Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Ozark"

Well, what did you think?

by Anonymousreply 285February 20, 2020 1:06 AM

I love Jason Bateman and Laura Linney. So, I loved it.

by Anonymousreply 1July 24, 2017 1:55 AM

I plan to watch it.

by Anonymousreply 2July 24, 2017 2:52 AM

How does it compare to Blue Valentine?

And isn't LL 10+ years older than JB?

by Anonymousreply 3July 24, 2017 4:05 AM

Linney is 5 years older than Bateman.

I like them both, especially Linney, but I'm not sure if I'm going to watch past the two episodes I've seen so far. Not now anyway...after the depressing GYPSY and BLOODLINE, I need a breather from "dark" Netflix series.

by Anonymousreply 4July 24, 2017 4:59 AM

Netflix is grinding out these mediocre movies like sausage now.

by Anonymousreply 5July 24, 2017 5:03 AM

What's the male nudity quotient?

by Anonymousreply 6July 24, 2017 6:14 AM

You see a couple of asses that you don't really want to see.

However, the two FBI agents are gay and one of them starts sleeping with a local redneck in order to use him to flip a higher up in his family.

I never watched the first season of Bloodline because I didn't like it much. I skipped Gypsy entirely because of the bad reviews. But I did enjoy binge watching this although obviously it is in no way a "feelgood" series.

by Anonymousreply 7July 26, 2017 5:16 AM

The white FBI agent looked like Kyle Maclaughlan.

by Anonymousreply 8July 26, 2017 12:44 PM

Watching the first episode right now. While I'm enjoying the overall atmosphere, I'm now twenty minutes in and the main honcho is establishing his character via a long-ass speech about his childhood. First red flag.

Also, "to make something disappear like spit on a hot skillet" is definitely an expression that a Hispanic person would use. For sure. I'll give the writers the benefit of the doubt and just assume he interpreted a well-known Mexican phrase directly into English because that particular moment inspired him to do so.

I'll continue watching for the gay characters that R7 mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 9July 27, 2017 10:59 PM

I'm 5 episodes in but would have appreciated a "SPOILER ALERT" from R7 as I didn't know that the FBI agent was going to score yet.

by Anonymousreply 10July 27, 2017 11:04 PM

I enjoyed it thoroughly. I think the blond who works for Bateman/is the aunt of the trailer park boys is excellent.

SPOILER/KIND OF: Love the relationship which develops between the sociiopath and the Fisherman.

by Anonymousreply 11July 27, 2017 11:05 PM

My SPOILER was for R10.

The blond girl, whose name escapes me, reminds me of Scarlett on Nashville, had Scarlett not gotten out of the trailer park.

by Anonymousreply 12July 27, 2017 11:07 PM

Yeah, maybe we really should use spoiler alerts for the first couple of weeks or so after any Netflix series drops.

by Anonymousreply 13July 27, 2017 11:08 PM

WEll, anyway, no need for a spoiler: it's really great, and I like the episodes Bateman directed best. I would have never guessed the kid from The Hogan Family had this in him. He's grown up well.

SPOILER: I love the many crane shots and interesting camera work in his episodes.

by Anonymousreply 14July 27, 2017 11:15 PM

can someone just give me a synopsis of what it's about. I don't think it looks interesting enough to watch but I still want to know the story.

by Anonymousreply 15July 27, 2017 11:27 PM

[QUOTE]can someone just give me a synopsis of what it's about.

An accountant/money launderer convinces a drug lord to spare his life by vowing to move his family to the Ozarks so he can buy up legit businesses and launder the drug lord's money away from the prying eyes of federal agents.

by Anonymousreply 16July 27, 2017 11:42 PM

Also, to answer OP's question, I thought it was a very good show. The only worthwhile addition to Netflix since Stranger Things.

by Anonymousreply 17July 27, 2017 11:44 PM

R15 This happens not to be one of those "It gets better after the n-th episode, I swear!" type of shows. It blasts off from the very start, so just watch the first episode and if you're not feeling it half an hour in, drop it.

The description and the cast turned me off from this show immediately but someone strongly recommended it to me and now I'm hooked, one episode in.

by Anonymousreply 18July 27, 2017 11:59 PM

I'm enjoying it so far. 5 episodes in.

by Anonymousreply 19July 28, 2017 12:13 AM

I didn't even hear about it or anything, didn't know the cast other than Bateman, didn't read the synopsis--just pressed play cause I was bored and it was the first thing under Suggested For You. TBH I was kinda bored until Esai Morales appeared with a bang and stole the show. What a pleasant surprise. Burned through it in two days.

by Anonymousreply 20July 28, 2017 1:14 AM

The whole cast is great. I'm lifelong fans of Bateman and Linney, so it's must see for me.

I also grew up close to where the show is shot ( Lake Altoona.) the actress who plays Ruth really nails everything about the character-- even the accent, which is pretty specific. Was shocked to read she grew up in New York!

by Anonymousreply 21July 28, 2017 3:06 AM

Damn autocorrect-- s/b Lake Allatoona

by Anonymousreply 22July 28, 2017 3:07 AM

Actress who plays Ruth-- Julia Garner

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 28, 2017 3:08 AM

Derrick from DAYS is in this!

by Anonymousreply 24July 28, 2017 3:18 AM

The boy who the daughter punches looks like he could be Martha Plimpton's son.

by Anonymousreply 25July 28, 2017 3:21 AM

[QUOTE]Derrick from DAYS is in this!

His bod is sicker than ever.

by Anonymousreply 26July 28, 2017 3:30 AM

R25-- YES!

by Anonymousreply 27July 28, 2017 3:33 AM

LOVE this show. Love the cast. Love any movie that's filmed somewhere new and different.

The guy who plays the head drug runner/cartel guy is hot, and I've always loved Jason Bateman.

by Anonymousreply 28July 28, 2017 3:38 AM

Jason Bateman is fantastic in this, the episodes he directed are the best. I think his comeback is one of the best.

The chemistry between him & Linney is wonderful, too.

by Anonymousreply 29July 28, 2017 3:44 AM

Those trees in the Ozarks look so lush and majestic but I can't look at any US nature locations and [italic]not[/italic] see third world country levels of pollution. And it's in Missouri as well so it must be extra rank. So gross.

Was everyone on the set too afraid to correct Bateman when he mispronounced the word "realtor"? He's not some huge star so what was the problem there?

Linney's character is so refreshingly grounded. Like, yeah I cheated on you, it happens; grow the fuck up. I love this show so much!

by Anonymousreply 30July 28, 2017 12:33 PM

The Mexican cartel heavy is veteran actor Esai Morales. Very talented & underrated. His menacing character is pitch perfect: a charming psychopath, who kills in an instant & doesnt even blink over it.

Linney can always be counted on for a great performance & she delivers one here. Her character will have many layers that we'll see as the show progresses. Count on it. Loved the scene at the funeral home.

Bateman is fantastic. Powerful performances: loving father, troubled, cheated on husband, drug money launderer who thinks quickly on his feet & survives until the next threat. A terrified survivor whos in too deep, but won't surrender either.

Loved the location setting. Beautiful & tranquil looking, evil lurking below. Just like the characters.

I watched the whole 1st season in 3 nights. Very gripping. You have no idea what will happen next & everyones basically a "bad guy".

by Anonymousreply 31July 28, 2017 1:49 PM

Watched the first episode and won't be watching another. It's talky, heavy-handed, joyless, overly-violent, poorly-paced and badly directed (e.g., the scene in which a hooker blows Bateman is far too ambiguous as to whether it's real or a fantasy; when Linney meets her lover in the high-rise it's not clear from the blocking and body language what the nature of their relationship is). I'm not going to work this hard to understand exposition for what's essentially a story of recycled cliches (a man runs away to escape the wrath of a drug lord - snooze). While Bateman and Linney are reliably good, I found Morales insufferable and one-note - could only understand maybe 1/3 of his mumbled dialogue and the bug-eyed "intensity" of his performance is camp.

Bad show.

by Anonymousreply 32July 28, 2017 2:49 PM

R32 Totally agree with you about Morales' diction and the complete lack of chemistry between Linney and her dead lover; disagree with you about everything else, [italic]especially[/italic] the pacing.

[quote]Bad show.

Your criticism is far too thought-out to end it in an infantile manner like that. Just listen to that whore Coco Chanel and take one item off before hitting the post button.

by Anonymousreply 33July 28, 2017 3:04 PM

I learned a lot about money laundering. I had never really thought about it before.

This felt really timely. Money laundering in the Land of the Deplorables.

by Anonymousreply 34July 28, 2017 3:07 PM

Appreciate the measured, not-too-viscous criticism [R33] but I don't think the "bad show" remark can be characterized as "infantile." Just wanted to convey in shorthand something like, "If you agree with the gist of my way of thinking, you too will probably come to this conclusion." Of course everyone has the right to their opinion.

I also found the show's "dark, philosophical, let's lecture the audience about the human condition" approach very mannered and contrived, as if they needed to talk me into the story as opposed to reeling me in with good, visceral storytelling. Maybe part of my perception is due to going right from the finale of STRANGER THINGS into this.....

by Anonymousreply 35July 28, 2017 3:18 PM

I meant "vicious" not "viscous"!

by Anonymousreply 36July 28, 2017 3:20 PM

I didn't really understand the money laundering. How do inflated invoices for expenses help the launderer deposit "clean" money back into his own accounts?

I understand why the strip club comes in handy-- you can claim imaginary customers paid for everything with cash.

by Anonymousreply 37July 28, 2017 3:22 PM

Julia Garner( Ruth) has a supporting role on the FX series, THE AMERICANS.

by Anonymousreply 38July 28, 2017 3:29 PM

According to IMDB the show is mostly filmed in Georgia.

There are a lot of things that happen in this series that are far-fetched, and some bad editing issues*, but I'm ignoring them because overall I love the show!

* For example, during the flashback episode the kids are only about a year apart. Also, when the FBI guy is outside jogging when it's supposed to be around the Fourth of July there are no leaves on the trees, and you can see people's breath in other outdoor clips!!

by Anonymousreply 39July 28, 2017 3:30 PM

Oh, and Wendy and Marty looked ten years OLDER in their flashback scenes!

by Anonymousreply 40July 28, 2017 3:41 PM

SPOILER ALERT

The flashback was very "21 Grams." Had there been no accidental pregnancy, there never would have been any money laundering.

by Anonymousreply 41July 28, 2017 3:55 PM

R37, my mom and I had so many questions about money laundering after watch Ozark. The link below has some good info.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42July 28, 2017 4:13 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 43July 28, 2017 4:48 PM

Loving the rednecks getting some characterization. The pistachio breakdown was great, as was her reflecting on said breakdown later in the episode. "I accosted a kid at a store over fucking pistachio ice cream."

I was never into daddy stuff but that titty bar owner is one hot piece of meat, especially when shirtless with just that one silver streak on his chest. He could pound me senseless anytime he wanted.

[italic]Gay agents!!![/italic] 2017, everyone.

R43 It's a hot new series that gets discussed daily here; there's really no need to bump it just yet.

by Anonymousreply 44July 28, 2017 5:03 PM

Thanks, R42. Good link.

by Anonymousreply 45July 28, 2017 9:28 PM

Loving the fucking rednecks on this dark 'Breaking Bad ' feel series...Good stuff!

by Anonymousreply 46July 29, 2017 1:11 AM

Loved the series. Very creepy in a mid-American-Mexican way. Both Bateman and Linney are at the top of their form.

by Anonymousreply 47July 29, 2017 8:33 AM

"I'm 5 episodes in but would have appreciated a "SPOILER ALERT" from [R7] as I didn't know that the FBI agent was going to score yet."

You really didn't see that coming the minute he sat next to him at the bar? They showed the agent looking at the brothers' arrest records. You had to know the reason why he picked the one brother over the other.

But whatever. Bitches are going to bitch.

by Anonymousreply 48July 29, 2017 10:16 AM

I didn't see those arrest records very well. Was there any crime of a homosexual nature that would make him decide to go for that brother and not the other? Or do we think he went by looks instead?

by Anonymousreply 49July 29, 2017 10:22 AM

beginning 2nd epi. think i will stay with it for a few more and see......love linney in this part...... esai morales is good also. bateman...always loved him. if i am not invested by epi 3 i will chase something else.

by Anonymousreply 50July 29, 2017 10:44 AM

Would this show be described as noir or southern gothic? Or is it more of a crime drama?

by Anonymousreply 51July 29, 2017 10:57 AM

FBI agent mentions later that he saw the guy's arrest for having sex in public with a man or beating up a male prostitute--I can't remember exactly. But the point is, the FBI guy is gay, he chooses one brother over the other, and you already know that he's used sex on the job because of his relationship with the other FBI agent. And right off the bat he tells the brother that he's gay. I saw it coming.

Meanwhile, r51, I would personally consider it a noir. The protagonist is morally ambiguous if not corrupt from the start. I won't post any spoilers but I doubt this revelation would shock after watching the first few minutes.

by Anonymousreply 52July 29, 2017 12:48 PM

Thanks for your response, [R52]! I *love* noirs (and even neo noirs) so I'll definitely be checking this series out now!

by Anonymousreply 53July 29, 2017 12:51 PM

On 2nd episode and I fucking LOVE this show.

by Anonymousreply 54July 29, 2017 11:56 PM

Loving it. My father was stationed at Fort Leonard Wood in the 1950s, so after 50 years of hearing about the lakes from him I actually got to see them albeit streaming via Netflix. Great show.

by Anonymousreply 55July 30, 2017 12:21 AM

Finished it today. My favourite show of this summer. A sleeper hit, even? I swear the word of mouth was the only promotion for this show I encountered.

It's everything I wished Breaking Bad had been: a lead that's cynical from the start, a complicit wife who is not nagging him all the damn time but actually excels (and enjoys?) at helping him scam people, and a lack of that constant anxiety that could drive you mad on BB. Sure, bad shit happens all the time, but with the exception of the preacher stuff, I took it all as an enjoyable wild ride at the amusement park. It's so light and breezy; the wonderful colour scheme really sucks out all the oppressive heat of the South. It's almost a miracle for me, but I didn't find any of the kids annoying for a single second. Now that's some good writing.

And of course, the complex badass homosexual character(s). Remember that media blitz around the groundbreaking portrayal of homosexuality on American Gods? That sure was nice, but [italic]this[/italic] is some next-level mainstreaming shit right there.

While I like those rednecks a lot, I find the bobcat thing inexcusable; the only sour note on this show for me. Still loved what they did to that smarmy Mexican bastard, though.

by Anonymousreply 56July 30, 2017 12:49 AM

What happened to the bobcats?

by Anonymousreply 57July 30, 2017 1:19 AM

After seeing the pilot, I can see why Netflix felt they had to have it. You can't stop watching it once you make it to the second episode.

by Anonymousreply 58July 30, 2017 11:40 AM

R57 They've been caged since they were cubs. In a minuscule cage that is not suitable for a guard dog, let alone a roaming wild cat. And one of them clearly got scared when the redneck fired her gun the second time around.

I know the writers are trying to incorporate some (wild) animal motifs and parallels into the story, but I honestly want the bobcats to be dropped come next season.

by Anonymousreply 59July 30, 2017 12:11 PM

Watched the first two episodes last night. I like how the rural folks aren't complete idiots. The singular "Ozark" cracks me up for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 60July 30, 2017 4:14 PM

Three episodes in, excellent so far. Characters are really intriguing and multi-faceted, and the acting is great -- Linney in particular is terrific.

by Anonymousreply 61July 30, 2017 4:20 PM

The psycho FBI agent is very entertaining!

Very sad for the redneck fishing buddy. Probably no one had ever shown him a bit of attention his whole life. Then he gets his heart broken. Yes, he's a killer and a bad guy... but I'm still so sad for him.

by Anonymousreply 62July 30, 2017 6:12 PM

R62 Yeah, that was incredibly tragic. SPOILERS ->

But it's important to note that the closeted gay guy who gets killed isn't the only gay guy on this show, as is the case on so many other shows. Oh no. We saw a cute, well-adjusted gay relationship in the past and a dysfunctional one in the present, a psycho gay guy and another balanced one (both seemingly competent at their jobs), who also happen to be two exes working together!

That's so refreshing to me so it's weird to see this show not getting a lot more attention on DL.

by Anonymousreply 63July 30, 2017 10:18 PM

I don't know if this is a good or bad thing, but if didn't even occur to me to mention the gay characters. I just sort of took them for granted. I'm 46 years old, so I definitely remember a time that wouldn't have been possible.

by Anonymousreply 64July 31, 2017 3:30 AM

It's better than Bloodine, but that's not saying much. Tons of plot holes and messy writing, barely pulled together by sometimes better than okay directing and sometimes better than okay acting. Never gets to the level of better Netflix fare like House of Cards or Stranger Things.

by Anonymousreply 65July 31, 2017 12:59 PM

I enjoyed this show. Perfect summer entertainment. Linney and most of the cast were excellent. However the last ep really crammed a ton of exposition into 70 mins and it was the only time that Bateman's laconic acting style betrayed him. The scene with Morales and his henchman and Marty's extreme pain as a result lasted a second and then it was back to placid yet fast footed Marty with another master plan. I'm looking forward to next season especially as a showcase for Linney. And on a strictly surface level I thought the crazy ass Daddy with the psychotic wife and the poppy fields is especially hot. Great face. Discuss..

by Anonymousreply 66July 31, 2017 1:21 PM

SPOILERS SPOILERS!!!

I can't wait for next season and the whole Riverboat angle!!

Bummed they killed off the hot cartel man.

Yeah, totally ridiculous that Marty foot wasn't in tremendous pain in the final scene.

by Anonymousreply 67July 31, 2017 2:31 PM

i got thru episode 3 and finished last night. go for it.... i also was distressed about the bobcats....jesus. just let them run free. Plus the guy was so stupid he got 2 females...hello?

I wanted to bitch slap Ruth on many occasions so I guess she played her part well.....what a little cunt. At least someone has some brains anyway....... but yah, could not stop watching it. Some of it was off kilter but hey, better than the gong show on broadcast right?

by Anonymousreply 68July 31, 2017 2:34 PM

SPOILER

The only thing I found out of place was Linney's childhood story about her breaking into apartments. What was that all about? Were they trying to convey she's had criminal behaviour in her from the start and that it's not her husband who turned her into one?

R64 That's definitely progress and not a bad thing at all! Unfortch, some of us live in shitholes still, so we tend to notice representation more than others.

I can't help but contrast this show with the Twin Peaks revival, where posters here on DL were clapping and falling to their knees because a straight guy said [italic]fruitcake.[/italic] So "refreshingly unPC and groundbreaking", they chanted. Who needs gay characters anyway when you have such inspired writing? Oh, and David Duchovny in a wig. High art! Well, I stopped contributing to that thread because of all the casual misogyny as well, but that one goes hand in hand with (internalised) homophobia anyway.

In this show, we have plenty of gay characters and gay relationships in just ten episodes, but gay men still won't watch it because the Mexican actor rubs them the wrong way or some such bullshit excuse.

by Anonymousreply 69July 31, 2017 9:18 PM

Who was the hot guy on the boat that fucked that girl? He was hot and they missed an opportunity for a perfect butt shot. I didn't watch all the episodes. Did he disappear after that episode?

by Anonymousreply 70July 31, 2017 10:08 PM

R69 I think Wendy's character vacillates between being a normal mom/wife and a total snake. For example SPOILER

When the guy breaks into their house in the final episode, I thought it was unbelievable that Wendy wouldn't insist, "Give me the gun!" to her son, and then shoot the cartel guy herself. Instead, she encourages JONAH to do it!! I thought that was ridiculous but then I remembered how slimy she's been in other scenes, like scamming her boss out of his mom's money,and I think that she might just be a sociopath.

It will be interesting to see how her personality works next season.

I wonder what will become of the motel owner who left with some of the loot.

by Anonymousreply 71July 31, 2017 10:28 PM

R70, I take it you don't watch Days of Our Lives. The actor played Derrick and was talked about much in the Days threads.

by Anonymousreply 72August 1, 2017 1:04 AM

Kudos for casting an age appropriate female lead (Linney),

I love her, but dreading the day someone tells her she needs a baby facelift. Bateman's got the turkey neck, too. Hope they won't fuck with their faces.

by Anonymousreply 73August 1, 2017 4:00 PM

Officially, Netflix won't commit for Season 2 yet, but I know they're going to green light it after the reception this series has received.

by Anonymousreply 74August 1, 2017 4:09 PM

The only thing that didn't make sense to me is why Marty and his wife didn't live an extravagant lifestyle in Chicago during the ten years he was laundering millions of dollars for Del. In fact, he seemed to be extremely thrifty and they were definitely living a upper middle class (barely) life. I can only guess Marty wanted to stay under the radar with the FBI and other federal agencies.

by Anonymousreply 75August 1, 2017 4:50 PM

I love Ruthie!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76August 1, 2017 5:36 PM

Grace Randolph gushes over it and shits on Netflix for not promoting this gem.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77August 2, 2017 7:39 PM

I'm so bummed I finished it and now have nothing to watch.

by Anonymousreply 78August 2, 2017 8:53 PM

Overall very good show -- some thoughts SPOILERS

it didn't make a lick of sense that Russ would try to kill Marty when Ruth was on to whom. Why? I dare someone to make any logic of that.

It also did not make a lick of sense that Ruth would choose to kill her UNCLES over Marty. Really?

Russ wasn't a killer, as somewhat suggested above.

The FBI agent's motovations were not consistent. He seemed like a different person n the flashback episode

I FUCKING HATE the actor that played Jacob Snell. He's Irish and his accent was shit

Sorry Bateman's range is not broad but I guess he was OK. He's a middling sitcom actor. Linney is an actor on a different level so the discrepancy was often notable

ESAI is a hot papi and can't believe he was killed off over the redneck cunt and the stupid Irish hick. Morales is running fir SAG president incidentally

So glad the pastor didn't kill the baby

Lots of low key humor in the show -- Eugenia her demise and funeral plans, the shading between the hillbilly cunt and del, etc

Most of the criticisms above are at the margins -- overall very watchable show

by Anonymousreply 79August 5, 2017 9:04 AM

Jacob Snell is Irish?! I hadn't noticed that at all; he looked like a quintessential redneck to my European eyes.

I gathered the FBI agent was extremely damaged by his mother turning into a drug zombie. I know I would be. Perhaps we'll get some more of his backstory in additional flashbacks next season.

by Anonymousreply 80August 5, 2017 9:15 AM

Sorry Scottish r80

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81August 6, 2017 6:44 AM

Hard to say if this is Linney's BEST performance, but it's definitely up there. She's fucking awesome.

by Anonymousreply 82August 6, 2017 12:34 PM

SPOILERS

R79 I think Ruth WOULD have killed her uncles over Marty, because she sees a mother figure in Wendy, and she wants that mother figure, and she doesn't want to hurt her. Also, her uncle hit her, and she knew he was setting her up, and there was a competition with him over their plans and dirty dealings.

I wonder what the deal is with her relationship with her dad and where that will go.

I agree with the FBI's personality not being coherent between the flashbacks and his current self. I feel like something was missing. Maybe they'll show more next season.

by Anonymousreply 83August 6, 2017 3:52 PM

Oh, also killing Marty would probably have meant that Wendy would have moved away from the Ozarks. I think there will be a key Wendy/Ruth thing happening next season, and Wendy can turn on a dime so it could be pretty good, seeing whose side she winds up on.

by Anonymousreply 84August 6, 2017 3:54 PM

So Upon further thought I think the pastor was trying to kill the baby but the baby survived and that in turn renewed his faith.

Still think the set up for the killing of Russ was lame. Russ's best bet was to say "I want a lawyer" since by petty's own admission they didn't have evidence that any crime was even committed (attempted murder) other than a recording obtained through unethical and very likely inadmissible means. An untrue confession at that because Russ didn't try to kill Marty. But if you grant that Russ was too stupid for that, why would he try to kill Marty? He would just try to run with his sons.

Also why would Marty and Wendy not take the witness protection option? That doesn't make any sense either.

Best not to overthink those things I guess

by Anonymousreply 85August 6, 2017 4:24 PM

Never really had strong feelings about Linney one way or the other, but she is outstanding on "Ozark"!

by Anonymousreply 86August 6, 2017 4:25 PM

[quote]So Upon further thought I think the pastor was trying to kill the baby but the baby survived and that in turn renewed his faith.

How does any adult person not know that babies automatically hold their breath underwater for a period of time after they're born? There was quite a bit of outrage over this scene online and I don't see why as he clearly wasn't trying to drown the baby.

by Anonymousreply 87August 6, 2017 4:41 PM

You're wrong r87. He didn't know anything about babies as was obvious fron the Marty showing him how to wrap like a burrito scene

by Anonymousreply 88August 6, 2017 5:15 PM

Watchable but not award winning. This could have been a much darker story with a different male lead, someone who could convey either a sociopathic compartmentalization or a desperate, clawing struggle for self-preservation. Or both. But Bateman's performance was too shallow - I found myself comparing him to Bomer in The Last Tycoon because of the emotional distance from the material. On the other hand, Bateman did an excellent job as director, and I hope he gets more work.

by Anonymousreply 89August 6, 2017 5:28 PM

R89 Wouldn't a sociopath/moral-less person (or someone along those lines) actually BE that shallow and unflappable/robotic though?

by Anonymousreply 90August 6, 2017 5:51 PM

R90, Sociopaths aren't unflappable or robotic. To most people they appear emotionally flat, but if you get to know one better, you uncover a minefield of (mostly imagined) transgressions fueling an unending rage. When they get angry, it's disproportional to the injury and they struggle to hide it, blowing up when they're in a safe place, like a car or at home, or around their spouse or children. They also express their anger as condescension and self-aggrandizement - putting down the people around them, especially immediate family, and building themselves up with lies and half-truths. Finally, they engage in excessive risk-taking because surviving the danger is evidence to themselves of their superiority - not just because they got away with it, but also because they were able to control their fear, unlike other "weaker" people.

by Anonymousreply 91August 6, 2017 8:05 PM

SPOILERS THROUGHOUT

Just finished it. It was very good. Somewhere in between B+ and A-

Loved Bateman (I think he's very underrated) and Linney and the girl who played Ruthie and the girl who played Charlotte--her spoiled teen forced out of her cocoon was excellent.

The real estate guy and his mother were the only comic relief and I was glad he stood up to her for 30 seconds at the end.

To answer some questions from above:

The FBI agent had discovered the redneck had been busted for soliciting a 19 year old male prostitute-- that's why he knew he was gay and was so forward with him.

The uncle wanted to kill Marty and take the money because he was heartbroken and in his mind, this was his only way out--he realized he wouldn't be able to trick Ruth into confessing and thought he'd wind up in jail.

Ruth stopped them because she realized that Marty and his wife represented her only way out of her current life and the only way to escape from her father.

Linney's line about breaking into houses was supposed to show she wasn't just some preppy girl, that she had a wild side to her and that's why she told Marty to go for it with Del

PLOT HOLES:

There were a lot of plot holes as others have pointed out. All series have them and you just sort of have to roll with them.

1. Why didn't the Feds have any evidence on Marty given that his partner was working with them?

2. The Mexicans seemed to be taking a big chance killing Marty's friend in the flashback--that easily could have caused him to go running to the Feds and witness protection

3. What caused the FBI agent to go from loving boyfriend to the doctor to complete psychopath? There was the incident with his mother of course, but would that really cause him to go off the deep end-- unless of course she died or became homeless

by Anonymousreply 92August 12, 2017 1:20 AM

Should I watch this show?

by Anonymousreply 93August 12, 2017 3:45 AM

Yes, I thought it was good R93.

by Anonymousreply 94August 12, 2017 3:50 AM

Spencer Neville

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95August 12, 2017 6:16 AM

Spencer Neville

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96August 12, 2017 6:20 AM

LOVED IT! Just binge watched the season over the last 2 days. Well Done Jason et all! Bring on season 2!!!!

by Anonymousreply 97August 12, 2017 9:14 AM

I felt bad for Russ,getting his heart broken by the FBI agent. The agent seemed like a normal,likable guy in the flashbacks. What turned him into a sociopath?

by Anonymousreply 98August 12, 2017 9:11 PM

I was wondering that too R98

His mom, who already seemed pretty nuts, became a heroin addict and disowned him, but he was a grown man in a relationship-- that's not the sort of thing that would make someone a sociopath. (Though many of the mommy-obsessed DLers might disagree)

by Anonymousreply 99August 13, 2017 12:55 AM

I'm surprised I haven't seen any mention of Jason Bateman's bare ass. Also we saw the FBI agent's butt.

by Anonymousreply 100August 13, 2017 1:05 AM

Has Bateman had work? He looks great.

by Anonymousreply 101August 14, 2017 12:36 PM

The real estate agent's mother reminded me of DLers, both her taste and her passive-aggressive nature

by Anonymousreply 102August 15, 2017 2:15 AM

r92 "2. The Mexicans seemed to be taking a big chance killing Marty's friend in the flashback--that easily could have caused him to go running to the Feds and witness protection."

How could Marty's friend going running to the Feds and enter the witness protection program when the Mexicans had already killed him?

by Anonymousreply 103August 15, 2017 11:59 AM

LOL R103 -- "Him" = Marty, not his dead partner

by Anonymousreply 104August 15, 2017 3:31 PM

Netflix has renewed it for a second season.

by Anonymousreply 105August 15, 2017 5:42 PM

Official Season 2 announcement!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106August 15, 2017 7:41 PM

R99 How do you know the agent wasn't "mommy-obsessed" himself?

by Anonymousreply 107August 15, 2017 7:42 PM

i definitely would recommend it

by Anonymousreply 108August 19, 2017 1:48 AM

R79, the actor who played Jacob Snell is Scottish, not Irish as you have claimed.

He has a long list of credits to his name and is most likely the owner of more prestigious acting and directing awards than anyone else in the cast.

And your claim that his accent was awful reveals your ignorance of true southern accents. I can tell you as a southerner, his accent was absolutely perfect. His acting talent put everyone else in the cast to shame.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109August 19, 2017 2:01 AM

I revised my post r109 (aka cunt) to say he was scottish. Who gives a shit? He sucked and a shitty boring villain with a terrible accent. Next, cunt?

by Anonymousreply 110August 19, 2017 2:51 AM

You've already amazed us with your ignorance, R110. Must you go on?

by Anonymousreply 111August 19, 2017 3:20 AM

I liked The first few episodes, but longer it went on the more outlandish and completely unbelievable it was (I know it's only a TV show)

Too many "civilians" were killed ( I won't give spoilers away) and nobody got arrested or anything.

by Anonymousreply 112August 20, 2017 12:16 AM

The series of events that led to the family fleeing to the Ozarks was a little ham-handed. Could have been a more subtle setup. Still, I loved the show.

by Anonymousreply 113August 20, 2017 6:49 AM

Watched 3 eps. Then gave up. Too silly and not enough to keep me interested. Still, it did better than Gypsy. Had enough after one ep. Got through first season of Bloodline with difficulty. Recommend Better all Saul or any of the Scandi series on Netflix. Also recommend Line of Duty and Happy Valley. Both UK police series. Absolutely brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 114August 20, 2017 8:23 AM

Bateman bump

by Anonymousreply 115August 24, 2017 1:09 PM

R114 You sound like a lot of fun.

by Anonymousreply 116August 24, 2017 1:34 PM

When I saw the trailer I was put off by the violence for some reason, but some poster on a different thread recommended the show and it was in my watching que so what the heck? And I got hooked very quick. I can't exactly describe what I found so great, because it's really dark and gritty but it's great.

Spoilier, obvs.

- For a numbers guy Martin is pretty quick in survial mode getting himself out of tricky situations. I had to fast forward through the toe nail torture scene.

- regarding the FBI sociopath. I think his mom really did a number on him when he realized that his partner was right and his mom was indeed a drug addict. I imagine it meant that he couldn't allow himself to let people get close to him or he will not see their betrayal soon enough or something like that.

- regarding the Ruth, Russ, and Boyd Langmore. Ruth was such an enjoyable cunt (the way she punched the stripper for talking smack about her dad). I mean she tried to convince her uncles to kill Martin in the first episode (or was that in the second?). The scene of Boyd and Russ out on the lake (Russ sharing his plans of opening a fish bait shop) was pretty sweet. It's pretty obvious Boyd knew that Russ is gay and with the undercover FBI agent and he wanted Russ to be happy. To me it sucks that both got the raw end of the stick and were written into a corner where they try to kill Martin which forced Ruth's hand and made her kill her uncles.

- regarding the priest and the baby. The scene is obvs. misleading but he's clearly babtizing his baby. I mean why would he intend to kill his baby boy by drowning and then be so happy that he survived the attempt of murder that he draws a cross on his forhead?

[quote]The Mexicans seemed to be taking a big chance killing Marty's friend in the flashback--that easily could have caused him to go running to the Feds and witness protection

What friend of Marty? In the flashback episode they killed an associate (ready to narc on Del) who was the previous means of Del's money laundering scheme. There are no flashbacks in the first episode. Martin's partner is being killed in the present timeline.

by Anonymousreply 117August 28, 2017 9:47 PM

[quote]regarding the priest and the baby. The scene is obvs. misleading but he's clearly babtizing his baby. I mean why would he intend to kill his baby boy by drowning and then be so happy that he survived the attempt of murder that he draws a cross on his forhead?

I think it's still ambiguous in that it can be interpreted as relating back to when he "miraculously" survived the shooting. He was saved by god in his mind, and now god intervened to save his son. Thus restoring his faith.

by Anonymousreply 118August 28, 2017 10:08 PM

Yeah that was one fucking long baptism. I enjoyed the show overall. It tried a little too hard to be Breaking Bad and I thought Jason Bateman was the weak link in the cast. He can't really do moral ambiguity well and he can't seem to help his perma-smirk. I always feel like he is about to deliver a wisecrack

by Anonymousreply 119August 28, 2017 10:15 PM

*SPOILER*

Just finished Ep 9 that ends with Roy finding out that Russ is dead and shooting up a bar. The dick wants what it wants.

by Anonymousreply 120August 29, 2017 4:40 AM

I just finished binge-watching it. Great show and I am looking forward to the second season. The whole cast was great but the standout was Ruth - a definitive scene-stealing performance by Julia Garner. I dug her whip-smart, cheeky personality and budding rapport with Marty and she had the best character arc on the show. I also loved the little nuances in how different she was when having to put on hard exterior dealing with her uncles or taking care of Marty's business, yet she was caring and understanding when taking care of her nephews (especially Wyatt), or how surprised yet hungry for affection she was with Wendy, and finally how meek and submissive she was with her dad. Kudos to the actress. Oh, and that accent! Love it!

I liked Buddy saving the family in the end. I thought he'll be nothing more but a comic relief but his role as an unwanted quasi-mentor figure to Jonah was appreciated.

I thought Rachel the innkeeper might put moves on Marty. I sensed a brewing chemistry between them, especially when Marty seemed hurt and a little jealous when she was talking about her fuck of the week.

FBI agent kind of annoyed me. Same with the Preacher. If he was only less sanctimonious and self-righteous, his innocent wife would live. The Heroin Rednecks were far more menacing than Mexicans. Shoutout to Darlene with her Murder is The Best Solution Approach.

I also like to second someone who praised the daughter's performance. Usually, I can't stand teens and kids in the tv shows, but her rebellious attitude was understandable and realistically acted. Even the 'losing your virginity to a hot stud who forgets about you next day' hit close to home.

by Anonymousreply 121September 10, 2017 7:52 PM

I got pretty middling reviews, but I really enjoyed it. Good characters and it built it's world pretty quickly - some genuine tension and dramatic arcs. Not sure it needs a season 2, but I'd watch.

by Anonymousreply 122September 10, 2017 7:55 PM

[quote]You can't stop watching it once you make it to the second episode.

I stopped after three, maybe part of the way into the fourth episode. The bad family seems so contrived. But then, so does the entire series. I'm going to give it another chance, though, after reading so many positive reviews here.

by Anonymousreply 123September 10, 2017 8:08 PM

R123 You should give it another try, episode 5 and 6 are the standouts.

by Anonymousreply 124September 10, 2017 8:18 PM

Sounds so cliched on paper yet it feels so fresh in its execution. And reading the critics' reviews, it seems to have a marmite quality to it.

It's not nearly as operatic or "deep" as Breaking Bad and I love it precisely because of that. I don't expect all my shows to send me into a horrible depression afterwards. Nothing wrong with some light summer entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 125September 10, 2017 8:18 PM

Wonderful soundtrack that i added to my spotify lidt.

by Anonymousreply 126September 10, 2017 8:22 PM

Is the creepy son autistic or a psychopath in training? He seemed weirdly obsessed with dead animals, death, and guns and he wasn't even 11 years old.

by Anonymousreply 127September 10, 2017 8:24 PM

So over every show starting with wife or husband cheating but I loved the twist about the same "porn" he was watched. I love Jason Bateman, but c'mon he has the same fucking expression on his face. I'm enjoying the show tho. Had no idea about the Ozarks and the rednecks living there. Some stuff is quite unbelievable but fun to watch. Like others have mentioned Ruth character steals the show. I also loved the gay FBI agent and his relationship with the redneck. The teenage daughter is annoying as hell. Love the son.

by Anonymousreply 128September 10, 2017 9:53 PM

the only great thing about Bloodline was Sam Shepard ( and kinda Sissy S) but of course they killed him off...so feh. Ozark was interesting....a lot of people said it was "like" Breaking Bad but they just brought too much shit into it....

I agree about Netflix......SO MUCH SHIT.....it was so much better when they had REAL movies ....you can only get thru the mail now.

by Anonymousreply 129September 11, 2017 1:45 AM

I'm about to finish the season by watching the last episode. Some thoughts so far. I loved it when Laura punched Jason in the face. His business partner Bruce looked very hot in his work clothes in that early scene in the space they were thinking of renting. I was put off by the amount of violence in the show. Some seemed unnecessary, like the way they killed off Bruce Altman. It's a shame the black FBI guy wasn't seen more but maybe he will be in the last episode. I am not usually a fan of Jason but he is growing on me during the show's run. He's still not as good as Laura but I like the way his character is written to have the word smarts to get him out of sticky situations. Knowing there will be a second season tells me that he will survive, but let's see what goes down ...

by Anonymousreply 130September 23, 2017 3:00 AM

My partner and I quite liked it and binged it within a couple of days. It's not Breaking Bad but it's good in its own way. I'm curious to see where S2 is going to go.

by Anonymousreply 131September 23, 2017 3:08 AM

Bethany Anne Lind who played Grace could do The Sandy Dennis Story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132September 23, 2017 1:08 PM

So 3 months ago.

by Anonymousreply 133September 23, 2017 1:33 PM

I want to like this series but I have watched 2 episodes and I hate the daughter. I don't really want to watch anymore of this

by Anonymousreply 134September 24, 2017 9:57 PM

The daughter isn't in the later episodes so much. I agree that the series is a bit of a chore to watch but I persevered.

by Anonymousreply 135September 25, 2017 8:40 AM

Forgive for being so late to the show but I just finished season 1 and I loved it. I think my favorite person is Ruth, very multi-faceted, but I also have to love the crazy ass hillbilly heroin dealing couple. So many of these characters are complex. Wife went from "oh, honey, get off your feet" to the pregnant wife to blowing someone's head off for saying "redneck". Could not believe how they ended the cartel guy's life.

by Anonymousreply 136January 18, 2018 7:32 PM

Binged it over the weekend, loved it. Great performances all around.

Is anyone else getting an incest vibe between Ruth and her father? I bet he’ll be out of jail next season.

by Anonymousreply 137June 3, 2018 5:33 PM

I was just about to ask when the second season would drop but there hasn't been an announcement yet. All we know is that there will be ten episodes again and that the fabulous Janet McTeer has been added to the cast.

by Anonymousreply 138June 3, 2018 5:57 PM

Season 2 trailer!

All episodes drop Friday, August 30.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139June 21, 2018 5:48 PM

I liked it.

by Anonymousreply 140June 22, 2018 12:44 AM

Can’t wait for season 2.

by Anonymousreply 141June 23, 2018 3:27 AM

Official trailer.

Premieres August 31st, not 30th like I mistakenly posted earlier.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142July 30, 2018 2:54 PM

It had the tension of Bloodline but I enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 143August 19, 2018 2:58 AM

Since the poppy farmer's wife was so impulsive killing it seemed strange that she wouldn't kill Marty since she blamed him for ruining things for them.

by Anonymousreply 144August 19, 2018 3:20 AM

New trailer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145August 24, 2018 5:23 PM

I am going to watch it.

by Anonymousreply 146August 24, 2018 6:04 PM

I don't like spoilers so won't watch the trailer because I do plan on watching season 2 right away

by Anonymousreply 147August 25, 2018 12:15 AM

Season Two starts Friday! Can't wait, it feels like it has been forever. Side note, well...question. Do any of you think that Jason Bateman wears a wig? I am bingeing all of the seasons of Arrested Development, and it seems to have never changed over the years. Not even a wee bit of thinning. Or is he just one of the lucky ones?

by Anonymousreply 148August 31, 2018 6:43 AM

Ugh, woke up at 4:30 in the fucking morning. I hate that. I am tempted to go watch an episode, but I know I should wait until the weekend when I can hoover up season two at one go. Maybe I'll watch the last episode of season one for a bit of a refresher. Yes, I know, you guys are thrilled at my devil-may-care ways!

by Anonymousreply 149August 31, 2018 11:40 AM

I'm watching season 2 right now. The stripper turning tricks in the VIP room was fucking hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 150September 1, 2018 6:27 AM

A few episode into season 2. Looks like Ruth's daddy been hitting the gym while in prison.

by Anonymousreply 151September 1, 2018 10:16 PM

Awww. Petty jerking off to the sound of his dead hillbilly boyfriend's voice.

by Anonymousreply 152September 1, 2018 10:29 PM

I can not rent the DVD.

by Anonymousreply 153September 1, 2018 10:51 PM

Just started watching season 2. It's nice to see actors who haven't had work done, Bateman and Linney look their age but are still attractive.

by Anonymousreply 154September 2, 2018 1:51 AM

Also Oscar from the Affair is on the new season

by Anonymousreply 155September 2, 2018 2:51 AM

[quote] Also Oscar from the Affair is on the new season

YES!!! I want to suck Darren Goldstein dry.

by Anonymousreply 156September 2, 2018 2:54 AM

Goldstein's wife was on Bloodline, she played the wife of the bumbling brother

by Anonymousreply 157September 2, 2018 3:33 AM

Well now we know Petty's a bottom.

by Anonymousreply 158September 2, 2018 3:42 AM

"We put our tongues down each other's throats and our dicks up each other's asses." Why didn't they show that last season!

by Anonymousreply 159September 2, 2018 3:52 AM

Best think on Netflix

by Anonymousreply 160September 2, 2018 6:59 AM

I hate Ruth's father, hopefully he goes the way of his brothers..

by Anonymousreply 161September 2, 2018 7:17 AM

Ruth Snell needs to go too

by Anonymousreply 162September 2, 2018 7:18 AM

^Darlene Snell

by Anonymousreply 163September 2, 2018 7:47 AM

Guys, I need my question about Bateman's hair answered. It is making me crazy! See it at R148

by Anonymousreply 164September 3, 2018 3:50 AM

Jason always had a thick head of hair. I think it's natural.

by Anonymousreply 165September 3, 2018 3:52 AM

It's a wig. He's been losing his hair for decades.

by Anonymousreply 166September 3, 2018 4:04 AM

"You're just jealous that big bear fucked me 50 times harder than you ever could"

by Anonymousreply 167September 3, 2018 7:19 AM

Actually it was big,beautiful bear.

by Anonymousreply 168September 3, 2018 8:37 AM

Wilkes, the religious dude Wendy deals with is a hot daddy. The gay FBI agent, meh. The gay FBI agent's black ex-boyfriend, yes please. Russ Langmore, who FBI guy had an affair with - sort of a hot trashy redneck.

The second season isn't as good, but still okay. Boy did they ever take the story in a lot of directions. The whole Mason (the preacher) subplot was unnecessary.

by Anonymousreply 169September 4, 2018 2:00 AM

[quote] Wilkes, the religious dude Wendy deals with is a hot daddy.

It's Darren Goldstein and, yes, he's a HAF ginger bear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170September 4, 2018 2:03 AM

Julia Garner could play Madonna in her biopic.

by Anonymousreply 171September 4, 2018 2:41 AM

I get a kick out of Ruth Snell although she is a snake

by Anonymousreply 172September 4, 2018 8:55 AM

The son reminds me of Barron Trump

by Anonymousreply 173September 4, 2018 10:28 AM

I was thinking the same thing R171

by Anonymousreply 174September 4, 2018 11:53 AM

Julia Garner MVP.

by Anonymousreply 175September 4, 2018 12:02 PM

Ruth was the only one I was rooting for. I wanted to root for Wyatt but he is so dim.

by Anonymousreply 176September 4, 2018 12:04 PM

I'm watching ep 1 solely because of Laura Linney. I could watch her read the phone book. It would be a dramatic, compassionate, conflicted phone book. Worth my time.

by Anonymousreply 177September 4, 2018 12:41 PM

ARE YOU SAYING PETER MULLAN IS IN THIS? Then I'm watching for him alone.

by Anonymousreply 178September 4, 2018 3:53 PM

Btw, this is better than Bloodline if that is any indication.

Still not exceptionally good, but holds your attention.

by Anonymousreply 179September 4, 2018 3:54 PM

Definite scene-stealing by Julia Garner as dishwashing Ruth. I'll be on the lookout for more of her in the future.

by Anonymousreply 180September 4, 2018 3:55 PM

The pistaccio scene in the supermarket is a riot.

by Anonymousreply 181September 4, 2018 3:58 PM

Season 2: Lather, rinse, repeat.

by Anonymousreply 182September 4, 2018 4:06 PM

Laura Linney is phenomenal in this. She rises above the material, always.

by Anonymousreply 183September 5, 2018 5:34 PM

r178 he is, even has a sex scene

by Anonymousreply 184September 5, 2018 7:40 PM

Laura Linney is good in this. She comes off as a bitch in a lot of her roles, wonder what she is like in real life?

by Anonymousreply 185September 5, 2018 7:40 PM

Russ without the beard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186September 5, 2018 11:56 PM

This was Linney's season. Bateman is fine, but Linney is considerably better. I like the actress who plays Ruth and she's good, but there's all these reviews saying she's the "soul" of the show and that the actress is brilliant. I wouldn't say all that.

by Anonymousreply 187September 6, 2018 2:39 AM

Linney's character's transformation from "the wife" to the real brain behind their further moral descent into the unthinkable has been amazing. She really nailed the calculated coldness with which Wendy starts plotting and doing very bad things.

by Anonymousreply 188September 6, 2018 2:44 AM

I like the cartel's cold attorney. And, Darlene Snell was a hoot. The women characters really brought it.

by Anonymousreply 189September 6, 2018 2:45 AM

Janet McTeer is always great. No surprises there.

by Anonymousreply 190September 6, 2018 2:46 AM

r186 he looks good there

by Anonymousreply 191September 6, 2018 3:15 AM

On the flip side from all the great women - the useless Mason story line and the Langmore father - I always wanted his scenes to be over. But, they both died, so they won't be around if there's a Season 3. Wilkes was a nice addition to the story.

by Anonymousreply 192September 6, 2018 3:19 AM

I want to watch a show about cartel attorney Grace (Janet McTeer)! Love her.

by Anonymousreply 193September 6, 2018 4:23 AM

I thought her name was Helen?

by Anonymousreply 194September 6, 2018 4:24 AM

What a great show! Want to binge but I have to work. Can't wait for the weekend!

by Anonymousreply 195September 6, 2018 5:04 AM

SPOILERS

"I killed Jimmy Hoffa" Great fucking line!

by Anonymousreply 196September 6, 2018 2:55 PM

Laura Linney as an actor is in a completely different league from Jason Bateman. Thankfully, he doesn't ruin the scenes. He's dependable. He's like a blank slate, almost. We can watch the show with him in it. But she's the driving force, and there are a few other characters/actors (mostly female) that are really good.

by Anonymousreply 197September 6, 2018 2:57 PM

The young actors Julia Garner Charlie Tahan are very good.

by Anonymousreply 198September 6, 2018 2:58 PM

I love that she's called Wendy.

by Anonymousreply 199September 6, 2018 3:01 PM

Just watched the episode where the FBI agent and the uncle fuck. All I can say is, I hope the uncle showered before he went out and got drunk because he always looks pretty gamy.

Also, was the male prostitute the agent had suck him off the same one the uncle hooked up with? He looked very young.

by Anonymousreply 200September 6, 2018 3:04 PM

Are we watching Macbeth?

by Anonymousreply 201September 6, 2018 3:28 PM

This show's friggin amazing.

by Anonymousreply 202September 6, 2018 3:44 PM

Love that final scene from ep 6 with - I guess? - Janet McTeer.

by Anonymousreply 203September 6, 2018 3:53 PM

Sorry don't know the name of the actress - the one at the Blue Cat.

by Anonymousreply 204September 6, 2018 3:54 PM

I meant Rachel played by Jordana Spiro.

Sorry about that.

by Anonymousreply 205September 6, 2018 3:55 PM

[quote]he always looks pretty gamy.

I like that in a man.

by Anonymousreply 206September 6, 2018 5:04 PM

Thoughts after bingeing the first season:

I know that the series wasn't necessarily shot in the Ozarks but I think it did a pretty good job of representing. My parents loved the area and visited a lot and then built their dream home and moved there when they retired. They spent not quite a decade there, driven out by people constantly partying in their cove all night long, all of the rednecks, and the rampant drug abuse.

I think the minister intended to drown his baby and then "found God" midway through the process.

I would have resorted to smacking Charlotte about halfway through. Goddamn it, girl, shut the fuck up and do what I say before we all get skinned alive!

The Snells have got to be headed for a big fall. They might be incredibly vicious, but they're not half as smart as they think they are.

I don't think it was any surprise the FBI agent's cute doctor boyfriend would have been gone without a trace. The agent is wound so tight, he would have been impossible to have a sustaining relationship with unless you were a total masochist. Not sure why the black agent would have kept wanting a piece of him, either. I'm glad, at least, he acknowledged to himself that he bore some responsibility for his fuck buddy's death.

I loved Jordana Spiro on "My Boys." I hope she's back.

I will miss Esai Morales hot silver daddydom.

I'm assuming, based on the previous example, that Del would have had someone lined up to replace Marty when he came to Chicago and killed the others. I wonder what happened to him.

Something tells me Jonah will be pulling the trigger on someone for real in the not too distant future.

by Anonymousreply 207September 7, 2018 12:25 AM

"Laura Linney as an actor is in a completely different league from Jason Bateman. Thankfully, he doesn't ruin the scenes. He's dependable. "

Agreed. Thankfully, I think the writers write well for him. Marty's character is sort of robotic and stiff and it suits Bateman's acting here. They're not trying to have him deliver Linney-level acting.

by Anonymousreply 208September 7, 2018 1:45 AM

And of course Bateman is directing.

by Anonymousreply 209September 7, 2018 1:49 AM

Is the Charlie Tahan character supposed to be gay? I'm three episodes into season 2 and they seemed to be hinting at it.

by Anonymousreply 210September 7, 2018 4:28 AM

The actresses are a really fantastic (other than perhaps the daughter) and their characters all interesting and morally ambiguous. Julia Garner (Ruth) is the breakout star for me though; I think she has a long career ahead of her.

by Anonymousreply 211September 7, 2018 6:30 AM

Really loving this show. The only thing that's missing is the region 2 DVD.

by Anonymousreply 212September 7, 2018 6:56 AM

I love the character of Ruth and what Julia Garner is doing with it. The only thing that I'm unsure of and find exaggerated is her southern accent, not being an American myself. Do people in Missouri have such strong accents, particularly since no one else in her immediate family seems to have one?

by Anonymousreply 213September 7, 2018 11:03 AM

She does lay it on a little thick, I think, R213. But it's not so jarring as to be unbelievable. I live in Texas and I hear people with even stronger accents. I think they enjoy the drama a bit. I don't have an accent until I go to California and visit my brother. He corrects me by laughing when I claim my accent is neutral.

by Anonymousreply 214September 7, 2018 11:08 AM

I've spent time in the actual Ozarks and Ruth's accent does not sound unusual. Lots of redne…oops, I mean people who tend to speak more southern than with a Missouri twang.

by Anonymousreply 215September 7, 2018 2:36 PM

Fantastic series.

by Anonymousreply 216September 7, 2018 2:42 PM

I kind of like how season 2 ended...Wendy crossed to the dark side.

by Anonymousreply 217September 7, 2018 3:00 PM

Next time, R217 : SPOILERS

by Anonymousreply 218September 7, 2018 3:04 PM

R200 can you believe there was a time when Marc Menchaca looked like this ?

I'm with everyone else. Wendy and Ruth are like putting this show on their backs lifting it to greatness. The creepy son ain't doing half bad either.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219September 7, 2018 3:10 PM

I would have to guess that in this climate, the disappearance of a pregnant minister's wife while the baby just appeared all cleaned up in the home would raise a little bit of ruckus in the press. Especially since the the minister was leveling accusations against a prominent local family and a johnny-come-lately investor. Of course, the minister would come under suspicion, too, especially after his very halting sermon that day. But for the story to vanish without a trace would just not happen until there had been several PEOPLE covers and the feds coming in.

by Anonymousreply 220September 7, 2018 5:57 PM

I loved the first season. I haven't watched the second season yet.

by Anonymousreply 221September 7, 2018 7:48 PM

"Next time, [R217] : SPOILERS"

It's a thread about the show; stay away if you don't want spoilers.

by Anonymousreply 222September 7, 2018 10:12 PM

You can still discuss the show while posting spoiler warnings. It's done everywhere else.

by Anonymousreply 223September 7, 2018 11:17 PM

Random thought:

But the chubby ginger Langmore is so odd looking in a good way. He can go from guy-nextdoor to hillbilly with a few changes to his hair and beard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224September 8, 2018 6:09 AM

Loved. It.

Though I wanted to strangle the bratty kids (a common reaction on my part)

by Anonymousreply 225September 8, 2018 6:32 AM

[quote]r23 Actress who plays Ruth-- Julia Garner

She was very good in an important role on THE AMERICANS, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226September 8, 2018 6:37 AM

Why is this not out on DVD?

by Anonymousreply 227September 8, 2018 8:33 PM

Because it's Netflix and because it's 2018. They probably have crunched the numbers and don't think it's worth it to print and distribute DVDs based on sales projections.

by Anonymousreply 228September 8, 2018 9:50 PM

I know that is the reason R228 but it sucks. I am not going to subscribe to Netflix just to watch this one show that I want to OWN, not watch on subscription.

by Anonymousreply 229September 9, 2018 11:55 AM

THIS SHOW IS AMAZING.

by Anonymousreply 230September 9, 2018 11:59 AM

SPOILER ALERT

I loved season 2, but right now I don't know who scares me most: Wendy, Darlene, or the cartel attorney.

by Anonymousreply 231September 9, 2018 12:08 PM

LOL! I just scrolled down extremely quickly to gauge your opinions on Season 2 as the critical reviews have been mixed. It appears you all have loved it! I am trying to not let my eyes go to post above while I type because I know that it is a spoiler. I think I will watch Season 2 around Thanksgiving along with House of Cards final season!

by Anonymousreply 232September 9, 2018 12:17 PM

I enjoyed Season 2 a lot, but I liked season 1 more. Wendy's ascendancy was the highlight for me and Linney was great. The political angle and Wilkes was a nice addition, and McTeer as the cartel attorney was fantastic. Everybody did a good job, but it felt bloated. I said earlier and still feel that the Mason arc and the introduction of Ruth's father was wholly unnecessary and took away from the rest. I guess what I liked about Season 2, I liked as much as Season 1, but as where season 1 didn't have much superfluous material, season 2 did have some, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 233September 9, 2018 4:12 PM

I enjoyed S2 more than S1 as S1 was so slow to get going. Julia Garner is fantastic though. S2 seems very female-led with interesting performances and storylines from the women.

Garner, Linney and McTeer as well as the actresses playing Rachel and even the daughter were brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 234September 9, 2018 6:47 PM

I loved both seasons and binged them all in a week. Wow.

SPOILERS

A lot of Marty's plans made when he was thinking they would leave now have to revised, i.e. the Kansas City mob and giving Zeke to Darlene. Aside from the mob complications, you know the kids will see Darlene with the baby at some point and have a meltdown that their parents gave him to her.

Agent Petty's death will come back to bite Marty in the ass. When they eventually find the body, he will be the prime suspect even though he had nothing to do with it.

Now that most of the gays have been killed off, we need some new ones next season. Even though he presented as straight, was hoping that hot ginger bear Wilkes might have been gay but that seems unlikely now.

by Anonymousreply 235September 11, 2018 3:51 PM

No sir, I don’t like it.

by Anonymousreply 236September 11, 2018 4:02 PM

Loved season 1 and as soon as I finish Ray Donovan season 5 I will do season 2.

by Anonymousreply 237September 11, 2018 4:04 PM

How's RD season 5, R237? I'm about to start watching it.

by Anonymousreply 238September 11, 2018 4:07 PM

Sexy

by Anonymousreply 239September 11, 2018 4:09 PM

SPOILER

Wonder who else Wendy will have killed next season? Will she and Helen be BFFs now?

And if you were Helen's husband, wouldn't you be worried if you pissed her off by being unfaithful, she'd have your dick cut off?

Why wouldn't Darlene have had kids years ago if she wanted them so badly? Also a little surprised she and her husband turned on each other so quickly.

Man, I thought that hillbilly bear might throw a mean fuck. "Fifty times harder, " huh? No wonder Petty mourned him.

by Anonymousreply 240September 11, 2018 11:58 PM

I was up way too late finishing the last two episodes. ** SPOILER ** I must have dozed off during the scene which explained the aftermath of Jacob's demise. How did Darlene get away with it? Wouldn't there be traces of cyanide found in the autopsy?

by Anonymousreply 241September 12, 2018 6:51 AM

SPOILER

I don't recall it being addressed directly, R241. Maybe somebody heard a line of dialogue I missed but I thought it was probably just a plot hole.

Sort of like how their car was ambushed by multiple gunmen with semi-automatic weapons but they were able to drive away and only Jacob was injured in the shoulder with a wound he didn't need surgery or even professional medical care for.

You'd think people on this show would learn by now that if you see a car in the middle of the road ahead of you, blocking access, to drive like hell in the opposite direction.

by Anonymousreply 242September 12, 2018 1:41 PM

I believe that is a truth that extends far beyond this show R242.

by Anonymousreply 243September 12, 2018 2:10 PM

Expecting new gay characters for Season 3 now.

by Anonymousreply 244September 13, 2018 4:16 PM

I was surprised to read that it was Netflix's highest-rated series, by a long way. I'd never heard anything about it up until that point.

by Anonymousreply 245September 13, 2018 4:20 PM

Season 2 barreled along and very rarely stopped to let the story breathe. There were moments like the son's comments at the funeral and Marty's increasing despair over the way things have fallen apart where you got a sense of the humanity that does still exist in these characters. I liked that. Otherwise scenes went from turmoil to turmoil to murder after murder. This is not to say that I could stop watching it because I couldn't. It is a well oiled machine that keep delivering the jolts. And the acting of the female leads are compelling and real. Loved McAteer as Helen.

by Anonymousreply 246September 13, 2018 4:33 PM

Janet McTeer's cartel attorney reminded me soooooo much of Jane Lynch. I was kind of annoyed how often she said "My client....my client...my client...my client..."

by Anonymousreply 247September 13, 2018 4:40 PM

This show has the same issue a lot of shows set in New York have. People have the magical ability to transport themselves between places in a moment's notice when in reality, hours of driving would be required. Saint Louis is about three hours away by car, Kansas City maybe a little less so. Wendy and the kids had to meet the private detective someplace in Illinois, which would have been even farther away. Yet, they were always popping up to KC just like it was a bit up the road.

by Anonymousreply 248September 13, 2018 4:47 PM

R248, we can assume the trips took as long as they did. Did you expect them to show the whole drive? Yes, the places you name are hours away, but it's not like people actually don't drive those distances for any number of reasons.

by Anonymousreply 249September 13, 2018 6:11 PM

No one expects them to show the whole trip, R248. That would be stupid, unless the boredom of the drive was part of the story arc. The point is that they were traveling significant distances every day with nary a mention of it or thoughts of maybe spending the night there. But go ahead, be an asshole about something you're too dim to comprehend.

by Anonymousreply 250September 16, 2018 1:03 AM

I can comprehend it, but I don't let it bother me or ruin the show. Apparently you can't handle it, R250. Travel realism has ruined Ozark for you. Too bad, it's pretty good. Of course, the reality is that you don't actually care and just wanted something to complain about. Because, really, who would give a fuck about such a thing?

by Anonymousreply 251September 16, 2018 2:09 AM

If you didn't care, R251, you wouldn't have felt the need to comment about it. But as one of DL's mincing prisspots, you have to be a cunt about pretty much anything that strikes outside your narrow, basement-restricted worldview. I'd feel some measure of sympathy for you, except you choose to be an ass.

by Anonymousreply 252September 16, 2018 7:55 PM

Ellen Kuras directed 2 episodes from season 1!! Fuckin' A!

She was the cinematographer on Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I liked that they did a bit on her in the DVD extras of that movie. Anyway, cool! The show is amazing btw.

by Anonymousreply 253September 18, 2018 7:26 PM

I just finished binge watching both seasons. Have a question, why did Darlene kill her husband? They just turned on each other too quickly for it to ring true to me.

by Anonymousreply 254September 25, 2018 3:10 PM

Same here, r254. I think they both thought the other was handling the situation in the wrong way, but after seeing a little of their history and devotion, I was surprised how things ended. I also wondered why they'd never had kids. I don't think you turn to your spouse after 45 years and say, "I want a baby."

by Anonymousreply 255September 25, 2018 3:58 PM

I want to fuck the young redneck with the long hair

by Anonymousreply 256September 25, 2018 6:04 PM

Watching season 2. Am I the only one who thinks TOO much happens each episode? Slow the f down. Also NO ONE is like able.

by Anonymousreply 257September 26, 2018 5:58 AM

[R229] Look on eBay. There are several seller ads for season 1 dvds. They are Region 1 though and FYC copies for Emmy awards consideration.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258September 30, 2018 2:20 AM

So ridiculous that critics hated on this season, I thought it was even better than S1. Julia Garner is obviously a major new star (just see her on Netflix's MANIAC and past work on THE AMERICANS) and she should get some awards recognition for her work on this. Janet McTeer was resplendent, hoping she is a major character in S3. Has Netflix renewed it yet? I know it is their most-watched show (rivaling STRANGER THINGS), so I assume so but confirmation would be appreciated. I like how it has a bit of a DAMAGES edge, too (whereas BLOODLINE, by the same creators, messed up).

by Anonymousreply 259September 30, 2018 2:33 AM

What is with ghe fbi agent jerking it?

by Anonymousreply 260November 3, 2018 1:41 AM

I really liked Blood Line too

by Anonymousreply 261November 3, 2018 4:04 AM

BLOODLINE could have gone for 2 more seasons, but I guess Netflix didn't agree. The show was written as a 5-season story, so they compressed a lot of the story to fit into S3. The show wasn't perfect, but I wish Netflix put their faith in it to see it through instead of it ending abruptly. The FL tax cuts removed from the equation sealed its fate.

by Anonymousreply 262November 3, 2018 6:47 AM

It looks like our wonderful Laura Linney just joined Instagram.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263November 8, 2018 5:53 AM

I love the sweet post Laura made about Armistead Maupin. It’s great that they still have this great relationship after all this time. I hope she’s involved with the new Tales of the City series in some fashion.

by Anonymousreply 264November 8, 2018 8:52 AM

Marathoning season 2. I think it’s great but Ruth has turned into a pussy as soon as Daddy turns up. Feel terrible for the poor street preacher. That Snell cunt is crazier than a shithouse rat.

by Anonymousreply 265November 14, 2018 7:05 AM

Their kid is turning out to be a natural at white collar crime.

by Anonymousreply 266November 14, 2018 6:37 PM

I’m kind of loving the cunt cartel attorney. Have a feeling she’ll have a bad end though.

by Anonymousreply 267November 14, 2018 10:14 PM

Julia Garner acts them all off the screen so hard it's embarrassing. She's the best thing in it by far.

by Anonymousreply 268November 14, 2018 10:20 PM

Julia Garner is genius. Period.

But, Janet McTeer as the Patty Hewes-esque cartel attorney threw major gravitas into the mix and elevated the season. She was/is delicious.

Nice work from Linney, but Garner and McTeer owned this season. I love this show, so happy it is so successful (Netflix's #1 drama, already renewed for S3).

by Anonymousreply 269November 15, 2018 1:43 AM

Linney is perfection in the scene in the car with Buddy.

by Anonymousreply 270November 24, 2018 12:15 AM

I think Laura Linney is a good actress but she always has a hard edge to me, I don't find her likable.

by Anonymousreply 271November 24, 2018 6:54 AM

[quote]r254 why did Darlene kill her husband?

SPOILER

The guberment was poised to take over the land they flooded. The husband knew he was beat, and was ready to surrender it. The wife wanted to stand by family pride and defend the land, come hell or high water.

She killed hubby to stop the transaction...but later made a deal to participate in exchange for the baby.

by Anonymousreply 272November 25, 2018 7:02 AM

Darlene is awfully invested in her husband’s family legacy and “pride”.

I hope they get that baby back because she’s a danger.

by Anonymousreply 273November 25, 2018 3:26 PM

Just finished season 2. It is the best thing on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 274December 7, 2018 6:02 PM

Jason Bateman still looks GOOD

by Anonymousreply 275December 7, 2018 6:17 PM

Linney is great, Bateman is about as one-note as it gets. He ruins almost all the scenes he is in.

by Anonymousreply 276December 7, 2018 7:47 PM

This show really got under my skin. Watched both seasons Sept - Nov. Enjoyed the mood, the cinematography that mirrors the lake - all those watery blues and greys. - the complexity of the marriage, Linney's character shaping up to be as dangerous as Darlene, and as much of a risk to her husband.

by Anonymousreply 277December 7, 2018 7:51 PM

[quote]Bateman is about as one-note as it gets. He ruins almost all the scenes he is in.

Hs melancholy / depression is the centre of the show. He has nothing to be upbeat about.

by Anonymousreply 278December 7, 2018 7:52 PM

[quote] I also wondered why they'd never had kids. I don't think you turn to your spouse after 45 years and say, "I want a baby."

She may have had miscarriages when they were younger. Or maybe there is backstory that will come out - I can see a long lost / estranged son or daughter emerging.

by Anonymousreply 279December 7, 2018 7:56 PM

[quote] r278 Hs melancholy / depression is the centre of the show. He has nothing to be upbeat about.

I imagine being low key and even keeled is an advantage for an investment banker / money launderer, as well.

It's interesting that in some shows, it's not the central character who's the most exciting. It's their situation that's interesting, and the people who surround them.

by Anonymousreply 280December 7, 2018 11:35 PM

So is crazy hillbilly bitch the real hillbilly family or was her husband? One of them married into the crazy.

I have to love the sound track. The choice of Witchita Lineman at the end of the ep where she kills her husband was great.

by Anonymousreply 281December 8, 2018 5:22 AM

Just started on this. Love it so far.

by Anonymousreply 282June 7, 2019 11:38 PM

I can't wait for the next season. "Ozarks" and "Better Call Saul" are my two favorite current series.

by Anonymousreply 283June 9, 2019 11:09 PM

I loved 2nd season. And I liked the 1st season. Good stuff.

by Anonymousreply 284June 9, 2019 11:35 PM

I just started this series. I’m on season 2, so far so good but I can’t stand the kids.

by Anonymousreply 285February 20, 2020 1:06 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!