February 12, 2018 5:03 PM

There doesn’t appear to be a thread for Galitzine so I’ll add this here.

This might be him and his boyfriend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48January 5, 2021 1:52 AM

It was a really nice film. Enjoy!

by Anonymousreply 49January 5, 2021 2:02 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!