Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you remember Christmas tree tinsel?

I remember when everybody decorated their Christmas trees with tinsel. It came in a box and you would hang it on the branches to simulate icicles. My mother thought it was too messy, so we always used tinsel garland, instead.

I miss the old-fashioned Christmas trees before everyone got all over-the-top and designery with them. They had a warmth and charm that is missing today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87December 20, 2019 7:36 PM

I miss the old plastic lighted decorations like these. I loved these as a child.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 22, 2016 7:05 PM

I like cheerful looking, hodge-podge Christmas trees with ornaments that have meaning. Tinsel adds to that.

by Anonymousreply 2December 22, 2016 7:07 PM

Way to fucking messy. Tried tinsel one year and then vowed never again

by Anonymousreply 3December 22, 2016 7:19 PM

It was too difficult to remove, so after Xmas, people just dragged their tinsel-laden trees to the curb, and the tinsel just looked so fuckin' sad outside in the cold light of day.

by Anonymousreply 4December 22, 2016 7:20 PM

As a kid, I thought it is incredibly funny to see the cat walking around with tinsel hanging out of his ass. As an adult I can see how a cat eating tinsel could well be fatal, but as a kid this was funny.

Two things I really miss about Christmas: one, those ornaments with the liquid in them that would bubble after the bulbs warmed up, and two, I miss the big, 2-1/2 inch colored lights that were so damn hot you'd get 2nd degree burns from touching. Sure, they consumed tons of electricity, and sure, they actually were a fire hazard, but their glow was warm and merry...not anemic and sterile like the LEDs we have today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 22, 2016 7:30 PM

Too messy. Tried them once.

by Anonymousreply 6December 22, 2016 7:57 PM

My parents still use tinsel. I like it, but I don't put it on my tree because it's artificial.

by Anonymousreply 7December 22, 2016 8:00 PM

That's lametta, OP. This is tinsel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 22, 2016 8:10 PM

No, that is garland. Tinsel is in the OP.

by Anonymousreply 9December 22, 2016 8:15 PM

My mom would insist the tinsel be placed on the tree one strand at a time. I wanted to just throw it at the tree by the hand full.

by Anonymousreply 10December 22, 2016 9:28 PM

To compost and recycle your tree you have to get it all off and that's really hard to do, so people don't buy it anymore.

by Anonymousreply 11December 22, 2016 9:40 PM

[quote] I miss the big, 2-1/2 inch colored lights that were so damn hot you'd get 2nd degree burns from touching. Sure, they consumed tons of electricity, and sure, they actually were a fire hazard, but their glow was warm and merry...not anemic and sterile like the LEDs we have today.

Those big old lights were dipped in paint, and that's why they had a warm glow to them. I remember the paint scratching off of a few of my mother's old lights.

by Anonymousreply 12December 22, 2016 9:47 PM

I always wanted my middle name to be "Tinsel".

by Anonymousreply 13December 22, 2016 9:52 PM

One of the best things about the movie Black Christmas is the glow of the Christmas lights. It gives the movie such nostalgic warmth. The red-lighted wreath on the front door is one of my favorite movie props of all time.

I always thought it was eerie the way the Christmas tree was wrapped in that cotton batting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14December 22, 2016 9:53 PM

I just love the standing lamp in OP's picture.

by Anonymousreply 15December 22, 2016 10:13 PM

Your Christmas tree will look the best if Dudley the angel hangs the tinsel.

by Anonymousreply 16December 22, 2016 10:23 PM

Nothing says Christmas like sifting tinsel-woven cat poop out of the litter box!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 22, 2016 10:46 PM

YES! Tinsel and these kind of ornaments.

Trees without tinsel look cheap and boring. And no plastic ornaments, ugh. And the good lights!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 22, 2016 10:48 PM

Colored lights that blink make the tree, not tinsel.

by Anonymousreply 19December 22, 2016 10:55 PM

Isn't tinsel dangerous or something? Where am I getting that idea?

by Anonymousreply 20December 22, 2016 11:02 PM

Let's see; sharp metal strands probably with lead in them? Hmmm....

by Anonymousreply 21December 22, 2016 11:14 PM

My "old-school" stepdad used to get drunk and go crazy with that spray-on snow-flock shit. A beautifully-decorated tree, ruined in seconds.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22December 22, 2016 11:16 PM

Tinsel isn't sharp!

by Anonymousreply 23December 22, 2016 11:42 PM

Yeah, we had designer Christmas trees because my mom was that way already and I always wanted a "real" Christmas tree with tinsel. When I say 'wanted' I mean with the impassioned, unflagging desire of childhood.

by Anonymousreply 24December 22, 2016 11:53 PM

My cousins always had tinsel. The tomboy cousin would throw it on in handfuls, while my goody-goody Melissa Sue Anderson cousin would hang it one...tiny...strand at a time, with a lot of backing up and assessing the effect before hanging the next little strand.

by Anonymousreply 25December 22, 2016 11:57 PM

I remember my first artificial tree. I sat there staring at it, thankful that the sap would no longer be a problem but wondering if I would get cut sitting on it.

by Anonymousreply 26December 23, 2016 12:07 AM

As I was saying....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27December 23, 2016 12:09 AM

My mom really loved Christmas and went all-out with the decorations, mostly things she'd made herself, like a macaroni Christmas tree spray-painted gold, done just right. With tinsel, she placed each of the many strands very carefully amidst all of the ornaments she'd lovingly curated. (No two were alike and she abhorred red and green balls). She wasn't overly frugal, but when the tree came down after New Years, she'd take the tinsel off very carefully, put it back in its box, and SAVE IT UNTIL NEXT YEAR with the rest of the decorations.

My brother and I didn't know any better; we thought that was normal behavior.

by Anonymousreply 28December 23, 2016 12:10 AM

The old kind had lead in it, OP. They still make it but it's mylar or some other plastic and doesn't hang the same. Also it gets statically charged in dry weather.

by Anonymousreply 29December 23, 2016 12:10 AM

Yes, they phased out the old, lead-based tinsel in the 1960s. When my family realized it was happening, we started doing what R28's family did -- saving it from year to year. I bought some about 20 years ago from a place that stocked Germany Christmas decorations.

When I was a kid, we used to have a second tree that was aluminum. And I recall hanging blue tinsel (the plastic kind) on that -- one strand at a time.

I loved bubble lights. We didn't have them, but our neighbor did. And, yes, the old lights had such a warm glow to them. The lights that we strung around the house were the same kind, only larger. My father would pick what seemed like the coldest day of the late fall to put those lights up.

by Anonymousreply 30December 23, 2016 12:53 AM

This great gallery of old-timey pictures of classy ladies in front of tacky trees has been making the rounds -- it seems especially Dataloungey

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31December 23, 2016 12:54 AM

LOOK AT THIS DRUNK

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 23, 2016 12:55 AM

I still put tinsel on my tree but it's gotten tougher and tougher to find every year. Supposedly you can't recycle the tree with tinsel on it? I don't care, a Christmas tree needs to be somewhat gaudy and tacky to be correct

by Anonymousreply 33December 23, 2016 12:57 AM

When we used it, it was called "Icicles" on the box. My family wanted to just put groups of them on the tree and then spread them out, but I preferred to do them one-by-one, carefully hanging each one to make sure it hung straight down and was not interrupted by another branch below it....

by Anonymousreply 34December 23, 2016 1:03 AM

I still put tinsel on my artificial tree. I managed to find both gold and silver tinsel and I save it in a box. It's nice to see when the tree lights are on and the house lights are low. Gives the tree that extra soft sparkle.

by Anonymousreply 35December 23, 2016 1:23 AM

This one had a classic tree my mother never would have allowed:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36December 23, 2016 2:11 AM

When I decorated my grandmother's tree back in the day the tinsel was metallic almost like aluminum foil. As time went on it became more like shiny plastic strands. We haven't used tinsel in many years and I kinda miss it.

by Anonymousreply 37December 23, 2016 2:13 AM

I've always thought that Tinsel Garland would be a great name for a Christmas drag queen.

by Anonymousreply 38December 23, 2016 2:16 AM

I loved it.

And, yes r17, seeing the tinsel in the litter box was always a special treat.

by Anonymousreply 39December 23, 2016 2:19 AM

I wanted tinsel and begged for it every year, but my mother would say "Oh that's so trashy looking! It's the kind of thing Edna has on her tree!" - Edna being her great rival in All Things Domestic. Edna's tree was always a carnival-like conglomeration of colors and lights and miles of fluffy while garland with little red rosebud lights all along it. I thought that was gorgeous and magical. Our tree was flocked with white fake snow and decorated ONLY in green and blue ornaments.

by Anonymousreply 40December 23, 2016 3:43 AM

It makes me sad to think that all of these people are dead and rotting in their graves now.

Oh! Merry Christmas everybody!

by Anonymousreply 41December 23, 2016 3:53 AM

I love the gaudy tinsel draped Christmas trees of my childhood but I also love seeing photos of those almost stark and abstract silver aluminium trees from the 50's and 60's with their one lone ornament at the end of each branch. Can you find replicas of those aluminium trees anywhere?

by Anonymousreply 42December 23, 2016 3:53 AM

I think at least a couple of the pictures in R31 are not real women.

by Anonymousreply 43December 23, 2016 3:58 AM

I always loved the Christmas tree in "Christmas in Connecticut."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44December 23, 2016 4:05 AM

I've always loved the huge tree in "The Man Who Came to Dinner."

Lots and lots of tinsel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45December 23, 2016 4:06 AM

I guess white Christmas trees were a thing in the 50's and 60's? I do miss putting all that crap on the Chrstmas tree

by Anonymousreply 46December 23, 2016 4:13 AM

Tinsel is trashy.

by Anonymousreply 47December 23, 2016 4:24 AM

Thank you for posting that r31!

Say it ain't so r43.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48December 23, 2016 4:40 AM

R34 Yes I remember then being called icicles. It even said so on the box.

Fuck tinsel garland, paper chains were the shit back in the day

by Anonymousreply 49December 23, 2016 4:50 AM

I used to eat it. Between that and our Fiestaware, I'm surprised my toe can't write like a pencil. So much lead.

by Anonymousreply 50December 23, 2016 4:52 AM

Did anyone use to make cranberry and popcorn strings to wrap around the tree instead of garland? I loved doing that as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 51December 23, 2016 5:00 AM

Like so:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52December 23, 2016 5:03 AM

We tried it one year, r51, but gave up because the popcorn broke every time we tried to needle through it.

by Anonymousreply 53December 23, 2016 5:08 AM

The silvery tinsel/icicles reflect the colors and make the tree seem like it has more lights on it that it actually has.

by Anonymousreply 54December 23, 2016 5:18 AM

Who puts tinsel on strand by strand? The best and most fun part of using tinsel is running around the tree and throwing it on in batches. Loved doing that!

by Anonymousreply 55December 23, 2016 5:20 AM

The good old-skool tinsel is impossible to find. Not the ancient lead tinsel, but the tinsel of the 60s/70s/80s.

At some point (in the 90s, maybe?) that stuff all disappeared and was replaced by the current stuff, which is super-narrow mylar fettuccine strands which is JUST NOT THE SAME. It looks almost the same, but doesn't hang the same, and it particularly doesn't feel the same.

The old stuff felt (and [bold]was[/bold]) so delicate...like a wwhhhissper.... (MERRY!)

by Anonymousreply 56December 23, 2016 5:27 AM

The key to popcorn strings is the needle has to go through the actual kernel head. Doofus. I loved tinsel and it made our homespun Christmas trees look great. Trying to recreate this look (I am retro) I bought actual vintage metal tinsel off eBay last year, but it wasn't the same. Now I like a really lovely and bare Frasier fir I can tuck shiny balls into close to the trunk. I've decided the tree should be the centerpiece, and it works. But it has to be a real tree.

by Anonymousreply 57December 23, 2016 5:52 AM

Remember those three horrible turn-of-the-century Christmases when "designers" decided it was tasteful to have those awful super-wide, pre-wired grosgrain sateen ribbons which ran not around, but UP the side of the tree.

Awful and frau-riffic.

I'll bet a sizable number of you old dames still do that. Stop it. It was NEVER elegant.

by Anonymousreply 58December 23, 2016 6:26 AM

Didn't Elvis have a daughter named Tinsel Marie? She was in Plan 9 from Outer Space.

by Anonymousreply 59December 23, 2016 6:29 AM

I was surprised to see that they're still selling angel hair. I always wanted it as a kid but it was forbidden because it was fiberglass. One of my earliest memories is of her sitting in the garage using turpentine to strip the color from small colored bulbs before white was widely available.

No colored bulbs

No fiberglass

No big bulbs

No tinsel

No fun

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60December 23, 2016 6:54 AM

Tara Lipinski is still using the stuff.

My mother never bought any, but we did have just about everything else mentioned here covering the tree. I looooved bubble lights...my grandma had some vintage ones that looked really different from the standard kind you could buy in the '80s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61December 23, 2016 7:26 AM

Why is the title of the thread "Do you remember..." as if tinsel is gone? They sell it in stores every Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 62December 23, 2016 7:33 AM

Grew up with tinsel in the tree and garlands so you know i am old 😊

by Anonymousreply 63December 23, 2016 8:32 AM

didn't they used to put real candles in Xmas trees?

by Anonymousreply 64December 23, 2016 8:38 AM

Yes they did R64, they were attached by clamps that clipped onto the tree branches.

by Anonymousreply 65December 23, 2016 8:58 AM

We hope everyone uses a living tree and then plants it in the backyard after!

by Anonymousreply 66December 23, 2016 9:04 AM

I wanted to get one of those little potted trees this year but I couldn't find one.

by Anonymousreply 67December 23, 2016 9:08 AM

My father grew up in Minnesota, his parents having immigrated from Sweden. He told me that once when he was a boy their Xmas tree with real candles caught fire and his father grabbed it and threw it out in the snow. Merry Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 68December 23, 2016 9:23 AM

Oh Christmas tree, oh Christmas tree...

...I see your steady branches

by Anonymousreply 69December 23, 2016 10:32 AM

I head that green Christmas trees are for normal people and aluminium ones are for gays.

by Anonymousreply 70December 23, 2016 11:28 AM

R40: I feel you. Mom decorated in *fruit, birds and white lights* only one year, but we also had the blue/green-only color scheme. (No red! Red is trashy! No icicles! They are a mess!!) what says Christmas like fake bananas, pears, and oranges on a tree?

R51: Eventually my begging paid off (together with encroaching middle-aged parental ennui) and I got a real tree one year - you bet I did the popcorn and cranberry strands made with clear, plastic nylon thread. Ouch. Thimble or accuracy/speed? You decide.

by Anonymousreply 71December 23, 2016 4:00 PM

I have reusable tinsel. I bought them when they first came out, so they are thin and bright. They're not chunky dark spiral tin like the more recent reusable tinsel.

I go for gaudy for Christmas because that's what my parents and grandparents did. There was no theme to their Christmas trees. Just a lot of different color glass ornaments (Shiny Brite brand), colored lights, tinsel and my grandmother would make a knitted ornament every year.. My dad used the heavy lead tinsel and reused it every year.

I still have some of the knitted ornaments my grandmother and my late aunt made. I also have Shiny Bright indents, tear drops, tornadoes and glitter "flocked" ornaments. Every year one breaks, so this year I went online to find a store that sells replacements. Well, there's no such store. Everything is big shatterproof balls and long diamond shaped ornaments now, and they are sold in round plastic bins with matching colors.

I went to ebay and holy shit! I can't believe what people are asking for old ornaments. I used to go to Harrow's after Christmas and get those ornaments for 75% off, so a whole box of them cost me $2 or $3.

Someone is asking $115 for those cheap looking clip-on bird ornaments with the white straw tails that keep falling out.

I know that Radko guy makes retro ornaments but they are all pastel matcha-match colors and I'm not into that.

by Anonymousreply 72December 23, 2016 4:15 PM

Sorry. Matchy match

by Anonymousreply 73December 23, 2016 4:17 PM

I also miss Angel Hair, which was spun glass. It gave the tree an iridescent glow while being extremely dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 74December 23, 2016 4:37 PM

I remember when bread dough ornaments were all the rage in the early '80s. My mother and I made a bunch of them one year. You had to bake them in the oven until they dried out, and then you painted and shellacked them. Looking back, they were so tacky.

by Anonymousreply 75December 23, 2016 5:19 PM

Too much is never enough.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76December 23, 2016 8:20 PM

R74, we had a tree topper that was an angel completely encircled in angel hair -- i.e., fiberglass. I hated touching that thing because no matter how careful I tried to be it was impossible not to get a few tiny shards in my fingers. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 77December 23, 2016 11:27 PM

Reading this thread reminds me how much easier life would have been for each and every one of us gaylings if we had had the internet and known that we were not alone in the universe.

by Anonymousreply 78December 23, 2016 11:38 PM

no

by Anonymousreply 79December 20, 2019 5:49 PM

I've always loved tinsel but we were never able to use it growing up because we always had cats and my mom said it could make them sick. As an adult I've always had cats too so no tinsel. We never had ribbons either for the same reason lol

by Anonymousreply 80December 20, 2019 5:58 PM

How many innocent wild animals never had another Merry Christmas after eating the tinsel from your discarded tree?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81December 20, 2019 5:59 PM

I never really cared for it myself but remember it fondly. It was just something you put on your tree.

by Anonymousreply 82December 20, 2019 6:05 PM

r18 unfortunately, those delicate glass ornaments rarely made it through two seasons, at least mine never did

by Anonymousreply 83December 20, 2019 6:12 PM

R31, thank you. That was fascinating. So very Diane Arbus-y. I loved it.

by Anonymousreply 84December 20, 2019 6:19 PM

When I was a kid we always had white lights because my mom thought colored lights were tacky. Especially the blinking ones. If we went to someone’s house who had them, she’d say “Oh! How festive.”

I do love our ornaments because they all have a special meaning and provenance. Now that I’m older, I really do appreciate having them.

by Anonymousreply 85December 20, 2019 6:30 PM

OP - learn the difference between tinsel and icicles.

by Anonymousreply 86December 20, 2019 6:41 PM

I love the ornaments at Daiso

by Anonymousreply 87December 20, 2019 7:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!