Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Best Modern Furniture Stores

I am looking for bedroom furniture. I like modern, low-profile, clean profile, minimalist, and Scandanavian-style furniture. I really love stuff I have gotten from Crate and Barrel but wonder if there are cheaper alternatives. I like dark, chocolate, and charcoal finishes.

by Anonymousreply 119September 27, 2020 1:03 AM

I think Room & Board, and Design Within Reach in NYC are decent stores-- also love Mitchell Gold & Bob Williams (a little more pricey but nice stuff)...

by Anonymousreply 1May 29, 2017 1:31 PM

Mitchell Gold is a great NC company, owned by a male samesex couple.

by Anonymousreply 2May 29, 2017 1:34 PM

Crate & Barrel furniture is not a good buy. Design in Reach is overpriced ugly modern. Mitchell Gold is pricey but good value--I believe Mitchell & Williams broke up as a couple some time ago. Room & Board seems to be a cheaper, lower quality alternative to them. Mitchell/Williams is based in Atlanta, but manufactures in NC--they have an outlet store if you're not too far away to visit.

by Anonymousreply 3May 29, 2017 1:40 PM

A Mitchell and Gold outlet in North Carolina?

by Anonymousreply 4May 29, 2017 1:42 PM

I know of a darling little boutique called IKEA.

by Anonymousreply 5May 29, 2017 1:44 PM

Roche Bobois

by Anonymousreply 6May 29, 2017 1:44 PM

Actually CB2 is the better Crate and Barrel option - it's Crate and Barrel's more modern design line. They don't have a lot of stores, but I really like most of what they carry.

CB2 used to be the knock-off cheaper version of Crate and Barrel and then they did a complete flip - they made it into a more modern, hip line instead.

I'm always amazed at how much I like in that place - but again, not a lot of stores: 1 in WeHo, 2 in NYC, 1 in Chicago, 1 in SF.

by Anonymousreply 7May 29, 2017 1:48 PM

I love Crate and Barrel. I might grimace at the price, but I am never upset I bought it, and I still have the furniture with compliments 20 years later.

by Anonymousreply 8May 29, 2017 1:50 PM

CB2 stuff is kinda crappy though R7

Had briefly considered it because it looked good, but the couches are all pretty uncomfortable and the other stuff looks like it would break if you looked at it the wrong way.

And OP-- there's this wacky new invention called Google ...

by Anonymousreply 9May 29, 2017 2:01 PM

R9, back when I was an inferior desecrator, I ordered a neutral colored sofa for a client from CB2. The cushions did not match. They tried three times to send a sofa with matching cushions and failed each time.

by Anonymousreply 10May 29, 2017 2:13 PM

I don't want no heavy ass grandpa ranch furniture. If I can't move it around relatively easily, it aint for me.

by Anonymousreply 11May 29, 2017 2:16 PM

Granted, I don't want my furniture breaking three years after I bought it, but what realistically do people mean when they say sturdy furniture? I don't expect furniture to last decades and am not trying to pass furniture down to my great grandchildren. If a piece last 15 years, I don't expect more.

by Anonymousreply 12May 29, 2017 2:17 PM

Have you tried See's Candy? They have the best dark chocolate. Their cremes are good too.

by Anonymousreply 13May 29, 2017 2:29 PM

I like Room & Board - they mix in brands that are classics with their own pieces and the quality is good. Baker furniture has some contemporary lines but they're expensive.

I can see this thread is going to turn into hissing cat fight!

by Anonymousreply 14May 29, 2017 2:33 PM

You'll love it at Levitz!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15May 29, 2017 2:36 PM

I've had no issues with CB2 - but then again, I bought only accessories and lighting.

by Anonymousreply 16May 29, 2017 2:37 PM

Never heard of CB2. I love CB!

by Anonymousreply 17May 29, 2017 2:59 PM

Room and Board is not as good as CB to me. It has too much wooden and older person stuff for me. I like a more Scandinavian modern look, no wooden furniture

by Anonymousreply 18May 29, 2017 3:01 PM

If you shop carefully, you can get some good pieces at both C&B and R&B. But you need to look at the craftsmenship. Neither company actually manufacturers much of what it sells. Most everything is a vended item, with upholstered items coming from one part of the world and casegoods from another.

And take a careful look at the "classics" at R&B. While the Herman Miller pieces are the real deal, the Knoll classics they sell, like Saarinen tables, are inferior knockoffs. I bought a sofa bed years ago from R&B that was well designed and well made (and comfortable according to guests who used it). I have some stone side tables from C&B that are terrific. Mitchell Gold has wildly uneven quality - they too source from all over the world in addition to their own factories.

All three are good options for furniture, but you must select wisely.

Mitchell Gold and Bob Williams (alas, separated but still business partners) are huge supporters of the LGBTQ community so if you want to keep your dollars in the family, consider doing business with them.

Avoid Ikea and most department stores and home stores, who focus on low quality / high margin goods.

I'm in the furniture business and once visited a massive factory complex in the middle of China with thousands of workers. Literally, cattle cars arrived at one end of the complex and leather sofas and recliners destined for the US market came out the other end. Every building in this complex did everything in between - tanning the hides, constructing the wood frames, creating the steel springs, a cutting and sewing room with 1000 women in matching uniforms working at identical sewing machines. It was surreal. It was all about quantity and little regard for quality. That's the type of product most mid-market furniture stores sell in America.

by Anonymousreply 19May 29, 2017 3:06 PM

Again, what's bad quality? How long do you expect furniture to last? After about 15 years, I want to replace furniture for something new anyway,

by Anonymousreply 20May 29, 2017 3:11 PM

Most people today are not looking for furniture that will last decades. It's another disposable commodity that we want to last for a few years to maybe 10 or 15 years. Looking good and cool matters most to most

by Anonymousreply 21May 29, 2017 3:12 PM

What about Macy's?

by Anonymousreply 22May 29, 2017 3:14 PM

[quote]Most people today are not looking for furniture that will last decades.

That's because they know it only needs to last until Trump starts a nuclear war.

by Anonymousreply 23May 29, 2017 3:15 PM

Yep got couch from Macy's in 2002. Love it and receive compliments all the time

by Anonymousreply 24May 29, 2017 3:15 PM

Macy's is great

by Anonymousreply 25May 29, 2017 3:15 PM

An example of poor quality. A simple wooden table with a drawer.

The joints are glued. Not screwed and certainly not tongue and grove. Remember any humidity changes will cause these seams to open and the table will wobble when this occurs.

The back has been stapled on and is not properly sized. The back helps stabilize the piece and if not properly applied will destabilize the table.

How well does the top meet the base? Can you see light between those seams? If you pick the table up by the top, does the base move or shift when you jiggle it.

The finish has been sprayed on with evidence of overspray on the back and sides. The finish surface feels rough or sandy, meaning the wood was not properly wiped down or cleaned before the finish was sprayed on. These raised "sandy" areas will loose the finish after a few months of being dusted or cleaned.

Without a proper glide or slide, the drawer will stick or become so loose from loosened joints it won't function properly.

Test the table on a flat surface. Place it on a glass dining table which is 100% flat. See if it wobbles due to uneven legs.

Check any applied hardware or ornamentation, like pulls or metal leg caps. Is it screwed or nailed on, or merely glued or pressure fit? Over time, these can fall off.

The piece you actually get or take home will never look better than the sample you saw in the showroom. Before you buy, check the stores "damaged and dented" close out section too see if the table you want has been returned by previous customers due to quality issues.

by Anonymousreply 26May 29, 2017 3:57 PM

Good advice, R26 Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 27May 29, 2017 4:03 PM

Pottery Barn...EUUUWWWWW!

by Anonymousreply 28May 29, 2017 4:34 PM

Restoration

by Anonymousreply 29May 29, 2017 4:36 PM

I wouldn't want a sofa that moves around "relatively easily." Two friends of mine had one they were forever moving back into place. Fugeddaboutit.

by Anonymousreply 30May 29, 2017 4:37 PM

[quote]And take a careful look at the "classics" at R&B. While the Herman Miller pieces are the real deal, the Knoll classics they sell, like Saarinen tables, are inferior knockoffs.

Re: Room & Board's Saarinen tables, R19. What is inferior about them, exactly? Also, I take it you would only buy the real thing, from somewhere like DWR or Hive.

Another question: what if I spill red wine on the white laminate top? How long do I have to clean it up before it stains permanently?

Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 31May 29, 2017 4:42 PM

OP is looking for cheaper alternatives to CB. Comprehension, people.

by Anonymousreply 32May 29, 2017 4:46 PM

Craigslist

by Anonymousreply 33May 29, 2017 4:46 PM

Macy's is best answer

by Anonymousreply 34May 29, 2017 4:49 PM

Since you're looking for bedroom furniture, and don't want to spend as much as DWR would cost, you might consider the Architecture, Portica, and Parsons beds at Room and Board. I've seen all in shelter rags over the past few years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35May 29, 2017 4:57 PM

I'll throw this out there for what it's worth, OP. I'm a huge fan of midcentury modern and am amazed at how many pieces I've picked up at local secondhand and consignment stores. Good shit. Not sure if this is your thing or if you want new furniture only, but I've had good luck (and I live in a crappy second-rate burg).

by Anonymousreply 36May 29, 2017 5:02 PM

Nice but CB has cheaper nice beds than RoomB

by Anonymousreply 37May 29, 2017 5:21 PM

To The Dump, to The Dump, to The Dump Dump Dump.

by Anonymousreply 38May 29, 2017 5:28 PM

Havertys

by Anonymousreply 39May 29, 2017 5:34 PM

West Elm might be more affordable than C and B. I like Room and Board but it's pricier

by Anonymousreply 40May 29, 2017 5:35 PM

Yeah Room and Board is more expensive

by Anonymousreply 41May 29, 2017 5:52 PM

Joybird.com, thrivefurniture.com, inmod.com, lexmod.com, and allmodern.com all have mid-century modern-style furniture.

Check Raymour & Flanigan, too.

by Anonymousreply 42May 29, 2017 6:10 PM

Mid century ?

by Anonymousreply 43May 29, 2017 6:18 PM

West Elm is nice

by Anonymousreply 44May 29, 2017 6:19 PM

Mid-century Uncomfortable. Tried it. No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 45May 29, 2017 6:20 PM

West Elm looks like it will last for two years.

by Anonymousreply 46May 29, 2017 6:23 PM

R31, high pressure laminate surfaces are not stain resistant. White or light colored laminate will stain if the spill isn't wiped up soon, especially red wine or a tomato sauce. While you can scour the stain away, you're really just removing some of the top surface. If you want laminate, be sure they aren't selling you melamine, which is basically a thinner version, also called low pressure laminate.

And the difference between a real Saarinen and a knock-off will be in the quality of the marble and how it's finished, the workmanship of the base and the finish on it, the method of attachment between the top and the base, and probably the warranty. But the most pronounced difference would be the thinness of the beveled edge and the figuring of the marble. Marble with a lot of mottling isn't as prized as, for example, a pure solid background with distinct veining. There are different quality levels of knock-offs, as with any other highly copied design. It all depends what you're willing to overlook.

Of the popular furniture retailers mentioned in these posts, West Elm is, in my humble opinion, at the bottom of the food chain.

by Anonymousreply 47May 29, 2017 7:05 PM

Value City

by Anonymousreply 48May 29, 2017 11:09 PM

I'm more inclined towards getting the laminate, R47. Thanks for your guidance.

by Anonymousreply 49May 29, 2017 11:12 PM

West Elm=crap. And crappy customer service to match the crappy junk they sell.

by Anonymousreply 50May 29, 2017 11:50 PM

In the old DL days, someone would've chimed in with "I make all my own furniture at home" by now.

by Anonymousreply 51May 30, 2017 12:04 AM

Arhaus - very well made and styles from traditional to modern

by Anonymousreply 52May 30, 2017 12:15 AM

There's an online company called BluDot that I am somehow on the mailing list for. Mostly midcentury. No idea as to quailty but it looks good.

Another one called Froy seems a bit less expensive and more authentically midcentury.

Again, no experience with quality on either, have just seen catalogs

by Anonymousreply 53May 30, 2017 12:42 AM

Anne-Sophie Duval in Paris is still reliably fab, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54May 30, 2017 12:49 AM

Look at these prices!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55May 31, 2017 2:57 AM

What gorgeous stuff though,R55 ! I weep for these tasteless bitches talking about "I dont care if it only lasts a few years"

by Anonymousreply 56May 31, 2017 3:53 AM

R56, everyone is not a snooty wanker

by Anonymousreply 57May 31, 2017 3:49 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 58October 17, 2018 1:48 AM

HomeGoods

by Anonymousreply 59November 18, 2018 1:34 PM

What does “clean lines” mean?

by Anonymousreply 60November 18, 2018 1:34 PM

Scandinavian look + low price = IKEA.

by Anonymousreply 61November 18, 2018 1:42 PM

What about thrift stores and good paint, OP?

by Anonymousreply 62November 18, 2018 1:49 PM

R62 I once got a really nice desk from a thrift and painted it. It looked really nice when I was done.

Furniture is tough, you really have to see it in person - I can’t order it online unless I’ve already seen it in person. I feel like pottery barn is way overpriced with some things.

CB2 is good, I know people that buy from them for staging. What I’ve seen of CB2 tends to run small - although that could be because they are buying for staging.

Homegoods is very hit and miss. Some things look cute but they quality isn’t there - and some things are nice and of quality.

I just got a sofa at Raymor and flannagain, and it’s actually a higher quality and more comfortable than I expected.

by Anonymousreply 63November 18, 2018 1:56 PM

A friend bought a Mitchell-Gold sleeper sofa ~20 years ago. I used to sleep on it when I would visit. It gave me such a headache, lying on the mattress all night, that for the first few years, I would choose to sleep on the unfolded-out sofa.

I don't know what they spray mattresses with, but it made this one unbearable. Not just a headache, either: I would become paralyzed for a spell. I knew I had to get up off of the thing to make the headache go away, but it took forever for my brain to convince my feet to take action.

I noticed last year that that effect had gone away. My friend wants to replace it, as it's gotten tatty. Hope he doesn't buy another from Mitchell and Gold.

by Anonymousreply 64November 18, 2018 2:22 PM

I like small, modern furniture. Heavy big furniture is out of style

by Anonymousreply 65November 18, 2018 3:02 PM

Mitchell Gold is crazy expensive. No way

by Anonymousreply 66November 18, 2018 3:02 PM

Mitchell Good makes the sofas for pottery barn (or at least use to)

by Anonymousreply 67November 18, 2018 3:04 PM

Target

by Anonymousreply 68November 18, 2018 3:05 PM

Lazzoni and Jensen-Lewis have beautiful, well-made furniture.

by Anonymousreply 69November 18, 2018 7:26 PM

And way too expensive

by Anonymousreply 70November 18, 2018 8:11 PM

R70,

All of the furniture i currently have is from those two stores and I have no complaints. I’ve tried other “high end” stores and their furniture was pure crap. The furniture that JL and Lazzoni sell isn’t cheap, but it’s defibitely worth the price.

by Anonymousreply 71November 19, 2018 3:58 AM

Naw, I don’t spend that kind of money on furniture

by Anonymousreply 72November 19, 2018 7:44 AM

ValueCity

by Anonymousreply 73November 19, 2018 3:49 PM

West Elm is all junk. Herman Miller is having a 15% off sale right now at DWR.

by Anonymousreply 74November 19, 2018 6:28 PM

Herman Miller is insanely expensive. Ridiculous

by Anonymousreply 75November 19, 2018 7:06 PM

Very expensive. Unmatched style and unbeatable quality. Definitely not for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 76November 19, 2018 10:04 PM

Only for a few actually

by Anonymousreply 77November 19, 2018 10:19 PM

And West Elm for everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 78November 19, 2018 10:21 PM

West Elm is more expensive than most people can afford. It’s a higher end store

by Anonymousreply 79November 20, 2018 2:07 AM

Wayfair

by Anonymousreply 80April 24, 2019 11:19 PM

80 replies and NO ONE has mentioned Rooms to Go? NO ONE on this site is middle class and frau-adjacent???

by Anonymousreply 81April 24, 2019 11:54 PM

The Room Store

by Anonymousreply 82April 25, 2019 12:04 AM

most of the retail places mentioned the furniture is not well made. Dont buy a houseful at once, make purchases slowly. Buy antiques. Go to auctions and estate sales from wealthy households. Usually timeless quality and you can re upholster sofas chairs etc. Go for the exlectic look and mix and match.

by Anonymousreply 83April 25, 2019 1:16 AM

Blu Dot and Joybird are pretty good---you choose the fabric/wood finish, etc.

Buy one piece at a time, it will be worth it.

by Anonymousreply 84April 25, 2019 2:35 AM

R83, most people don’t want antiques.

by Anonymousreply 85April 25, 2019 4:34 AM

OP seeks modern furniture, not antiques and grandma furniture.

by Anonymousreply 86April 25, 2019 4:56 AM

Thread's close to a year old. We're still giving furniture advice to OP?

by Anonymousreply 87April 25, 2019 5:03 AM

^ Correction - close to [italic]two[/italic] years old.

by Anonymousreply 88April 25, 2019 5:05 AM

It’s a good topic. I need a new platform bed. Modern

by Anonymousreply 89April 25, 2019 5:14 AM

SimpliHome

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90August 6, 2019 5:12 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 91August 7, 2019 12:09 PM

I shop exclusively at Crate and Barrel because I like the personal service. I cannot tell you how many times I've been in Macys furniture dept (White Plains) and no one is there, in fact, I've only seen someone there ONCE. I have too wonderful am chairs I bought at Ethan Allen...but that's another story ($$$).

by Anonymousreply 92August 7, 2019 2:53 PM

I’ve found amazing deals at Wayfair and Overstock. Retail stores will never offer the same discounts. The quality risks are 50/50 - more about comfort - but they look great and I did a whole house for less than $5,000. Also depending on where you are LetGo was a good mine for me. If you have a car in a stylish urban area, you can find great stuff.

by Anonymousreply 93August 7, 2019 3:04 PM

No love for Ashley's Home Store?

Figures. I forgot I was at the home of taste-free bitches.

by Anonymousreply 94August 7, 2019 3:10 PM

Havertys

by Anonymousreply 95August 7, 2019 3:20 PM

Mitchell Gold and Bob Williams is for people who still think Will & Grace is groundbreaking, watch the motion picture “Trick” on a regular basis, and are still looking for a tight black t-shirt at Banana Republic.

by Anonymousreply 96August 7, 2019 4:02 PM

Not my style. I don’t like ornate furniture

by Anonymousreply 97August 7, 2019 4:39 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 98October 25, 2019 11:37 PM

Since OP is, in all likelihood, a flyover middle class frau, I recommend this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99October 26, 2019 12:02 AM

No that’s too fem and cluttered. I like masculine modern clean lines, mainly espresso and dark colors.

by Anonymousreply 100October 26, 2019 2:18 AM

R100, it cracks me up that you criticize the look above as “fem” but then you say you like colors like “espresso.”

by Anonymousreply 101October 26, 2019 2:44 AM

That’s what the store calls it

by Anonymousreply 102October 26, 2019 2:49 AM

This thread has been a god send. I recently built a new smallish home in a modern Scandinavian style, and I’ve never bought furniture in my life. I didn’t know of the existence of half of the stores mentioned in this thread.

I’ve bought a chair, ottoman and a bookshelf from Article’s website.

Wayfair, Overstock, IKEA, West Elm and CB2 all seem tacky as shit.

I’m hesitant to buy a couch unless I can sit on it person.

Dania and Room and Board both have stores in my town. What do you guys think of the quality of those companies?

by Anonymousreply 103October 26, 2019 6:34 PM

West Elm looks nice, modern

by Anonymousreply 104October 26, 2019 6:42 PM

I luv Article

by Anonymousreply 105November 10, 2019 4:44 PM

Furniture is one of the things I would never buy online.

by Anonymousreply 106November 10, 2019 5:47 PM

Article

by Anonymousreply 107February 5, 2020 3:07 PM

I've updated all my furniture in recent years---Crate & Barrel was consistently disappointing, with poor value. I can say the same thing about West Elm. Design in Reach--totally overpriced and often ugly. Gold & Williams--expensive but generally good quality and they do have an outlet in NC. Restoration Hardware seems pretty variable. Room & Board is probably a good, cheaper alternative to Gold & Williams, although I didn't like their sofabeds.

More regional: Arhaus (not everything's a winner but worth a look); DC Area: Hardwood Artisans, not cheap, but excellent quality.

IKEA: Good for bookcases, stuff for a guest room, kid's room or other stuff you'll probably replace in a short time; surprisingly limited range of stuff for a home office.

Take note that places in the Gold & Williams class always have a sale of some sort--sometimes floor samples, sometimes bedroom, sometimes living room. Figure out what you want and wait for the right sale, it will turn up.

by Anonymousreply 108February 5, 2020 5:54 PM

I like this sideboard

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109May 15, 2020 5:39 PM

OP, your title says you want "Best" furniture, but the body of your post says you want something "cheaper" that Crate and Barrel. Best and cheap are mutually exclusive...you can have one but not both. And Crate and Barrel is already sorta at the bottom of the furniture heap. I guess there's always Goodwill?

by Anonymousreply 110May 15, 2020 8:40 PM

I'm looking for a TV watching/reading chair. I want it to be big and oversize, but not a recliner. I want something with a high back and midcentury. Any suggestions?

by Anonymousreply 111May 15, 2020 8:46 PM

Like this, R111?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112May 15, 2020 9:29 PM

West Elm is crap furniture. You'll be lucky if some Poor picks it up from the curb in front of your low rent apartment in two years.

by Anonymousreply 113May 15, 2020 10:14 PM

Jordan's Furniture sells smaht pahts - and comes with a cup holder!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114May 15, 2020 10:19 PM

Allmodern.com and Wayfair.com has amazing modern styles that are affordable.

by Anonymousreply 115May 15, 2020 10:22 PM

Thanks to whomever posted Allmodern.com. Their prices seem a little low, which worries me. How is the quality?

by Anonymousreply 116May 16, 2020 1:55 AM

I'll let you know. I have a platform bed ($156) modern style dresser ($600) and night stand ($295) coming on Friday. I'm not expecting Ethan Allen, but hoping for better than Target

by Anonymousreply 117May 16, 2020 10:57 PM

Could someone recommend a nice, modern, clean line dining room table? I want one in charcoal or Mocha.

by Anonymousreply 118September 26, 2020 1:38 PM

Love this one

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119September 27, 2020 1:03 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!