Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

John Heard has Passed Away

6 John Heard, the beloved star of several huge 80s and 90s movies, died Friday in Palo Alto, CA ... TMZ has learned.

Heard was found dead in a hotel by the maid service ... according to family sources. Police were called to the hotel for a report of a medical emergency, but he was pronounced dead on the scene. The coroner is investigating, and cause of death is unclear at this time.

We do know this ... according to his rep, John had "minor back surgery" Wednesday at Stanford Medical Center, and he was staying at the hotel while he recovered.

He is probably best known for his lead roles in several films, including Chilly Scenes of Winter, Heart Beat, Cutter's Way, Cat People, and C.H.U.D., as well as supporting roles in After Hours, Big, Beaches, Awakenings, Rambling Rose, The Pelican Brief, My Fellow Americans, Snake Eyes, and Animal Factory. He also played Peter McCallister in Home Alone and Home Alone 2: Lost in New York, as well as appearing in Sharknado. Heard was nominated for an Emmy Award in 1999 for guest starring on The Sopranos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198July 6, 2020 10:23 PM

Always liked him. One of those under the radar actors. Hot as hell when he was younger.

by Anonymousreply 1July 22, 2017 1:25 PM

How sad. RIP.

by Anonymousreply 2July 22, 2017 1:25 PM

Didn't he used to beat up Melissa Leo when they were together?

by Anonymousreply 3July 22, 2017 1:27 PM

Who?

by Anonymousreply 4July 22, 2017 1:28 PM

Kevvvvvviinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

by Anonymousreply 5July 22, 2017 1:28 PM

He was excellent in "Trip To Bountiful."

I agree he was hot when he was younger. I passed him once on the streets of Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 6July 22, 2017 1:28 PM

[quote] Hot as hell when he was younger.

Don't quit your day job.

by Anonymousreply 7July 22, 2017 1:30 PM

That's a shame. He's done a lot of good acting work in his time.

by Anonymousreply 8July 22, 2017 1:32 PM

I always got him confused with Ryan O'Neil.

by Anonymousreply 9July 22, 2017 1:33 PM

young John

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 22, 2017 1:35 PM

[quote] He has a son, John Matthew "Jack" Heard, with ex-girlfriend Melissa Leo.[6] Heard was arrested in 1991 and charged with third-degree assault for allegedly slapping Leo.[7] In 1997, he was found guilty of trespassing Leo's home in Baltimore, Maryland's Fell's Point neighborhood, but acquitted of charges of trespassing at their son's school.[8]

by Anonymousreply 11July 22, 2017 1:35 PM

I thought he died years and years ago but then I realized that was just his character on The Sopranos.

by Anonymousreply 12July 22, 2017 1:35 PM

First saw him on stage in David Rabe's STREAMERS. He was riveting.

by Anonymousreply 13July 22, 2017 1:35 PM

I preferred John Hurt.

by Anonymousreply 14July 22, 2017 1:37 PM

He used to date Cher.

by Anonymousreply 15July 22, 2017 1:44 PM

Speaking of... I liked him as an actor, especially in "After Hours:" though he never became the big star they predicted after "Cutter's Bone" (awful title). Apparently was a bit of a pain in the ass, which didn't help. Director Randa Haines famously told him in front of the whole crew, after a long discussion/argument, "You know, when I hired you, I thought I was getting John HURT!" and stormed away.

by Anonymousreply 16July 22, 2017 1:45 PM

Wasn't he stalking an ex?

by Anonymousreply 17July 22, 2017 1:46 PM

Wow. Did he pull a Judy Garland and take too much medication?

by Anonymousreply 18July 22, 2017 1:48 PM

Damn. This Chester, Chris and John scandal is unravelling.

by Anonymousreply 19July 22, 2017 1:48 PM

May I correct... the movie, with an accurate but dreary and dull junkie performance from Lisa Eichorn, was called "Cutter and Bone" on first release, then renamed "Cutter's Way" inexplicably. Bombed with both names.

by Anonymousreply 20July 22, 2017 1:48 PM

He really was a fine actor. Too bad he didn't work more. I remember him from The Pelican Brief. He played Sam Shepard's Best friend. (Now Sam Shepherd is an alcoholic and a wife beater. Yes. he beat JEssica Lange.. For years.) It sounds to me as if Melissa & John had a bad relationship and maybe she was being spiteful. It doesn't sound like he was a serial abuser. A slap in the face and you call the cops? And the guy wants to see his kid and you call it "trespassing?" I love Melissa, and not trying to condone battery. Slapping her in the face was wrong regardless of context.

by Anonymousreply 21July 22, 2017 1:48 PM

Great actor. Big drunk. Sad end.

by Anonymousreply 22July 22, 2017 1:49 PM

He did an episode of Miami Vice playing a dirty lawyer that was pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 23July 22, 2017 1:52 PM

I didn't know there were hotels in Palo Alto.

by Anonymousreply 24July 22, 2017 1:56 PM

I wonder what Melissa did to make him so angry?

by Anonymousreply 25July 22, 2017 1:56 PM

So young...

by Anonymousreply 26July 22, 2017 1:57 PM

He did have talent as an actor, but I always found him rather creepy. That worked well in some roles but not other.

A friend had back surgery at that hospital, BTW. The place has a stellar reputation, but they sent him home with what turned out to be a life-threatening post-operative complication. It was damn near a case of "The surgery was a success, even if the patient died".

by Anonymousreply 27July 22, 2017 1:58 PM

R24. Yeah. A couple. The Four Seasons is down University Avenue in East Palo Alto. And the old standby right where University Ave hits El Camino, damn I can't remember name. It's nice. Fuckin Alzheimer's.

by Anonymousreply 28July 22, 2017 2:02 PM

[quote]It sounds to me as if Melissa & John had a bad relationship and maybe she was being spiteful. It doesn't sound like he was a serial abuser. A slap in the face and you call the cops? And the guy wants to see his kid and you call it "trespassing?"

[quote]I wonder what Melissa did to make him so angry?

The Datalounge in a nutshell, ladies and gentlemen.

by Anonymousreply 29July 22, 2017 2:03 PM

R29. ....... and it's why I love it.

by Anonymousreply 30July 22, 2017 2:04 PM

I remember watching him as Rev. Dimmesdale in "The Scarlett Letter" on PBS, way way back. I thought he was quite handsome as a young man. I hate to hear that he was an abusive jerk later in life.

by Anonymousreply 31July 22, 2017 2:07 PM

I liked Deceived with him & Goldie Hawn.

by Anonymousreply 32July 22, 2017 2:22 PM

He had great small parts in "After Hours" and "Beavhes."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 22, 2017 2:26 PM

^^^ *Beaches

by Anonymousreply 34July 22, 2017 2:28 PM

Handsome guy. I liked him in Cat People. The movie sucked, but I couldn't take my then teen eyes off of him. Nasty-a Kinski either.

by Anonymousreply 35July 22, 2017 2:28 PM

I had thought he went to jail for child molestation, but then I remembered that was Jeffrey Jones.

by Anonymousreply 36July 22, 2017 2:30 PM

Who's going to run the Falcon Players?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37July 22, 2017 2:30 PM

He played the seemingly dumb VP in My Fellow Americans, a late 90s film that gave a sweet salute to gays.

by Anonymousreply 38July 22, 2017 2:36 PM

How is a bunch of guys dressed as Dorothy from [italic]The Wizard of Oz[/italic] in a pride parade "a sweet salute to gays"? I thought it was condescending and offensive.

by Anonymousreply 39July 22, 2017 2:37 PM

r39 is mad that they weren't the dancing rabbis who marched, and then saved the president.

by Anonymousreply 40July 22, 2017 2:39 PM

Ludie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41July 22, 2017 2:39 PM

I only remember him as Kevin's inattentive father in the 'Home Alone' movies.

by Anonymousreply 42July 22, 2017 2:41 PM

r42, you must have been inattentive.

by Anonymousreply 43July 22, 2017 2:45 PM

R43

How dare you! Good day, sir!

by Anonymousreply 44July 22, 2017 2:46 PM

He was the Gentleman Caller in the 80s revival of The Glass Menagerie with Jessica Tandy, Bruce Davison and Amanda Plummer.

by Anonymousreply 45July 22, 2017 2:47 PM

Handsome guy. Good actor.

Nightmare on the set. I had three separate friends who worked with him on shows and they all HATED him. Went out of his way to be creepy towards women.

by Anonymousreply 46July 22, 2017 2:52 PM

R40: I'm also not crazy about them glorifying UNC fans, either, after having to actually deal with them in real life, but that was partly because [italic]Space Jam[/italic] came out the same year from the same studio.

by Anonymousreply 47July 22, 2017 3:03 PM

RIP!

Other than home alone and his great performance on the Sopranos, I remember him from the Tom Hanks movie "BIG".

by Anonymousreply 48July 22, 2017 3:19 PM

Do you remember Tony's dream in the Sopranos? Tony and Carmela were having dinner and the "dead" John Heard character was suddenly Meadow's future father in law - in the dream he was married to the real Annette Bening - the weird part was John H crooning "Once, Twice, Three Times a Lady" - while Tony's bloody teeth kept coming out and he would spit them into a napkin while everyone smiled - it was a great episode!

by Anonymousreply 49July 22, 2017 3:19 PM

When he was young he made Chilly Scenes of Winter (1979). It's also known as Head Over Heels.

He plays a young man emotionally obsessed with his ex-girlfriend played by Mary Beth Hurt. Also starring Peter Reinert as his best friend. There's a lot of humor in a what is mostly a sad tale of a group of immature young people trying to adjust to adulthood. I related.

by Anonymousreply 50July 22, 2017 3:30 PM

I never heard of someone recovering from surgery in a hotel room. You would think only someone totally alone would do that. I always think of America's terrible healthcare killing the poor not the ( I assume ) wealthy.

by Anonymousreply 51July 22, 2017 3:40 PM

Does seem odd, r51. Heart attack with a hooker? Drugs?

by Anonymousreply 52July 22, 2017 3:42 PM

I loved him in "Beavhes"

by Anonymousreply 53July 22, 2017 3:44 PM

I heard he was involved in domestic abuse with someone before Melissa Leo, back in the 80s

by Anonymousreply 54July 22, 2017 3:46 PM

Thanks for my morning guffaw, R53!

by Anonymousreply 55July 22, 2017 3:47 PM

[quote] I never heard of someone recovering from surgery in a hotel room

There are hotels that have rooms specifically for that purpose and they're mostly used for plastic surgery patients.

by Anonymousreply 56July 22, 2017 3:48 PM

Aw. 90s kid here so he'll always be Peter McAllister to me.

by Anonymousreply 57July 22, 2017 3:49 PM

I saw [italic]Home Alone[/italic] three times when it was in theaters and the sequel another three times. As an adult, you have to do a lot to get me to go to see a movie in a theater once.

by Anonymousreply 58July 22, 2017 3:59 PM

Ugh. He gain weight.

by Anonymousreply 59July 22, 2017 4:00 PM

As a kid, I only knew him from his role in the Home Alone movies. Was pleasently surprised to find that he had done so much good work before and after. It was fun seeing him act alongside Daniel Stern in CHUD, a terrific creature feature. Also enjoyed him in Cat People.

Saw him in a guest spot on a show called APB recently and was shocked at how aged and overweight he had become.

by Anonymousreply 60July 22, 2017 4:02 PM

One of his big roles was Cutter's Way from 1981:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61July 22, 2017 4:06 PM

[quote]Didn't he used to beat up Melissa Leo when they were together?

I didn't know this. I do know that he used to beat up Margot Kidder when they were together.

Looks like he was a serial woman abuser after all.

by Anonymousreply 62July 22, 2017 4:07 PM

Beating up Melissa Leo and Margot Kidder isn't abuse...it's a public service. RIP

by Anonymousreply 63July 22, 2017 4:18 PM

Despite their title changes, both CUTTER'S WAY and CHILLY SCENES OF WINTER were really good films with good casts. Introspective, sometimes dark, intelligent, funny films- the kind that NEVER get made any more.

by Anonymousreply 64July 22, 2017 4:18 PM

Too bad. Last saw him in a Modern Family episode.

by Anonymousreply 65July 22, 2017 4:19 PM

John Hurt and John Heard died within 7 months of each other!!!

Can William Hurt, Marybeth Hurt and Amber Heard be far behind???

by Anonymousreply 66July 22, 2017 5:10 PM

It's Gale AnnE HURD.

by Anonymousreply 67July 22, 2017 5:13 PM

Why doesn't he merit a "***BREAKING***" headline?

by Anonymousreply 68July 22, 2017 5:30 PM

Good, solid actor. Played the cool priest in the underrated "Heaven Help Us."

by Anonymousreply 69July 22, 2017 5:35 PM

Will Broadway dim for him?

by Anonymousreply 70July 22, 2017 5:37 PM

Died. "Passed away" is twee.

by Anonymousreply 71July 22, 2017 5:41 PM

He is the only passenger I have ever asked to be removed from a flight prior to pushback. I was serving pre-departure cocktails in F/C on an L10 ATL/LAX in the late 90s, and when I bent slightly at the waist to place his drink on his tray table he reached up and grabbed each boob with his two hands.

RIP .

by Anonymousreply 72July 22, 2017 5:48 PM

Any nudes? Please post.

Your kind generosity will be greatly appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 73July 22, 2017 5:52 PM

Yes, r73. I always thought he was part of the Val Kilmer crusade against movie nudity.

by Anonymousreply 74July 22, 2017 5:56 PM

[quote] There are hotels that have rooms specifically for that purpose and they're mostly used for plastic surgery patients.

That was my first thought, which is why I'm wondering if will be hearing more

[quote] Grand each boob with his two hands

Are you a man or a woman… (g)

[quote] ...the underrated Heaven Help Us

Underrated? It's only the greatest, sweetest, and most intelligent teenage film ever done. And he was GREAT in it.

by Anonymousreply 75July 22, 2017 6:06 PM

When was Val Kilmer ever asked to be nude in a movie?

by Anonymousreply 76July 22, 2017 6:07 PM

^^Grabbed^^

by Anonymousreply 77July 22, 2017 6:07 PM

R66 Oh, come on-- that's just herd mentality.

by Anonymousreply 78July 22, 2017 6:14 PM

As the bartender in Scorsese's After Hours - although what everyone remembers is the two leather guys kissing in the background

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79July 22, 2017 6:56 PM

R75 I'm a woman, And if he had looked like he did in After Hours I might not have minded.

JK.

by Anonymousreply 80July 22, 2017 6:58 PM

After Hours is still one of my favorite movies.

by Anonymousreply 81July 22, 2017 7:20 PM

[quote] It sounds to me as if Melissa & John had a bad relationship and maybe she was being spiteful. It doesn't sound like he was a serial abuser. A slap in the face and you call the cops? And the guy wants to see his kid and you call it "trespassing?" I love Melissa, and not trying to condone battery. Slapping her in the face was wrong regardless of context.

You're a deluded apologist. You're going to think of up some deluded narrative for some actor you've seen in a few movies? You're just like a deplorable. And yes, (wrongly) thinking she was being unreasonable for calling the cops after he slapped her is actually condoning it. You dope

And here's a little more about what happened. Not just some stupid version you think happened. He had a history of physically abusing Melissa and lost custody because of his unreasonable, CRAZY behavior. He used to stalk and harass Melissa and their son, He used to come to the set of her job on Homicide Life on The Street and harass her. For weeks he used to sit outside his son's school and watch him with binoculars. She had to get restraining orders against him keeping him away from her, her work and their child's school. He waged constant custody hearings for TEN YEARS, which saw him go through more than 10 lawyers because they all thought he was crazy and he would go and find another lawyer who would represent him.. He called and harassed Melissa over 100 times in a couple of months and left threatening messages on her answering machine. And aside from his case of assaulting her, he also had a criminal trespass case, where he admitted to terrorizing her (those were his words). He was forced to pay most of her legal bills (over $300,000) because he kept launching insane custody motions. And you think she was wrong to call the cops. You may want to rethink that opinion.

by Anonymousreply 82July 22, 2017 7:22 PM

R62 = Melissa Leo

by Anonymousreply 83July 22, 2017 7:53 PM

83 replies in and no one has asked what was on his ipod?

by Anonymousreply 84July 22, 2017 7:54 PM

Actress/author Illeana Douglas conducted Heard's final interview, just 4 days ago:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85July 22, 2017 8:15 PM

What was on his iPod?

"I Heard -- a Rumor" by Bananarama

by Anonymousreply 86July 22, 2017 8:24 PM

Has McCauley Culkin issued a,statement?

by Anonymousreply 87July 22, 2017 8:40 PM

He was wacky in "Out on a Limb" with that old cunt before she was an old cunt, our favorite, Shirley You'reToBlame. ( Sachi Parker's life portal)......... Played a very mystic spiritual young man..... I don't know why I was SO shocked to read about his dropping his meat bag.....it wasn't like he was 22......

I liked him as an actor. He was Great As Vic in the Sopranos. RIP Mr. Heard.

by Anonymousreply 88July 22, 2017 8:49 PM

So, what's the son look like?

by Anonymousreply 89July 22, 2017 8:56 PM

First saw him on Broadway in WARP and he had a beautiful body back then. Had some professional dealings with him later on and he was always charming and sweet though somewhat guarded.

by Anonymousreply 90July 22, 2017 8:57 PM

Thanks, (R31) I first noticed in in "The Scarlett Letter," and thought he was terrific, about 1981.

In recent years he looked like a bloated, scotch-swilling Boston lawyer. Too bad.

by Anonymousreply 91July 22, 2017 9:13 PM

OK, this is off-topic, but when I saw Cat People, I thought the sexiest person in it wasn't him, or even Nastassia Kinski, but Malcolm McDowell. Flash forward 30 years. I see a fat short guy sitting alone in First Class. I went up to Malcolm, and said "I loved you in Cat .People." Great reply, "Yes, I was beautiful once." We were on a flight to Montreal in February! He was right behind me at Customs, and no one else recognized him.

by Anonymousreply 92July 22, 2017 9:16 PM

Why the fuck would anyone want to go to Montreal in the midmost midst of winter?

by Anonymousreply 93July 22, 2017 9:18 PM

Didn't he get in trouble for beating up Melissa Leo?

by Anonymousreply 94July 22, 2017 9:19 PM

[quote]I never heard of someone recovering from surgery in a hotel room. You would think only someone totally alone would do that. I always think of America's terrible healthcare killing the poor not the ( I assume ) wealthy.

It happens sometimes with people who have had minor surgeries. A few years ago, my husband's younger sister decided to get a rhinoplasty done in the city where we live. She and my husband's parents live an hour and a half away from us. My in-laws were against her getting plastic surgery and my mother-in-law said she wouldn't stay with her after the surgery. . We offered for her to stay with us.

She told us that she didn't want to be a bother and that the plastic surgeon often arranged for nurses to stay with patients in hotel rooms for the first 24 hours after procedures. In her case, the nurse drove her to hotel after the surgery and stayed with her to monitor the bleeding and to show her how to change the dressings under the nose. After the 24 hours were up the nurse left and my sister-in-law was on her own, but was advised to call the nurse or surgeon if there were issues. We took her food and checked on her daily over the next week. Seven days after surgery, the nose splint was removed and she headed back home.

by Anonymousreply 95July 22, 2017 9:27 PM

For R48

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96July 22, 2017 9:40 PM

[quote]Has McCauley Culkin issued a,statement?

I wonder about that. Maybe Catherine O'Hara will issue a statement as well. I thought she and John had good chemistry as a married couple in the Home Alone movies.

by Anonymousreply 97July 22, 2017 9:49 PM

If you watch the video of his interview with Illeanna Douglas you can see him doing what looks like quite a few nasal coke swipes. At one point he even apologizes for wiping his nose so much. Considering how overweight he was, combined with potential drug abuse, his death is not much of a surprise.

by Anonymousreply 98July 22, 2017 9:50 PM

R93, I was going for work, and I assume so was he.

by Anonymousreply 99July 22, 2017 9:56 PM

The mark of a successful character actor. People see the obituary photo and think, "oh THAT guy".

by Anonymousreply 100July 22, 2017 10:00 PM

An abusive Irish drunk who didn't age well. Where have I heard that before? Oh, everywhere. Face it, tinymeat has consequences.

by Anonymousreply 101July 22, 2017 10:03 PM

Sorry. Forgot my picture.

I AM SOLOMON THE WISE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102July 22, 2017 10:06 PM

Wonder if it wasn't the keyhole back surgery where they inject "cement". Patients leave after a few hours. The surgery might not have had anything to do with his death.

by Anonymousreply 103July 22, 2017 10:12 PM

If he beat up woman, Heard was a Turd.

by Anonymousreply 104July 22, 2017 10:35 PM

Here's a pic of his son with Leo, 7 years ago when she won the Oscar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105July 22, 2017 10:44 PM

If someone who appeared in the Home Alone films had to die, why couldn't it have been this guy?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106July 22, 2017 10:47 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if he was recovering in a hotel room because he was completely alone, as mentioned above. All the stories about him are terrible. His other son from a later marriage died a few years ago. The Guardian's obit links to the son's obit, and I thought it was telling that it says the son loved and was was loved by his mother and sister, but doesn't mention his father.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107July 22, 2017 10:49 PM

What did his son die from?

by Anonymousreply 108July 22, 2017 10:54 PM

[quote]but doesn't mention his father.

Oh I wouldn't say it doesn't mention his father r107...

[quote]Max was in deep grief of not having a father participating in his life. We did everything to help him, but the agony was with him.

by Anonymousreply 109July 22, 2017 11:07 PM

Ah, sorry. I missed that part somehow. I was looking at the "survived by..." part. I guess that says it all.

by Anonymousreply 110July 22, 2017 11:22 PM

Interesting, R90. I always thought he came across a bit "guarded" on-screen too, you know? Never seemed like much of an open book in comparison to some of the greats before him.

by Anonymousreply 111July 23, 2017 12:07 AM

So did the son die from a suicide-overdose?

by Anonymousreply 112July 23, 2017 12:52 AM

R112 I suspect that, but of course Heard's ex wife might have not wanted to reveal that in the obit.

by Anonymousreply 113July 23, 2017 1:12 AM

Heard' ex lambasted him in the son's obit. I'm guessing suicide or overdose.

by Anonymousreply 114July 23, 2017 1:44 AM

Good actor. One of my first crushes. I found him incredibly, incredibly sexy in Cat People. He had a great body, I loved his voice and he and Nastassja Kinski had such great chemistry. The scene where he ties her up and fucks her is really hot.

And he had a great ass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115July 23, 2017 1:51 AM

sad, his son died just 10 months ago.

by Anonymousreply 116July 23, 2017 1:59 AM

People go to hotels after surgery all the time--big time places like Cleveland Clinic, Mayo, etc. have hotels on campus for this purpose. Not great in his later roles--bloated guy who seemed to have little range these days. Much better in his earlier roles. Liked him in "Chilly Scenes of Winter" and Heaven Help Us". Grew-up ib DC which makes it pretty likely that he's an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 117July 23, 2017 2:18 AM

Son max died six months ago. Committed suicide or od. Mom blamed John. How did u guys miss this story

by Anonymousreply 118July 23, 2017 2:28 AM

[quote]People go to hotels after surgery all the time--big time places like Cleveland Clinic, Mayo, etc.

Tell me about it. When Fred took me to Minnesota to have my gall bladder out, it was the only vacation we'd ever been on.

by Anonymousreply 119July 23, 2017 2:29 AM

I bet Melissa Leo is throwing a party tonight.

by Anonymousreply 120July 23, 2017 2:30 AM

[quote]I was SO shocked to read about his dropping his meat bag

I wonder how the poster who has a visceral reaction to euphemisms like "passed away" feels about this one.

by Anonymousreply 121July 23, 2017 2:40 AM

I still don't understand the Mellisa Leo thing and wiki is also badly written --

ML was JH's son's gf and JH got obsessed with her?

by Anonymousreply 122July 23, 2017 2:43 AM

Well, r71 , why don't we just rename it, "John Heard is Shoveling Shit in Hell" and have done with it?

by Anonymousreply 123July 23, 2017 3:13 AM

R45 Did someone say gentleman caller? Oh my.

by Anonymousreply 124July 23, 2017 3:20 AM

R122, I don't know where you got that. The Wikipedia article seems fairly clear. John Heard and Melissa Leo were in a relationship and had a son. In 1991, he (John Heard, not his son, who was 4 years old at the time) was arrested for slapping her. In 1996 he was arrested for trespassing and harassment for leaving nasty messages on her answering machine and lurking outside the kid's school watching through binoculars, among other things. You can always follow the references at the bottom of the page to read the original news stories.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125July 23, 2017 3:21 AM

leo looks like she can be one hell of a piece of work herself. she looks like she suffers o fools and gives as good as she gets.

by Anonymousreply 126July 23, 2017 4:24 AM

Leo definitely has a total ratchet quality to her. She probably gave it right back to him.

by Anonymousreply 127July 23, 2017 4:52 AM

J used to really enjoy his nude scenes in Cat People when I was a teen wa5ching HBO.

by Anonymousreply 128July 23, 2017 4:58 AM

I always got him confused with William Hurt. I understand BOTH of them are/were mean drunks? Yikes.

They were both so beautiful in their prime and similar looking. Do they both have small penises?

by Anonymousreply 129July 23, 2017 5:13 AM

The cops were called to Leo's house and he slapped her in front of the cops. Very poor impulse control. Also hestalked their son.

by Anonymousreply 130July 23, 2017 5:39 AM

Interesting podcast, R85, thanks for sharing! Especially interesting to hear about Gloria Grahame and about "Cutter and Bone"!

by Anonymousreply 131July 23, 2017 6:01 AM

Heard and Hurt played very different rles and Hurt didn't let himself become a blimp. Both are from DC, though.

by Anonymousreply 132July 23, 2017 12:16 PM

Hurt was exposed as a douche in a palimomy trial that was televised. He really hasn't done anything noteworthy since.

by Anonymousreply 133July 23, 2017 1:27 PM

Did MaryBeth Hurt sample both of their cocks or just Williams?

by Anonymousreply 134July 23, 2017 1:27 PM

Well this thread went off the rails pretty quickly

by Anonymousreply 135July 23, 2017 3:00 PM

Now see r125 I think that's where they made their mistake -- I've always thought they should have arrested the son.

by Anonymousreply 136July 23, 2017 3:02 PM

John Hurt died earlier this tear too.

Maybe John Heard found out, got confused, and died himself?

by Anonymousreply 137July 23, 2017 4:23 PM

I always got him mixed up with that British actor. Who's the one I'm thinking of?

by Anonymousreply 138July 23, 2017 4:36 PM

Benedict Cumberbatch, Rose/r138!

by Anonymousreply 139July 23, 2017 4:47 PM

[quote]Benedict Cumberbatch, Rose/[R138]!

No, the one who is a better looking version of Rupert Graves.

by Anonymousreply 140July 23, 2017 5:23 PM

In his prime no one was better looking than Rupert Graves.

by Anonymousreply 141July 23, 2017 5:28 PM

God was supposed to strike down John Heard but he got confused like the rest of us. He finally fixed it.

by Anonymousreply 142July 23, 2017 5:54 PM

LOL, R137! Now that is some good gallows humor.

A+

P.S. John HURT from the Elephant Man died too?!

by Anonymousreply 143July 23, 2017 7:12 PM

Goddammit. I keep forgetting John Hurt has died, and then become sad all over again when I'm reminded.

by Anonymousreply 144July 23, 2017 7:30 PM

he had a hot ass but I guess he couldn't live forever.

by Anonymousreply 145July 23, 2017 7:43 PM

Melissa Leo could've driven any man to crazy behavior, I imagine.

by Anonymousreply 146July 23, 2017 8:18 PM

Not if he's already there, R146.

by Anonymousreply 147July 23, 2017 8:36 PM

Heard seemed to work s lot, I certainly knew his face as soon as I saw it. I wonder why he didn't stay in touch with his son, Max? Maybe Max wasn't his biological son?

by Anonymousreply 148July 23, 2017 8:48 PM

yeah, leo looks like she would beat the shit out of you if you looked at her wrong for sure......she was no innocent in this shit.

by Anonymousreply 149July 23, 2017 11:34 PM

I read that Heard's death came 6 months after his son Max's. Max had died in his sleep (at 22??, no details given), wishing that he had had a relationship with his father. Heard must have been a piece of work.

by Anonymousreply 150July 24, 2017 1:06 AM

The DL does the work, the rest pick up on it: the Fail now has a post re Max Heard and his passing on the front page this evening. No other details than what was revealed in the kid's obit.

by Anonymousreply 151July 24, 2017 2:23 AM

[R148] I know the family, Max was his biological son.

by Anonymousreply 152July 24, 2017 2:50 AM

Ah, Datalounge. There are numerous accounts that Heard was a shitty person, but some DLers are insane enough to try to defend him by claiming it was everyone else's fault. "He was arrested for abusing Melissa Leo...but it must have been her fault!" "He abandoned his son and had no relationship with him...so maybe the kid wasn't his!" Seriously, what the fuck are some of you on?

All the stories of him mistreating women (not just Leo), of being a pain in the ass to work with... When there's this much smoke, there's fire. The guy was an asshole. That was common knowledge long ago.

by Anonymousreply 153July 24, 2017 3:21 AM

Melissa's son is still alive?

by Anonymousreply 154July 24, 2017 4:41 AM

Yes R154 Melissa's son is alive. Heard had a son and daughter with an ex wife named Sharon. The son with Sharon passed away .

by Anonymousreply 155July 24, 2017 5:14 AM

To the FA whose boobs he grabbed: was he indeed kicked off the flight? How did he take it?

by Anonymousreply 156July 24, 2017 5:17 AM

r141 George Mallory would like a word, from the grave.

by Anonymousreply 157July 24, 2017 5:58 AM

John was a friend of mine; he was a sweet soul, though, yes, hot headed. I am saddened, yet, miss his passion. John was funny, loving, and passionate. I miss him.

There is more to this .... then what was in the media....

by Anonymousreply 158July 31, 2017 10:32 PM

I actually believe that there is more to it. I have had that sense from the outset.

by Anonymousreply 159July 31, 2017 11:06 PM

I watched Cutter's Way a bunch of times but it was because of hot Jeff Bridges.

by Anonymousreply 160July 31, 2017 11:22 PM

He is very very wonderful in Bountiful.

He holds his own with Page's great performance.

by Anonymousreply 161August 1, 2017 12:39 AM

(159) yes our are right that there is more than that, Regardless, John is now hopefully in peace now. I knew him personally and he was a joy....may he rest in peace....

Someone who knew him, he should have lived .

by Anonymousreply 162August 1, 2017 1:28 AM

I have a friend who was involved w/him for a time. Friends w/benefits, although the sex sounded creepy and weird. If you can picture a sex life where the guy is flaccid at the point of entry and how depressing that is, it was that kind of thing. Half-assed, and that's if he got up the energy, so to speak, to even attempt entry. It wasn't an exclusive relationship or even a defined thing, but I do remember my skin crawling when I'd hear the details.

He was a dry drunk. He was smart in some ways, went to his AA meetings, but as addicted to drama as any drunk. He was in a custody battle over their son Jack when he hit Melissa Leo in the lobby of her building when he was bringing Jack back from a visit. The reason he was in a custody battle is he was paranoid that the courts were against him, he never listened to his lawyer, never listened to the judge, never did what he was supposed to do, always acted persecuted, and that's how Leo ended up with primary custody, and he never stopped whining and complaining about it. His rationale for hitting her? He wanted to be dragged into court so he could make his case about dad's rights and how the court system drove him to extreme measures to get his chance to be heard. Perfectly rationale, right? He ignored how the court system works - how the judicial system operated. That's how a bad movie or soap opera works. He knew better, but like I said, he'd rather play persecuted and fucked up than do what he needed to do to actually get what he claimed he wanted, which was equal time with his son Jack.

Then he marries this temp from New Jersey, Sharon, after barely meeting her, and they have twins. FF a bunch of years because my friend who knows him moves to L.A. When we next take up the subject of John Heard, she's telling me the marriage with Sharon broke up, that Sharon is now all sympathetic to Melissa Leo, and John Heard is constantly bitching and complaining that the twins have no manners, are spoiled, etc. Of course he didn't contribute at all to bringing them up and teaching them manners.

So of course. When Leo is "winning" and has more time w/Jack than he does, he wants more time w/Jack than anything in the world, and Leo is the enemy. When he can have as much time as he wants with the kids he has w/Sharon, he can't be bothered, he complaints, they're a pain in the ass, blah blah.

I don't know why or how Max died. The family obituary page is weird. Claims he died peacefully in his sleep, but that doesn't happen at 22 w/no mention of a chronic fatal illness. The obit adds that he was in agony over the lack of participation of a father in his life. Why any 22 year old would be in agony over missing the presence of John Heard is one big mystery, but he WAS famous compared to the non-Leo women he married or hung out with, so I guess that made him the star of his family, and when his kid couldn't get his attention the rejection felt that much bigger.

by Anonymousreply 163August 1, 2017 1:44 AM

I'm sorry, I missed something. Who did John hear had passed away?

by Anonymousreply 164August 1, 2017 1:48 AM

I could have sworn I read that he died about 10 years ago. Hmmm.

by Anonymousreply 165August 1, 2017 1:50 AM

There are a lot of young men and women who miss having had a parent in their life but they don't kill themselves over it.

If they did the human species would have died out by now.

Something is not being told.

by Anonymousreply 166August 1, 2017 2:03 AM

R163, your friend who enjoyed John's loose noodle was a woman, correct?

by Anonymousreply 167August 1, 2017 2:15 AM

I know I saw a news report on television about 10 years ago that John Heard died of a heart attack. I remember because they showed a picture of him and mentioned that he was in "Beaches" and "After Hours." Ever since, I just figured he was dead because I was told so and I never saw him in anything again. I wonder if the news show was pranked. And why would anyone do that?

by Anonymousreply 168August 1, 2017 2:19 AM

Or some reason it seems to hurt young people when their lousy fathers can not be bothered...it is as common as a thunder storm in summer. At least half the fathers out their, ignore their kids.

by Anonymousreply 169August 1, 2017 2:34 AM

Bountiful the film was aawsh in sentimentality, which Page being a bit too stagey. It was actually pretty good on Broadway with Tyson, although Cuba Gooding, Jr was a weak male lead.

by Anonymousreply 170August 2, 2017 1:59 AM

Lois Smith off Broadway gave a performance for the ages.

A couple of friends went asking me to join them but I said no. After it one of them said to me 'Well you missed one of the greatest performances of all time!'

So I went and he was right. It was.

by Anonymousreply 171August 2, 2017 2:11 AM

Strange no updates on cause of death

by Anonymousreply 172August 8, 2017 2:20 AM

[quote]Lois Smith off Broadway gave a performance for the ages

She was also wonderful in "The Grapes of Wrath." I used to have that performance on videotape, but I think I lost it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173August 8, 2017 2:31 AM

I'm surprised I am the only one who has posted this so far: I had sex with him, back in the late 80's. I met him at a bar, and he was drunk, and I was aggressive as hell and pursued him. I don't remember too much about it other than he had a slightly less than ok body, and wasn't very friendly or terribly nice. The sex wasn't that great, and was mutual oral. He was not comfortable or easy to be around, but I chalked that up to him being drunk and to obviously not being that interested in doing what we did. He was one of my early crushes, so I was somewhat relentless about getting him to say yes.

by Anonymousreply 174August 8, 2017 2:35 AM

He sounds like a male Betty Broderick.

by Anonymousreply 175August 8, 2017 2:42 AM

R174 Do I need to ask this? Are you male or female?

by Anonymousreply 176August 8, 2017 2:50 AM

Watching Heard in Between The Lines on the Criterion Channel. It’s hard to believe he was ever this gorgeous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177July 6, 2020 5:49 AM

R176 I know that is a three year old comment, but do men and women have “mutual oral” like R174 said?

by Anonymousreply 178July 6, 2020 5:51 AM

Yes they do.

by Anonymousreply 179July 6, 2020 5:55 AM

I found John Heard SO sexy in Cat People. Funny, in other films, I didn't. But somehow Paul Schrader just made him look and sound so sexy. He and Nastassja Kinski had great chemistry.

He obviously worked out for the film for the nude scenes because he looked hot. Great ass. I jerked off to the scene of him pumping away to Kinski.

by Anonymousreply 180July 6, 2020 6:16 AM

[R92] Are you my doppelgänger or am I yours? I also was on a business trip to Montreal where I also saw Malcolm McDowell, I also told him I loved him in Cat People, and he also replied, I used to be beautiful once. Where was your flight from? Mine left from DC. William Wilson

by Anonymousreply 181July 6, 2020 6:17 AM

R181 Freaky coincidence but I doubt the person at R92 will reply back and answer your questions that post is three years old and the person hasn’t posted since.

by Anonymousreply 182July 6, 2020 6:26 AM

R181 Maybe you wrote the reply at R92 three years ago and forgot you did?

by Anonymousreply 183July 6, 2020 6:27 AM

R181, the thread is three years old. You probably posted that yourself.

by Anonymousreply 184July 6, 2020 6:36 AM

I thought it was strange that this thread popped up since I knew he died a while ago .

by Anonymousreply 185July 6, 2020 6:44 AM

He used to get physical with Margot Kidder, too.

by Anonymousreply 186July 6, 2020 6:48 AM

R177 this movies a trip

I’m from Boston and those opening shots are nostalgic

by Anonymousreply 187July 6, 2020 6:56 AM

Trump must’ve said some thing even more stupid than his regular ramblings.

One of the contards has bumped yet another old thread.

Until after the inauguration day I will be using all of my FF‘s on the posters that bump old friends.

by Anonymousreply 188July 6, 2020 7:13 AM

This is the first time I've ever said "wow, I thought he already died" and actually got it right!

by Anonymousreply 189July 6, 2020 7:17 AM

OP is sad because nobody will happen to think of his death years afterward. And all it took to remember John Heard was a minute or two of courage in an otherwise misspent life. Oh well, c'est la vie.

by Anonymousreply 190July 6, 2020 7:19 AM

This is almost as bad as last year when I found out Luther Vandross was dead!

by Anonymousreply 191July 6, 2020 7:32 AM

John heard John hurt William hurt so confusing.

by Anonymousreply 192July 6, 2020 7:36 AM

I feel horrible, but R184 made me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 193July 6, 2020 7:38 AM

William Hurt was even more gorgeous!

by Anonymousreply 194July 6, 2020 7:47 AM

r177 now you've got me watching it. Everybody looks so young.

by Anonymousreply 195July 6, 2020 8:35 AM

And in the middle of the night too, R188. I didn't think the bump bitch got riled up until early morning hours.

by Anonymousreply 196July 6, 2020 9:14 AM

R196, guess where it wasn't the middle of the night when he did it....

by Anonymousreply 197July 6, 2020 3:53 PM

I live in Brooklyn, you cunts, and since the coronavirus wiped out my job, I stay up late. You motherfuckin’ accusers!

by Anonymousreply 198July 6, 2020 10:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!