Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

John Saxon

Watching him right now in "The Reluctant Debutante" on TCM. He was absolutely beautiful back in those days. While he didn't go on to achieve movie stardom, he's certainly had a long, successful career mostly in television. Anyone here know him or ever work with him?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110February 12, 2018 9:43 AM

The florid name should have been a tip-off (as well as the gayness) but he was one of Henry Willson's 'boys':

"Saxon, an Italian American, was born Carmine Orrico in Brooklyn, New York, the son of Anna (née Protettore) and Antonio Orrico, a dock worker. He attended New Utrecht High School, graduating in 1953. He then studied acting with famous acting coach Stella Adler. He started making films in the mid-1950s, playing teenage roles. According to Robert Hofler's 2005 biography The Man Who Invented Rock Hudson: The Pretty Boys and Dirty Deals of Henry Willson, agent Willson saw Saxon's picture on the cover of a detective magazine and immediately contacted the boy's family in Brooklyn. With parents' permission, the 17-year-old Orrico signed with Willson, and he was renamed John Saxon. He signed with Universal Studios in April 1954 at $150 a week."

by Anonymousreply 1June 18, 2017 6:24 PM

As a gayling in the 70s/80s ........... I thought he was pretty hot for a guy in his 40s/50s

by Anonymousreply 2June 18, 2017 7:03 PM

Never heard of him, he's stunning in your photo OP.

by Anonymousreply 3June 18, 2017 7:07 PM

He was gorgeous. One of those guys who tend to lose,their lips as they age.

by Anonymousreply 4June 18, 2017 7:23 PM

On Falcon Crest, he played Lorenzo Lamas' father. He was middle aged, but unbelievably hot. Hotter than the rest of the cast. He had a couple of shirtless scenes that got me really hard for that hairy, muscular Daddy.

by Anonymousreply 5June 18, 2017 7:25 PM

A friend of mine studied with him at Stella Adler's studio. She only had nice things to say about him.

by Anonymousreply 6June 18, 2017 7:26 PM

Beautiful

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 18, 2017 7:35 PM

I remember him guest starring on shows like Fantasy Island and Charlie's Angels and I was really attracted to him. Very hot body.

by Anonymousreply 8June 18, 2017 7:45 PM

I first saw him in 'Enter the Dragon' as a kid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 18, 2017 7:46 PM

He looks like Richard Benjamin in OP's pic, except a smaller nose.

by Anonymousreply 10June 18, 2017 7:46 PM

Do you think he hustled as a youth? Did he put out for Willson?

by Anonymousreply 11June 18, 2017 7:47 PM

Wigged??

by Anonymousreply 12June 18, 2017 7:49 PM

I know him as Nancy's dad in Nightmare on Elm St 1,3&7 and the detective in Black Chrismas. He's like 102 but if I saw him in person I would still present hole for him. Any gossip?

by Anonymousreply 13June 18, 2017 7:57 PM

when he was VERY young

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 18, 2017 8:01 PM

Sal Mineo stole his career.

by Anonymousreply 15June 18, 2017 8:03 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 18, 2017 8:32 PM

He had an extra part in the Central Park scene of "It Should Happen to You." Cukor directed that, so I've always wondered...

by Anonymousreply 17June 18, 2017 9:30 PM

He was the go-to actor in the 70s to play really scary villains. I remember him best from The Six Million Dollar Man and The Bionic Woman.

by Anonymousreply 18June 18, 2017 9:45 PM

He also did some good episodes of the Rockford Files.

His dark good looks and hairy chest made me notice him even as a young gayling.

by Anonymousreply 19June 19, 2017 12:24 AM

I also remember him from Enter the Dragon and as the cop dad in Nightmare on Elm Street. I have some vague memory of him playing Dracula. Or was that Michael Nouri?

by Anonymousreply 20June 19, 2017 12:31 AM

My fondest childhood memory of him was his guest starring role in the two-part episode of Wonder Woman, 'The Feminum Mystique'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 19, 2017 12:39 AM

Saxon played on Another World in the mid-80s for a time as Edouard Gerard- he was the man who fell in love with a young Fanny Grady and while in Europe transformed her into romance novelist Felicia Gallant. Edouard came to Bay City to try to win Felicia back, but she chose fisherman Zane Lindquist instead. Edouard would eventually leave town.

by Anonymousreply 22June 19, 2017 12:47 AM

He was a terrible actor. How did he have a career for all those years?

by Anonymousreply 23June 19, 2017 12:50 AM

Even though most on here will swoon at his young teeenage years, it's the middle-aged John Saxon who always turned me on. I think he had a bedroom scene in that awful killer-bees flick "The Swarm".

One day, someone should post the names of all Henry Willson's clients, and attach a poll to it, to see who we think put out to get ahead in their career.

by Anonymousreply 24June 19, 2017 12:57 AM

from 1950

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 19, 2017 2:27 AM

Every horror fan should recognize him immediately.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 19, 2017 2:37 AM

Some horror fans should also know he co-starred in Mario Bava's The Girl Who Knew Too Much (AKA The Evil Eye)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 19, 2017 2:50 AM

Is he still alive? If only there was a way to find out...

by Anonymousreply 28June 19, 2017 3:11 AM

I think there's something called goggle. Gaggle?

by Anonymousreply 29June 19, 2017 3:16 AM

Reminds me of James Darren whom I met when Elvis died. He was still gorgeous. He told me how good Elvis was to him

by Anonymousreply 30June 19, 2017 3:22 AM

John Saxon

BorntCarmine Orrico August 5, 1935 (age 81) Brooklyn, New York City, New York, U.S.

by Anonymousreply 31June 19, 2017 3:24 AM

If you met James Darren 40 years ago (when Elvis died), he certainly should still have been gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 32June 19, 2017 3:28 AM

I loved him in the movie The Cardinal (1963). You had the bonus of a shirtless Tom Tryon, too.

by Anonymousreply 33June 19, 2017 3:29 AM

He's luscious in "The Unguarded Moment" as a HS kid who comes on to his teach Esther Williams, who foolishly rejects him. George Nader is a cop in that and there's a scene where George interrogates John that has a touch of sizzle.

by Anonymousreply 34June 19, 2017 3:35 AM

He was also in the classic Argento horror film TENEBRE

Here's a recent pic

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35June 19, 2017 3:36 AM

He's a scream queen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 19, 2017 3:37 AM

Forgettable tv guest star from the 60s. I think Reagan wanted him to be ambassador to Mexico. No one could not consider it a joke.

by Anonymousreply 37June 19, 2017 3:40 AM

Obviously not that forgettable as he apparently got a lot of the old gals here panties moist

by Anonymousreply 38June 19, 2017 3:44 AM

I always heard John Saxon (aka Carmine) was the son or the nephew of some minor mafia thug, and you didn't mess with him. But if he did do anything sexual it was with women. it was highly probably he fucked for money with older women with the hubby's consent. Whatever. He was lovely. I used to get him confused with George Maharis, who was a flaming queen and was barely able to hide it. He certainly didn't try. There are photos all over the internet of Maharis in drag or with his posse of cute boys.

by Anonymousreply 39June 19, 2017 3:54 AM

R37, John Gavin was who Reagan appointed to the ambassadorship. Was Saxon really considered?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40June 19, 2017 3:54 AM

John Gavin was appointed ambassador to Mexico. It happened.

by Anonymousreply 41June 19, 2017 4:09 AM

Did George Nader, John Gavin and John Saxon ever have a threeway?

by Anonymousreply 42June 19, 2017 4:38 AM

John Saxon was one of those American actors who had a prolific career in Italy from the 1960s through the mid 1980s. As has been mentioned up thread, he was in a number of important gialli, most notably The Girl Who Knew Too Much by Mario Bava, and Tenebre by Dario Argento, and also appeared in various Italian horror movies in the 1980s (Cannibal Apocalypse, Scorpion with Two Tails).

by Anonymousreply 43June 19, 2017 4:56 AM

Gay.

by Anonymousreply 44June 19, 2017 5:12 AM

I remember his sex scene in ENTER THE DRAGON impressed my young self. I must not have seen many because it was mainly Ahna Capri riding him cowgirl style, but it worked for me. Also enjoyed him as the villainous Rashid Ahmed on DYNASTY.

by Anonymousreply 45June 19, 2017 5:32 AM

Holy cow! Hadn't thought of Saxon for years! I think when I was young he toured oz to promote 'enter tha dragon' or something - and had a lot of press and tv appearances?

My young gayling self certainly felt a frisson of something not quite yet identifiable - and my ears still prick up when he's mentioned...

In a couple of the very young pictures he has a touch of the Louis Jordan about him - don't you think?

Hard to believe that Wilson's stable of male beauties weren't giving and receiving whatever they wanted - or whatever they thought they needed to do to further their careers....

Just wish some of the surviving ones would be really open and honest and tell us what really went down back when they had the world at their collective feet - or knees - or wherever...

by Anonymousreply 46June 19, 2017 6:11 AM

Actually, in the Henry Willson bio, there is a mention of his client Saxon NOT putting out for him. But who knows.

I can see the Jourdan resemblance somewhat, now that you mention it. I think LJ had a slightly more elegant look, but that might be due to,his mannerisms and the kind of roles he often had.

by Anonymousreply 47June 19, 2017 6:24 AM

With George Nader and Esther Williams.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48June 19, 2017 6:58 AM

So who topped in that trio?

by Anonymousreply 49June 19, 2017 7:01 AM

R49 - odds on it was Esther - she was one ballsy Dame!

And sorry R47 - I had Jordan not Jourdan - mea culpa! Reading and responding to DL on my iPhone while walking my dogs - not exactly sensible or conducive to coherent sentences and correct spelling! Mea culpa!

by Anonymousreply 50June 19, 2017 8:37 AM

Well, I knew who you meant, and that was a good observation you made. Ever see him in "Madame Bovary?" It has that amazing waltz sequence with the breaking windows (which seems very sexual, now that I think of it).

by Anonymousreply 51June 19, 2017 8:50 AM

As for George Maharis, he may have been a flaming queen but he was a rough top the night I had him around 1980. Hung, too.

by Anonymousreply 52June 19, 2017 10:11 AM

I seem to remember that That Unguarded Moment has a plot point that John Saxon goes after Esther Williams because he has a hard time finding a girlfriend. As if! He is so gorgeous who would not want him?!

by Anonymousreply 53June 19, 2017 10:15 AM

R40/41 John Gavin gave up Ambassador job after his life was threatened several times. His wife is actress Constance Towers, most-recently on "General Hospital."

by Anonymousreply 54June 19, 2017 10:54 AM

R52 did he take-off his toupee?

by Anonymousreply 55June 19, 2017 10:55 AM

The Reluctant Debutante is a great movie, spoiled only by the total lack of chemistry between Sandra Dee and John Saxon. Angela Lansbury is laugh out loud funny, and the lovely Kay Kendall (whom I was unaware of prior to seeing this film) and husband Rex Harrison are excellent.

by Anonymousreply 56June 19, 2017 11:49 AM

I adored Kay Kendall i n that movie the first time I saw it about 20 years ago. So sad. She had an affair with Rex Harrison while he was married to Lili Palmer. Anyway, Kay developed Leukemia, and was dying, but she didn't know and was never told. When Rex discovered this he married her and never told her she was dying. They had only two or three years together. Sad!

John Saxon and James Darren were my go to crushes. I adored them. Saxon looks good for a guy in his 80's.

by Anonymousreply 57June 19, 2017 1:04 PM

I love old movies. The films from the b50's were filled with sexual innnuendo. I guess the 60's were too.

by Anonymousreply 58June 19, 2017 1:06 PM

That's not George Nader at r48. Hot, but not George.

by Anonymousreply 59June 19, 2017 1:38 PM

The Reluctant Debutante must have been a huge coup for John Saxon way back then. A List cast and director Vincente Minnelli. And for me, anyway, he comes through very memorably and perfectly fills the bill of the cute American boyfriend.

Though I guess the film is ultimately best remembered for Kay Kendall, who truly was unique and has so few credits on her imdb list. And fabulous Angela Lansbury as the bitchy friend who steals every scene she's in. She still had a few years to go before international fame and leading lady status via Mame on Broadway. Funny how a woman who made such a long career playing cold bitches in supporting roles was able to turn it around by playing one of the warmest and zaniest ladies ever written.

by Anonymousreply 60June 19, 2017 1:46 PM

r53 Esther Williams actually wrote the script for "The Unguarded Moment."

by Anonymousreply 61June 19, 2017 2:45 PM

r63 Sorry wrong star.

The origin of "The Unguarded Moment" is as surprising as Esther Williams' casting in it. According to biographer Bernard F. Dick in Forever Mame: The Life of Rosalind Russell, the story idea came from writer Larry Marcus and Rosalind Russell, as a possible vehicle for herself. (Marcus had written scripts for Russell's own production company.)

The first draft of the screenplay by Marcus and Russell (under the pseudonym C.A. McKnight, her mother's maiden name) had a working title of Teach Me to Love and was completed by 1951.

In a 1951 draft of the story, Harry Graham was a fellow teacher instead of a policeman, and Leonard Bennett was revealed to be responsible for the murders, before being killed

According to Esther Williams, Rosalind Russell came up to me at a party and said, 'I hear you're doing my script.' I looked at her blankly until she explained that she had written it under the pseudonym C. A. McKnight. 'I wrote the part for me, but I got too old.'"

by Anonymousreply 62June 19, 2017 2:52 PM

r62 for r61

by Anonymousreply 63June 19, 2017 2:53 PM

How odd. This weekend on Saturday I was channel surfing and caught sight of some CNN anchor who reminded me of Saxon so I watched awhile. It was the thick dark eyebrows and thinning hair on top. He wasn't as good-looking or hot as Saxon, but I hadn't thought of Saxon in a long time and didn't know he was still alive. Never did catch the name of the anchor.

by Anonymousreply 64June 19, 2017 3:12 PM

r64 Is it Boris Sanchez?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65June 19, 2017 3:28 PM

He must have guest starred on Aaron Spelling shows at least a thousand times in the 70s...is he gay? I do know that he has a son.

Didn't know he was Italian. Though Latino crossed my mind.

by Anonymousreply 66June 19, 2017 3:44 PM

Yeah, Boris Sanchez!

by Anonymousreply 67June 19, 2017 4:22 PM

So, if it's not George Nader in,the photo at 48, who is it?

by Anonymousreply 68June 19, 2017 7:29 PM

He was very hot in the 1974 TV-movie, "Planet Earth," co-starring DL Fave, Diana Muldaur!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69June 19, 2017 7:36 PM

Hottie

by Anonymousreply 70June 19, 2017 7:42 PM

I imagine he could throw a rough fuck, back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 71June 19, 2017 8:49 PM

R69 I remember that movie esp because John is put up for auction and the ladies rip open his shirt to get a look at the goods.

by Anonymousreply 72June 19, 2017 9:01 PM

How about a mean fuck?

by Anonymousreply 73June 19, 2017 9:20 PM

"Did he put out for Willson?"

We all did..

by Anonymousreply 74June 25, 2017 7:44 AM

Of course that's fucking George Nader giving Carmine, er, John, the eye, with Esther intruding, as was Esther's wont.

by Anonymousreply 75June 25, 2017 7:54 AM

What year is that color photo of John Gavin, Ambassador to Mexico from?

by Anonymousreply 76June 25, 2017 8:05 AM

I'm guessing about 1970, before he was Ambassador.

The story is that In the bedroom scene, in Psycho, Hitchcock was not getting the performance he wanted from Gavin, so he told Janet Leigh to stimulate Gavin. Gavin got a hardon and gave the scene the engagement (or engorgement) that Hitch wanted.

by Anonymousreply 77June 25, 2017 8:51 AM

Saxon was in a movie called Cry Tough, which had a hot love scene with a topless Linda Cristal..

by Anonymousreply 78June 25, 2017 9:02 AM

John Saxon at 80 looks like the old Italian he is. Not a bad thing!

by Anonymousreply 79June 25, 2017 10:01 AM

R77, Whence that "story"? I've read a lot about Hitchcock's films, but never that alleged tidbit.

by Anonymousreply 80June 25, 2017 10:03 AM

R58, It's George Nader.

by Anonymousreply 81June 25, 2017 10:09 AM

George was Lebanese and John is Sicilian. What children they might have had!

by Anonymousreply 82June 25, 2017 10:25 AM

It was hot, R72. But you didn't explain the premise, it was because women ruled the earth and men were all sex slaves.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83June 25, 2017 10:40 AM

Stephen Rebello wrote a book about Psycho, in which he claims that Janet Leigh mentioned the incident. It's ambiguous as to the manner in which Leigh " encouraged" Gavin.

by Anonymousreply 84June 25, 2017 10:49 AM

She talks about the problem in the making of documentary on the Collector's Edition DVD too.

by Anonymousreply 85June 25, 2017 12:10 PM

How come John Saxon was never able to rise above B-movie status? His IMDB filmography is a long, long list of movie and TV schlock.

by Anonymousreply 86June 25, 2017 2:54 PM

Guinea

by Anonymousreply 87June 25, 2017 3:01 PM

Yes, John Saxon, " never rose above B movie status," but at least he kept working, martial arts, spaceship movies, whatever crap he could find as well as TV. When I think of the three hotties from that time, George Maharis, James Darren, and John Saxon, Saxon seems like the only one who was able to keep paying the bills through acting.

My personal favorite was James Darren who really was a decent actor. I saw him in one of those neo noir movies, "Let No Man Write My Epitaph." I think Shelley Winters played his drug addict mother, and Burl Ives was in it. It was a very gritty, black & white movie but he had real acting chops.

He also starred in some crap like Diamond Head with Charleton Heston, and some war movie, the genre was very popular back then, but he never rose above it. He was relegated into being a lounge singer, doing Vegas with Buddy Hackett. He was also a drunk. I shouldn't use "was" because he's still alive ,and sings standards now, pretending to be Frank Sinatra at local state fairs.

Don't know WTF ever happened to George Maharis. I Remember him from Exodus. Paul Newman, Eva Marie Saint, Sal Mineo and Peter Lawford. Maharis played an Israeli terrorist. He was good. YOu know, we could lump George Chakiris in, too. Because yes, he won that Oscar for Bernardo in WWS, but he played in a lot of crap after that and sort of faded away.

by Anonymousreply 88June 25, 2017 3:06 PM

Fun fact: Jim Moret (CNN, Inside Edition) is James Darren's son.

by Anonymousreply 89June 25, 2017 3:11 PM

The Bold Ones. He played a doctor. There are a ton of these old tv series that haven't been revived on the nostalgia channels. I'm sure it's terrible but I'd still like to see it and Name of the a Game again.

by Anonymousreply 90June 25, 2017 3:13 PM

A clip from the iconic SMDM episode: DAY OF THE ROBOT!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91June 25, 2017 3:46 PM

John Saxon and James Darren are certainly handsome old guys.

by Anonymousreply 92June 25, 2017 4:40 PM

Did they ever fuck? They both knew Sandra Dee.

by Anonymousreply 93June 25, 2017 8:20 PM

All are graduates of The Lee Majors School Of Acting.

by Anonymousreply 94June 26, 2017 12:53 AM

Sandra Dee was only about 15 when she played in "The Reluctant Debutante". Hilarious movie with Kendall's clothes are to die for.

James Darren also had a recurring role on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine as a holodeck character (Vic Fontaine) who was a singer in Las Vegas. He had several appearances and if I recall correctly was in the finale at the party as the cast was leaving, it was he singing "The Way You Look Tonight".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95June 26, 2017 1:18 AM

James Darren didn't "end up" a lounge singer - he was singer from the beginning of hos career and had some major hit songs. Goodbye Cruel World and Her Royal Majesty, just to name two.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96June 26, 2017 1:48 AM

Darren from 2015

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97June 26, 2017 2:34 AM

He looks good for his age

by Anonymousreply 98February 11, 2018 2:52 PM

The young Saxon... confused.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99February 11, 2018 3:17 PM

Saxon was a cut above Darren IMHO. Much more "complexity" to his looks and n=manner.

by Anonymousreply 100February 11, 2018 4:06 PM

r99 Is that Ed Platt (aka "Chief," from "Get Smart?")

by Anonymousreply 101February 11, 2018 10:02 PM

^ Affirmative

by Anonymousreply 102February 12, 2018 12:55 AM

Is "The Reluctant Debutante" about Our Miss Lindsey?

by Anonymousreply 103February 12, 2018 1:08 AM

No, Miss Lindsey was NOT a reluctant debutante! She was a quite willing debutante!

by Anonymousreply 104February 12, 2018 1:15 AM

Funny. I never noticed how much Sam Witwer resembles a young Saxon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105February 12, 2018 2:10 AM

SW has a wonky nose and certainly not the sculpted, luscious Saxon lips.

by Anonymousreply 106February 12, 2018 2:26 AM

What's the most risque scene Saxon has ever done on film?

by Anonymousreply 107February 12, 2018 2:43 AM

Total pussy. If he had crossed examined The Carters, Jo would've gotten her baby back.

by Anonymousreply 108February 12, 2018 2:48 AM

The most risqué Saxan Scene that I’ve seen in in ENTER THE DRAGON. He’s being ridden cowgirl style by Ahna Capri.

by Anonymousreply 109February 12, 2018 9:25 AM

He had a weird posture.

by Anonymousreply 110February 12, 2018 9:43 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!