Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How homophobic is it in Dubai?

Would you feel safe visiting there?

by Anonymousreply 65November 18, 2018 1:42 PM

No. Not at all. And remember, they like entrapment.

by Anonymousreply 1March 13, 2017 5:21 AM

Article 354 of the Federal Penal Code states, "Whoever commits rape on a female or sodomy with a male shall be punished by death." Both civil law and Sharia criminalize homosexual activity. Under Sharia[,] the death penalty is the punishment for individuals who engage in consensual homosexual activity.

Article 177 of the Penal Code of Dubai imposes imprisonment of up to 10 years on consensual sodomy. The most common depiction in the local media of LGBT people involves foreigners, disease, and sex crimes such as rape.

The country’s only service provider of internet has a proxy server which blocks any website that goes against the country’s moral values. Sites regarding dating or marriage, LGBT issues, the Baha’I faith, Israel or sites related to unblocking the censorship are all inaccessible. Reports even suggest that any site with the word gay or sex is blocked.

In 2011, two men were caught having sex in a car and were sentenced to a year each in prison. Both men were deported following their prison terms.

In 2012, police arrested two Indian men for having consensual sex in a public toilet at a bus station. Both were jailed for six months each and were deported following their prison terms. In the same year, a 28-year-old British man who drunkenly had sex with another man in public were both sentenced to three years in jail followed by deportation. On 21 March 2012, police raided and broke up a gay party consisting of 30 men. On 7 June 2012, a Belgian man admitted to police that he was in a homosexual relationship with a Filipino. He was arrested and jailed for a year to be followed by deportation.

by Anonymousreply 2March 13, 2017 5:27 AM

It's not worth it. If you want fake glamour go to Las Vegas, it's much more fun and safer.

by Anonymousreply 3March 13, 2017 5:42 AM

Why on earth would you want to spend money in a country that would put you to death?

by Anonymousreply 4March 13, 2017 6:36 AM

I can handle it for 2 hours between flights , but it makes me nervous and angry to be in countries where Gays are treated badly ,so I even feel bad taking Middle Eastern Airlines. They can be great but am I supporting a regime that actively stops Gay rights?

Luckily with the spread of moderate Islam throughout the world I won't have to worry for long. Once freedom of speach is destroyed in the West everyone will say everything is fine and we will be able to ignore these inconsistencies we have to deal with at the moment. Like Islam and peace. Islam and feminism. Islam being compatable with Western values. It will be all fine

by Anonymousreply 5March 13, 2017 6:56 AM

It's hideous.

If you're a Brit and need sun that badly: Spain or Greece.

by Anonymousreply 6March 13, 2017 7:13 AM

I wouldn't go on principle.

by Anonymousreply 7March 13, 2017 7:20 AM

I hate the sun, the desert, high heat, "resorts", hideous architecture, totalitarian states and modern "jet setters" so the whole idea of Dubai is an affront, let alone that part of the world's attitude towards gays, women and anyone who's not male, straight and affluent.

by Anonymousreply 8March 13, 2017 7:34 AM

yeah seems all-around gross

by Anonymousreply 9March 13, 2017 7:36 AM

Dubai is a horror show.

by Anonymousreply 10March 13, 2017 7:49 AM

Dubai migrant workers: The hidden slaves behind glamour city

IT IS a city renowned for glitz, glamour and boasts the world’s tallest building.

But there’s an ugly side to Dubai that you won’t read about in its tourist brochures — its army of migrant workers.

The workers, who are largely from South East Asia, are paid well below the prices charged in the city’s expensive boutiques and glamorous hotels.

The migrant workers are not only at greater risk of exploration, but are often housed in filthy conditions, with little down time.

In short they are the hidden slaves of a rich city.

According to Human Rights Watch, foreigners make up 88.5 per cent of United Arab Emirates citizens, with low-paid migrant workers being “subjected to abuses that about to forced labour”.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 13, 2017 7:55 AM

I've avoided Dubai Florida and Texas. I'd go to Vegas to see its day life outside of the strip. I'm curious how regular people live in this artificial city.

by Anonymousreply 12March 13, 2017 9:00 AM

I'm baffled how anyone could go to Dubai with a clear conscience. As others have pointed out, it's a place of rampant, state-sponsored homophobia and it's built on slave labour. Newly arrived labourers have their passports confiscated so they cannot leave.

The government there has a fucked-up sense of morality. A Norwegian woman was recently sentenced to 16 months in prison because she dared to report that she had been raped.

I couldn't enjoy visiting such a place, and I'd feel guilty spending my money there.

by Anonymousreply 13March 13, 2017 9:15 AM

If you must visit OP then remember it is a strict Muslim country and follows Sharia law.

Pretend to be straight. You absolutely wouldn't go there and have sex with another man. Just don't do it and don't stare at men or flirt with men etc. It would be like smuggling hard drugs into an Asian country and then looking surprised when you get caught, charged and receive the death penalty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14March 13, 2017 9:18 AM

That's Sharia law for you R13.

The Middle East is a completely different culture and society from what we are used to and understand. It's like comparing apples and bricks.

by Anonymousreply 15March 13, 2017 9:20 AM

If you choose to visit another country you choose to follow its laws and respect its conventions. Or else.

Your sense of what is right or superior is irrelevant unless you're an invading soldier or a missionary. And then too, or else.

by Anonymousreply 16March 13, 2017 10:39 AM

R16 Die in a grease fire, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 17March 13, 2017 11:14 AM

I've visited a friend who worked for Emirates, and while you should watch yourself there, there are plenty of gay locals and even more gay foreigners. Everything is super 'discreet', but for the UAE, depending on your moral code, I assume (I was there to visit a friend, so wasn't really looking at it from a supporting an oppressive economy stance), it was nice. I noticed the expense more than the laws.

by Anonymousreply 18March 13, 2017 11:24 AM

First of all, Dubai is not a country, it's one of the UAE's emirates and by far, the most liberal one. There is a large gay scene and gay sex in a private place will never get you in jail. Don't have sex with an Emirati though - they might be undercover police. Stay in Dubai and don't go to for instance Jarjah, another emirates where they have a zero tolerance for booze, gay sex, etc

by Anonymousreply 19March 13, 2017 12:09 PM

I get it is supposed to be lovely r18 and I really find Middle Eastern men hot, but I refuse to stay in a country that is the opposite to all I hold dear.

On the other hand if the West wants to import 7th Century morality and say it is compatible with the West,who am I to say they are Helen Keller before the miracle worker turned up.

by Anonymousreply 20March 13, 2017 12:09 PM

A woman went to the doctor there recently with stomach pains. Turns out she was pregnant but not married to her partner. The doctor reported her and both were arrested.

I'm sure there is an underground gay scene, but it only takes one person to report you and you're done for.

by Anonymousreply 21March 13, 2017 12:58 PM

Dubai is popular with the new money financial adventurer types. It's built as a financial hub for the Middle East as Dubai has no oil or other resources of any kind. So naturally more play there, cautiously though.

Too bad we destroyed Damascus. That was the real fun Arab playground, and with history. We destroyed Beirut too, the Paris of the Middle East. So we have Dubai. Oy.

by Anonymousreply 22March 13, 2017 1:12 PM

Syrians and Lebanese helped destroy their own societies very handily. Lebanon is actually in pretty good shape now. Syria not so much.

by Anonymousreply 23March 13, 2017 1:27 PM

It's fine as along as you keep your dick in your pants, and don't even think about engaging in anything "gay" while you're there.

by Anonymousreply 24March 13, 2017 1:27 PM

all of you islam apologist pitying the faked syrian refugees, THIS is what you have to look forward to...keep following the asshole progressives, which have a connection to the evils of sharia/crazy people who practice this fake religion. save your sympathy and pity for america and the countries already ruined by the religion of peace.

by Anonymousreply 25March 13, 2017 1:37 PM

[quote]That was the real fun Arab playground,

It takes a special kind of mentality to describe a brutal, oppressive regime and a population living in an atmosphere of fear as "fun".

[quote]We destroyed Beirut too, the Paris of the Middle East.

Beirut hasn't been the "Paris of the Middle East" since the early 1970s. The Lebanese themselves destroyed Lebanon, signified by the 18 confessions that have been warring for power and control for centuries.

by Anonymousreply 26March 13, 2017 1:37 PM

Dubai is safe, but why the fuck would a gay person give those trolls their money? If your that thirsty for Muslim dick, go to Morocco or Turkey where gay tourists are usually let alone and their are gay bars.

by Anonymousreply 27March 13, 2017 1:42 PM

[quote]their bars...

Oh DEER 🦌

by Anonymousreply 28March 13, 2017 1:50 PM

Morocco?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29March 13, 2017 1:51 PM

That tourist fucked up by messing with a local man. I was just in Morocco...there are gay bars and had no issues as a gay man.

by Anonymousreply 30March 13, 2017 2:04 PM

The only place you can get away with a caftan!

by Anonymousreply 31March 13, 2017 2:06 PM

Gay life takes place in the depths of certain hammams (Turkish baths) and the back rows of cinemas, if people happen to know the right spots; needless to say, cruising plays an important role. The most prominent stage after dusk is Jamaa el Fna, the main square and marketplace and gateway to the souk in the heart of the old city. The gardens adjacent to the Koutabia mosque and Avenue Mohammed V between the new and old cities are other reported hot spots. [bold]There are no gay bars, but a mix of gay and straight patrons can be found in clubs that cater primarily to Westerners.[/bold]

Seen in this light, the case of Ray Cole can be said to be another part of the story of the withering away of gay life in Morocco, or at the very least, the end of turning of a blind eye to it. But what is more significant about Cole’s case is that it demonstrates the true reality for gay men in Morocco, namely, that while the laws on homosexuality are enforced inconsistently, there is evidently a double standard employed in their application.

Gay couples should refrain from public displays of affection and would be advised to seek out hotels and riads (a traditional house with an interior courtyard) known to be gay-friendly. But provided they stick to these guidelines, the police won’t pay them any mind or pick them up on the street.

The situation is altogether different, as Cole managed to discover (or perhaps uncover), if Moroccan nationals are involved. We would never have heard of Cole’s young lover, whose whereabouts were unknown for several days after Cole flew home, had he not been holding hands with an Englishman. The arrest of Moroccans for “homosexual acts” occurs every day and goes unreported. The scenes of Cole’s family greeting him at Britain’s Gatwick Airport contrast starkly with how gay men are treated in Moroccan society: looked down upon, rejected by their families, dismissed with the Maghrebi Arabic slur zamel.

“More than [Cole’s] own case, what happened to him shows how vulnerable gay Moroccans are,”Abdellah Taïa, a Moroccan writer and filmmaker who now lives in exile, wrote in The Guardian, “They are at the mercy of anyone. Your life can be turned upside down at any moment.” [bold]To the question of what it is like to be gay in Morocco, then, the answer very much means one thing to a Western visitor and quite another to Moroccan nationals, who are considered by their society and their state to be of lesser value.[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 32March 13, 2017 2:18 PM

What r19 said.

by Anonymousreply 33March 13, 2017 2:26 PM

A: Very.

by Anonymousreply 34March 13, 2017 2:43 PM

Why would anyone go there? It seems like a disgusting place to me.

by Anonymousreply 35March 13, 2017 2:48 PM

Let's encourage all the foreigners parking their money in US real estate to go to Dubai instead.

That would be a big step in "Making America Great Again."

by Anonymousreply 36March 13, 2017 3:01 PM

[21] That was not in Dubai, but in Abu Dhabi ... different laws.

by Anonymousreply 37March 13, 2017 3:58 PM

I hear Dubai is an amazing place. Sure, go visit, but DO NOT HAVE SEX THERE. Keep hold of your pants for the few days you're there. You can go to the gay clubs, etc, but DO NOT HAVE SEX THERE.

by Anonymousreply 38March 13, 2017 4:03 PM

Dubai is one of those places that creep me out. It's very, very unnatural. A place build to defy nature. A sandbox for rich sociopaths to amass more power and money. And all the displays of over the top luxury puts me off bigtime.

by Anonymousreply 39March 13, 2017 4:04 PM

Do not go there MARY! I'm telling you now so that I don't have to tell you then!

by Anonymousreply 40March 13, 2017 4:25 PM

I only go when I need to stop to catch the next plane out

by Anonymousreply 41March 13, 2017 9:39 PM

I went to Dubai last year to see what all the fuss was about: Boring! Struck me as a combination of Vegas without the glitz and India. At one point I ended up in a neighborhood where the South Asian workers lived - pretty slummy. The pork section of the supermarket was like an adult bookstore atmosphere. OK for a stopover once, but as a destination in itself, no. The robed and veiled immigration staff were incredibly humorless and depressing.

by Anonymousreply 42March 13, 2017 9:52 PM

by Anonymousreply 43March 16, 2017 12:42 AM

What R11 said is true. Every South and East Asian knows this, even though a lot go to Dubai since they can make more money there in half a year than they can in years in their own country. They also basically enslave blacks as do a lot of other Islamic countries. They literally hate LGBT people, non Muslims, non Arabs, etc.

by Anonymousreply 44November 14, 2018 10:06 PM

How's the cock!?

by Anonymousreply 45November 14, 2018 10:11 PM

R22 Aleppo had it's pleasures as well. Beirut isn't gone, by the way. Jedda and Amman.

Maybe the best arab gay life is in London, Paris and the Côte d'Azur

by Anonymousreply 46November 14, 2018 10:14 PM

Agree with every word R39 said.

Dubai isn't a place I'd spend my money, underneath the glitzy exterior it's a sociopathic state, the ultimate expression of amoral capitalism. I'd never go, and assume that people who do go there to feel like they're the ones enjoying the ill-gotten gains that come from grinding the poor under their heels, and to forget they're actually being ground under the heel of the destructive rich. It's everything I loathe about the modern world localized in over what I assume is a hellmouth.

by Anonymousreply 47November 14, 2018 11:06 PM

Fuck no. I would never go to Dubai or any of those countries. A friend of mine went to Both Dubai and Abu Dhabi when he was in the military and said how everything was overpriced and super expensive, and that the ultra rich Arabs literally think that the entire universe revolves around them, and that rules and laws do not apply to them.

My friend is hetero but he said how the Arabs all get drunk like crazy even though it is completely forbidden in Islam. He just stayed in the tourist areas and I don't think he had sex with any women.

by Anonymousreply 48November 18, 2018 1:53 AM

Avoid that place like the plague.

It's like a Las Vegas run by psychopaths.

by Anonymousreply 49November 18, 2018 1:55 AM

Nuke it.

by Anonymousreply 50November 18, 2018 2:04 AM

All the more reason to keep Islam OUT.

by Anonymousreply 51November 18, 2018 2:05 AM

We should remember homosexuality only became legal in all parts of the USA in 2003. Just 15 years ago and if it were up to quite a few states it would be illegal now. I spent three years teaching in Dubai and the gay scene is very, very active. More so than any other place I have been. It isn't without risk but nothing is really. Go and enjoy yourself. Just remember you must be a little discreet. Use words like friend instead of partner or boyfriend when introducing people. Unless you engage in public sex you will have few if any risks. The apps are hoping there. I wish I could move back.

by Anonymousreply 52November 18, 2018 2:22 AM

No, R52, it isn't without risk and you're lucky you weren't thrown off an ostentatious 25-storey building.

by Anonymousreply 53November 18, 2018 2:24 AM

The crown prince seems like a sensitive soul and isnt married (highly unusual given his age and position). Seems like he is gay. Cute too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54November 18, 2018 2:27 AM

[quote]Why on earth would you want to spend money in a country that would put you to death?

Because let's face it. There are a LOT of unhappy, dystonic and self-annihilating queens out there who feel a desperate NEED to connect with heterosexual masculinity in all its structures---even if it destroys them. Perhaps that's what they want.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55November 18, 2018 2:30 AM

R54 Faz has an ugly, creepy father.

I could well imagine him getting his minions to slaughter the fags.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56November 18, 2018 2:31 AM

[quote]Use words like friend instead of partner or boyfriend when introducing people. Unless you engage in public sex you will have few if any risks. The apps are hoping there. I wish I could move back.

I wish you could.too.

by Anonymousreply 57November 18, 2018 2:35 AM

faz being cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58November 18, 2018 2:55 AM

Arab men seem to display high levels of latent homosexuality, appreciating youthful good looks in their fellow man. Male same-sex social interactions aren't without lots of intimate physical contact and playful banter. Go find somewhere with a good number of Arab immigrants and you'll see what I mean.

Regressive social conservatives may run things there (a veritable wet dream for the American GOP), but the Islamic world is going to implode any minute now and a sexual revolution is in the cards. Not in the immediate future, but young, informed people do exist in these countries including the UAE and they know that they're getting a raw deal.

I'm linking a bullshit article about the famous Arab custom of "nose kissing" which is totally boner-fuelled, super homo intimate act despite the author's insistence of it being innocent. We know what's up. Those cock-hungry Middle Eastern mens can't keep their hands off of each other.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59November 18, 2018 2:56 AM

Fazza; pretty from the front; not so pretty in profile.

by Anonymousreply 60November 18, 2018 2:56 AM

What country in the UE had that gay prince who was caught on tape beating his black sex slave (really!)on an elevator in London and then jailed for murdering him? Is he free now that his father paid the crown to extradite him back or was he murdered by anti gay laws?

by Anonymousreply 61November 18, 2018 3:24 AM

The thing about places like Dubai is you are fine if you are having sex with other westerners, just don't fuck a local. Its locals that need to abide by strict laws, as long as it is just westerners these places turn a blind eye

by Anonymousreply 62November 18, 2018 4:38 AM

The insane compulsion of gays to fetishize and normalize homo-hating societies and cultures. On a gay board.

Madness!

by Anonymousreply 63November 18, 2018 4:44 AM

R62 it was a saudi prince, not UAE

by Anonymousreply 64November 18, 2018 6:07 AM

[Quote] It's everything I loathe about the modern world localized in over what I assume is a hellmouth.

If only they had a Slayer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65November 18, 2018 1:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!