Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

When did Married with Children go downhill?

Was it when Kelly cut her hair? The new dog Lucky? Or the sophmoric (even for this show) No Maam subplot? How do you know when a show needs to end gracefully?

by Anonymousreply 18March 15, 2021 7:47 PM

You didn't like the episode with the breast feeding protest, OP?

by Anonymousreply 1May 10, 2017 4:59 AM

Divine as Uncle Otto who was supposed to join the cast, who then died. He probably would have been great on the show as a regular.

by Anonymousreply 2May 10, 2017 5:05 AM

The adoption of the child "Seven" was when I bailed.

by Anonymousreply 3May 10, 2017 5:08 AM

When Marcie was no longer described as born again Christian.

by Anonymousreply 4May 10, 2017 5:10 AM

What was the "No Ma'am" subplot?

I didn't watch the last few seasons because I went off to college. But "Seven" is about when I stopped.

by Anonymousreply 5May 10, 2017 5:44 AM

J'Adore fat jokes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 10, 2017 6:04 AM

When Al quit showing his barefeets.

by Anonymousreply 7May 10, 2017 6:18 AM

Ted McGinley

by Anonymousreply 8May 10, 2017 6:20 AM

Although there were many classic episodes from seasons 6-11, the show hit a major bump with the addition of Seven, which sadly tried to erase the viewers knowlege of Peggy's pregnancy and Katy Segal's real life miscarriage. I liked Jefferson and felt he was a good addition when Steve left, even though I loved the Steve character and most of my favorite episodes were during the Steve Years. Ted had good chemistry with ed O'Neil and his banter with Marcy was funny. He was a much different character than Steve which in turned helped the Marcy character evolve.

The show officially went to Shit after Kelly's haircut and Buck's death.

by Anonymousreply 9May 10, 2017 6:46 AM

My favorite TV show ever "kiss the chef, kill the wife!"

by Anonymousreply 10May 10, 2017 7:29 AM

No Ma'am was actually funny

by Anonymousreply 11May 10, 2017 8:00 AM

When Bud became the Brian ( Family Guy) of the show.

by Anonymousreply 12May 10, 2017 8:07 AM

It just got old, as sitcoms tend to do when they become successful. The last season was the worst: Columbia brought in a whole new writing/producing staff, replacing all the people who had been there since the Embassy days when Norman Lear, who was out of the picture entirely by the time MwC began and Coca-Cola reduced the company to an in-credit copyright holding company called ELP Communications in 1987, was still in charge. Then Fox made things worse by moving it to three different time slots, two on different nights.

I started watching when they moved [italic]The Simpsons[/italic] back to Sunday night (there's a case for imposing a maximum running time on a show if ever there was one) and I held out up to that point. But I could see the show was in its death throes. It survived Seven (he was cute, just all wrong for the show), but this was too much for them. When Fox ultimately did pull the plug, Ed O'Neill had to hear about it from fans who heard it over the radio.

by Anonymousreply 13May 10, 2017 9:07 AM

R8 Around the time Ted Mcginley came on, it became a farce, and and enjoyable one. Before that it was a very subversive show and a product of and riposte to Reagans America.

by Anonymousreply 14May 11, 2017 6:06 AM

I do think Peg and Marcy's pregnancies and later Seven's addition to the show is when officially began to die. Babies and kids don't fit in MWC's crude and dark humor. Bud and Kelly were in their early teens when the show started and were never written to be sweet and innocent like Seven was. A third child would have ruined the sibling dynamic. The show also got more and more cartoonish and bizarre and they began running out of ideas. Jefferson though was a great addition as the male counterpart to Peggy. I'd like to think that Marcy just got more angry and shrill due to living next door to the Bundys for years and Steve leaving her was the tipping point.

Ron Leavitt left MWC and went on to create Unhappily Ever After which also went from being black comedy about working class family to a live-action cartoon though that happened quickly. He even said he didn't intend to make a MWC clone but it ended up that way anyway because it was what people wanted.

by Anonymousreply 15March 15, 2021 6:57 PM

I didn’t quit watching it until the last season. Fox obviously wanted it gone if they kept moving its timeslot around, and new writers who weren’t as good as the old ones took over.

At least they could let go. It still sucks that the cast members were the last ones to know they were canceled. Now [italic]Family Guy[/italic] has occupied its old Sunday night time slot for even longer and just won’t quit.

by Anonymousreply 16March 15, 2021 7:09 PM

The day it premiered.

by Anonymousreply 17March 15, 2021 7:39 PM

No, R17, that’s when [italic]Who’s the Boss[/italic] jumped the shark and gave it both AIDS and COVID.

Actually, I take it back: that show was so bad it jumped the shark the day [italic]Taxi[/italic] premiered. I can’t believe it had the same production company as MwC.

I will take the worst of MwC over that vile trainwreck. If anything, that show it was a perfect example of why we wanted and needed alternatives to the big three networks. The Bundys at their most cartoonish were still more believable than the idea that Judith Lightweight would ever want to have anything to do with a blithering idiot and ethnic stereotype like Tony Danza or that he didn’t molest either of those two untalented little brats and get the girl pregnant.

by Anonymousreply 18March 15, 2021 7:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!